PDA

View Full Version : Haversill III: Return of the Donkey



Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

kariokie
2007-10-31, 12:27 AM
Getty

Getty nods, remaining behind Tom. Her multisyllabic nature tended to make most conversations in Haversill filled with requests for additional data at both a slower rate and in smaller words. Better to let Tom do the speaking.

dauphinous
2007-10-31, 05:52 AM
"Well, I suppose there aren't too many of you. He's awake right now, so I guess so." She stands aside and lets everyone in, then leads the way to a small bedroom, where the sheriff is lying in bed, covered up by a faded blue quilt. Although he's lying down, it is clear that he is a tall man, probably more than a couple of inches over 6 feet. He has brown eyes and short, tidy, dark hair and a close-cropped dark beard, both with a few spots of grey to them. If the one arm lying on top of the quilt is any indication, he's a muscular man. Tom has seen him lift and hold up parts of walls of collapsed buildings so people could be extracted from them, and he has certainly hoisted off plenty of drunken troublemakers during his tenure. His face is a little pale at the moment, and he seems to be wearing a plain, thin cotton shirt with short sleeves.

"Landis, these kids we're looking to talk to you, if that's okay."

He looks up, fixing Tom with an uplifted eyebrow. "I have a feeling I know what this is about. Yeah, come on in. Miss Getty, nice to see you again." He cranes his neck a little and seems mildly surprised that it is just the three of you (well, four if he could actually see the pixie). "My apologies for not standing in the presence of a lady."

Kerry grins a little bit and leaves the room.

Once she's gone, Landis's grin turns a little sour. "Seems I did a piss poor job of containing the prisoner you were good enough to send my way."

North
2007-10-31, 07:00 PM
Plesh

Plesh just trailed along after the others. He was preoccupied with thinking about dinner and pie. I hope we are still going to be able to make it.

kariokie
2007-10-31, 11:55 PM
Getty

I should have just killed her. Getty looks Landis over, then shakes her head at the thought.

"She was difficult for us to capture with preparation and a hastily-formed alliance with a powerful... individual. I hardly can fault you for encountering the same difficulties at obtaining and then retaining the diminutive bitch than Tom and I did." Getty tries to smile in what she hopes is a sympathetic manner. "Can you relate how this occurred?"

dauphinous
2007-11-01, 07:38 AM
"I'm not completely sure. I had the dwarf gagged with her hands and feet bound and bag over her head. Lorrylith and Mirallien had been taking turns keeping a watch over her for me while I was trying to figure out what exactly to charge her with and how to prove it, and what to do with her once I did." He rubs his face with one hand.

"There was a fire down on one of the farms, and both Mira and I left the prisoner to deal with it. I should have left Mira there and grabbed Lorrylith on the way, but I wasn't thinking about that. Turns out it was a false alarm. No one knew who raised it, so Mira teleported us back to the jail, figuring the dwarf maybe somehow had something to do with it." Landis closes his eyes and shakes his head.

"Woman didn't even know what hit her. She just fell to her knees and the dwarf slit her throat from behind while something big and strong grabbed me and stuck me in the belly with some kind of knife that burned like fire. Then it let go and I didn't see anything else, but I heard the dwarf cast some kind of spell, I think. If I had to guess, I'd say whatever it was that had me wasn't human. Seemed kind of furry. Taller than me, and had a weird feel to it, like it was shaped strange Can't say what about it, exactly, but something wasn't right. It smelled kind of like dog in a way, too. I blacked out and woke up here yesterday. Lucky to be alive, so I'm told."

The sheriff opens his eyes again and looks at Getty and Tom. "That dwarf is dangerous. I don't know how you caught her in the first place, but I think maybe catching her isn't the right approach at this point. I won't say it officially, but my opinion is don't even waste your time trying to catch her. Just kill her. And find out who she's working with. But you don't have to go after her anymore, and I'll understand if you'd rather not. You did your part."

MOD
2007-11-01, 01:27 PM
J'Lant

Looking at his companions for brief moment a anger flashes over J'Lant's eyes at the sheriff's story.

"Senseless murder, that is not right, I will tell you this sheriff," J'Lant says his teeth clinched," My name is J'Lant and while I do not 'ave a long 'istory with this dwarf I will see to it that she burns in 'ell for 'er crimes." J'Lant pauses for a moment gathering his calm back.

"You did say you were injured, yes? May I take a look at the wound I might be able to 'elp speed along your recovery."

kariokie
2007-11-01, 03:46 PM
Getty

"A gnoll. The creature in question was a gnoll," Getty answers absently as she digests the information Landis provided. After a moment's thought, she adds, "I would consider it a pleasure to shorten the lifespan of the diminutive bitch. Additionally, it will give me an opportunity to try out the numerous additional short jokes I have contemplated since our previous encounter. No offense, Pleshnaril," she says to the air.

dauphinous
2007-11-02, 06:56 PM
"If you can do some kind of healing, I won't stop you. Oh, and pleased to meet you, J'Lant. I'd stand, but, well, I've been gutted like a fish." He smiles weakly and coughs a little bit as he chuckles. "I appreciate your help on this. I don't know what the hell we're going to do without a priest in town, but at least someone can hunt down that dwarf and deal with it."

"A gnoll, huh? Never seen one before. And I still haven't." He gets a kind of sad, thoughtful look on his face. "I know this may not sound...right, exactly, but you might want to consider stopping by to see Lorrylith. Mira was his wife, or whatever elves call it. He would maybe...well, he might give you a discount on stuff if he knew you were using it to help find her murderer."

MOD
2007-11-02, 11:13 PM
J'Lant

Bending down to examine the wound a stern look of concentration passes over his face. J'Lant forces his telekinetic ability to do his bidding inducing the torn muscles and bloodvessels to knit together. A vein pops out on his forehead and the wound on the Landis begins to close.

J'Lant keeps his concentration on the wound until it has fully healed. As the vein returns to normal and exertion ended a wave of fatigue passes over J'Lant.

Resist Exertion Fatigue (1d20+9=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1350766) Not sure on the DC because of the amount of hp needed to heal. So J'Lant will heal until it is totally healed even if he becomes fatigued after.

dauphinous
2007-11-03, 08:53 AM
The sheriff pulls aside the blanket and lifts up the shirt he's wearing for J'Lant. Then he rips the bandages off himself with a wince. The wound has been well cleaned and cared for, but there is only so much that a day or so of bed rest can do about a deep slash clear across the belly. The flesh around the edges of the wound has a curious texture to it, almost like it's been melted.

J'Lant stands there for about two minutes, and the process moves slowly enough that anyone watching can actually see the tissue knitting itself together, starting from the inside and working outward. The sheriff lies his head back and cringes some with his eyes closed as it starts. Judging by his expression, the sensation from the inside is not exactly pleasant.

When it is done, there is a thin pinkish scar left behind. And J'Lant is tired. Landis' expression uncrinkles and he opens his eyes slowly. "That's not really as pleasant as priest granted healing." He grins though, and chuckles. "But a remarkable talent, nonetheless. And much better than being laid up for a week. Thank you." He sits up and offers a hand to shake with J'Lant.

That puts J'Lant on the first tier of excessive failure consequences, so he is fatigued, requires 4 hours of rest beyond the normal 8, and has [roll0] points of temp Con damage.

North
2007-11-03, 07:25 PM
Plesh

So whats the deal with this dwarf anyways? I keep hearing it mentioned but I dont think I ever heard the full story. Plesh asks Getty tapping her on the side of the leg, popping back into sight.

kariokie
2007-11-03, 09:26 PM
Getty

"We became aware of the abbreviated individual when investigating the murder of a companion. Well, he became our companion after he was deceased. The first time he was deceased, that is." Getty tries to think of a way to make it simple enough that Pleshnaril doesn't wander off halfway through the story in search of pie. "She killed a man for his own gain. While she eventually reversed that condition -- after seriously injuring and capturing Tom and me among others -- the crime still remained. Eventually we were able to capture her with the help of Silas. Now she's escaped... after killing yet another person."

Eratosthenes
2007-11-03, 10:16 PM
Tom

Tom watches with interest J'lant's healing abilities. It was completely unlike his own.

Conversation about the dwarf interrupts his study, however. "All ya gots to know about that runt of a person is that she's as ornery as a snappin' turtle, with the personality to boot. You try to do her a good turn, and she'll as soon as gut ya as give you the time of day. She needs a'killin'."

MOD
2007-11-04, 03:26 AM
J'Lant

Closing his eyes after healing the sheriff J'Lant feels a wave of dizziness pass over him and his skin loses some of it natural pinkish tone. Stumbling back a bit and placing a hand to his forehead as his other reaches out for something to steady himself, J'Lant blindly grasps for support. Unfortunately for Getty, the support he grasps is her bosom.

With a weak smile J'Lant responds, "I am just glad you are feeling better sheriff."

North
2007-11-04, 07:15 PM
Plesh

Well lets go get her! Plesh charges out of the room.

A couple moments later Plesh returns.

Err Where'd she go?

kariokie
2007-11-05, 06:01 AM
Getty

Getty grabs J'Lant by the wrist. "Don't. Not funny." Then she seats him on the bed.

dauphinous
2007-11-05, 06:40 AM
The sheriff swings his legs around and stands up, just blinking a couple of times at the pixie as he appears, then disappears and reappears. He's just wearing plain cotton pants and is barefoot. He helps Getty lower J'Lant to the bed. "Thanks to you, I can stop loafing around and get back to work. I'm afraid I don't know anything else about the dwarf. I hadn't questioned her yet, and I have a feeling I wouldn't have gotten much out of her even if I had. I don't know anything about gnolls, either. We've never had any around here as far as I know."

MOD
2007-11-05, 10:17 PM
J'Lant

Finding himself on the bed J'Lant leans back taking a glance about the room. Seeing the look on Getty's face and recalling her previous words, not to mention the feel of his "support" J'Lant surmises his current predicament.

Feeling a little sheepish but still somewhat pleased with himself, "Whoops."

kariokie
2007-11-06, 01:53 PM
Getty

Getty moves to one of the walls in the small room and leans against it. "The dwarf imprisoned us previously, in a gnoll fortification. We were teleported both to and from the location, so we have no way of retracing our steps. Tom, do you have any way to divine the location of our prey?"

Eratosthenes
2007-11-06, 03:31 PM
Tom

At J'lant's stumbling grope, Tom's ears begin burning. Though Getty seems to deal with the clumsy lout, his hands reflexively clench and unclench into fists at his side. His mind is racing with the things he outta do to the uncouth git, when Getty's query snaps him out of it. With a last sidelong glare at the man, he replies, "Well, I reckon I could give it a try. I ain't never done nothing quite like this. Should I done look for the dwarf, or that place she done kept us?"

kariokie
2007-11-07, 11:38 AM
Getty

"Let's start by looking for the abbreviated miscreant, as she may not have returned to the fortification she previously inhabited, unless that is more difficult." Getty pushes off from the wall, standing upright. "How long would the divination take, do you theorize, Tom? I do not believe you wish to do it in your abode, but we should vacate this locale and permit the sheriff to enjoy his newly mobile state."

Eratosthenes
2007-11-07, 05:01 PM
Tom

Tom starts for a second, as he realizes he is indeed in the Sheriff's office. "Uh, yea. Not long, I would reckon. I need to go an'cogitate somewhere else like. I think we can find this a'cursed dwarf."

Tom stands and bids the sheriff adieu, before heading out. He heads up the street a short ways, before cutting between some buildings, and slipping out of the town proper a short ways. Once he's confident they aren't being spied upon (at least he hopes the lot of them haven't drawn hordes of undue attention), Tom sits under the bole of a tree, and seems to start daydreaming.

He thinks of the dwarf. That ornery, foul-mouthed, mean-spirited, cantankerous, smelly-footed (ok, he didn't know about that, but he could imagine) dwarf. He tries to imagine what she was up to. He tries to picture her.

The familiar sensation washes over him, as he feels his world fracture. Before him he sees, like an overlay, multiple instances of reality. In some, a dwarf is hammering on an anvil. In others, strange green-skinned people run across a prairie. The visions are countless. Concentrating, he tries to will the dwarf into the fore, and to see her, and to know where she is. The visions speed by faster and faster, as Tom struggles to maintain his concentration. His brow furrowed, and sweaty, he plunges on tight-lipped, trying to locate the dwarf...


Divination Seed: Scry a creature (DC 5+10 [Scry Specific Creature] = DC 15)
Take 10, for a 16 on the Caster Check.
Costs 2 SP, 9/11 SP Remaining
Target gets a Will save, DC 15
Scry lasts 4 minutes.

dauphinous
2007-11-07, 09:06 PM
The sheriff nods a little. "Good hunting. Keep me informed." You all troop out, and Tom finds a secluded spot to sit down and cast his spell. You are all unmolested on the way there. The grass here is thick and springy, providing a fairly comfortable spot to sit for a little bit. Some crickets cease chirping when you walk up, and some birds start squawking loudly.

The sky is clear and the sun's position puts the time around 3 or so. It is warm with just a gentle hint of a breeze that mercifully does not carry any of the town's or farms' smells.

North
2007-11-07, 09:43 PM
Plesh

So if we find her, are we just going to kill her? Plesh asks innocently. I dont mind. If a bears rabid its a mercy kill.

MOD
2007-11-07, 11:03 PM
J'Lant

Following the group J'Lant wobbles along his legs shaking as they walk. Sitting, or more likely collapsing, on the ground across from Tom J'Lant practices his Telekinesis ability, floating fallen leaves around.

Opening his mouth to say something J'Lant thinks better of it so as not to interupt Tom's concentration.

kariokie
2007-11-08, 08:27 AM
Getty

Getty lays down on the grass, looking up in the sky and watching the clouds as Tom concentrates. To Pleshnaril's query she quietly answers, "Yes." It's what she should have done in the first place -- now a priestess was dead. And, effectively, it was Getty's fault for believing the dwarf could have been contained. She bites her lip for a minute, willing herself to think about anything else. Some hero.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-08, 09:12 AM
Tom

"I...I see her! She's...it's...I see a castle? Stonework. Men, cooking? Big kitchen..." Tom exclaims, his unfocused sight staring at something far off in his mind.

Tom grows quiet again, as he focuses on what he sees. It was important that he remember.

That green rug. The desk. It must be her study. It's also the last image he's left with.

While it was still fresh in his mind, Tom again furrows his brow in concentration. Again, the images flit across his vision, faster and faster. His fists clenched, muscles tensing, Tom pushes himself still farther, trying to determine where that place was.


Divination Seed: Discern North, determine the most direct route (+20)
DC 5+20-8 (Empower x4) = 17
Cast Check: 23 (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=2595)
Cost: 7 SP (2/11 left)

Eratosthenes
2007-11-08, 03:55 PM
Tom

Tom relaxes, and a big grin comes across his face. He looks paler than when he sat down, but happy. Standing, with the support of a tree, he announces, "That ornery sumb--- is plumb straight thataway. Inside some sorta fort, or somethin'. And there's caltrops around the wall. The door faces west. A day, maybe more, I reckon." Tom points off past a farm, through some woods, into the distance.

kariokie
2007-11-08, 04:30 PM
Getty

Getty gracefully rolls up to her feet, her jaw set and her eyes determined. "We leave at dawn. I'll need to obtain a room, as I have items to create and I do not want to combust your family's domicile, Tom. First, we should pay our respects to the priestess's husband and see about procuring some items to assist us in our endeavor."

MOD
2007-11-08, 05:51 PM
J'Lant

Standing shakily J'Lant tags along still floating a leaf or two along as they travel.

"Do you two really think we should take advantage of the priestess's loss and get a few supplies cheaper? It seems dishonest or just a bit slimy." J'Lant says rubbing the back of his head.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-08, 06:24 PM
Tom

"Naw. Way I see it, her kith and kin will be all but ready to go themselves. It'll give'em somethin' to which they can done say: `I helped get her vengeance`"

Responding to Getty, Tom nods, "Suit yourself. Mornin' sounds good; I reckon J'lant here and me are'n good for nothin' today anyhow."

North
2007-11-08, 11:01 PM
Plesh

Hey Getty can you make explodey things! I can like fly over and drop them and boom! Plesh continues making exploding noises and simulates with his hand flying over an invisible fort.

dauphinous
2007-11-09, 07:08 AM
Lorrylith's shop, Glamerous, has a small sign that declares it to be closed. The door is locked, and there is a dark purple curtain covering the window. The shrine of Besille isn't far away, though, and Lorrylith can be found there. The elf is sitting on the bench inside the small building, his back against the wall and shoulders slumped. He is blonde, his hair about chin length, and he is wearing a deep purple velvety wizard's robe, embroidered with the rose of Besille in gold thread around the hems. The robe is open in the front and his plain but rumpled purple pants and shirt are visible. He has shoes on that match the robes. There are brownish stains on his clothing across his chest that are probably dried blood.

Tom knows this to be one of the outfits he normally wears while tending his shop.

Lorrylith has a lavender dress with white gauzy sleeves and gold trim draped across his lap, and is staring at the rose suspended in midair in the middle of the shrine with a pained yet glazed expression.

For the new kids:
The shrine itself is a small, round building made of bluish-grey stone. The building is perhaps 15 feet tall and about 20 feet in diameter. A 5 foot section, where a door probably should stand, is missing from one side. Within, it can be seen that the slightly domed roof is made completely of translucent tiles in shades of blue and green. A copper sconce, aged to green, sits on either side of the doorway, glowing brightly with bluish-white magical light.

Inside the shrine, there is a curved continuous bench along the wall. Looking over the floor, it can be seen that the marble is one large piece, veined with green, that has been etched or carved in a repeating pattern of roses with heart-shaped leaves. A 1 foot tall, three dimensional copy of that same rose hangs suspended in midair about 5 feet up at the center of the shrine in a beam of blue light.

kariokie
2007-11-09, 07:38 AM
Getty

She lets both J'Lant's incredibly ignorant statement and Pleshnaril's antics pass her by. Neither seemed aware in the slightest of the severity of the situation.

When she steps inside the shrine, Getty bows her head and murmurs a short prayer, both for the keeping of Mirallien's soul and for forgiveness for allowing her death to pass. Looking up once again, she clears her throat, then speaks. "We're sorry about Mirallien, Lorrylith. We're going to go kill the bitch that did this. We know where she is."

Eratosthenes
2007-11-09, 08:50 AM
Tom

Shrines - indeed all things holy - made Tom nervous. In his years growing up, he didn't think there was a single time he'd gone to the shrine of his own volition.

This was no exception, nevermind the circumstances they were there under. Tom elects to merely nod his head, and stay slightly behind Getty. His eyes sometimes dart over to the floating rose, as if he expects it to come to life or something.

North
2007-11-09, 03:02 PM
Plesh

Ooooh pretty. Plesh resists the urge to fly into the light and touch the floating rose. Well maybe just get a closer look. That wouldnt hurt. Well maybe it would. It is magic after all. But its so pretty....

dauphinous
2007-11-09, 09:35 PM
The elf nods absently at first. He snaps his attention to Getty, though, as soon as the word 'kill' comes out of her mouth. His face, which has a few light wrinkles in places that suggest he is accustomed to smiling quite a bit, hardens into a scowl. "She was pregnant. We'd finally managed-" An angry, smoldering fire burns in his eyes and he stands up swiftly and gracefully, cutting off the words before he says anything else. The dress is clutched in one hand so tightly that his fist is white from the effort.

Lorrylith nods once. "Come with me." He just walks away, not waiting for anyone to say or do anything else, and not looking back to see if anyone is following him. He goes straight to his shop and the door flies open when he gets about 10 feet away. Without pausing there, he walks straight inside.

The shop is fairly small, only about 10 feet wide and 15 feet long. The walls are covered by shelving, and those shelves have numerous bottles, small pieces of jewelry, and small knickknacky objects. There is a stand in one corner holding a suit of fine chain armor with a greenish cast to it. A glass case separates you all from four daggers, two short swords, and one longsword. Each is beautiful in its own right, and made with an ivy leaf motif to it.

He stops and gently lays the dress on a stool so it drapes over it, then just looks at it, one hand hovering just above it. Without looking up, he says in a half choked, half forceful voice, "What kind of weapons do you use?"

kariokie
2007-11-09, 09:45 PM
Getty

Getty seems equally grim. Once in a while in the past, people went too far and something had to be done. Perhaps now the "something" was a little more severe than it had been when she was a teenager, but the feeling was the same. "Small weapons. Short sword, dagger. Light crossbow. Tom uses a hammer or magic. Don't know much about the other two."

MOD
2007-11-09, 10:16 PM
J'Lant

Meekly standing before the grief and anger stricken elf J'Lant gulps, "Well I generally use this 'eavy mace, but I am not picky. Whatever you have to offer will be fine."

Can J'Lant tell if Telekinesis was used on the door or if it was magic?

dauphinous
2007-11-10, 08:07 AM
Lorrylith nods and pulls himself away from the dress. There is visible effort in the movement, and his expression is both pained and angry at the same time. He opens the side of the glass case and pulls out all four daggers and both shortswords, setting them on top of the case. Then he bends over, disappearing for a few moments. When he stands, he has one heavy mace in each hand and lays both gently on the case as well. He repeats the movement, this time setting out a light crossbow and a case of bolts. The ten bolts in the case each have a ring painted around the fletching end in one of five different colors: white, blue, yellow, brown, red.

He points to each dagger, speaking one word at each, "Fire. Poison. Acid. Sonic." Then at each shortsword, "Increases fighting prowess. Increases speed." Then at each mace, "Electricity. Cold." Then at the crossbow and bolts, "Increases fighting prowess. Two bolts dispel active spells. Two bolts do a slow effect. Two are electricity, two are sonic, two are fire." He finally looks up, and right at Getty. "That suit of armor is elven chain, enhanced to provide protection from acid. Used, but in good condition. That is the only armor I have. Take it. Take all of this that you can use."

He turns away, not waiting for a response, and pulls down a silver large ring from a hook on the wall, maybe 4 inches in diameter, that is being used to hold probably 30 rings of finger size, about one third silver, one third gold, and one third coppery. He unhooks the clasp holding it closed and hesitates, but only for a moment. Then he pulls off four silver rings and sets them on the counter. "These help with defense."

He didn't appear to actually do anything at all to make the door open. TK is essentially undetectable and no one is doing any detecting of magic, so no, you can't tell.
In order of mention:
Daggers: +2d6 fire damage, 1d3 Str damage primary only, +2d6 acid damage, +2d6 sonic damage
Shortswords: +2, activate 1/day to gain one extra standard action while wielding it for 10 rounds (standard action to activate)
Maces: +1 and +1d6 electrical damage, +2d6 cold damage
Light crossbow: +2
Bolts: dispels one active spell on target at caster level 6, reduces target's move speed by 15 feet per round, +4 points electrical damage, +4 points sonic damage, +4 points fire damage
Armor: Elven chain +1 with 10 points acid resistance
Rings: +1 deflection bonus to AC

Save DC for poison and slow is 17. For anyone who has forgotten or doesn't know, weapons and ammunition do not have an enhancement bonus unless it is specifically stated that they do.

kariokie
2007-11-10, 06:55 PM
Getty

"Pleshnaril, what do you fight with? Is that crossbow is too large for you?" Getty takes one of the short swords, the poisoned dagger, and a ring to start. She looks over the armor with her sharp eyes, "Any of the rest of you know how to wear that?"

MOD
2007-11-10, 09:53 PM
J'Lant

Looking regretfully at the elf and then at Getty an almost guilty look crosses his face, "I can use that armour, Getty. Unless someone else would like to wear it." Says J'Lant his eyes passing over the leaf inlaid acidic dagger he grasped in his hand. Looking over the two maces J'Lant takes the mace that crackles with the power of electricity as well as one of the rings.

North
2007-11-11, 07:56 PM
Plesh

Ive grown up using my bow. But I think most of this is too big for me. The tiny pixie says sadly. He picks up the sonic dagger trying to see if he can wield one of the smallest weapons. I dont suppose you have anything in a more less big size?

Im not sure if Plesh can use anything but the rings. Im assuming everything is human sized?

dauphinous
2007-11-11, 08:28 PM
Lorrylith nods. "I have small weapons." He stoops to the floor and pulls open a trap door, then climbs down a ladder. His footsteps can be heard, and the sounds of paper rustling and wood creaking and metal scraping on metal, then he returns with a bag. Out of it, he pulls two daggers, a shortsword, and a quiver of arrows, all small sized. He gives a similarly abrupt explanation of each.

"You can also take these healing potions," he pulls four flasks down off a shelf and sets them with everything else. "Two doses in each flask."


Small stuff:
daggers: +2d6 cold damage, +2
shortsword: +1 and +2d3 fire damage
arrows: 10 at +2, 5 at +1 and +2 points sonic damage, 5 at +4 points electrical damage

Healing potions: 2d4+4 hit points healed per dose

North
2007-11-11, 09:35 PM
Plesh

My thanks Lorrylith. Know that justice will be done. Nothing will ever make up for your tragic loss. But these will mete out vengeance to all those involved. This I vow to you. Plesh says solemnly in Elven to Lorrylith. Grabbing a ring and a potion he arms himself with both of the daggers and shortsword and fills his quiver with the arrows. That dwarf and the gnolls will pay.

kariokie
2007-11-12, 09:36 AM
Getty

Getty easily understands the words of Pleshnaril's oath, but feels no need to make one of her own. She'd said exactly her intent from the start, and anyone who saw her eyes would know that she truly meant to kill the dwarven woman.

"Since it is of elven make, it is possible I could use it as well. Do you commonly engage in hand-to-hand combat, J'Lant?"

Eratosthenes
2007-11-12, 11:33 AM
Tom

Tom doesn't understand the meaning of the pixie's words, but he knows that that is the most solemn the spritely fellow has been, and can hazard a guess. Tom merely nods, and looks over the items the elf brings up.

"I reckon I can take one of them there knives, and one of them fancy rings."

MOD
2007-11-12, 12:46 PM
J'Lant
Standing back a little from the menagerie of magic items seemingly heaped at their collective feet or head depending on where Plesh was at the moment.

"Well, 'and to 'and combat is what I like to do Getty, but from a safe distance away. You can take the armour, Getty, you will probably get more use out of it than I will." Says J'Lant solemnly picking up a potion on the table.

"Perhaps what your wearing is better than what I 'ave on." He says running his hands across the chain shirt covering his torso.

kariokie
2007-11-13, 04:26 PM
Getty

Getty looks at her beat-up leather armor -- patched and burnt and generally in questionable repair. It had been one of the first things she'd purchased after burning her shop down. "Unless your current armor is constructed from marshmallows and barbed wire, I would say that it is far superior to mine, J'Lant." Getty collects the armor and a potion, as well as the crossbow and bolts. "We'll meet at dawn. Obtain ample supplies to be gone for at least a week. We may need to spend time planning our attack." She then looks at the grief-striken elf. "If you wish to join us, you are more than welcome."

dauphinous
2007-11-13, 09:57 PM
Lorrylith looks down and shakes his head. "I'm no good at fighting," he says quietly. "And it's not really what she'd want." He looks up again, the fire in his eyes waging a losing war with sorrow. "She was so gentle and- And it's just not what she would want from me. Good luck to you."

kariokie
2007-11-14, 04:32 PM
Getty

Getty nods. "No. You're right." Grabbing the gear she's selected, Getty starts to head out. Turning back to the others, she says, "Tomorrow. Dawn. I'll meet you at the house."

Getty's going to go get a room, and do some alchemy wackiness, then sleep.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-14, 04:56 PM
Tom

Tom looks down at the dagger he chose, then back at the floating rose. He tried to think about killing the dwarf. He couldn't do it. He was angry at the vile person who'd done this to a nice lady. But he couldn't imagine himself doing it. Numbly, he just says, "Awright." Looking at the pixie and J'lant, he mutters unceremoniously, "You two a'comin'? Reckon they expect us for dinner soon."

Tom will spend the evening quietly, enjoying the warmth and noise of his home, but somewhat morose, thinking on the death of the elven lady, the dwarf, and his cousin who couldn't speak because of some darn goblin or kobold or what not. It puts him in a bad mood, as it was like bad things were always happening, but very little good came out of it.

MOD
2007-11-14, 11:19 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant quietly waits while the group leaves hoping for a moment alone with Lorrylith.

"I know you 'ave been through a great deal Lorrylith, perhaps you would like some company tonight?" J'Lant asks sincerely.

J'Lant will spend a quite evening with Lorrylith, if he agrees, offering company, conversation, and commiseration. He will head to bed early enough to recover from his over exertion.

If Lorrylith declines J'Lant will spend the evening at Tom's house enjoying good food and company. He will head to bed early enough to recover from his over exertion.

North
2007-11-15, 04:21 AM
Plesh

Well if we are heading out tomorrow then I suppose we mine as well enjoy a nice meal and pie. Plesh says casually. It would be rude to not eat Toms moms meal after all. And I know Tom misses his family. Plesh jokes at Tom. Plesh thinks to himself Pie pie pie pie pie pie....

dauphinous
2007-11-15, 07:49 AM
Lorrylith declines J'Lant's company politely and just lets the door close behind all of you. Getty can get a room without an issue and set to her alchemy. Tom's home is full of people, and food, and laughter, and staring. There is plenty of pie.

Those at the farm get the living room to sleep in, with couches that are much more comfortable than they look for beds. Tom can bunk with a couple of brothers if he wants, but he'd have to share the bed.

In the morning, breakfast is ready at about dawn, and there is activity at least an hour before that. By dawn, it is impossible to sleep anymore in the living room because there is too much noise. Breakfast is cinnamon biscuits, eggs, bacon, and apples. There are at least 30 people living here , and most of them are men or boys. All the females of the household are quite clearly married into it. It's tough to count them properly, as they don't seem to stay put for very long. The kitchen is a buzz of constant activity for about a half hour, with people coming and going, and shoveling food as quickly as possible, some of them while hopping into boots or corralling young boys.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-15, 09:49 AM
Tom

Tom spends some time reacquainting himself with the hustle and bustle of life in his old domecile. He had at times longed for the safety of home, while they had been on the road. But now that he was back, he found that it just wasn't...the same. It was like a part of him had moved on, and he just wouldn't be able to settle back in to the humdrum of ordinary life.

Then again, he had never really fit in in the first place. His old hidey places were still around. It really hadn't been *that* long since he had left, but seeing those places made it feel like centuries ago that he lived here.

Come morning, Tom finds himself rising with the farm. His sleep schedule was the first thing to readjust. Rousing J'lant and Plesh, he packs away a few bits of food and hardtack, and kisses his ma farewell, letting her know that he's off to see what can be done about some bad people.

Tom meets Getty in the town, looking carefully for singed eyebrows or missing fingers.

North
2007-11-17, 03:29 AM
Plesh

Plesh goes back to the farm with Tom and J'Lant. He had a lively night avoiding being stepped on by Toms clan. But it was all worth it! At last he had finally acheived his goal.

And the Pie was delicious. Sweet tasty glory. The wait and agony over constantly being thwarted in his food quest heightened the experience. Plesh gorged till he felt he might explode and then ate more.

Victory thy name is pie! Plesh said to himself before drifting off to sleep.

The next morning Plesh woke up reluctantly. As he traveled into the town with the others he wondered if Getty had made anything exlpodey.

MOD
2007-11-17, 04:05 AM
J'Lant

Lazily following after Plesh after having been abruptly awakened by Tom from what had been a most interesting dream involving cats, elves and pie. J'Lant, still half asleep, floats along a cinnamon biscuit, his fourth one of the morning, whilst dragging the reins of his horse Muffin somewhat haphazardly in his hand.

Taking a bite out his biscuit, " 'ey Chom, chou fink chat Roarf chun sheee uth?" swallowing the remains of his biscuit, "you looked at 'er right, with magic, can she not do the same to us?"

kariokie
2007-11-17, 08:45 AM
Getty

First she had to shop. It wasn't easy finding everything she needed, but she found most of it and rigged the rest. She stayed up half the night working on some items, then slept fitfully. Getty had the opportunity to prevent this and she hadn't taken it. She'd decided to trust the law to handle matters it just wasn't prepared to handle.

In the morning, she's undergone a transformation of sorts. All fingers and both eyebrows prove to be intact. She's now wearing the elven chain, soft black clothing under and over, with a black cloak drawn around her. Across her chest and around her thin waist are belts, the tools of her trade – lockpicks, smokesticks, daggers – hung from them. Her expression is as dour as her attire.

"She does not perceive us as any sort of threat, J'Lant, therefore it is unlikely she will investigate us. She has managed to manipulate and defeat us on several occasions. Even in this instance, when we captured her, it was only through the assistance of Silas. She still managed to escape her confinement within days."

Getty looks at J'Lant and then Pleshnaril with her sharp brown eyes. "This woman is deadly. Therefore, the antics conducted during our previous expedition – flying or walking ahead, interacting with items without warning – will not be acceptable. Do you understand? If you risk my life needlessly, or Tom's, I will regard yours as worthless."

MOD
2007-11-17, 03:57 PM
J'Lant

Reaching into his saddlebags J'Lant pulls out a roll of parchment, ink and a pen. Scribbling furiously J'Lant hands the message to Tom, Getty and Pleshnaril to read.


Handwritten note in Elvish
I do not know anything about magic but would it not be wise for us to consider the possibility that the dwarf has been spying on us? I think that if we can spy on her, she can and probably is spying on us. Considering that safety is our number one priority we should at least presume that she is spying on us and take necessary precautions.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-17, 04:38 PM
Tom

Tom nods at Getty's warning to the others. Plesh could be expected to be flighty, but J'lant had been rather impulsive himself in those caves.

Tom shrugs at J'lant's note, "If you'n be passing me notes, at least make it somethin' I can rightly read."

When the topic of scrying and the dwarf comes up, he'll note "If she has been, she knows by now we know she's flown the coop. I don't rightly see much we can do about it at this juncture."

Tom grins, adding, "And she didn't strike me none as someone who's overly cautious or paranoid. I think bullheaded or conceited more fits the bill in her case."

North
2007-11-18, 08:49 AM
Plesh

At Gettys talking down to him Plesh vanishes. His earlier happiness had diminished. He turns invisible as he considers Gettys words trying to figure out if she was right about him or not.

Hmmf. Ive been a scout in the forest for years! We took her group down! Who is she to talk to me like that! What antics! Im an excellent scout! Not my fault the stupid tunnel was trapped. Who does that? They ask you to explore and then they yell at you for it. Humans!

Well, maybe I could have focused more. It was just so strange not being in the forest anymore. The tunnels were so bizarre and unnatural. I panicked when we were closed in there, yeah. Who wouldnt? Well they didnt. True. Maybe theyre related to dwarves? Always underground. They like it.

Its your own fault I guess. You wanted to see what humans are like. If you cant stand the cold get out of the river. Well lets try this human style I guess. Be all serious and boring. This dwarf is supposed to be all big n scary bad. Fine then. I can be bad n scary too!

Well if this dwarfy tries to see you she wont see me. You wont see me either but Ill be following you... Plesh says to Tom then falling back to trail the group.

kariokie
2007-11-18, 01:55 PM
Getty

Getty looks at the piece of paper and reaches to her belt for a tindertwig. Striking it, she sets the paper alight with a wicked grin. Ooooh. Fire. Blowing out the tindertwig, the grin dissolves. "I encourage you to consider this in a logical fashion. Tom used a percentage of his resources yesterday to even divine the location of the miscreant for, say, five minutes. Shall we assume, twenty percent, Tom? Magic likely does not function in such a manner that would allow her persistent viewing of our behavior, unless she possesses a magical device and a substantial amount of time and has no need to do anything else. Additionally, as we have said: she views us as idiots. If she is looking for Tom or I, she is doing so to come and exact her revenge. She would not be expecting an assault from us."

"However, if you insist: Tom, what are our options as it comes to preventing magical scrying?"

MOD
2007-11-18, 02:35 PM
J'Lant

"Getty! That was expensive and there was a whole other side to write on! Pretty though," J'Lant exclaims putting the rest of his writing implements safely away from Getty's pyrotechnic grasp, "Well I think that strategically Plesh should remain invisible for the rest of our journey. The element of whatever limited surprise we 'ave is still a sound strategy. Sound good?"

Eratosthenes
2007-11-18, 03:49 PM
Tom

Tom shrugs, "I reckoned Plesh there was gonna be in-visuhble anyhow, any which way. And as for resources, I'd say it was a considerable bit more than one fifth, Getty. More like most. It plumb tuckered me out. Now, she's I'm sure a right more powerful wizard than me, but still. Let's get a'gettin' on."

kariokie
2007-11-18, 04:01 PM
Getty

She beams as Tom speaks. "Young Tom, I did not take you for an individual aware of percentages and fractions! Anyhow, let us indeed be on our way. If you could please indicate the proper direction." Her expression turns serious again, and she grabs Heecor's lead in preparation to set out.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-18, 05:15 PM
Tom

As they start out, Tom recounts his schooling, "Yea, that had to have been the darn near worst class I had. I think Miss Grange made us do our arith-me-tick some near five and a hunnerd lines apiece. Us kids done stuck enough frogs and toadies in her drawers that she left town after not more'n a year, thank goodness!"

dauphinous
2007-11-19, 06:53 AM
The walk through the trees is quiet and pleasant. In the throes of early summer, the trees are folly foliaged, the birds sing incessantly, and if one wanted berries, they are plentiful. There is a vague sense of being watched, but not with malevolence. It is simply as if the trees had eyes and watch with interest, or perhaps bemusement, as the humans crunch through the undergrowth.

There are occasional fey giggles to be heard, but they do not reveal themselves, nor do they offer harassment. A glimpse of grey fur is caught to the side, more than once, but this also proves to be something that has no interest in interfering. As the sun dips low in the sky, the fort has yet to be reached, and there is not yet any sign of the type of clear-cutting, either recently or within the past few years, that one might expect to find near a place surrounded by a wooden palisade.

MOD
2007-11-19, 07:48 PM
J'Lant

Taking out a trail ration J'Lant munches as they travel. Having nothing special to say J'Lant keeps a lookout for trouble.

kariokie
2007-11-20, 04:15 AM
Getty

"Let us make our encampment. We should be very careful, and take all possible precautions. Is any individual here more adept than I at determining a camp site?" Getty begins to look around while it's still light for a defensible place to sleep for the evening. "Why not right here, in the middle of this bear's den? I'm sure it won't be back any time soon."

Survival! (1d20+1=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1382953) Sometimes I have absolutely no idea how to RP some especially idiotic 1s.

MOD
2007-11-20, 05:27 AM
J'Lant

Looking at the den Getty pointed out. "Well, the bear's den would keep any rain from getting on us," J'Lant points out helpfully, pondering for the moment on the size of the den, "I do not think our animals will fit well in there, perhaps a more exposed postion over 'ere. That way we can see the bear before it arrives at the den.," J'Lant points to a location, a nice clearing about twenty feet from the bear's den.

Survival. (1d20+4=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1382984) Well, at least it wasn't a 1.

North
2007-11-20, 10:25 AM
Plesh

Humans.....
Actually we just passed a perfect spot to camp about five minutes back. There was a clearing by a stream and no animal paths near it. Pleshs voice drifts to the group. And I think I saw a dead tree on the ground for firewood.
Survival (1d20-1=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1383161)

kariokie
2007-11-20, 10:43 AM
Getty

Getty turns around and heads back towards where Pleshnaril saw the campsite. "I suppose that is a serviceable campsite if one does not possess a desire to be eaten by our omnivorous friends of the Ursidae family."

"How is this for time management: I will take a four hour watch and each of you take a two hour watch. Unless you do not require a full eight hours of rest to regain your abilities, J'Lant."

Eratosthenes
2007-11-20, 11:45 AM
Tom

Tom follows along quietly as the others haggle over a campsite. He was more than happy to just pick any ol'tree and hunker down beneath it. And Plesh seemed to know quite a bit more about woodslore than himself, so he was thoroughly inclined to follow him.

"That sounds like a mighty fine use of my time. I'll take morning watch. I'm gonna go see about gettin' some bearings."

Tom wanders off a short ways, and sits down to concentrate. During the walk, he had been thinking of his magic, and doing some self-awareness study. He had found that his magic itself was changing. Before, he could do plumb near anything he imagined, but Tom could feel himself slipping towards madness. He had to get control over it. Fortunately, he felt a path he could take. Some of the rituals he had learned from Marik he found actually felt natural.

The trade in was a loss of potential, but with his new focus, he might avoid the loss of himself.

Seating himself, Tom begins by invoking a quick mantra to focus himself. He then tries concentrating on different things: the rug in the fort, the caltrops, the wood logs in the fort walls. Casting his mind out, he looks for these things, as well as the dwarf. He has a hard time sifting thru the images his mind pulls up, and after a while gives up, instead focusing on the dwarf. He searches out around himself for her presence.


Tom's going to work some divination, but first this disclaimer:

Magic system has changed, so Tom won't be doing any healing from now on!

(I originally started with a spell to boost Charisma, but realized I already had an item to do so)
Spell #1: Fail (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=3050): Locate Rug DC 18 range 3200 ft (5+7+3x3-1 Hands Free -2 2 rounds) 4 SP (10/14 Remaining)
Spell #2: Same (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=3051) 4 SP 6/14 Remaining
Spell #3: Success (http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=3052)Locate Creature: Dwarf Long Range (?) DC 15 (5+13-3 Hands Free, 2 Rounds) 3 SP 3/14 Remaining

MOD
2007-11-20, 02:52 PM
J'Lant

"We can each take a two 'our watch, I am fine as long as I do not push myself to far." J'Lant says to Getty as the head towards the campsite that Plesh discovered.


J'Lant happily begins to set up camp. Preparing the area much as he had their last outdoor campsite. Sweeping the area free of twigs and underbrush with his ability. J'Lant reaches for some wood to begin a cheery fire when a thought occurs to him. "I think we should go without a fire tonight. It attracts too much attention."

kariokie
2007-11-21, 06:35 AM
Getty

"While I will miss the opportunity of further combustion of your writing materials, J'Lant, I do feel it's wise at this juncture to forgo light." Getty begins to carefully set out her gear, then creates a perimeter around the camp, around 20' out, mixing tripwires hooked to her own tools that will clatter when activated, caltrops, and dry twigs that will snap loudly to help ensure their safety through the night. Next to her bedroll she loads her crossbow with a fire bolt, puts two sunrods next to her as well, and places the poisoned dagger under the backpack she uses as a pillow.

She keeps an eye out for Tom, pointing him through one of the safe paths she left when he returns.

Getty has a +4 to Craft: Trapmaking. I assume taking 10 and having a 14 is plenty for simple traps like this?

Watches (so Tom gets 8 hours, which he requires):
J'Lant: 2 hours
Getty: 4 hours
Pleshnaril: 2 hours
Tom: 2 hours

Eratosthenes
2007-11-21, 08:24 AM
Tom

Tom returns looking rather peaked, but grinning to himself. Careful to stay on the path Getty indicates, he plops himself down near the fire, laying on his back to gaze up at the sky and foliage.

"Welp, she's close. I couldn't tell fer sure where, but she's nearby. I think we'd better be careful though, in case, as J'lant said, she's some way of detectin' magicks."

MOD
2007-11-21, 12:20 PM
J'Lant

Getting ready for his shift at watch J'Lant moves to Muffin, searching in the packs at her side for something he had bought earlier. Pulling out an earth toned cloak, new and wrinkle free, he stores his old sky blue cloak. Still searching from amongst his things J'Lant grasps two sturdy shoes. Shucking his old he pulls on the new ones and skulks about the non-trap-laid area of camp a little more quietly than he used too.

Finding himself a place to hide at the base of a nearby tree J'Lant attempts to conceal himself in the leaves and undergrowth.

" 'ey, Getty," J'Lant calls from his hiding spot,"Can you do the same to the trees as you did the ground? If Plesh can fly over your traps someone else could do the same."

Hide! (1d20+9=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1385477) Why can't I stop rolling 2s!

kariokie
2007-11-21, 12:44 PM
Getty

"I do not possess sufficient rope, and none of it has been blackened, so it will be easier to spot if at eye-level. She primarily uses gnolls to do her bidding, who do not possess the ability to fly. If she circumvents the traps, it will be via teleportation, we we have seen her do before as well."

North
2007-11-21, 02:39 PM
Plesh

Before settling down to sleep Plesh asks Getty. Are the trees safe for me to do my watch or are they trapped too?

dauphinous
2007-11-22, 09:16 AM
The evening and night pass uneventfully. As the creatures of the forest become accustomed to the group's presence, they slowly resume their normal chatter. The night is filled with chitterings, chirpings, squawkings, and the like by the time it is fully dark.

The first light of morning promises a dry, sunny, and warm day.

North
2007-11-22, 11:52 AM
Plesh

Plesh wakes up tired from having to take his watch in the middle of his sleep.

Hey Tom, so how far away is it? I was thinking last night that I could fly up and see the lay of the land from here. Maybe see the badguys or anything else from up there.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-22, 03:45 PM
Tom

Tom rubs his chin at Plesh's suggestion. He had spent the last part of his watch cooking up some bacon and bread for breakfast, and was now cleaning up.

"That's a darn good ideer, Plesh. The fort or whatever should be right obvious, after all. Why don't ya go up, and let us know what you see. I don't reckon it's too much farther."

kariokie
2007-11-22, 06:28 PM
Getty

Getty looks up from the caltrops she's collecting and tripwires she's untying. "An excellent machination, Pleshnaril. We know it is wooden edifice."

North
2007-11-23, 12:20 PM
Plesh

Invisibly Plesh flies up into the air. Weaving through the canopy of the trees until he reaches the top. He goes higher and higher straight up until hes over a hundred feet up in the air. In a lazy circle over the group he surveys the land.

((If he cant see anything from that height he'll get more altitude if necessary))

dauphinous
2007-11-23, 01:44 PM
Pleshnaril breaks through the top of the canopy about 75 feet up. The sun is bright and there are a few birds flying around. A few puffs of white cloud sit in the sky, which is a bright blue today. As he turns around to take it all in and look for the fort in question, he notices a break in the canopy along the same line that you walked all day yesterday. It is not that far away, maybe 500 feet. The empty spot seems quite large, probably big enough to hold a small village.

Aside from that break in the canopy, the forest extends for a good distance - at least several miles - in every direction.

North
2007-11-23, 03:31 PM
Plesh

Spotting the break in the forest, Plesh descends back to the others.

Were close, real close. Theres a gap in the forest maybe five hundred feet away the way were going now. I couldnt see anything without getting closer but its big. Small village big. We might want to consider not heading straight there, but coming in from the side maybe? I can get a better idea once we get closer.

MOD
2007-11-23, 06:05 PM
J'Lant

As Plesh descends, J'Lant floats over some of Tom's delicious bacon and a bit of bread. Munching on breakfast J'Lant sits content to observe until the group is ready to depart.

kariokie
2007-11-24, 07:10 AM
Getty

"Thank you, Pleshnaril. However, as we have not established the front of the establishment, it is likewise difficult to discern where the side is located. Tom, J'Lant, stay here. Pleshnaril, with me. Don't move ahead." Getty walks in the direction Pleshnaril indicated for a short distance, looking and listening for signs of life. Once she grows close to the clearing, she begins to move much more slowly, carefully examining each place she steps and the air in front of her for tripwires, pits and other troubles.


Spot! (1d20+8=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1389706) (It's called Search in invisible castle, but spot and listen were coming first and +8 is their modifier. Whoops.)
Listen! (1d20+8=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1389708)
Hide! (1d20+10=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1389710)
Move Silently! (1d20+10=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1389712)
Search! (1d20+10=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1389714)
In FIVE rolls I couldn't get above a 10 once? Ugh. I'm taking 10 from now on.

dauphinous
2007-11-25, 07:46 PM
Getty creeps off in the direction indicated, moving from tree to tree, even though she can't be sure what direction someone who might see her could lie. After some three minutes of choosing her steps carefully, Getty begins to be able to see what is probably a wooden wall of some sort. At a guess, there is a gap between the edge of the wood and this wall of probably not more than 30 or 40 feet. As she draws near, though, she chances to notices a pair of gnolls stalking through the wood not far form the edge of it.

The two gnolls are wearing studded leather armor and carrying greataxes. They each have a string around their neck with a tooth or bone of some sort as a pendant. They move relatively quietly, just as Getty does, and are moving from west to east. It is a reasonable guess that they are on patrol. They do not seem to have noticed Getty yet.

--

Perhaps a minute after Getty has stalked off into the wood, Pleshnaril and J'Lant both happen to notice that there is someone perched up in one of the trees nearby. The figure is well hidden, and about 30 feet off the ground, so no details of him (or her) are apparent. The tree it sits in is about 30 feet away from the campsite.

MOD
2007-11-25, 09:21 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant continues to munch on his bacon with gusto. Looking at Tom's feet J'Lant carves out a message into the dirt that only Tom can see.

Dirt Scrawled Message
We are being watched. (With an arrow pointing to tree the person is hiding at.)

J'Lant will ready an action to attempt a grapple on the person watching if he(she) gets close enough.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-25, 09:52 PM
Tom

Tom reads J'lant's message, then scuffs it away with his foot, acting as if he's just idly scuffling around. "Yup, that was mighty fine. I reckon I'd best go heed a call of nature," Tom peers quizzically at J'lant, before moving towards the tree J'lant indicated. He hoped he'd get the rather obtuse reference - was it one of those tree folk that'd been watching them as they came in?

Moving around the tree, opposite of J'lant, Tom proceeds to act as if he was performing the rites, sighing loudly to himself as he glances left, right, then leans his head back to look up into the tree.

kariokie
2007-11-26, 02:28 PM
Getty

She crouches stock-still by a tree, carefully watching the two gnolls walk. Holding her loaded crossbow at the ready, she sights the head of the closer one. Getty's finger hovers over the trigger, but she doesn't pull it yet, instead waiting to see what happens next.

They come too close or spot Getty one of them's getting a bolt-to-the-head.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-26, 02:49 PM
Tom

Sighing to himself, Tom peers up into the tree, calling out rather matter-of-factly, "You gunna come on down from there, or are we gunna have to shake you out of that tree?"

Tom glances pointedly at J'lant, and himself steels himself for whatever mischief this interloper may be up to.

North
2007-11-26, 04:40 PM
Plesh

Plesh was still asleep from after his watch last night. In the hustle of breakfast and Getty leaving everyone had assumed that the pixie had gone with her. Not seeing him meant nothing as Plesh was typically always invisible.

Toms calling up the tree combined with the morning lateness finally woke up the dozing pixie.

Whats going *yaaaaawn* Mumbles Plesh, who after a couple moments peices together the situation.

Silently grabbing his bow and arrows he flys up to a different tree, and dissapears in its branches to see what he can see.

Move Silently (1d20+12=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393350)
Hide (1d20+14=33) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393352)
Spot (1d20+6=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393354) Listen (1d20+6=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393357)

dauphinous
2007-11-26, 05:49 PM
Getty

The gnolls move past Getty, but one stops, sniffing the air with a hand thrown out to stop his partner. He grunts something in a deep, guttural voice, still sniffing the air.

The other one says something back, in a dubious tone of voice. He sniffs the air, too.

---
Tom, J'Lant, Pleshnaril

There is a quiet swearword delivered in Elven, and the figure produces a bow, arrow nocked and pointed at Tom. It speaks in Elven, and the voice is light, though irritated, and female. "Can I not keep a watch over the wood in peace? I have no intention of coming down there, but I'm not going to shoot you as long as you leave me alone."

North
2007-11-26, 05:56 PM
Plesh

Hmm better play this safe, in case this Elf goes all crazy too. Plesh sneaks and flys onto a branch higher up in the strangers tree.

Move Silently (1d20+12=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393508)
Hide (1d20+14=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1393510)

kariokie
2007-11-26, 06:54 PM
Getty

Her finger moves a little closer to the crossbow trigger, but she doesn't fire yet. Getty knew she needed to either not engage, or take them both down very quickly, and she was alone. Annoyed at her lack of control over the situation, she starts to will the gnolls to make up their lackwit minds. Come here and kill me or go away. My leg is starting to cramp.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-26, 08:09 PM
Tom

Tom grins, despite himself. "Well I am rightfully grateful you ain't gunna shoot me. That would make for a rather unpleasant morning, after all. Mind now, what would you be watching for? Folk get a bit nervous, you know, having strangers lookin' at'em from the trees."

dauphinous
2007-11-26, 09:17 PM
Getty

A few more grunts and the first one waves his hand in Getty's general direction, though not specifically at her. The second one grunts and whaps the first one in the shoulder. They begin to move on, though the first one looks back a couple of times before they disappear from sight.

---

Tom, J'Lant, Pleshnaril

Pleshnaril takes up an opposite position from the hiding figure. The bow remains readied with an arrow pointed at Tom, but it doesn't look like it's is taut, just held ready to be pulled and arrow released. "If anyone should be asking questions about intentions, it's me. You are clearly not denizens of the wood, and I clearly am. So if you tell me what you're doing here, maybe I'll tell you what I'm doing here."

Eratosthenes
2007-11-26, 11:00 PM
Tom

Muttering outloud to no one in particular, perhaps only to himself, Tom exclaims, "It ain't no wonder no one likes going into the woods."

Turning his face upwards towards the strange wood-creature with the bow, Tom explains, "You sure are a right curmudgeony sprite, ain't ya? Here we are, mindin' our own business except for a hike on thru these woods - has that suddenly gone and done been a crime that I ain't heard of? - and we got the trees pointin' weapons at us. I don't see none of us here so much as draw a weapon on you."

Tom begins pacing, working up a right rant, "Well, listen up, we ain't the ones causin' trouble here, are we? Did we not put our fire out in a proper way? Did we lean against one of your trees the wrong way? If we weren't meant to come thru here, maybe - just maybe - you shoulda put up a sign or somethin' lettin' us know, instead of shootin' anyone who plumb near wanders thru this bloomin' copse of trees."

"What are we doin' here? Since you're so keen to know, we're here to teach a very bad ol'dwarf that it ain't fittin' to go around killin' people, sometimes twice even. You know, given your nature, I'd say you and her'd get along just fine, like peaches and cream. You'd hang around the trees shootin' unsuspectin' folk in the back, while she goes around slittin' their throats. Bah!"

With that, Tom grabs his pack, throws his pan - unwashed - inside it, and stomps away from the camp, generally in the direction of the fort. He vaguely remembered that they had to come at it from the West, and there was trouble - traps or somethin' - around the fort to be wary of. But really, he just wanted to stomp off in a good mad.

North
2007-11-27, 12:10 AM
Plesh

Plesh remains silent and at guard for treachery.

MOD
2007-11-27, 01:25 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant listens to Tom's rant with a quiet bemusement and hastily packs up his things, grabbing Heecor and Muffin. He trails after Tom keeping a wary eye upon the elf.

Once out of earshot of the elf, " 'ad some bad experiences in a forest Tom?"

kariokie
2007-11-27, 05:10 AM
Getty

Still hiding, Getty counts, giving the gnolls a little more time to be truly gone before she continues her scouting. Zero, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ay, bee, cee, dee, eee, eff, ten! Emerging from her hiding spot, Getty moves quietly on towards the fort, hoping to get a better look at it.


Search, Move Silently, Hide, in that order. (1d20+10=24, 1d20+10=20, 1d20+10=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394184)
Listen, Spot, in that order. (1d20+8=20, 1d20+8=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394186)

dauphinous
2007-11-27, 08:38 AM
Getty

now able to creep up to the edge of the wood, Getty can see that there is a 30 foot gap between the last of the trees and a 15 foot tall wood wall. It is quite clearly a palisade, as opposed to the wall of a building, and made of a huge number of logs sticking up out of the ground. Each is cut to a point at the top, which must have taken someone ages to do. Just barely visible over the top is the top of some sort of stone structure. At a rough guess, it looks to be about 300 feet long or so. Maybe less, but not much less.

Between the trees and the wall is open space, filled with short grasses and old tree stumps. Likely many, if not all, of the logs used to build that wall had come from the trees in the space it now stands. The stumps are sheared fairly close to the ground, perhaps 1 foot high at the tallest, and a few here and there show signs of new shoots growing out of them. About 5 feet from the wall, there are no stumps, and the ground is bare of vegetation save a few small, scraggly weeds.

Wherever the access point is for this wall, it cannot be seen from here. There do not appear to be guard towers at any point in the wall, however, Getty does notice a gnollish head moving on the other side, with the top of his fur just about even with the pointed tops of the logs.

--

Tom, J'Lant, Pleshnaril

The figure stays where she is as Tom storms off and J'Lant follows. The bow disappears.

kariokie
2007-11-27, 10:36 AM
Getty

Caught up for a moment, Getty considers the methods used to construct the wall. Faaaaaaascinat- no, damnit, there's no time for that! Tightening her grip on her crossbow, Getty sets out in the direction the gnolls were walking. I'll circumnavigate the edifice- damnit, now I'm even starting to think like this! Just find the door. I just need to find the door.


Taking 10 on everything, meaning:
Search, Hide, Move Silently: 20
Spot, Listen: 18

Eratosthenes
2007-11-27, 10:44 AM
Tom

Tom walks a ways off into the woods, towards where Plesh had indicated the fort was to be. After a hundred yards or so, he stops, and responds to J'lant: "It just really gets my goat, how some of these forest folk seem to think they can do whatever they want, just 'cause there's a tree around...and yet don't bother tellin' us they intend to protect it. And yes, I've had a bad turn or two with wildlife."

The memories of the giant plant in that strange other-world still haunted him from time to time, not to mention the centaurs and the dryad. The centaurs were alright, though, once you got them talking. But that was the problem - they seemed to like to shoot first, then talk later.

Pausing in his march thru the forest, before getting too close, Tom tries to focus on contacting Getty. He had heard from stories that wizards could talk to people far away, and figured he may as well work on it, since he was supposed to be some sort of wizard.

Concentrating, he finds it easy to locate Getty in his mind. He decides to link up with Plesh as well. It's harder keeping two people in his mind, and when he tries to include J'lant, he finds he cannot; the contact continuously slips away. Thinking, he forces his thoughts to wing their way to Getty and Plesh: "Howdy! It's Tom! So...where are you?"

{
Move to within Medium range of Getty/the fort.
Message Getty and Plesh.
}

kariokie
2007-11-27, 10:50 AM
Getty

Getty turns around slowly, looking behind her. Then above her. Then behind the nearest tree. Then, finally, under one boot and then the other. "Tom?" Tom? Are you in my head? Her eyes cross with an effort to see inside her own head.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-27, 11:01 AM
Tom

"Ayup, it's me. I'm in your head! Hah! This is kinda neat!"

Tom spends a moment just reveling in the odd sensation of the magic, before coming back on point, "Oh yea, I should warn you. Something about caltrops, around the fort. And I think the door is on the west side. You alright over there? Hey Plesh - you should go back her up. See what you can see."

North
2007-11-27, 01:51 PM
Plesh

Your in our heads? Dont think about pie! Dammit! Ack! Uh I mean right now Im at the camp keeping an eye on your elf friend Tom. Um I can try and go meet up with Getty, but where is Getty?

MOD
2007-11-27, 04:08 PM
J'Lant

"That is unfortunate Tom, woodland creatures always seemed so peaceful. Tom could you do me a favor and take Muffin and Heecor's reins? I am going to make sure we are not followed."

Without waiting for a response J'Lant makes his way back to camp, trying his best to be stealthy. As soon as he arrives he begins to use his telekinetic ability to obscure the trail they had made from camp. Following the footsteps of Tom, Heecor, Muffin and himself back to Tom, J'Lant obscures the entire trail.


Hide! (1d20+9=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394968)
Move Silently! (1d20+9=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394970)

kariokie
2007-11-27, 05:10 PM
Getty

Fabulous, Tom. You're in my head and now I don't think there's any more room for calculus. No, wait... Getty thinks the image of a complex graph at Tom. ...Still there. Which way is west from where I am? Getty had a good sense of direction in towns, but without being able to sight the sun she's a little lost as to which way 'west' is at the moment.

Eratosthenes
2007-11-27, 05:54 PM
Tom

Tom absently takes the rains of the pack animals as he's assaulted by strange and complex images, often involving pies.

It is very confusing.

He finally manages to think out to the others, gesticulating with his free hand while he does so, "Plesh, Getty's over there. Getty, west is that way!"

North
2007-11-27, 07:28 PM
Plesh

Allright. I think I can find you then. If possible Getty make yourself visible from the air?

Plesh flies up and into the air. Just before he breaks through the canopy of the trees, the pixie tosses a copper coin from his pouch at the elf.

The faint sound of Pbbbbbbbbttttt can be heard by the careful observer.

kariokie
2007-11-28, 01:22 PM
Getty

My sincerest gratitude, young Tom. Getty heads in the direction Tom indicated, carefully picking her way through the woods. From time to time she turns her careful eye to the wall, trying to determine exactly how many gnolls are on watch.

North
2007-11-28, 01:59 PM
Plesh

Plesh flies up to till hes eighty feet or so above the tree line, so he can get good covereage of the ground while still being able to see whos down there. Heading west towards the fort he scans the ground carefully for traces of Getty.

Search (1d20+5=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1396570)
Spot (1d20+6=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1396583)
Listen (1d20+6=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1396597) Plesh is still invisible of course:smallwink:

Eratosthenes
2007-11-28, 02:38 PM
Tom

Not knowing what to do with the animals, he ties Heecor and Muffin to a tree. Giving the fort a wide berth, he begins circling around towards the west, mostly to keep in range of Getty and Plesh and coordinate their actions, but also to be close in case something bad happens.

{
Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
}

dauphinous
2007-11-28, 02:49 PM
The west wall is much like the south wall was, with the notable addition of a pair of large double doors with a walkway over them. The walkway is about 12 feet off the ground, with a plain wood wall extending up about 5 more feet, and the doors are about 10 feet tall and a total of 15 feet wide. They are set at about the center of the wall.

Getty's best guess about the number of gnoll guards along the wall is one per 60 feet.

Pleshnaril cannot tell where Getty is from above the canopy, nor can he tell where Tom or J'Lant are from so high up.

North
2007-11-28, 02:59 PM
Plesh

Where are you? Its kinda hard to find someone whos hiding! Tom you still in my head? Wheres Getty I cant find her.

Not finding anything on his first pass Plesh descends beneath the canopy. Narrowing his area but hopefully increasing his chances of spotting Getty.

Search, Listen, Spot (1d20+5=10, 1d20+6=11, 1d20+6=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1396718)

MOD
2007-11-29, 02:42 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant follows after Tom staying stealthy, hiding amongst the brush and making so little sound that not even he can hear himself move. Keeping one eye on Tom and the other for danger J'Lant pats Muffin on the head before setting out.

Ok, Invisiblecastle kept crashing my Internet for whatever reason. It is unknown to me. So the rolls are posted a bit differently than normal.
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398193 Listen 21
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398190 Spot 22
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398207 Hide 26
Move Silently (1d20+9=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1398223) So a 39 total on this one.

dauphinous
2007-11-30, 07:38 AM
It takes Pleshnaril probably half a minute to find the group as they do a quite good job of keeping out of sight. In the end, it's the horse he sees.

MOD
2007-12-01, 06:57 PM
J'Lant

"Tom," J'Lant says grabbing ahold of Tom's elbow, "Getty seems to be taking 'er time I think we should check on 'er." J'Lant considers for a moment mentioning Plesh but dismisses the idea. Tom probably had just as much an idea where Plesh was that he himself did.

That Plesh, always invisible, I 'ope 'e's alright...

kariokie
2007-12-03, 05:33 AM
Getty

Her eyes dance across the building, looking for a way in. Through the gate, while an obvious answer, wouldn't work. Over the wall would be best. They had enough rope to get over, and all of them seemed athletic enough to do it. Night would be the only obvious time, towards the end of the gnoll's shift.

Getty composes a to-do list in her mind, allowing Tom to hear it: Find hidden landing spot. Determine shift schedule. Determine layout of fort inside walls. Enter fort. Enter structure. Find bitchy dwarf. Kill bitchy dwarf. Profit... no, scratch that last one, I have no idea how to achieve it. She rises up from her hiding spot, asking Tom to direct her back towards the group. Find Pleshnaril if you can. We need him to scout.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-03, 10:48 PM
Tom

Tom waves J'lant down: "I'm a talkin' to her. In my head! She's just a reck-i-noitering up there. Trying to find a way in to this here Fort Knox."

Something about thinking about spying on the fort makes Tom ponder things a bit. Suddenly he turns heel, voicing to Plesh and Getty that he'll be right back. He marches back to the clearing where they had camped, and looks up the tree. "Hey. You still up there? You know anything about that there fort back a ways?" Tom says, hooking his thumb over his shoulder.

dauphinous
2007-12-04, 08:11 AM
Tom finds an elf woman crouching at the base of the tree the figure was in before, rummaging through a leather pack. She has short, light brown hair, green eyes, and is wearing leather armor that has been dyed into a mottled leaf sort of camouflage. She is fairly short, even for an elf, probably no more than a few inches over four feet. There is some sort of greenish paste smeared on her cheeks.

She levels her bow at Tom as the words start to come out of his mouth, but lowers it as he finishes. "You want to know about the fort?" By her voice, she is the one who was up in the tree before. Unwilling to set the bow down completely, she takes it in just one hand and cinches up her pack with the other. "A mage lives there, with his little gnoll colony. They do not bother us, and we do not bother them. We trade a few things with them. They seldom venture far from their fort and do not disturb the wood. He has lived there for a few years now, in peace."

Eratosthenes
2007-12-04, 09:57 AM
Tom

Impatient, Tom starts to hurry the elf along, "Yea, yea, we know about the mage. Wait...he? You sure it ain't a she? Specifically a dwarf she?"

dauphinous
2007-12-04, 10:52 AM
She stands up, hefting the pack onto her back and shaking her head. "The master of that fort is a human man, calls himself Victor. Not a dwarven woman. I don't know about any dwarf that lives there. I've met a couple of the gnolls. Not the nicest piles of fur ever, but decent enough neighbors. They take care of the wood around their fort and Victor asked permission before he built the place. No idea what they do there, but I don't really care, either."

She looks Tom up and down, then nods to herself. "It was nothing personal earlier. I don't have a detector that tells friend from foe. When I'm outnumbered, I keep a weapon ready." Her bow still has an arrow ready to shoot, though she is only holding bow and arrow in one hand, and it is at her side, pointing downwards.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-04, 11:21 AM
Tom

Tom chews his lip for a bit. He waves away the elf's apology absent-mindedly. "So you ain't never seen no dwarf comin' or goin'? Huh. When's the last time you done seen this 'Victor' fella?"

dauphinous
2007-12-04, 11:41 AM
The elf shrugs. "I've never seen him. And I have not seen a dwarf. I am just one scout, though, and I don't go much closer to the fort than this." She looks up into the canopy above and makes a sort of whistling noise that sounds like it might be a birdcall. There is a return call from above and a little to the south someplace. Her mouth curls up into a half a smirk. "Good morrow and Besille's light upon you. It's time I got on my way." A small rustle of leaves sounds as she steps behind the closest tree, then nothing.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-04, 12:56 PM
Tom

His hands on his hips, Tom can do not much else but go, "Huh."

Making his way back to where he left J'lant, he relays what he's found out to Plesh and Getty, as well as J'lant, "An elf back at our camp who was watchin' us says this here fort belongs to some wizard named Victor, and that these are his gnolls. She never done met him, but they is on good terms with her folk, apparently."

North
2007-12-04, 06:18 PM
Plesh

Landing by the group. Plesh bursts out. Words exploding one after another Tom! I just got close to the fort and I saw a giant lizard hanging out on top of this huge building thing! It was scary and big and giant and purple and had wings and was giant and purple and big! Really Really big! It was bigger then your house!!!

((OOC: Just got back from Vancouver. It looks like I found Tom an J'Lant, right?))

kariokie
2007-12-05, 03:54 AM
Getty

Getty emerges from the trees, her careful steps almost completely silent. "Victor must be her employer. Additionally, she seems to primarily make use of teleportation, so it is unlikely that individuals outside the establishment may have encountered her. Pleshnaril, did the lizard seem a captive in any manner or did it appear to be pleasantly relaxing on their edifices?"

North
2007-12-05, 02:12 PM
Plesh

I think it was sleeping on top of it. Or maybe it was playing possum and waiting for tasty lean pixies to get near so it could eat them! My mam always said that I was going to end up as someones meal if I didnt wash behind my ears!

MOD
2007-12-05, 09:36 PM
J'Lant

"Well, we need more information then we 'ave. A giant lizard thing, gnolls, a dwarf, and a most likely 'eavily defended fort with an unknown man named Victor." J'Lant taps his foot impatiently, "Drat! we should 'ave followed that elf back to her people, they might 'ave more information on the fort."

Eratosthenes
2007-12-05, 10:21 PM
Tom

Tom responds to J'lant, "I'm fair to certain that followin' that elf were not in the cards. I bet she's quite a sneaky'un. As for the fort - we can always just tucker down here and do some ob-suh-vations, or sneak our way on in. We could just ambush a patrol or two of them gnolls - make them come on out lookin' fer us, while we go an'sneak on in the other way."

MOD
2007-12-06, 05:59 PM
J'Lant

"I am concerned that we are about to go in blindly without enough information. I think we should try and find this settlement that the elf mentioned and also observe the fort. Tom and I should try and find the settlement while Plesh and Getty should continue snooping for information about the fort. That, I believe, would be the best allocation of our resources, and allow for the rapport that Tom has built up to be put to best use." J'Lant stands with his eyebrows raised at the group, waiting for comments.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-07, 02:03 PM
Tom

Frustrated by the turn of events, Tom just walks away from J'lant, intent on seeing what he could see with his magicks. Sitting under a tree not far from the fort, he casts his mind's eye out, looking for the dwarf once again.

{
Insight: +6 Caster Check, Spell DC: 5+13 (Locate Person) -1 Gestures -2 (2 round casting) = 15
Locate the Dwarf. Will Save DC 16

Take 10 for 16. 3 SP, so 11/14 SP
}

North
2007-12-07, 08:28 PM
Plesh

Well Im ok with whatever we do. Just as long as I dont get eaten! Says Plesh empathetically.

kariokie
2007-12-08, 06:30 AM
Getty

Getty once again looks at J'Lant like he's an idiot. "At what juncture did I indicate we were going in without additional information?" Adjusting her weapons, she leans against a tree and waits for Tom to return.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-08, 07:09 AM
Tom

Standing from his reverie, he has a queer look on his face. "She's definitely in there. Readin' a book on the dead, far as I can tell. Not a care in the world. Got herself a little room. Maybe that there Victor fellow's the one who she done mentioned before was her master. I ain't see no reason he'd play nice with the locals."

"I say we try'n take out a few of these here patrols he's got. Hit and run. He can't have a lot of these here gnolls."

kariokie
2007-12-08, 07:29 AM
Getty

"It seems plausible that he would remain on good terms with the locals so as to not open a war on more fronts than he needs. If they are not a threat to him, and their requirements for peaceful coexistence are minimal, and there is no benefit in their extinction, then an intelligent individual avoid conflict." Getty holds the loaded crossbow in her left hand, pointed at the ground, then begins flipping a coin in her other hand as she considers their options.

"The issue with slowly removing the gnoll population is that it gives the dwarf and her master ample opportunity to discover it is us through the very same methods we used to discover her location. As she appears to have a method of translocation that allows her to also transport gnolls, we could be beset with forces suddenly and outmatched." Getty flips the coin far up into the air. Her brown eyes never leave it -- there's no blind spot where she loses track of it, no point where she doesn't know where it is. She looks back at Tom before the coin starts falling downwards. "I suggest a slight modification." Her hand whips out and grabs the coin.

"A slightly sophisticated twist to your plan. We are outnumbered. We have no allies. From what I can infer from your words, there is a truce between the elves and the fort, however if either is smart, one does not completely trust the other. I suggest that if we are unable to convince the elves that it is in their best interest to fight the gnolls and their masters, we simply force a conflict by framing the elves for our attacks upon the gnolls. Our presence will not be investigated and likely the gnolls will suffer heavy casualties if they choose to exact any form of revenge upon the elves. Assuming they could locate them at all." It was a cold, hard plan, but Getty had no patience. The dwarf needed to die for her actions, and Getty would see that done one way or another.

MOD
2007-12-08, 12:54 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant looks at Getty evaluating her plan. "Getty, Plesh, could you draw us a map of the fort as the two of you 'ave seen it?"

dauphinous
2007-12-08, 01:52 PM
However they choose to convey it, between Pleshnaril and Getty, they can create a rough map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/haversillfort.jpg) of what is inside the palisade that shows its size properly. There is a 30 foot gap between the edge of the trees and the palisade, and this gap exists on all four sides.

North is up. The dashed purple line is the main front gate. The dashed heavy black line is the main front door of the structure inside. The dashed lines on the east end of the interior are not walls, just boundaries that seem obvious. The 1 story lean-to is wood, unlike the keep, which is stone. Squares are 10 feet. A walkway runs around the palisade on the inside, about 7 feet from the top, which is what the guards Getty saw are walking around on.

MOD
2007-12-09, 03:02 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant looks at the drawn map his mind racing. He stares at Getty, disdain showing readily on his face.

"Getty, there is no way in 'ell that I will be a part of that plan. Even as a last resort. I will not put those elves in that kind of danger because we could not come up with something better. It is one thing to risk our lives, we can choose to risk them on a whim or ridding the world evil or whatever we want. We do NOT 'ave the right to risk those of others without their concent." The anger in J'Lant's tone is palpable in the air, he paces back and forth fuming.

"Getty, if you ever go through with this plan or another like it I will consider your life worthless." J'Lant shakes his head in disgust, "I do not know where your moral compass is pointing but it needs to change, now."

kariokie
2007-12-09, 04:00 AM
Getty

Her voice is cold. The coin flicks across her knuckles and back as she speaks. Getty watches it, not looking up at J'Lant. "I'd like to say that I don't care about the elves because they sit next to a fort where dark magic is done. A place where a multiple murderer hides in safety. That if they are willing to sell the lives of others to keep their peace then they deserve what happens. That no one can stay neutral in a world of evil."

Getty looks at J'Lant, and there's something tired in her eyes. "I'd like to say that, but I'd be lying. It's about not really, actually caring what the f--- happens to anyone so long as that bitch dies."

"I've been trying to be a 'hero' for a while now. Allow me to explain to you precisely what I have learned: there are no heroes. There's no good. There's no opportunity to do good. Each and every time you try to do 'good', instead of just getting something done, you endanger the lives of everyone around you by showing mercy or compassion. That priestess is dead because I tried to do what was good, instead of what I should have done in the first place." Getty sighs, knowing her words will fall on deaf, heroic ears. A month ago, she would have had the same reaction as J'Lant. Maybe even a few days ago. Not now, though, and probably not ever again. The indignation that comes with good had left her. "When I look back on the past few months, all I see are dead and injured people. Some because I was curious. Some I just couldn't help. But others – and this is the worst part – because I tried to do what was good when I should have just done what was expedient."

"Consider my life whatever you wish. You'll feel the same way I do someday. I just figured it all out a little sooner."

Sorry, kiddos, I just don't see how someone could be so spectacularly and consistently a failure at accomplishing good (for almost a year and a half of this game now, I think), having any proactive good actions constantly bite her or others in the ass, and not just throw up her hands and say, "F--- this, I'll be back at Chaotic Neutral if you need me."

MOD
2007-12-09, 11:53 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant looks down at Getty, "Getty you do not have to be a 'ero to do the right thing. Imagine this world like a beautiful rose. People like me try to keep it safe and preserve it. Others like the dwarf pick the petals one by one until the rose is no more. If you are really going to expend no more effort to do what is right and good then you are as bad as the dwarf." J'Lant looks away from Getty sighing.

"You sound like you are afraid Getty. Afraid of the consequences of your actions. That if you just ignore those consequences they will not matter. My mentor was a wise woman and she told me all about fear. Getty if your fear controls you then you really have no hope." J'Lant takes a step away looking up at the sky, "Fear, Getty, is the path to evil. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to 'ate. 'ate leads to suffering. Those where 'er words not mine. Getty it is not your suffering that she was referring too, it is the suffering that those who let their fear control them inflict upon the world." Perhaps Getty couldn't or wouldn't take a hard look at herself but everyone deserves the chance to at least try.

Walking to his horse and back J'Lant retrieves some parchment, ink and a pen. He writes neatly and precisely as he walks back to the group folding the note carefully. Upon arrival he hands the note to Getty. "When you feel your spirit wavering, when you find yourself on the point of a knife and you could fall off in any direction read this and repeat it to yourself."

Hand written note in Common.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Ya I'm not as genuinely poetic as J'Lant. Some of those came from Dune and Starwars and a bit from the Wheel of Time and good old Robert A. Heinlein.

North
2007-12-10, 12:14 AM
Plesh

Plesh watched the conversation bounce back and forth between the others. So were going to get elves killed because the dwarf doesnt like flowers? Humans....

Hey guys so were agreed that we need to talk to the elves first right? Lets do that first. For the rest, well we can cross that bear when we come to it, k? The might even have food?

Diplomacy (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1416455)

kariokie
2007-12-10, 09:12 AM
Getty

Oh, she was standing on the edge of the cliff and it was nice. She could see precisely where she would land.

Getty knew the consequences of leaning forward. She was no fool. She'd seen it. Getty had run the streets, sneaking out at night, taking things she didn't own, spending time with those she shouldn't. A few rough fights, a few scrapes. Nothing too bad, though, as she had parents who loved her. She'd just always enjoyed a bit of adventure, and that was the only adventure to be had.

Then her parents passed on and the time for such things was gone. Getty still kept in touch with those she had run with, though. Some settled down and straightened up. Some died. Some moved on to bigger crimes, however, heading for the cities, stopping by on their way through on "business" to catch up. When you'd seen more than one friend go from a clever ruffian to a cold killer, when you'd seen the change in their eyes, you knew what it meant to do the same thing yourself.

"That is what you are going to offer me? Platitudes and useless bits of wisdom? Seriously?" She sounds insulted because she is. He was arguing apples, and she was talking about oranges. And his apples were irritatingly trite.

When you stand on the edge of a cliff, you expect someone painting himself as your potential savior to do something better than annoy you into jumping by assaulting you with quasi-religious hokum and claptrap. Getty is an intellectual, first and foremost. When possible, she deals with empirical evidence. And the evidence is in, for any scientific mind to review: beyond a shadow of a doubt, her actions have helped few and hurt many. There is a strong correlation between her involvement in a situation and innocent lives being ended. The data points have been plotted and the only course of action is, indeed, to drastically change course. Evil, it seemed, could only be fought on its own ground, using its own tactics. And so it would be.

"Go find your elves. You have until sunset. Then I act, with or without you."

Eratosthenes
2007-12-10, 09:27 AM
Tom

Tom stands, regarding the exchange with frustration. This whole adventuring thing had been an exercise in frustration, it seemed. He'd almost eaten once, and had seen how quickly death came to those who sought this path. And yet, he couldn't go home. At least not and be happy.

And now here they were, their quarry within reach, and they seemed helpless to stop the murdering woman. Like they'd been helpless to bring Fingers back to life. Or stop Marik from killing himself...

They faced a small fort with a sizeable contigent of gnolls, some sort of dragon-like creature, and possibly two accomplished wizards. Having met the tender mercies of the gnolls before, Tom knows it would be foolhardy to rush in. But that's the most agreeable course to him right now. At least it would likely be over quickly.

Still, he can only waffle between seeking out the elves and following Getty's scheme, unable to overcome his own despair over the situation.

dauphinous
2007-12-10, 10:34 AM
A soft snapping sound, like that of twigs crunched lightly underfoot is followed immediately by the rather abrupt appearance of a man in half-plate carrying a woman draped with a blue cloak in his arms. The woman has long, straight blonde hair and her bare feet can be seen hanging out of the end cloak. She has one bare arm around the man's neck. All of her visible flesh is covered with purple tattoos of the outlines of roses in various stages of bloom and leaves. As she turns her head to look around, it can be seen that her eyes are milky white, with no color at all. Her face also bears the purple tattoos.

Another man appears just behind him, and his entrance is actually seen. He fades in, from nothing more than a beam of light, looking around with his mouth open slightly. He is about average height, with short black hair and dark eyes. He is wearing a blue long sleeved shirt and pants with a lighter blue tunic over it and belted at his waist, and plain boots. He has no weapons at all, but does have a backpack. At the moment, there is an ordinary looking but waterlogged squirrel huddled in the crook of his left arm. "Wow. That was- wow."

North
2007-12-10, 06:25 PM
Plesh

Ack! What the flora!? the pixie exclaims. Startled by the new people Plesh flies up to a tree branch and draws an arrow. Whered they come from?

MOD
2007-12-11, 05:17 AM
J'Lant

Listening to Getty, J'Lant's patience begins wears thin, "Getty your not even...," J'Lant stops mid-sentence realizing that he wasn't going to change her attitude in one sitting, that she had changed over time and with luck and careful planning she would change back, "The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones; so let it be with Getty." J'Lant shrugs at Getty knowing that she probably wouldn't understand his warning. She hadn't taken the time to truly understand what he was saying so J'Lant was content, for the moment, to give his spiel another try when she was more receptive.

J'Lant is about to turn and ask Tom for assistance when the sudden appearance of strangers puts him on edge. Reaching for his mace he holds it ready to defend himself, if need be. " 'ello," he says warily to the strangers, wondering if they too had suddenly popped in, just as he had, in a time of need.

J'Lant stands with an oddly pink overcoat and earthen toned shoes and cloak, his mace held ready. His shoulder length blond hair is marred by his otherwise homely face and crooked teeth. He speaks with a cockney accent.

kariokie
2007-12-11, 06:11 AM
Getty

She wanted to take out a smokestick and whap J'Lant on the back of the head with it. Just to see if he would say anything other than the condescending, self-righteous crap he was spewing. If a machine was broken, sometimes a good swift kick would get it working again, after all.

And Getty might just have gone through with the impulse, had the three people not appeared. Instead, her mouth opens a little as she looks back and forth between them, though no words come out for a few more seconds as she does a double, then triple, then quadruple take. "What is it with my life and sudden manifestations and de-manifestations of corporal entities?"

Santanya
2007-12-11, 01:29 PM
Akanan

Akanan looks about the area quickly as they emerge, slightly surprised by the rather unfamiliar surroundings. He chuckles slightly at the man behind him and looks to the others nearby, listening to their responses before forming his own. He glances to the woman in his arms momentarily. "Um, hello. I am Akanan," he says, his brow furrowed slightly. "I am not a Corporal though, I am one of Havrek's chosen, not in any other military."

He stands roughly 6 foot tall, black hair hanging roughly to his shoulder blades, pulled back into a tight ponytail. He has a relatively young looking, with a sharp look in his hazel eyes. Around his neck hangs a wooden holy symbol of Havrek, hanging by a thin leather strap. His holds himself solidly under the finely made half plate bearing the same symbol of Havrek.

dauphinous
2007-12-11, 01:45 PM
The woman in Akanan's arms laughs. It is a rich laugh, full of life and joy. She lets go of his neck and her head turns so she can see Getty. When she speaks, her voice is not all that different from her laugh - rich, friendly, and with a depth that cannot be easily measured. "I'm looking for an elf woman named Mirallien. I was supposed to meet her a couple of weeks ago, but I was detained. Are we far from Haversill? I don't actually know where that portal was supposed to go."

The young man standing behind Akanan gives a dorky little wave and smiles pleasantly. "I'm Mistan." His voice is a light tenor.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-11, 01:55 PM
Tom

Tom does a good impersonation of a fish at the sudden appearance of the trio of humanoids. The voices break him of his confusion, and he mutters, "We'll I'll be. This world done get stranger by the minute."

Tom stands just shy of six feet, and is a lanky youth in his late teens. He has blue eyes and hair the color of straw, and an infectious grin. His hands are large and calloused, and he's dressed in an array of leather goods that look like he got in a fight with a cow and won, but not without a struggle.

"Well, if you's a'lookin' for Haversill, you ain't far off. But if you're lookin' for Mirallien, well, I'm afraid, well..."

At this Tom seems to loose his steam. Uncomfortably, he glances every which way but at the elf lady, scuffing his foot along the ground.

kariokie
2007-12-11, 02:18 PM
Getty

"She's dead." The black-clad woman speaks plainly, finishing what Tom couldn't. There's a bird-like quality to her, rail thin, with wildly spiky short brown hair matched with sharp brown eyes. There are laugh lines around those eyes, not from age as she looks to be in her early twenties, but from actually finding the world an entertaining and enjoyable place to live. At least until recently.

Small glimpses of the thin mithril chain she wears can be caught under the folds of her black cloak and soft black clothing. At her side is a sword, and bandoleers of tools and weapons cross her chest and are belted around her waist. A loaded crossbow is still in her left hand, but in her shock she hasn't raised it yet. A coin flips back and forth across the knuckles on her right hand, then plays around the fingers, before finally coming to rest, clutched between her pointer finger and thumb. "And I'm here to kill the person who did it."

North
2007-12-11, 02:24 PM
Plesh

A tiny voice shoots down from the trees above the gathering.

Why you looking for the elf lady? Who are you? Whered you come from? Howd you do that? Do you have pie? What do you want? Plesh rapidfires questions down at the new arrivals. They didnt seem hostile, but he remained on his guard just in case. Invisible and with an arrow nocked but not drawn.

dauphinous
2007-12-11, 02:57 PM
The smile fades from her face, turning to a frown. "I see. Then I was perhaps detained for more reasons than I thought." She seems to regard Getty, though it is impossible to tell what exactly her eyes might be looking at, if they can even see anything. "My business with the keeper of the shrine in Haversill is between myself and Besille. If she is dead, then what assistance I can offer to deliver her murderer to the fate they deserve is yours. Does this have anything to do with whatever is over there?" She pulls her hand down from Akanan's neck and points in the direction of the fort.

As an afterthought, she looks up and says, "Little pixie, I do not even have clothing. Unless you are using 'pie' as an euphemism, no, I can't help you with that."

Mistan goes pink around the ears.

MOD
2007-12-11, 04:44 PM
J'Lant

At the woman's embarassment J'Lant ducks away and to his horse. Digging through the various packs J'Lant pulls out many things; a few candles, a magnifying glass, a few sheets of parchment and with a noise of triumph he pulls out a woman's dress.

Walking back to the woman, J'Lant carries the dress in the crook of an arm. The dress is a gaudy number covered in ruffles and lace with a light floral imprint depicting sunflowers. "If you would like you can where this," J'Lant says handing over the gaudy number, "If you would like some shoes, as well, I 'ave a pair though they might be too large."

Continuing on as if nothing was unusual about the sudden appearance of the trio, "My name is J'Lant," he says extending a hand and a smile, "There is a dwarf 'oling up in the fort, she killed Mirallien, we are," J'Lant clears his throat, "discussing ways of gaining entry to the fort. We know there are some elves close by who are on friendly terms with the inhabitants of the fort and we are going to search them out."

dauphinous
2007-12-11, 05:10 PM
The woman gives J'Lant an uplifted eyebrow and a kind smile. "Whatever that is you wish me to wear, friend, I cannot see it. My eyes are dead and sightless. I can 'see' your lifesparks, but nothing else."

MOD
2007-12-12, 03:35 AM
J'Lant

"Ah," J'Lant says with understanding, "What I 'ave for you is a beautiful dress covered in dazzling sunflowers, with ruffles at the collar and sleeves with ornate lacework covering the neckline and the 'em." While J'Lant describes the dress as beautiful with its "ornate" lace and ruffles it is a most appalling number that only someone with J'Lant's taste for clothing would enjoy. "It would honor me if you would accept this garment to adorn your figure."

J'Lant's hand still hangs in the empty air waiting for something or someone to shake it. He moves it a little towards the other two newcomers, raising an eyebrow.

Santanya
2007-12-12, 09:35 AM
Akanan

Akanan frowns slightly as he listens to the exchange between Oracle and the others. It seemed the portal had taken them straight to where they would need to be to get the news she needed, and why he has been sent to accompany her was becoming apparent.

He chuckles softly as Oracle responds, apparently to the tree, and squints upwards towards it, not seeing anything. He looks back towards the others, eyes moving from one to the other, pausing momentarily on each as J'Lant offers the dress to the woman currently in his arms.

He furrows his brow for a moment, then nods slightly as if making some internal decision. "You have my mace at your disposal if such a need arises," he says, nodding towards the others once.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-12, 09:41 AM
Tom

Tom guffaws, "I think we can find a use for that there mace o'yers. Like a gnoll head or something. Ya know, I never did give no nevermind to the..." Tom points upwards, "you know. Them. But it does here seem they have given us some providence."

kariokie
2007-12-12, 09:52 AM
Getty

The effect the appearance of the tattooed woman is having on Getty is evident in two ways. First, Getty had not referred to the dwarf by any derogatory name, even when "murderous bitch" would have sounded much snappier than "the person who did it". Second, Getty does not share her plan. She's not precisely ashamed of it, and still believes it's the best method to accomplish what needed to be done.

However, there are just some things you don't suggest in front of some people. Her faith in the world might be shaken to the core, but some things were hanging on. Not discussing potentially unrighteous acts in front of the righteous seemed to be one of them.

"I believe we will find the elves to be disinterested in upsetting the balance they have created, and it is equally unlikely we could locate them. However, we possess few alternatives at this juncture and cannot act until nightfall, so we might as well." Getty's tone is resigned and somber.

dauphinous
2007-12-12, 12:38 PM
The woman smiles sweetly at J'Lant, speaking quietly to him to avoid interrupting anyone else. "Thank you. The people I normally travel with seem to prefer that I wear purple, but I hardly care. Then again, they may have just been telling me it was purple and actually having me wear orange with green polka dots for all I know. I'll pass on ill-fitting shoes, though. I am currently being carried because I have spent the past two months chained to a wall. I couldn't walk even in shoes molded to my feet." She puts out a hand for the dress, and pulls it in towards herself slowly once it is put there for her.

She turns her head to look off in the direction of the fort again, speaking up now. "There certainly is a black soul over that way. Can she fly, or is that where the fort is? On a completely unrelated subject, does anyone have anything besides old biscuits or moldy cheese to eat? My former host was somewhat lacking in her sense of hospitality."

The squirrel Mistan is carrying climbs up his shirt and onto the top of his head. It chitters a little, looking all around and sniffing the air. Mistan stands stock still, seeming quite afraid to move even enough to breathe. Then the squirrel climbs back down and onto his backpack. It sticks its head into the backpack, then climbs the rest of the way in, leaving only its wet tail sticking out. Mistan lets out the breath he was holding. "So, which kingdom are we in, then? Is it anywhere near Attacaytia?"

North
2007-12-13, 02:47 PM
Plesh

You can see me and your blind! Wow..... These guys cant see me most of the time and they have eyes that work! I have some food thats slightly better then that, just some trail rations but you can have some. Plesh talks to the blind priestess. The diminuitive pixie was barely much more then two feet high and radiated caged energy. He had light blue skin, wild red hair and bright silver eyes that sparkled with some sort of joke that only he was aware of. Plesh reached into one of his belt pouches for some food. Well its mostly not squished but its better then moldy cheese at least. If only we had pie! Plesh looks at the other guy. Oh were in the kingdom of ... uh Tom where are we again?

MOD
2007-12-13, 10:50 PM
J'Lant
"Unfortunatly I too 'ave only trail rations to offer, however, Tom might 'ave some bacon." Thinking for a moment J'Lant responds to Mistan's questions, "I believe that we are in the kingdom of Tarn, though I am not quite sure where that is on a map."

"That is an interesting ability you posses my lady, could you elaborate on it, and elaborate on your name?" J'Lant says trying to be a bit suave.

Diplomacy (1d20-1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1425516)

Santanya
2007-12-14, 08:42 AM
Akanan

Akanan listens to the questions and answers that are provided. He was not familiar with Tarn, but he had not ventured outside of Attacaytia save recently. His brow furrows for a moment in thought. It seemed they had been brought where they were needed, or at least to where the Oracle needed to be to get the information she needed.

He lets out a chuckle, glancing to Mistan. "Well, it seems you are destined to get see the world," he says softly with a smile to the younger man.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-14, 09:02 AM
Tom

Tom blinks at the armored man for a moment - just a moment too long - before barking out a laugh, "Hah! I get it...see! See the world...cause she's...she's...uh...right." Suddenly becoming uncomfortable, he tries changing topic, "So, uh, why were ya all comin' on up to Haversill, by the by?"

Tom starts moving away from the fort, back to their original campsite. On the way, he breaks out his pan and fatback, preparing to griddle up some for the newcomers.

kariokie
2007-12-14, 09:42 AM
Getty

As Tom started to lead the others off, Getty takes a long moment to look at the fort, almost as if she could see the dwarf within it, like the woman could. Later. She turns on her heel and follows after the others.

Getty could talk, and Getty could walk, and she could do both at a rapid rate. When she catches up with the others, she starts speaking, though she mainly addresses the sightless woman. "I am being rude. My name is Haroldine Juniper Getty, though most refer to me by my patronymic, Getty. Once we arrive at our destination, I can assist you in donning some attire if this gentleman will be kind enough to reposition you in a more private location. I have the sense that you are as unconcerned with privacy as a previous adventuring companion, a druid – truly what is with druids and their dislike of clothing? – however I also have the sense that several of the gentlemen here might be rendered uncomfortable and the capillaries in their face might become flush with blood in response." Getty takes a breath before continuing. "After you have consumed food, we should depart for Haversill. The diminutive bit- blight can wait until you have completed your business and fully recovered the use of your various appendages. As you appear to be unable to be responsible for your own ambulation, I believe we will need to employ J'Lant's equine, who I believe is referred to as Muffin."

dauphinous
2007-12-14, 12:15 PM
The woman laughs with Tom. She seems genuinely amused by him, even though he gets uncomfortable with it. "I am an Oracle of Besille. I have no actual name, but I will respond to 'Oracle'." Her smile fades slowly to something a trifle more serious. "If there is no keeper of the shrine, then I have no business in Haversill, and have no need to delay your mission. And quite honestly, I do prefer to be clothed. I normally wear silk and satin, just because it feels nice, but I do not scoff at even burlap. Nudity is most certainly not my preference."

She squirms a little in Akanan's arms, trying to adjust to help him carry her as he walks. "I need some food, and a little time in quiet, say four hours. Then I will be fine. I did get a few things in return for giving up my sight."

Mistan grins and looks around wide-eyed. "You know, I've never been in a forest before. Just a city, a rolling plain, and a ruin. Do druids really run around naked?"

The previous campsite is reached without further incident. It is little more than a small clearing at the top of a barely noticeable hill, but that is certainly better than being at the bottom. Once Getty helps her with the dress - she has no ability to figure out which end is which, or where the sleeves are - she eats. And eats some more. She packs away more food than it looks like her body (which, though a little gaunt at the moment, looks like she is generally athletic in some fashion, and fairly attractive) could possibly hold.

North
2007-12-14, 04:15 PM
Plesh

Plesh ate his dinner quickly and soon grew restless with waiting. So your from Attackinya? That sounds like a mean place. Is there lots of evil dwaves there too? Is that who chained you to a wall and took your clothes? Thats sounds pretty evil to me.

Santanya
2007-12-14, 04:45 PM
Akanan

Akanan chuckles softly. "Attacaytia actually. It is not a mean place, well, no more than any other town I do not thing. It has its rough edges," he says. His eyes cloud for a second as a wave of worry flows over him. He hoped that the others had been successful in dealing with one of the rougher edges. "Its rather," he pauses for a moment, seeking out the right words. "Cut off from most other places," he finally finishes. "It is not ruled by evil dwarves though," he adds with a chuckle.

"A chosen of Mezanne was who was holding her, as well as corrupting the ruins they were in," he says as he glances towards the Oracle. "Havrek sent me there, and now here it would seem."

MOD
2007-12-15, 01:00 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant smiles at the Oracle, admiring her beauty in the dress.

"So, why where you being 'eld by a chosen of Mezanne, Oracle?" J'Lant says curiously, "You do not 'ave to answer if you do not want to." He adds realizing he may have broached a sensitive subject.

dauphinous
2007-12-15, 09:28 AM
"Tarn? Huh. That's on..." Mistan screws up his face, obviously thinking, "on Dembria, I think. Attacaytia is on Sambris. So we jumped to a different continent. Wow." He looks at Pleshnaril, then, nodding along with what Akanan says. "Attacaytia is ruled by Queen Beatrice. She's a half-elf. With wings. And a priestess of Besille. Mom calls her a lunatic."

The oracle smirks and finishes what she's chewing before responding to J'Lant. "Like all creatures of Mezanne, she had some kind of disjointed plan that involved trying to bring something the Abyss, or the Abyss to something. Although I do not endorse this sort of study, it was a highly enlightening two months. I'm not convinced those lunatics actually know what they'd do if they managed to succeed in bringing about the wholesale apocalypse they seem to want so badly."

She takes another few bites, then lets out a light burp and her eyelids droop closed, a grin forming on her lips. "Don't mind me. If you need to move in a hurry, I authorize grabbing and carrying me around like a sack of potatoes without asking first." She carefully lies back where she is, squirms a little to adjust, and goes completely limp.

"Wow. Just," Mistan snaps his fingers, "bam, and she's out."

MOD
2007-12-16, 12:48 AM
J'Lant

"Well, I suppose we should start looking for those elves while we have the time. Is anyone besides Tom adept at finding people?" J'Lant says trying to gauge the strengths of the Mistan and Akanan.

North
2007-12-16, 01:03 PM
Plesh

Hmm I have an idea! Plesh stands up and looks up at the trees. Hello Elves? Your trees are in danger? he calls out to the trees. Sitting down again. And now we play the waiting game.

Santanya
2007-12-16, 03:36 PM
Akanan

Akanan chuckles softly at Mistan. "She is, but she is a good leader, or at least things have gone well with her," he responds to his remark about Beatrice.

He smirks slightly to J'Lant. "Unfortunately my abilities with that are rather limited in this type of environment," he says, shaking his head once. "I am much better during battle, or curing the diseases that are occasionally contracted."

dauphinous
2007-12-16, 08:45 PM
Mistan shakes his head at J'Lant. "I'm a healer. And I know a little about alchemy. I know this girl, though, she- uh," He blushes a little again, "is back home, so never mind."

There is no immediate response to Pleshnaril's call.

MOD
2007-12-16, 10:27 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant gives Plesh a strange look.

Can he really just tell the tell the trees that and have elves come running?

kariokie
2007-12-17, 04:01 AM
Getty

"I have no ability, nor inclination, to locate the elves. I will remain here. Additionally, I hardly believe they will emerge from the woods at your warning, Pleshnaril, unless you are willing to employ methods to actually convince them there is a danger to their sylvan environ." Getty whips out a twindertwig and lights it. Looking at the flame for a minute, she then blows it out. "If you wish to locate them, you have two options: Tom attempts to find the elf he was conversing with via magical means, or we combust a few trees. I would suggest the former if you actually plan to have a positive interaction with them."

North
2007-12-17, 01:00 PM
Plesh

Plesh continues sitting and waiting. He says to Getty very loudly. Your right Getty, the Elves here dont seem to care about their forest that much. They have all this vileness here and they have tea with it? Shameful, just shameful. The elders back home would weep at the state of the elves here. Even the centaurs took better care of the forest!

dauphinous
2007-12-17, 09:14 PM
The squirrel on Mistan's arm leaps off of him and lands poorly, tumbling to a stop not far from Pleshnaril. It scampers the short distance to the pixie and climbs up his leg, reaching with its head and sniffing near the pixie's face. It's little whiskers quiver, just barely brushing Plesh's skin for a moment, then it sits back on its haunches atop his knee. It turns to look at Getty, then at Tom, then at J'Lant, then back at Pleshnaril.

Mistan just looks up, apparently waiting for the trees to respond. A light breeze ruffles the leaves on the trees, but no elven voice calls out.

MOD
2007-12-18, 01:35 AM
J'Lant

"Plesh are you sure this is going to work? Perhaps we should try more traditional methods." J'Lant says skeptically.

North
2007-12-18, 03:51 PM
Plesh

Oh definitly do the magic doohickey stuff too.The elves here are lazy. Back home.. well you guys should know right. Plesh laughs remembering how he first met the group.

dauphinous
2007-12-19, 09:39 PM
The squirrel jumps down off of Pleshnaril and scampers over tot he oracle. It runs up onto her belly and sniffs at her a little, then climbs down carefully and takes off like an arrow, disappearing into the undergrowth.

"Yeah, you're welcome, furball," Mistan calls after the squirrel. "There's some gratitude for you. We saved him- you know, I don't know if it's a him or a her - anyway, we completely saved its cookies...well, Akanan did. I was just sort of there. But then it just runs off without even so much as a little claw shake. You know," he looks to Akanan, "that Mezanne woman, she kind of acted like the squirrel could talk."

Eratosthenes
2007-12-19, 10:18 PM
Tom

At J'lant's continued persistence, Tom just shrugs, "I can't just mumbo-jumbo find that elf. Not like I did this dwarf. I suppose I could go and have a looksee at to what she's a'doin', but it wouldn't really help in locatin' which way she done gone. I could try to just find any old elf, I s'pose..."

Tom concentrates for a moment, waving his hands over his face while rubbing his temples and eyes.


Take 10, Locate creature(Elf) DC 18 - 2 for 2 extra rounds, -1 for waving my arms around = DC 15, Caster Check 16
3 spell points, now at 7/14
After this I'll be meditating for 2 hours with the oracle lady, to regain 4 spell points.

Santanya
2007-12-20, 05:28 AM
Akanan

Akanan glances to Mistan. "Unless you happen to be an Avatar of Oturn, there is more to that squirrel than meets the eye," he says with a slight chuckle. "I suspect he is attempting to do something to either assist, or possibly wanted a nut."

North
2007-12-20, 03:07 PM
Plesh

Oh really Tom? I thought you would totally be able to magic that up. Well if we cant find the elves then we'll just have to do it ourselves. Plesh ponders for a moment. Could you make the whole fort explode or catch on fire or something Tom?

kariokie
2007-12-20, 03:26 PM
Getty

"Pleshnaril, I believe it would be an excellent use of your particular skills if you were to follow that squirrel. The creature may be on to something." Or, at the minimum, it will give him something to do aside from yelling and speaking to Tom while he is attempting a spell.

North
2007-12-20, 03:53 PM
Plesh

Really? OK. Plesh takes off and speeds after the squirrel, following the direction the squirel left in.

Spot, Listen (1d20+6=12, 1d20+6=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1437935)

MOD
2007-12-20, 10:29 PM
J'Lant

"Good idea, Getty," J'Lant says quietly, so as not to disturb Tom. J'Lant waits for Tom's magics to find an elf.

Eratosthenes
2007-12-21, 02:01 PM
Tom

Coming out of his trance, Tom waves after the departing squirrel. "I'm a'bettin' our bushy tailed friend has a few notions as to where to find them. They're off in that self-same di-rection, they are. Why don't y'all go an'track'em down, while I emulate this here oracle and take a rest break."

{
Am away on holidays, so posting may be light.
}

MOD
2007-12-22, 01:26 AM
J'Lant

"Well let us 'ope that the squirrel knows what it is doing and thank you Tom." J'Lant begins after Plesh but turns as an almost afterthought, "Muffin is 'ere in case you need 'im Getty. Coming Mistan? Akanan?"

kariokie
2007-12-22, 07:06 AM
Getty

She leans against a tree, crossbow still pointed down, waiting to see who would leave and who would stay. A coin flicks across her free hand as she watches the others. She didn't believe the newcomers, aside from perhaps Mistan, would leave and entrust her and Tom to guarding the woman as she meditated.

Getty herself had no desire to see the elves. Whether that was because she suspected they would not be interested in upsetting a balance that served them well, or if she merely did not wish to see the people she was so willing to frame for her attack on the dwarf, she didn't quite know.

dauphinous
2007-12-22, 07:25 AM
Pleshnaril sees absolutely nothing of the squirrel after it darts into a shrub and the bushy tail disappears. He can, however, see a small amount of movement in the undergrowth, and hear some scrabbling and similar sounds that move in the direction the squirrel seemed to be headed.

"I'm all up for meeting some forest elves. I've never met any forest elves before. I've met snooty elves, and I've met priestly elves, but never any forest elves. Do they paint themselves with berry paste and dance around naked?" Mistan starts off with J'Lant, all the eagerness of a bouncing puppy in his gait. He stops quickly, though, and looks back at Akanan. "If that's okay with you, I mean."

North
2007-12-24, 03:53 PM
Plesh

Plesh turns invisible and continues following the sounds of the squirrel.

Santanya
2007-12-27, 04:13 PM
Akanan

"Perhaps I should stay back and watch over these two," he says, nodding towards Tom and the Oracle. "They do not seem to be in the condition to fight off something that might happen upon them," he says. "The woods are not my natural habitat," he adds with a grin. "Go ahead, just be careful," he responds to Mistan as well, nodding to the young man. "Don't get yourself killed or your mother will kill me."

dauphinous
2007-12-27, 05:40 PM
Mistan nods and grins. "Yeah. She'd kill me, too." Then he turns and follows J'Lant. The two of them plunge into the wood, unable to see Pleshnaril up ahead, or the squirrel, either.

After about 10 minutes, Plesh finds the squirrel, stopped on a rock and whacking a nut of some kind on the rock. Mistan and J'Lant, doing their best to stay on the heading Tom gave them, miss this completely and keep walking.

"J'Lant? What are we going to do when we find these elves?"

North
2007-12-27, 07:18 PM
Plesh

Plesh find the squirrel playing with his nuts. Hmm so what did you find here lil buddy? Seeing nothing in the immediate area he flies up to get a better vantage of the surrounding area.

Listen, Spot (1d20+6=8, 1d20+6=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1446092/)

MOD
2007-12-27, 09:43 PM
J'Lant

"Well, Mistan, that is the tricky part. I am not entirely sure of what we will do. Several ideas 'ave popped into my 'ead though." J'Lant stops for a moment and looks for Plesh, " I think that when we find the elves we should explain, to them, the situation and see 'ow much, if any, assistance they will give." A small grin forms against J'Lant's crooked teeth, "Well that is assuming that the elves do not turn away outsiders as their general policy."




Spot! [roll0]
Listen! [roll1]

Knowledge Nature [roll2]
J'Lant is attempting to use his Knowledge of Nature to find Plesh. I've been reading up on the knowledge variant it looks interesting.

dauphinous
2007-12-28, 07:38 AM
J'Lant can't see anything of interest, which probably comes as no surprise considering he is looking for something invisible and a squirrel. He can, however, hear the sound of something hitting something else. It's a very small sound, like a pair of small rocks being smacked together. Then he hears Plesh's voice and the whacking sound continues.

"It's that way. Uh, the, um, guy in the...leather said that way." Mistan, who seems to be blushing a very light pink around the ears, points forward as J'Lant seems to be looking over to the side.

MOD
2007-12-28, 08:55 PM
J'Lant

"Oh, that was Tom, sometimes 'e needs a kickstart to reveal the grand mystery that is 'is name...," J'Lant looks at Mistan, "Did you 'ear that? I think Plesh over this way. " J'Lant jogs in the direction he heard Plesh's voice.

"Plesh," J'Lant calls, "We are over 'ere."

dauphinous
2007-12-28, 09:35 PM
"Oh. No, I didn't hear that. So, um," Mistan starts to whisper, "I don't know much about the squirrel or anything, but the Oracle said it's an Avatar of Oturn. I can't say that it'd actually want to help us or anything. It was corrupted until about an hour ago. Covered with evil goo." He pulls a piece of chalk out of his pack and marks an arrow on a nearby tree before following J'Lant. "I'm just saying that it might be a little off or something."

North
2007-12-29, 01:03 PM
Plesh

Hey Im over here. Plesh calls back to the two. I followed the squirrel here, but all hes doing is playing with his food now? Are you guys following him too?

Santanya
2007-12-29, 01:27 PM
Akanan

Akanan moves next to the fire and crouches down, eying the surrounding woods. "So," he says softly as he looks up to Getty, attempting not to disturb the two resting. "Do you know anything about the encampment?" he asks curiously. It was seeming like the end goal was to enter it, so knowing what was there seemed like a good idea to him.

kariokie
2007-12-29, 07:13 PM
Getty

Getty continues looking off through the woods, towards the fort, for a minute longer. Then, quickly, she pulls out a worn notebook from her pack and sketches a map (http://dauphinous.coyotecode.net/haversillfort.jpg) of the fort. "Gnolls every sixty feet on the wall. Dragon on the roof of that building. Inside are two casters, one is a dwarf I am familiar with. One we have no knowledge of, except he is the true leader of this establishment. She is powerful, I would assume he is more. I have been held prisoner in the basement of the edifice, however I had no opportunity to explore it, and was teleported directly out of it when I was freed."

MOD
2007-12-30, 12:31 AM
J'Lant

"Oh good I am glad we found you Plesh. Tom pointed us in the direction of the elves and as luck would 'ave it the squirrel came the same way." J'Lant eyes the squirrel and then turns to Mistan, "I do not know much about Avatars and such, Mistan, but corruption does not sound pleasant. My expertise is rather limited to mortal matters."

Can the squirrel understand us?

" 'ey, um squirrel, are you trying to 'elp us?" J'Lant asks with an awkward look on his face.

Sense Motive! On the Squirrel! (1d20+10=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1447882/)

dauphinous
2007-12-30, 06:43 AM
At being addressed by J'Lant, the squirrel stops whacking the nut and turns its tiny head to look at him. The whiskers on its face twitch for a few moments, then it resumes whacking the nut. Pieces of the shell are starting to fly from it at this point.

A whispering voice speaks inside J'Lant and Pleshnaril's heads. It sounds like the echo of a deep, resonating voice and feels cool, like a refreshing dip in a spring-fed pool. Is it impossible to get something to eat in peace? No, I am not trying to help you bumbling mortals. Solve your own problems. If the Oracle wants to help you, that's her issue. I have more important things to do.

Mistan couldn't possibly look more surprised. He stammers a little bit. "Um, you're welcome. Seemed like the least we could do."

Eratosthenes
2007-12-30, 12:43 PM
Tom

"That sounds like darn good summary, Ms. Getty. I think there was some caltrops or something around the walls, too. So we should best be careful if we's try to scale them," Tom adds.

North
2007-12-30, 05:52 PM
Plesh

With all the recent shenanigans, a squirrel talking in his head just followed suit.

....K..... So which direction were you guys going to the elves?

MOD
2007-12-31, 12:09 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant jumps back a bit at the squirrel’s words intruding upon his mind. It was nice to know the squirrel was intelligent but since it didn’t seem obliged to help J’Lant moved on.

"Tom said they were in this direction," J'Lant points in the direction Tom indicated and starts walking giving the squirrel a quick glance before setting off.

"Plesh, Mistan, are either of you good at matters of diplomacy? I believe our best speaker should but his words first when we meet the elves. ‘owever, convincing others is not my forte but I do have a little ability in that regard."

dauphinous
2007-12-31, 07:26 AM
"I marked a tree over there," Mistan points back the way he and J'Lant came, "so we wouldn't get lost. I, uh, I'm not really a negotiator as such. My sister runs the shop. I worked in the back with my Dad, until I found my vocation as a Healer, then I started working with my Mom. She says I have a 'funny' bedside manner. I don't think she means like I make people laugh."

North
2008-01-01, 03:50 PM
Plesh

I can talk to the elves, but you know they are elves. Plesh responds to J'Lant as if that would explain everything.

dauphinous
2008-01-01, 04:02 PM
"Yes, as it happens, we are elves. Stop where you are and declare your purpose." The voice is marginally annoyed, but otherwise a light tenor. It comes, predictably, from up in a nearby tree, though neither Pleshnaril nor J'Lant can actually see anyone, and Mistan doesn't seem to see anyone, either.

MOD
2008-01-01, 09:56 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant glances at Plesh and Mistan.

Here we go!

J'Lant calls up into the trees, "We come to seek your aid in ridding the world of a most agreagous evil that has murdered the priestess Mirallien of 'aversill. We come on be'alf of 'er 'usband Lorrylith and Landis, the sherrif of 'aversill."

I meant to roll some diplomacy here, check OOC thread please.

dauphinous
2008-01-02, 07:46 AM
"Haversill's business is Haversill's business, not ours. But if all you came to do is talk to people, then carry on." The voice still seems just a tad annoyed, but not hostile.

An elven woman, similar in dress and appearance to the last one you met, steps out from behind a tree. She has an arrow notched to her bow, but pointed at the ground. "This way," she says shortly, then starts walking.

After a minute or so, the trees have become quite large around, easily 20 feet in diameter. Looking up, it seems that there are walkways between them above, and it kind of looks like there are structures up there. The elf stows her bow and arrow in her quiver and starts climbing up one of the trees quite expertly. She reaches a platform on a branch about 30 feet up and lowers a rope ladder. Above that platform, it looks like a stair has been mounted around the trunk of the tree.

North
2008-01-02, 03:12 PM
Plesh

Plesh flies up to the platform ignoring the ladder. When he reaches the top he takes in the surroundings. Pretty.

MOD
2008-01-02, 08:58 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant lets Mistan climb up before him and then climbs himself. He takes in the sites of this strange elf village.

dauphinous
2008-01-02, 09:40 PM
Once high enough up to actually see the place, it becomes clear that there is a whole town up in the trees. The lowest actual structures are 50 feet off the ground, with most of them much higher. Rooms are built onto the branches of these huge trees, and attached to the trunks. The female elf leaves the trio at the platform and gestures up the stairs. "Welcome to Daolinlye." She pulls the ladder up and secures it before climbing back down the tree.

The walkways all have guardrails of wood and rope, but it seems like it would be easy to slip and fall in the rain. Everything looks like it is made of wood, leaves, and rope. There are plenty of elves around, and a few mephits can be spied flying through the area. The first several actual structures the trio come upon have signs on them, proclaiming their status as traders of one kind or another.

MOD
2008-01-04, 01:10 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant turns to Plesh and Mistan as the gaze at the elf city. "Ok guys 'ere is the plan. We will meet back here in one 'our, find out as much as you can about the Fort, the Dwarf and Victor." J'Lant shakes his head for a moment, "Sorry Mistan. I need to explain. Victor is, from our current information, the owner of the fort and 'e is 'ousing that murderous dwarf."

J'Lant's jaw clenches just thinking about the dwarf. "Talk to the traders, priests, barkeeps, everyone. We can decide what to next when we compare notes. Does that sound good?"

North
2008-01-04, 07:30 PM
Pleshnaril

Hmm? That sounds good. Ill attempt to talk to someone in charge here. Good luck. At that Plesh flies off and tries to look for someone official, knowing elves that meant stuffy and overserious. Possibly with a big hat.

dauphinous
2008-01-05, 08:22 AM
"Okay, I'll do what I can." Mistan nods a little uncertainly, but he affects an honest sort of smile and sets off, plunging into the town.

Walking through the town and talking to people, both J'Lant and Pleshnaril notice that the population is heavily elven. There is a small mephit presence, which seem to be mostly of the air variety, and there seems to be a minor gargoyle presence. But there are no other races represented at all. The pace of the town in general is relaxed and unhurried. The average elf on the walkway is friendly and of good cheer.

Mistan is back at the starting spot an hour later, leaning against the railing and looking up, not down.

Pleshnaril:After spending the hour talking to anyone he could find and spreading his name around, Pleshnaril managed not only to fail to find anyone who knows anything more than Plesh already does, but he ended up talking to an air mephit for 20 full minutes about centaurs. The air mephit, one Sheshenee, apparently grew up in the Juessi pixie cove, which is one that has trade contact with the Campredi cove. It's north of Ciderspring.

J'Lant:Eventually, J'Lant found an elf woman in a very clean, very well-lit tavern who was more than happy to talk to him about anything. She didn't know a whole lot, but was pretty sure that Victor is human, and had heard that he came to Daolinlye a couple of months ago to make sure that keeping a dragon was okay with the elders. She supplied him with a location (and directions to it) that he should be able to find one or more of the elders at, which is the Ostarened, or literally the 'town center'. He doesn't have time before the hour is up to find it and still get back to the meeting place.

North
2008-01-05, 11:42 AM
Pleshnaril

Plesh arrives back at the meeting spot. Well I found someone from near back home but nothing about the fort. Mistan did you have any luck?

MOD
2008-01-05, 11:50 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant waves a bit to Mistan as he arrives and leans against the rail next to him. After Plesh arrives, "Well I learned a little. It turns out that Victor asked permission of the elders to keep his pet dragon. Most interesting, 'e does seem to keep good relations then with this village. That is going to make asking the elders for assistance difficult if they have a decent opinion of 'im. On the plus side I did find where some of the elder's congregate." J'Lant looks expectantly at Plesh and Mistan, his eyebrows raised, waiting for their reports.

dauphinous
2008-01-05, 12:01 PM
Mistan shrugs. "I met an elf whose son is part of the scout force here. He said the gnolls actually help the scouts out sometimes. His son was on a patrol with his partner and they got attacked by some kind of funny plants or something, and some gnolls showed up and helped them out. Nobody knew anything about a dwarf. Are you sure this dwarf is doing what she's told? I mean, this Victor guy sounds decent. Maybe he just doesn't know exactly what he hired?"

North
2008-01-05, 01:51 PM
Pleshnaril

Really they like him? And gnolls are good? What the flora! But wasnt it the gnoll that helped free the evil dwarf, so that means he knows what she does? So hes a good neighbor that murders people far away? Plesh ponders for a moment. Well we can talk to the elders about him but now they just might arrest us or something for him! Or at the least tip him off?

MOD
2008-01-05, 08:46 PM
J'Lant

"Well, I guess we should speak with the elders then. This way I believe." J'Lant starts off towards the direction of the elders, "Perhaps we do not 'ave all the information and are drawing false conclusions. You might be right Mistan. " J'Lant shakes his head.

North
2008-01-05, 11:51 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh follows J'Lant wondering what to say to the elders.

dauphinous
2008-01-06, 10:01 AM
At the Ostarened, which has nothing indicating it is a building of any real importance, there is an incredibly ancient-looking elf woman dressed all in green sitting on a stool and perusing a book. Her long, white hair is piled up on the top of her head messily, but it is out of her eyes. The room is just a small antechamber of some sort, with pots of tall plants lining the two walls without doors. The wall opposite the front door also has a door, normal sized and plain. There is no other decoration in this room.

"Hello." She only looks up from her book after saying this. "Oh my, humans. What are you boys looking for?"

North
2008-01-06, 08:40 PM
Pleshnaril

A murderer your Eldership. Plesh says in his most somber tone. A vile dwarf we tracked from Haversill to here. Are you familiar with Haversill your eldership? Theres a couple of elves up there. Lorrylith and Mirallien. Mirallien is a priestess of Besille your eldership. She was murdered less then five days ago. They slit her throat from behind your eldership. She didnt even see it coming. I met Lorrylith, hes heartbroken and devastated. I promised him we would find justice for Mirallien. We beg your help your eldership?


Diplomacy (1d20+5=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1453116/)

MOD
2008-01-06, 09:53 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods at Plesh's words his face somber.

dauphinous
2008-01-07, 08:19 AM
"Oh, and a pixie, too. My, you are a little sweetheart." She steps down off her stool, showing that she is maybe 4 foot 6, and shuts her book. "How dreadful. I can say with certainty that there are no dwarven murderers in Daolinlye, though. However you tracked this dwarf here, you must have made a mistake. And Haversill's business is their own. Mirallien is a sweet girl, but not from here. I'm sorry to hear that she was killed. I don't think any of the Elders will want to be bothered with something like that, though."

North
2008-01-07, 01:47 PM
Pleshnaril

Oh forgive me your eldership! I didnt mean Daolinlye. We tracked her to near here. And its not just Mirallien that shes murdered your eldership. She tried killing Haversills sheriff, a companion of a friend of mine from back home and more. Shes evil your eldership. Pleshs head tilts in thought. We-I thought you would care that you have a dark magicing mass murderess in your forest. "Protect your home in all things" my mam always taught me. Maybe we just.... the pixie trailed off.

MOD
2008-01-07, 03:17 PM
J'Lant

"I think what would be most distressing to Daolinlye is not just this murderous dwarf. It is other information we have discovered. We know that this village trades with the fort owned by a man named Victor. A man that appears, by our information, to be a generally good and decent person. The dwarf in question is in 'is employ and currently located in 'is fort. I would think that the elders might be interested to know that someone they have good relations with, that they do regular buisness with, is employing a murderer at 'is beck and call."

Diplomacy [roll0]

dauphinous
2008-01-07, 03:24 PM
The woman nods and seems to consider this some. "Well, I guess it can't hurt to see if any of them have some time to hear you out." She smiles kindly. "If you want my advice, young man, you'll ask for something specific. This way." The elf opens the interior door after placing her book on her stool. The door opens into a hallway with several other doors. She opens the first on on the left and gestures for everyone to enter.

It is a larger room than the first, with cushy chairs and a couch, all arranged to face each other. There are several potted plants on the floor, hanging from sconces in the walls, and hanging on chains from the ceiling. A small table has a pitcher of water and several glasses on a tray. The overall decor of the room is in various shades of green.

Mistan follows the elf and walks right in, plopping down into one of the chairs. "Thank you, ma'am."

Unless there are any other questions for her, the elf closes the door after Pleshnaril and J'Lant enter, leaving the trio alone inside the room.

MOD
2008-01-07, 04:47 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods his thanks as well to the elf and takes a seat. "Well, I guess the question now is what do we ask for? Aid in attacking the fort per'aps? A covert audiance with this Victor fellow? More information?" J'Lant glances at Plesh and Mistan as he rambles on answering his own questions, "I would suppose that the elders probably would not be interested in attacking the fort at this time. More likely they, and us, would want to talk to Victor personnally to confront 'im with these accusations." J'Lant sighs a bit considering options.

North
2008-01-07, 05:26 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh thinks for a few moments. Information. On the dward, fort and this Victor guy. I just dont think it possible for him to be unaware of the dwarf since a gnoll was sent to free her. Nothing adds up here!

North
2008-01-07, 05:28 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh thinks for a few moments. Information. On the dward, fort and this Victor guy. I just dont think it possible for him to be unaware of the dwarf since a gnoll was sent to free her. Nothing adds up here! Maybe we should try and talk to this Victor guy if the elders certify him but unless hes willing to turn on his own lackey all were going to do is tip him off that were coming. I wish Getty and Tom were here, theyd know what to do...

dauphinous
2008-01-07, 09:02 PM
"So, if that's what you want, what are you offering?" Mistan looks over at the pitcher and glasses, then sighs lightly and stands up. He pours himself a glass of water, then takes it and sits back down, sinking into the cushions with a light smile. "I mean, why are they going to tell us anything, or set anything up for us? What are they going to get out of it? Crusty old elves probably aren't going to go for the 'doing the right thing' angle, are they?"

North
2008-01-08, 01:05 AM
Pleshnaril

I was thinking that they might want to do the right thing but you might be right. I dont know what to offer them besides info about the dwarf?

MOD
2008-01-08, 01:11 AM
J'Lant

"I like to believe that most people will do the right thing when given the opportunity. With a little luck per'aps that will be the case we will not know until we ask them. 'owever if they do require some sort of compensation for our warning then per'aps we could offer to do a task for these elves if they need one done. Or per'aps one of us has some item they desire. Or per'aps," J'Lant says lifting the water out of Mistan's glass with his telekinesis, "they would be interested in learning some of my secrets."

dauphinous
2008-01-08, 03:20 PM
Time ticks by. It is difficult to tell just how long it actually is before the door opens again. Fifteen minutes? Maybe longer. When it does, two somewhat aged elves, neither of whom appears to be nearly as ancient as the first one, enter the room. One is male and has waist length brown hair, streaked with gray and left free to hang over rich purple robes. The other is a woman with in a green and white gown with pale blonde hair done into an elaborate confection atop her head.

The man closes the door behind them, and he is the one who speaks. "I am Elder Kiraestal, this," he gestures lightly to the woman, "is Elder Nemerisse. We understand you wish to discuss Victor and a dwarf who is suspected of murder." They both remain standing just a few feet inside the room, and seem to have carefully sculpted their faces and postures into complete neutrality.

North
2008-01-08, 09:42 PM
Pleshnaril

Your Elderships I am Pleshnaril Campredi and these are my companions J'Lant and Mistan. We have travelled from Haversill in pursuit of the Dwarf. She has murdered the priestess of Besille, Mirallien.

MOD
2008-01-09, 01:22 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods earnestly in agreement with Plesh. He stays mute letting Plesh negotiate as best he could. Perhaps even better then he himself could.

dauphinous
2008-01-09, 10:23 AM
The woman barely moves. She breathes and blinks, just like any other person would, but is otherwise as still as a statue. The man nods as he listens, but seems perplexed. "As you say. It is not our general habit to hear out random accusations and greet every traveler who comes through Daolinlye, though. Why did you wish to speak with us? Celasyen said it sounded like it might be of interest to us, but I have yet to hear anything that is."

North
2008-01-09, 09:03 PM
Plesh

Well your Elderships, it seems that this dark magicing murdering dwarf is in the employ of your neighbor Victor. Another companion of ours was kidnapped to that fort as well, and gnolls were sent to Haversill to free the dwarf from prison. So thats murder, dark magic, kidnapping, jailbreak, invasion and more happening in your forest.


Rolled this previously and forgot to link it, sorry.
Diplomacy (1d20+5=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1456167/)

MOD
2008-01-09, 09:59 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant glances at Plesh nervously as he speaks and at the elders when they speak. He hoped Plesh's words would be enough. But for now he just wasn't sure.

Sense Motive! On the elders! [roll0]

dauphinous
2008-01-10, 08:28 AM
The man just furrows his brow, looking somewhat perplexed. "Pleshnaril, I can appreciate that from your point of view, this all makes complete sense. If you have some kind of quarrel with Victor, my advice is to take it up with him. I have no understanding whatsoever why you have come to us. At this point, whatever your petition may be, I am afraid that I must deny it."

He turns and opens the door for the woman to go through first.

J'Lant:The woman is unreadable. She might as well be a statue. The man is getting a little annoyed, and is clearly confused by what Pleshnaril said.