PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #5: Archduke Levistus, Lord of the Fifth

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 11:43 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

I plan on designing specific warlock subclasses for the lords of the Nine Hells before moving on to other patrons (both fiendish or otherwise).

Levistus, Lord of Stygia

http://i.imgur.com/Vt0okGP.jpg
I swear to Asmodeus that if you make one more "Frozen' reference, I'll kill you where you stand.

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Compel Duel, Ice Knife (ee)

2nd
Magic Weapon, Mirror Image

3rd
Elemental Weapon, Haste

4th
Fire Shield, Ice Storm

5th
Cone of Cold, Rary's telepathic bond

Pact features:

Bladeraver
Once per turn, when you deal damage with a finesse weapon, add 1d8 cold damage. If you are wielding a rapier, you add 1d8+Cha cold damage instead.

One With The Blizzard
Starting at level 6, you gain resistance to cold damage and your movement speed increases by 10 feet. Additionally, any spell you cast that would normally deal fire damage now does cold damage instead. Furthermore, your movement is not slowed in rough terrain caused by snow or ice.

Duelist
At level 10, you gain 3 superiority dice (d8's), and have access to the Parry and Riposte martial maneuvers.

Spell Parry
At level 14, if you are wielding a magic weapon, you can reflect a spell cast at you back on to it's caster. You cannot reflect an Area of effect spell this way, but you may still parry it to negate all damage it does. A spell that targets your armor class only effects it's original caster if it's initial attack roll beats it's own armor class. A spell that requires a saving throw forces the target to make a saving throw with his own save DC as the target. This ability can be used once per long rest, and uses your reaction for the round.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-07-18, 11:44 PM
Ah, Levistus, my personal favorite of the acrchdukes.

I based this class off the section in the fiendish codex that talked about the priests of Levistus looking more like swashbucklers than actual priests. And thus, this class was born. The first ability is just some extra cold damage, no big deal. Second ability focuses alot on thematic elements, giving cold resistance and cold damage. Third ability gives you some martial maneuvers, and the fourth abillity lets use one of the most powerful and unique abilities levestus had back in 3.5

I think this is my most balanced class as of yet, but if you think otherwise, don't hesitate to tell me.

Also, I feel obliged to provide a link to this song: World So Cold (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhOQb-hrgpk)

Princess
2015-07-19, 12:51 PM
Why not give proficiency with a rapier at level 1 instead of that +1 damage? This would be more useful to any warlock who isn't multiclassed or a Drow.

Ralanr
2015-07-19, 01:04 PM
Why not give proficiency with a rapier at level 1 instead of that +1 damage? This would be more useful to any warlock who isn't multiclassed or a Drow.

Bladelock is already proficient in whatever they make their weapon.

Ziegander
2015-07-19, 01:47 PM
I think it's too strong. Bladeraver is like 1st level sneak attack with no special conditions, it just always happens, and the maneuvers one is a lot better than taking the martial adept feat which should never happen.

Not sure how to fix bladeraver, but Duelist should just give three d6 dice. Really awesome patron though.

The Tyler
2015-07-19, 03:14 PM
I think it's too strong. Bladeraver is like 1st level sneak attack with no special conditions, it just always happens, and the maneuvers one is a lot better than taking the martial adept feat which should never happen.

Not sure how to fix bladeraver, but Duelist should just give three d6 dice. Really awesome patron though.

What about "When wielding a piercing weapon, half of the damage you deal is cold damage." or allowing the warlock the option of choosing whether they deal piercing or cold damage? And then adding +1 cold damage when wielding a rapier if it still needs a little extra something?

Is there any reason why you called it Bladeraver instead of Bladereaver, or was that accidental?

Ziegander
2015-07-19, 04:17 PM
What about "When wielding a piercing weapon, half of the damage you deal is cold damage." or allowing the warlock the option of choosing whether they deal piercing or cold damage? And then adding +1 cold damage when wielding a rapier if it still needs a little extra something?

That would work, though I like the idea of making it add 1d6 cold damage when you are the only creature adjacent to the creature you're attacking. And I'd allow it work with any finesse weapon, personally.

Is there any reason why you called it Bladeraver instead of Bladereaver, or was that accidental?

As written the ability is named Bladeraver. I don't know it's supposed to be reaver, but it's written as Bladeraver in the original post.

The Tyler
2015-07-19, 04:28 PM
As written the ability is named Bladeraver. I don't know it's supposed to be reaver, but it's written as Bladeraver in the original post.

I was actually directing that at the OP. My bad for not making that clear.

Jurai
2015-07-19, 07:54 PM
Proficiency doesn't matter. Just take Blade Pact and shape the Blade into a Rapier.

Submortimer
2015-07-19, 08:53 PM
Bladeraver
Whenever you deal damage with a piercing weapon, add 1d6 cold damage to the amount of damage done. If you are wielding a rapier, you deal 1d6+1 extra cold damage instead.

I can see how this could get OP, and here's the fix:

Bladeraver
Once per turn, when you deal damage with a piercing weapon, add 1d8 cold damage. If you are wielding a rapier, you add 1d8+Cha cold damage instead.

This makes it effectively Colossus Strike, but limited to piercing weapons. The bump in damage accounts for it being usable only once per turn.

One With The Blizzard
Starting at level 6, you gain resistance to cold damage and your movement speed increases by 10 feet. Additionally, any spell you cast that would normally deal fire damage now does cold damage instead.

Dig it, no issues here. Maybe include something about aarough terrain caused by ice or snow not hindering you.

Duelist
At level 10, you gain 3 superiority dice (d10's), and have access to the Parry and Riposte martial maneuvers.

I agree with the below comments, make these d6's.

Spell Parry
At level 14, if you are wielding a magic weapon, you can reflect a spell cast at you back on to it's caster. You cannot reflect an Area of effect spell this way, but you may still parry it to negate all damage it does. A spell that targets your armor class only effects it's original caster if it's initial attack roll beats it's own armor class. A spell that requires a saving throw forces the target to make a saving throw with his own save DC as the target. This ability can be used once per long rest.

This should probably use your reaction on the turn you use it.

Another nice patron, you have a knack for this.

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 10:49 AM
Made some changes based on all of your suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 09:33 PM
After giving it some thought, I've decided to make the d10 superiority dice into d8 dice. I'll keep them at that level until I get some reports from people who've used them in game.

Michael7123
2015-09-05, 09:08 AM
Sawped out the spell shield for ice knife, and added the ability to ignore rough terrain caused by ice and snow at level 6.

If you don't have the elemental evil handbook, don't worry! There's a perfectly legal pdf on the wizards of the coast website containing all the races and spells that came with that book.