PDA

View Full Version : Petal Hulking Hurler

Bad Wolf
2015-07-17, 09:18 PM
Thought about it, just for laughs. Is this possible?

2015-07-17, 09:24 PM
Saw double there for a minute. I'll just delete my duplicate thread...

OldTrees1
2015-07-17, 09:25 PM
So you start out as Tiny(via the Petal race) and need to reach Large(Hulking Hurler prereq). That is 3 size categories so the 7pp version of Expansion is out unless we get a stacking size increase elsewhere.

2015-07-17, 09:26 PM
My first thought was Wu Jen 17/Hulking Hurler 3, casting 9th level spells most of the time, and whipping out Giant Size when you want to get damage numbers that make the ubercharge cry in shame.

EDIT: Of course, this runs into the problem of the Petal's ECL; would this build be epic?

EDIT 2: If it helps, you only need Wu Jen 13 to pull this off (and really, only 1-2 Hulking Hurler levels). That gives us 5-6 levels to play with via ECL; can we fit the petal in there?

EDIT 3: Polymorph Any Object or Shapechange, perhaps?

EDIT: PaO can play around with mental stats, but Shapechange doesn't. On the other hand, can you cast Giant Size on your Shapechanged form?

Bad Wolf
2015-07-17, 09:44 PM
Petal has 2 LA, which can be paid off by level nine, if that helps.

Renen
2015-07-17, 10:10 PM
So we gotta large...
I say we do:
Lycantrope trope to boost us to small (Unless hybrid Form can boost us all the way to large)
Half Minotaur and Half Ogre to boost us to medium and then large.

Since this is gonna b main thread.
Done it that way in hopes of avoiding needing to cast spells, and having the problem of not qualifying for the class if spells aren't on me.

Story
2015-07-17, 10:27 PM
Savage Species suggests that inherited templates can be added to an existing character with DM permission.

So become a Thrall of Kostchtchie (ECL15 with a major bloodline and LA buyoff) or Dragonborn Waker of the Beast (ECL12), and then acquire the Half Minotaur and Half Ogre templates. Boom, large size.

Sayt
2015-07-17, 10:28 PM
Does three levels of Stoneblessed (Goliath), Barbarian 1 (Goliarth Racial level) cut it?

Story
2015-07-17, 10:34 PM
Does three levels of Stoneblessed (Goliath), Barbarian 1 (Goliarth Racial level) cut it?

That's a clever one. You'd have to be a Dragonborn to get rid of the Fey type first, but I think it works. The main question is whether being Large for a couple rounds a day is sufficient to qualify for Hulking Hurler.

Though now that I think about it, you can just take that one Barbarian ACF that makes you rage at low HP and just keep your HP low all the time to perma-rage. Of course, that probably doesn't work by RAW, since Mountain Rage technically replaces normal Rage.

2015-07-17, 10:39 PM
It sort of works, but it's really cheaty, and probably not worth it anyway. To qualify, you have to level up while you meet the pre-reqs (so, while you're raging), and the only time you gain the benefits of the PrC are when you qualify (so, when you're raging). This only gets you a few rounds a day of Hulking Hurler cheese.

Renen
2015-07-17, 10:45 PM
Does being a Lycantrope and in hybrid Form allow you to have permanently larger size?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-17, 11:09 PM
So did you actually both have the same idea within four minutes, or did someone mention the concept in another thread? :smallbiggrin:

Regardless, Necroticplague's mention in the other thread of Half-Goristo works. Sets creature size to Huge.

Bad Wolf
2015-07-17, 11:11 PM
I mentioned it to him, we both made threads. And where's half-goristo from? I remember it being associated with that minotaur demon lord...

Necroticplague
2015-07-17, 11:14 PM
I mentioned it to him, we both made threads. And where's half-goristo from? I remember it being associated with that minotaur demon lord...

An online article about variant half-fiends. Give me a moment, and I'll have the link.

EDIT: Here it is (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a).

Bad Wolf
2015-07-17, 11:35 PM
A Half demon-bull Petal...

That leaves us with 6 LA and 12 levels to play with, 13 with buyoff. +24 to strength, -2 to Dexterity, +10 to Constitution, +4 to Intelligence, and +10 to Charisma, if I'm reading the size improving table correctly.

EDIT: Forgot to account for another +10 to Constitution from size changing, and +10 natural armor from the template and the size changing. And -4 to AC/Attack.

EDIT 2: And if we use the Dragonborn template, another +2 to Constitution and a -2 to Dexterity.

2015-07-18, 12:17 AM
I still prefer Petal Wu Jen 13/Hulking Hurler 2/Wu Jen X (or some similar build using a full caster PrC) using Giant Size to qualify. Near-full casting most of the time, Hulking Hurler when you need it.

Baroknik
2015-07-18, 12:22 AM

That entry is generally best for warhulk anyway, as it allows you to avoid the No Time to Think class feature when you aren't raging. It's the basis of my Bruce banner build

Story
2015-07-18, 10:33 AM
Warhulk is from Minature Handbook though, so it's not clear if you lose the abilities when you don't meet the prerequisites.

Hulking Hurler is from CW, where you specifically do have to meet the prereqs.

Bad Wolf
2015-07-18, 11:12 AM
I still prefer Petal Wu Jen 13/Hulking Hurler 2/Wu Jen X (or some similar build using a full caster PrC) using Giant Size to qualify. Near-full casting most of the time, Hulking Hurler when you need it.

Does that work?

2015-07-18, 12:22 PM
Does that work?

To take a level in a PrC, you have to qualify when you take the level; if you're Enlarged for whatever reason, even temporarily, you meet the size pre-req for Hulking Hurler. The flip side of this is that you only get the benefits of Hulking Hurler when you meet the pre-reqs, so unless you're currently using Giant Size, your Petal Wu Jen can't toss boulders like pebbles.

Also, Giant Size doesn't increase your size by X sizes, it makes you Huge/Gargantuan/Colossal depending on CL, and that's easy to optimize. Plus, once again: whenever you're not going full Hulking Hurler, you've got powerful casting; it's been delayed by Petal LA and the Hulking Hurler levels, but it's still 7th level spells.

Username.
2015-07-18, 03:00 PM
The Planar Touchstone (feat) Sunken City of Pazar gets you 1 minute of virtual size bonus per day.

Bear Warrior, or Wildshape, nets you a new form with a new size.