PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Michael's Specific Warlock Patron #7: Archduke Baalzebul, Lord of the Seventh

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 05:50 PM
I love the themes the warlock class bring to the table. Any character who wound up pledging himself to some sort of mysterious (Great old one), downright weird (Archfey), or devil (Fiend) will almost always have some sort of interesting backstory which is fun to explore in game.

However, the warlock subclasses in of themselves are pretty limited. Playing a warlock of Dagon, a demon lord of the abyss who resides in water, gives you the same classic "kill them all with fire" benefits as playing a warlock of Asmodeus. This is my attempt to change this.

I plan on designing specific warlock subclasses for the lords of the Nine Hells before moving on to other patrons (both fiendish or otherwise).

Baalzebul, Lord of Maladomini

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp345/taintedlight87/baalzebul.jpg
I'm ugly and I'm proud!

Expanded Spell list:

Spell Level
Spells

1st
Ray of sickness, Grease

2nd
Blindness/Deafness, Animal Messenger

3rd
Bestow Curse, Stinking Cloud

4th
Polymorph, Evard's Black Tentacles

5th
Swarm of Insects, Contagion

Pact features:

Vile Lifeform
Starting at level 1, you gain Immunity to poison and the poisoned condition.

Hellish Swarm
Starting at level 6, You can summon up to three swarms of insects (MM p.338). These creatures can be commanded by you in the same way a familiar can be commanded, but you can spontaneously control these creatures while controlling your familiar.

Sickening Nature
At level 10, you overcome poison resistance and immunity in other creatures.

Lord of Flies
At level 14, you can command your familiar and insect swarms with a bonus action without forgoing any of your own attacks. Additionally, your insect swarms and familiar both gain 10 to their maximum hitpoint total.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you ever use this class in a game, please post a link to the game in this thread or send me a pm telling me how this class performed. Any tips you can offer are helpful!

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 05:52 PM
Another pact of the chain oriented class with some added poison bonuses.

That's all really. I'm a bit worried about three insect swarms being a bit too much, so please give me any feedback if this causes problems in game.

Belac93
2015-07-19, 07:10 PM
I would consider replacing either Sickening Nature or Vile Lifeform, 5e tries to keep away from abilities that cancel each other out, and this makes the subclass weaker than it should be.
What about something that lets you increases poison damage or negate poison resistance or immunity? Many enemies (like, all constructs and undead) have immunity to poison, and that could make this subclass much more charming.

Michael7123
2015-07-19, 07:29 PM
I would consider replacing either Sickening Nature or Vile Lifeform, 5e tries to keep away from abilities that cancel each other out, and this makes the subclass weaker than it should be.
What about something that lets you increases poison damage or negate poison resistance or immunity? Many enemies (like, all constructs and undead) have immunity to poison, and that could make this subclass much more charming.

That's a good idea! Thanks for the help.

Michael7123
2015-07-20, 05:56 PM
I honestly feel that this class is kinda meh. Does anyone have any ideas that could make it a bit more interesting?

Sindeloke
2015-08-13, 10:12 AM
It'd be cool to physically transform into a swarm of insects yourself as a capstone (think of the utility for getting into places you're not wanted, and the intimidation factor, and the incessant buzzing!). You could also vary the swarms you get to choose a bit - swarm of wasps, swarm of slugs, swarm of cockroaches, all described quickly and easily by "as swarm of insects, except:".

AeonsShadow
2015-09-08, 09:53 PM
It'd be cool to physically transform into a swarm of insects yourself as a capstone (think of the utility for getting into places you're not wanted, and the intimidation factor, and the incessant buzzing!). You could also vary the swarms you get to choose a bit - swarm of wasps, swarm of slugs, swarm of cockroaches, all described quickly and easily by "as swarm of insects, except:".

I like the idea of tht capstone power. It has utility on top of being useful in combat.