PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How to build characters stats

Mexapino
2015-07-18, 02:49 PM
So I as thinking of building a Halfling Barbarian, and I was thinking of making him like Puck. He'd use his speed, strength and fight dirty. I'm going to make him a stout halfling and was going to make him have a high strength, dex, and con (I'm also taking grappler and tavern brawler feats). I just need to know good stats to start out with.

ruy343
2015-07-18, 03:31 PM
There has been a debate on these forums about whether or not to use standard array, because some players like to have characters with high stats, while others like their characters to be balanced with the rest of the party.

I personally feel that you should have all players use the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), to ensure balance.

What that means is that you can't have a 16 STR as a halfling barbarian at level one. That's OK. Were I in your shoes, I would put my 15 on CON (+1 for Stout Halfling brings it to 16), your 14 on STR, your 13 on DEX (+2 brings it to 15), and the rest as you please (maybe emphasize WIS with your 12?).

Your character will fare just fine, even if his primary stat (Strength) only grants a +2. 5e is more balanced to not require uber stats off the bat.

Others will disagree with me. And technically, you could have a 16 on Dex also if you put your 14 there (giving you a +1 to AC), but then you lose your +2 STR, and I feel that's more important to the character's identity.

Disagreements are OK.

Mexapino
2015-07-18, 05:14 PM
There has been a debate on these forums about whether or not to use standard array, because some players like to have characters with high stats, while others like their characters to be balanced with the rest of the party.

I personally feel that you should have all players use the standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), to ensure balance.

What that means is that you can't have a 16 STR as a halfling barbarian at level one. That's OK. Were I in your shoes, I would put my 15 on CON (+1 for Stout Halfling brings it to 16), your 14 on STR, your 13 on DEX (+2 brings it to 15), and the rest as you please (maybe emphasize WIS with your 12?).

Your character will fare just fine, even if his primary stat (Strength) only grants a +2. 5e is more balanced to not require uber stats off the bat.

Others will disagree with me. And technically, you could have a 16 on Dex also if you put your 14 there (giving you a +1 to AC), but then you lose your +2 STR, and I feel that's more important to the character's identity.

Disagreements are OK.

Yeah I completely agree with your input. I've been trying to stay away from playing the stats and munchkining it. I like the point system and how it balances out a character. I recently made it to 8th level with an all 10 stat Diviner.

djreynolds
2015-07-18, 07:15 PM
Yeah I completely agree with your input. I've been trying to stay away from playing the stats and munchkining it. I like the point system and how it balances out a character. I recently made it to 8th level with an all 10 stat Diviner.

Who is Puck? Iron tower trilogy? Bill Shakespeare?

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-19, 04:26 AM
Put 15 in CON, 14 in STR and 14 in DEX. If you don't want to dump stats that hard (10,10,8 mental) you can get 13 in CON and instead of 10,10,8.