PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Fallout [d20 Modern Fallout Campaign]

DigoDragon
2015-07-17, 07:51 PM
Atomic Fallout

A Fallout-style d20 Modern campaign setting

[Edits will go here in the OP]
I want to run a Fallout-style campaign and I feel that d20 Modern is a good fit for my system needs. However, the few Fallout settings that I've found which use the d20 system aren't to my liking, so I decided to build my own. The trickiest part will be creating a few LA+0 race choices for my players to pick from (because level adjustments annoy me). :smalltongue:

One thing I'd like to say up front is that I'm not looking for absolute accuracy with respect to Fallout lore. I am flavoring the races to resemble what's found in the Fallout universe, but certain aspects have been changed so that each race is comparable with one another.

1. Races:

Human
Humans still remain by far the most prolific of the intelligent species. Their looks (and health) vary widely depending on where they were raised, and each one is capable of being a violent killer just as equally as a good samaritan.

Size: Medium. Humans have no special bonus or penalty due to their size.
Human base land speed is 30 feet.
Talented: At 1st level humans begin with two bonus feats (instead of one) and an additional 4 skill points. At every level increase, they gain an additional skill point above the listed amount earned for their new class level.

Ghoul
Ghouls (a.k.a. necrotic post-humans) are mutants created by intense, prolonged dosages of radiation. They appear as decayed, ‘zombie-like’ humans with rotted skin, raspy voices, and minimal hair. They are sterile, but still possess much of their biological functions, are immune to radiation, and do not appear to age. Older ghouls usually turn feral, preying upon the flesh of unsuspecting travelers. Those that retain their mental faculties can live a long time and in fact the oldest ghouls were once ‘living’ humans from the days before the Great War. Ghouls may seem more jaded in their personality, likely due to their condition and poor treatment by humans.

+2 CON, -2 CHA. The necrosis within Ghoul bodies has hardened them to be resilient, but they are shunned from most human settlements for looking like the undead.
Size: Medium. Ghouls have no special bonus or penalty due to their size.
Ghoul base land speed is 30 feet.
Radiation Immunity: Ghouls are immune to the negative effects of radiation.
Half-life Human: 3/day, a Ghoul may draw upon the background radiation to heal themselves for a number of HP equal to their character level plus CON modifier.

Humanoid Robot
The technology prior to the end of the Great War saw impressive advances in the realm of robotics and artificial intelligence. Robots were nearing a ubiquitous status in the lives of people the world over, from Mister Handy servants in the home to humanoid soldiers on the battlefield. These machines fared no better than humans when the bombs fell; their electronics fried from the radiation and EMP blasts. Those that survived the war struggle for maintenance. Humanoid Robots have true AI minds and individual personalities. Their metal bodies can’t pass off as human, but they can use human equipment which makes them useful in society as laborers. Unfortunately the knowledge of building their AI has been lost, making these remaining machines the last of their kind and very valuable.

+2 CON, -2 INT, -2 CHA. Humanoid Robots are very sturdy, but their AI minds are simpler than the average human brain.
Size: Medium. Humanoid Robots have no special bonus or penalty due to their size.
Humanoid Robot base land speed is 30 feet.
AI Construct: Humanoid Robots are immune to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and effects that cause the sickened condition. They do not need to eat, sleep or breathe, but cannot benefit from consumable such as drugs and stim-paks.
Humanoid Robots are not immune to radiation, critical hits, non-lethal damage, stunning, ability damage, ability drain, and death effects. At 0 hit points they are disabled, but are considered stable at negative hit points. At -10 hit points they are completely destroyed and not repairable.
Repairs: Humanoid Robots do not heal naturally. They can be repaired using the Repair skill. A successful check (DC 20) and one hour’s time will restore either 1d10 hit points, 1 point of ability damage in each affected attribute, or remove 1 degree of radiation. A robot with working arms and fingers can make repairs to themselves. Basic tools are required to perform this check.

Super Mutant
During the Great War there were many engineered viruses designed to mutate humans into effective ‘super soldiers’. Results varied, but in the aftermath certain strains of these Forced Evolutionary Viruses have created a population of large humans known colloquially as Super Mutants. They tower in size and strength over ordinary humans, being as tall as 7’ 6”, but are often without grace. They commonly have green, gray, or yellowish skin tones, leathery skin, and no hair. They are sterile, and the only known method of creating more Super Mutants is by exposing humans to the FEV strain. The few ‘civil’ Super Mutants are usually allowed in human settlements, but are generally mistrusted.

+2 STR, -2 DEX. Super Mutants are stronger and more aggressive than humans, but lack finesse in their movements.
Size: Medium. Super Mutants have no special bonus or penalty due to their size.
Super Mutant base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 Racial bonus on Intimidate checks and Spot checks.
Radiation Resistance: +2 bonus on saving throws to resist CON damage from radiation exposure, and the level of radiation exposed to is treated as one degree weaker. This resistance stacks with drugs that grant radiation resistance, such as Rad-X.
Big Grip: Super Mutants treat all held weapons as one size category smaller for purposes of their ability to wield them.

Nightkin
Nightkin are an offshoot of the Super Mutants species that came about from the overuse of Stealth Boy technology. They have pale blue skin and lack the raw power of the standard Super Mutant, but make up for this with incredible dexterity intelligence. They still have an impressive height above most humans and are sought for their skills as spies and assassins in many armies. Many Nightkin suffer from a form self-consciousness or are reclusive due to so much time spent in stealth.

+2 DEX, -2 WIS, -2 CHA. Nightkin are agile, but can be reclusive or avoidant.
Size: Medium. Nightkin have no special bonus or penalty due to their size.
Nightkin base land speed is 30 feet.
+2 Racial bonus on Navigate checks and Search checks.
Radiation Resistance: +2 bonus on saving throws to resist CON damage from radiation exposure, and the level of radiation exposed to is treated as one degree weaker. This resistance stacks with drugs that grant radiation resistance, such as Rad-X.
Big Grip: Nightkin treat all held weapons as one size category smaller for purposes of their ability to wield them.

I also put together a height/weight chart for players who like rolling those stats:

Race
Base Height
Height Modifier
Base Weight
Weight Modifier

Human
4' 10"
+2d10
120 lb.
x(2d4) lb.

Ghoul
4' 7"
+2d8
100 lb.
x(2d4) lb.

Humanoid Robot
4' 10"
+2d12
150 lb.
x(2d6) lb.

Super Mutant
6' 0"
+2d12
220 lb.
x(2d6) lb.

Nightkin
5' 2'
+2d10
160 lb.
x(2d4) lb.

2. Traits:

Traits are an advantage that comes with an attached disadvantage. They can add a bit of flavor to a character, but are optional (players will choose one, two, or zero traits at character creation). I've put together a list of possible traits and attempted to make the positive and negative effects balanced.

List of Traits

Abrasive Tongue: You gain a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks, but suffer a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks and Bluff checks.
Absent Minded: You gain a +2 bonus on Knowledge checks, but suffer a -2 penalty on Spot and Listen checks. You still must have at least 1 rank in a Knowledge skill to use it.
Bruiser: You gain a +1 bonus on damage with unarmed and melee attacks, but suffer a -2 penalty on Initiative.
Built to Destroy: The crit range for any weapon you use is 1 greater (i.e. 19-20 instead of 20), but you suffer the effect of a critical failure on a roll of 1 or 2 (rather than just a 1).

Chem Reliant: Chems last 50% longer, but you suffer a -2 penalty on saving throws to resist addiction. You cannot take this trait with Chem Resistant.
Chem Resistant: You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws to resist addiction, but chems last half as long. You cannot take this trait with Chem Reliant.
Dishonest Heart: You gain a +2 bonus to Bluff checks, but suffer a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks and Intimidate checks.
Distinctive Looks: You gain a +2 Reputation bonus, but suffer a -2 penalty on Disguise checks.

Fast Metabolism: You regain 1.5 times as many hit points from natural healing, but you suffer a -2 penalty on saving throws to resist Poison and Radiation effects. Humanoid Robots cannot take this Trait.
Fast Shot: Your attacks with firearms and ranged energy weapons deal a +1 extra point of damage per die, but these attacks suffer a -1 penalty to hit. You cannot take this Trait with Trigger Discipline.
Four Eyes: You gain a +2 bonus to Spot and Search checks while wearing glasses, but suffer a -2 penalty to Spot and Search without them.
Good Natured: You gain a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks, but suffer a -2 penalty on Intimidate checks and Bluff checks.

Heavy Handed: You gain a +2 bonus on damage with unarmed and melee attacks, but suffer a -1 penalty to Computer Use, Craft, Demolitions, Disable Device, Repair, Sleight of Hand, and Treat Injury skills.
Illiterate: Choose any one skill except for Decipher Script or Forgery. You gain a +2 bonus to checks using that skill, but are considered Illiterate. In order to gain literacy, you must spend 2 skill points.
Jinxed: Your chances of a critical fail occur on a roll of a 1 or 2 (instead of just a 1), but anyone targeting you with an attack also suffers this penalty.
Kamikaze: You gain a +2 bonus to Initiative checks, but a -1 penalty to Defense.

Large Frame: You gain a +2 bonus on Strength-based skill checks and +20% bonus to your Carry weight, but suffer a -2 penalty on Dexterity-based skill checks and -1 penalty to Defense. You cannot take this Trait with Small Frame.
Night Person: You gain a +1 bonus to all Skill checks during night hours (6pm to 6am), but suffer a -1 penalty to all skill checks during day hours (6am to 6pm). This Trait affects your internal clock and is not affected by being indoors. Humanoid Robots may not take this Trait.
One-Hander: Choose a handedness (Left or Right). You gain a +1 bonus to attacks made with one-handed weapons using this hand, but suffer a -1 penalty to attacks made with two-handed weapons (or one-handed weapons used with both hands).
Sex Appeal: You gain a +2 bonus on Charisma-based skill checks when interacting with those of your race who are attracted to your gender, but suffer a -2 penalty to those same checks when dealing with those of your race who are not attracted to your gender.

Small Frame: You gain a +2 bonus on Dexterity-based skill checks and a +1 bonus to Defense, but suffer a -2 penalty on Strength-based skill checks and -20% to your Carry weight. You cannot take this Trait with Large Frame.
Tech Wizard: Choose one of the following skills: Computer Use, Craft (Chemical, Electronic, Mechanical), Disable Device, or Repair. You gain a +2 bonus on checks with this skill, but you also suffer a -2 penalty to Listen checks and Spot checks for the duration of the task. Trained Only skills still require at least 1 rank to use.
Trigger Discipline: You gain a +1 bonus to hit with firearms and ranged energy weapons, but these attacks suffer a -1 point penalty to damage per die. You cannot take this Trait with Fast Shot.
Vault Dweller: You begin the game with a Pipboy, but suffer a -2 penalty to Survival skill checks and a -1 penalty to saving throws against Poison and Radiation effects.

Notes:
The Pipboy will be a rare item, not easily obtainable through play. It will be a combination Geiger Counter/Radio Receiver/Holotape reader (think 3D holographic recordings)/ and Flash Drive (for storing data like messages and maps).

I got a copy of d20 Apocalypse and will use the Bartering system from that book for my campaign.

cavalieredraghi
2015-07-25, 01:25 AM
I have to admit this awesome, infact I am going to show this to my DM that is doing a D&D d20 Apocalypse crossover. I hope we can in corporate this.

DigoDragon
2015-07-26, 09:00 AM
I have to admit this awesome, infact I am going to show this to my DM that is doing a D&D d20 Apocalypse crossover. I hope we can in corporate this.

Thanks! Glad they'll at least inspire talks. I made a slight adjustment to the Super Mutant and Nightkin abilities (added a couple bonuses to skills and changed the radiation resistance so that the ghouls have the edge).

inuyasha
2015-07-26, 03:48 PM
I would give Ghouls a Con boost instead of wisdom, as they are much hardier than most humans. I don't really know if wisdom is appropriate...

This is a really cool project though and it would be nice to see it grow!

cavalieredraghi
2015-07-26, 03:51 PM
He has a point i mean look at Herbert, He lived for centuries with a tree growing out of his head.

DigoDragon
2015-07-27, 08:53 AM
I would give Ghouls a Con boost instead of wisdom, as they are much hardier than most humans. I don't really know if wisdom is appropriate...

He has a point i mean look at Herbert, He lived for centuries with a tree growing out of his head.

Fair enough! I'll make the adjustment.

This is a really cool project though and it would be nice to see it grow!

I'm hoping to run a PbP game in a few months time once the system is completed.

Gnorman
2015-07-27, 11:56 PM
The Super Mutant description ("their minds and personalities have dulled from their mutation") seems inconsistent with the actual penalty (-2 DEX).

Also, I'd suggest an ability to further differentiate Nightkin from Super Mutants. Perhaps something to do with stealth boys?

DigoDragon
2015-07-28, 12:22 PM
The Super Mutant description ("their minds and personalities have dulled from their mutation") seems inconsistent with the actual penalty (-2 DEX).

Also, I'd suggest an ability to further differentiate Nightkin from Super Mutants. Perhaps something to do with stealth boys?

Good catch. I've fixed the Super Mutant entry.

I'm thinking of ideas for the Nightkin. I don't know if an ability that is reliant on having a specific item is useful, but maybe something still stealth related-- perhaps removing or reducing the -5 penalty for moving more than half speed when using stealth?