PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW Thread II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2015-07-19, 09:20 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 5. If your question is not about the RAW for 5, please look in the appropriate threads in the appropriate forums.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large player races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

Please start over with the numbering. When this one reached 50 pages, please report it so that we can start a new one. Thanks.

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-19, 06:52 PM
Q001 Healer Feat: I stabilize a comrade and she regains 1 HP. On the next round can I heal her using another healing kit? Only the 2nd bullet point limits its use to 1 per rest.

Thanks in advance!

asorel
2015-07-19, 06:55 PM
A 1 Because the second bullet point stipulates "from this feat," not "in this manner," the once per short rest limitation applies to the stabilization recover as well.

_felagund
2015-07-22, 08:40 AM
Q2

Observant feat says "...You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception)...".

Does it stack with other bonuses? (proficiency and wisdom)

asorel
2015-07-22, 08:55 AM
A 2 Yes, the bonus provided by the feat is meant to stack with your original bonus to Perception.

critter3of4
2015-07-25, 11:28 PM
Q 3

Are there rules on drowning?

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-26, 12:52 AM
Q 3

Are there rules on drowning?

A 3 Player's Handbook, p. 183, "Suffocating".

coredump
2015-07-26, 01:38 AM
And in the errata...

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-27, 03:34 PM
Q 4 For the Mounted Combat rules what number is considered to be an INTelligent creature?
Q 5 For the Find Steed spell, with a INT 6 mount (plus the telepathy and "moves as a seamless unit" text) is the mount considered to be independent or not (for the purpose of making its own attacks, having its own initiative.
Q 6 If #5 is "up to the player" then what's needed to switch back and forth between a controlled / independent mount?

Thank you in advance!

jkat718
2015-07-27, 10:07 PM
Q 4 For the Mounted Combat rules what number is considered to be an INTelligent creature?
A4: There is no such number, by RAW, but the Paladin's Find Steed spell sets the mount's INT to a minimum of 6, so that's probably a good baseline.

Q 5 For the Find Steed spell, with a INT 6 mount (plus the telepathy and "moves as a seamless unit" text) is the mount considered to be independent or not (for the purpose of making its own attacks, having its own initiative.
A5: Again, there is no RAW on this, but I think many DMs see that as being an independant mount.

Q 6 If #5 is "up to the player" then what's needed to switch back and forth between a controlled / independent mount?
A6: AFAIK, there is no way to "switch;" a mount is either controlled or independent when ridden, not either.

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-28, 12:05 AM
A4: There is no such number, by RAW, but the Paladin's Find Steed spell sets the mount's INT to a minimum of 6, so that's probably a good baseline.

A5: Again, there is no RAW on this, but I think many DMs see that as being an independant mount.

A6: AFAIK, there is no way to "switch;" a mount is either controlled or independent when ridden, not either.

Thanks! That's what I thought as an AL DM.

MrStabby
2015-07-28, 03:27 AM
Q7 If I use the warlock invocation "one with shadows" can I use the sorcerer metamagic quicken spell to cast spells whilst remaining invisible?

Q8 What counts as a spell for the necromancer ability "Grim Harvest"?
1)If the spell is something like inflict wounds it seems simple.
2) What if it is indirect - you summon a ball of fire to kill someone or summon a bear to kill someone?
3)Or the spell doesn't even create the object that kills them but changes it (animate dead, animate objects)
4) How does this ability interact with smite spells? Do I now have to roll smite damage separately to see if it is the spell or the attack that kills the victim? Or as smite changes me and not the victim does it not count?

Kryx
2015-07-28, 03:29 AM
Several spells use 1-3 INT:
Animal Friendship, Awaken, Beast Bond (EE), Detect thoughts

Some others:
Find steed (Sets int to 6)
Rary's Telepathic bond (2 or less)

I'd say based on that 4 or higher is intelligent, but that's up to the DM.

Kryx
2015-07-28, 03:37 AM
Q7 If I use the warlock invocation "one with shadows" can I use the sorcerer metamagic quicken spell to cast spells whilst remaining invisible?
A7 No

anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions also prevents you from taking a bonus action.
If you decide to rule otherwise you could also use bonus actions when surprised and while incapacitated. Not good.

MrStabby
2015-07-28, 03:53 AM
A7 No

If you decide to rule otherwise you could also use bonus actions when surprised and while incapacitated. Not good.

I may have missunderstood, but I think "One with shadows" doesn't stop you taking actions. It just gives a consequence when you do.

Nevertheless, thank you.

Kryx
2015-07-28, 04:02 AM
I may have missunderstood, but I think "One with shadows" doesn't stop you taking actions. It just gives a consequence when you do.
In general anything that says "actions or reactions" includes bonus actions. Bonus actions fall under the actions category. Though 5e does do a poor job of outlining that.

If it matters here is a tweet from crawford that quotes the PHB quote I put above (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/615358173080260608).

MrStabby
2015-07-28, 04:32 AM
In general anything that says "actions or reactions" includes bonus actions. Bonus actions fall under the actions category. Though 5e does do a poor job of outlining that.

If it matters here is a tweet from crawford that quotes the PHB quote I put above (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/615358173080260608).

oddly enough it was that twitter exchange that brought this to mind. I read it a couple of days ago just after choosing an invocation and realised it was not particularly comprehensive.

coredump
2015-07-28, 09:37 AM
oddly enough it was that twitter exchange that brought this to mind. I read it a couple of days ago just after choosing an invocation and realised it was not particularly comprehensive.

I believe that by RAW you would be able to use bonus actions..... but I don't believe that was the intent, and as DM would rule no.

Mostlymad
2015-07-29, 02:34 PM
Q9: If a sorcerer twinned Spiritual Weapon would he need 2 actions and a bonus action to get full use from both spiritual weapons and a weapon in his hand?
Example: Turn One cast Twinned Spiritual Weapon each attacking once.
Then Turn 2: Use first Action to attack with weapon in hand. Then use second Action to move and attack with 1st Spiritual Weapon. Bonus action to move and attack with 2nd Spiritual Weapon.

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-29, 02:41 PM
Q9: If a sorcerer twinned Spiritual Weapon would he need 2 actions and a bonus action to get full use from both spiritual weapons and a weapon in his hand?
Example: Turn One cast Twinned Spiritual Weapon each attacking once.
Then Turn 2: Use first Action to attack with weapon in hand. Then use second Action to move and attack with 1st Spiritual Weapon. Bonus action to move and attack with 2nd Spiritual Weapon.

A9: You cannot twin Spiritual Weapon. Twinning requires a spell that targets 1 creature. Spiritual Weapon merely creates a weapon within range, which you can then attack a creature within 5 feet. Since the caster has the option to attack, or not, the spell therefore doesn't target a creature.

tzar1990
2015-07-30, 04:22 AM
Q10: Can a monk use a versatile weapon in two hands and still make the bonus attacks from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows?

Q11: When attacking and using Flurry of Blows in the same turn, at which points can I move? I've been told between any of my attacks, or only before or after I attack and flurry (since I need to flurry immediately after making an attack, and that leaves no time to move until the flurry finishes)

Arial Black
2015-07-30, 08:33 AM
Q10: Can a monk use a versatile weapon in two hands and still make the bonus attacks from Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows?

Q11: When attacking and using Flurry of Blows in the same turn, at which points can I move? I've been told between any of my attacks, or only before or after I attack and flurry (since I need to flurry immediately after making an attack, and that leaves no time to move until the flurry finishes)

A10: Yes, as long as the versatile weapon is a monk weapon.

A11: You do not need to execute the attacks granted by Flurry immediately after executing the attack(s) granted by taking the Attack action.

You do need to take the bonus action to Flurry immediately after taking the action to Attack! You start your turn. You may move a bit if you want, interact with the world once for free if you want. You take the Attack action (without actually executing the attacks granted by that action), and immediately take the bonus action to Flurry (without actually executing the unarmed strikes granted by Flurry). Note that if you do not take the bonus action to Flurry at this exact point then you may not take it at all this turn. After you have taken both action and bonus action, you may then execute the attack(s) granted by the Attack action and the unarmed strikes granted by the Flurry bonus action, in whatever order you like (even interlacing weapon attacks and Flurry attacks in any order), and you may move between attacks as much or as little as you want, up to your speed.

In this game, taking an action doesn't actually do anything in and of itself, other than give you permission to do the thing allowed by that action. For example, if you take the Dash action, your PC doesn't actually move. The Dash action just gives him permission to move more than usual.

If you take the Disengage action, your PC doesn't move either, but when he does, his movement doesn't provoke.

When you take the Attack action, your PC doesn't automatically execute his attacks as soon as you take that action (although he might), it just means he has permission to execute a number of attacks allowed by that action, at any time between taking the Attack action and the end of his turn. For example, you might take the Attack action, execute one attack out of the two that you are allowed because of the Extra Attack class ability, move a bit, take a bonus action to Cast a Spell with a casting time of one bonus action (like misty step), move a bit more, draw a javelin, actually cast misty step and appear 30-feet away, then throw the javelin using your second attack granted by the Attack action.

When you take the bonus action to Flurry, then you are no more obliged to execute those attacks immediately than you are when taking the Attack action. However, the only time you may take the bonus action to Flurry is immediately after taking your action to Attack. You don't have to actually attack as soon as you take the Attack action, and you don't have to actually execute two or three unarmed strikes as soon as you take your bonus action to Flurry.

Inevitability
2015-07-30, 01:41 PM
Q12 Do attacks made by Bigby's Hand add the hand's strength modifier to damage?

E’Tallitnics
2015-07-30, 03:30 PM
Q12 Do attacks made by Bigby's Hand add the hand's strength modifier to damage?

A12: No. Only the variants Clenched Fist and Grasping Hand do damage. C.F. is force damage (so STR wouldn't apply) and G.H. already adds your spellcasting ability modifier.

Kryx
2015-08-04, 09:52 AM
Q13 When aiming a spell, must you be able to see the point?

Some spells specify "a point you can see within range", while others just say "a point within range".

If you place an area of effect at a point that you can’t see and an obstruction, such as a wall, is between you and that point, the point of origin comes into being on the near side of that obstruction.

A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a point you choose within range

A mass of 5-foot-deep water appears and swirls in a 30-foot radius centered on a point you can see within range

Does this mean that Fireball can be thrown blindly, but Maelstrom and other aoes that specify sight cannot?
How about dancing lights? Can that be created at 120ft even if you can't see 120 ft?
Follow up to 2: Probably not a RAW question, but how precise can you be? Can you say "90 ft that way"?

asorel
2015-08-04, 10:02 AM
A 13 Specific rules trump general rules, and a rule for an individual spell is more specific than a rule that governs all spells. Going by this interpretation, spells that don't require LoS could manifest past obstructions. That being said, I would add a caveat that admittedly straddles the line between RAW and RAI: spells whose text require a line of effect, such as the line of energy needed to cast Fireball, would need an unobstructed point of origin.

Kryx
2015-08-04, 10:08 AM
Sure, that makes sense based on what I quoted above, but I'm a bit confused on specifics:

How about dancing lights? Can that be created at 120ft even if you can't see 120 ft?
How precise can you be? Can you say "90 ft that way"?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-04, 10:09 AM
Q13 When aiming a spell, must you be able to see the point?

Some spells specify "a point you can see within range", while others just say "a point within range".

Does this mean that Fireball can be thrown blindly, but Maelstrom and other aoes that specify sight cannot?
Follow up to 2: Probably not a RAW question, but how precise can you be? Can you say "90 ft that way"?

The key point is the text you omitted: “To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can’t be behind total cover.”

That's it! You can shoot a Fireball through an arrow slit for example since that's considered 3/4 cover.

If you cannot see the point within range you simply tell the DM where you want it and the DM then determines if the end point is behind total cover or not.

Kryx
2015-08-04, 10:16 AM
The key point is the text you omitted: “To target something, you must have a clear path to it, so it can’t be behind total cover.”

That's it! You can shoot a Fireball through an arrow slit for example since that's considered 3/4 cover.

If you cannot see the point within range you simply tell the DM where you want it and the DM then determines if the end point is behind total cover or not.
Fireball isn't really the question. I understand it. Including it was probably a bad idea.

The question is spells like Dancing Lights. Assume you cannot see because of darkness, not cover.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-04, 10:25 AM
Fireball isn't really the question. I understand it. Including it was probably a bad idea.

The question is spells like Dancing Lights. Assume you cannot see because of darkness, not cover.

R13: For Dancing Lights it doesn't stipulate line of sight so yes you can cast it in an area you cannot see. As long as it's not behind total cover.

Be advised that as far as I can tell the RAW don't define "clear path" so expect table variance. Some DMs might take that to mean a straight line, some others might allow the path to curve and bend.

Kryx
2015-08-04, 10:29 AM
This still doesn't completely answer my question (how precise), though I presume this is going into RAI and will make another post and link it here when I do.

coredump
2015-08-04, 10:38 AM
In general, no spell requires line of *sight*
In general, all spells require line of *effect*

Thus a spell like Dancing Lights can be cast in complete darkness, as long as you still have line of effect to that spot. So if in an empty room, no problem, if trying to cast it behind a large stone pillar... no dice.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-04, 10:54 AM
In general, no spell requires line of *sight*
In general, all spells require line of *effect*

Thus a spell like Dancing Lights can be cast in complete darkness, as long as you still have line of effect to that spot. So if in an empty room, no problem, if trying to cast it behind a large stone pillar... no dice.

R13 Since this is a strict RAW thread do you have text you can quote for the advice that you're giving?

The phrase "line of effect" doesn't seem to appear in the 5e Player's Handbook. Perhaps "line of effect" is from a previous edition?

Also consider that it directly contradicts the "Clear Path to the Target" (p. 204) text which only states that the target cannot be behind total cover.

coredump
2015-08-04, 02:41 PM
R13 Since this is a strict RAW thread do you have text you can quote for the advice that you're giving?

The phrase "line of effect" doesn't seem to appear in the 5e Player's Handbook. Perhaps "line of effect" is from a previous edition?

Also consider that it directly contradicts the "Clear Path to the Target" (p. 204) text which only states that the target cannot be behind total cover.

There is no contradiction. If the target is behind total cover, there is no line of effect. It is just a more elegant term than "there is a clear path".

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-04, 03:52 PM
There is no contradiction. If the target is behind total cover, there is no line of effect. It is just a more elegant term than "there is a clear path".

R13 Agreed! Just making sure as your example was "behind a stone pillar...no dice" and a pillar isn't total cover.

MadGrady
2015-08-06, 02:47 PM
Q14.....I think

Does the effect of the spell Bless also apply to concentration checks?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-06, 03:01 PM
Q14.....I think

Does the effect of the spell Bless also apply to concentration checks?

A14 Yes, since they're Constitution Saving Throws.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-07, 11:01 AM
Q15 I was sure that if creatures are fighting in Dim Light (accounting for Darkvision) they were at Disadvantage on attack rolls. However I just searched the “Player’s Handbook” and found nothing. The only reference was to Disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance…

coredump
2015-08-07, 11:15 AM
That is correct.

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-07, 12:31 PM
R15 Yes, the only thing dim lighting or lightly obscured areas impose Disadvantage on is Perception checks however you can still see your target so no Disadvantage when attacking. If you are blind, you have Disadvantage on attacks because you can't see your target.

Clauticus
2015-08-09, 08:55 PM
Q16

To discover that a silent image or minor illusion is fake, is an active investigation roll required or can passive investigation do it?

The book actually says that "A creature that uses its action to examine the image can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC." (from Silent Image spell description); however, I'm under the impression that it just assumes the passive check already happened.

asorel
2015-08-09, 09:13 PM
A 16 RAW makes no mention of passive checks, so there is no reason to assume one occurs. I would personally rule that the passive score should not be used unless the character has reason to believe that he will see illusions in the area.

coredump
2015-08-10, 01:04 AM
There is no difference between an Active check and a Passive check.... the term 'passive' is not part of the fiction, it just means no roll is used.
In both cases the PC is making a check.... just depends if the PC is doing it repetitively or not.

But the spell says it takes an action determine if it is an illusion or not.

DivisibleByZero
2015-08-10, 08:01 AM
There is no difference between an Active check and a Passive check.... the term 'passive' is not part of the fiction, it just means no roll is used.
In both cases the PC is making a check.... just depends if the PC is doing it repetitively or not.

But the spell says it takes an action determine if it is an illusion or not.

You have just highlighted why it requires an Active check. A passive check simply happens. An Active check requires the player's action to take.

edit from below:

This is not correct. "Passive" vs "Active" checks have absolutely nothing to do with what kind of action you need to make the check. There are cases where "active" checks require no action, and there are cases where passive checks eat up your turn (specifically, if you were using them to represent performing an action repeatedly).

Per basic rules pg 59:
Nothing in there about not taking actions.

Yes it is correct.
If there were any sort of passive check involved, the text would read something like:
Compare your spell save DC versus the target's passive investigation score to see if they immediately recognize the illusion as illusory. or something like that.
Action taken = Active ability check, because that's what happens when you spend your action to make an ability check. You actively roll. Just like it says in the rules for ability checks.

"To make an ability check, roll a d20 and add the relevant ability modifier."
And as you said in your quote: "A passive check is a special kind of ability check...."
If something ever uses a passive check, it will state so. The fact that it didn't state so, and the fact that you have to use your action to do it, means that it is clearly and inarguably an Active check.

action (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/action)
[ak-shuh n]
Spell Syllables
Synonyms Examples Word Origin
noun
1. the process or state of acting or of being active

Action =/= Passive.
Action = Active.

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-10, 09:27 AM
You have just highlighted why it requires an Active check. A passive check simply happens. An Active check requires the player's action to take.

This is not correct. "Passive" vs "Active" checks have absolutely nothing to do with what kind of action you need to make the check. There are cases where "active" checks require no action, and there are cases where passive checks eat up your turn (specifically, if you were using them to represent performing an action repeatedly).

Per basic rules pg 59:

A passive check is a special kind of ability check that doesn’t involve any die rolls. Such a check can represent the average result for a task done repeatedly, such as searching for secret doors over and over again, or can be used when the DM wants to secretly determine whether the characters succeed at something without rolling dice, such as noticing a hidden monster.

Nothing in there about not taking actions.

Kryx
2015-08-10, 10:01 AM
Q17 Spiritual weapon says you can repeat the attack. I assume this repeating of the attack must still use the verbal and somatic components, correct?

An example of where this matters: An enemy casts spiritual weapon. Next turn the Shadow Monk creates a zone of silence over the enemy. I ruled that the enemy was unable to repeat the attack due to not being able to provide the verbal component. Correct?

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-10, 10:07 AM
Q17 Spiritual weapon says you can repeat the attack. I assume this repeating of the attack must still use the verbal and somatic components, correct?

An example of where this matters: An enemy casts spiritual weapon. Next turn the Shadow Monk creates a zone of silence over the enemy. I ruled that the enemy was unable to repeat the attack due to not being able to provide the verbal component. Correct?

A 17

Nope. Verbal and somatic components are part of casting the spell. Making an attack with the gauntlet is a separate function that does not, by itself, require any effort beyond your bonus action. When you spend a bonus action to repeat the attack, you are just spending a bonus action to make an attack, not recasting the spell.

holygroundj
2015-08-10, 10:24 AM
While this is a question about a playtest packet, but the answer is probably a general answer. In the Awakened Mystic playtest packet, The mystic gains the ability to change their secondary Saving throw per rest. This is an ability gained at level 1.

Q18 Does the class feature gained by Strength of Mind, namely the ability to have proficieny in 3 saves, apply to characters who multiclass into mystic?

coredump
2015-08-10, 11:03 AM
You have just highlighted why it requires an Active check. A passive check simply happens. An Active check requires the player's action to take. You misunderstand what a Passive Check is. A Passive check is used when you are *actively* doing something on a repetitive basis....

Action taken = Active ability check, because that's what happens when you spend your action to make an ability check. You actively roll. Just like it says in the rules for ability checks. There is absolutely no rule anywhere indicating that Active/Passive checks are inherrently tied with Actions.

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-10, 11:23 AM
You misunderstand what a Passive Check is. A Passive check is used when you are *actively* doing something on a repetitive basis....

This is also incorrect. A passive check is just a special kind of ability check. The rules say that it can be used for a task done repeatedly, not that it must - and other things may use passive checks as well.

As far as I am aware, the only place that the RAW calls for passive checks would be in stealth, trap, and hidden object detection. Everything else is explicitly the DM's decision.

coredump
2015-08-10, 12:26 PM
This is also incorrect. A passive check is just a special kind of ability check. The rules say that it can be used for a task done repeatedly, not that it must - and other things may use passive checks as well.
You are correct. I was focusing on one aspect, but not the only one.

Ralanr
2015-08-11, 01:34 PM
Is it possible to gain another fighting style through multiclassing?

asorel
2015-08-11, 01:59 PM
While this is a question about a playtest packet, but the answer is probably a general answer. In the Awakened Mystic playtest packet, The mystic gains the ability to change their secondary Saving throw per rest. This is an ability gained at level 1.

Q18 Does the class feature gained by Strength of Mind, namely the ability to have proficieny in 3 saves, apply to characters who multiclass into mystic?

A 18 Multiclassing restrictions are generally limited to starting proficiencies, so I would say yes.

A 19 Yes, but you cannot take the same style twice.

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-11, 02:00 PM

A 19:

Yes. You cannot benefit from the same fighting style more than once (per the text on the Fighting Style ability), but there is nothing stopping you from taking multiple fighting styles, even ones that work together e.g. Defense and Dueling.

Raphite1
2015-08-11, 03:59 PM
Q20: P. 182 of the PHB says that every foot covered when jumping counts as a foot of movement for that turn. Let's say that a character has 15 Str and 30ft movement. If they move 20ft and then make a long jump (which could be up to 15ft), what happens? Surely they don't travel 35ft that turn, or else everyone would always run their maximum movement and then long jump for extra distance. Do they hover in the air until their next turn, at which point they land from the jump and have that extra 5ft jump distance deducted from their movement for that turn? Are they just not allowed to make the jump?

I'm asking because I was just reading the MM entry for the Barlgura (MM p. 56). It has 30ft movement, but has an ability called "Running Leap" that gives it a long jump of 40ft. So let's say that it runs 10ft (of it's maximum 30ft) to get the running start for the jump, then performs a long jump to attempt to jump 40ft.... what happens? If it can't actually move more than 30ft on its turn (jump distance included), the ability would be useless. I suppose that if you use the "hover until your next turn, during which the jump is completed" ruling, then the 40ft long jump could sometimes be useful for covering some gaps.

Edit: I'm suddenly reminded of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

jkat718
2015-08-11, 04:13 PM
A20: I don't believe there is RAW on this, but here's what Crawford and Mearls have to say about it: LINK (http://www.twitter.com/mikemearls/status/515559950735532032)

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-11, 05:13 PM
Q20: P. 182 of the PHB says that every foot covered when jumping counts as a foot of movement for that turn. Let's say that a character has 15 Str and 30ft movement. If they move 20ft and then make a long jump (which could be up to 15ft), what happens? Surely they don't travel 35ft that turn, or else everyone would always run their maximum movement and then long jump for extra distance. Do they hover in the air until their next turn, at which point they land from the jump and have that extra 5ft jump distance deducted from their movement for that turn? Are they just not allowed to make the jump?

I'm asking because I was just reading the MM entry for the Barlgura (MM p. 56). It has 30ft movement, but has an ability called "Running Leap" that gives it a long jump of 40ft. So let's say that it runs 10ft (of it's maximum 30ft) to get the running start for the jump, then performs a long jump to attempt to jump 40ft.... what happens? If it can't actually move more than 30ft on its turn (jump distance included), the ability would be useless. I suppose that if you use the "hover until your next turn, during which the jump is completed" ruling, then the 40ft long jump could sometimes be useful for covering some gaps.

Edit: I'm suddenly reminded of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

R20 http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/18/super-jump/

Super jump!

Can you jump farther than your movement when using magic i.e spell Jump & boots of striding and springing? — Yan, September 17, 2014

I’d rule yes – design intent is to make you jump super far — Mike Mearls Sep 17

To be clear, things like the jump spell don't increase speed. You can jump crazy far, but your speed caps it. — Jeremy Crawford, September 17, 2014

Are you saying you can’t jump farther than your speed even with Jump spell or Boots of Striding and Springing? — Yan

Every foot jumped costs movement, so you can jump farther than your current speed if you take the Dash action. — Jeremy Crawford. September 18, 2014

[Edited for format and brevity]

In short: Any increase to your jump distance must include an increase to your speed to account for any difference. This usually requires that the creature take the Dash action to make up the difference.

Raphite1
2015-08-11, 07:05 PM
Re: Q20, using Dash to accommodate the extra distance works I guess, thanks. A bit odd, but what can you do.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-11, 10:17 PM
Q21 Concerning the Adventurers League: I'm having trouble finding specific text that disallows a player from playing two characters…

DivisibleByZero
2015-08-11, 11:12 PM
A2021:
Rule 0.
You're the DM and the DM has final say on literally everything.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-11, 11:49 PM
A20:
Rule 0.
You're the DM and the DM has final say on literally everything.

R20 I would gently remind you that this a RAW Thread.

Citation?

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-12, 01:11 AM
R20

Page 4 of the DMG - Introduction - The Dungeon Master - 4th Paragraph - "The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren't in charge. You're the DM and you are in charge of the game."

Therefore while Rule 0 is RAW, no decision made using it is. This makes it unique in that this is always an answer to any question put forth on this thread but please refrain from doing so except in cases where the RAW is ambiguous, as it is already implied.

DivisibleByZero
2015-08-12, 12:26 PM
R2021 I would gently remind you that this a RAW Thread.

Citation?
R2021

Page 4 of the DMG - Introduction - The Dungeon Master - 4th Paragraph - "The D&D rules help you and the other players have a good time, but the rules aren't in charge. You're the DM and you are in charge of the game."

Therefore while Rule 0 is RAW, no decision made using it is. This makes it unique in that this is always an answer to any question put forth on this thread but please refrain from doing so except in cases where the RAW is ambiguous, as it is already implied.

R21:
The question posed was not a RAW question.
There is no specific rule regarding how many characters any given player may play, so there is no RAW on the matter to pose as a RAW question. It's entirely DM purview. A player may be allowed to play only one character, or he may be allowed to play an entire party or five, or more.
If you, as the DM, don't want anyone to play more than one character, and you have a rules-lawyer player that needs to see where in the books it says that only one character may be played, then Rule 0 is your RAW justification to give him as answer.

coredump
2015-08-12, 02:57 PM
Q21 Concerning the Adventurers League: I'm having trouble finding specific text that disallows a player from playing two characters…

A21: It in the FAQ, check the wiki under 'general questions'

_felagund
2015-08-14, 08:42 AM
Q23

Animate Dead spell creates zombies and skeletons. I assume those are always zombies and skelotons from monsters manual, am i right? (not the githzerai warrior zombie for example)

okyn
2015-08-16, 12:37 AM
Q 24

Can you use your extra attack to cast a cantrip? Or even cast two cantrips if you have the extra attack ability?

Q 25

Does it require you use an action to cast the spell silent image if you have the invocation that lets you use it instantly?

DivisibleByZero
2015-08-16, 01:05 AM
Q 24

Can you use your extra attack to cast a cantrip? Or even cast two cantrips if you have the extra attack ability?

Q 25

Does it require you use an action to cast the spell silent image if you have the invocation that lets you use it instantly?

A24:
Casting a cantrip does not use the Attack action, it uses the Cast a Spell action. So no, you cannot use one of your attacks (or more) to cast a cantrip. There are, however, some abilities (EK, Valor Bard) which allow you to cast a cantrip and then use a bonus action to make a weapon attack.

A25:
You still use your action to cast the spell as normal. The casting isn't instant as you claim. It simply doesn't use a slot. That is literally the only difference. No slot expended. In all other respects, it functions exactly like casting the spell with a slot as normal.

asorel
2015-08-16, 07:11 AM
Q23

Animate Dead spell creates zombies and skeletons. I assume those are always zombies and skelotons from monsters manual, am i right? (not the githzerai warrior zombie for example)

You are correct.

MinaBee
2015-08-16, 02:11 PM
Q 26: Do Way of the Four Elements Monks qualify for the Elemental Adept feat?

asorel
2015-08-16, 02:23 PM
A 26 Elemental Adept requires the taker to be able to cast at least one spell. The Elemental Disciplines as described on page 80 of the PHB specify that the spells granted to the Wot4 Monk are considered as spells for gameplay purposes.

Corey
2015-08-16, 10:37 PM
Q27 Are there any rules that reflect the physical reality that arrows shot upwards won't fly as far as those shot more or less horizontally to the ground?

Q28 Leomund's Tiny Hut creates a "dome" of force, not a sphere. Does this mean one can tunnel under it to attack those inside? What if the hut is cast on the second floor of a building; can one punch through the ceiling/floor beneath?

Q29 The caster of Leomund's Tiny Hut must stay inside for the spell's duration, or it ends prematurely, correct? No trips to the privy allowed?

Corey
2015-08-16, 10:40 PM
Q30 Assume a tool use takes substantial time, for example doing something with artisan's tools. When is an ability check rolled, and how does this influence whether -- for example -- one can cast Guidance to influence one's ability check?

Q31 The Knowledge Cleric's 2nd-level Channel Divinity option and the casting of Fabricate each take 10 minutes. Can the former be used to influence the latter?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-16, 10:42 PM
Q27 Are there any rules that reflect the physical reality that arrows shot upwards won't fly as far as those shot more or less horizontally to the ground?

Q28 Leomund's Tiny Hut creates a "dome" of force, not a sphere. Does this mean one can tunnel under it to attack those inside? What if the hut is cast on the second floor of a building; can one punch through the ceiling/floor beneath?

Q29 The caster of Leomund's Tiny Hut must stay inside for the spell's duration, or it ends prematurely, correct? No trips to the privy allowed?

A27 RAW? No.

A28 Yes.

A29 Yes.

Corey
2015-08-16, 10:47 PM
Q32 A Tome Warlock will in most cases have a ritual spellbook. The Warlock spell list contains some rituals. Is there a mechanism to get spells a Warlock knows into the ritual book? (The point of this would be to then retrain another spell.)

Similarly if, for example, a Bard takes the feat Ritual Casting (Bard).

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-16, 11:28 PM
Q32 A Tome Warlock will in most cases have a ritual spellbook. The Warlock spell list contains some rituals. Is there a mechanism to get spells a Warlock knows into the ritual book? (The point of this would be to then retrain another spell.)

Similarly if, for example, a Bard takes the feat Ritual Casting (Bard).

A32 Concerning Warlock: The "Book of Ancient Secrets" specifically states that you can pick 2, 1st-level spells from any class. If you choose 2 of the 3, 1st-level Warlock ritual spells you can add them to the tome immediately. If you happen to also know the 3rd, 1st-level spell at that time you can add it too.

Then, "On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows," indicates that as you swap in any Warlock spell to your Spells Known allotment, and if they have the Ritual tag, you can add them to the tome.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-16, 11:47 PM
Q30 Assume a tool use takes substantial time, for example doing something with artisan's tools. When is an ability check rolled, and how does this influence whether -- for example -- one can cast Guidance to influence one's ability check?

Q31 The Knowledge Cleric's 2nd-level Channel Divinity option and the casting of Fabricate each take 10 minutes. Can the former be used to influence the latter?

A30 Crafting only requires downtime and doesn't require a roll. (PH, p.187.) Therefore Guidance wouldn't apply.

A31 As with A30, a roll isn't required to complete the [spell] task. Therefore "Knowledge of the Ages" wouldn't apply.

Corey
2015-08-17, 01:04 AM
A30 Crafting only requires downtime and doesn't require a roll. (PH, p.187.) Therefore Guidance wouldn't apply.

A31 As with A30, a roll isn't required to complete the [spell] task. Therefore "Knowledge of the Ages" wouldn't apply.

I'm sorry, but I'm confused.

A30 seems to say that artisan's tool proficiency only comes up in cases where there's no roll involved.

A31 seems to say that Knowledge of the Ages, which is entirely about artisan's tool proficiency, only comes up in cases where there is a roll involved.

Obviously, I'm missing something elementary here ... :(

Corey
2015-08-17, 01:05 AM
A32 Concerning Warlock: The "Book of Ancient Secrets" specifically states that you can pick 2, 1st-level spells from any class. If you choose 2 of the 3, 1st-level Warlock ritual spells you can add them to the tome immediately. If you happen to also know the 3rd, 1st-level spell at that time you can add it too.

Then, "On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows," indicates that as you swap in any Warlock spell to your Spells Known allotment, and if they have the Ritual tag, you can add them to the tome.

How do you add them? Normal costs and time for spell scribing?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-17, 01:14 AM
I'm sorry, but I'm confused.

A30 seems to say that artisan's tool proficiency only comes up in cases where there's no roll involved.

A31 seems to say that Knowledge of the Ages, which is entirely about artisan's tool proficiency, only comes up in cases where there is a roll involved.

Obviously, I'm missing something elementary here ... :(

R30 I'm saying that the RAW (as quoted) don't require a roll.

Why that is, I don't know. Just quoting the RAW.

R31 "Knowledge of the Ages" covers a lot more than Artisan Tools...

And again, just quoting the RAW.

Citan
2015-08-17, 05:26 AM
Hi all, just thought about something.
Q32: Sanctuary spell description says that "If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enem y creature, this spell ends."
A very few concentration spells allows to deal damage automatically on a given turn (currently thinking about Witch Bolt, Heat Metal and Searing Smite). Technically, you don't make an attack (it's automatic damage) nor cast a spell (you're just maintaining concentration).
So, if you first cast such a spell, then Sanctuary, can you (as I think) use the riding effect without ending Sanctuary?

Corey
2015-08-17, 05:33 AM
R30 I'm saying that the RAW (as quoted) don't require a roll.

Why that is, I don't know. Just quoting the RAW.

R31 "Knowledge of the Ages" covers a lot more than Artisan Tools...

And again, just quoting the RAW.

Thanks!

But I still don't see what that has to do with Q31. The Fabricate spell description says one can do more if one has artisan tool proficiency than if one doesn't. Knowledge of the Ages can give one that proficiency. I asked about the interaction of the two effects. You introduced a mention of rolling. I'm still not sure why you did. :(

Corey
2015-08-17, 05:35 AM
Q33 If one is mounted but allows one's steed to act independently, what are the implications? Does it get attacks as per, for example, the Warhorse stat block? Does it negatively affect one's own attacks? Does it cause extra concentration checks on spells?

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-17, 09:08 AM
A 33

An independent mount is effectively just a creature you sit on that does whatever it wants. That may be attacking something (at which point it would use whatever attacks are granted by its statblock), it may be running away, or it could be many other things.

It does not negatively affect one's own attacks.

There's no specific rule for making extra concentration checks while mounted, though the rules don't ban that, either, so it's up to your DM.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-17, 09:20 AM
Thanks!

But I still don't see what that has to do with Q31. The Fabricate spell description says one can do more if one has artisan tool proficiency than if one doesn't. Knowledge of the Ages can give one that proficiency. I asked about the interaction of the two effects. You introduced a mention of rolling. I'm still not sure why you did. :(

R31 That's because the Fabricate spell on page 239 of the 5e Player’s Handbook makes no mention of skill checks or proficiency bonuses.

Can you please re-read the spell description and quote the exact sentence that you're referring to?

jkat718
2015-08-17, 10:13 AM
A30: The only thing that all tools allow you to do is "help you do something you couldn't otherwise do" (PHB, p.154). One "something" Artisan's Tools enable is crafting, which (by RAW) does not require a check.
In addition to enabling actions, tools occasionally allow a character to apply proficiency to certain ability checks. In those specific cases, Guidance would help one on said check.

A31: No, it cannot. The duration of the Channel Divinity would run out before you finished casting Fabricate, so you would no longer have that proficiency at the time the spell was cast.

Eriol
2015-08-17, 12:20 PM
I unfortunately don't have my books available for a week or so (I'm on vacation), but the way that I have DM'd scribing and copying into a book of ancient secrets for a warlock's rituals is "when it doesn't specify, follow the rules for wizard." So by that theory, since when a wizard loses their spellbook, they can write down the spells they have in memory, therefore I would say a warlock with their book could do the same.

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-17, 01:17 PM
R31 Yes it can, if you used a spell scroll for either one you could overlap their effects since using a scroll is only an action.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-17, 01:21 PM

R32 Once you Know the spell you can add it to your tome. The Invocation states the same resources as Wizards: 50 GP (special ink) and 2h time for each level of the spell.

Corey
2015-08-17, 01:46 PM
R31 That's because the Fabricate spell on page 239 of the 5e Player’s Handbook makes no mention of skill checks or proficiency bonuses.

Can you please re-read the spell description and quote the exact sentence that you're referring to?

You also can’t use it to create items that ordinarily require a high degree of craftsmanship, such as jewelry, weapons, glass, or armor, unless you have proficiency with the type of artisan’s tools used to craft such objects.

Last sentence in the description. You are correct that skill checks and bonuses aren't involved. I'm still bewildered as to why you think that matters. Probably we should drop it so as not to clutter the thread.

Corey
2015-08-17, 01:50 PM
Q30A (To use another example :D)

Suppose I'm giving a performance (musical, speech, whatever) and, for the result, need an ability check against Performance. Assume the performance takes longer than 1 minute, as most performances do.

Can I cast Guidance to assist with the check? How would that work?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-17, 05:27 PM
Last sentence in the description. You are correct that skill checks and bonuses aren't involved. I'm still bewildered as to why you think that matters. Probably we should drop it so as not to clutter the thread.

R30 Sorry, I missed that bit but this still is the answer to your question:

A30: The only thing that all tools allow you to do is "help you do something you couldn't otherwise do" (PHB, p.154). One "something" Artisan's Tools enable is crafting, which (by RAW) does not require a check.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-17, 05:32 PM
Q30A (To use another example :D)

Suppose I'm giving a performance (musical, speech, whatever) and, for the result, need an ability check against Performance. Assume the performance takes longer than 1 minute, as most performances do.

Can I cast Guidance to assist with the check? How would that work?

A30A In your example above you have two choices, both will result in the Guidance cantrip adding 1d4 to your ability check at the end of your performance:

You cast the spell before you begin your performance, but since it has a 1 minute duration you must finish your performance before that time is up.
You find some way of casting the spell as part of your performance. In which case you can do so at any time before the end of your performance, when the ability check is made.

Corey
2015-08-17, 06:28 PM
A30A In your example above you have two choices, both will result in the Guidance cantrip adding 1d4 to your ability check at the end of your performance:

You cast the spell before you begin your performance, but since it has a 1 minute duration you must finish your performance before that time is up.
You find some way of casting the spell as part of your performance. In which case you can do so at any time before the end of your performance, when the ability check is made.

Thanks! I've never found that (e.g. in the PHB section on skill checks). Where is it?

Corey
2015-08-17, 06:32 PM
Q34 It generally is the case that a prepared caster, to change his list of prepared spells, has to take at least 1 minute per spell level. (I just checked that language in the case of the wizard.)

This is for all the spells on the list, not just the ones being changed, correct? So for a high-level caster, it might well take over an hour just to change a single spell on the list.

Citan
2015-08-18, 01:41 AM
Q33 (should be Q34)It generally is the case that a prepared caster, to change his list of prepared spells, has to take at least 1 minute per spell level. (I just checked that language in the case of the wizard.)

This is for all the spells on the list, not just the ones being changed, correct? So for a high-level caster, it might well take over an hour just to change a single spell on the list.
Wait wait mate!! You missed my own question (well, I also missed your own Q32 earlier so I guess we're even. :)).
You also missed your own question on previous page. There are now 2 Q32 and two Q33 !! ^^

Anyways, the numbering is false because of our two miss. Let's correct that now before everyone become confused.
Please edit your just above post (the one I just quoted) to make it the Q34.

As for me, I'll paste hereunder the question I posted previously (good thing nobody answered it yet ^^) as the Q35. Okay for everyone? :)

Q35: Sanctuary spell description says that "If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enem y creature, this spell ends."
A very few concentration spells allows to deal damage automatically on a given turn (currently thinking about Witch Bolt, Heat Metal and Searing Smite). Technically, you don't make an attack (it's automatic damage) nor cast a spell (you're just maintaining concentration).
So, if you first cast such a spell, then Sanctuary, can you (as I think) use the riding effect without ending Sanctuary?

Corey
2015-08-18, 02:12 AM
Please edit your just above post (the one I just quoted) to make it the Q34.

Done. :smalleek:

No idea about your variously numbered question. Sorry!

Corey
2015-08-18, 05:09 AM
Q36 If a spell can take effect only on "a willing creature", and the creature in question actually has no opinion (perhaps due to unconsciousness or low INT), does it count as "willing"?

Q37 If Barkskin raises a creature's AC from 14 to 16, would Shield then raise it to 19 or to 21? (I think 19).

Corey
2015-08-18, 07:02 AM
Q38 Suppose you cast Bane on an opponent, which fails its save, so that Bane is in effect. Then you cast a concentration spell against them that calls for a save (e.g. Suggestion). Does Bane last long enough to cause a deduction from their save?

Kryx
2015-08-18, 09:09 AM
Very curious about Q36 - hopefully my 2 answers here doesn't hide it.

Q37 If Barkskin raises a creature's AC from 14 to 16, would Shield then raise it to 19 or to 21? (I think 19).
A37 Barkskin does not set a creature's AC to 16. It says it cannot be lower than 16. If your Ac is normally 14 without a shield and you have barkskin on then your ac is 16. If you add a shield then your normal ac becomes 16 and barkskin is 16.

Q38 Suppose you cast Bane on an opponent, which fails its save, so that Bane is in effect. Then you cast a concentration spell against them that calls for a save (e.g. Suggestion). Does Bane last long enough to cause a deduction from their save?
A38 Nope. PHB 203: "You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once."

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-18, 10:39 AM
Thanks! I've never found that (e.g. in the PHB section on skill checks). Where is it?

R30A My pleasure! Always glad to help. The previous reply given was an example of how the rule work together.

You know that Guidance has a maximum duration of 1 minute. Therefore either the performance must fit within that time or the spell must be cast during the performance.

Since what the character is doing can be resolved by a skill check (Charisma [Performance]) it makes sense that the check come after said performance.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-18, 10:50 AM
Q36 If a spell can take effect only on "a willing creature", and the creature in question actually has no opinion (perhaps due to unconsciousness or low INT), does it count as "willing"?

A36 This is up to the DM since "willing creature" hasn't been defined within the game mechanics.

jkat718
2015-08-18, 03:22 PM
R30A My pleasure! Always glad to help. The previous reply given was an example of how the rule work together.

You know that Guidance has a maximum duration of 1 minute. Therefore either the performance must fit within that time or the spell must be cast during the performance.

Since what the character is doing can be resolved by a skill check (Charisma [Performance]) it makes sense that the check come after said performance.

So...that's not RAW, then? :smallconfused:

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-18, 03:25 PM
So...that's not RAW, then? :smallconfused:

R30A I believe that's all 100% RAW. What part do you feel is not RAW based on the example given in the OP?

jkat718
2015-08-18, 04:50 PM
Sorry if I came off rude, I don't mean to offend. I was referring specifically to the "the check comes after the performance" bit, not anything else.

Flashy
2015-08-18, 04:55 PM
A37 Barkskin does not set a creature's AC to 16. It says it cannot be lower than 16. If your Ac is normally 14 without a shield and you have barkskin on then your ac is 16. If you add a shield then your normal ac becomes 16 and barkskin is 16.
I think the question was about the 1st level spell Shield, rather than an actual physical shield. This is a trickier question. RAW the answer is probably no, Shield does not stack with Barkskin for AC 21, simply because Barkskin is carefully worded to prevent it stacking with anything.

Q39 Taking the ritual caster feat has been confirmed to add the 1st level spell as a spell known for the character that they could then cast through other spell slots. Does the same apply to racial spells?

Corey
2015-08-18, 05:18 PM
I think the question was about the 1st level spell Shield, rather than an actual physical shield. This is a trickier question. RAW the answer is probably no, Shield does not stack with Barkskin for AC 21, simply because Barkskin is carefully worded to prevent it stacking with anything.

Correct.

The idea is that your AC is 16 and then you cast a spell that adds +5 to your AC.

Still, my initial hunch is the same as your interpretation.

Corey
2015-08-18, 05:21 PM
A38 Nope. PHB 203: "You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell that requires concentration. You can’t concentrate on two spells at once."

That's the genesis of the question indeed!

At what moment, by RAW, does my example have the caster attempting to concentrate on two spells at once? At the beginning of his turn? At the end? In the mushy middle?

Kryx
2015-08-18, 05:21 PM
Correct.

The idea is that your AC is 16 and then you cast a spell that adds +5 to your AC.

Still, my initial hunch is the same as your interpretation.
Ah, then that is the same situation - shield would add to your normal AC calculation.

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-18, 11:08 PM
Sorry if I came off rude, I don't mean to offend. I was referring specifically to the "the check comes after the performance" bit, not anything else.

R30A Zero worries!

coredump
2015-08-19, 11:48 AM
Q39 Taking the ritual caster feat has been confirmed to add the 1st level spell as a spell known for the character that they could then cast through other spell slots. Does the same apply to racial spells?
As clarified in Sage Advice..... That only works if the PC has a level in the class that the spell came from.

Flashy
2015-08-19, 12:17 PM
As clarified in Sage Advice..... That only works if the PC has a level in the class that the spell came from.

And since the racial spells are unclassed they don't apply? That makes sense.

warper
2015-08-19, 01:52 PM
I noticed no one answered Q35 which I'm curious about.

Q40
I seem to only find armor class for unarmored characters in the unarmored defense option some classes get, but what is unarmored defense without any special abilities. What is the formula?

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-19, 02:26 PM
A 35
Activating witch bolt or similar spells again on subsequent turns is neither "making an attack" nor "casting a spell", therefore this works RAW. It's likely that some DMs will disagree, though.

A 40
It's in the first chapter of the PHB. AC for an unarmored character is 10 + DEX

Corey
2015-08-19, 05:37 PM
Q34 It generally is the case that a prepared caster, to change his list of prepared spells, has to take at least 1 minute per spell level. (I just checked that language in the case of the wizard.)

Bumping before it gets lost in the mists of thread progression. :smallsmile:

jkat718
2015-08-19, 10:54 PM

A34: I believe so, yes. It would appear I have been running this wrong.

Corey
2015-08-19, 11:23 PM
Q41 If a Level 18 Wizard takes Spell Mastery for Magic Mouth, which ordinarily requires expenditure of components, does he have to expend them for each of the "at-will" castings?

I'm thinking Yes, simply because I don't know of anything that says No.

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-20, 01:17 AM
A41 Correct the ability only allows them to cast the spell multiple times without using a slot making them strong cantrips basically, and in all reality a spellcaster of that level would have no trouble procuring the materials to cast any of the spells that are an option as many times as they wanted. Case in point they would likely be able to cast Wish or True Polymorph either of which could practically give the user whatever they needed for the spell, Wish in any number of ways and True Polymorph literally turning a rat or other creature into the desired materials or into something they could sell to fund the purchase of them.

coredump
2015-08-20, 02:16 AM

No. I could have been worded better, but it one minute per level per spell you are changing. So if the only thing you wanted to change was one 3rd and one 4th level spell.... it would take 7 minutes.

Corey
2015-08-20, 08:03 PM
Q42 How broad is proficiency in one instrument? Examples might be:

Lute
All lute-like instruments (e.g., every option for Instruments of the Bards)
Stringed instruments (like the above, but also including harps)
What we now would call woodwinds
What we now would call woodwinds or brass (i.e. pipes and horns are both included)

jkat718
2015-08-20, 08:53 PM
No. I could have been worded better, but it one minute per level per spell you are changing. So if the only thing you wanted to change was one 3rd and one 4th level spell.... it would take 7 minutes.
I don't see how the RAW supports that. It only speaks to swapping "lists" and not to swapping specific spells.

A42: It's up to the DM to determine under which circumstances a specific proficiency can apply. Some DMs may even allow "musical proficiency,' allowing proficiency to apply to all music-related ability checks, and they would be within their rights to do so.

UXLZ
2015-08-20, 10:07 PM
Q43

Does the Monk subclass feature Shadow Step allow you to teleport to places where there isn't any solid ground or shadow cast, such as straight up into the air on an overcast night?

Citan
2015-08-21, 06:31 AM
Q43

Does the Monk subclass feature Shadow Step allow you to teleport to places where there isn't any solid ground or shadow cast, such as straight up into the air on an overcast night?
Hi!
A43 I see no reference to any ground or such, so I'd say that RAW yes...

Unless someone can demonstrate that for Misty Step spell you have an obligation of being on the ground, since it's also referring to "an unoccupied place that you can see" in the effect description. And the additional condition of Shadow Step is relevant to the lighting only.

So feel free to drop your fists on unsuspecting enemy from above o/ (cast Darkness in the air, aim a place directly above your enemy, Shadow Step, enjoy). :)

AbyssStalker
2015-08-21, 07:38 AM
Q44 Do you gain the resistances granted by the Totem Warrior Bear while wearing heavy armor and raging?

coredump
2015-08-21, 04:13 PM
Q44 Do you gain the resistances granted by the Totem Warrior Bear while wearing heavy armor and raging?

A44: You can't Rage while in Heavy Armor

AbyssStalker
2015-08-21, 05:33 PM
A44: You can't Rage while in Heavy Armor

I'm afraid I don't see where it says this rule, it just says you don't gain the benefits it lists below if you are not wearing armor.

Flashy
2015-08-21, 07:04 PM

Oddly yes. A strict raw reading does imply that you get all the benefits that aren't specifically called out as prevented by heavy armor. Especially since the 3rd eagle totem ability calls out the heavy armor even though the others don't.

coredump
2015-08-22, 03:22 AM
I'm afraid I don't see where it says this rule, it just says you don't gain the benefits it lists below if you are not wearing armor.

Valid point. I then agree with Flashy.

Corey
2015-08-22, 05:22 AM
Q45 Do spells that require attack rolls damage objects? I think yes.

Q46 Do spells that require saves against damage, as a general rule, damage objects? I think no.

Q47 Shatter definitely damages objects. Do objects get a saving throw for half damage? I think no.

Kryx
2015-08-22, 05:30 AM
Q45 Do spells that require attack rolls damage objects? I think yes.
Not unless they specify that they do. See Shatter, Disintegrate, etc.

Q46 Do spells that require saves against damage, as a general rule, damage objects? I think no.

Q47 Shatter definitely damages objects. Do objects get a saving throw for half damage? I think no.
No, they do not make a saving throw.

Corey
2015-08-22, 05:50 AM

I'm not sure why those examples are relevant to my question about spells with attack rolls. However, they would seem to be stronger evidence for my question about spells with saving throws.

PHB p.204 says that a spell's description tells you whether a spell targets creatures, objects, or a point. This is empirically false; numerous spell descriptions just refer to "targets" (e.g. Magic Missile or Scorching Ray). (Several cantrips that I've checked are counterexamples, however.) Spells with saving throws, however, generally do have descriptions that are clear about their effects on creatures and, in a few cases, objects as well.

PHB p.194 suggest that "targets" generally are creatures or objects alike.

Hence my question.

All that said -- given that Eldritch Blast, Fire Bolt and others do have clear descriptions as to creature vs. object, the practical significance of my question may be less than I first thought.

Kryx
2015-08-22, 06:50 AM
PHB p.204 says that a spell's description tells you whether a spell targets creatures, objects, or a point. This is empirically false; numerous spell descriptions just refer to "targets" (e.g. Magic Missile or Scorching Ray). (Several cantrips that I've checked are counterexamples, however.) Spells with saving throws, however, generally do have descriptions that are clear about their effects on creatures and, in a few cases, objects as well.
Most spells do follow that - most specify creatures, objects, or both.
Magic missile does indeed target only creatures as it specifies creatures. Scorching Ray does not and is therefore ambiguous. First I've seen of it. Are there other cases?

Here are some tweets:

GromHoll @GromHoll
@mikemearls @JeremyECrawford Some spells (like Eldritch Blast) targeted to creature.

GromHoll @GromHoll
@mikemearls @JeremyECrawford Some others (like Fire Bolt) targeted to object too. This means that I can't attack the door by Eldritch Blast?

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@GromHoll @JeremyECrawford I believe (and Jeremy can correct me) that the DMG talks about this and how to handle it

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@GromHoll @JeremyECrawford using RAW, yes. Idea, IIRC, is that some spells have a physical heft, others only disrupt/affect creatures

Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford
The target specifications (creature, object, or something else) in spells are intentional. A DM can make exceptions. https://twitter.com/GromHoll/status/621075534328557568 …

Basically saying the same thing as PHB 204.

Santiago Torres @daedel
@JeremyECrawford in PH is stated magic can damage objects. Can I use Magic Missile to target an object instead of a creature?

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@daedel @JeremyECrawford spell specifies creature, so it is up to the DM

Corey
2015-08-22, 07:10 AM
I misread the Magic Missile description. Sorry.

Melf's Acid Arrow is another one that goes against an unspecified "target".

Chain Lightning also goes against "targets", but its description goes on to say "A target can be a creature or an object."

That's all I have at the moment. I thought there were a lot more.

Most spells do follow that - most specify creatures, objects, or both.
Magic missile does indeed target only creatures as it specifies creatures. Scorching Ray does not and is therefore ambiguous. First I've seen of it. Are there other cases?

Here are some tweets:

Basically saying the same thing as PHB 204.

MrUberGr
2015-08-24, 07:16 AM
Q48 "While the ward has 0 hit points, it can't absorb damage, but its magic remains. Whenever you cast an abjuration spell of 1st leveI or higher, the ward regains a number of hit points equal to twice the leveI of the spell." Abjuration Wizard, Arcane Ward phb p.115

Does the Arcane Ward only regain hit points if it's current hit points are 0? For example, I'm in combat and I take a hit, that damages my Arcane Ward, but does not reduce it to 0. If I cast an abjuration spell, will it regain hit points or no?

Kryx
2015-08-24, 08:05 AM
A 48 The ward always regains HP. The first sentence is not describing the second.

Corey
2015-08-25, 04:16 AM
Q49 Do any of the various ways of getting natural attacks (Wild Shape, Alter Self, etc.) give you "melee weapon" attacks in the context of a Paladin's Divine Smite?

I'm pretty sure the answer is No, but I wanted to check.

Kryx
2015-08-25, 04:56 AM
Q49 Do any of the various ways of getting natural attacks (Wild Shape, Alter Self, etc.) give you "melee weapon" attacks in the context of a Paladin's Divine Smite?
This is likely debated, but here is what the MM says:

The most common actions that a monster will take in combat are melee and ranged attacks. These can be spell attacks or weapon attacks, where the "weapon" might be a manufactured item or a natural weapon, such as a claw or tail spike. For more information on different kinds of attacks, see the Player's Handbook.
You'll also notice a bear's attacks are "Melee Weapon Attack".

Alter self says your unarmed strikes, but also talks about natural weapons. Either way you can make a melee weapon attack with an unarmed strike per Crawford's clarification:

Addressing a nuance in the PH errata: the rule lets melee weapon attacks use unarmed strikes, despite those strikes not being weapons.

TL;DR: Yes you can use natural attacks for Divine smite as divine smite says "when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack". Alter self's unarmed part definitely works and I believe natural weapons do as well based on that and the MM quote.

Corey
2015-08-25, 12:14 PM

Alter self says your unarmed strikes, but also talks about natural weapons. Either way you can make a melee weapon attack with an unarmed strike per Crawford's clarification:

TL;DR: Yes you can use natural attacks for Divine smite as divine smite says "when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack". Alter self's unarmed part definitely works and I believe natural weapons do as well based on that and the MM quote.

Interesting. Thanks!

Louro
2015-08-25, 07:51 PM

Wouldn't you say that a fireball "damages" a pile of straw?
I guess this is DM fiat by using common sense.

A sonic damage spell could damage a crystal thing, while an acid based one could damage metals and so on. And this is what the DMG says about the matter.

Kryx
2015-08-26, 03:57 AM
R46 Restating RAW. Any further debate about DM fiat should not be in a RAW thread.

Wouldn't you say that a fireball "damages" a pile of straw?
I guess this is DM fiat by using common sense.
It's not DM fiat, or common sense. Fireball specifically says it damages objects.

A sonic damage spell could damage a crystal thing, while an acid based one could damage metals and so on. And this is what the DMG says about the matter.
A spell like Shatter does indeed damage objects as it says it does. Melf's is another one of those ambiguous ones that just specifies "target" - presumably creature or object. Other spells like Eldritch Blast or Acid Splash specifically target creatures and not objects.

Ranting Fool
2015-08-26, 07:02 AM
Q50

Multi-class characters:

Do they gain stats/feats at the same rate as other characters (every 4 levels)
or is it 4 levels of 1 class.

Would a Fighter 1/Wizard 3 Get a Stat bonus/Feat?

asorel
2015-08-26, 08:12 AM
A 50 Feats/ASIs are class features, and are thus determined by class levels. A Fighter 1/Wizard 3 would not get access to an ASI until either Fighter 4 or Wizard 4.

Corey
2015-08-26, 03:29 PM

Thanks! Sounds pretty dispositive to me.

Corey
2015-08-28, 01:40 AM
Q51 If you have Invisibility active on you and hold a mouse in your hand, is it invisible? How about if the mouse is in your pocket?

Objects that you carry are unquestionably invisible, but creatures are commonly distinguished from objects.

Edit; I can A51 myself. Invisibility's text refers to "anything" carried, as long as it's on the invisible carrier, so all the answers are Yes. I think that would even apply to an invisible steed, as it should -- you and your steed should be made invisible by the same spell that would make you invisible if you were walking.

coredump
2015-08-28, 10:39 AM
Q51 If you have Invisibility active on you and hold a mouse in your hand, is it invisible? How about if the mouse is in your pocket?

Objects that you carry are unquestionably invisible, but creatures are commonly distinguished from objects.

Edit; I can A51 myself. Invisibility's text refers to "anything" carried, as long as it's on the invisible carrier, so all the answers are Yes. I think that would even apply to an invisible steed, as it should -- you and your steed should be made invisible by the same spell that would make you invisible if you were walking.

I would only allow that if you were carrying your steed..

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-28, 02:36 PM
I would only allow that if you were carrying your steed..

Or the steed was the one being turned invisible...

Corey
2015-08-28, 07:10 PM
Or the steed was the one being turned invisible...

That was what I was suggesting,

Louro
2015-08-29, 07:39 PM
Tricky.

What if the Fighter is carrying the wizard? Can they both turn invisible with just one spell?
Not sure, but I think I would allow it with the Wizard familiar, but not with another character.

EDIT: What if the fighter (who is a mass of muscle) is carrying the gnome wizard, the elf rogue and the human cleric? Sure they won't go fast but... Heck! They all would be insivible!

Rusvul
2015-08-29, 11:18 PM
Q52:

I'm a bit confused about multiclass spellcasting... Let's say I take 3 levels of Sorcerer. I have access to second-level spell slots. Now what if I take a level of Bard? I have 4 bard spells known, and because I've taken another caster level, I have 3 second-level spell slots. Am I allowed to take second-level Bard spells as a first level Bard, because I have the spell slots? Or am I restricted to spells I would be able to select if I was a single-class bard with as many bard levels as I have?

Apologies, that seems poorly worded. Not sure how to better phrase it, though.

Louro
2015-08-29, 11:56 PM
You have two diferent "sources" of magic power. Each spell list is diferent and you pick new spells according to the new class level.
So no, as a lv 1 bard you know 4 spells, all of them lv 1.

Spells known:
- Lv 1 Bard: 4 spells (lv 1)
- Lv 3 wizard: The spells on your book. You can prepare up to (INT modifier + wizard level) spells, in any combination (all of them lv 2 if you want)

Spell slots:
- Lv 1 + lv 3 = lv 4 magic user*. Check the multiclass spellcaster chart and you get 4 lv1 slots and 3 lv2 slots. You can cast any of your "ready" spells (the 4 you know as bard or the ones you have prepared as wizard) using those slots. Using CHA for bard spells and INT for wizard spells.

*Ranger and paladin levels count as half.

okyn
2015-08-30, 12:28 AM
Q 53

If you try to cast a cantrip while a hostile creature is 5 feet from you. Do you have disadvantage? One of my friends brought this up today, and i can't find where it says in the book.

Corey
2015-08-30, 12:49 AM
Q 53

If you try to cast a cantrip while a hostile creature is 5 feet from you. Do you have disadvantage? One of my friends brought this up today, and i can't find where it says in the book.

I assume you're talking about cantrips with ranged attack rolls. :)

I recall convincing myself that the answer is "Yes", but I don't have the book reference in front of me at the moment.

Corey
2015-08-30, 12:51 AM
Q52:

I'm a bit confused about multiclass spellcasting... Let's say I take 3 levels of Sorcerer. I have access to second-level spell slots. Now what if I take a level of Bard? I have 4 bard spells known, and because I've taken another caster level, I have 3 second-level spell slots. Am I allowed to take second-level Bard spells as a first level Bard, because I have the spell slots? Or am I restricted to spells I would be able to select if I was a single-class bard with as many bard levels as I have?

Apologies, that seems poorly worded. Not sure how to better phrase it, though.

A52 You can only learn spells based on your level in the particular class. You get spell slots based on all your relevant classes combined. This could easily have the effect that you have a slot of a certain level but are unable to learn spells of the slot's level. (If you cast a lower-level spell that adds power in a higher slot, however, then good for you.)

Coidzor
2015-08-30, 12:54 AM
Q 54: I came across an assertion that there's a RAW limitation on the number of minions a creature can have.

Arguably there are two flaws in this:

1) the simulacrum is regarded as the same creature to an extent, and any given creature can only have one minion.

Is this actually in the rules and if so, where is it in the rules?

Kryx
2015-08-30, 03:55 AM
A53 Any ranged attack spell cast within 5 feet of a hostile creature is at disadvantage.

RANGED ATTACKS IN CLOSE COMBAT
Aiming a ranged attack is more difficult when a foe is next to you. When you make a ranged atlack with a weapon, a spell, or some other means, you have disadvantage on the attack roll if you are within 5 feet of a hostile creature who can see you and who isn't incapacitated.

Corey
2015-08-30, 05:39 AM
A53 Any Attack spell cast within 5 feet of a hostile creature is at disadvantage.

Except, of course, for the melee attack spells. :smallbiggrin:

Kryx
2015-08-30, 05:58 AM
Except, of course, for the melee attack spells. :smallbiggrin:
No! All attacks are at disadvantage besides reach weapons and casters! Casters reign supreme!

Fixt. ;)

jkat718
2015-08-30, 04:03 PM
Q 54: I came across an assertion that there's a RAW limitation on the number of minions a creature can have.
*snip* Is this actually in the rules and if so, where is it in the rules?

A54: It's in the text of the Simulacrum spell itself:
If you cast this spell again, any currently active duplicates you created with this spell are instantly destroyed. That is to say, there can be multiple duplicates of the same creature, but each one must be created by a new caster, as a career can only have one Simulacrum active at any given time.

Scarlet Dragon
2015-08-30, 08:42 PM
A54: It's in the text of the Simulacrum spell itself: That is to say, there can be multiple duplicates of the same creature, but each one must be created by a new caster, as a career can only have one Simulacrum active at any given time.

R54 I believe they meant any spell that summons/creates another creature. While there isn't a hard limit on the number, the time it takes to summon them and the fact that most summoning spells are concentration based do impose a soft limit of creatures summoned to only what the spell you are using allows. The only spell I can think of right now that summons a creature that isn't concentration based,besides Simulacrum, is Planar Ally and while you can cast it multiple times in a row you probably wouldn't because that spell isn't cheap to cast.

coredump
2015-08-31, 08:48 AM
No! All attacks are at disadvantage besides reach weapons and casters! Casters reign supreme!

Fixt. ;)
I assume you were making a joke here.....

Louro
2015-08-31, 04:15 PM
Q 55: Can a glyph of warding store a spell cast by another person?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-31, 04:37 PM
Q 55: Can a glyph of warding store a spell cast by another person?

A 55 No. “Spell Glyph. You can store a prepared spell of 3rd level or lower in the glyph by casting it as part of creating the glyph.”

Emphasis mine. Since the description doesn't mention another person casting that prepared spell it must be you.

Michael7123
2015-08-31, 11:33 PM
Q. 56 Most cantrips that deal damage have conditions saying they scale with level. Do these scale with character level, or class level?

E’Tallitnics
2015-08-31, 11:43 PM
Q. 56 Most cantrips that deal damage have conditions saying they scale with level. Do these scale with character level, or class level?

A 56 Character Level.

From the Sage Advice Compendium:
Cantrips
If a character has levels in more than one class, do the character’s cantrips scale with character level or with the level in a spellcasting class? Cantrips scale with character level. For example, a barbarian 2 / cleric 3 casts sacred flame as a 5th-level character.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.01.pdf

Louro
2015-09-01, 06:55 AM
A 55 No. “Spell Glyph. You can store a prepared spell of 3rd level or lower in the glyph by casting it as part of creating the glyph.”

Emphasis mine. Since the description doesn't mention another person casting that prepared spell it must be you.

It just say the stored spell must be cast at the same time, that "casting" is not attached to any subject so... just wondering. English is not my native language.

DivisibleByZero
2015-09-01, 09:24 AM
It just say the stored spell must be cast at the same time, that "casting" is not attached to any subject so... just wondering. English is not my native language.

Yes, the casting is indeed attached.
It doesn't say: A spell of 3rd level or lower may be stored in the glyph as long as it gets cast while you are creating the glyph.
It says: You can store a prepared spell of 3rd level or lower in the glyph by casting it as part of creating the glyph.

You <can do this thing> <if you do it at this time>.
You. The caster.

If the DM wants to be nice he or she could allow another caster to include the spell, but as written it must be cast by you, as part of creating the glyph.

Louro
2015-09-01, 09:53 AM
I see what you mean, thanks for the explanation.

And no, the DM doesn't want to be nice. He wants to punish his players for his lack of team play and zero ahead planning. Those glyphs will be used by the enemy party.
EDIT: Problem is that if I follow the rules 2 of them might be rolling a new char, while allowing it either victory or TPK.

Alejandro
2015-09-01, 11:05 AM
Q.57

Apologies if it is a stupid question.

Character X is 7th level and is now leveling up. If X advanced to 8th level, X would receive Ability Score Increase (or a Feat, if used.)

If Character X instead takes 1 level of a second class, do they lose out on the Ability Score Increase? That is, is it tied to number of levels in a particular class, or number of character levels?

Kryx
2015-09-01, 11:24 AM
Q.57

Apologies if it is a stupid question.

Character X is 7th level and is now leveling up. If X advanced to 8th level, X would receive Ability Score Increase (or a Feat, if used.)

If Character X instead takes 1 level of a second class, do they lose out on the Ability Score Increase? That is, is it tied to number of levels in a particular class, or number of character levels?
It is a class feature. You gain it from a class, not total levels.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-01, 09:25 PM
Q58 Concerning the “Specific Beats General” rule (PH, p. 7).

If my Paladin of Malar has an actual Bear Claw worn about her neck, and alway visible, as a Holy Symbol:

PH, p. 203, “Material (M)” … A spellcaster must have a hand free to access these components, but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

PH, p. 151, “Holy Symbol” … To use the symbol in this way, the caster must hold it in hand, wear it visibly, or bear it on a shield.

Emphasis mine.

Am I correct in reading this as “Material (M)” is general and “Holy Symbol” is specific?

In as much as my Paladin doesn’t need to have the bear claw in hand to cast spells? (Understanding the requirements for consumable / GP components.)

jkat718
2015-09-02, 11:59 PM
A58: A Holy Symbol mounted on a shield is considered to be a Spellcasting Focus for a Cleric or Paladin, and is considered "in hand" as long as said shield is held (ie, yes, you are correct).

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-03, 12:06 AM
A58: A Holy Symbol mounted on a shield is considered to be a Spellcasting Focus for a Cleric or Paladin, and is considered "in hand" as long as said shield is held (ie, yes, you are correct).

R58 Thank you, but the question is whether the rules for an amulet as a holy symbol beat the rules for material components that need to be held.

I'm aware of the holy symbol on a shield and the "yes" to S, M component requirements, but "No" to just S.

Scarlet Dragon
2015-09-03, 01:38 AM
R58 This is a specific beats general type of question and specific always beats general. The general rule is that you need a free hand to use something for components. Holy Symbols state in their description three ways to use it, specifically one way says you only need to wear it visibly. Therefore you are correct you do not need a free hand if it is worn around your neck as an amulet or worn visibly some other way.

rgrekejin
2015-09-03, 12:34 PM
A few quick questions:

Q59 Are there hard-and-fast rules for knowing the identity and level of a spell an opponent is casting when using Counterspell, or is it a DM's call situation?

Q60 Speaking of Counterspell, when casting Counterspell using a spell slot that doesn't automatically succeed, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability score. Presumably, your proficiency bonus does not apply to this check (correct me if I'm wrong about that). If you are a Bard who has acquired Counterspell via Magical Secrets, do you get to add half your proficiency bonus to the roll from Jack of All Trades?

Q61 The Warcaster feat allows you to cast a spell in place of an attack of opportunity, so long as the spell only targets the opponent triggering the AoO. Can you use a spell like Eldritch Blast, which, at higher levels, has the potential to target multiple enemies, so long as you only *actually* target the enemy who is provoking the AoO?

Q62 The only specification about how long poisons last states that poisons applied to a weapon dry out and becomes useless after a minute. Does the poison also rub off after making a successful attack, as it did in 3.5, or does the poison last for a full 10 rounds no matter how many hits you land with it?

Thanks for your help!

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-03, 01:17 PM
A 59

No rules exist by RAW

A 60

It is an ability check so yes, Jack of All Trades appies

A 62

Ambiguous. Jeremy Crawford has stated that he's looking into this for DMG errata. I think a very strict RAW interpretation would imply that it does not wear off.

MrUberGr
2015-09-03, 03:42 PM
[Q63] I'm fairly certain this has been discussed but if you do not cast hex on someone is it lost?

rgrekejin
2015-09-03, 03:50 PM
A63 No, it stays until you lose concentration or the time limit runs out. The relevant portion of the spell reads "If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature."

Not "on your next turn" but "on a subsequent turn of yours". Hex doesn't end if you don't transfer it to a new target, it just doesn't do anything until you spend a bonus action to do so.

Raphite1
2015-09-03, 04:39 PM
Q64: If a character has the Shield Master feat, can they use their bonus action to shove with their shield before taking any of the attacks granted by taking the Attack action?

The wording of the feat shows a clear intent that you must take the Attack action before using this bonus action, but it doesn't specify whether you have to actually use up any or all of the attacks granted by taking that action before using the bonus action. The rules in general contemplate all the activity from the Attack action not happening instantly, since a character can move between attacks if they have more than one.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-03, 05:53 PM
Q64: If a character has the Shield Master feat, can they use their bonus action to shove with their shield before taking any of the attacks granted by taking the Attack action?

The wording of the feat shows a clear intent that you must take the Attack action before using this bonus action, but it doesn't specify whether you have to actually use up any or all of the attacks granted by taking that action before using the bonus action. The rules in general contemplate all the activity from the Attack action not happening instantly, since a character can move between attacks if they have more than one.

A64 Yes, you can: http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/29/shield-master-feat/

Scarlet Dragon
2015-09-03, 05:55 PM
A61 Yes Eldritch Blast is a valid spell to use when an AoO occurs and you have the feat. The wording actually only states that the spell "must target only that creature". So potentially multi-targeted spells like Magic Missiles or Scorching Ray can be used as long as they only target the creature who provoked the AoO.

As a side note since the spell has to target the creature, area of effect spells cannot be used even if their area only encompasses the target, as they target the area and only affect creatures inside.

Corey
2015-09-03, 09:30 PM
Q65 Does the following work?

Bad guy B casts a spell.
Adventurer A Counterspells it.
B Counterspell's A's Counterspell.
Sidekick S1 Counterspells B's Counterspell.
Minion M1 Counterspell's S1's Counterspell.
Sidekick S2 Counterspell's M1's Counterspell.
Etc.

Please assume no character involved has yet used his reaction on that turn.

Q66
And does this work?

Bad guy B casts a spell.
Adventurer A tries to Counterspell it, but fails his ability check.
Sidekick S1 now Counterspells B's spell.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-03, 09:51 PM
Q65 Does the following work?

Bad guy B casts a spell.
Adventurer A Counterspells it.
B Counterspell's A's Counterspell.
Sidekick S1 Counterspells B's Counterspell.
Minion M1 Counterspell's S1's Counterspell.
Sidekick S2 Counterspell's M1's Counterspell.
Etc.

Please assume no character involved has yet used his reaction on that turn.

Q66
And does this work?

Bad guy B casts a spell.
Adventurer A tries to Counterspell it, but fails his ability check.
Sidekick S1 now Counterspells B's spell.

A65 Every even Counterspell allows the initial spell to go through. Every odd Counterspell stops the initial spell. You continue the chain until you run out of casters.

A65 Failing an ability check means nothing if there's another caster that can Counterspell. It does however interfere with the even/odd progression.

Raphite1
2015-09-06, 01:24 PM
Q67: If your mount (let's say a horse) takes the Disengage action and you have it move away from a foe while you're riding it, obviously the mount doesn't provoke an AOO. But do you?

The rules on p. 198 of the PHB do specify that if the mount provokes, the enemy can attack either the mount or you.

Kryx
2015-09-06, 02:21 PM
Q67: If your mount (let's say a horse) takes the Disengage action and you have it move away from a foe while you're riding it, obviously the mount doesn't provoke an AOO. But do you?

Crawford responded to this:

No, since the mount isn't provoking them and the rider is being moved by someone else's movement (PH, 195).

Daws2727
2015-09-07, 06:02 PM
Q 68: Does the paladin smite extra damage work with critical? As in would you roll 4d8 damage from smite plus whatever weapon damage you do?

Kryx
2015-09-07, 06:11 PM
Q 68: Does the paladin smite extra damage work with critical? As in would you roll 4d8 damage from smite plus whatever weapon damage you do?
Yup, that is RAW.

Avigor
2015-09-08, 02:16 AM
Q69:
If I take a dip in Wizard then multiclass to another full caster and unlock higher level slots, can I add higher level spells to his spellbook, and if so would they function as full spells or only be usable as rituals?

Corey
2015-09-08, 04:27 AM
Q69:
If I take a dip in Wizard then multiclass to another full caster and unlock higher level slots, can I add higher level spells to his spellbook, and if so would they function as full spells or only be usable as rituals?

A69 If you look in the PHB section on multi-classing rules, it says clearly that spells you can learn, prepare and so on are determined on a class-by-class basis. It's only in granting you spell slots for the day that the classes combine. (Also, any spell slot can be used for spells from any of your classes.)

Louro
2015-09-09, 11:35 AM
Q70: Does "Sneak Atack" stack with "Assasinate"?
Is the sneak atack bonus damage doubled with the assasinate feature?
Damage: 1d6 (short sword) + 1d6 (sneak lv 1) x2 (assasinate) = 4d6

I guess yes, but not sure.

Aetol
2015-09-09, 11:40 AM
A70 : Assassinate grants you crits.
Crits make you roll all your damage dice twice.
Sneak Attack gives you additional damage dice. So yes, you also double those.

luagha
2015-09-09, 04:40 PM
Q71

I have a Warlock with an Imp familiar. I cast Vampiric Touch and will proceed to concentrate on it for a full minute.

Do I have to specify at the outset whether I am channelling the spell through my Imp familiar and have him perform all 10 of the possible attacks, or may I swap from the Imp to the Warlock from round to round as suits our needs, assuming all action-related issues are proper? - (ie, following RAW as when the Imp makes the attack when the Warlock directs. as per Vampiric Touch, or when the Warlock tries to tag himself.)

Scarlet Dragon
2015-09-11, 02:41 AM
A71 You may not have your familiar deliver any as the spell has a range of self not touch. The spell only grants you the ability to make touch attacks instead of your normal action but it isn't itself a touch spell.

Talon Sky
2015-09-11, 06:53 AM
Q72 With the Specter's Life Drain attack (MM p. 279), it does 3d6 on a hit and forces a Con save. On a fail, the PC's max HP is reduced by the damage taken, but that's where I'm confused. Does it, effectively, do the damage again?

For example, the Specter hits a fighter with 40 HP and does 6 damage. The fighter is at 34/40 HP. Say the fighter fails the save somehow. Is his new total HP 34/34, or 28/34?

Louro
2015-09-11, 07:21 AM
CR 1, so I would say 34/34 on a failed save, 34/40 on a succesful one.

DivisibleByZero
2015-09-11, 10:50 AM
Q72 With the Specter's Life Drain attack (MM p. 279), it does 3d6 on a hit and forces a Con save. On a fail, the PC's max HP is reduced by the damage taken, but that's where I'm confused. Does it, effectively, do the damage again?

For example, the Specter hits a fighter with 40 HP and does 6 damage. The fighter is at 34/40 HP. Say the fighter fails the save somehow. Is his new total HP 34/34, or 28/34?

CR 1, so I would say 34/34 on a failed save, 34/40 on a succesful one.

Correct. It's basically saying if you fail the saving throw the damage from that attack cannot be healed by any means until the character takes a long rest.

jkat718
2015-09-11, 10:56 AM

A72: No, the PC takes no additional damage. Here's an example:

Round 1: Character has 40/40 HP. Specter hits for 9, character is now at 31/40 HP. Character passes save, remains at 31/40 HP.
Round 2: Character still has 31/40 HP. Specter hits for a piddling 5 damage, character is now at 26/40 HP. Character fails save, has max HP is reduced by 5, is now at 26/25 HP.

Think of it this way: if a character fails their save, the damage from that attack becomes "unhealable" until that character's next long rest.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-11, 12:17 PM
A72: No, the PC takes no additional damage. Here's an example:

Round 1: Character has 40/40 HP. Specter hits for 9, character is now at 31/40 HP. Character passes save, remains at 31/40 HP.
Round 2: Character still has 31/40 HP. Specter hits for a piddling 5 damage, character is now at 26/40 HP. Character fails save, has max HP is reduced by 5, is now at 26/25 HP.

Think of it this way: if a character fails their save, the damage from that attack becomes "unhealable" until that character's next long rest.

R72 Remember that a long rest merely restores the HP Maximum back to normal. It does not also restore the character to full HP. That requires another long rest.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/03/life-drain/

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-11, 12:31 PM
R72 Remember that a long rest merely restores the HP Maximum back to normal. It does not also restore the character to full HP. That requires another long rest.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/03/life-drain/

R 72

That is not what that says. Crawford is speaking in the generic case that, if an effect which reduces max HP disappears, there is no implied restoration of current HP.

A long rest restores a character to full HP. If the condition for removing life drain is the completion of a long rest, then the long rest will result in the character being at full max and current HP.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-11, 12:39 PM
R 72

That is not what that says. Crawford is speaking in the generic case that, if an effect which reduces max HP disappears, there is no implied restoration of current HP.

A long rest restores a character to full HP. If the condition for removing life drain is the completion of a long rest, then the long rest will result in the character being at full max and current HP.

“When Life Drain wears off, the subject's hp maximum is no longer reduced, but there is no automatic restoration of hp.”

Life Drain 'wears off' after a long rest. His comment seems very clear that Maximum HP is restored, and that HP doesn't automatically get restored.

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-11, 12:50 PM
“When Life Drain wears off, the subject's hp maximum is no longer reduced, but there is no automatic restoration of hp.”

Life Drain 'wears off' after a long rest. His comment seems very clear that Maximum HP is restored, and that HP doesn't automatically get restored.

It's true that he could have worded it better, but "automatic restoration of HP" in this case refers to the fact that you don't gain your current HP back just because you gained your max HP back. If, for example, you used restoration or some other magic to clear the effect, you would not gain current HP.

Regardless of what you think about what he said, Crawford is not the source for RAW, the book is - Crawford just has a very complete understanding of the RAW. Crawford cannot change RAW simply by sending off a tweet, he can only clarify it (which he did not do exceptionally well this time).

Where in the core rules does it indicate that life drain prevents someone from going back to full HP after a long rest?

coredump
2015-09-11, 02:14 PM
Regardless of what you think about what he said, Crawford is not the source for RAW, the book is - Crawford just has a very complete understanding of the RAW. Crawford cannot change RAW simply by sending off a tweet, he can only clarify it (which he did not do exceptionally well this time).

Actually, WotC has stated that JC *is* a source for RAW. He has been given the authority to dictate what is (and isn't) RAW.

No one is required to follow RAW.... but he is the source.

As for his tweet.... there are many variants for how HP are recovered, thus he spoke in general terms. Removal the the Drain Life effect does *not* bring back hit points. But in the default game, a Long Rest will remove the Drain Life effect *and* it will bring back hit points.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-11, 03:07 PM
Actually, WotC has stated that JC *is* a source for RAW. He has been given the authority to dictate what is (and isn't) RAW.

No one is required to follow RAW.... but he is the source.

As for his tweet.... there are many variants for how HP are recovered, thus he spoke in general terms. Removal the the Drain Life effect does *not* bring back hit points. But in the default game, a Long Rest will remove the Drain Life effect *and* it will bring back hit points.

R72 I thought this was a case of Specific Beats General. The Life Drain effect is specific in, "The reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest." So you must finish the long rest before the maximum is raised. The effect says nothing about also regaining all lost HP.

Only Greater Restoration specifies that it can end, "One effect reducing the target's hit point maximum".

So if a 40/40 Fighter tangled with a Specter and lost 30 Max HP (10/10), she'd take a long rest and wake up at 10/40. It would then require additional healing / long rest to restore her HP to 40.

She could also have Greater Restoration casts on her to remove the effect, then complete a long rest and be restored to 40/40.

Aetol
2015-09-11, 03:47 PM
R72 I thought this was a case of Specific Beats General. The Life Drain effect is specific in, "The reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest." So you must finish the long rest before the maximum is raised. The effect says nothing about also regaining all lost HP.

Only Greater Restoration specifies that it can end, "One effect reducing the target's hit point maximum".

So if a 40/40 Fighter tangled with a Specter and lost 30 Max HP (10/10), she'd take a long rest and wake up at 10/40. It would then require additional healing / long rest to restore her HP to 40.

She could also have Greater Restoration casts on her to remove the effect, then complete a long rest and be restored to 40/40.

R72 You also regain all lost HP upon finishing the long rest. What Crawford said is that removing the HP maximum reduction does not automatically restores current HP ; but a long rest restores HP maximum, and current HP.

So : if you were Life Drained from 40/40 to 10/10, and have Greater Restoration cast on you, you are at 10/40 because Greater Restoration only removes the Life Drain. But if you finish a long rest instead, you are at 40/40 because the long rest removes the Life Drain and restores your HP.

coredump
2015-09-11, 09:04 PM

IMO that interpretation would be valid 'within RAW', though not the only valid interpretation within RAW. Further I don't think it is the intended interpretation. It relies on a 'timing issue' of a type that 5E tends to avoid. 5E tends to be much more relaxed about things like that.

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-11, 09:41 PM
IMO that interpretation would be valid 'within RAW', though not the only valid interpretation within RAW. Further I don't think it is the intended interpretation. It relies on a 'timing issue' of a type that 5E tends to avoid. 5E tends to be much more relaxed about things like that.

R72 So, “Up to the DM”?

Talon Sky
2015-09-12, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the clarification, everyone. I have another.

Q73 I want to take the Helmed Horror and give it a more Elven feel. So I'm thinking of dropping the shield it carries and replacing it with short sword. It already has two attacks with the longsword per the Multiattack option, but would giving it another sword also give it a third attack?

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-12, 12:10 AM
Q73 I want to take the Helmed Horror and give it a more Elven feel. So I'm thinking of dropping the shield it carries and replacing it with short sword. It already has two attacks with the longsword per the Multiattack option, but would giving it another sword also give it a third attack?

A 73

There is no RAW for this. Monsters have whatever abilities are specified in their statblock - if you modify the statblock, you get to choose however many attacks it gets.

Louro
2015-09-12, 08:11 PM
Lower AC by 2 (no shield), and add the 3rd attack. Monter rating will be the same.

Clistenes
2015-09-13, 09:53 AM
Q74: Can a Bard use Comprehend Languages to read and use a Wizard scroll?

Aetol
2015-09-13, 10:04 AM
A74 I don't think scrolls are written in what could be called a "written language". PHB p.114 implies that it's rather a system of notation specific to each wizard, and without having studied magic enough to know what the notations might mean, you can't decipher it.

Santra
2015-09-14, 10:41 AM
Q75: Are there any rules regarding casting spells that require a verbal component underwater?

Q76: If I cast Leomunds Tiny Hut while standing on the ocean floor would this create a dome of dry air since "The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside."? Would the water flow out since the water that is inside the dome can pass through but the water outside cannot?

Kryx
2015-09-14, 11:03 AM
A75: Nope. I allow it only with waterbreathing.

A76: No RAW or RAI. I wouldn't.

Lord Il Palazzo
2015-09-14, 11:37 AM
Q77: A paladin can wait until after their attack hits and before they roll damage to decide whether to use Divine Smite (so they can smite on a crit, for example.) The spell Branding Smite has a casting time of 1 Bonus Action and the only component is verbal.

Basic Rules pg. 69 says:

You choose when to take a bonus action during your
turn, unless the bonus action’s timing is specified, and
anything that deprives you of your ability to take actions
also prevents you from taking a bonus action.

And Basic Rules pg. 79 says:

A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You
must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell,
provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action
this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same
turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

So context being done, the question: Can a paladin cast Branding Smite between making a weapon attack roll and the weapon damage role, as you can with Divine Smite? I can't find anything that specifically permits it or forbids it besides the "you choose when to take a bonus action during your turn" which seems to lean toward permit. Is there anything else I'm missing?

(If it matters, I'm asking about Branding Smite specifically because it's the only [X] Smite that works with a ranged attack.)

Kryx
2015-09-14, 11:47 AM
A77 Actions are resolved one at a time. You cannot throw a bonus action into the middle of an action sequence.

Aetol
2015-09-14, 11:49 AM
A77 Branding Smite is a concentration spell that lasts 1 minute and triggers the smite "the next time you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack" (PHB p.220).

So, even if you could throw a bonus action in the middle of the resolution of an attack (which is pretty dodgy by itself), you can't make Branding Smite work on an attack that has already hit.

hennasmith
2015-09-14, 02:19 PM
Q78
Regarding elves, trance, and reduced Hit Point Maximum. Would an elf, suffering from a reduced hit point maximum, lose the effect after a 4 hour trance? Or would that elf have to actually rest 8 hours to lose the reduced hp effect?

DivisibleByZero
2015-09-14, 02:31 PM
Q78
Regarding elves, trance, and reduced Hit Point Maximum. Would an elf, suffering from a reduced hit point maximum, lose the effect after a 4 hour trance? Or would that elf have to actually rest 8 hours to lose the reduced hp effect?

A78:
A long rest requires eight hours of uninterrupted rest or light activity.
Nothing about an elf's trance making them only require 4 hours of sleep per night changes that. The other four hours must still be light activity, at the end of which they have fulfilled the requirements for completing a long rest.

The trance doesn't turn their 8 hour long rest into 4 hours. It merely makes them better for standing watch, and things like that. They still need the full 8 hours to gain the benefits of a long rest.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-09-14, 10:05 PM
Q 79

The Observant feat states that:
You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and passive Intelligence (Investigation) scores.When might one use passive investigation instead of active investigation? To put it more specifically...
a. Can a player use it to essentially "take 10" on investigation checks instead of rolling? The entry on Passive Checks (PHB 175) seems to imply this, but it's unclear what the scope is.
b. From the DM's side, what are some nontrivial examples of things a PC with a very high passive investigation score would learn automatically?

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-14, 11:57 PM
A 79
Passive checks are a DM tool that can be used in lieu of non-passive checks whenever convenient. The feat applies whenever the DM decides to check for something based on passive investigation rather than a d20 roll.

Part B of the question isn't a RAW question and thus should get its own thread.

Aharon
2015-09-15, 02:30 AM
Q80
Does the "Help" action qualify as a simple task an unseen servant can do? (Sample orders: Fetch the lockpick for me/hold that wire completely still (during lockpicking) /move behind that orc and wave around a banner to distract him (to aid an ally's attack) - all seems in line with "simple tasks that a human servant could do").

coredump
2015-09-15, 03:23 AM
Q 79

The Observant feat states that: When might one use passive investigation instead of active investigation? A PC does not 'use passive investigation', nor does it 'use active investigation'. The only thing the PC does is to look around for clues and make deductions. If there is uncertainty, the DM may call for a skill check, depending on the situation, the DM may use a standard skill check, or may use a Passive skill check.
The *only* difference is the mechanic used by the DM to determine uncertainty.... it has nothing to do with how the PC is doing something.

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-15, 09:27 AM
A 80

Given that the only rules text is "A simple task that a human servant could do such as..." with a list of examples, of which the Help action is not one, there is no RAW answer to this. Ask your DM.

Ranting Fool
2015-09-15, 10:39 AM
Q81

Fighters "Action Surge" Can the fighter use two bonus actions in the same turn.

Attack main weapon , attack 2nd weapon (as a bonus action)
use surge
Attack main weapon, attack 2nd weapon (as a bonus action)

?

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-15, 10:42 AM
A 81

No. Action Surge gives you an additional action, not an additional bonus action.

coredump
2015-09-15, 04:30 PM
Q80
Does the "Help" action qualify as a simple task an unseen servant can do? (Sample orders: Fetch the lockpick for me/hold that wire completely still (during lockpicking) /move behind that orc and wave around a banner to distract him (to aid an ally's attack) - all seems in line with "simple tasks that a human servant could do").

The Help section says you can only help if it's something you could do. Since the unseen servant can't pick a lock.....

OTOH, if your DM rules that an US can pick a lock....

okyn
2015-09-15, 09:27 PM
Q 82

Are there any rules about playing a tiny creature?

okyn
2015-09-15, 10:07 PM
Q 83

How does a magic spell work that uses a cube effect? Would say thunderwave be a 3x3 square infront of you?

Aharon
2015-09-16, 03:21 AM
Q84
Does an unseen servant in front of you grant you cover?

Talon Sky
2015-09-16, 06:33 AM
Q85

If I have two Helmed Horrors flying above the PCs, slashing down at them, would the attacks from the Horrors have advantage?

Demonic Spoon
2015-09-16, 07:38 AM
A 82

Nope. All PC races are Small at a minimum

A 83

per PHB p 204, cube spells' point of origin is on one of the faces of the cube. So, a 3x3 (assuming 5 foot squares) area in front of you for Thunderwave is an appropriate example.

A 84

Probably DM-dependent and likely to change, but the unseen servant does appear to be a creature, and "a creature" is one example of something that gives half cover, so I guess the strict RAW interpretation is "yes, it gives cover".

A 85

There is no rule for gaining advantage for attacks made from above.

Louro
2015-09-16, 07:44 AM
A82: No rules about tiny PCs so far. Speak with the DM and set up the "template". You don't need to change much, just 16 MAX STR, special gear adequate to his size, and you are pretty much done. DM fiat on advantage/disadvantage about certain situations, like... trying to hide yourself should be easy due to your small size.

A83: That cube is 3x3x3, so it would catch who are flying up to 15 feet above the area.

A84: I think it should. Spells reads:
"This spell creates an invisible, mindless, shapeless force... It has AC 10, 1 hit point..."
So, its invisible but being behind him would grant you half cover. If the shots misses by 2 (the amount provided by the cover) that would mean it hit the Servant, finishing the spell.

A85: There is no ruling about this. They indeed have an edge by being over them but giving advantage because of this is not supported by RAW.

critter3of4
2015-09-16, 09:29 AM
Q 86

Multiclassing. If I decide to multiclass, can I potentially have proficiency in 4 saving throws? For example, start as a fighter (Strength and Constitution), then multicast to Rogue (Dexterity and Intelligence).

Aetol
2015-09-16, 09:39 AM
A86 Multiclassing only gives you some of the new class's starting proficiencies (PHB p.164).

In your example, multiclassing to Rogue gives you proficiencies in light armor, one skill (from the Rogue skill list) and thieves' tools.

coredump
2015-09-16, 02:48 PM
Q84
Does an unseen servant in front of you grant you cover?

There is nothing in the spell description that says the US is a creature, nor even how much space it might take up.

There is no reason to assume it could provide cover.

mjcoss
2015-09-16, 06:03 PM
Q87

Relevant text: PHB pg 63

Channel Divinity: War God' Blessing states that when a creature within 30 feet of you makes an attack roll, you can use your reaction to grant that creature a +10 bonus to the roll, using your Channel Divinity. You make this choice after you see the roll, but before the DM says whether the attack hits or miss.

So the question is does the cleric need line of sight to his ally to be able to use the ability (ie do you need to see the attack), or does he simply need to be within 30 ft and just know that an attack is happening, and going badly. It begin divine and all. DM ruled line of sight required, and I can see that that makes sense, however it does seem to contradict what is says.

Aetol
2015-09-16, 08:01 PM
A87 RAW nothing says the cleric even needs to be aware of the attack happening. Your DM's ruling is as good as any.

Coidzor
2015-09-16, 11:32 PM
Q88: Are adamantine weapons defined in the rules anywhere? If so, where?

jkat718
2015-09-16, 11:44 PM
Q88: Are adamantine weapons defined in the rules anywhere? If so, where?

A88: The only RAW that even tangentially defines adamantine weapons is the table on p.246 of the DMG, which states that the AC for an adamantine object would be 23.

Aelyn
2015-09-20, 04:33 PM
Q89 Is doffing a shield as an action the only way to voluntarily remove a shield, or is it possible to just drop it as a free action much as you would drop a sword?

Q90 Can the Disarm manoeuvre be used to make an opponent drop a shield?

Aetol
2015-09-20, 04:40 PM
A89 RAW there's no other way to remove a shield. RAI it's probably possible, ask your DM.

A90 "A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp." If your opponent is just holding his shield in his hand, then yes you can make him drop it. If it's strapped to his arm then you can't, since it's not "in his grasp".

Kryx
2015-09-20, 05:32 PM
A89 RAW there's no other way to remove a shield. RAI it's probably possible, ask your DM.
This is a bit of a stretch. No RAI (tweets) to back it up. Presumably you would then use the same action. Action to strap on, action to remove the straps.

A90 "A creature can use a weapon attack to knock a weapon or another item from a target's grasp." If your opponent is just holding his shield in his hand, then yes you can make him drop it. If it's strapped to his arm then you can't, since it's not "in his grasp".
Shields are not just held - that's why they take an action to equip. They almost always have a strap and then a holding point.
However I do not think "from the target's grasp" prevents shield disarms - you could for instance cut the straps.

Aetol
2015-09-20, 06:24 PM
This is a bit of a stretch. No RAI (tweets) to back it up. Presumably you would then use the same action. Action to strap on, action to remove the straps.

Shields are not just held - that's why they take an action to equip. They almost always have a strap and then a holding point.
However I do not think "from the target's grasp" prevents shield disarms - you could for instance cut the straps.

The shield is not necessarily strapped to the arm. You can see here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc) how shields with just a grip were used. In this case, dropping it would be a "swift" action ; you'd use an actual action to sling it over the shoulder or something.

Aelyn
2015-09-21, 02:24 AM
The shield is not necessarily strapped to the arm. You can see here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc) how shields with just a grip were used. In this case, dropping it would be a "swift" action ; you'd use an actual action to sling it over the shoulder or something.
This is what prompted my question; I'm DMing a campaign and one of my players asked the question. I said it should only be as an action and another player gave the above response.

I don't want to clutter up this thread; I'll start a new thread later discussing this.

jkat718
2015-09-21, 02:27 PM
Q91: Does the RAW ever mention whether or not resistances/immunities are visibly discernible?

JNAProductions
2015-09-21, 03:45 PM
A91-No it does not. As a DM, you should usually show when something is ineffective, but RAW it can work however you want it to.

jkat718
2015-09-21, 03:47 PM
A91-No it does not. As a DM, you should usually show when something is ineffective, but RAW it can work however you want it to.

Thanks...also, the Water Weird you're currently fighting has resistance to fire and non-magical B/P/S weapon damage. :smallbiggrin:

E’Tallitnics
2015-09-22, 12:01 AM
Q92: I seem to remember reading that a Magic Item is recognizable by touch. Not what it does, just that it's magic. Yet can't remember where this tidbit of data resides...

Scarlet Dragon
2015-09-22, 11:37 PM
A92 Page 136 DMG "Identifying a Magic Item" states that you can tell its extraordinary in some way by handling it.

coredump
2015-09-22, 11:38 PM
Q89 Is doffing a shield as an action the only way to voluntarily remove a shield, or is it possible to just drop it as a free action much as you would drop a sword?

A 'strapped' shield does not mean it is snug on the arm. Google "back of shield" and it becomes obvious that most strapped shields just slip onto the arm, and would be very simple to drop to the ground. And this doesn't even account for all of the shields that only have a single grip. (ala Vikings)
So it is perfectly reasonable to declare that you could drop the shield as a free object interaction, and that 'doffing' a shield is like 'sheathing' a sword; meaning you put it away.

That said.... what is and isn't allowed as a 'free object interaction' is clearly based partly on what is 'reasonable' and partly on game balance. You can't draw 2 daggers, but you can reach behind you to find a potion out of your backpack....

Q90 Can the Disarm manoeuvre be used to make an opponent drop a shield?It isn't covered, I don't think I would allow if there was a 'generic' disarm ability. But I might for a BattleMaster.

EggKookoo
2015-09-23, 08:05 AM
Q93 What if two characters want to use Portent on the same die roll? Ex: Bob rolls his d20 and gets a 10. Alice wants to use Portent to replace it with an 18. Zarkon wants to use Portent to replace it with a 5.

The PHB says "you can replace a roll in this way only once per turn" which does not say anything about multiple diviners getting into a kind of Portent duel.

(Sorry if this has been addressed. I did search first, I promise!)

Kryx
2015-09-23, 08:54 AM
A93. The restriction is on you, not other diviners. A roll can be modified by an infinite amount of diviners.