PDA

View Full Version : Map Makers for Horror Games

Octopusapult
2015-07-17, 04:53 PM
There's so many map makers and generators for fantasy games you could trip over them, but I can never find decent ones for the horror genre. Anyone know any decent ones that are designed to handle different Genres or that will work the same way?

And in anticipation of the "just use the fantasy generators and convert them to horror" posts that may come up, I've considered it, it could work, but I'm wondering if there's anything specifically designed for horror out there that I'm just missing.

VoxRationis
2015-07-17, 05:47 PM
How does one specifically make a map generator for horror? What about that genre demands difference on a cartographical level?

Octopusapult
2015-07-17, 08:06 PM
How does one specifically make a map generator for horror? What about that genre demands difference on a cartographical level?

I think most map generators are made to answer the "I need a quick dungeon crawl" need and I want to run horror that doesn't feel like a dungeon crawl. To use a movie example, the Nostramo doesn't piece together the way a D&D map generator could represent.

If anyone has played the Gears of War boardgame or the Zombies!!! game by Twilight Creations, they use these tile decks that players draw and add to the map. Those tiles are wide and dark and really unlike the kind of "Hallway to a room with goblins leading to some other hallways which are full of more goblins" type of generators that you can find a dozen of on the internet. I think I'm hoping for something closer to those that can generate modern feeling areas rather than crypts and dungeons.

(I would just use those tiles from Zombies or GoW but I think they're both a little too specific to their respective themes for me. It might come to that though.)

Elvenoutrider
2015-07-18, 02:30 PM
Honestly? Maptool. Make your map, upload the image, adjust the grid to fit and use tokentool to make custom tokens for your monsters and players