PDA

View Full Version : What 5e domains have you enjoyed using most with favored soul?

CyberThread
2015-07-18, 10:49 PM
pretty simple as the title says

zinycor
2015-07-18, 11:26 PM
Do many people play favored souls? they jusy seem strictly better than draconian/chaos sorcerers, I see them as kind of OP

CyberThread
2015-07-18, 11:36 PM
Do many people play favored souls? they jusy seem strictly better than draconian/chaos sorcerers, I see them as kind of OP

Considering they still don't get the spell variety as Wizards do, many of us don't see them as OP but rather just a minor fix on a crappy designed class.

strangebloke
2015-07-19, 12:26 AM
Haven't had a chance to play one yet, but I find the possibilities with Tempest domain to be fascinating. But I have a storm fixation.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-19, 12:33 AM
I see them as the best sorcerer, and still just an average spellcaster.

Ralanr
2015-07-19, 01:23 AM
I was thinking about using the trickiery domain, but I thought I could gain access to their special abilities.

When I realized I couldn't, that kinda fell flat.

ZenBear
2015-07-19, 01:41 AM
Life is the best on paper because of Cure Wounds and Bless, but I think War has promise when you get Spirit Guardians.

Rhaegar14
2015-07-19, 02:44 AM
Haven't had a chance to play one yet, but I find the possibilities with Tempest domain to be fascinating. But I have a storm fixation.

If you want a storm Sorcerer, go look at the Storm Sorcerous Origin out of the Waterborne Adventures Unearthed Arcana. It probably does more of what you want.

WickerNipple
2015-07-19, 08:25 AM
War.

You get the standard cleric setup of Spiritual Weapon+Spirit Guardians, but on a 2 attack chassis.

strangebloke
2015-07-19, 12:02 PM
If you want a storm Sorcerer, go look at the Storm Sorcerous Origin out of the Waterborne Adventures Unearthed Arcana. It probably does more of what you want.

Hadn't read that one yet, thanks! It's definitely the best option.

Also, I find it funny that there are already four ways to achieve the fairly specific archetype I'm going for. Blue Dragon Sorcerer, Storm Sorcerer, Tempest Sorcerer, and Tempest Cleric.

Seems redundant, but then I suppose options are always good.

Ralanr
2015-07-19, 12:24 PM
Hadn't read that one yet, thanks! It's definitely the best option.

Also, I find it funny that there are already four ways to achieve the fairly specific archetype I'm going for. Blue Dragon Sorcerer, Storm Sorcerer, Tempest Sorcerer, and Tempest Cleric.

Seems redundant, but then I suppose options are always good.

Acid cries in the corner.

Kryx
2015-07-19, 12:58 PM
Acid cries in the corner.
I have ported some spells from PF to balance the damage types. See Sorcerous Origin Bonus Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413398-Sorcerous-Origin-Bonus-Spells) in my signature.

Ralanr
2015-07-19, 01:02 PM
I have ported some spells from PF to balance the damage types. See Sorcerous Origin Bonus Spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413398-Sorcerous-Origin-Bonus-Spells) in my signature.

As cool as that is, my DM limits homebrew heavily in main campaigns because it's hard to account for them.

That and one player doesn't bother to put balance up with flavor (or near it) when homebrewing. It's led to enough arguments that the DM should hit us both with the book.

Kryx
2015-07-19, 01:11 PM
As cool as that is, my DM limits homebrew heavily in main campaigns because it's hard to account for them.

That and one player doesn't bother to put balance up with flavor (or near it) when homebrewing. It's led to enough arguments that the DM should hit us both with the book.
I totally understand that as a DM. It's unfortunate that all versions of 5e have some major holes in balance - in this case damage types.

If it matters my sorcerer changes got very positive feedback recently (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427376-Wizards-vs-Sorcerer-Spell-List&p=19528547#post_19528547) (about midway).

CyberThread
2015-07-19, 02:09 PM
1st bless, cure wounds
3rd lesser restoration, spiritual weapon
5th beacon o f hope, revivify
7th death ward, guardian o f faith
9th mass cure wounds, raise dead

Life domain has some serious band-aid potential. With some metamagic hi-jinxs it could make healing cost efficient maybe even. It could make a martial sorcerer more brave if it knows it could cast spells that heal itself. Plus it is really the only domain without any sort of wasted spells that may be already on a sorcerers list or mixing with spells taht do the job better later on .

I would be curious on how it may also help with bards/clerics not being the only one expected to heal.

MrStabby
2015-07-19, 04:21 PM
So maybe an odd question, but would you be given access to other domains? Like the land druid ones or the paladin oaths or warlock patron spells? These have the same structure as the Cleric domains and would fit the purpose of a themed Sorcerer as well.

Kryx
2015-07-19, 04:37 PM
So maybe an odd question, but would you be given access to other domains? Like the land druid ones or the paladin oaths or warlock patron spells? These have the same structure as the Cleric domains and would fit the purpose of a themed Sorcerer as well.
I would. At first glance through them all I don't see any issues.