PDA

View Full Version : 'Lock or Sorc? Converting PF Oracle of the Dark Tapestry, Level 11

Captain Morgan
2015-07-17, 05:33 PM
Hey folks! Our homegame has just decided to convert to 5e, and I'm extremely new to the system. I am porting over a level 11 Oracle of the Dark Tapestry, who always had a casting, conjuration, and control focus using Pathfinder spells like Summon Monster, Spiritual Weapon, Black Tentacles, and Chain of Perdition. Dude could fly all day and do other whacky things.

Not all of these powers are going to survive the transition, and with the new concentration rules I'm not going to be able to maintain everything at once. I saw that someone has started converting the Oracle class, but hasn't done the Dark Tapestry mystery yet. Also, the paired down divine spell list hurts my interest a bit too.

I think instead I'd like to use the existing classes to rebuild. The main contender is the Warlock. Flavor wise, The Great Old One and Fiendish pacts are perfect. My DM has authorized me to mix and match their features a bit to better suit the original character, and choose Conjure Animals as one of my spells because critter summoning was integral to the character.

Without having a ton of familiarity with the system though, it's hard for me to tell how it would stack up to a Sorcerer. The Warlock's invocations grant a bunch of sweet at will abilities, and Eldritch Blast seems like nice consistent damage. (I guess, no idea how damage scales.) Honestly, the two almost seem like a wash at this level with the Warlock maybe being simpler, but the Sorc might pull ahead as it gains access to higher level spells.

Also, there seem to be some neat interactions one can pull by multiclassing into a SorcLock, but I don't really know how to figure that out here. Sorc or SorcLock also evidently opens up a door to multiple concentration spells at once with Twinning, which would be pretty dandy.

I'm not really sure what the party composition will look like after this conversion, but I will say I've tended to out optimize my party by a fair margin, so I probably shouldn't sweat being a little suboptimal.

Game has tended to be low on encounters, with a lot of skills checks, so utility is a dandy thing.

What say y'all?

Thanks!

Pex
2015-07-17, 06:03 PM
Another possibility is Moon Druid due to its expertise in wildshape. Flavor text what you need. You can shy away from the more overt nature-themed spells, but Entangle is good for a Black Tentacles substitute. Flaming Sphere and Heat Metal can work with the theme.

Captain Morgan
2015-07-17, 06:18 PM
Another possibility is Moon Druid due to its expertise in wildshape. Flavor text what you need. You can shy away from the more overt nature-themed spells, but Entangle is good for a Black Tentacles substitute. Flaming Sphere and Heat Metal can work with the theme.

Hmmm, cool suggestion. Didn't really want this guy as frontline melee type, though, which is what I think when someone says Wild Shape. I mostly used Many Forms for disguise purposes before.

Pex
2015-07-18, 04:18 PM
Land Druid also has Wild Shape, just not as strong. It can be used for disguises and infiltration.

Ralanr
2015-07-18, 06:40 PM
Warlock (fits the theme a bit, not all pacts are made with you. Damn grandparents).

Mystic arcanum: Conjure Fey.

Arms of hadar, hunger of hadar, and (GOO) Evards black tentacles.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-19, 12:33 PM
Also, warlock invocations are probably the closest thing we have to the oracle's discoveries. I've been thinking about ways to convert the oracle to 5e, and I can't decide between cleric or warlock for the base.

Ralanr
2015-07-19, 12:59 PM
Also, warlock invocations are probably the closest thing we have to the oracle's discoveries. I've been thinking about ways to convert the oracle to 5e, and I can't decide between cleric or warlock for the base.

Depends on the origin, though multiclassing warlock and cleric (or a divine connected class like favored soul) is probably the best way to port oracle.