PDA

View Full Version : Battle Cleric Build

LordOfCain
2015-07-19, 04:07 PM
I was wondering if I should get my second level in fighter or what. RAW only.
Lv. 1 Wood Elf Cleric of Wee Jas
Domains: Death and Law
Str: 15
Con: 13
Dex: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 16
Skills: 2 Ranks in Heal and in Knowledge (Religion)
Feat: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Weapon: Large Warhammer
Armor: Scalemail

Windrammer
2015-07-19, 04:10 PM
I was wondering if I should get my second level in fighter or what. RAW only.
Lv. 1 Wood Elf Cleric of Wee Jas
Domains: Death and Law
Str: 15
Con: 13
Dex: 10
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 16
Skills: 2 Ranks in Heal and in Knowledge (Religion)
Feat: Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Weapon: Large Warhammer
Armor: Scalemail

If you want to be a melee warrior why did you put the 16 in cha instead of str?

Aetis
2015-07-19, 04:17 PM
Assuming that only books allowed is PHB, Cha isn't important since you can't use Turn Undead to fuel Divine Metamagic/other divine feats.

I would recommend swapping out your Cha 16 with Str. (or Con)

If your level 1 is locked in already, then unless there is a particular fighter feat you really want for an early level build, you should continue leveling cleric to gain access to Divine Power (4th level spell) as early as possible.

LordOfCain
2015-07-19, 06:51 PM
Also, are there any other classes I should multiclass in? I kind of want the Weapon Focus/Improved Crit. feats though. I might get a level of fighter, cleric, and then fighter to get Improved Crit., and Weapon Focus, and have Toughness as my regular feat. But I don't want to take the xp penalty. Maybe I could multiclass as a ranger to get the favored enemy / combat style.

Aetis
2015-07-19, 08:18 PM
Since Improved Critical requires BAB of +8, it will be awhile before you have access to it.

If your DM is enforcing the multiclass XP penalty, then I recommend playing a human if you're set on multiclassing to avoid the penalty.

Toughness isn't a very good feat, even in PHB-only games. I recommend Power Attack if you are going for a melee-centric build.

Ranger's combat style only works while you're in light armor. In addition, Two-weapon-fighting and archery both deal less damage than a Two-handed weapon build. It's probably not worth multiclassing into Ranger.

Again, you should really try to not multiclass, and just hit level 7 cleric as fast as possible for access to divine power.