PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Iron Weapon Mystery

Beardbarian
2015-07-19, 08:41 AM
I was looking at the text of the Oracle's Iron Weapon Revelation

Iron Weapon (Su): You can create a melee simple or martial weapon that lasts for 1 minute for every oracle level you possess. This weapon is appropriate for your size and entirely made of metal (even if it would normally include non-metal parts, such as a spear’s shaft) but functions as if it were a normal weapon of its type. You are considered proficient with this weapon.

The questions:

Can i select Unarmed Strike as simple weapon?
If 1 is affirmative, can i have Unarmed Strikes dealing lethal damage? And are they eligible for spells like Magic Weapon or Sun Metal?
Can i select a Monk's Unarmed Strike as a simple weapon?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-19, 11:16 AM
The questions:

If 1 is affirmative, can i have Unarmed Strikes dealing lethal damage? And are they eligible for spells like Magic Weapon or Sun Metal?

1. Um... yes. I think so. If so, this is great. This is 3.5 Kensai with +1 Throwing Returning Unarmed Strike levels of great.
2. The answer to both is "yes, if you are able to do that with your own unarmed strike".
3. No, because that's a class feature that alters the Unarmed Strike, not a weapon in its own right.

Beardbarian
2015-07-20, 06:47 AM
1. Um... yes. I think so. If so, this is great. This is 3.5 Kensai with +1 Throwing Returning Unarmed Strike levels of great.
2. The answer to both is "yes, if you are able to do that with your own unarmed strike".
3. No, because that's a class feature that alters the Unarmed Strike, not a weapon in its own right.

Thanks a lot

Psyren
2015-07-20, 09:02 AM
Metal or not, your unarmed strike cannot benefit from Magic Weapon unless you are a monk:

You can't cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk's unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

ShaneMRoth
2015-07-20, 07:52 PM

Well, since Pathfinder "fixed" the Unarmed Strike issue by deciding that the weapon proficiency rules govern them... then, by the Pathfinder Rules As Written... YEP.

can i have Unarmed Strikes dealing lethal damage? And are they eligible for spells like Magic Weapon or Sun Metal?

Outside of the context of referee adjudication... YEP.

I don't see how that would work.

this is great. This is 3.5 Kensai with +1 Throwing Returning Unarmed Strike levels of great.

Yep, and it is illustrative of why you don't define an Unarmed Strike as a weapon. (the word 'unarmed' means "without a weapon.")

And to the Pathfinder game designer who codified this too-clever-by-half brain-fart into the PF Core Rules, I say...

"Nice Play, Shakespeare."