PDA

View Full Version : Seeing into ethereal plane

D.U.P.A.
2015-07-19, 03:52 PM
Truesight gives a sight into ethereal plane, also some divination wizard feature allows you to get ethereal sight. What does this mean? How do you actually see things and what is supposed to be hidden in the ethereal plane that matters where are you at the moment?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 04:31 PM
Truesight gives a sight into ethereal plane, also some divination wizard feature allows you to get ethereal sight. What does this mean? How do you actually see things and what is supposed to be hidden in the ethereal plane that matters where are you at the moment?

The Ethereal Plane is mostly empty. It's kind of an in-between place, especially the Border Ethereal.

Several exceptions are explicitly listed in the books. Some spells shift creatures into the Ethereal Plane while allowing them to see into the Material Plane - this is like being invisible except that people who can see into the Ethereal Plane can see you and you can't affect each other. I also believe some monsters have the ability to shift themselves into the Ethereal Plane.

D.U.P.A.
2015-07-19, 05:23 PM
Does this include creature banished by Banishment spells? Are creatures under the effect of Invisibility spell visible in ethereal plane? Is there any way to target them in ethereal plane if you can see them?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-19, 05:30 PM
Does this include creature banished by Banishment spells?

Um... no? Banishment sends creatures back to their home plane or traps them in a demiplane if they're already home. Not many creatures make their homes on the Ethereal Plane.

Are creatures under the effect of Invisibility spell visible in ethereal plane?

No. They remain invisible. Though Truesight bypasses invisibility, so you'd have to take that into account. I can't see anything that suggests Material Plane creatures cast a 'shadow' in the Ethereal Plane (as with the Warp in Warhammer 40k).

Is there any way to target them in ethereal plane if you can see them?

I don't know, I'll have to look it up...

Ok. The only Material Plane effects that can affect people on the Ethereal Plane are:

Forbiddance, which can block their travel. I imagine it like a video game invisible wall.
Forcecage and Wall of Force, which have the same effect.

Nothing else can affect a target in the Ethereal Plane, unless the attacker is in that plane themselves.

Additional notes: you asked what might be hidden on the Ethereal Plane... well, Leomund's Secret Chest hides things on that Plane, so if you're insanely lucky, you might no stumble upon someone's (literal) secret chest. Also: there's no gravity on the Ethereal Plane (DMG 48).