PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Aarakocra Draconic Sorcerer

DracoKnight
2015-07-19, 05:23 PM
I have a player who is contemplating playing an Aarakocra Draconic Sorcerer (Please refrain from commenting with your opinions as to the Aarakocra's balance, I allow them in my game) and I was wondering what everyone else would do about the Draconic Sorcerer's 14th level ability Dragon Wings, and how that would affect an Aarakocra.

Daishain
2015-07-19, 05:29 PM
Change appearance of wings to be draconic. Improve flying ability/speed by some appropriate amount.

That alone probably isn't exactly an exciting L14 ability, so some other bonus may be appropriate (might consider improving the nat AC ability to 14+dex)

Kryx
2015-07-19, 05:40 PM
Leave it as is. That's the cost of getting the benefit at level 1 imo.

Elbeyon
2015-07-19, 05:53 PM
Ask them if they want four wings? The Aarakocra wings are twice as fast the character's fly speed wouldn't by the rules go any faster now. I'd give them advantage on things that relate to flying. I might increase the character's fly speed depending on a lot of things.

Drackolus
2015-07-19, 05:53 PM
You could allow them to have their flying in medium or heavy armor, and increase their walking speed to 30 once they hit that level... not really very useful though. Giving them any more flying speed would probably just be silly, though I suppose you could ramp it all the way up to 60.
You could also give them the old draconic claw-style ability instead, where they can make an unarmed claw attack as a bonus action if they cast a spell, maybe ramp it up to 1d6.

Dralnu
2015-07-19, 06:36 PM
I think flying in medium/heavy armor is a given since you could already do it as a non-arakocra with dragon wings.

I don't think they need anything extra. Some race/class/multiclass abilities overlap, that's just how it is.

PotatoGolem
2015-07-19, 07:14 PM
I don't think they need anything extra. Some race/class/multiclass abilities overlap, that's just how it is.

Pretty much this. A Mountain Dwarf fighter/paladin/barbarian/ranger has overlapping weapon and armor proficiencies, and they don't get anything for it. Same with the Elf weapon training.