PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a Faerie Dragon PC

Wacky89
2015-07-18, 08:40 AM
Hi I'm building a Faerie Dragon (Yes I understand it's not that great :D) for a Dungeon crawl kind of campaign, ECL 12.
Bear with me, my native language is not english.

So I start out with 8 RHD and LA of +2, I'm kinda lost on what classes to pick after.
I was looking at Bard for some Inspire Courage (DFI is unfortunately banned), then I looked at Ur-Priest (Can't meet prerequisites after my RHD).
I want to make the most use of the breath weapon since it's pretty damn great, will save or daze for 1d6 rounds with no CD + it has some nifty racial traits and spell-like abilities.
Then I was looking at the magic items I wanted, then I noticed I need 2 throat slots (Amulet of Health, Badge of Valor). We're not allowed to use alternative slots for stat boosters and we cannot combine magic items. The Ur-Priest also wanted health+wisdod, 2 throat slots. We're also only allowed 3 non-core sources. Our "core" is: DMG/PHB+PHBII/MMI + MiC and SpC
I'm open to most suggestions, here's the stat modifiers for a faerie dragon: +2 Str/+8 Dex/+2 Con/+4 Int/+6 Wis/+6 Cha

I'll add character creation rules in this spoiler:

You may only have one character. If it dies you can choose to create a new character or revive him/her if you have the funds to do so.

Level 12
88,000 GP Starting Gold
40 Point Buy
Max HP per level
At level 0 your character cannot have an Ability Score higher than 24.
At Level 0 your character cannot have an ability score lower than 10
Unspent Starting gold disappears.
Crafting may not be done before a character participates in a session.
You may build with all Core Books + 3 Non Core Sources of Your Choosing
Core Sources - DMG/PHB+PHBII/MMI + MiC and SpC
Non Core Sources - Anything Published by Wizards(Including Dragon Magazine and Web Enhancements)
No Unearthed Arcana besides flaws and traits. (Two of Each) These don't count towards your book limit
No Dragon Compendium
If a book refers to another book, you may only use the things referred to in said other book.

Example of a Properly Formatted Character Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=269322
Templates Rules
LA 0 Templates are Universally Banned
Banned Templates
Saint
Half Ogre
Half Minotaur
One template max, no templates greater than +2.
No LA buyoff
Race Rules
Banned Races
Lesser Planetouched
Savage Progression is banned
You may take any race, with no limit to RHD/LA
Class Rules
No Early Entry for PrCs.
Variant Prerequisites on PrCs do not exist.
No Penalty for Multiclassing
Banned Classes and Prestige Class
Cancer Mage
Incantantrix
Frenzied Berserker
Tainted Scholar
Master of Many Forms
Runecaster
Planar Shepherd
Feat Rules
Additional feat every fourth level.
Dragonwrought Kobolds may not have caster levels or manifester levels.
Divine Metamagic is banned
You may not gain vile feats from worshipping an elder evil
No Leadership or leadership like effects.
Metamagics can’t be reduced below +1, or +0 for metamagics without an adjust.
Persistent Metamagic is banned.
Words of Creation are banned.
Dragonfire Inspiration is banned.

Class Feature Rules

Spell Domain is Banned
Jade phoenix mage's swift action cheese doesn’t work.
Pets are standard for their type, for example No magebred warbeast mineral warrior Fleshraker animal companion.

Spell/Psionic Rules

Banned Spells
Time Stop Effects
Wish Type Spells
Shivering Touch
Psionic Summoning effects
Fabricate
Polymorph Spells
Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos
Psychic Reformation
We use Transparency
All versions of Celerity's daze effect can’t be prevented.

Misc Rules

Crafters must keep track of costs of crafting and who they have gone to
Rules for Custom Magic Items
If it better than a similar item it is not allowed
If a similar item exists you must purchase it instead
You cannot put restrictions on the custom magic item(such as alignment)
Custom Magic Items must be made by players.
No Continuous Spell Effect items
Magic items cannot be combined.
Custom items must take up a slot.
When choosing any kind of choice, make sure you are using the most recent/up to date version.
Even if you auto succeed, roll all checks.
Candles of Invocation are banned.
Nightsticks are banned.
Thought Bottles are banned.
Grafts are banned.
The contents of this web enhancement are banned: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a

noob
2015-07-18, 09:04 AM
Living spells pwn so badly so I think that some levels in lord of living spells would be great ask the GM if that prc who allows you to cast spells on tons of people is allowed(cleric + this class might allow to have a crazy resurrection power)
Caster class can work if you take the feat increasing your caster level of 4 up to your max HD(so you have 5 caster levels at ecl 11 and then you can take the prc and have living spells hitting allies or enemies multiple times also I did not understood if you could be priest and have this prc or not)
But I do not think it is the best for a faerie dragon(in fact it is just that choosing a caster class when you have racial hd is a bad idea)
If your DM allows cheating you might say that your faerie dragon lost his racial HD then trained class levels it will be a lot more powerful but even if by RAW you can loose your hit dice then gain class levels doing that in your background seems like cheating and it loose the particularity of playing something with racial HD and so I think it is not what you want.
TLDR: I say gibberish.

Wacky89
2015-07-18, 09:14 AM
Living spells pwn so badly so I think that some levels in lord of living spells would be great ask the GM if that prc who allows you to cast spells on tons of people is allowed(cleric + this class might allow to have a crazy resurrection power)
Caster class can work if you take the feat increasing your caster level of 4 up to your max HD(so you have 5 caster levels at ecl 11 and then you can take the prc and have living spells hitting allies or enemies multiple times also I did not understood if you could be priest and have this prc or not)
But I do not think it is the best for a faerie dragon(in fact it is just that choosing a caster class when you have racial hd is a bad idea)
If your DM allows cheating you might say that your faerie dragon lost his racial HD then trained class levels it will be a lot more powerful but even if by RAW you can loose your hit dice then gain class levels doing that in your background seems like cheating and it loose the particularity of playing something with racial HD and so I think it is not what you want.
TLDR: I say gibberish.

Where is lord of living spells from? I tried searching on dndtools/google, I cannot seem to find it.

noob
2015-07-18, 09:17 AM
Dragon Magazine #357
I will try researching in English.
The true name is spell sovereign I believe.(sorry to have misled you)
It can cast a spell under the form of a creature who give the effect of the spell on each thing it hits(I really like time stop living spell and true resurrection living spell but you will need a lot of time before having that if you have racial hd(you might never have that since few people go to epic level) and some living spells are outright confusing(living)).
But if you start as a fairy dragon and that you do not get rid of your hd spell-casting is probably a bad idea so you might try other things.

Wacky89
2015-07-18, 09:26 AM
Dragon Magazine #357
I will try researching in English.
The true name is spell sovereign I believe.(sorry to have misled you)

nah that prestige class requires 3rd lvl spells, we're not allowed to early entry.
I prefer something that I can do earlier.

noob
2015-07-18, 09:34 AM
So having a caster level of 5 and 3rd levels spells does not allows you to take a prc needing level 3 spells?
Could you define early entry?
Do Practiced Spellcaster(feat increasing your spell-caster level by four up to your total HD(including class levels)) + having HD is considered early entry?
Anyway I think you are better off with a non casting class because HD is way too much hindering for casters.