PDA

View Full Version : Haversill III: Return of the Donkey



Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

MOD
2007-07-13, 02:41 AM
"Thanks, for the rope," Bracing himself for the difficult climb ahead J'Lant stares at his two arms, scrawny as they are, and hopes he will be strong enough to make the climb, "This might take a bit o work but I think I can do it."

J'Lant begins to climb the rope.

Huff!
"By the way, not to appear uncouth or perhaps..."
Puff!
"Asinine, but 'oo the 'ell are you people..."
Struggle! Struggle! Struggle! Struggle!
"And why in all of [Insert name of World]..."
Oooooooooooofffffffffffff
"Did you bring me 'ere!"

(OOC taking a 20 on Climb check for a 17 total. Can everyone give a description of their character's appearance?)

kariokie
2007-07-13, 12:35 PM
Getty

"We are not responsible for your sudden appearance. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what you were doing prior to this and we could construct a theory?" The rail-thin woman with wild, spiky, hair splotched with bits of color and bleach heaves on the rope.

MOD
2007-07-13, 04:46 PM
J'Lant

"Mmmmmm let me think," J'Lant says as he stands.

Left Home. Waved Goodbye. Bandits. Run. Bandits again. Run. Town. Ale. Bar Fight. Run. Farmer. Candy. Run. Pant. Think. Small Snake. Run. New Town. Baudy House. Large Madam With Mustache. Pain. Pain. Pain. Wahooooooooooooooooo. Run. Rickety Rope Bridge. Large Madam With Mustache. Knife. Run. Fall. No. No. No! NO! NO! NO! Pop. Crash. Splash. Help. Help.


"You know this and that. Choppin' down trees. Pressin' wild flowers. 'avin' buttered scones with tea. Of course. Then suddenly I was 'ere. With you blokes," says J'Lant, as he squeezes water from his pink overcoat and skyblue cloak, then his whips his long silky blonde hair back over his shoulder in a move reminiscent of Fabio. He grins and his cliche English teeth shine crookedly all around as he attempts to bring some fluff back to the ruffles at his chin and wrists.

[roll0] Bluff

Hzurr
2007-07-13, 09:01 PM
Mallain

Mallain stands on the edge, looking over into the water.

I could have died. I could have fallen in, broken my neck, and died.

He glances up at Getty, Tom, the fairy and the wet guy and shakes his head. Not worth it...

Clearing his throat, he walks up to Getty and Tom "I'm leaving. This...adventuring life just isn't worth it. No telling when you could end up dead, or have your arm cut off by a driad, or turned into a vampire. Thank you for letting me accompany you, but I think I'm going to go back into town. With any luck, I'll marry Calla and within a few months we'll move to a real city." He shakes hands with Tom and Getty, and turns to walk away.

A little ways down the hallway, he turns back. "You two," he says, motioning to J'Lant and Pleshnaril; "You've found excellent company. Keep them alive, and I assure you life will not be boring." Glancing back to Getty and Tom, he gives a smile "Also, when you see Allard again, could you do me a favor and refer to Belle as a dog? I think it frustrates him, and it kept me entertained. Also, I'm most likely going to make up some story to tell Calla about why I left, so if you hear some fantastic tail that has me as the protagonist and saving the world, try not to tell the truth til after we leave town. If Calla thought I'd simply left, she might not sleep with me again, and bedding with her is an emmensly superior adventure to some of the things we've encountered." he adds with a wink.

With that, he turns and walks away.

North
2007-07-14, 12:36 PM
Plesh

Bye singing man! Remember to watch out for evilmother in laws!

Eratosthenes
2007-07-14, 05:17 PM
Tom

Tom considers the words Mallain had given them. Yes, it was crazy, what they did: going into places that were likely better left ungone into. But what did he have waiting for him back at home?

Mallain would be going back to a girl, and possibly a career as a performer. Tom could go back to the farm, sure, possibly even take up an apprenticeship as a blacksmith. But none of that really appealed to Tom. He knew he wouldn't be happy.

And of course there was the whole bit with his powers. He hadn't really given them much thought while he was on the farm; he'd learned more these past weeks than he had the 16 years he'd been a farmboy. Some of what he'd learned scared him; some of what he'd learned had fascinated him. But he definitely needed to learn more. Too bad Marik had, well, been Marik. Maybe Plesharil would know more about the kinds of magics Tom knew, or even this newcomer.

So what was a young boy of 16 to do? So far, they'd managed to avoid anything truly dire; well, there was that plant that ate him...but in the end it turned out alright. And Getty seemed to know what she was doing, most've the time. Ok, some of the time. Maybe she was just getting lucky. But then, how else was he to learn anything, unless he struck out and went explorin'? As his uncle Pete used to say: You don't learn nuthin' with yer head in the pillows; you gotta get out there and get a'doin'.

Granted, that was to get him to go to his schoolmaster, but Tom felt it applied here, as well.

As for Mallain's departure, it was hard to feel anything; Mallain hadn't really been with them too long. Sure, he got to experience the Vampire first hand, but then Mallain was everything Tom wasn't: worldly, suave, knowledgable. Tom, deep down, wouldn't miss the bard, even if he was a delightful entertainer.

"Fare thee well, there, Mallain. We gunna be invited to the weddin'?" Tom finally smirks.

Tom, having done with the goodbyes, makes to makin' the hellos. Sizing up this newcomer, in his fanciful dress - Tom would never think of wearing something that gawdawful - he can't help but wonder if he didn't bump his head or somesuch.

"Greetin's, mister. My, that there's a right fanciful outfit you got on. I don't rightly recognize that there speech; where you hale from?"

Tom stands a couple inches shy of six feet; he's strongly built, with blonde hair and blue eyes bright as day. He's a lazy way about him, as his gaze passes over the newcomer as if he's unsure if the newcomer's gonna break out into song, or turn into a newt, or start passing out candy.

His drawl speaks of his rural upbringing; his speech is slow and deliberate. He has the rough hands of a blacksmith, and indeed wears a simple blacksmith's hammer on his belt. His clothes are almost entirely leather: a black leather doublet, leather arm braces, leather chaps...you get the picture. A wide-brimmed brown leather hat sits way back on his head.

MOD
2007-07-14, 10:51 PM
J'Lant

Ignoring Tom for the moment, " 'ello, stranger," J'Lant waves at Mallain, "Goodbye."

Flashing a devilish grin J'Lant extends his hand towards Tom then Getty. Unsure of where Plesh is J'Lant simply says, "Invisible thing if you come out and let me see you I'll offer a 'andshake to you as well. I promise I'm not an evil demon..."

Eyeing Tom with an appraising look, "Given the current," J'Lant says searching for the right word, "um unpleasantness going on I'd rather not say until I know where I'm at. Where are we?"

Eratosthenes
2007-07-15, 08:08 AM
Tom

Tom eyes the stranger, shrugging simply, "Well, right now, you're in some sort of dungeon in the middle of the woods. Y'ain't far from Cidersprings, if that gives you any inklin' of where your at."

kariokie
2007-07-15, 10:39 AM
Getty

Getty slings her crossbow on her back for the moment, reaching out and taking the stranger's hand in a shake. "Haroldine Juniper Getty, but you refer to me by my patronymic, Getty. The human woman is thin and almost as tall as Tom, though some locks of her spiky hair close that gap entirely. In her early twenties, she seems to have a frenetic energy about her. Already she seems to be having a reaction to standing still, tapping her right foot and looking up and down the hallway.

North
2007-07-15, 09:43 PM
Plesh

Pleshnaril appeared in the air before J'Lant. The wiry 2'1 pixie had ragged short blondish-red hair. And smirk on his face.

Im Pleshnaril Prystinor the Tall. Just call me Plesh. We are ..... uh.... why are we down here again?

MOD
2007-07-16, 12:16 AM
J'Lant

"Never 'eard of Cidersprings, sounds nice though," J'Lant pauses clearing his throat, "My sincerest apologies, allow me to clarify my former request, what country are we in?"

Turning towards Plesh, "Nice to meet you Pleshnaril Prystinor the Tall, I had not realized the formality of our introductions thus far, allow me to amend my lack of proper introduction."

Ok. Think. Think. What did Lotrofus say about introductions?

"...and remember you only meet someone for the first time once so make sure to make a big impression on them...oh and titles 'elp, yes don't forget titles."

Damn I've screwed this up!


Taking a striking pose J'Lant stands with his satiny blond hair flowing behind him, as if a gentle breeze was in the air. Standing at 6'2" his thin and almost frail frame seems odds with choice of clothing and a dashing grin crosses the otherwise homely face before the group.

"I am J'Lant Lentoth. Master of umm Most Things Simple, 'older of ummm the Tongue of Tasting, and Bearer of a Muffin... I mean a 'orse named Muffin."

Crap!

Eratosthenes
2007-07-16, 08:56 AM
Tom

"Country? You bump your head on that fall down the hole?"

Tom gives the tall stranger another once over, before smirking, and turning back to Getty. Somewhat quietly, he says to her, "This boy's speech gets any more flowery, we'll be able to open up an herbalist's shop. Let's get a movin' on 'fore that happens."

Tom waits for Getty to move on down the hall, this time making sure he stays well back.

North
2007-07-16, 12:26 PM
Plesh

Oooh Maybe there will be be a bigger pile of coins!

Plesh vanishes and flys forwards scouting the tunnel.

Move silently (1d20+11=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1153589)Search (1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1153598)

dauphinous
2007-07-16, 12:58 PM
Pleshnaril disappears. Just as he is getting to the edge of the light, he flies straight into something about chest high, and there is a scraping noise followed by a loud clanging noise behind you all. Whatever it was, it happened outside of the area illuminated by the sunrod.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-16, 01:14 PM
Tom

"Uh oh. I'm a'guessin' that that wasn't Mallain closin' the door on the way out."

Tom tries to peer back down the hallway, from whence the noise came, ready for the worst.

MOD
2007-07-16, 01:28 PM
J'Lant

With a chagrined look to his face, "Your summization is probably accurate.Are you damaged Pleshnaril?"


(OOC what side of the pit are we on and what does the hallway look like?)

North
2007-07-16, 01:57 PM
Plesh

owwwww muttered Plesh rubbing his head where a bump was not starting to form. I hit something.... But I cant see what it was. Plesh zooms back to the safety of the group. Its creepy here...

kariokie
2007-07-16, 02:06 PM
Getty

"Pleshnaril, I theorize your injury is caused by interacting with a tripwire which then activated a portal closing behind us. I might suggest that I take point from this period onwards, otherwise you might find yourself on the receiving end of something substantially more harmful." Getty takes point, leading the way down the hallway and looking for traps.

{Search! (1d20+9=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1153760)}

North
2007-07-16, 02:27 PM
Plesh

I didnt do it! Plesh protested drifting into place alongside Getty. It was probably some sort of smart trolls who specialize in traping caves cause they are really big jerks and are ugly.....stupid trolls.....always making trouble....
Still invisible Plesh draws his bow and nocks an arrow ready to irrigate any trolls he can find.

MOD
2007-07-16, 09:24 PM
J'Lant

"I would 'azard a guess that I'm traveling with you fine folks for the time being, lead on," says J'Lant as he starts following the group appearing completly at ease with thier current predicament.

This is going to be interesting! My first real adventure!

dauphinous
2007-07-17, 06:21 AM
Getty is able to find the tripwire that presumably caused the noise, about a foot and a half off the ground and quite difficult to see, and she can point it out so everyone else can avoid walking into it.

Another 30 feet down the passage, Getty locates a a very well disguised pressure plate that spans the width of the tunnel, and is about 2 feet wide.

kariokie
2007-07-17, 03:27 PM
Getty

There had been so many comings and goings since Getty started adventuring -- many of them rather mysterious -- that she really didn't find herself at all phased by the appearance of the stranger. Getty wanted to know what was at the end of the tunnel. Mysteriously appearing people (count: three to date, if she included Zott in the demiplane, Zott's father, and now this man who seemed to care about muffins) were to be accepted just as readily as mysteriously disappearing people (count: four and a dog to date, including Zott, his father, Kette, Allard and Belle). And neither would come between her and the end of this hall.

Getty indicates the dimensions of the plate on the ground. "Do not place any appendages in that spatial location." Stepping over the pressure plate, she continues on down the hallway, looking for more trouble.

{Search! (1d20+9=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1155314) -- a 39. Getty sees through the fourth wall!}

Eratosthenes
2007-07-17, 03:53 PM
Tom

Tom grins at Getty's warning, saying in an side to the newcomer and the sprite, "While I don't rightly reckon Plesh here has nuthin' to worry on, what she's sayin' is don't step there."

Tom continues to follow at a good distance behind, taking a leisurely big step over the indicated location.

North
2007-07-17, 05:48 PM
Plesh

But I wonder what would happen if someone did step on it.....probabaly something bad still but....Plesh thought to himself flying over the "Thing".

MOD
2007-07-17, 09:17 PM
J'Lant

Carefully stepping over where Getty indicated,"Thank you, ummmm.," sighing J'Lant continues speaking at Tom, "Alas the intimation of your cognomen 'as thus eluded our palaver."

J'Lant peers over his should looking at the pressure plate a look of longing etched on his face. Slowly he turns and continues down the hallway.

Be still J'Lant there will be plenty of fun. At least I hope so!

dauphinous
2007-07-18, 05:44 AM
Getty's all-seeing eye spots a variation in the cave wall that is nearly impossible to detect, its shape suggestive of a 4 foot roundish door. There is a small pressure plate on the floor just below it, and another one in the wall right next to it. Both are likewise well-disguised. About 5 feet past it, there is another tripwire spanning the tunnel about a foot off the ground.

Getty is fairly certain that both pressure plates are traps and the tripwire opens the door.

kariokie
2007-07-18, 01:17 PM
Getty

"Innnnnnnnteresting." Getty points out each element thoughtfully as she tries to piece together the function. "Door there. Pressure plates there and there, likely of an unpleasant design. Tripwire opens the door. Of course, if the door is opened through subterfuge, would we want to open the door ourselves?" Getty places her ear on the doorway, careful not to trigger the pressure plates, and tries to listen to what might be behind the secret method of ingress.

{Listen! (1d20+7=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1157022)}

North
2007-07-18, 02:01 PM
Plesh

So they have a trap that opens a door thats covered by more traps? Crivens! The spry pixie whispers to his companions.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-18, 02:23 PM
Tom

Tom seems to do some slow logic in his head, before shaking it. "Whomever designed this darn place, their convoluted ways make me wonder if they were some long lost relative of Miss Getty, here."

dauphinous
2007-07-18, 02:37 PM
Nothing can be heard inside the door, though the sound of water dripping can still be heard off in the distance.

kariokie
2007-07-18, 03:57 PM
Getty

"Ambulate forwards, my fine companions. While I thirst to know what lies beyond that hidden door, I feel we are best served by discovering what lies at the termination of this corridor." Getty gestures to the places the others should not step, and leads the way down the hall as she searches for more traps.

{Search! (1d20+9=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1157270)}

North
2007-07-18, 07:10 PM
Plesh

Wheres all the treasure? All we found so far is some strange guy? Maybe he has treasure in him? I heard of wolves that had swords and armor in them and stuf... hmmm Plesh mutters to himself trailing after Getty.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-18, 07:38 PM
Tom

Tom again follows leisurely follows the others, pondering their odd assortment of characters. "So, what can ya do, there, JayLant? Getty's here a mistress of, well, baking and contraptions, it seems. Plesh seems to disappear a lot. I can, well, do strange things from time to time. Are you some sort of wizard, or bard, or montebank?"

MOD
2007-07-18, 09:31 PM
J'Lant

Coughing slightly J'Lant follows the intrepid group down the corridor visibly miffed!

(Celestial) "I 'ave never encountered a creature so rude as you, blond 'eaded boy! All I want is a simple answer!" J'Lant pauses considering Tom's word, "So you want to know what I can do, eh? I'll show you what I can do!"(/Celestial)

J'Lant grins mischievously his mysterious rant ended.

dauphinous
2007-07-19, 05:55 AM
Tom feels a swift breeze blow right past his head. Then a solid thump connects with the other side of his head, leaving him slightly stunned. A third blow from nowhere knocks his head about like a solid right hook.

{Tom takes 3 points of nonlethal damage}

As this is happening, Getty's sunrod illuminates a small pile of gold coins ahead, perhaps large enough to be 50 pieces.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-19, 06:30 AM
Tom

Tom peers suspisciously at the oddly speaking stranger. "Now what strange toung-" He's interrupted by a blow to his noggin'.

As Tom gets roughed up, he exclaims loudly, "What in tarnation -- ow! Ow!"

North
2007-07-19, 11:23 AM
Plesh

OOhhhhh Lots of shinyPlesh thought

As Plesh starts drifting towards the mountain of coins. He hears Tom get attacked. OH noes its the evil trap making trolls! Crivens! Plesh hides right beside a wall in the middle of the tunnel swinging his bow in all directions trying to find the source of the attack. Remember your training! And dont panic He told himself. The cave cant catch on fire like the barn.....



HIDE! (1d20+13=14=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1158752)Move Silently! (1d20+11=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1158758)Listen! (1d20+5=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1158765) Spot! (1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1158771)

MOD
2007-07-19, 01:12 PM
J'Lant

With a smug look of satisfaction J'Lant calmly strolls up to pile of gold.

"B-E-A-utiful," J'Lant says stifiling a laugh,"Don't worry toooo much Plesh, I'm sure that whatever 'appened to that blond kid back there wasn't anything to worry about."

Eratosthenes
2007-07-19, 02:01 PM
Tom

Rubbing the back of his head, Tom scowls at the tall stranger, "Why...you..."

Taking a deep breath, he calms himself down somewhat. His pappa had had a right bad temper sometimes, and Tom had always told himself he wouldn't be like that. Right now, all he wanted was to give into it...but he checked his mood. Still, he didn't like this odd visitor what dropped in on them one bit.

"Why don't ya help yerself to that there gold, then, already, stranger. I'm sure we'll be a'findin' more."

kariokie
2007-07-19, 02:20 PM
Getty

While she didn't have all of the pieces, Getty had enough to realize that the latest stranger thought himself clever at Tom's expense. Which wouldn't do at all. She fingers a spare sunrod for a minute, but leaves it be. Instead, she slowly ambles down the hall, letting J'Lant get well ahead of her.

MOD
2007-07-19, 08:27 PM
J'Lant

Walking back to Tom J'Lant slides up to him, "Look I seem to have frayed a few nerves here. 'owever, I assure you that was not my intent. Sometimes I just get so frustrated with people I snap, and I do apologize."

Thinking quietly for a bit J'Lant ponders the problem he had caused.

"'ere," J'Lant using his telekinesis to pick up the gold, "I know this won't make up for 'urt feelings and 'eads but you can 'ave my share." With that J'Lant parcels out the gold telekinetically.

(24 gold for Tom, 12 for Getty, 12 for Plesh and 2 for the pot.)

dauphinous
2007-07-19, 08:34 PM
As soon as some of the gold leaves the ground, there is a *click* noise. Then a loud thump, followed by a sort of crunching, grating noise. It comes from back in the direction of the pit with the water in it.

The pit is no longer in your light radius, being probably about 150 feet back at this point.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-19, 08:39 PM
Tom

"Oh hell..."

Tom flattens himself against the wall, peering back towards where the sound came from. "I think you done enough, mister. What you reckon it is, Getty?"

kariokie
2007-07-20, 10:51 AM
Getty

Getty shrugs. It had probably been unwise to let the new gentleman with the strange accent plunge ahead -- but the only way she'd gotten it through Allard's head that she should go first was to let him get smacked in the chest with a trap. Same with Pleshnaril. Unfortunately, in this instance it seemed as if they were all injured by the newcomer's hastiness.

"I do not possess a theory as to what has occurred, however it does represent an important lesson: in the future, J'Lant, I would resist any urge to stroll ahead of me." She waves off the gold. "Hold on to it until we have completed our sojourn into this nefarious cavernous environment."

North
2007-07-20, 11:10 AM
Plesh

Umm what are we going to do about that big click, thump, crunching, grating noise? It could be a legion of trolls or a dragon!? Plesh exclaims feeling very claustrophobic under the rock.

dauphinous
2007-07-20, 12:13 PM
The noise turns to a slow, continuous rumbling sound that seems to be approaching.

MOD
2007-07-20, 12:58 PM
J'Lant

"Well I guess since it is sounds slow moving it couldn't 'urt to go check out what it is. It is probably not alive and aware of our movements."

Eratosthenes
2007-07-20, 01:12 PM
Tom

Tom glances quickly to Getty, before sliding down the wall away from the noise.

North
2007-07-20, 02:56 PM
Plesh

Plesh gets ready to bolt. Tensing his body for another sprinting flight. If there is danger a comin he will bolt forward following Getty.

kariokie
2007-07-20, 02:57 PM
Getty

Striking a second sunrod, Getty hurls it as far as she can up the hallway so they can see what's coming without approaching it.

dauphinous
2007-07-20, 03:09 PM
The sunrod sails through the air, going end over end. As it hits the ground, the source of the rumbling seems pretty clear. A large round object that just fits inside the passage is rolling down the tunnel. There is only a minute amount of space in the corners as it rolls, possibly enough to lie flat and not be squished if you were lucky.

If it continues at its current speed, it will be upon your location in less than half a minute. If.

North
2007-07-20, 03:18 PM
Plesh

Plesh zooms forwards breaking the trail. Flying just below the height of the cavern top Plesh zigs and zags calling out any possible dangers he notices to the others while staying within the radius of light. No blundering in the darkness this time. If the object of doom gets too close he'll try and squish his tiny body into a corner to avoid the smooshing.


Search! (1d20+5=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1161513)

MOD
2007-07-20, 08:29 PM
J'Lant

"Wait, before we go crazy here what about that door you noticed earlier Getty, can't we trip the wire and go down that passageway?"

J'Lant will grab the Sunrod that was thrown telekinetically and position himself on the wall waiting for a reply.

kariokie
2007-07-21, 04:12 PM
Getty

"What makes you conjecture that the results of tripping that wire will be any more pleasant than our current predicament?" Getty glances up the hallway, then starts heading down the hall, as quickly as she can while still searching for traps. Over her shoulder, she adds, "If you wish to trip it, use your-" she waves her hand at whatever is allowing J'Lant to float the sun rod around. "Trip the wire with the sun rod, see what happens. That way we have two avenues to explore. Tom, anything you can summon to wedge that stone in place would also be helpful."

{Search! (1d20+9=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1163409)}

MOD
2007-07-21, 04:38 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant uses the floating sunrod to trip the tripwire and to see what is in the passageway if it opens.

"Regardless of if the passageway is passable we are going to 'ave to be extra careful of all the traps as I believe the large rolling thing will trigger them all on its way to crush us."

dauphinous
2007-07-21, 04:54 PM
Before J'Lant gets close enough to affect the sunrod, the huge rolling ball crunches over it, then it passes the door and rolls right over the tripwire. There is no visible effect. The ball seems to be picking up speed as it goes.

Getty sees nothing special as she walks, but the rumbling is getting closer. Pleshnaril also sees nothing but rock.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-21, 10:23 PM
Tom

Tom nods to Getty, "Awright, ma'am, I'll see what I can do."

Tom moves forward a short ways, crouching down to touch the floor. Staring hard, he forces his will on the world. His vision goes double - overlaying the hallway is a view where the floor has a sloped "bump" in the stone, decreasing its size enough to hopefully jam the rolling ball. As he concentrates, the overlay becomes more and more real, until the "real" view ceases to exist.

Tom admires his handiwork briefly, before scooting farther away, in case it doesn't work.

{
Cause little ramped 'bumps' to appear on the floor (and ceiling, if possible)
Change Seed: Increase Size DC 7: 1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1735)
7/9 SP
}

North
2007-07-22, 01:44 AM
I love Miko
Plesh

Plesh continued his desperate sprint forwards. Still flying shortly about roof height and staying in range of the light.

Search! (1d20+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1164304)

MOD
2007-07-22, 11:43 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant follows the group away from the ball of death approaching.

dauphinous
2007-07-23, 05:59 AM
The ball thumps into Tom's improvised speed bumps and stops moving forward, rolling a little back and forth against them as its momentum plays out.

kariokie
2007-07-23, 05:30 PM
Getty

Getty turns around as she hears the boulder halt its forward progress. Striding back up the hallway, she slaps Tom on the back. "Excellent construction of an obstruction, young Tom!" She looks down the hallway, where she was headed. "We only have one available option for forward progress, it appears. Fortunately it is the direction we desired!" The woman heads back down the sloping passageway, an eye out for danger still.

{Search! (1d20+9=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1167933) WOO! -1!}

dauphinous
2007-07-23, 06:11 PM
Just a little farther, then the sunrod illuminates a dead end. There are roughly 120 feet between the ball blocking the way and the end of the passage.

North
2007-07-23, 07:26 PM
Plesh

Pleshnaril calmly and collectly starts searching up and down the tunnel. Finding nothing but dead ends. Pleshnaril calmly and collectly starts having a panic attack.
No cant go this way lets try this way. No how about here. No. What about here. No? How about there? No? Cant go that way what about that way?No Why didnt I pack more jam. Not enough jam. BUt were in a jam. HAHAHAHAHA What about his way??? NO? Maybe thats just an imaginary wall? Oh wheres my hat gone?
To anyone looking upon the tunnel they see a spritely Fey blinking in and out of existance all over the tunnel. Well his tinny manic voice carries all over and around the humans in the tunnel.

Search! (1d20+5=6) Ouch a Neg Five. Search roles dont like me :( (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1168002)

Eratosthenes
2007-07-23, 08:04 PM
Tom

"I think Plesh here's going nuttier than squirrel poo. We ain't got no worry...I'm sure we can j'us push it on back down the hall, no?"

MOD
2007-07-23, 09:14 PM
J'Lant

"My my that was astonishing," says J'Lant as he bends down to examine the speed bumps, " 'ow did you do that?"

"Pleshnaril, please, calm yourself I'm sure we can find a way out of this situation. Perhaps if we all gave this area a once over we could find a way out..."

Search [roll0]

kariokie
2007-07-24, 03:34 AM
Getty

"Pleshnaril, please. We are hardly entrapped."

Getty tilts her head to the side, trying to hear if there is any sound of running water. Then she searches the end of the tunnel for a secret door.

{Listen! (1d20+7=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1168787)
Search! (1d20+9=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1168788) }

dauphinous
2007-07-24, 05:51 AM
Now that you aren't running madly and the sound isn't covered by a giant rolling ball, the sound of water dripping can be heard echoing quietly at the end of the passage. There obviously isn't any water here, though, nor are there any watermarks or similar signs suggestive of recent or frequent water here.

kariokie
2007-07-24, 06:23 AM
Getty

After carefully searching the end of the hallway, Getty points to an area on the ground. "Trapdoor." Taking her sword, she jabs at the spot on the ground, trying to open it. Well aware of exactly how humorous fate finds gravity, she is careful not to stand atop the trapdoor as she attempts to open it.

dauphinous
2007-07-24, 07:02 AM
With a little effort and experimentation, Getty is able to locate the whole of the seam around the door, but there is not enough space to stick her sword into it. Whatever sort of material it is made of, it looks like the rest of the floor of the passage, and does not yield to her sword prods.

kariokie
2007-07-24, 03:06 PM
Getty

Getty carefully traces the outline of the trapdoor with her sword so the others can see its dimensions as she does. "Either it's triggered by weight, or something else." Getty first searches the surrounding area for a trigger, then, if she fails, she sits at the edge of the trap door and slams one foot into it as hard as she can. "Ideas, people?"

{Search! (1d20+9=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1169531)}

Eratosthenes
2007-07-24, 03:35 PM
Tom

At J'lant's surprise, Tom merely shrugs. "Jus'sumthin' I do." A somewhat wicked grin adorns his face, glad to have surprised the cocky newcomer.

Looking at Getty's attempts to locate the escape hatch, Tom can only offer, "I can try to magick it off, if ya want." Tom peers about, not really sure what he's looking for, as everyone else searches.

{
Search: [roll0]
}

North
2007-07-24, 04:37 PM
No still cant find anything...


With this new obstacle found Plesh has calmed somewhat.

Search (1d20+5=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1169676)

dauphinous
2007-07-24, 05:43 PM
The circle is 3 feet in diameter, and a careful search of the area reveals no switches, levers, pressure plates, buttons, handles, knobs, or anything else out of place.

After a good half minute spent searching by all, the circular trapdoor begins to turn slowly, clockwise.

MOD
2007-07-24, 09:06 PM
J'Lant

"Did anyone..., Because I certainly didn't," J'Lant says pointing at the door.

As the door spins J'Lant pulls out his shield that had been hidden beneath his cloak and prepares for the worst.

(J'Lant will ready a telekinetic bullrush action that if anything comes out of the door it will be bull rushed back...)

Eratosthenes
2007-07-24, 09:18 PM
Tom

"Er..." is all Tom says, before backing away from the now spinning trap door.

North
2007-07-24, 10:32 PM
I hate trolls why did you evil evil trolls have to make this evil crazy cave

Plesh flies to a spot beside off to the side of J'Lant and draws his bow.

kariokie
2007-07-25, 03:31 AM
Getty

Getty stands and carefully takes a few steps back from the door as she draws her loaded crossbow. "Don't attack unless it's hostile."

dauphinous
2007-07-25, 06:22 AM
The door takes one full turn, then sinks into the floor and out of sight. There is a voice from the hole that says something in a language very much like elvish, and yet quite different. The tone of the statement suggests a question.

Aside from the voice, the sound of water dripping is more pronounced as soon as the door is opened, as if it is close at hand. As soon as the voice speaks, there is a soft *thpt* sound repeated several times with perhaps a second or two between each that retreats downwards, away from you all.

North
2007-07-25, 01:46 PM
Plesh

Plesh reappears briefly and makes the motion that he will look down the hole before vanishing again. Plesh then sneaks over to the hole and creeps his way for ward peering into the hole.
No trolls no trolls no trolls no trolls no trolls....

Sneak! (1d20+11=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1171694)Spot! (1d20+5=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1171700)Listen! (1d20+5=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1171705)

dauphinous
2007-07-25, 01:58 PM
The top two inches of the hole has an inch thick and two inch deep groove all the way around, and the rest seems to be a perfectly smooth circle carved out of some kind of rock. About half a foot down, it is completely dark. The green glow from the sunrod does not extend this far, even when placed near it.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-25, 04:25 PM
Tom

Tom inches towards the hole, and tentatively peers down into its inky black depths. It was a darkness darker than he'd ever seen.

"I don't think that there's any normal sort of darkness. You reckon it's a trap?" he says, mostly to Getty but to everyone, really.

MOD
2007-07-25, 05:07 PM
J'Lant

"Did anyone understand those words?"

J'Lant pauses for a moment and starts pacing near the trapdoor considering thier options.

"Well, we could just 'op on in and 'ope there is nothing down there that could 'urt us, or perhaps we could lower that silken rope of yours Getty, on the other 'and we could try to move the boulder blocking our way back and try the other 'idden door."

North
2007-07-26, 12:56 PM
Plesh

Backing away from the hole Plesh calls out

"Hey down there your not a troll are you?"

kariokie
2007-07-26, 03:29 PM
Getty

"If it is a trap, it certainly is an intriguing one." Getty peers at the hatch. "Tom, darkness like that is magical? I cannot think of any alchemical product that negates light, only that obscures it."

Eratosthenes
2007-07-26, 03:32 PM
Tom

Tom perks up at Getty's reminder: "Oh yea, like I done did when we ran across those gnolls and that ornery dwarf? I think I made it dark then, too. I reckon I could try gettin' rid of it. Or we could jes lower someone down there to take a look-see."

Tom's eyes surreptitiously move over to Plesh.

kariokie
2007-07-26, 03:42 PM
Getty

Getty's eyes also sidle along to where the pixie's voice calls out from. A thoughtful look crosses her face, quickly dismissed with a shake of her head. Then her brown eyes slide back to Tom. "A magical solution may be more appropriate."

Eratosthenes
2007-07-26, 03:55 PM
Tom

Tom blinks, "Oh. Oh right..."

Tom peers down into the darkness. He tries to imagine the hole filling with light, it getting brighter, and brighter. He finds it hard - the magical darkness resists the change. He tries a different tactic: Tom concentrates on creating a small ball of magical light. He then forces the light to enter the darkness. He feels the darkness trying to extinguish his created light, and he pours his concentration into it, trying to beat back the darkness. The darkness is strong, however...very strong...

{
Create Light DC 5: 1D20+3 = [7]+3 = 10 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1806)
Caster Level Check to defeat Darkness: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1807)
I'm going to assume that pretty much sucks. :D What happens if I pull the light out, then try to enter the darkness again? Another check, or 1 check per light/darkness?
}

North
2007-07-26, 04:16 PM
Plesh

Hmmm

From out of nowhere the others see a flash of gold as a gold piece drops into the hole. Plesh counts the seconds and waits to how long it takes before hearing the sound of the coin hitting the floor of the cave.

dauphinous
2007-07-26, 05:59 PM
Pleshnaril counts to ten, then twenty, then thirty... Those listening do not hear the coin hit anything.

{One try per cast, Eratosthenes. :smalltongue: }

North
2007-07-26, 07:14 PM
Plesh

What in the wide world of pinecones is going on down there?

Panic attack completely forgotten now. Pleshnaril has completely fixated on the mystery of the hole in the ground.

MOD
2007-07-26, 09:02 PM
J'Lant

"Oh so you do magic...," a look of surprise crosses J'Lant's face,"AH HA!!!!!!"

Pointing at Tom, "Now I know your cognomen young ruffian, you so cleverly tried to 'ide it from me, very clever of you... but our compatriot Getty has let it slip. My thanks go to you my dear madam Getty." J'Lant gives a little bow to Getty.

"Now Tom, since you do know how to perform magic, would it be presumptuous to presume that you can make this darkness, if it indeed is magical, dissipate?"


(In other words you could try dispelling.)

Eratosthenes
2007-07-26, 09:18 PM
Tom

"Huh? You mean, like, just make it go away? You can do that with magic? Fascina...er, I could done try that, I reckon."

Again, Tom peers down the hole. He again focuses, trying to sense the magic, and tear it asunder. He successfully feels his own magic reach out, and he tries to envision the reality of the darkness - the magic - torn apart.

{
DC 12 Dispel Permanently, +1 CL: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1846)
Caster Level Check: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1847)
}

dauphinous
2007-07-27, 06:17 AM
The darkness falls away and the light from the sunrod spills downward. It descends about 30 feet, and there is a ladder made of some kind of dark material, probably metal that spans the full height. The ladder begins about a foot down into the hole, where it is attached to the side. Maybe half a foot beyond that, the sides of the hole end, and it is just open space.

The ground glistens, like wet rock. It almost seems that the darkness was holding more than just visibility at bay, as a light smell of earthy dampness is now recognizable.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-27, 12:13 PM
Tom

"Well golly, it worked. I guess we're gonna be doin' some climbin'." Tom puts his hands on his hips, and admires his handiwork as he peers down the hole. He sends the magical light he'd created down the hole as well, for good measure.

{
5/9 SP remaining
}

kariokie
2007-07-27, 12:21 PM
Getty

"Excellent work, young Tom!" Getty slings her crossbow and puts her sun rod in her teeth before starting to climb down. That was the obvious next step, of course -- you find a hatch, light the way, and then you go see what's at the bottom. "If we happen across the individual with the incomprehensible lexicon again, can you act as a facilitator for our verbal communications via magic?" At least, that's what Getty feels she says, however with the sun rod between her teeth it comes out more as, "Miff ve haffen cross he induhvidaln wif de incofrehesable leffican ahain, han yew actas a hacilitator for our herbal hamunicaton fia mahkik?"

North
2007-07-27, 01:52 PM
Plesh

With the rest of the group descending into the pit of doom. Plesh will cover them with his bow. If any evil trolls attack his friends they will fell the sting of his arrows! Even if all of his friends do talk weird.

MOD
2007-07-27, 02:52 PM
J'Lant

"Getty, you know 'ow this entire 'allway has been trapped could it all be possible that this umm narrow ladder filled tube is also trapped?"

As Getty climbs down the ladder J'Lant lifts the Sunrod from Getty's teeth and floats it above her head as she climbs down.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-27, 03:30 PM
Tom

Tom prepares to climb after the ineffable Getty, saying only, "Yea, sure, whatever you said there, Getty." He hoped he didn't just agree to help her in some sort of alchemical experiment. He valued his eyebrows.

dauphinous
2007-07-29, 08:24 AM
Getty reaches the bottom of the ladder without incident, but does find that the ground is as advertised: wet rock and a little slippery. It appears to be a natural cavern, completely irregular in shape and without any flat surfaces. The distance from ceiling to floor ranges from 10-30 feet or so, and this particular 'room' is roughly 40 by 60 feet, though many parts are shorter or narrower, with the ladder in roughly the center. Fingers of rock form stalactites and stalagmites here and there, some even meeting to form columns.

There are three small pools of what appears to be water in the room, and water drips down from several stalactites. A few of the drips splash into the pools, and a few impact with the rocks below them. Although you cannot directly see another way out of this room, one may be obscured from view by the contours of the wall or rock formations.

kariokie
2007-07-29, 02:53 PM
Getty

"A cavernous conundrum!" She snatches her sun rod back from where it's floating, then turns in a slow circle, taking in the room. After tilting her head to see if she can hear any sign of the mysterious individual who appears who reside here, Getty calls out, "Hello?" while scanning the shadows at the edges of the sun rod's light.

{Listen! Spot! (1d20+7=25, 1d20+7=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1179960)}

North
2007-07-30, 01:33 AM
Plesh

Plesh continues his vigil at the top of the hole. Ever alert to danger. Like a hawk to a mouse or a wolf to something small,cute and furry.

Waiting and watching for weird or worrisome wh- Im hungry... oooh shiny... wait what am I doing again? Trolls? Right on on the lookout for evil trolls. Terribly tawdry trolls who trick travelers with terroising traps or would that be terrorize travelers with tricksy traps....Ill have to ask Getty. She should know. She knows lots of big words. Whats a tawdry anyways I think its a type of bird with pinky plumage but that doesnt make any sense.....

MOD
2007-07-30, 04:41 AM
J'Lant

As Plesh waxes poetic J'Lant climbs down the hole, "I would 'azard a guess that this passage is clear of traps, Miss Getty does appear un'armed."

Ohhh its is sooooo much easier to climb down phewwwww

Arriving at the bottom "Agreed, this is cavernous," J'Lant remarks to Getty, "Ohh water thank goodness I have indeed been parched on our little escapade, though on retrospect I could have partaken on my arrival."

As J'Lant floats some water from the closest puddle he stays alert to the dangers the cave presents.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

dauphinous
2007-07-30, 06:17 AM
Aside from the constant dripping of water, the soft *thpt* sound of your boots climbing down the ladder, and the various other sounds you each make yourselves, there is nothing to hear. Nothing else seems to be down here with you.

North
2007-07-30, 03:50 PM
Plesh

Umm Did you find anything yet? Plesh called down to the group below him.

MOD
2007-07-30, 08:56 PM
J'Lant

"No, sorry Plesh, I 'avn't seen anything yet. Are you two coming down?"

Search [roll0]

Eratosthenes
2007-07-30, 10:10 PM
Tom

Having climbed down after Getty, Tom takes in the wet cavern. "We done definitely heard somethin' in these here hollows, right?" Tom begins poking around the caverns, exploring the nooks and crannies carefully.

{
Search, Take 20
}

kariokie
2007-07-31, 04:36 AM
Getty

"Indubitably, Tom." Getty also begins to search the cavern, looking for anything of note. She carries her sun rod in her off hand and her loaded crossbow in the other. "This is a remarkably similar environ to the cave I located via gravitational imperative under my own domicile. Minus the underground tributary, of course."

dauphinous
2007-07-31, 06:46 AM
Between Tom and Getty, four different ways out of the cavern are located. One runs sloped downward at about a 30 degree angle, and has an inch-wide stream running down a channel in the center of it. The other three each lead in different directions, but seem level. One of the level passages has a light, cool but dry feeling breeze coming out of it that carries a hint of sulfur. The downward passage smells like wet earth with a light metallic taste to it. The other two seem to be about the same at the cavern.

Eratosthenes
2007-07-31, 07:09 AM
Tom

"There's a tunnel over here!" Tom calls out, right about when Getty's noting her own finds. Looking around the cavern, he makes a "hmph" noise. "Now which way you reckon we ought to go?"

kariokie
2007-07-31, 11:26 AM
Getty

"Pleshnaril, transit yourself down to our location at your earliest convenience."

Getty then takes in the four passageways. Right now she had little evidence as to which was a better choice, so it was based purely on curiosity and happenstance. The two passages that were like the cavern were automatically out -- they were normal, and therefore boring. Or at least less interesting.

So, she was faced with the level, dry passage that smelled of sulfur or a damp passage smelling a bit of metal that led downwards with a little stream in it. The choice was obvious. As the downwards passage required more words to describe it, it was likely more interesting.

"This way. Chop chop, let's get a move on." Getty begins to lead the way down the passage, still keeping a careful eye out for traps.

{Search! (1d20+9=28) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1184156)}

North
2007-07-31, 11:37 AM
Plesh

Plesh flys down and falls into position behind Getty.

dauphinous
2007-07-31, 11:47 AM
Getty starts creeping down the tunnel with the stream. She is about 20 feet in when a deep male voice calls out, carrying a tone of command, spiced with the undertone of a threat. "Ilkalik! Kaas dosstan! Usstan orn elgg dos jal ka dos xunaut." The tunnel looks like it turns to the left in about 30 more feet, and the voice is coming from that direction.

North
2007-07-31, 11:55 AM
Plesh

Right. So Plesh you go first and risk your squishy body then come back. Plesh whispers almost imperceptibly. Plesh sneaks forwards quiet as a silence spell. Invisible as air. Inching towards the bend in the tunnel he pops his head beyond the bend.


MoveSilently! (1d20+11=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1184275) Spot (1d20+5=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1184280)Listen (1d20+5=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1184283)

MOD
2007-07-31, 02:13 PM
J'Lant

Trudging along after the group.

"Tom, did you catch that one?"

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]







(Is this the same voice we heard earlier?)

Eratosthenes
2007-07-31, 03:40 PM
Tom

Tom blinks. "Uh, no...hold on."

Tom tries to imagine himself hearing the sound, or at least understanding whatever language it is, calling out to the echoing cavern.

[roll0]

North
2007-08-02, 03:35 PM
Plesh

Sneaking back to the rest of the group Plesh reports back to the group in a whisper.

I couldnt see anyone.So I think the trolls must be invisible. Or ghosts? Oh no ghost trolls!

dauphinous
2007-08-02, 06:51 PM
With bit of impatience to it, the voice calls out again, using many of what sound like the same words, but other words, as well. Tom understands it this time, though.

Tom:"If you do not identify yourself, I will kill you. There will be no other warning."

Eratosthenes
2007-08-02, 08:10 PM
Tom

Tom nonchalantly begins repeating what the voice has said, but stops suddenly midway: "He's just a'sayin' that if we don't identify ourselves, he'll...er..."

Tom quickly replies, in the same language: "We're just traveler's lookin' for a way out! We're stuck behind this big ol'rock up the hole..."

{
If needed, Bluff the disembodied voice: 1D20+9 = [10]+9 = 19 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1907)
4/9 SP left
}

dauphinous
2007-08-02, 08:19 PM
When the voice speaks this time, it sounds immediately less hostile, but still quite wary.

Tom:"Travelers? Why didn't you come down one of the main roads? What House are you part of?"

North
2007-08-02, 08:24 PM
Plesh

Plesh trys to figure out where the direction of the voice is coming from. Hes quite curious about what happens if they dont identify themselves.

Listen! (1d20+5=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1189424)

Eratosthenes
2007-08-02, 08:34 PM
Tom

"Well shucks. Now he's talking about some sort of house. And...roads?"

Speaking back to the voice, Tom replies, "Well, ya see, it's a funny story. We're...well, we're lost. D'ya think you could come show us the way?"

MOD
2007-08-02, 09:10 PM
J'Lant

As Tom and the yet unidentified creature converse J'Lant leans over and whispers in Tom's ear,"Can you ask it to come out into the light? Also, can you ask it what it likes for dinner?"

As J'Lant glances at Tom and Getty he is reminded of another of Lotrofus's lessons.

You only have to be faster than the slowest one...

dauphinous
2007-08-03, 06:42 AM
The voice replies again, still sounding suspicious.

Tom:"Do you think me an idiot? You triggered the traps, which means you didn't know about them, yet you know the tongue of my mother. If you are simply lost travelers as you say, then where did you learn to speak Drow?"

Eratosthenes
2007-08-03, 07:08 AM
Tom

Tom pauses before responding to the voice. "Anyone know what a 'Drow' is?"

North
2007-08-03, 01:38 PM
Plesh

Drow? Isn't that a flavor of ice cream or something?Pleshs whispers to himself, still trying to figure out where the voice from the ghost/troll/drow? is coming from.


Listen? (1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1190949)

MOD
2007-08-03, 03:45 PM
J'Lant

"Tom, I know you sometimes speak oddly, but this is ridiculus. There is no way that a drawing is talking to us. You 'ave to be mistaken."

J'Lant again trys to determine where the voice is coming from.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

kariokie
2007-08-04, 06:14 AM
Getty

Taking her sun rod, she lightly thwaps J'Lant and Tom on the back of the head, though she's at a loss as to where Pleshnaril is and so just waves the stick in the direction of his voice. "Drow are subterranean elves known for their malice. And, now, their ineffective trap construction."

{Knowledge: Stuff! (1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1192205)}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-04, 07:03 AM
Tom

Ducking involuntarily, Tom exclaims, "Ow!" as Getty thwaps him on the head. "Elves, eh? Well, elves aren't so bad, right?"

Speaking again, to the voice, Tom says, "Well, we didn't actually trigger the traps ourselves. There was a bit of a...cave-in. Now, how do we know you're really a Drow, and not another trap, or ambush?"

{
Bluff: [roll0]
}

dauphinous
2007-08-04, 07:47 AM
There is a pause after Tom finishes speaking. The voice says only one word, and it sounds exasperated and annoyed. ("Fine.") After a few moments, during which both J'lant and Plenshnaril can hear a few very soft footfalls, a figure steps around the corner ahead and into view. He is maybe 4 feet tall, and has black skin and pointy ears. His short hair looks greenish in the light, but is probably actually white or grey. He is wearing dull black leather armor with dark purple trim and black leather boots. The hilt of a sword, also black and non-reflective, sticks up over each shoulder, and he holds a crossbow in his left hand, loaded and aimed generally in your direction.

As soon as he sees all of you, his red eyes narrow, probably in suspicion, or maybe in anger. What he says certainly sounds suggestive of suspicion and anger. The first word is spit out like an expletive.
Tom:"Surface dwellers. What do you want here?"

North
2007-08-04, 12:04 PM
Plesh

Plesh sneaks behind the funny looking Elf. How does he get a tan like that down here? Plesh wonders to himself. He moves a fair bit behind the stranger and prepares to ambush him from behind should he prove hostile.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-04, 08:21 PM
Tom

As the strange elf spits out his expletive, Tom makes an aside to Getty: "I think he done just showed us his malice. I don't think he likes us much."

Turning quickly back to the dark elf, Tom just, well, shrugs. "Nothing. Just explorin'. This your place? I don't s'pose you speak Common?"

MOD
2007-08-04, 08:59 PM
J'Lant

Ow!

J'Lant gives Getty a look, not a look of murder or of evil intent, but one of why.

Whispering again in Tom's ear,"Please, tell me it said it was a vegitarian," then speaking to Getty,"Drow are vegitarians right?"

A look of concern crosses his face.

J'Lant will ready a super secret telekinetic trip attack on the drow if he starts attacking.

kariokie
2007-08-05, 02:45 AM
Getty

Getty, her crossbow still at the ready, takes in the drow with a look of fascination. Faaaaascinating. Now I've seen a drow! And he's short! Momentarily proud that she's accomplished something truly noteworthy, the thin woman allows herself a good up-and-down look over the drow.

"If you can accomplish placing it in the confines of conversation with a minimum of effort, could you inquire why he is so diminutive, young Tom?" She did not think Tom would actually ask the question, however she felt she would be remiss if she did not at least request it.

MOD
2007-08-05, 04:38 AM
J'Lant

As J'Lant stands with his look of concern another thought crosses his mind.

Getty did say they were Elves, I wonder...

You are a most interesting creature, per'aps you understand this and can give us your name?

dauphinous
2007-08-05, 06:24 AM
The dark elf sneers a little and speaks with a cold and unfriendly tone.

Tom:"No," he says coldly, "I do not speak your Common. If 'exploring' is all your intent, though, then carry on. We will let you pass."
Then he gives J'Lant his own private, personal glare.
"Were you not an ignorant bratling, I would strike you down for daring to speak that tongue here." His elven is accented and a little stilted. But he lowers the crossbow and stands aside, watching you all carefully and with mistrust painted clearly on his face.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-05, 06:57 AM
Tom

"He says he'll let us pass, but I don't know. We want him at our backs?" Without waiting for an answer, Tom speaks again to the stranger, "Ya know, you could come with us. Show us around. What's down here, anyhow? Anything worth seein'?"

dauphinous
2007-08-05, 10:54 AM
He glares at Tom as he speaks, though he says little.
Tom:"I am not a tour guide."
When he is finished speaking he turns to look down the tunnel and nods his head in a gesture suggestive of direction - specifically back in the direction you came from. Then he begins walking past all of you. Three more dark elf men, all similar in appearance, dress, and equipment to the first, seem (from Pleshnaril's perspective, anyway) to detach themselves from the shadows just past the corner in the tunnel and follow the first one up. Each of them seems utterly uninterested in all of you.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-05, 01:03 PM
Tom

Tom says, to no one in particular, "I'm beginning to think dwarves and elves have got a lot in common; they're both right darn gits. 'least those centaurs didn't seem too bad."

North
2007-08-05, 02:25 PM
Plesh

Theres two things Im wondering Plesh said to the group as quiet as possible still paranoid of the drow who past by. Why cant Elven be spoken? And where are they going...... And in his head Plesh wondered to himself How can a race of creatures be so close and I not know that they even existed.

kariokie
2007-08-05, 02:58 PM
Getty

She watches the dark elves go past with rapt interest. "It appears they intend us no dismemberment or other variety of harm. Shall we continue our exploration?"

North
2007-08-05, 07:13 PM
Plesh

Onwards! I still havent found any really awesome treasure or magic stuff yet

MOD
2007-08-05, 08:49 PM
J'Lant

"Plesh, Elven can be spoken, in fact, they spoke Elven to me and I to them. 'owever, more to the point let us journey onward and perhaps we can test ourselves against the darkness that lays ahead." With that J'Lant takes a dramatic pose and points into the darkness.

"Did anyone bring any food?"

I wonder how Muffin is doing?

kariokie
2007-08-06, 02:53 AM
Getty

Getty begins leading the way once again, continuing down the hallway. "As I am also conversant in Elven, and also not a complete idiot, I would suggest that we could deduce from their tone that whether or not they comprehend Elven, we should not speak Elven."

dauphinous
2007-08-06, 09:09 AM
Just past the corner, the tunnel becomes more regular in shape and size, though the small stream still runs through a channel in the center of the floor. It continues to slope downwards, but the angle is much slighter. It is not long before you come to a place where you much make a choice over which way to go. This tunnel splits into three.

The one that goes straight ahead carries the stream and continues the slow descent.

The the left branch looks much the same, but has a slight upward angle to it.

The right branch is about level. The sunrod's light reveals some characters carved into the wall and inlaid with some sort of stone or powder that glitters in the light. The writing is similar to Elven in some respects, but obviously must be different from that tongue, as it seems like it says "Tinninn Kitish Prelet 2 siles". There is a flowing, graceful arrow pointing down this tunnel just under the script.

{the duration of Tom's spell has expired by now}

North
2007-08-06, 06:49 PM
There's only one scientific method to find out! Plesh exclaims appearing visibile. For once. Pointing at each of the tunnels in turn. First the downwards tunnel. Then the the left branch with the slight upwardness. Finally then the right branch with the glyphs. Setting his face in a mask of determination. Eenie. Meenie, Miney, Moe. Catch a dire bear by the toe. If he wins initiative let him go. Eenie. Meenie. Miney. Moe. Plesh ends his Fae ProvenTM method of determing the best choice pointing down the downwards tunneltunnel. I dont knoe if its the best choice, but Oscards theory of phonetic random choice has never let me down before. After the string of large words Plesh sits down to rest while waiting for the others to decide.

kariokie
2007-08-07, 02:50 AM
Getty

She looks on doubtfully as Pleshnaril goes through his "method."

"While it is methodical, after a fashion, it hardly smacks of scientific rigor or theory, Pleshnaril. Who is this Oscard and what are his academic qualifications?" Getty looks at the hallway with arrow and the writing on it. "If we wished to encounter more of the 'drow' that would seem to indicate the direction we should proceed in. Of course, the question is if we desire to."

North
2007-08-07, 11:47 AM
Plesh

Oh Oscard was a really famous pixie. Sort of an ancient hero. His theory was that the fate hates people who try and go against the groove so just go with it. With his method he managed to single handedly defeat several dragons and a ogre army and he had nineteen wives who didnt know about the other ones! Plesh told Getty solemnly. But he sort of dissapeared after number twenty.... No one knows for sure what happened to him.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-07, 11:58 AM
Tom

Tom thinks a bit, then responds in his slow drawl, "I reckon it don't make no nevermind which way we inevitably pick. We ain't been down any of'em, so's one's as good as the next. Let's just go on'n with the butterfly's pick, then."

Tom extends a hand, indicating that whichever way they chose, he ain't going first.

North
2007-08-07, 01:14 PM
Plesh

Butterfly down here? Where? Plesh starts looking around for this subterannean insect.

Knowledge:Burn? (1d20=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1197178)

MOD
2007-08-07, 01:46 PM
J'Lant

"Let us travel then," J'Lant says with a grin. Picking up some lose rocks, he chucks one down each of the corridors.

kariokie
2007-08-07, 03:19 PM
Getty

Getty leads the way down the hallway Pleshanril indicated. While she doubted the drow lived there -- which was a shame, they were terribly interesting -- this passage was likely to be excessively interesting as well.

{Search! (1d20+9=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1197387)}

dauphinous
2007-08-08, 12:40 PM
Moving slowly and carefully down the tunnel, it is about 10 minutes of walking before the stream is noticeably wider. There is a much damper smell down this way, and just a minute later, the sound of lapping water as the surface of a pool is revealed. The tunnel descends directly into the water, which ripples gently with the inflow from the small stream. The water itself seems clear, and you can tell that the tunnel continues on, still going deeper into the earth, but filled with water.

MOD
2007-08-08, 02:19 PM
J'Lant
"Who knew that water came from underground. Most interesting."

While they continue strolling along J'Lant begins to peform a trick.

Taking small amount of water from the stream he floats it as high as it will go before releasing it. Then taking an another portion of water he floats that one as high as it will go releasing it and the same with a third portion of water. Catching each one individually as it falls and then raising it high again to repeat the process.

Until it appears that he is juggling 3 globes of water mid air.

North
2007-08-08, 06:28 PM
Plesh

Hmmm Since you can control the water like that. Can you see if there is treasure under there? Plesh asked J'Lant. What other reason would water be there for except to hide treasure.

MOD
2007-08-08, 09:03 PM
J'Lant

"I can certainly give it a try." Dropping his juggling water into the surface of the pool. J'Lant wills his ability to search the water going as deep as he can.

Telekinetic Underwater Search. Taking 20.

dauphinous
2007-08-09, 06:59 AM
The water ripples a bit as the force of J'Lant's mind delves through it, but he is unable to see anything aside from moving water and rock.

{TK requires LOS, so you have to see it to affect it; you can't grope around blindly with it to find things.}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-09, 08:39 AM
Tom

Tom leans against a wall as the lanky man fishes thru the stream. "If you find any cave crawdads, rustle me up one. Them's good eatin'. Otherwise, let's get a move on. I'd like to be out of here 'fore we done run out of light."

MOD
2007-08-09, 01:31 PM
J'Lant

"Stupid Trolls! Errrr its too dark for me to do anything effective within this pool. Sorry Plesh."

J'Lant begins his juggling again though a frown covers his face.

kariokie
2007-08-10, 03:19 AM
Getty

"If no individual can cogitate of a better plan of coping with an aquatic substance than engaging it in a staring contest and losing, I suggest we backtrack." Getty turns her suggestion into reality, turning around and walking back up the hall.

dauphinous
2007-08-10, 07:34 AM
As Getty turns to go and J'Lant takes to his juggling again, Pleshnaril is the only one to notice the dark shadow underwater that moves quickly towards you. He has just enough time to warn everyone before a pair of scaled, fishlike creatures, each carrying a spear-like weapon with sharp hooks on the end, run up the tunnel and out of the water.

Each has fine dark red scales and large black eyes. Their mouths are wide and flat, and their hands and feet have webbing between fingers and toes. They stand about 5 feet tall. One is looking directly at a point in space that happens to contain Pleshnaril, and the other seems intent on J'Lant.

{
initiative and first round actions, please
Map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/tunnelmap.jpg)
Blue squares are water. The first 10 feet of water impose no movement/combat penalties.
}

kariokie
2007-08-10, 08:42 AM
Getty

Spinning around quickly at the sound of Pleshnaril's warning, Getty drops the sun rod to the ground, using her left hand instead to steady the loaded crossbow as she aims it. She takes a shot at the fishman on J'Lant, then quickly reloads the weapon. "Aquatic adversaries, how exciting!"

{Initiative! (1d20+2=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1202053)
Attack! (1d20+5=13) (14, forgot point blank) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1202022)
Damage! (1d8+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1202025)}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-10, 09:05 AM
Tom

As the strange aquatic adversaries emerge from their watery habitat, Tom lets out a, "Oh hell..."

Tom slips into his alternate sight, forcing his will upon reality. He envisions the water freezing into a thick layer of ice, blocking the egress of the odd creatures.

{
Initiative: 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1949)
Create Seed: Ice, +1 Inch, +1 Cubic Foot: DC 9: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1950)

10x10 Sheet of Ice 2 inches thick, from the edge of the water back as far as it will go.

4/9 SP, Ready Spell Defense on those in the front row if needed (2 HP/SP).
}

MOD
2007-08-10, 12:23 PM
J'Lant

"Why, 'ello," is all J'Lant manages to say as he drops his water and floats a mace out of no where towards the fish thing in front of him.







Inititive [roll0]
TK Trip Touch Attack [roll1] Forgot to add a +1 in there.
TK Strength Check [roll2] Forgot to add a +1 in there.
TK Attack [roll3]
TK Damage [roll4]

dauphinous
2007-08-12, 08:24 PM
Pleshnaril, moving faster than the eye can see, or rather, invisibly, appears rather suddenly as he plunges his little rapier into one of the fishmenís gut. The blow is well-placed, and it grunts and grabs at the wound as the pixie pulls his blade back and turns invisible again. The fishman nearing JíLant seems to struggle with something unseen, but he breaks free of whatever it is, at least for the moment. Gettyís bolt scrapes across the scales of the fishman in front of JíLant, but it draws no blood. Tomís sheet of ice forms across the top of the water. The fishman in front of JíLant jumps up as it does and lands atop it. The other fishman, obviously distracted by the hole in its gut, is stuck fast in the ice, and starts making weird, high-pitched noises.

Both fishmen brandish their spears angrily. JíLant is slashed by a spear that makes a gash in his chest, splattering his blood all over the ice. Pleshnaril notices that the fishman in front of him is looking directly at him, not at Tom standing behind him. Then he notices as the spear it is holding cuts deeply into his leg. Everyone else sees the spear cause a thick spray of blood and the fishman makes a weird expression, impossible to truly decode, but possibly a bloodthirsty grin.

{
initiative order:
Pleshnaril 35
JíLant 14
Getty 13
Tom 11
Bad guys 4

JíLant takes 10 damage.
Pleshnaril takes 6 damage.
}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-12, 08:57 PM
Tom

Angrily, Tom stares at the fishman that had lept out of the water. He tries to imagine something - anything - bad happening to him. He envisions a blade springing into being and stabbing the fishman, or a jet of fire burning him, but he cannot focus, and manages nothing more than to glare balefully at the creature.

{
Harm Seed: DC 12: 1D20+3 = [8]+3 = 11 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1964)
}

kariokie
2007-08-12, 11:10 PM
Getty

She grins in admiration at the sheet of ice. "Speedy thinking, young Tom!"

Getty steps back a little, then aims her crossbow at the one on J'Lant -- the one not frozen in the ice. "I suggest we withdraw slightly, to take advantage of the fact that the one encased in a frozen aquatic substance cannot follow." She sends the bolt slicing through the air, then loads the weapon again.

{Five foot step back. Fire crossbow. Reload.
Attack! (1d20+6=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1205908)
Oh, annoying, reroll ring!
Attack! (1d20+6=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1205911)
Damage! (1d8+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1205912)
Bah!}

North
2007-08-12, 11:31 PM
Plesh

OW!!! Son of a centauress!

Plesh assesses the situation and practices the traditional Pixie battle tactic.

He runs away.

[Five foot step backwards then run away as far as he can!]

MOD
2007-08-13, 01:17 AM
J'Lant

"Gah!" J'Lant moans as he bleeds onto the floor. J'Lant takes a withdraw action moving to I3. He moves slowly and with caution keeping his eye on the floating mace in front of his opponent.

dauphinous
2007-08-13, 06:25 AM
the breeze caused by Pleshnaril's panicked passing is obvious to everyone. J'Lant moves carefully out of reach of the fishmen. Getty steps back and thunks a bolt into the fishman not caught in the ice, while Tom, now in the front of the group, glares at the fishman.

The two fishmen seem to have decided to kill Tom[ quickly before dealing with anyone else. The one encased in the ice throws his spear at Tom, but seems to have difficulty overcoming his predicament and the spear flies past him and skitters down the hall. It makes some high-pitched noises that sound vaguely like "Eeeeee! Ach-eeee! Eeeeooooeee!" The other one slashes his spear across Tom's leg.

{
initiative order:
Pleshnaril 35
JíLant 14
Getty 13
Tom 11
Bad guys 4

Tom takes 7 damage, but can negate/reduce with Spell Defense if he wants
}

North
2007-08-13, 12:13 PM
Plesh

I hope I live thru this to get a cool scar Plesh thought to himself. Time for some payback Fishface Plesh draws a arrow and fires into the fray at the Fishman that had viciously stabbed him prior




Shoot! (1d20+7=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206508)
[Im not sure which one is which but Plesh shoots the jerk who shot him]
Damage (1d4=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206513)

Eratosthenes
2007-08-13, 12:23 PM
Tom

Tom realizes, too late, that he's now in the front. In other words, a bad place. He steps backwards away from the fish-man, unfastening his hammer.

{
5' Step, Draw weapon
}

kariokie
2007-08-13, 12:41 PM
Getty

Seeing that Tom is about to move, Getty holds until he does. Once he's stepped back, Getty moves in-between Tom and the fish man. "I suppose, as they are sentient creatures, it would be gauche of me to state that I am currently craving fish sticks." She takes a swing with her sword, missing widely.

{Attack! (1d20+4=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206556)}

MOD
2007-08-13, 02:08 PM
J'Lant

Floating his weapon to the creature not incased in ice J'Lant attacks.

TK Attack [roll0]
TK Damage [roll1]

dauphinous
2007-08-13, 02:21 PM
Pleshnaril's arrow comes streaking into view and slams into the ice-anchored fishman. It hits the thing right between the eyes, knocking it over backwards. J'Lant's floating mace takes a swipe at the other fishman, and Getty tries to capitalize on the mild distraction that causes, but both fail to hit it. Tom steps back and pulls his weapon.

The remaining fishman screeches at Getty, and pushes its spear at her. The spear would have struck her if she was just a little slower.

{
initiative order:
Pleshnaril 35
JíLant 14
Getty 13
Tom 11
Bad guys 4

One fish down, 1 to go.
}

MOD
2007-08-13, 02:32 PM
J'Lant
"Nice one Plesh," J'Lant shouts as he floats his mace to the remaining fish thing. J'Lant again takes a swipe.

TK Attack [roll0]
Tk Damage [roll1]

kariokie
2007-08-13, 02:32 PM
Getty

"I wonder if he comprehended the fish sticks comment, or if his rage comes from another font?" Getty swings her sword again, this time with much more direction to it.

{Attack! (1d20+4=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206739)
Damage! (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206743)}

North
2007-08-13, 05:00 PM
Plesh - Bleeding Marksman

Hah one down one to go. Plesh readies and fires another shot at the still standing Fishmonster.


Attack (1d4+7=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206893)
Damage! (1d4=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1206891)

Eratosthenes
2007-08-13, 05:13 PM
Tom

Tom has a warm feeling filling him as he sees Getty move past him and engage the hostile fish-man. Wow, she...she risked her life for me...again!

Tom steps forward, hoping to help Getty in the battle with the remaining fish-man. "Hayaaaaah!"

{
Move to flank, or put Getty in a flanking position, if possible.
Attack: [roll0] (Flanking not included)
Damage: [roll1]
}

dauphinous
2007-08-13, 06:30 PM
Pleshnaril's arrow hits the wall, but between the efforts of J'lan't floating mace, Getty's flashing sword, and Tom's harassing hammer, the last fishman is turned into sushi. As it falls to the ground, Getty sees past the two bodies to note more shadows swimming up the tunnel. Though the sheet of ice will likely hamper them, it seems unlikely that it will stop them for long.

{Pleshnaril's arrow is destroyed}

kariokie
2007-08-13, 10:41 PM
Getty

"Fight or go?" Getty asks, spinning around her short sword.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-14, 07:51 AM
Tom

"That ice ain't gonna hold much longer, and we can't ken how many are down there. Could be a whole daggum city. I say we skedaddle." Tom grips his hammer tightly, eyeing the ice sheet he'd made. At least that had worked. He really had to try to get his power more under control. It was still tiring him out quickly when he used it.

North
2007-08-14, 11:31 AM
Plesh

Still visible from the fight Pleshnaril is injured severly. He is holding his shirt against the gaping wound in his side. I vote run away. I could really use some rest and healing about now.

kariokie
2007-08-14, 11:33 AM
Getty

"Go it is. Ambulate, people!" Getty grabs her dropped belongings and heads up the hall once the other three get moving.

dauphinous
2007-08-14, 11:49 AM
The better part of valor finds the group back at the intersection of four paths. There are some sounds echoing up behind you, likely the presumed additional fishmen hacking through the ice and/or discovering their brethren.

North
2007-08-14, 12:58 PM
Plesh

Tom or J'Lant can you use your magic stuff to read that writing? Plesh points at the strange script on the wall. I dont want to run into anything worse right now.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-14, 12:59 PM
Tom

Taking the momentary pause, Tom tries to recall the magic he had learned for healing. He pauses next to Plesh and the tall man who'd recently joined them. Willing them to be whole again, he watches - awed as ever - as the wounds heal over.

{
On Plesh, 4 points of healing: Healing 4 Points DC 9: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1993)
On J'Lant, 4 points of healing: Healing 4 Points DC 9: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1994)
Since I beat J'Lant's DC by >10, increase the healing to D3's: Healing D3: 4D3 = [3, 3, 2, 2] = 10 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=1995)
1/9 SP's
}

MOD
2007-08-14, 01:07 PM
J'Lant[

Watching Tom's work proceed J'Lant's eyes go wide with amazement. "Th-Th-Thankyou Tom." J'Lant stutters as he is fully recovered from his greavous injury.

"Unfortunatly Plesh I do not use magic in the slightest. I doubt I could read the strange writing if I tried, 'owever I'll take a quick look." Moving quickly over to the wall J'Lant peers at the scribblings.

Returing to the group, "As good as I feel now I do believe we had best escape. Now."

North
2007-08-14, 01:35 PM
Plesh

Plesh feels the wave of positive energy wash over him. And his wound stop hurting as fiercely. Plesh pokes his finger at the at what used to be a gaping hole. Hey my finger doesnt go in anymore. Thanks Tom :smallbiggrin: Yeah we should run. But which direction? Or we could try setting up an ambush here....

kariokie
2007-08-14, 02:10 PM
Getty

"Up and out, then, if we're not obstructed." Getty leads the way back to the ladder. She'd much rather discover where the sign was pointing to, but Tom seemed near the end of his reserves.

dauphinous
2007-08-14, 02:24 PM
The evacuation back to the chamber with the ladder up is uneventful. The cover of the hole is missing, and once up in the passage where the giant rolling ball was, you find that it is also gone. You can hear voices down the passageway, one of which sound like the Drow that Tom spoke to, and another sounds like the voice you heard prior to that.

MOD
2007-08-14, 02:37 PM
J'Lant

Hearing the drow and that other strange voice J'Lant attempts to get a better look.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]

North
2007-08-14, 03:33 PM
Plesh

Plesh makes the hand gestures that hes going to scout ahead. Vanishing he creeps forwards silently searching the tunnel.

Spot (1d20+5=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208536) Listen (1d20+5=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208538) Move Silently (1d20+11=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208545) Hide (1d20+13=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208547)

Eratosthenes
2007-08-14, 05:55 PM
Tom

Wincing somewhat, at his own injury, Tom starts to say something to the others dashing ahead, but thinks better of it. He could translate again, but he didn't think he'd have much energy for anything else. And though his injury was mild, he'd much rather not suffer any more this day.

But then, that was true any day.

Tom waits while the others scout ahead.

kariokie
2007-08-14, 06:14 PM
Getty

Getty stays put. I hope they realize this is how they set off the traps before, moving ahead of me. She looks at Tom and then jokingly motions that they should both go down the hole and sneak off from their new -- and foolishly headstrong -- companions.

dauphinous
2007-08-14, 07:02 PM
JíLant and Pleshnaril stalk forward in the tunnel, moving towards the voices. At least two voices laugh at something, and there is a loud clang. Then the more familiar voice issues what sounds like an order and they all get quiet. JíLant can hear some lingering snickering. There is some more of what could best be described as idle chatter. The side door that seemed to be attached to the tripwire stands open, though two Drow men are working to turn some kind of tool in the wall, which seems to be having the effect of closing the door. The other two look to be resetting the tripwire.

One of the ones on the wall crank looks directly at JíLant. "Vel'bol xun dos ssinssrin? Ele phuul dos velkresa?" His voice is smooth, like velvet rubbed down your spine, but he sounds amused more than anything else.

North
2007-08-14, 09:15 PM
Plesh

Plesh sneaks back to the others. Those Drow guys are resetting the traps! he whispers. One of thems talking to J'Lant now. Because of the day its been Plesh nocks an arrow on his bow.


Move Silently (1d20+11=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208984)HIde (1d20+13=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1208987)

MOD
2007-08-14, 09:58 PM
J'Lant

I know I'm going to regret doing this...

J'Lant moves himself out of the shadows revealing his presence as he does something incredibly stupid.

"I am deeply sorry if these words offend but I do not know any other way to comunicate with you. I did not understand what you just said, could you repeat it please?"

dauphinous
2007-08-15, 06:07 AM
All four Drow stop what they are doing to look at J'Lant. The deep voiced one speak, using Elven. "Fine. He said, 'what are you doing here, and why are you skulking around?'."

The velvet voice Drow nods, then grins. "You have a nice Elvish accent."

The deep voice Drow rolls his eyes at that comment.

Getty, Tom, and Pleshnaril can hear all the voices, just not necessarily what they are saying.

{
Listen checks DC 20 if anyone aside from J'Lant wants to hear all the voices well enough to make out what is being said.
}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-15, 07:05 AM
Tom

Hearing some voices from down the hall, Tom raises an eyebrow at Getty. Pushing himself off from the wall he had been leaning against, he merely notes, "Looks like he done found himself some fun."

Tom leisurely ambles down the hall towards where all the commotion is.

kariokie
2007-08-15, 07:09 AM
Getty

Getty heads down the hall after Tom, trying to listen to the conversation as she walks. Unfortunately, she can't hear much of anything useful.

{Listen! (1d20+7=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1209616)}

MOD
2007-08-15, 12:21 PM
J'Lant

Blushing a little, "Thank you, I 'ave 'ad a lot of practice."

Looking from one drow to the other J'Lant continues, "Well we 'ave 'ad enough exploring for today and were just 'eading out. Then I had 'eard voices and wanted to investigate so 'ere I am."

Extending a hand, "My name is J'Lant." He says in his friendliest tone.

North
2007-08-16, 03:13 PM
Plesh

Plesh walks alongside the others. He manages to hear what they are all saying. Hmmm so lots of them speak elven. But why the hostility earlier? I better play it safe still. He tucks in behind Getty and Tom when they near the others.

Listen (1d20+5=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1211531) Move Silently (1d20+11=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1211539) Hide (1d20+13=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1211540)

dauphinous
2007-08-18, 04:38 PM
The velvet voice Drow shakes J'Lant's hand firmly. "Iris'kar. Nice to meet you."

The Drow working with him offers his hand too, saying only "Lorviquial".

"Stop flirting with him, we have work to do." The deep voice Drow glares a bit at Iris'kar.

Iriskar sticks his tongue out at the other Drow the moment he turns his back. "Just steer clear of the gold, and you'll be fine."

To J'Lant, the deep voice Drow says, "Get moving. We aren't tour guides, and we aren't here to socialize, either." Then he turns to Iriskar and says something reprovingly to him in Drow. The other two just shrug and they all get back to work.

MOD
2007-08-18, 10:05 PM
J'Lant

"Iris'kar says to avoid the gold up ahead and well be fine," J'Lant says over his shoulder to the group.

[Elvish]"See you some other time Iris'kar," [Elvish]J'Lant says with a wink as he waits for Getty to take the lead once again.

When the group arrives J'Lant beams, "I made a friend!"

kariokie
2007-08-19, 08:50 AM
Getty

"The gold we already picked up?" Getty says, curiously. Then she shrugs. "I suppose we should retreat to the surface to rest yet again."

dauphinous
2007-08-19, 09:17 AM
The four Drow watch all of you troop past. Iris'kar watches cheerfully, with a nod and a smile, but the other three seem to ignore you. As you go, you find that the pit with the water in it has been closed, and all the gold pieces have been replaced. The giant rolling ball is gone.

Unless you wish to investigate the other fork that was ignored, you find yourselves back at the ivy covered stair in waning light.

North
2007-08-19, 12:27 PM
Plesh

So now what bosslady? Plesh asks Getty. Its been a long day and hes a lil tired sure but still rarin to go.

kariokie
2007-08-20, 04:00 AM
Getty

"Now we partake in a proud group tradition -- departing from a half-explored cavernous environment to rest." Getty walks back up the stairs, avoiding the trapped stair, then leads the way back to town.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-20, 04:59 AM
Tom

"Aye to that. She's the right of it, she does. First round's on the tall stranger."

Tom looks forward to getting some rest. His energies were flagging, and his wound had gone from numb to sore.

dauphinous
2007-08-20, 07:10 AM
The walk back to Ciderspring in the deepening dark is, save for some wolf howls off in the distance, quiet and uneventful. The sun sets as you reach the first orchards. By the time you reach the main street, the short twilight has given way to full dark and the buildings along the road are lit up by multicolored globes of light.

The town seems to have already moved past the evening bustle of all the travelers trying to get rooms, so rooms at the inn are quite likely to be difficult to find. There are four inns to choose from, though, and one of them may have some space. Guardsmen and women can be seen patrolling the road, and there are plenty of people walking around. Despite the late hour, all the shops along the main road are open.

Paredin, walking with an spry elderly woman, waves to you all from across the street. The woman seems to be dragging him off, and the words 'miscreants' and 'vandalized' can be overheard in her diatribe.

MOD
2007-08-20, 01:10 PM
J'Lant

"Wow, this place is huge." J'Lant says his eyes large and doe like.

Riding on top of his horse J'Lant comments, "Muffin, I think we are a very long way from 'ome...oh well that is adventure I suppose. Are there any good places to eat around here and comfortable lodging?"

North
2007-08-20, 04:17 PM
Plesh

Remember noone knows that you were responsible for what happened before. Plesh told himself. Looks like they fixed everything after the fire tho. Looking up at top J'Lant he said Yeah this place is really neat. All sorts of strange things happen here.

kariokie
2007-08-20, 05:00 PM
Getty

Getty ignores the two's questions, instead walking over at Paredin's beckon. Cool. Play it cool. Cool as ice. Cool as crystallized water. Water. I could do with a drink right about no- Deep in thought, Getty nearly walks right into Paredin, stopping with a non-too-subtle jolt. "You gesticulated in my direction?"

dauphinous
2007-08-20, 06:04 PM
The woman stops nattering and Paredin smiles at Getty, then puts a hand on the old woman's shoulder. "Excuse me, Mrs. Lanson. Someone will be over right away to take a look at that. I promise. I have urgent business with this," he indicates Getty, "young woman right now."

Mrs. Lanson peers suspiciously at Getty, looking her up and down critically. She finally makes a slight expression of distaste and looks up at Paredin again. "As long as I have your word that you'll do something about it. These kids today just have no respect for their elders." She probably would go on in this vein for some time, but Paredin cuts her off.

"Yes, you have my word. Excuse me, please." He leads Getty away from Mrs. Lanson, not giving her the chance to start up again. He glances back surreptitiously to make sure the old woman is far enough to not hear him. "Yeah, urgent business. Like being someplace where she isn't. Thank you, Getty. I apologize for using you that way, but Mrs. Lanson gives me a headache." As soon as he is close enough, he offers a hand to shake with Tom. "Welcome back to Ciderspring. is there anything I can do for you?"

MOD
2007-08-20, 09:37 PM
J'Lant

Stepping down from his horse, "Well, if your free for dinner...," J'Lant says with an outstreched hand and as diplomatically as possible, "The name is J'Lant my fine fellow."

Diplomacy [roll0]

Eratosthenes
2007-08-21, 01:34 AM
Tom

Tom accepts the hand with an enthusiastic shake. "Always good to see our fine sheriff. 'nuther day keepin' the peace, is it? I don't reckon we need much, other'n a stiff drink and a bed for the night."

Tom glances sideways at J'lant, seems to weight a decision, then inwardly sighs. "This here's J'lant," by way of introduction, "We done picked him up outside of town."

kariokie
2007-08-21, 04:43 AM
Getty

"Young Tom has it factual, Paredin. We have wrangled with violent vegetation, meleed with murderous mermen, and encountered indifferent drow. It has been a busy day and I require a refreshing alcoholic beverage. We have been quite assiduous as regards to our adventuring duties." Getty grins, a little goofy, then snorts. Hee. I said ass.

dauphinous
2007-08-21, 06:11 AM
Paredin shakes hands with both Tom and J'Lant. "Well met, J'Lant." He grins at Getty. "Good luck finding a room at this hour." He pauses for a moment, apparently considering something. "If you can't find anything, I can probably put you up at my place. This town hasn't come near to paying you back for putting your necks on the line for us yet. It's the least I can do."

He sighs. "But right now, I have to go figure out which kids dumped whitewash on Mrs. Lanson's roses and stuck sheets of parchment to her dog with glue." With that, he turns to start heading down the street.

North
2007-08-21, 02:27 PM
Plesh

Hehehe. They glued a dog! Classic. But feathers are more traditional. Pleshs voice drifts from beside Tom. Did I ever tell you guys about the time we painted stripes on the centaurs and called them zebras. Hehehe. Hilarious!

Eratosthenes
2007-08-21, 03:13 PM
Tom

Tom looks quizzically at the sprite, "Zebrahs? What's a Zebrah?"

Tom waves as the sheriff walks off. At least it weren't no vampires or dragons coming thru town this time, just a few misspent youth.

"Well, if we can't get a room, 'least we should be able to get us'n a drink. I wonder how what's-his-name's making out with his girl."

kariokie
2007-08-21, 03:24 PM
Getty

"A zee-bor-uh is a spotted creature known for its ferocity and very sharp teeth, young Tom."

She considers their options. "I concur. Let us investigate the possibility of lodging, then if we are denied such comfort, we can drown our sorrows in alcoholic beverages." Getty grins, "And then demand lodging with the Sheriff!"

dauphinous
2007-08-21, 04:21 PM
The Ciderspring Inn now has a banner hanging across the front that says "Site of a Dragon Attack!" Despite common logic, this seems to be attracting a large number of people, and they look to have standing room only. The Golden Delicious, Piping Pippin, Granny Smith's, and The Pink Lady, which are the other inns in town, are all quite busy. Only The Pink Lady, which is not a brothel, has any room at all left by the time you get there, and all they have is space on the floor in the common area, for which you have to wait until after the bar closes to have any hope of getting any sleep.

The clerk at Granny Smith's was kind enough to inform you that the Ciderspring Inn is drawing all kinds of folk in now that news of the dragon attack has spread. They are 'busier than hedgehogs in spring' with all the overspill business.

MOD
2007-08-21, 09:19 PM
J'Lant

As the group meanders about from one inn to another, "Was there really a dragon attack 'ere or is it just some sort of publicity stunt?" J'Lant wonders out loud as he trots Muffin along.

kariokie
2007-08-22, 02:10 PM
Getty

"Two dragons fell on us. People died." Getty speaks plainly, and looks a little put out that they've turned the site into a tourist trap. Shaking her head, she leads the way to the Pink Lady for a drink, at least. "We can always make our encampment in the proximate woods. Or lodge with Paredin."

dauphinous
2007-08-22, 02:48 PM
Unlike rooms for the night, there is plenty of cider and food to be had. When you get to The Pink Lady, the small stage has a pair of young men, one playing a lute and singing a drinking song while the other is doing a fair job of juggling four empty cider bottles in time to the music. The crowd seems to be enjoying the entertainment.

You can get a wide variety of ciders by the bottle or from the tap. The meal tonight is fresh bread with butter, scalloped potatoes, ham steak, mixed vegetables, and fresh apple pie with a dollop of whipped heavy cream.

North
2007-08-22, 03:07 PM
Plesh

Pie and Cider. And then more cider!Plesh jumps onto a table seat. Plesh then starts trying to sing along with the drinking songs geussing at the words.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-22, 05:27 PM
Tom

Tom eyes Getty's last suggestion. He grins, "You bunkin' in a sheriff's house just don't seem right."

At the Pink Lady, Tom orders cider as well, but is mindful not to overdue it like the last time he went carousing the establishments here.

MOD
2007-08-22, 10:40 PM
J'Lant

"Oh, are the sheriff and you and item Getty? If that is the case 'e is all yours..." J'Lant says after ordering four ales, a meal, and several pies.

kariokie
2007-08-24, 12:48 PM
Getty

"No! No, we're not, at all!" Getty almost spits her cider out her nose.

North
2007-08-24, 01:56 PM
Plesh

Getty likes the sheriff! Getty likes the sheriff!Plesh singsongs laughing at the cider shooting out of her nose.

MOD
2007-08-25, 02:34 AM
J'Lant

Between swigs of ale and bites of food, all floated to J'Lant's mouth, "Me thinks thou doth protest to much my dear Getty," J'Lant smirks, "I think we should room with the sheriff. It could make for an entertaining encounter."

kariokie
2007-08-25, 12:10 PM
Getty

Getty tries to cover up her discomfort, then snorts and fails, blushing red. She mutters into her drink, "I'll be sleeping here. You sleep where you like."

dauphinous
2007-08-29, 12:11 PM
J'Lant finds that his method of eating has attracted the attention of a young girl, probably 6 or 7 years old. She stares at him, watching with her mouth hanging slightly open while the adults around her chatter about the weather on their journey so far.

With Getty unwilling to take the Sheriff up on his offer for hospitality, it is a fairly safe bet that neither J'Lant nor Pleshnaril will be able to, as the town owes them nothing at this point.

Although the crowd is lively, they do not seem inclined towards rowdiness, so the evening passes without any incident. When the bar closes, late into the night, the employees begin sweeping the drunks out like they were yesterday's trash, throwing them into the street. The floor is cleared so those who pay their copper piece can sleep there.

The floor is hard, a little sticky from spilled beer in several places, and smells a bit funny, but it does have a roof overhead. Once the main door is closed, the fire warms the place up nicely. The employees all leave and the lights wink out to shroud the room in total darkness. Very soon, there is nothing to hear but the crackle of the fire and the breathing of the fifteen other people trying to sleep in the room.

Getty:Just as Getty is on the edge of drifting off, she hears a sound that is highly reminiscent of someone sputtering and choking. The sound is obviously coming from someplace in this room, though where exactly is not clear. It is probably not one of your intrepid companions, as the sound isn't quite close enough for that.
Tom:Tom fell asleep, but he wakes up for no apparent reason. There's some kind of funny noise in the room someplace, but ti's hard to place just where it might be, except to say that it is not right next to you for sure. It has a kind of feel to it like someone might be coughing with a hand over his mouth, maybe.

kariokie
2007-08-29, 03:58 PM
Getty

"Don't put the colander in the grapefruit!" she shouts as she jolts from near-sleep with a start. Sitting up, Getty strikes a sunrod she grabs from her pack before she thinks exactly how unpopular it might make her in this room.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-29, 05:04 PM
Tom

Lieing very still, Tom tries to sneak a peek around the room. Noting the darkness, and his inability to see anything, he opts for a more dashing approach.

What he actually does is probably not very dashing at all, however.

Jumping up in the bed, he tries whipping the bedclothes about the room, in the hopes of ensaring whomever's in the bed. His wild antics are of course accompanied by a hollering and a hooting of a considerable decibel.

dauphinous
2007-08-29, 07:23 PM
Getty's sunrod illuminates the room in green light. There are a total of nineteen people sleeping here, including all of you. Hovering over a man maybe 15 feet away, there is a dark shape. Its long, dark shadowy fingers release the man immediately at the light and commotion from Tom, and its head seems to turn to regard Tom. Everyone else in the room also wakens, except that one man.

The shadowy thing hisses and hovers a foot or so over its prey. The other fourteen people make confused noises. One woman screams.

{
initiative and first round actions, please
The room is 40x50, you are near one of the shorter walls. The entire room is illuminated by the sunrod. Pleshnaril and J'Lant are awakened by Tom, unless they wish to remain asleep.
}

Eratosthenes
2007-08-29, 07:29 PM
Tom

"What in blue blazes..."

Seeing the strange form floating in the room, Tom decides to put some more space between him and the thing floating in the room.

{
Has there been enough time to restore SPs?
Initiative: [roll0]
}

MOD
2007-08-29, 08:44 PM
J'Lant

Snapping instantly alert J'Lant attempts to ensnare the shadowy thing with a telekinetic grapple while also standing up.

"I choose to agree with your statement Tom."

Initiative [roll0]

Grapple Touch Attack [roll1]

Opposed Grapple Roll [roll2]

North
2007-08-29, 08:58 PM
Pleshnaril

zz..... hmmmm five more minutes.......I hate picking berries...... Plesh rolls over and goes back to sleep.

kariokie
2007-08-30, 01:51 AM
Getty

While she's lucid enough to act, Getty's not awake enough yet to speak coherently. "The squirrel with a backscratcher!" She grabs a dagger from next to her and flings it towards the enemy.


Initiative! (1d20+2=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1232682)
Attack! (1d20+5=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1232693)
Critical Confirm! (1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1232698)
Damage with Critical! (2d4+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1232700)
Sneak Attack Damage (if it applies)! (2d6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1232707)
She has Point Blank and Precise Shot.
Dagger is the -1 dex/hit one.

dauphinous
2007-08-30, 11:58 AM
The dark form reaches out to the next closest person, the screaming woman, and sinks its long, creepy fingers into her. She stops screaming, her mouth still open and working, but the sound is more like whimpering now.

The rest of the people in the room, aside from the man on the floor and the woman with a claw through her chest, start behaving like a panicked crowd. Five run for the door, three drop back down the floor, cowering, one starts grabbing up his stuff, and the other four run for the corners of the room. Everyone is making gibberishy panic noises.

J'Lant creates a light breeze as the force of his mind pushes, but meets no resistance. Tom moves aside to get more space between it and himself. Getty throws her dagger, and it thunks solidly into the dark form. It makes an irritated screechy noise as the dagger falls through it and lands on the floor.

The shadowy figure leaves its claws sunken in the woman, who ceases making any noise and drops to her knees, though she seems to still be breathing.
Getty:A dark shadowy thing is rising from the body of the man lying on the floor.The other people in the room continue to panic.

{
initiative order:
shadowy form 21
dumb people 14
J'Lant 7
Tom 5
Getty 4

J'Lant knows that he actually missed the shadow thing with the touch attack part.
}

MOD
2007-08-30, 12:11 PM
J'Lant

Watching another shadowy thing rise, "Not good, we 'ave to get everyone out of 'ere." J'Lant says to everyone.

Bringing out his mace it zooms over to the creature that Getty thunked her dagger into.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

kariokie
2007-08-31, 09:01 AM
Getty

"Caltrop- Argh. Hello, individuals in this environment. If you could hastily locate the nearest exit and avail yourselves of it, we would be most grateful." Getty grabs another dagger and flings it towards the ghostly form she hit before.

"There is another one now, by the by."


[roll0]
[roll1]

North
2007-08-31, 12:39 PM
Plesh
Plesh wakes up from a very good dream about a water nymph.
What in the wide world of walnuts! Plesh looks around at he shadowy creatures. Plesh grabs his bow and arrow and fires at the nearest creepywhatsis. Then vanishes and trys to move to the other side of the room.

Initiative (1d20+5=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235318)
Attack (1d20+8=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235316)
Damage (1d4+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235320)

dauphinous
2007-08-31, 03:01 PM
Pleshnaril's arrow passes right through the shadow, not even remotely impeded by it. With clear instructions from J'Lant and Getty, the people start to run for the door. J'Lant's mace misses completely, and Getty's dagger flies through the shadowy form, just as Pleshnaril's arrow did. Tom puts himself as far from the shadow as he can. Screaming can be heard outside, as well as one person shouting, "Guards! Guards! Help!"

The woman falls the rest of the way to the floor, and the shadow's claw slips out of her body. No blood at all can be seen. Neither shadow moves from its current location in roughly the middle of the room.

{
initiative order:
shadowy form 21
Pleshnaril 15
J'Lant 7
Tom 5
Getty 4
}

kariokie
2007-08-31, 03:59 PM
Getty

Getty grabs her crossbow from her gear and loads it as she stands. "If any individual could illuminate these creatures' inherent strengths and vulnerabilities, I would be most appreciative."

That's like 3 move actions right there.

Eratosthenes
2007-08-31, 07:52 PM
Tom

Tom notices that the first dagger seemed to actually harm the creature, while others just pass on thru. Maybe it had to be an inherently magical blade? He'd heard tales of things like that from travelers in the tavern, back in Haversil.

He could do magic - maybe he could make Getty's crossbow magical? It was worth a shot.

Moving to Getty, Tom tries to focus on her crossbow; he imagined it turning into a great or powerful weapon, with perhaps skulls or little spikes coming off of it, but at best he was only able to impart a little magical energy to it, and not for long.

"J'lant - use Getty's dagger! It done seemed to hurt'em!"


0/9 SPs
Cast Check (DC 10): [roll0]
+1 Enhancement Bonus to Getty's Crossbow, 9 rounds

MOD
2007-08-31, 09:39 PM
J'Lant

With a slight nod to Tom J'Lant moves his gaze from his mace dropping it straight to the ground. Focusing his attention on Getty's blade sunk deep within the shadowy thing J'Lant pulls it free and attempts to strike the first shadowy thing with it.

Attack 1d20+4 (Plus whatever bonus it provides that isn't from being masterwork.)

Damage 1d4+2 (Plus whatever magical bonus it provides)

North
2007-09-01, 12:21 PM
Plesh

Theyre ghosts or something?! Plesh continues moving around the room to the other side. Not directly across from the group to avoid a crossfire but over to the side.

dauphinous
2007-09-01, 12:59 PM
Pleshnaril follows Tom's lead and just gets out of the way. J'Lant snatches up the dagger from where it is lying on the floor underneath the shadow and rips it upwards with his mind. It sinks solidly into the form, which screeches again. only a second after the dagger makes contact, though, J'Lant notes that there is no resistance against it anymore. Tom's spell enchants Getty's crossbow as she pulls it out and loads it.

Someone is still shouting for the guards, and there is plenty of stomping of feet outside. A figure can just be seen outside the open door, headed towards the building.

The first shadow, which has now been hit twice by Getty's dagger, turns to the closest target, J'Lant and lunges for him. It misjudges his ability to nimbly dodge and screeches some more, possibly in frustration. The second shadow, now stretching wickedly clawed arms out, remains hovering where it is.

{
initiative order:
shadowy forms 21
Pleshnaril 15
J'Lant 7
Tom 5
Getty 4
someone outside 3
}