PDA

View Full Version : GM Jitters

unglitteringold
2015-07-18, 08:57 PM
So, I'm running a campaign starting next weekend. The GM of the group I've played in for the last year wants to take a break, so I volunteered, as did another player. We both pitched our ideas and mine was voted on. Right off the bat, I know that at least two people out of my 5 person group didn't want to play in my game, so that kind of has me nervous.
I've run before in many systems, and I'm running my campaign setting that I've been working on for the last 4 or so years. I have great content, awesome stories, and I know the group. I've never had a problem with people not enjoying my game.
So why am I so nervous?!
I've been reviewing the system rules, building NPC's, going back over stories and lore, all in an effort to relax; I'm sure everything will be fiiiiiiine.

What do you do to boost your confidence before running a game? Any tips/tricks to making the first session awesome?

Draconi Redfir
2015-07-18, 09:09 PM
what really helped me was when a seccond DM who wasn't a member of the part stepped in to basically act as a co-dm, essentually he helps me make maps, and acts as someone i can bounce ideas off of, as well as an emergency replacement in case i need to bail for one reason or annother.

Also this thread should likely be moved into the "roleplaying games" subforum.

Shadowsend
2015-07-19, 08:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvdsJy53HA

mephnick
2015-07-19, 08:53 PM
Well..I drink.

Oberon Kenobi
2015-07-19, 08:56 PM
Zeroth: Remember that you're a fellow player, not a service provider. Aim to make sure that everyone has fun, yourself included.

First: do something completely unrelated to gaming that will make you laugh. I recommend watching an episode of YuruYuri, but that's just me.

Second: while you've still got the giggles, before the jitters come back, give yourself permission to screw up. Everyone does the first time out–and even on the fiftieth time out. Make this your mantra: something is going to go wrong, and then we will play through it and move on.

Third: Learn about your PCs, and–this is vital–care more about them than you do about anything else in your setting. They are the main characters, and the story must take them into account. Make a point to give each character a place in the spotlight in that first session, especially those two that are less enthusiastic about the game to begin with. Write encounters that play to their strengths, and better yet bring in something from their backstory.

That clan of barbarians that's menacing the trading road? Replace them with the fighter's old mercenary band. The cult that's kidnapped the mayor's daughter and is going to sacrifice her to the old gods if the PCs don't get there in time? Replace the victim with the cleric's favorite cousin. PCs aren't interchangeable; NPCs are.

That last bit won't help you relax, and in fact will probably stress you out a bit–but it will help make the first session awesome, and that will help clear up the jitters.

Best all-around advice, though, even if it's a bit extreme? Find yourself a copy of the GM advice from Dungeon World, especially how Fronts work, and print out a good copy of the GM sheet (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d5t1tN_tNlk/VT28rgozGsI/AAAAAAAAM5I/SDYk1oatBmw/s1600/dungeonWorld_gmScreen_bg_01.png) to keep on hand. Forget that big adventure that you've got planned, go in with absolutely nothing but the first session marked out, and even leave that as bare-bones as possible. Play to find out what happens; draw maps, leave blanks. If you take away nothing else from this, take those two things to heart.

Ask questions of the characters; "Togar, you recognize the captain of the bandits; who is it, and how do you know them?" Let those questions fill in a lot of blanks and inspire you in unexpected directions; take the answers they give you, those sparks of inspiration you get off the back of them, and build the rest of your campaign off of them.

Because here's the thing, and it might be a hard thing to swallow, but once you do you'll find your sessions will be a lot more fun, even for you–nobody except you cares about those NPCs that you wrote up, and you can't make your fellow players care about them. It might happen, sure, but it's not something that you can assume will happen. What you can assume is that a player will be very engaged with your setting if you let them contribute to it, and that they will want to play through a story that they helped write.

Full improv is a little scary, and it's something you'll have to work towards, especially with crunchier systems–but writing what's basically a mad lib for the first session? That's simpler than you might think.

Geddy2112
2015-07-20, 09:19 AM
Third: Learn about your PCs, and–this is vital–care more about them than you do about anything else in your setting. They are the main characters, and the story must take them into account. Make a point to give each character a place in the spotlight in that first session, especially those two that are less enthusiastic about the game to begin with. Write encounters that play to their strengths, and better yet bring in something from their backstory.

This. Not only do the PC's feel more immersed in the game, but they do all the work. When a player writes me a few pages of backstory, that is a free couple of sessions I don't have to plan. After a game gets going, I rarely have to plan a session from scratch, the players normally flesh out the concept and I just play the consequent monsters/stats/npcs/whatever.

Well..I drink.
Also this, but don't get slam drunk.

JellyPooga
2015-07-20, 10:31 AM
Involving your players in world-building during play is a good idea; it takes some of the pressure off of you to "fill in the blanks" about NPCs, places, etc. and as others have mentioned, will help your players actually care about those things they've helped create.

I've always found that the best way to run a game is not to get too excited about what you've got planned and to be willing to change things on the fly; your PC's will inevitably run rough-shod across anything you've planned out and you'll only panic when things aren't going according to that plan.

Know the rules, but don't be afraid of making a ruling. I've left this to last because it's really the best way to keep calm. If you're constantly having to look things up, you've got the delay on your mind and that can lead to "writer's block" when you need to pull something out of the bag (and you will). If you're not sure, wing it. You've the final say on such matters and a quick "ruling" is often better than a delayed "definitive rule"; it will make things flow smoother in the short-term and you can always look it up later, at your leisure.

MrStabby
2015-07-20, 10:32 AM
Ask all the players what they want - especially anything not covered in the pitch. Find out the ratio of combat to exploration etc. Get a sense of how dangerous they want the world to be. Not only are common expectations a great way to start practically but it will do two useful things.

Firstly it will bring the doubting players on board. They are being included and are having the ability to make the game something they would be interested in playing.

Secondly it will give you confidence. Absolute worst case scenario they still don't like it. No one can blame you - you were responsive and helpful and so if things are screwed up you don't have to worry people will blame you. You also gain confidence as you know that what you are trying to produce is what other people are aiming for.

It sounds like you are doing all the right preparation and stuff - just making sure you are preparing the right things should put your mind at ease.

Mastikator
2015-07-20, 10:46 AM
1. Just because those two didn't vote for you doesn't mean they don't want to play in your game.

2. However, if they really don't want to play in your game then you should tell them not to.

3. Things will turn out fine, don't worry about it.

mephnick
2015-07-20, 10:53 AM
Also this, but don't get slam drunk.

Yeah for me there's like a drink or two difference between being calm and expressive to slurring and forgetfulness.

Don't pass that barrier.

Flickerdart
2015-07-20, 11:07 AM
Beer and pretzels are a classic at PNP games! Bonus points if you own the appropriate glassware (half-pint/pint mugs) and a case of something you can call dwarven ale.

This is actually tangential to an important point - TRPGs aren't just about the game, but friends getting together to have fun. Don't be too hard on them if they goof off to chat about non-game stuff, and always remember that you can ask them for feedback about what works/doesn't.

Username.
2015-07-20, 12:00 PM
I can't see how having two people dragged along for the ride is a good thing. Ask players what they want to play or what they'd find to be at least o.k., then consider what you want. Be sure to cover:

• The genres and subgenres players like, including the kind of verisimilitude sought (gritty, comical, etc.).
• The regulation of interparty conflict.
• The ability of PCs to run their own separate agendas.
• The scope of the adventures: will the party have one discrete goal set by the DM or will the PCs be able to determine their direction proactively?

. . . at a minimum. This is a good start.

There's more to consider in such a discussion, but to keep this post short, the next most important element should be mentioned instead: tie PC backstories a) into other PC narratives and b) into the plot. Don't have the PCs meet as strangers in a tavern. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. Invest in the players as they invest in you.

JAL_1138
2015-07-20, 12:08 PM
Yeah for me there's like a drink or two difference between being calm and expressive to slurring and forgetfulness.

Don't pass that barrier.

Expanding on this, I'd suggest to stick to low-%ABV session beers/ciders. Avoid hard liquor generally if trying to combat nervousness (too easy to overdo it due to the very jitters you're trying to drown), but especially avoid schnapps like the plague. Unlike whiskey and gin, schnapps doesn't seem to ever kick in (thus prompting you to drink more) until you try to stand up and all of a sudden your legs don't work properly and the floor has become a tilt-a-whirl.

MrStabby
2015-07-20, 12:20 PM
At the risk of spoiling to tone I would say do not drink to deal with nerves. Never.

Certainly it can work but I know enough people involved in drug and alcohol counselling who say this is how a lot of problems begin. Drinking for depression, for nerves, to forget... Sure, feel free to drink alcohol, but be sure that it is because you want to do it not because there is something external forcing you to do it. Far better to not feel nervous because you have dealt with those things making you nervous.

End of lecture :smallsmile:

Sorry, just thought it should be said.

dream
2015-07-20, 01:15 PM
Jitters = fear.

Difference between a pro & an amateur? Pros can handle criticism & not flip-out. They've done it too many times & they enjoy what they do.

1. You might pull off one of the greatest GM performances in the history of Earth & there will be at least one player who thinks you sucked.

2. You might think you sucked hard, but most of the players might think you're the greatest GM EVER.

Just how it is. You can't control the players and how they'll react to you.

GM for YOU. It's your story, setting, NPCs, ect. Have fun with it. Perform. Let your inner storyteller run wild & soon, you'll forget all about them jitters :smallwink:

Sacrieur
2015-07-20, 02:10 PM
I usually just wing it.

What you have is a good case of performance anxiety. I am very thankful I don't suffer from this particular affliction even if I suffer from other forms of anxiety.

The GM is a lot of things at once. One of them is a performer/voice actor. Just practice your voices and character stuff beforehand. If you can act your players are going to love you all that much more. I always tell my players I don't really know how a character will react to them and sometimes when I'm acting out a character I'll forget I'm the DM. I suppose that's what you should aim for, getting so immersed into your own setting that you immerse them as well

JAL_1138
2015-07-20, 03:01 PM
The two players who you say didn't want to be in your game, talk to them and ask why. Could be they do but the other idea just sounded a little bit cooler if it was put up for a vote. Like, if a Planescape game was up for vote against a homebrew, I'd vote Planescape, because I love it, not because I've got anything against the homebrew or would have a problem playing it.

Talk with those players and see what their issues are/were. It may be something that you can easily address, or it may be that they thought the other one just sounded more interesting and was worth their vote but they won't have a problem in yours, or it may be that it's going to be a problem and you need to figure out some way to deal with it before the game starts.

JellyPooga
2015-07-20, 05:12 PM
The two players who you say didn't want to be in your game

Just because they didn't vote for his game, doesn't mean they necessarily voted against it, per se, they just preferred to play the other game. It's entirely possible that they're quite happy to play the OP's game. Just as if they like chocolate ice-cream and they like vanilla, but today they felt like eating vanilla. Doesn't mean they don't like chocolate.

JAL_1138
2015-07-20, 05:23 PM
Just because they didn't vote for his game, doesn't mean they necessarily voted against it, per se, they just preferred to play the other game. It's entirely possible that they're quite happy to play the OP's game. Just as if they like chocolate ice-cream and they like vanilla, but today they felt like eating vanilla. Doesn't mean they don't like chocolate.

Right, which is basically what I said. I gave the example that if someone offered my group a chance to vote on a homebrew or Planescape, I'd vote for a Planescape game over a homebrew, not because I'd necessarily have anything against the homebrew but because I loved Planescape back in the old days. The OP seems worried that their vote implied they actively didn't want to play his, so I suggested he talk to them to see if that was actually the case or if it was more that they just thought the other idea sounded cooler but they would be fine in his game. If it turns out they'd be fine, that alone should help the jitters.

JellyPooga
2015-07-20, 06:12 PM
Right, which is basically what I said. I gave the example that if someone offered my group a chance to vote on a homebrew or Planescape, I'd vote for a Planescape game over a homebrew, not because I'd necessarily have anything against the homebrew but because I loved Planescape back in the old days. The OP seems worried that their vote implied they actively didn't want to play his, so I suggested he talk to them to see if that was actually the case or if it was more that they just thought the other idea sounded cooler but they would be fine in his game. If it turns out they'd be fine, that alone should help the jitters.

Sorry, the bulk of my post wasn't really directed at you. It was just the first line of your post that I was taking, out of context, because I'd seen a number of other posts saying the same or similar and yours was the first to come to hand (so to speak). Soz :smallredface:

neonagash
2015-07-21, 09:51 PM
So, I'm running a campaign starting next weekend. The GM of the group I've played in for the last year wants to take a break, so I volunteered, as did another player. We both pitched our ideas and mine was voted on. Right off the bat, I know that at least two people out of my 5 person group didn't want to play in my game, so that kind of has me nervous.
I've run before in many systems, and I'm running my campaign setting that I've been working on for the last 4 or so years. I have great content, awesome stories, and I know the group. I've never had a problem with people not enjoying my game.
So why am I so nervous?!
I've been reviewing the system rules, building NPC's, going back over stories and lore, all in an effort to relax; I'm sure everything will be fiiiiiiine.

What do you do to boost your confidence before running a game? Any tips/tricks to making the first session awesome?

Beer. All time #1 confidence booster in human history.

Also use music. And if possible pictures. Hook a chrome cast or laptop up to the TV. A picture really is worth 1000 words. Especially with a soundtrack