PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Help

Planecaster
2015-07-19, 10:08 PM
Ok so I wanted to make a Factotum because I adore them.

Now I was curious I get two flaw feats and I know I should pick Font of Inspiration but I am curious if I should pick Brew Potion and Scribe Scroll to give him the more filled out jack of all trades theme during downtime because our game will have lots of downtime.

Bad Wolf
2015-07-19, 10:21 PM
You can't take either of those item creation feats, as they require caster levels, and factotum doesn't get spellcasting until 2nd level.

Planecaster
2015-07-19, 10:32 PM
Yeah I noticed that, I mean should I take them period. I am starting at level 5 so I should qualify for them since my flaws are added then.

Troacctid
2015-07-19, 11:00 PM
You can't take either of those item creation feats, as they require caster levels, and factotum doesn't get spellcasting until 2nd level.

You could still qualify for them based on your race (or your other feats). A gnome's racial spell-like abilities, for example, have a caster level of 1, which qualifies them for Scribe Scroll.

Ellowryn
2015-07-19, 11:07 PM
Eh, save your feats for Font of Inspiration and Able Learner and just go Chameleon at level 9. Then you can use your floating feat to make scrolls/potions/magic items in general then when you are expecting combat you can switch it to something you need. Human is the best entry, but if you want something more thematic see if you can use Changeling instead (They are a fricken hybrid of Humans and Doppelgangers, so why shouldn't they be able to take the feat/class!?!) with the Racial Emulation feat so you can not only emulate almost any class but also be any race as well!

Rubik
2015-07-19, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't take more than 3 instances of FoI. +6 inspiration points should be enough for the vast majority of encounters (and overkill for most). I'd go for feats such as Darkstalker, Shape Soulmeld, Knowledge Devotion, Planar Touchstone, and Martial Study, instead.

Bad Wolf
2015-07-19, 11:14 PM
There's a suggestion to allow Changelings into the class if you're using them.

Chronos
2015-07-20, 07:55 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I wouldn't recommend Font of Inspiration at all. Unless you're using way too many extra standard actions, the factotum's normal allotment should be enough, and there are a ton of other useful feats as a factotum.

Ellowryn
2015-07-20, 08:02 AM
There's a suggestion to allow Changelings into the class if you're using them.

Huh, never realized that but yeah in the adaptation section it says so. Score one for WotC!