PDA

View Full Version : Choices, choices (& Red Sonja)

Talya
2015-07-18, 12:32 PM
Potential game here. DM wants to base it roughly on Conan's Hyborian age. He is actually not allowing any higher end armors... mostly leathers and such. Maybe occasional lower end metal armors. He's using a hybrid point buy instead of 5e's point buy. It's Pathfinder buy mechanics (which actually has the same math as 5e), 20 points, starting ability 10 (but, like in PF, can choose to lower it to as far as 7 to gain 4 more points). However, like 5e, he's capping it at 15.

I'm building a character inspired by (but not duplicating) Red Sonja.

I am pretty sure I want at least 1 level of Barbarian (unarmoured defense.) Not only does it fit well with the lack of armors in the game, but anyone who's read these forums a while knows my characters often run around mostly (or completely!) naked. Plus, Red Sonja, right?

So many choices...

Human or Variant Human?
Oh I love the variant human, but regular human, much as it's knocked for melee combat, lets me start with 16/16/16/8/13/12 as an ability array. I LIKE having some versatility in a few off scores, and if I later take the feat "Resilience (Wisdom)" I've got save proficiency in 2 and a decent to great score in the 3 most important saves. If you're going to make use of those +1s everwhere, which this build does, I'm not sure trading 4 points away for a feat and a skill are all that great. I'm leaning toward regular human.

Class options:
Barbarian (pure classed) - likely totem. I don't care for the fatigue of Frenzy, so... this is one choice.

Barbarian 1/Fighter X - Start barbarian, then stick with fighter. It delays progression a bit, but this gives me most of what I'd want out of barbarian without too much slowdown, and really lets me focus on fighter combat choices. Fighter would be champion, because it's straightforward. I know some people like the activated abilities, but I kinda prefer Champion's passive always-on utility.

Barbarian 1/Fighter 5/barbarian 2-4/Fighter X. THIS is where I'm currently leaning. This would get me Rage, Unarmored Defense, Danger Sense (GREAT), Reckless Attack, Bear Totem Spirit (Resistance while raging), and the same number of ability score improvements/feats as a fighter would get. I'm outperforming frenzy rage in number of attacks, without the fatigue. I think it works...

Now where I'm still completely undecided:

Sword & Board - Huge boosts to armor class, dex save, evasion, and a bonus action shove, without a huge drop in damage? Seems nice.

Dual Weilding Longswords - Early high damage, small boost to AC. I think it falls behind later on though. I am leaning away from this.

Greatsword - Wow. the fighter ability to reroll 1s and 2s alone is spectacular with this.

Decisions, decisions...

Sigreid
2015-07-18, 02:37 PM
Well, the TWF really only falls off for fighters as they get more and more extra attacks. If you stay barbarian you won't find that a week option.

In general I encourage any and all females, character and otherwise, to run around naked as much as possible. :belkar:

Ralanr
2015-07-18, 06:36 PM
Be careful with multiclassing since it limits feats and (more importantly) stat boosts.

Talya
2015-07-18, 06:59 PM
Be careful with multiclassing since it limits feats and (more importantly) stat boosts.

Not if you are careful about it. 1 level dip doesn't limit stat boosts. Neither does a 4 level dip.

Ralanr
2015-07-18, 07:08 PM
Not if you are careful about it. 1 level dip doesn't limit stat boosts. Neither does a 4 level dip.

Fair enough.

Talya
2015-07-21, 08:34 AM
So, not a whole lot of optimization advice yet for 5e, I take it?