PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming War Game of the Gods

LordotTrinkets
2015-07-19, 03:36 PM
So, a few months ago, I started work on a campaign (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?400910-Splatboard-Campaign-Let-s-see-what-sticks&p=18906421#post18906421) that involved the Egyptian pantheon. I've made some decent progress in various ideas about the world, including actually taking the time to find the book that talks about binding and shadow magic, but now I want to turn my attention to the city states and the gods that would be sovereign over each.

So I went and did some preliminary research into Egyptian Mythology and found out that the city-state nature of each of the deities not only fit, it actually appeared to be how the various deities evolved into the forms we know of today. Basically, each of the gods were originally the god of a particular town or area, a master of usually fertility or fortune or whatever might be an appropriate way to make the environment around them manifest. Anyway, the real magic of how the gods morphed was that as one town conquered another, the god of the winning town was said to absorb the losing god into his own being or possibly adopt the god into his own family.

This also resulted in a lot of political twisting, as conquering nations to be altered myths to make the conquered more willing to accept their own god(s). In other words, the perfect recipe for the self-contradicting stories and family trees more twisted than the British royal family's to be born.

Because of this bizarre way of handling gods, I figured it would be best to start mostly from scratch, making a group of legends that are unique to this world, but still featuring the Egyptian gods.

The best that I can think of to handle things from here would be to have some kind of war game, one that features one god to represent each of the domains in the Core system of D&D 3.5 and will end with the current state of the city-state (which might become nations in the end), but the only problem is that I've never really played a war game of any sort and don't know how to progress from there.

Anyone who has suggestions for how to do this war game or join in that game/collaborative effort will be thanked.

the_david
2015-07-19, 03:42 PM
Sounds like you should try Dawn of Worlds.