PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #6: Archduchess Glasya, Lady of the Sixth

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 02:39 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

I plan on designing specific warlock subclasses for the lords of the Nine Hells before moving on to other patrons (both fiendish or otherwise).

Glasya, Lady of Malbolge

http://i.imgur.com/XjVW1Q0.jpg
Serve me, or try to survive against my dogs. Your call.

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Command, Dissonant Whispers

2nd
Zone of Truth, Find Stead

3rd
Conjure Animals, Bestow Curse

4th
Dominate Beast, Compulsion

5th
Dominate Person, Gaes

Pact features:

The Power of Hell Compels You
Starting at level 1, you gain proficiency in intimidation checks. At level 10, you add double you proficiency bonus to intimidation checks.

Beastmaster
Starting at level 6, you have the option to obtain a hell hound familiar if you have pact of the chain class feature.

Hellish Willpower
Starting at level 10, you become immune to all charming effects. If someone tries to charm you, you can use your reaction to charm them without spending a spell slot.

Infernal Commander
At level 14, you can command your hell hound familiar with a bonus action without forgoing any of your own attacks. Additionally, your hellhound grows a pair of leather wings and a fly speed of 50ft. Your hellhound also gains resistance to slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage. These resistances can be overcome by silver or magic weapon. Finally, your hellhound gains complete immunity to fire damage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 02:40 PM
This subclass is somewhat similar to the subclass I designed for Archduchess Fierna (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428699-Michael-s-Specific-Warlock-Patron-4-Archduchess-Fierna-Lady-of-the-Fourth). The key difference between the two is that Fierna's selection of spells are designed around being subtle while getting other's to do what you want. . Glasya's spell list is designed to forcibly take control over others, to hells what they think about it.

I've designed a lot of these subclasses around the pact of the blade, so I decided to branch out and try something with pact of the chain. I do have worries that giving player's a free hellhound at level 6 might be a bit too much, so please talk to me about ways of possibly scaling down it's power.

Belac93
2015-07-19, 03:48 PM
Having a hell hound at level 6 seems overpowered. But if you look at it long enough you realize that you must expend an action to command the hell hound. I would suggest changing it so that fire breath will only recharge on a short or long rest, and get rid of the resistance to non magical weapons.
Also, hell hounds already have fire immunity right away, so part of the level 14 ability is redundant.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 07:07 PM
Having a hell hound at level 6 seems overpowered. But if you look at it long enough you realize that you must expend an action to command the hell hound. I would suggest changing it so that fire breath will only recharge on a short or long rest, and get rid of the resistance to non magical weapons.
Also, hell hounds already have fire immunity right away, so part of the level 14 ability is redundant.

I'll give the fire breath cooldown a thought.

Also, thanks for pointing out the detail about fire damage. I thought they were merely resistant to it by default.

Grek
2015-07-20, 08:41 AM
So what do you get at level 6 if you don't have the Pact of the Chain?

Also: Why are these all separate threads?

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 03:37 PM
So what do you get at level 6 if you don't have the Pact of the Chain?

Also: Why are these all separate threads?

For now? Nothing. However, if you have a good idea on a good sixth level ability, please let me know.

As for seperate threads.... well, it's really cool to see a bunch of my threads with my ideas floating around.