PDA

View Full Version : Haversill III: Return of the Donkey



Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

MOD
2008-01-10, 12:29 PM
J'Lant

"Wait!" J'Lant says standing up, "Let me explain. This village does business with the fort owned by Victor, yes? A man you have given permission to build a fort, 'ouse a dragon and a man who helps out your scouts when they are in trouble and need assistance. Victor sounds like a decent good person. But from our information he may not be all that he seems."

"Victor has in his employ this vile and murderous dwarf that Plesh mentioned. This dwarf has killed several people that we know about and countless others that we do not. I think you would like to know why a man who appears to be good and decent would sanction the murder of innocents by employing this dwarf. You might want to reconsider whether he has been completely forthright in his dealings with you and your people."

"I understand that our business is our own that yours is your own but in this situation I think our paths have crossed. It would be mutually beneficial if we were to combine resources in determining what should be done about Victor and this dwarf. Even if all that is done is a speaking directly with Victor about the accusations."

Diplomacy! [roll0]

Woot!!!!!!! Yes!!!! Natural 20!!!!!! Total of 33 for that diplomacy.

dauphinous
2008-01-10, 01:50 PM
The woman stops in the doorway. She turns around and listens patiently. The man also turns and looks at J'Lant. It is the woman who speaks this time, but in Elven, not Common. Her voice is slow, careful, and full of honey and silk. "Do you have any proof of these accusations? I may be willing to offer what assistance I can, but not without something more than just your word. Victor has been a valuable ally to us. We have much to lose for confronting him with allegations of this nature if they turn out to be false or misleading."

MOD
2008-01-10, 10:02 PM
J'Lant

Responding in Elven, "What kind of proof are you looking for?"

dauphinous
2008-01-11, 08:17 AM
The woman lifts an eyebrow. "Something to reassure that we are not making a mistake. Your word does not fit that description. That is not a reflection on you, simply prudence. I cannot tell you exactly what such a thing would be, for I do not know details of the situation. When you have something, please do bring it before us. I will see to it that you have an audience with the full council then." With this, she leaves, and the man follows behind her, closing the door.

North
2008-01-11, 10:18 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh shrugs his shoulders after they leave. Elves....

MOD
2008-01-11, 11:01 PM
J'Lant

Sighing as they leave the Elders, " I do not see 'ow we can bring them proof without the dwarf in our 'ands. I guess we should 'ead back to the others per'aps they will 'ave some kind of proof to offer the elders. Unless either of you have an idea as to our next move."

dauphinous
2008-01-12, 07:02 AM
"Don't look at me." Mistan shakes his head. "A couple of days ago, I was in Attazadd's Idea, trying to figure out how to get up the nerve to ask Lena Hansen out on a date. A couple of hours ago, I was helping Akanan fight a Chosen of Mezanne." He grins and laughs at himself a little bit. "I think I'm a sidekick."

North
2008-01-13, 02:56 PM
Pleshnaril

Well, we did find out some information at least. Lets head back to the others and let them know. Plesh replies as he gets up and leaves the room to head back.

dauphinous
2008-01-15, 01:22 PM
Although the walk to Daolinlye was short, it takes over a half hour to get out, get down, and find the camp again. By the time J'Lant, Pleshnaril, and Mistan get back, two hours have passed since they left. Mistan is smiling cheerfully, and the first thing he says is, "Forest elves are a lot like other sorts of elves, just with more green things around."

MOD
2008-01-16, 01:09 PM
J'Lant

"Well, we 'ave visited with the elves and discovered some disturbing things." J'Lant says taking walking up to the group, "Firstly they are willing to listen and set up a meeting with Victor for us if we can provide proof that he is actually housing a homicidal dwarf. Secondly, it seems that this Victor fellow is either a really decent person that treats the elves incredibly well or the most skilled betrayer I 'ave ever 'eard of. Thirdly we need a new plan, that does not involve out right attacking the fort, it appears it is probably suicidal." With that J'Lant leans against a tree as nonchalantly as possible.

North
2008-01-16, 05:35 PM
Pleshnaril

Yeah the elves really seem to like him. Either that Victor guy is a huge chump that doesnt know whats going on in his own base. Or the elves are for trusting him.

Eratosthenes
2008-01-16, 07:07 PM
Tom

Tom is sitting at the base of a tree, quietly chewing on a piece of grass, eyes closed when the others arrive. He smiles laconically, drawling, "Well, maybe we should just go and ask for an audience with this Victor fellow. This dwarf, she's not seen ol'J or Plesh, has she? Nevermind our newcomers here. So if'n he's in league with her, he might not know you're a'courtin' with us."

Tom grins, adding, "Feel like talkin' to some gnolls?"

kariokie
2008-01-17, 06:07 AM
Getty

Getty had been silent since explaining their situation. Instead of her usual kinetic form of waiting -- pacing and juggling -- she leans against a tree for the time, looking in the direction of the fort. She wants to tear down the walls, walk inside, and kick the dwarf in the teeth. Not just for her crimes, but for forcing Getty to see that those of her friends who had stayed in the 'business' had been right. It was a kill or be killed world, cruel and unpredictable. Good did nothing but get people hurt. That the only way to protect those you cared about was to become as harsh as those that threatened them.

Crossbow in hand the entire time, it raises slightly when her keen ears note the others approaching, but then lowers again. She listens to the report in silence, staring off in the distance a while before speaking. "That is a dangerous proposition, young Tom. This Victor individual, if wise, will require the same level of proof that the elves do. He will not permit us to indict his employee based merely on our statements. We will then have possibly have tipped our hand to, and made their identities known to, the murderous dwarf, without ensuring anything comes of it."

If the man was as logical as he seemed -- Getty was not so foolish to believe that he was good, nor that the elves cared whether he was good or not so long as he was a good neighbor -- he would either be aware of his employee's doings or would simply fire her if he was made aware and thought her actions threatened him. There was no compelling reason for him to do anything beyond that, and no way for the group to enforce any outcome other than that.

Reasonably, of course, the point would be to accuse the dwarf of crime, with enough evidence presented to the elves to support the accusation. Then the elves could bring the evidence to Victor and make it clear that they did not approve of a murderess residing so close to them and demand that she be given to the proper authorities.

The pieces fell in perfectly: the elves wanted a good neighbor and peace, and the dwarf was conducive to neither. They were happy not too look too closely at their neighbor, but could not ignore something so blatantly dangerous. Victor, if he was intelligent, valued his fort and peaceful relations with the elves more than his employee. And the dwarf was too f---ing smug to see it coming.

Getty doesn't say this, however, as none of it seems as satisfying as stabbing the dwarf in the gut. The law had not worked before. A blade would.

MOD
2008-01-19, 02:24 AM
J'Lant

"Well, Getty," J'Lant says slowly, "Do you know of any proof we could offer Victor or the elves?"

Web comic updates Good!:smallbiggrin:

Forum Exploding from Web comic updates. Bad!:smallmad:

kariokie
2008-01-20, 05:33 AM
Getty

Getty considers for a minute, then answers. "Beyond the testimonies of the individuals harmed by, or witness to, her crimes, no. There is no physical proof that I can recall."

Santanya
2008-01-20, 12:08 PM
Akanan

Akanan falls quiet after listening, his mind working over anything that might be helpful. As the others approach, he stands, his hand falling to his mace, but not drawing it forth.

He listens to the others, nodding slightly. "What lead you to know or believe it was this dwarf residing in the fort?" he asks curiously. "If that was enough to spur you all into action, is it enough for any court?"

Eratosthenes
2008-01-20, 01:18 PM
Tom

Tom opens his mouth to speak, thinks better of it...then thinks better of that. "Well, I, well, I saw her in there, reading a book not a care for any of them dark deeds she's done done. Twice. I magicked my way into seein' her, I did." Tom shrugs, knowing that that's probably not very helpful.

"I'm not sure what more proof these elves need other'n eyewitnesses. They want us to bring'em dead bodies, or somethin'? We need some way to figure out whether this Victor fellow is in league with the dwarf, or if he's unknowing. If he's in league, then, we got problems. If he's not, perhaps he'll be an ally."

North
2008-01-20, 02:14 PM
Pleshnaril

Umm... Yeah I dont know how we could ever prove that she did it. Thats not really anything Ive done before. I usually just had to deal with how to get out of trouble...

So are the group of us going to attack the fort? Dibs out on the giant monster!!

kariokie
2008-01-20, 02:37 PM
Getty

"She is implicated in the first murder of an individual. By the murdered individual himself, and through magic that replayed the scene. We set out to bring her to justice, with a lawful writ. At night she came upon our camp with intent to kidnap us. After assaulting us, nearly leading to our deaths, she imprisoned Tom and I, as well as two others."

"She restored the individual -- Fingers was his name -- to life using the same dagger of dark magic she used to kill him, and she sent us with a mission to steal items from a tomb in Ciderspring, threatening our lives if we did not comply. After various misadventures, we discovered the individual she wished the sword from was still alive -- a vampire. Who permitted us to end the suffering of his thralls, and then allied with us to capture the dwarf and turn her into the authorities. He has since joined the town guard of Ciderspring."

"She was transported back to Haversill, where she was held for trial. A gnoll set a fire on the edge of town, and the sheriff ran to assist, leaving a priestess of Besille as the sole guard of the dwarf. The priestess was murdered during the dwarf's escape, and the sheriff nearly was as well."

"Two of the companions who witnessed her evils have died. Two have disappeared. Two have left. Only Tom and I remain as witnesses, aside from the sheriff in Haversill, and any magical divinations that are admissable."

North
2008-01-20, 06:46 PM
Pleshnaril

Yeah Tom couldnt you just magic up something? Plesh asks excitedly.

dauphinous
2008-01-20, 08:07 PM
Mistan flops himself down next to the Oracle. She's still out cold, of course, and he checks her arm, presumably for a pulse. Apparently satisfied by what he finds, he turns to watch and listen to Getty recount the tale of the dwarf. "Wow. So, is there any way we could get our hands on any one of the weapons she used to kill anyone?" The next sentence is delivered as if he heard it in a lecture and memorized it for whatever reason. "Objects retain impressions of events they have participated in that can be accessed by talented wielders of the arcane arts. Um, if they have a mage, they might accept what that mage says the weapon was used for."

MOD
2008-01-20, 10:26 PM
J'Lant

"I would think that the sheriff of 'aversill or Cidersprings would 'ave confiscated whatever weapons and other items the dwarf was carrying when she was arrested, if she was carrying the dagger at the time of 'er arrest they would 'ave it, and quite possibly if they still 'ave it be in great danger."

kariokie
2008-01-21, 02:45 PM
Getty

"She employed a certain magical dagger in both the murder and resurrection of James. I do not recall it being confiscated from her at her arrest. I believe the item was of interest to her employer, though I do not recall."

North
2008-01-22, 04:45 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh thinks for a bit. Straight head to head I think were gonna lose, but a few might be able to do it.....What if we busted in and tried stealing the dagger?We could sneak in and try and find it. Maybe you guys could make a bunch of your explodeyness to cause a big distraction for me?

Plesh thinks a bit more. Or since youve already made a bunch of big distractions. Maybe me and Getty just sneak in and kill her....then take the dagger.

North
2008-01-22, 04:46 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh thinks for a bit. Straight head to head I think were gonna lose, but a few might be able to do it.....What if we busted in and tried stealing the dagger?We could sneak in and try and find it. Maybe you guys could make a bunch of your explodeyness to cause a big distraction for us?

Plesh thinks a bit more. Or since youve already made a bunch of big distractions. Maybe me and Getty just sneak in and kill her....then take the dagger.

MOD
2008-01-22, 09:23 PM
J'Lant

"I guess it depends on if she still has the dagger on her person, Tom can you magic up the location of the dagger?"

Eratosthenes
2008-01-25, 12:18 PM
Tom

Tom thinks for a moment. "I ain't so sure that I could. And anyhow, it's prolly just wherever she is. Inside there." Tom points in the direction of the fort, as if their doom and/or salvation lay that way. Which perhaps it did.

Intrigued, Tom asks, "Objects remember stuff? I hope no one asks my brother's bed for any stories. I think my ma would go straight to bein' a ghost. Or is it just weapons? Did ol'Elf boy give us anything of the...erm...victim's?"

North
2008-01-25, 07:41 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh uncharacteristically sits quietly as the deliberate over what to do/

MOD
2008-01-27, 02:21 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant waits quietly for someone in the know to respond to Tom's question.

I guess we are on mini vacation while Karioke is off and about?

North
2008-01-27, 08:38 PM
Pleshnaril

Umm I dont think that Mirallien would have used any of the weapons Lorrylith gave us. Plesh thinks for a bit. Well we could go back to Haversill to see if they have anything of hers but that feels.... not right. I couldnt face Lorrylith . OH! What if we captured one of the gnolls and interrogated it! Find out more of whats going on in the fort. More about this Victor guy and the evil dwarf. We dont even need to capture it! The elves were saying that the gnolls help out with the locals when theyre in trouble or something. Maybe we could fake an accident or something and get the gnolls to help us, we ask some questions and take him prisoner if we need more information! the pixie finishes excitedly.

MOD
2008-01-28, 02:59 AM
J'Lant

"Well," J'Lant says rubbing his chin at the pixies words, "We could say that we have lost my 'orse and were wondering if they 'ave seen it anywhere, that might get their cooperation in finding my missing Muffin. Though we should probably wait until the Oracle is awake before we enact any plan that might involve running away quickly."

Eratosthenes
2008-01-28, 10:16 AM
Tom

Tom cogitates for a while, before shrugging, "Now, I don't rightly have any items myself that were present for no murders, but I myself was witness to this old dwarf's own confessions of murder, at least of poor Fingers, may he rest in peace...twice...You reckon that'd be enough for these elves? My hammer here's been there if they don't done believe me."

Speaking to Getty as an aside, he adds, "You know it's funny this ol'dwarf is in league with gnolls...our first run in with her was when she and hers were a'fightin'em off."

dauphinous
2008-01-28, 11:02 AM
Getty nods to Tom. "I agree this is aberrant and possibly worth investigating. It may illuminate matters as far as Victor is concerned. I also was there at the tavern, and in the cell, and at that event where she did, in fact, try to kill us. Perhaps one or more of my belongings will also be of use in this endeavor."

"If we intend to capture gnolls, we should, in addition to contriving a plan for said capture, also determine what information we wish to gather from it."

North
2008-01-28, 04:04 PM
Pleshnaril the Theoristician

The gnolls were attacking the dwarf? Who were she and hers? Maybe this dwarf lady has Victor captive and is holding him hostage or mind controlling him! And all his gnoll buddies are all "Oh Noes dont kill Victor boss man!" So shes controlling them too! And they are having to free her even though they dont want too because Victor is poisoned or something! So if we find the Gnolls they are gonna be all we'll help you get the dwarf person if you free our boss guy from the magic the evil dwarf put her under. And then we can be heroes who save the gnolls and Victor from the evil dwarf lady!

OOC: Please go to OOC thread for metagameness.

MOD
2008-01-28, 06:44 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant rubs his temples, "We need to make a desision. Capturing a gnoll is dangerous and is a lot more likely to get us all killed. As is out right attacking the fort. Per'aps the elves will have some sort of magic that can read yours and Gettys clothing Tom. That could be all the proof they need. 'opefully."

Eratosthenes
2008-01-29, 10:57 AM
Tom

Tom stands slowly, reluctantly. "Alrighty. Let's go talk to these elves. They best not be prodding and pokin' too much. I ain't one of Getty's 'periments."

Santanya
2008-01-29, 11:41 AM
Akanan

Akanan sits quietly listening, trying to draw in the whole picture of what was happening. This seemed worse than Brenn. At least then there was a very clear picture of who the malevolent individual was, even if there was little solid proof of the encounter. A slight frown crosses his face as he thinks of it, wondering how the others were in regards to him.

As the others begin to rise, he does as well, cursing softly under his breath. "Damnit all. Whatever happened to seeing evil and smiting it in its tracks?" he mutters.

North
2008-01-29, 06:24 PM
Pleshnaril

I know! Its so much easier when they are all "Grr. Arrr"

MOD
2008-01-30, 12:00 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods his head in agreement with Plesh and Akanan's comments. "Let us be off then as soon as the Oracle awakens from her trance. She would probably enjoy a meeting with the elves after all." J'Lant grins a little but stays warry of his surroundings in thier otherwise exsposed position.

dauphinous
2008-01-30, 12:24 PM
The Oracle sucks in a noisy breath rather suddenly, then opens her eyes. She takes whatever assistance is offered to get to her feet. Although she is a little wobbly on those feet for a few moments, it seems to pass quickly and she is ready to walk with the group. Once the plan is explained to her, she just nods and starts moving. Being barefoot doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest.

Upon reaching the area where the smaller group was challenged previously, there does not seem to be anyone around, or they perhaps have simply decided to let everyone pass without comment this time. The rope ladder that was used earlier has been replaced properly, and there is no obvious way to get the horse or the donkey up to the town above.

North
2008-01-30, 03:58 PM
Pleshnaril

So we go up there and then we can try and find the elders again. The pixie tells everyone as he flies up top.

Eratosthenes
2008-01-31, 12:33 PM
Tom

Looking around, then gazing upwards, Tom seems leery. "Ah hell, we're going up there?"

Tethering the horses as best he can, Tom follows the spritely sprite up into the treetop town.

dauphinous
2008-01-31, 01:05 PM
There are plenty of trees around to tether the horses to, and no one seems inclined to offer any sort of advice or assistance, or even a welcome, for that matter.

"How exactly are we doing the getting up there part?" The Oracle looks up dubiously, watching as Pleshnaril flies up, then as Mistan and Tom and Getty start up the ladder.

Santanya
2008-01-31, 01:15 PM
Akanan

Akanan looks dubiously at the ladder as the other ascend, then looks to the Oracle with a touch of surprise when she asks. "There's a ladder," he says, tilting his head slightly. "Over here," he says, moving next to the ladder and taking a grip of it to steady it. "Go on up," he adds, helping her find it with a hand once she moves closer. "I'll come once everyone else is up there." He taps his half plate a couple times with a finger. "Might be a bad idea to have more than just myself on it," he says with a smile and waits for her, standing directly below in case she falls.

dauphinous
2008-01-31, 02:10 PM
"A ladder." She sounds decidedly unhappy about it. Despite her grace on the ground, watching her climb up the ladder isn't so different from watching a fish trying to flop across rocks. There is clinging, groping, grasping, and slipping, and she does fall, from about 15 feet up.

Akanan catches her without issue, and she's fine, but she looks back up when her feet are on the ground again. "Maybe I should just stay here with the horses."

North
2008-01-31, 02:21 PM
Pleshnaril

Oh my forest! Are you ok! The pixie flies back down to the oracle. Im sorry that is this place isnt Oracle-Accessible.

North
2008-02-01, 07:28 PM
Pleshnaril
The pixies flies back up to the top. K Once Akanan gets up here we can go find that place again. J'Lant do you remember where it was?

MOD
2008-02-01, 09:44 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant stares as the Oracle falls into Akanan's arms. He shakes his head, "I am sorry Oracle that you cannot join us, but 'opefully we will be back quickly. There are some rations in Muffin's pack if you get 'ungry."
J'Lant quickly climbs into the waiting city the elves have built.

Responding to Plesh's question."Yes, I do. Should we look for a magic user who can read Tom and Getty's clothing, or," J'Lant shakes his head, "no the elves would want to do that themselves."

Santanya
2008-02-02, 03:13 AM
Akanan

Akanan looks up the ladder. "Hold on tightly, please," he says as he moves forward with the Oracle still in his arms. As soon as she shifts to hold on, he begins carefully climbing the ladder, taking his time to avoid falling.



Just taking 10 to climb the ladder, taking as much time as it needs to make sure they do not fall.

dauphinous
2008-02-02, 07:04 AM
The Oracle stays still as she holds on, and Akanan can reach the top with her. Once her feet are on the floor, she leaves a hand on his arm and grasps it firmly. She seems a little more comfortable once she gets a hand on the tree supporting the spiral stair up, but is completely unwilling to go anywhere without someone holding onto her. Which is probably for the best, given the minimal nature of the railings and the number of steps and inclines all across the town.

The elves in the town stare openly as the group troops through. A small group of light-skinned mephits flutter around gawking. Once the unremarkable building that is the Ostarened is reached, the ancient elf woman is still sitting inside with a book, and the lobby is just big enough for everyone to fit, though the space is a bit cramped.

MOD
2008-02-02, 12:04 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods to the aged elf when the group enters, " 'ello, again." J'Lant says calmly, "We 'ave an appointment with Elder Kiraestal and Elder Nemerisse. We 'ave gathered the proof that was asked for."

North
2008-02-02, 01:16 PM
Pleshnaril

Yeah, these guys saw a bunch of stuff the evil dwarf did! the pixie exclaims.

dauphinous
2008-02-03, 07:49 PM
The elf woman blinks a couple of times. "Oh, you brought some more friends this time." She looks everyone over, her eyes lingering a little on the Oracle's bare feet. "I can check if they have any time for this right now, but it may be a while."

She leads everyone to a different room than the first visit, this one is farther down the hall. It is a little bigger, possibly selected because the group is larger, but is otherwise the same: dripping with plants, plenty of comfortable looking places to sit, and a green color scheme. She closes the door when she leaves.

"At least the waiting rooms are nice." Mistan picks up a glass of water and takes it to an armchair, where he sits.

Eratosthenes
2008-02-03, 07:51 PM
Tom

Tom winces when the Oracle falls. He was feeling petty and annoyed at having to tromp into the elven city, all because they couldn't take the time to ask a few questions of their neighbor. He realizes he's being immature though; here was a woman who couldn't see, and she was making the effort to climb a tree.

Sighing to himself, Tom glares back at the elves and other creatures that gawk at the troupe. Secretly to himself he's in awe of the treetop city around them, but he doesn't want to give them the satisfaction of impressing a bunch of rubes.

He can't help but thinking though that that's exactly what he is: some farmer boy off chasing a magic-wielding murderer.

Entering the audience chamber, Tom gives a meek smile before the ancient woman, saying only, "Hi."

MOD
2008-02-04, 04:32 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant makes a cursory examination of the room and takes a seat next to Mistan pouring himself a glass of water. He waits anxiously for the arrival of the elves.

J'Lant will see if he knows anything about the plants in the room...

Knowledge Nature[roll0] Holy crap I'm rolling a lot of natural 20s lately. So a 33.

Santanya
2008-02-04, 05:31 PM
Akanan

Once in the tree, breathing slightly harder for the climb, Akanan looks around, following the others as they move, but stays close to the Oracle to assist her through the treetop town. Inside the house, he guides her to a chair before finding one for himself, taking a glass of water as he does.

North
2008-02-04, 05:33 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh jumps onto one of the chairs and spends the waiting period watching his feet kick back and forth.

MOD
2008-02-05, 05:00 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant leans over the one of the plants for a closer look.

"Ahh, yes, this is a Jasmine plant, and not your usual variety 'ere," J'Lant points to some yellow spots that are a little difficult to see, "these indicate that it originated from Sambris." Quickly standing up he walks over to an ivy clinging to the wall.

"And this one from Kor-Styl," he jets over to one of the grasses, "and this from well, 'ere, Tarn,"

"Fascinating...," J'Lant exclaims, "there are plants from all over the world in this room," J'Lant looks genuinely impressed.

These plants alone speak volumes about these elves.

dauphinous
2008-02-07, 03:16 PM
After a half hour of waiting, the door opens, and it two male elves dressed in identical chain shirts with green clothing underneath usher in Nemerisse. The two men are armed, carrying swords and daggers. Nemerisse looks as she did before, wearing the same green and white gown.

"Please excuse the precautions." She makes a very slight gesture to indicate the two men flanking her. "No one else is available, yet they insist that I should not meet a group of armed travelers alone." There is very little to suggest it, but there is a bare hint that she finds this amusing; a light twinkle in her eye, perhaps, or the tiniest upturn of her lips.

Santanya
2008-02-07, 05:53 PM
Akanan

Akanan stands as the door opens, looking over the two armed elves entering. As the female elf enters, he bows his head slightly, staying on his feet. "That is understandable," he says as he straightens back up.

MOD
2008-02-07, 09:58 PM
J'Lant

"Thank you for seeing us again, this is Tom, Getty, Akanan, and... the Oracle," J'Lant motions to each person as he says their name, pausing briefly at the awkwardness of introducing the Oracle, "We 'ave brought the proof you asked for, Tom and Getty 'ave both been witness to and victims of the dwarf's actions and their clothing can authenticate their words."

dauphinous
2008-02-08, 07:29 AM
Now Nemerisse smiles genuinely, the expression reaching to her eyes. "Ah. An excellent solution to your problem." She turns to the elf on her right. "Would you go and fetch a small bag? We should avoid touching these things." He gives her a mildly exasperated glare, but nods and leaves. She turns to the other elf and opens her mouth, but he cuts her off.

"I'm not going anywhere and leaving you alone here, Elder, no matter what you say."

"As you say. Then I will go myself. When Seylor returns, collect whatever they wish to offer for this." She looks up at the group. "You have my word that anything you offer for this will be returned in the condition it was received in. I cannot say how long it will take, though. I shall see about extracting an estimate on that for you." Nemerisse turns to go, but she looks directly at the Oracle. "'The Oracle', you said?"

"Yes, Elder." The Oracle, who has remained seated during this time, laces her hands together across her lap and looks remarkably like she would rather be just about anywhere but here. Of course, she's looked that way since she started up the rope ladder.

"Interesting." Nemerisse turns and leaves at this. The guard remains standing at the door, which is hanging open at the moment.

Eratosthenes
2008-02-08, 03:56 PM
Tom

The elven woman leaves Tom speechless, at first. He can't help but keep his eyes on her, half-focused. The twinkle in her eye was stronger than most enchantments.

At her discussion of taking things from the group, Tom manages to collect himself. "Aw, it ain't no bother, ma'am. I hain't sure what all would be useful."

Tom pats himself down, thinking about what he's had on him that might've served mute witness. He'd changed his clothes at least twice, and they'd acquired several other items while last in Haversil. His hand comes to rest on the small lump of metal at his waist.

Taking the blacksmith's hammer from its hanger, he looks at it longingly, tapping it lightly in his hand. This had been his first hammer, at a time he was thinking of apprenticing as a smith. That wasn't going to happen now, and likely never would, but he'd kept it as a reminder of his hometown.

Tom never thought he was sentimental much, but giving away the hammer panged him. Finally, he hands it over, "Aw shucks, it ain't much, but this old hammer's been with me thru all that dastardly dwarf's machinations. I figure if it cain't tell you nuthin', then, well, we hain't got nuthin' to tell."

North
2008-02-08, 04:46 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh walks behing Toms big body and vanishes. Maybe I should keep an eye on the elf lady? Just in case. The pixie then comes around the party and begins tailing the Elder.

Move Silently = 25 Hide = 33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1485987/)

dauphinous
2008-02-08, 05:16 PM
When the one elf guard comes back with a bag, he has Tom put his hammer into it, and Getty puts a dagger of hers inside it. Then he nods his head as a sort of bow and leaves again. The other guard looks primarily at Tom.

"You are free to stay here for now, if you wish. If Elder Nemerisse does not know how long it will be, then I do not, either. Should you like to get a room at the inn, I can have a runner sent there to let you know when she wishes your presence again."

MOD
2008-02-10, 12:47 AM
J'Lant

"Well an inn sounds like a good idea for now." J'Lant says nodding to the guard, "I seem to remember seeing one that looked pretty good, called, The Melting Pot or something like that."

dauphinous
2008-02-10, 08:21 AM
The guard blinks a couple of times. "Possibly you mistook the Elven sign for Common at a glance. The inn in Daolinlye is called Melloktepio. 'Golden Cherry Blossom'. I will have word sent there for you." He nods and steps out the door.

Only a few moments after this, Pleshnaril enters, escorted by two other guards. He is covered in some sort of glittery dust.

North
2008-02-11, 02:41 PM
Pleshnaril

Plesh walks in being escorted by the guards and looking slightly embarrassed. Hey guys. His eyes shifting around as he tries wiping the stuff off his arms.

Eratosthenes
2008-02-11, 03:01 PM
Tom

Tom stares wide-eyed at the pixie, as he's being escorted in. He looks about nervously. When it's apparent nothing more untoward is about to happen, he turns to J'lant, "Let's get ourselves on to yon tavern. I'm thinkin' I'm a'needin' a drink."

MOD
2008-02-11, 09:44 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant raises an eyebrow at the pixie as he enters. "I would most 'eartily agree, Tom." J'Lant walks over to the guards holding Plesh. "I will take 'im off your 'ands and make sure 'e does not cause any more trouble."

dauphinous
2008-02-12, 07:47 AM
The guards just both nod and watch everyone leave the room. The inn isn't very difficult to find, primarily because J'Lant has been there, but also because the sign has an exquisite carving of a bunch of cherry blossoms in gold. The group gathers a small contingent of mephits - which look very much like 3 foot tall humans with horns on their foreheads and long pointed tails and leathery wings and whitish-blue skin - that follow them in the air at a distance of 10-15 feet. They are chattering animatedly amongst themselves in some wispy, whistling language.

The inn is a clean, well-lit, arc shaped room, clearly shaped by the tree it is attached to. Along one short wall, there is a bar with an elven woman behind it, dressed in a bright, cheerful red and blue dress. Along most of the space are booths attached to the far wall. A set of stairs leads up at the end opposite the bar, and door behind the bar suggests where the storage for the bar (and possibly a kitchen) might be. In all, the room is not very big. There are only 5 booths, each looking to seat four comfortably and six if the group are all good friends. There are some extra chairs lined up against the wall with the front door.

A young elven boy, probably no more than 15 or so, rushes over to the door and holds it open for everyone. He speaks in elven, his voice the high pitch of youth. "Welcome to Golden Cherry Blossom, the bestest inn ever."

The mephits do not follow the group into the inn.

Santanya
2008-02-12, 11:11 AM
Akanan

Akanan waits for the Oracle to stand, once again offering her his assistance as they traverse the elven city. As they enter, he looks around, taking in the tavern and the current residents of it. He waits quietly for the others to head to a table or seats, guiding himself and the Oracle around any obstacles and letting her sit down first. "Well," he says, shrugging slightly. "That did not seem so bad. Should we arrange for rooms now or wait and see if it will take that long?"

North
2008-02-12, 02:52 PM
Pleshnaril

Do you have a bath? I need to wash this stuff off. Plesh says in elven indicating the glittery junk on himself. To the others he says Ill explain what happened after I get this gunk off.

dauphinous
2008-02-12, 04:09 PM
The boy thinks about Pleshnaril's question for a few moments. <elven>"Mom!"

The woman in the red and blue dress stops doing something that can't be seen behind the bar and looks up. She speaks loudly without getting any closer. Not that she's terribly far away. <elven> "All of our rooms have a private bath. Do you want to rent a room?"

MOD
2008-02-12, 10:15 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant looks at Plesh with an eyebrow raised. "A bath, you say Pleshnaril? Per'aps I can remedy your problem without necessitating the use of water." J'Lant then attempts to telekinetically remove all of the glittery mess off of Plesh and place it in a neat pile on the table for examination.

dauphinous
2008-02-13, 02:56 AM
Despite J'Lant's efforts, the dust seems to be firmly affixed to the pixie. He is able to get a minute amount scraped off, but it will probably take hours to get it all. The pixie is thoroughly covered and it seems sticky to the touch.

Mistan flumfphs himself down into the booth across from the Oracle. He looks like he might say something, but glances as the two elves and snaps his mouth shut.

The Oracle stays quiet, going where Akanan guides her.

MOD
2008-02-13, 04:52 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant places the small amount glittery dust he could scrape off of Plesh, onto the table, "Well Plesh I would say its off to the bath with you. I cannot seem to scrape this stuff off at any consequential rate." J'Lant turns to the elf behind the bar, and says in Elven, "We would like a round of your most moderately priced alcohol and also a round of your finest water."

dauphinous
2008-02-13, 06:07 AM
The boy runs and retrieves a key for Pleshnaril, then the woman brings over enough empty glasses for everyone, followed by two pitchers: one of ale and one of plain water. She also sets a small dish of lemon wedges on the table. The boy presents the key proudly to Plesh, declaring that it goes to room 3, which is upstairs, and clearly marked.

The Oracle laces her fingers together on the table and takes a moment to 'look' around at everyone. "If this gambit succeeds, what will you do then? Once you no longer have this dwarf to find, I mean."

North
2008-02-13, 12:26 PM
Pleshnaril

Well, Im gonna head upstairs and try and get this stuff off. Plesh sighs after quickly downing a glass of ale. Stupid dust n stupid bath he grumbles as he goes upstairs to the room.

kariokie
2008-02-14, 12:51 AM
Getty

She's not quite uncooperative, but it's obvious throughout the process of going to the elf's town and handing over the evidence that it isn't what Getty wants to do. All she wants to do is break into the fort and kick in the dwarf's smug little teeth, not nancy about with some elves who will end up looking for any excuse to avoid confrontation. In the presence of the Oracle she feels petulant and childish and shamed for these thoughts. She remains silent and distant, just flipping a coin over and over as she lurks behind the group throughout the proceedings.

She pulls up a chair to the edge of the booth and sits in it, then tilts it back so it balances on two legs. Her expression is distant until the Oracle speaks, then her bird-like eyes focus and take in the woman.

Getty won't answer the Oracle's question with a lie even if she would lie to one of Besille, she is absolutely no good at it, anyhow and she can't ignore the question either, as it would be disrespectful. However, obfustication via her expansive vocabulary is always an option. "I believe after this situation has been properly administered I will take an offer previously extended to me by former associates to join their collective of like-minded individuals in a profit-seeking venture."

dauphinous
2008-02-14, 07:32 AM
The Oracle looks at Getty with her head tilted very slightly to the left. "If you were willing to delay that for a short time, I would be very grateful for an escort back to my home. I belong in Calishae, Tingiltaur specifically. Once there, I do have a significant amount of funds available to me, and I can offer you payment for this service. I regret that I can offer nothing at the moment to purchase supplies. I also have no idea how far it is, as it has been quite a long time since I saw a map and I don't ordinarily travel much."

MOD
2008-02-14, 12:08 PM
J'Lant

"Well I am game for escorting you back to your 'ome, Oracle, its not like I have buisiness elsewhere that I 'ave to attend to." J'Lant says telekinetically lifting the pitcher ale and pouring himself a glass.

kariokie
2008-02-15, 01:48 PM
Getty

Getty slowly lets the chair's front legs fall forward. The chair picks up speed for the last few inches, and the two legs land with an audible thud. Getty doesn't react outwardly to the sound, instead looking at the Oracle, her head tilted in a similar fashion.

She wants to say no. She wants to have a clean break, cut off the part of her that wanted to be a hero, and move on with her life to something more sensible.

Of course, she couldn't do that yet. She could quite possibly owe her life to those that did Besille's work. At the minimum, she certainly did owe them several fingers and toes. So, finish this, and then move on. "Monetary reward is not an issue. I will assist in your conveyance to your abode." It's said quietly, reluctantly.

dauphinous
2008-02-18, 05:45 PM
"Thank you. I'm not sure how I would get home, otherwise." She sits back, more relaxed than she has been since climbing the ladder up to this place. "Could I have something to drink?"

Darkness falls over the town several hours later with no word from the Elders. Three elven patrons have wandered into the inn in this time, each giving the group a looking over when they walk in, then sitting at the bar and ordering a drink.

MOD
2008-02-18, 09:41 PM
J'Lant

"Sure Oracle, what would you like? Water or ale or something else? I am sure the Golden Cherry Blossom has plenty to offer." J'Lant takes a look at each of the elves when they enter giving them a friendly nod before returning to the group.

J'Lant makes idle chit chat and looks towards the stairs every so often hoping that the sneaky pixie would return. Plesh's abrupt exit had caused a stir of curiosity in J'Lant, what had that he been up to? "Does anyone know what this stuff is?" J'Lant says pointing to the small pile of glittery dust.

Santanya
2008-02-19, 09:46 PM
Akanan

Akanan listens to the exchange between the Oracle and the others, nodding slightly. Home seemed very far away at this point to him. He still wasn't entire sure where he was, or how to get back even. It felt like there was too much left undone there as well, which didn't help. He looks to his cup of mead for a few moments thinking quietly to himself.

He glances at the others, shrugging off the slight feeling of homesickness as the evening wears on. He glances towards the windows. "We probably should arrange for rooms for the all of us," he says. "Even if they come back with an answer now, it would be foolhardy to go out into the woods just to bed down on the ground."

kariokie
2008-02-20, 10:00 AM
Getty

Getty fills a mug with ale then returns to tilting back in her chair as she drinks it. "It's Glitterdust, an alchemical substance utilized to reveal invisible intruders." She takes a long sip of the ale, then leans her head back and looks up towards the ceiling.

MOD
2008-02-20, 11:18 PM
J'Lant

"Ah, thank you Getty," J'Lant says downing his glass of ale, "Well, I am going to check on Plesh, it 'as been some time since he went to rinse this Glitterdust off of 'imself."

J'Lant makes his way upstairs to Plesh's room, but as he hits the staircase he turns glances back, "Lets discuss rooms when Plesh returns, Akanan."

After making his way upstairs J'Lant knocks on Plesh's door, "'ey, Plesh are you ok in there?"

North
2008-02-21, 12:47 AM
Plesh

Plesh opens the door a few moments after J'Lant knocks. He looks slightly more blue then usual. The glitterdust, along with the dirt and grime the pixie has accumalated over the last few days being removed. Plesh hits himself in the side of his head. Ack I have water in my ear! Happens every time! Dangnabit baths!. Plesh pauses for a moment. Hehe I sound like Tom! Yeah Im fine, I just had to wash all that stuff the elves got on me. Have you guys gotten food yet? Im hungry!

MOD
2008-02-21, 01:27 AM
J'Lant

"Ack, no just drinks, come on lets get some food down with the others and you can regail us with tales of your misadventure."

dauphinous
2008-02-21, 07:59 AM
The fare at the Golden Cherry Blossom is mostly fruits and vegetables with sauces on the lighter side. They have several exotic fruits no one in the group has ever seen before, along with typical, standard ones like apples and pears. The Oracle seems quite pleased with the options and requests a specific dish, something called 'Meislie', that turns out to be nothing more than a variety of fruits and vegetables pre-cut into bite size pieces and arranged on a plate.

They do have one quite ordinary thing, which is a chicken and vegetable stew. Interestingly, as soon as the woman tending the bar actually opens the door behind it, the smells of fresh baking bread and some unusual spices flood into the place. Mistan orders the stew, and it turns out to be source of the strange spices. He digs into it with gusto.

Santanya
2008-02-21, 12:27 PM
Akanan

Akanan nods to J'Lant as he leaves, shrugging slightly. As food is ordered, Akanan orders stew and some fruit for himself, a quite pleased look on his face as it is served. "At least they make normal stew," he says quietly and digs into it hungrily. He glances to the others as he eats curiously.

North
2008-02-21, 12:41 PM
Plesh

The pixie comes downstairs with J'Lant and orders a big bowl of fruit. In a low voice Plesh gives an explanation of what happened. Well I followed the elder out the door right. She left it open after all. I took it as an omen from the gods I should follow her. I thought Id see her do some of the fancy magic or maybe shes actually in cahoots with the bad guys! Seeing the look on the rest of thier faces. Well you never know right? So I was tailing her really good. Being super sneaky then she went into the big fancy building. But when I went in an alarm sounded! Which is totally unfair because they never would have caught me otherwise. One of the guards said that if anyone unauthorized goes in the alarm goes off. Plesh stops for a moment to breathe. The guard said that a bunch of the elders keep getting attacked, ever since Daolinlye been here, thats why they have an alarm system like that. Maybe thats what happened to the other elder, maybe the dwarf knew we were coming here and tried to kill them to stop them from helping us? I dodged the guards and their stuff, and they never would have caught me, until another one came out, she was really grumpy, and used some magic or something. Plesh glowers at Tom. So they caught me..... by cheating mind you! Then I just explained that all I wanted to do was see magic and thier giant pile of treasure. Which they wouldnt show me! Then I think they just brushed me off for being a silly pixie and kicked me out.

OOC: Plesh's head is an interesting place.

MOD
2008-02-25, 09:53 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant listens intently to Plesh's story while eating the bowl of fruit he ordered. J'Lant takes a moment before responding, waiting for someone else's opinion to echo first. After a long silence, "Well, as much as I dislike the elders being attacked I do not think it changes anything for us at the moment."

J'Lant sighs, indifference wasn't his usual style.

Santanya
2008-02-27, 11:56 AM
Akanan

"Actually, don't be so quick to dismiss it," he says, tilting his head slightly. "I am unsure of the time frame, but could that be related to the ones we're after?" he asks. "If they have traps for those that are invisible, then there obviously was magic used," he pauses a moment, then shrugs. "It is a stretch, but worth concidering. It could also have been just Plesh's bad luck."

kariokie
2008-02-27, 01:22 PM
Getty

It was a puzzle, and so it perked Getty's interest, just a little. "As the diminutive bitch and this Victor individual appeared after the founding of this arboreal village, I do not believe a direct casual link is plausible if what Pleshnaril relays is entirely accurate and the attacks have taken place since the founding of the village."

"However, that does not exclude the attacks and the decision of Victor to select this precise location for his abode being somehow linked. I do not believe an individual who employed the dwarf could, in any way, be unaware of her nature, nor of her methods. She reeks of malice. Therefore, I operate under the assumption that he is merely more subtle than she, but has the same nefarious nature." Getty takes a sip of her drink. "Working under the assumption, then, that Victor is not the neighborly individual that the elves believe him to be, one has to wonder -- why would he chose this location to establish his fortification? It is a very large world, and there are not nosy neighbor elves in every nook and cranny. Why here?"

North
2008-02-27, 01:27 PM
Plesh

Well its definitely not to rob them of treasure. Because the elves said they dont have any treasure.... Unless they were lying?

MOD
2008-02-27, 04:54 PM
J'Lant

"An interesing theory Getty," J'Lant says inbetween bites of fruit, "Per'aps we can test it. Oracle, I am unsure of your abilites, but you do seem to be able to see 'black souls' in people, when you saw the 'black soul' in the forest eariler was it the only one you could detect, and 'ave you noticed any since?"

dauphinous
2008-02-27, 05:50 PM
The Oracle shrugs. "Some few souls are dark. Some few are bright," she makes an offhand gesture at Akanan. "Those few are easy to spot. Most people are not either. They are in between, and I cannot discern nuance like that from such a distance. If he was there when I looked, then his soul is not dark. That doesn't mean he is a good person, it just means he hasn't sunk to the level of corruption that this dwarf has. If you imagine it as a numerical scale from one to five, I can tell 1 and 5 at a glance, but the rest of the numbers all look the same. That is, of course, a gross oversimplification, but it is a reasonably accurate metaphor."

Eratosthenes
2008-02-28, 03:22 PM
Tom

Tom had kept to himself once they'd arrived at the elven inn. The fact that there was an inn seemed to have broken the veil of grandeur the city in the trees had cast on him; they obviously had the same needs and wants as any other old town, just higher up. He spent a few moments toying with the problem of inebriation at an altitude, and how they likely dealt with drunks.

Over all, however, he mostly was mulling over his future. It was curious irony that the Oracle could make him dwell on it. Her offer to escort her brought to the fore the idea that eventually, this annoying dwarf would be dealt with - he hoped at least - and then what?

Plesh's antics and teasing gained only the merest of grins from Tom, as he sipped his drink and nibbled on any available snacks. Mostly though, he just sat and stewed.

What was the relation between this village and the dwarf's haven? Who was this Victor, that he could have a dragon at his seeming beck and call? Was he the mysterious benefactor the dwarf had alluded to, when they'd been captive? What were the dwarf's goals; why was she such a damned cuss? And why couldn't these blasted elves see that anyone who deals with dragons or gnolls was up to no good? I mean, they had obviously made note when Tom and his companions had wandered into the area, surely they'd seen something worse from the dwarf and this Victor fellow.

Tom's thoughts idly drifted to the young elven woman who'd been spying on them in the tree, as a young man's mind does. And so he sits and sips and nibbles...

MOD
2008-03-03, 01:18 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant chuckles lightly musing mostly to himself, "Would it not be odd if all our speculations turned out to be wrong; that the dwarf is in fact not as evil as she appears and it is this Victor fellow 'o is the true evil and that is 'om the Oracle saw?" J'Lant leans back in his chair, floating his ale over for a sip. The ale floats itself down to the table and J'Lant rubs the small residue of alcohol around his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt before continuing.

"If we are going to be speculating I should mention some things we failed to mention our first trip. Firstly, it appears that Victor asked permission to move into 'is fort and to 'ouse a dragon there. Secondly, the gnolls that guard 'is fort have been known to assist the elvish scouts when they were in danger. Thirdly, that odd squirrel that ran off into the forest can, evidently, communicate telepathically when it wishes to."

dauphinous
2008-03-04, 02:14 PM
"Of course it can. But the Gods do not send creatures to this world to solve your problems for you. Besides, he had a rough time of it with the Chosen of Mezanne that Akanan defeated. Squirrels are just not up to the rigors of dealing with the corrupt, no matter what is inside the flesh." The Oracle shrugs. "Are we staying here tonight? We could just as easily leave and send Pleshnaril up in the morning to hear our news." There is a somewhat hopeful lilt to her tone towards the end.

"Doesn't matter to me. But Oracle, are you really that eager to climb down the ladder again?" Mistan grins and his tone telegraphs the grin clearly.

"It will have to be done sooner or later. Is it so wrong to prefer sooner?"

North
2008-03-04, 07:50 PM
Plesh

We mine as well get rooms here then. Just in case they need any of us. Or want to ask us questions or something. Just to be safe.

MOD
2008-03-04, 09:27 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant nods in agreement with Plesh.

kariokie
2008-03-04, 10:49 PM
Getty

Getty finishes her stew quickly. "I concur. Staying in this establishment is preferable to sleeping outdoors, and the odds of an undesired altercation are minimized. I will need to ensure that Heecor is secured, of course. I wonder if our arboreal-inclined hosts have a stable?" Getty stands and sets about securing rooms for the group.

Santanya
2008-03-05, 12:48 AM
Akanan

Akanan glances towards the Oracle over his stew. "I will assist you down again," he says. "It would be easier in the daylight for me though, I admit," he adds, almost sounding unhappy that it would be. "Its rather interesting that they fix stew the same," he says quietly. He shrugs slightly and finishes his meal.

"I can tell some things about people as well," he says as his mind clicks over what had been said. "I need to be closer, but I will be able to tell about the dwarf if we are in proximity."

dauphinous
2008-03-05, 08:39 AM
"The Forest Guard will watch over horses and such if you ask. There isn't any way for them to be brought up here that I know. I can send my boy off to find someone and ask them to make sure your animals are alright, if you like." There are enough rooms that everyone can have their own, if desired.

Mistan stands up and takes a key. "I'm going up right away. I've a got a few things I want to work on before I turn in. See you all in the morning."

The Oracle turns to Getty. "Getty, may I share a room with you tonight?"

Eratosthenes
2008-03-05, 08:54 AM
Tom

Tom breaks his sullen reverie, standing up while finishing his drink. "Cain't help but feel that them yon elves might just go'n tell ol'Victor we're here askin' about him. And I don't like it, onnnne bit. But, may as well make use of the lodgins."

The argument with himself seemingly resolved, Tom goes about doing what he needs to to procur a room, though unsuredly. The idea that this tavern in the trees operates the same as any other tavern escapes him.

Grr, the boards seemed to have ate the post I made yesterday

kariokie
2008-03-05, 09:44 AM
Getty

"Heecor would appreciate the protection, I am sure. Thank you."

Getty hesitates before answering the Oracle's question, but charges on through the words once she finally starts, her tone light. "If you do not mind the potential combustion of your sleeping environment, Oracle, then you are welcome to share my temporary domicile."

MOD
2008-03-05, 12:41 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant requests a room for himself as well before responding to Tom, "I would not worry yourself Tom. If the elves were going to tell Victor they would 'ave done so after our first encounter with them and thus our second encounter would most likely 'ave been unsuccessful."

dauphinous
2008-03-06, 12:34 PM
The boy is dispatched to request that someone watch over Heecor and Muffin. The rooms are small, but the beds are sized large enough for a tall human to be comfortable. Each room has a private bath, which is nothing more than a very small second room with a built-in bathtub. It has both hot and cold water available at the turn of a knob. All the rooms are sparsely decorated with a green/leaf motif.

Should anyone be awake at dawn, one of the elf guards from the Ostarened arrives at the inn. He sits at the bar and waits patiently until someone in the group makes an appearance.

MOD
2008-03-08, 01:25 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant is awakened rudely by dawn and clambers out of bed groggily. Stumbling about in a sleep hazed stupor he somehow manages to don his clothing and armor before making his way downstairs for some well deserved breakfast. "Morning," J'Lant yawns to the innkeeper and the guard, his backpack slung lazily over his shoulder. Taking a seat at a nearby table J'Lant orders a sensible breakfast, "Good news I 'ope," He says to the guard.

dauphinous
2008-03-08, 09:25 AM
The elf guard turns and nods at J'Lant. <elven>"News for sure. Good or bad is up to you." He offers a sealed tube of the general size and shape of a scrollcase. <elven>"I was asked to deliver this to the hands of someone in your group." Once the tube is taken, he drops a handful of gold pieces on the counter. <elven>"And to buy you breakfast. When you return to the Ostarened today, someone will see you as soon as possible." He gives a slight, perfunctory bow, then leaves.

MOD
2008-03-08, 11:06 AM
J'Lant

<elven> "Thank you," J'Lant says with a raised eyebrow as he places the sealed tube on his table. He sits staring at it, debating on whether to open it immediately or to wait for the group to arrive. After several minutes of indecision he decides to wait for the group to arrive before opening it.

Yay! He bought me breakfast! This scroll has to be good news then!

Santanya
2008-03-11, 08:45 PM
Akanan

Akanan rolls over in the bed of his room. Mumbling something about inconsiderate people making so much noise before it was even remotely time to get up.

I blame the DM for answering my time zone question for this!!!

North
2008-03-11, 11:47 PM
Plesh

Plesh arrives downstairs yawning and rubbing his sleepy eyes. He orders some breakfast and joins J'Lant. Whatcha got there?

kariokie
2008-03-12, 12:34 AM
Getty

Getty rises early to finish some work in her room, waiting for the Oracle to arise. Once she does, Getty assists her downstairs for breakfast. As she pours an obscene amount of sugar into two cups of black coffee, Getty asks, "Have we received any communication from the elven community or are we still awaiting the conclusion of their deliberations?"

MOD
2008-03-12, 05:18 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant motions vaguely towards the sealed tube. "A guard was 'ere earlier. 'e dropped off that tube for us. I was just waiting for everyone to wake up before opening it." J'Lant takes a long draught from his floating cup, " 'e said we will be seen quickly when we return to speak with the elders today." J'Lant leans back in his chair and gazes at the ceiling rotating his cup slowly in midair.

kariokie
2008-03-14, 01:50 AM
Getty

Getty pops open the sealed tube and reads its contents.

And yes, Getty knows Elven.

dauphinous
2008-03-14, 07:11 AM
The note is written in Elven, the letters flowing and somewhat loopy. The paper itself is watermarked with green oak leaves.

Message for J'Lant and companions.

At our request, the dwarf mage known as Camber Pintbellow will be delivered to the Ostarened in an incapacitated condition this morning. We request the opportunity to express our thanks for alerting us to the presence of this dangerous person. If you are amenable to such, we also propose to offer a stipend for the service of transporting this dwarf to the town of Haversill.

The signature at the bottom is completely illegible.

kariokie
2008-03-14, 04:16 PM
Getty

Getty reads the note aloud to the others, translating it into Common. She appends her own thought on the matter to the end: "P.S. Because the previous occasion when Camber was incarcerated in Haversill terminated so swimmingly."

North
2008-03-14, 09:00 PM
Plesh

So thats good right? Plesh thinks for a moment. Does Haversil execute murderers?

MOD
2008-03-14, 09:31 PM
J'Lant

"Wow," J'Lant says feeling a bit stunned, "It is exactly the outcome I was 'oping for." J'Lant floats his beverage down from its midair position, placing it firmly back to the table, "Getty, Plesh do not worry yourselves. I do not presume to know anything about the laws that govern 'aversill; so I believe a wait and see approach may be the best." J'Lant's smiles an odd smile that could be mistaken as mischievous if not for the unmistakable grimace the tone of his words imply.

If those layabouts do not rouse themselves from their unadulterated slumber soon...

dauphinous
2008-03-20, 11:34 AM
Eventually, the group finds themselves all awake and breakfasted. The short walk to the Ostarened offers a glimpse of the retreating forms of two gnolls, walking away from that building. They are both armed with multiple weapons - longswords, morningstars, daggers, crossbows, and spears - and wearing shiny metal armor that was obviously tailored specifically to them.

They walk with a purposeful stride, and the elves they pass, who are all about half their height, don't seem especially afraid of them, though they do step out of the gnolls' way, leaving them plenty of personal space.

"Wow. Those are big guys. With weird knees." Mistan stares openly at the gnolls as he walks.

Eratosthenes
2008-03-20, 04:01 PM
Tom

Tom can't help by feel his stomach lurch at the sight of the gnolls. His previous encounters with the dog-men had not been peaceable. The last encounter had nearly ended in his own demise.

He unconsciously moves his hand down to his belt, for the comfort of the hammer he always carried, only to find it missing. It takes him a minute to realize he had given it over to the tribunal or seers, or whomever it was - them elves.

Nodding to J'lant, he whispers quietly, " I never'n thought these here elves could be a useful enough ally, but perhaps I t'were wrong. Now'n, let us hope that they were done able to get that ornery dwarf in-kuh-pas-ee-tated. I still got me doubts on that part."

Santanya
2008-03-20, 04:37 PM
Akanan

Akanan frowns slightly, watching the two gnolls as they walk away. He stays near the Oracle, offering his arm to her as they move through the tree city. "They are, and well supplied it would seem," he says. "I hope you are right," he adds to Tom. "I do not know if it will be that simple though."

kariokie
2008-03-20, 07:32 PM
Getty

Getty gives the gnolls a sharp glance, but continues on her way with little comment. It seemed unlikely that someone who would employ gnolls would be up to any good -- but also equally unlikely that anyone would could have gnolls peacefully striding through an elven village would be so foolish as to stumble and prove himself up to no good.

MOD
2008-03-21, 01:44 AM
J'Lant

J'Lant glances briefly at the gnolls, interesting though they were, he was single minded in the task of the morning.

"Since Camber is skilled in magic I believe it would be prudent to not make assumptions on the identity of the captive and to be prepared for anything." J'Lant says whispers seriously looking at Tom and Getty.

dauphinous
2008-03-21, 08:00 AM
Once at the Ostarened, the old elf woman ushers everyone immediately into a large waiting room and hurries off. Only a minute or so passes before Nemerisse enters, accompanied by four male elf guards and one female elf guard. One of them has a person slung over one shoulder, which he unceremoniously dumps on the floor inside the room. Entering just after them, the male elder Kiraestal is accompanied by another female elf, this one dressed in a rich, velvety, purple gown. Her hair is a green tinted blonde, and cut very short.

The person now on the floor, whom Getty and Tom recognize immediately as the dwarf in question, is dressed in brown robes trimmed with red and matching boots. She is blindfolded, gagged, tied at the wrists and ankles, and there is some sort of blackened metal collar around her neck that has a seam making it appear that it has been welded on. Judging by the limp way she landed and her lack of reaction to the fall in general, it is a reasonable guess that she is unconscious.

As soon as the dwarf is brought in, the Oracle's mouth twitches and she looks a little disgusted. "That's the one."

The female guard moves up and nudges the dwarf with a foot, then offers Tom and Getty their weapons back. "I've personally verified that this is the dwarf in question. The collar prevents spellcasting. The rest of it is in case someone dispels the collar. Given her history, it seemed prudent to be extra careful."

"Will you deliver her to Haversill for us?" Nemerisse is looking directly at the Oracle, but the question is obviously directed at the whole group.

North
2008-03-22, 11:09 AM
Plesh

Wow thats great! No getting eaten for me! Plesh doesnt want to speak for the others but gives a nod to Nemerisses question.

MOD
2008-03-22, 01:58 PM
J'Lant

J'Lant glares at the dwarf lying on the floor, he swallows against the bile built up in his throat, before speaking. He looks up at Nemerisse, "I want you to know that I will personally ensure that this," he jerks his head at Camber, "will be brought back to 'aversill. There are a great many people that are counting on us to see that justice is done and am I sure that they would not be satisfied if we came back empty 'anded. I want you to know that we are grateful for your assistance."

kariokie
2008-03-23, 01:38 AM
Getty

"You seem to forget precisely how easily she escaped her captures previously -- and, in said escape, killed a priestess and seriously injured the sheriff." Getty shakes her head, It's difficult to say whether she's disgusted by the thought of what happened, or by how everyone thinks dragging the dwarf off suddenly fixes all of the problems in the world. Both, possibly. "That is exactly why I desired to deal with her in a more final manner. The legal system cannot be trusted to deal with such a malicious individual, as it does not have the facilities nor the capability."

She holds up a finger. "And the first individual who suggests that Camber is impotent without the support of the gnolls gets reminded that she may possess other allies, or individual gnolls might still be loyal to her."

MOD
2008-03-24, 09:45 PM
J'Lant

A stern expression forms on J'Lant's face as Getty mouths off. "Excuse me for one moment," he says quietly to Elders. Turning around he marches straight for Getty and leans in close so that only she can hear his words, "Getty, regardless of what any of us think of the situation, this is neither the time nor the place for a discussion. Camber is almost within our grasp, do not be so presumptuous as to think she already is. If you cannot, at the very least, be respectful, be silent or go wait with the animals." Anger and venom are evident in J'Lant's words.

He had thought Getty knew better than to open her mouth without thinking; she had seemed more intelligent than that. Hopefully his words would have the desired effect. Turning back to the Elders, "I apologize for the interruption. We could use some assistance taking Camber to our animals, if you are willing."

kariokie
2008-03-24, 10:28 PM
Getty

"Do not speak to me like that. Ever. You are in no way responsible for my behavior in any situation, nor do you speak for me." Her response is direct, and audible to the others, though remarkably calm.

Getty looks to the others in the rooms, her sharp eyes scanning across the faces. "If anyone is curious as to what he said, it was this." And then Getty repeats for the room, word for word, what J'Lant said to her. "I prefer that dialog be out in the open."

While not a person who could normally command a room -- though she has a certain outgoing way about her -- Getty obviously feels passionately about this topic. "I am not prepared to hand this incredibly dangerous criminal to a legal system that is so unprepared for detaining her that she murdered a pregnant priestess who was guarding her and nearly killed the sheriff. Neither of whom you know, J'Lant, and thus have no reason to be concerned about their well-being, it appears." She pauses. "However, Tom grew up in Haversill and knew them. I knew both and I was the one who created the plan to capture the dwarf and placed Camber in their care previously, leading to their death and injury. I am the person most responsible in this room for the death of the priestess, aside from Camber herself. I would like to discuss alternatives."

MOD
2008-03-24, 11:08 PM
J'Lant

"Please pardon us Elders for this unseemly behavior. 'owever, I feel that a public response is necessary."

J'Lant is surprised that Getty is not more circumspect and responds in a grave tone. "I will speak to you in whatever manner seems appropriate at the time, Getty. Since you deemed my words for everyone's ears, they also know that I never claimed to be responsible for your behavior or your speech, I will, 'owever, point out when your behavior and speach are inappropriate and out of line; as your behavior and speech are now and 'ave been."

"I 'ad been 'oping that we could be discreet among ourselves. We 'ad time at the inn to 'ave this discussion -- you read the note the Elders left for us. You 'ad an opportunity then to 'ave a reasoned discussion with us -- one that did not make us look like impetuous fools in front of the Elders." J'Lant motions toward the Elders, "But you did not. You came here knowing we would be taking the Camber into custody. It seems to me you purposely picked the worst possible moment to display your opinion. Discussion within our party should 'ave occurred at the inn or waited until a more private time. You, 'owever, seem to want to spout our business to the world. Then do so. There can be only one alternative to bringing the dwarf to 'aversill to stand for her crimes. State it."

kariokie
2008-03-25, 09:15 AM
Getty

"I am more interested in what the elders have to say."

Santanya
2008-03-25, 11:45 AM
Akanan

Akanan frowns, peering to the unconscious form before them. He speaks in a low voice. "There does come a time that one has shown that incarceration and rehabilitation are too dangerous to those about them. If the allegations that have been stated to this point are true, then a quick execution may be in the best interests of everyone concerned." He looks to the elders. "She should be brought to Haversille, in either state though. I believe you have seen evidence of where the truth lies in this matter though." He nods slightly towards them in an attempt to show respect for their decision.

dauphinous
2008-03-25, 04:26 PM
The woman in the purple gown gives Akanan an uplifted eyebrow, Kiraestal nods lightly with his words, and Nemerisse is as still as a statue. No words are exchanged, but all the elves, save the female guard, one of the male guards, and Nemerisse, leave the room. "Daolinlye is a part of Tarn, and does adhere to its laws. We have no true jurisdiction over the dwarf. If you prefer not to escort her to Haversill, we will do it ourselves. Her disposition upon arrival is of no consequence to us at all."

She lifts a hand up and opens it to reveal a pile of silver chain. "These are tokens of our gratitude for your efforts. They have minor enchantments, but their main value is in identifying you as friends of Daolinlye. Several elven enclaves across this content will recognize them. The Oracle, of course, needs no such thing."

"Of course." The Oracle has just a hint of hostility in her words, and the two women look at each other for a few moments. Whatever it is that passes between them, Nemerisse is so incredibly difficult to read that only the Oracle's mild glare gives away that it isn't exactly friendly.

The lump of silver chain turns out to be six small, thin chains, each about the right size to be used as a bracelet with a small charm in the shape of a stylized oak leaf. They have a clasp on each end, and could easily be used for any number of purposes.

"Please give our regards to Lorrylith if you see him again."

Chain with charm: Swift action grants +1 competence bonus to any single skill check once per day. Must be touching your flesh to be usable.

dauphinous
2008-03-25, 06:17 PM
Summary: The dwarf dies, the heroes live, and the Oracle is returned to her home.

Please see the OOC thread.