PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Avariel (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-07-18, 05:38 AM
Avariel
You are a member of the elvish race who has adapted to life in the skies. Often mistaken for the Angels from the Astral Plane, these beings are visions of heavenly beauty. In addition to the basic Elvish racial traits, you gain the following traits.

Elemental Vulnerability. You have vulnerability to cold damage.
Flight. You have a flying speed of 50 feet. To use this speed you cannot be wearing medium or heavy armor.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight while you are flying.
Elf Weapon Training. You are proficient with spears, shortbows, scimitars, and rapiers.

I realize that they're elves that fly, and they only get one disadvantage in Sunlight Sensitivity, however, I feel that that's a much bigger drawback for these guys than the Drow, since their big racial feature practically encourages them to be in direct sunlight.

Thoughts?

Lord Raziere
2015-07-18, 05:47 AM

ok, but why would they have sunlight sensitivity? if they fly in the daylight often, wouldn't they adapt? are they nocturnal and normally only fly at night or something, why?

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-07-18, 07:15 AM
Got to agree with Raziere, sunlight sensitivity seems ridiculous for these guys. Might I suggest an elemental vulnerability (probably fire or cold) instead?

eleazzaar
2015-07-18, 10:27 AM
Still overpowered. Flight alone is distinctly better than all the subrace abilities any elf gets.

Off the top of my head, if I was going to do them as a subrace, which I probably wouldn't, since they are different enough, i'd give them

Frail. -2 Con
Flight. as written
Then there's room for maybe a minor advantage, such as the weapon training.

That's All, no ASI. Flight is a major trait, you can't balance it with a situational disadvantage, such as sunlight sensativity.

Wartex1
2015-07-18, 12:55 PM
Actually, you could remove Darkvision from the Avariel since they don't dwell in forests.

DracoKnight
2015-07-18, 03:17 PM

ok, but why would they have sunlight sensitivity? if they fly in the daylight often, wouldn't they adapt? are they nocturnal and normally only fly at night or something, why?

I guess it was to reflect that if they looked directly into the sun they'd have a hard time maintaining flight. But, I guess you're right: it doesn't make as much sense as I thought it did. (It was kinda intended to be a nod to Icarus.)

Got to agree with Raziere, sunlight sensitivity seems ridiculous for these guys. Might I suggest an elemental vulnerability (probably fire or cold) instead?

I could see them being vulnerable to cold damage. I see them thriving on warmth, but cold screws with them.

Still overpowered. Flight alone is distinctly better than all the subrace abilities any elf gets.

Off the top of my head, if I was going to do them as a subrace, which I probably wouldn't, since they are different enough, i'd give them

Frail. -2 Con
Flight. as written
Then there's room for maybe a minor advantage, such as the weapon training.

That's All, no ASI. Flight is a major trait, you can't balance it with a situational disadvantage, such as sunlight sensativity.

I get that flight is a HUGE boon, but that still doesn't fit with the balance of the rest of 5e. Everything gets an ASI and nothing takes a negative to a stat. Even the Aarakocra did, and they didn't have a drawback like Sunlight Sensitivity.

Actually, you could remove Darkvision from the Avariel since they don't dwell in forests.

Hmmmm...that would actually be a good idea...I like that.

eleazzaar
2015-07-18, 04:16 PM
II get that flight is a HUGE boon, but that still doesn't fit with the balance of the rest of 5e. Everything gets an ASI and nothing takes a negative to a stat. Even the Aarakocra did, and they didn't have a drawback like Sunlight Sensitivity.

Is this not an elf sub-species? If they are they still get the +2 ASI which is the same that the UA minotaru and the variant human get.

Don't like the -2 to CON? Well think of something else of equal value. Cold vulnerabilty is only about half-way there. Take away some of the stuff from the elf base race.

DracoKnight
2015-07-18, 04:35 PM
Is this not an elf sub-species? If they are they still get the +2 ASI which is the same that the UA minotaru and the variant human get.

Don't like the -2 to CON? Well think of something else of equal value. Cold vulnerabilty is only about half-way there. Take away some of the stuff from the elf base race.

Okay. You were talking subrace ASI. It seemed to me (and I know now that I was wrong) that you were talking about the entirety of their ASIs. Never mind.

They have Cold Vulnerability all the time, and Sunlight Sensitivity while they are flying. I think that's a pretty significant drawback.