PDA

View Full Version : Americans of the playground, what do you love about America?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2015-07-19, 11:40 PM
Hello all,

I think it's fair to say there is a large percentage of Americans on the board! I was hoping to get the advice of people who live in the US of A to share their thoughts on the "must see" or more off the beaten path places of America.

I was planning a trip to the north side of the pond (Decided against the title, Death comes to America during editing phase) and was hoping to get some hints from those in the know :smallsmile:

At the moment, focus is on the East coast due to family but would like to hear ideas of places to add to the bucket list!

Cheers in advance
~Your friend the Reaper :smallbiggrin:

Razade
2015-07-20, 12:03 AM
I've lived in the Midwest, East Coast, South West and what I guess you could call the Deep South. A lot of the stereotypes about The United States (Don't call us Americans because Canadians, everyone from South America and Central America are Americans too) are false but some of them I've found to be more or less a universal thing. We're friendly, outgoing and loud and that's great. I've never felt more welcome than when in the U.S even though I've traveled the world. I find The Midwestern States to be the most welcoming and down to earth but that's probably bias as I was born in the Midwest. Some of the must see places, since that's what you're asking, are The Grand Canyon, Washington D.C (Everyone in the U.S should visit it too. You owe it to yourself to visit the Capital of your country), The Rockies and Niagara Falls. A couple good cities are Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Little Rock and Boston. People will tell you to visit New York City but everyone goes there. Go to some places that aren't Tourist Heavy. The U.S is a big place and each State has it's own culture and places that are "Must See" really.

2015-07-20, 12:47 AM
I've lived in the Midwest, East Coast, South West and what I guess you could call the Deep South. A lot of the stereotypes about The United States (Don't call us Americans because Canadians, everyone from South America and Central America are Americans too) are false but some of them I've found to be more or less a universal thing. We're friendly, outgoing and loud and that's great. I've never felt more welcome than when in the U.S even though I've traveled the world. I find The Midwestern States to be the most welcoming and down to earth but that's probably bias as I was born in the Midwest. Some of the must see places, since that's what you're asking, are The Grand Canyon, Washington D.C (Everyone in the U.S should visit it too. You owe it to yourself to visit the Capital of your country), The Rockies and Niagara Falls. A couple good cities are Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Little Rock and Boston. People will tell you to visit New York City but everyone goes there. Go to some places that aren't Tourist Heavy. The U.S is a big place and each State has it's own culture and places that are "Must See" really.

Thanks Razade for the in depth reply!

There was a few ticks on your list, and glad to hear the midwestern bias. One portion of the trip (tried to keep specifics so people gave all ideas) was to come from Washinton DC and head in through Tennases and Arkansas and then down South to Housten.

Will have to check out the cities you have listed as well. Hoping to leave a day or so from when I've done the tourist sections to explore. Also thought checking with the online community would take away those travel agent bias ;)

Thanks once more!

Amidus Drexel
2015-07-20, 12:53 AM
(Decided against the title, Death comes to America during editing phase)

At the moment, focus is on the East coast due to family but would like to hear ideas of places to add to the bucket list!

Now, that would have probably gotten my attention faster. :smallamused:

I'm not sure how much I can comment on places in New England, as I've not been north of Maryland in quite some time, but I'll see what I can do for you south of the Mason-Dixon line. :smallamused:
Well, let's see... If you like museums (or large statues/memorials), DC has quite a bit of both, and most of them are free. Food's good there, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg. Old-town Alexandria is very nice as well. Baltimore and DC are full of things to do, though you're best off minimizing the amount of time you spend driving in that area, as DC-area traffic is some of the worst in the country.

Virginia is littered with old battlefields, which are generally pretty nice to walk around. Williamsburg and Jamestown are good places for more "historical" bits of this and that (though I believe Williamsburg also sports an amusement park), while Virginia Beach has some more touristy entertainment. If you like theatre, Staunton's got the 'American Shakespeare Center', which puts on an excellent show. We've also got a bunch of dammed-up rivers that we call lakes, some of which are large enough to use boats on. Bealeton hosts a rather entertaining airshow over the summer. Let's see... there's a college in every two or three cities, and sometimes they host events of various natures. VA's also got a bunch of caverns - Luray Caverns is probably the most impressive, but the other ones are cool too.

Interspersed between VA and WV are some national parks that are worth driving through (or hiking some trails, if that strikes your fancy) - I'd personally suggest the Shenandoah National Park, but they're all good. West Virginia has Seneca Rocks (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Rocks), which is really cool. There's also some coal mining museums, including one where you get a tour of the actual mine itself (though sadly I can't remember which town that's in). Charleston's got a WWII memorial... and that's about everything in WV. :smallamused:

North Carolina has the Outer Banks, though they've been getting a lot of shark attacks recently. :smallamused: Asheville's got the Biltmore Estate and a handful of other interesting things.

South Carolina has Myrtle Beach (and some other beaches). Patriot's Point museum in Charleston offers tours of a WWII-era aircraft carrier and a submarine (which I highly recommend, if you have the opportunity). You can buy fireworks in SC, if that's something you enjoy (a lot of the shops are right by the NC border, too). I believe you can also take a tour of Fort Sumter.

Savannah, Georgia is a very pretty city (with some excellent food). If I'm remembering correctly there's a rather impressive Cathedral somewhere downtown, along with a few other sight-seeing bits. Georgia's also got Stone Mountain park, if you like lightshows or standing on very large rocks (I do recommend). Atlanta has some things to do as well, though it's been a while since I've been there.

Florida has the Everglades (and a bunch of lakes), where you can see all kinds of dangerous wildlife (read: alligators) from an airboat. You can also eat alligator; it's delicious. Amusement parks are scattered across the state, but Orlando's probably got the highest concentration of them. There's a lot of fairly calm beaches around St. Petersburg, and John's Pass has some great seafood on the boardwalk. There's also Miami and the Florida Keys, and more beaches than you can count on both sides of the state.

--
While not quite "East Coast", I'd also like to recommend Nashville, Tennessee, and the entire state of Colorado as awesome and must-see.

Remmirath
2015-07-20, 12:55 AM
The only place on the east coast that I've been to is New York City, and indeed, I've not left Manhattan while I've been there. I haven't seen it at it's best, I'm sure -- I've always gone for a stage combat intensive which is held in the middle of summer -- but it is really probably my least favourite big city that I've been to. Hot as blazes (although one's mileage on that may vary), tends to be muggy, air hard to breathe, and so many people. That said, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is great, and I'm very fond of The Cloisters (technically a wing of the Met focusing on medieval art, but all by itself in upper Manhattan).

As far as places I'd say are great... well, I'm most well acquainted with my own state, so I suppose I'll throw in a mention for Pictured Rocks -- with the caveat that if you don't like boats, it may not be the best place, because the cliffs are by far the best seen from a boat. Most places on one of the Great Lakes are pretty nice; I personally find Lake Superior's coast to be the most interesting on average from what I've seen, but hey, they're all good. Sleeping Bear Dunes is an interesting area on Lake Michigan, which can also be very nice and relaxing, depending on where you're staying and what you're doing. Lots of good hiking around both there and in the Pictured Rocks area. If you like waterfalls, the UP in general has a fair amount of nice ones; Tahquamenon's probably the most outright impressive, but there are a lot of neat smaller ones in the Munising area. Mackinac Island's a fun and relaxing place to be, and does have some points of interest (old forts and other historical points, mostly, plus fudge and ease of walking/biking due to lack of automobiles). Of course, Michigan's pretty out of the way if you're mostly sticking to the east coast. Or, er, doing much of anything other than heading to Wisconsin or Canada...

Going further out, Chicago is nice as big cities go; I'm fairly fond of it. The lake front is generally the nicest part, and in my opinion, the Field Museum is one of the better natural history museums you'll find. The Art Institute is also quite interesting, and if you're going to be there longer, the Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetarium have some cool things to see as well, as does the Museum of Science and Industry. If you actually like crowds and/or shopping, Navy Pier is probably neat; I don't like either of those things, so the Ferris wheel is the main attraction for me. The Sears (er, Willis) Tower and the Hancock Center both have interesting observatory decks, too, if you're looking for a high view of the city.

Niagara Falls is certainly something I'd count as a "must see" sort of place, but I tend to think of it from the Canadian side, so it almost didn't occur to me -- it's quicker to get to that side from where I am, so that's where I've stayed when I've been. One can walk all around to both sides, of course, assuming one has the whole day, a passport, and doesn't mind walking. It's an amazing thing to see, and a nice area to stay, to boot.

I hear from my brother that the Adirondacks are nice, also in New York state; I've not been to them personally, though. Mountains tend to be good. Also from him, I hear that the Great Smoky Mountains (Tennessee/North Carolina) are quite impressive, and that's not too horribly far from the east coast. If you're headed through Tennessee anyhow, that might be a good place to stop, since it might be on the way (depending on your route).

Oh, if you like caves, Mammoth Cave in Kentucky and Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico are both very interesting, albeit in different ways. Of course, if you're starting on the east coast and don't feel like hopping on a bunch of planes, those (especially Carlsbad) are probably too far away. There are a lot of interesting places down in the southwest, canyons and rock formations and caves and such, but it's fairly difficult to get to more than one of them on any one trip. Things tend to be spaced rather far apart.

Yeah, that's all I can think of! I'm sure you'll see some neat things no matter where you end up going; the US is a huge place, so there's plenty of stuff scattered about to see. I certainly haven't seen anywhere near all of it, not even in my home state.

Neli42
2015-07-20, 01:27 AM
I'm also from the Midwest, though many would call it the North (MINNESOTA!!!!!!). I've also lived in the Intermountain West and the coastal South, and agree with Razade about the Midwest being welcoming. And I echo the use of "American" as a broader term, which I learned 25+years ago living in Argentina.

Chicago is a great city to visit with lots to see and do, and it's easy to get around. But don't bring a car. Parking rates are exorbitant. Better to take the train in and hoof it or take the el (elevated train). Get pizza at Pizano's. You won't be sorry.:smallsmile: At Navy Pier there is a free stained glass museum that my family found fascinating. There's a zoo, an aquarium, the museum of science and industry, and the most amazing institute of art. Plan a whole day for that alone if you can.

Indianapolis as another good walking city, and is very clean, and there are several; unusual museums. And of course, you can time your visit to hit GenCon (http://www.gencon.com/)!!

I was amazed at how much there is to do in St. Louis. There is, of courser, the famous Arch, and also the equally famous zoo. There are botanical gardens, and a butterfly house, several museums, and walking tours.

Here in my home state, Minnesota, you can visit Gooseberry Falls, hunt for Lake Superior agates at Agate Beach, and tour Split Rock Light House. At Lake Itasca, visit the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Come to Fort Snelling and see reenactments of frontier lifestyle. Catch free concerts or a play in one of many local parks in the Twin Cities area. There are many beautiful lakes in Minneapolis in particular, developed for recreational use. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts boasts free admission for the standing exhibits (lots to see!). There are many other unique places to see, such as the Swedish Institute, and the places on this (http://www.exploreminnesota.com/travel-ideas/hidden-gems-worth-finding/)list.

I could go on. But I'll shut up now. Have fun! And welcome!!

2015-07-20, 02:41 AM
Now, that would have probably gotten my attention faster. :smallamused:

Was just a bit worried it may have seemed like I was clickbaiting the views ;)
• Museums would be pretty high on the list, hadn’t thought of battlefields (not to many in Australia) but that would certainly be worth a look when around! I was planning to keep driving to a minimum if I could, due to those high density areas, and you crazy folk driving on the wrong side!
• The caverns peaked my interest, having studied geology, along with the theater places. Hopefully most don’t require pre booking, most likely something I would do on spur of the evening.  But just placing myself in the right place to be able to go see them is a good idea!
• Was thinking about the great smokey mountains, my partner wants to camp, never having done it, and doesn’t seem to find my idea of just kicking her out of a hotel as the true experience! I have now googled Shenandoah National Park as well, the proximity to DC, a place planning to visit is great though, as may be aiming to minimize travel, it’s a big country you have!
• South Carolina does sound good for fireworks and museums as well, not that it’d be worrying to admit it on this site, but I would enjoy to nerd out at the history side of things there!
• Stone Mountain park and the big rocks, you are a man after my own heart. As briefly mentioned I do love my rocks.
• Yeah, there is no getting by the amusement parks in florida and Orlando, I believe there is a big museum somewhere there too? May have to check travel guide book again.
• Love the idea of getting to see alligators, being Australian comes with the idea of seeing dangerous critters.
• May also make it to Nashville! The partner is into music, and wants to go to mephis, so may travel through Nashville on the way.
Thanks again for your advice! Cements in some plans as well as opening up other places!

The only place on the east coast that I've been to is New York City, and indeed, I've not left Manhattan while I've been there. I haven't seen it at it's best, I'm sure -- I've always gone for a stage combat intensive which is held in the middle of summer -- but it is really probably my least favourite big city that I've been to. Hot as blazes (although one's mileage on that may vary), tends to be muggy, air hard to breathe, and so many people. That said, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is great, and I'm very fond of The Cloisters (technically a wing of the Met focusing on medieval art, but all by itself in upper Manhattan).

Yeah, that's all I can think of! I'm sure you'll see some neat things no matter where you end up going; the US is a huge place, so there's plenty of stuff scattered about to see. I certainly haven't seen anywhere near all of it, not even in my home state.

Ah, pity to hear about you not favoring NYC, is one of the places with family, so was hoping to visit for cheap (read free) accommodation and tour guide there!
• I don’t mind boats, and do love geology, I am amazed I hadn’t heard of the painted rocks before
• Good to hear about the lakes, don’t worry, I keep all these threads in word documents. I have already given into the fact I may have to do a Canada/North north America, and West coast trip after naively thinking I could fit in all of America in one trip!
• Chicago does sound for the museum aquarium. I do love myself some museums. While crowds aren’t normally my thing, I imagine the pier would be good for people watching in a different land!
• Had heard of Niagara falls, it’s at the moment on that level of if I head further up north or save for another trip!
• Had put the smokey mountains on the maybe due to previously putting Yosemite park on before looking at a map ;) Have put in both Mammoth Cave and Carlsbad Caverns into the list too
Thanks so much Remmirath

Chicago is a great city to visit with lots to see and do, and it's easy to get around. But don't bring a car. Parking rates are exorbitant. Better to take the train in and hoof it or take the el (elevated train). Get pizza at Pizano's. You won't be sorry.:smallsmile: At Navy Pier there is a free stained glass museum that my family found fascinating. There's a zoo, an aquarium, the museum of science and industry, and the most amazing institute of art. Plan a whole day for that alone if you can.

Indianapolis as another good walking city, and is very clean, and there are several; unusual museums. And of course, you can time your visit to hit GenCon (http://www.gencon.com/)!!

I was amazed at how much there is to do in St. Louis. There is, of courser, the famous Arch, and also the equally famous zoo. There are botanical gardens, and a butterfly house, several museums, and walking tours.

I could go on. But I'll shut up now. Have fun! And welcome!![/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thanks for the welcoming Neli! I’ll be sure to be more careful in my broad strokes. Will have to visit the South Americas at some point too. Hoping to tick of the 7!
• Pizano's pizza! Added it in. Not to mention probably will need to be doing lots of walking If the pizza is good, but will try to avoid driving when possible. Will have to see if I can swing us going a bit more North after yours and Rem’s statements
• St louis does seem close to my draft for where we are planning to. I like the idea of all the zoos, walks and even butterfly palaces that are available!
• You should almost work in the Minnesota tourist beuro! I will admit there is a lot of good stories about the mid North. I am tempted to bleed into the Canada/North holiday already.
Thanks a bunch once more, I will save the specific locations into my travel documents!

Zrak
2015-07-20, 03:37 AM
The East Coast is a pretty big and pretty diverse area, both geographically and culturally. Florida has more in common with Georgia than it does Massachusetts, for instance. The Northeast gets kind of a bad reputation for its often-dreary weather and its supposedly brusque citizenry. Personally, after growing up in Colorado and living for seven years in New England, I've never really gotten the impression that New Englanders were rude or unfriendly, just that they were comparatively reserved. If anything, behind the superficial layer of street-greeting friendliness, I found Bostonians friendlier. If you can stand humidity, the weather's fine, although I've never really been the type who thinks of rain as dreary. Winters can be harsh up there, especially in terms of the sheer amount of wet, heavy snow. If you're looking for natural sightseeing, fall is probably the best time to hit the Northeast, although it's also the most crowded, since the spectacular "fall colors" of the changing leaves tend to coincide with family visits to the omnipresent universities. Boston is probably the most "major" city, and has a lot of cool historic landmarks and some great museums. Providence (Rhode Island) is its scrappier, hipper little brother, and about 45 minutes away by public transport. Portland (Maine) is like the weird kind of pretentious cousin who dropped out of college and is convinced he's a great poet.

New York city is the worst, but upstate New York and New Jersey are pretty cool. Upstate New York has some crazy swarms of fireflies, if you make it there in the right season. (Also, New York probably isn't really, literally the worst, but I'm obliged as a former Bostonian to say that it is.)

I think of Florida as a pretty awesome swamp with some stupid beaches in the way, but I think other people think of it the opposite way.

Tennessee is a great place to go through. The Smoky Mountains are beautiful pretty much year round, Graceland is there, and Gatlinberg is a fantastically gimmicky little tourist town. It has the world's largest hall of mirrors, which I found out turns into a legitimate, unsettling encounter with the sublime if they're playing '80s synthpop while you go through it.

Somebody else mentioned Asheville, North Carolina, which also has the distinctions of being called "The Boulder of the East" after Black Mountain college turned it into kind of a hippie center for a while. It's also a frequent winner and constant contender for being "Beer City USA," or something like that, thanks to a really active local brewing scene. All in all, I've heard it's a pretty cool place. On a similar note, Austin is kind of the same sort of hippie-ish enclave in Texas, and has a great live music scene. In particular, there's a lot of interesting, off-beat country and folk stuff, but it's enough of a music town that you can probably find most anything.

Further West, Colorado (where I grew up) is beautiful in different ways year round, though winter can be rough if you're not used to the cold. In the Eastern half of the state, there's the sort of "desolate beauty" of the plains, while the Western portion has more conventionally stunning mountains and rock formations, along with a different sort of desolate beauty as things get more arid out towards Utah. Going West down Interstate 70 is probably the most scenic drive in America, especially if you can get lucky and hit a little fog. A lot of people come in the early fall to watch the Aspen leaves change color. Once you get, like, five minutes out of the main cities, you really can't drive more than a few miles without an exit to some hiking trail or scenic overlook or something. Denver is a fairly standard big city, with a little more of the old-West influence than a lot of them. Boulder, on the other hand, is a crazy town full of hippies and train-hopping crust punk kids. Also, if you like beer, pretty much everywhere in Colorado has a lot of great breweries. If you're into whiskey, local distilleries are starting to be a big thing, but only like half are really any good.

North and East of Colorado, you can stop at my tribe's reservation in White Cloud, Kansas. I think we have a casino, now, and this one church in our town was mentioned in a Don DeLillo novel. Wyoming is sort of like a test you have to pass to get to Yellowstone. I'm honestly kind of fond of farms and fields, so I don't mind it, but most people think it's really boring. In any case, Yellowstone is really cool and worth the drive even if you aren't the type who appreciates the kind of empty beauty of farmland.

South of Colorado, you have New Mexico and Arizona. Both are pretty, if you appreciate desert scenery. New Mexico has more of an art scene, especially Santa Fe and Taos. It also has Roswell, which is a super rad town that really makes the most of the supposed UFO crash there. Roswell is also pretty close to Carlsbad Caverns, which, as Remmirath said, is pretty cool if you like caves. Arizona isn't as fun, overall, but somehow got the Grand Canyon, which honestly really is cool.

• Yeah, there is no getting by the amusement parks in florida and Orlando, I believe there is a big museum somewhere there too? May have to check travel guide book again.

I don't know about a big museum overall, but somewhere outside of Orlando is a museum with the largest collection of Dalí art in the world. It's pretty cool.

A lot of the stereotypes about The United States (Don't call us Americans because Canadians, everyone from South America and Central America are Americans too)

Mexico is officially called The United Mexican States. The only acceptable shorthand is, clearly, "of." Citizins of of are properly called ofians.

2015-07-20, 04:18 AM
If you can stand humidity, the weather's fine, although I've never really been the type who thinks of rain as dreary. Winters can be harsh up there, especially in terms of the sheer amount of wet, heavy snow. If you're looking for natural sightseeing, fall is probably the best time to hit the Northeast, although it's also the most crowded, since the spectacular "fall colors" of the changing leaves tend to coincide with family visits to the omnipresent universities. Boston is probably the most "major" city, and has a lot of cool historic landmarks and some great museums. Providence (Rhode Island) is its scrappier, hipper little brother, and about 45 minutes away by public transport. Portland (Maine) is like the weird kind of pretentious cousin who dropped out of college and is convinced he's a great poet.

I love your description of Providence & Portland. We got a few of those pretentious hipster cousins as well in Australia

• I am not too fussed with most weathers, been to the humid/freezing climates, just got to pack well.
• Will be sure to check out the fireflies, thinking around October for the trip. Later you mention may be crowded in Autumn, but if that is the great time to go, would be worth a visit.
• Good to see Shrek would like florida with all it’s swamps!
• Gatlinberg being on the Smokey Mountains mean it wouldn’t take too long to be unsettled as well, those type of fun tourist gimmicks are good now and then!
• My google map foo is increasing with all these names. DC Washinton, Virgina into Ashfield to mountains seem like a fairly easy to follow route. Heard there are greyhounds for transport, though may need to look up renting a car for out of the way places
• Colorado sounds wonderful! It is a bit more Western, but those breweries sound good, and Texas is the end point, so could loop back a bit to see the Aspens as we will be going in Autumn.
• While I am not really much for gambling, I can always set up the “not in Kansas anymore” line, and it is always cool when you have physically been in a place reference in literature/movies!
• Looks like Arizona lucked out then by getting the grand canyon! I had planned for the grand canyon and sneaking more west prior, but was worried about the great distances and timelines. Would be great to see the Caverns (and UFOs)
Thanks for your detailed response!

Telonius
2015-07-20, 03:01 PM
If you're interested in unusual geological formations and off-the-beaten-path places, Panama Rocks (http://www.panamarocks.com/) (in Panama, New York - upstate New York) is a great place to visit. Not very tourist-y; I've visited several times when I was living in Northwest Pennsylvania and went back once a couple of years ago. It's not all that far from Niagara Falls, if you're headed up that way. It's definitely worth a side trip.

Dienekes
2015-07-20, 04:04 PM
Having lived here, basically my whole life, I have never heard anyone object to being called "American" before, in reference to living in the States. Is it inaccurate, yeah, probably, but that's still what we call ourselves.

Outside of legal documents, I have never heard anyone refer to themselves as "Citizens of the United States" just "Americans"

Closet_Skeleton
2015-07-20, 04:32 PM
"citizen of the united states" isn't any more specific than "American" due to the United Mexican States existing. Some guys gave a country a stupid name due to not really caring and now they're stuck with it.

Around 1950 it was even more non-unique but that got fixed by 1967.

I'd like to visit the USA again but it seems too big for any trip to do it justice outside of unobtainable to me ideas about trying to busk and hitch hike through it.

Peelee
2015-07-20, 05:56 PM
Don't call us Americans because Canadians, everyone from South America and Central America are Americans too

And yet we're the only ones with "America" in our name. Globally, "American" means "denizen of the United States." I don't think the vast majority of any of the other populations on the American continents really mind all that much, either (I could be wrong, but really, that's a bit of a silly thing to get up in arms about).

Anyway, to answer the question, I really love just how insanely gung-ho stereotypical Americans are. Things like, "on a scale of 1 to America, how free are you tonight," or throwing eagles freaking everywhere, or literally not being able to spend at least one hour without seeing an American flag somewhere. The ridiculously over-the-top sense of national pride is kind of an awesome thing. We're the new kids on the block, internationally speaking, and we'll be damned if we're not the rootinest, tootinest, bestest damned country out there!

It's fun, is what I'm saying.

Though I could do without the Deep South stereotypes, myself.

EDIT: Wait, no. Forget all that. When you go to a restaurant, you get free refills on coke. Done. End of story. Best country in the world, no contest. Nothing else anyone can say will compare to this. You know what's on the East Coast? The World of Coke, in Atlanta. It's like Disneyland, but better. You should go. I'll come with. We can make a day of it.

Razade
2015-07-21, 02:42 AM
• Looks like Arizona lucked out then by getting the grand canyon! I had planned for the grand canyon and sneaking more west prior, but was worried about the great distances and timelines. Would be great to see the Caverns (and UFOs)
Thanks for your detailed response!

I currently live in AZ and there is a lot more to do here than just The Grand Canyon. Phoenix is an awesome city and the Northern part of the State has a great deal of Nature Preserves that aren't Desert.

And yet we're the only ones with "America" in our name. Globally, "American" means "denizen of the United States." I don't think the vast majority of any of the other populations on the American continents really mind all that much, either (I could be wrong, but really, that's a bit of a silly thing to get up in arms about).

I can tell you not just from personal experience but knowing a lot of other people abroad. People that aren't from the U.S aren't fond of us taking the term "American".

Zrak
2015-07-21, 03:10 AM
Okay, well, the poetic term for the USA was "Columbia," so we can be Columbians. No problems there, right?

Archonic Energy
2015-07-21, 06:35 AM
as a "tourist"
New York was good.
DC was good
Baltimore was good
Johnson City was good
Myrtle Beach was good
Phili was good
the americans are good.

was that helpful
*misses with Cricket Bat* :smallsigh:

2015-07-21, 07:18 AM
If you're interested in unusual geological formations and off-the-beaten-path places, Panama Rocks (http://www.panamarocks.com/) (in Panama, New York - upstate New York) is a great place to visit. Not very tourist-y; I've visited several times when I was living in Northwest Pennsylvania and went back once a couple of years ago. It's not all that far from Niagara Falls, if you're headed up that way. It's definitely worth a side trip.
Thanks Telonius! I will admit to enjoying rock formations (not at the level of rock-lickers, but close!)

Anyway, to answer the question, I really love just how insanely gung-ho stereotypical Americans are. Things like, "on a scale of 1 to America, how free are you tonight," or throwing eagles freaking everywhere, or literally not being able to spend at least one hour without seeing an American flag somewhere. The ridiculously over-the-top sense of national pride is kind of an awesome thing. We're the new kids on the block, internationally speaking, and we'll be damned if we're not the rootinest, tootinest, bestest damned country out there!

It's fun, is what I'm saying.

Though I could do without the Deep South stereotypes, myself.

EDIT: Wait, no. Forget all that. When you go to a restaurant, you get free refills on coke. Done. End of story. Best country in the world, no contest. Nothing else anyone can say will compare to this. You know what's on the East Coast? The World of Coke, in Atlanta. It's like Disneyland, but better. You should go. I'll come with. We can make a day of it.

From this i take it my traditional tourist attire should go down well

http://www.sinoant.com/goods_img/original/2014/0403/13965076838772.jpg

And wow, those coke addicts have nothing on you!
As long as you get free coke trials on those weird flavours that come and go too quick,

I currently live in AZ and there is a lot more to do here than just The Grand Canyon. Phoenix is an awesome city and the Northern part of the State has a great deal of Nature Preserves that aren't Desert.

Didn't mean to marginalize the whole of AZ, was just the GC was on the bucket list!

as a "tourist"
New York was good.
DC was good
Baltimore was good
Johnson City was good
Myrtle Beach was good
Phili was good
the americans are good.

was that helpful
*misses with Cricket Bat* :smallsigh:

I would say that was 406 runs good reasons AE :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2015-07-21, 09:05 AM
I can tell you not just from personal experience but knowing a lot of other people abroad. People that aren't from the U.S aren't fond of us taking the term "American".
And i can reply in kind that not just from personal experience but knowing a lot of other people abroad, people don't really seem to care. We clearly know different people.

From this i take it my traditional tourist attire should go down well

http://www.sinoant.com/goods_img/original/2014/0403/13965076838772.jpg

And wow, those coke addicts have nothing on you!
As long as you get free coke trials on those weird flavours that come and go too quick

Indeed, I applaud your wardrobe. And coke is tasty. The weird flavors I'll try at the World of Coke, but that's about it. Coke, Cherry Coke, and the Sprite and Dr. Pepper.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-21, 09:29 AM
What I love about my home is the variety.

I grew up in the southern part of the Willamette Valley. If I drove an hour to the west, I'd be on the coast; temperate rain forest, tide pool, weather a balmy 70-80F. An hour east, and I'm at 7K ft of elevation, in ski country, exploring lava beds and dormant volcanoes in the summer (NTM Crater Lake). To the south was Oregon Caves, a massive cave network. Far east was desert; sparse landscape of sagebrush.

I would go so far as to say that the variety of climates, cultures, and peoples across my country rivals Europe as a continent. I've also lived in Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Hawaii and California for extended periods, and have traveled through or visited at least a dozen others. Even within the same state, there's huge social and language differences between cities and regions. A Texan from Dallas doesn't sound or think the same as one from El Paso or one from San Antonio. Don't you dare confuse a Humboldt County Californian with one from San Francisco.

Best areas to visit all depend on your interests. To me, one major metropolitan center is the same as another; there may be regional differences, but these are usually washed away by the cities' desires to import culture. Take the food scenes of New York, LA, and Vegas. They all try to boas of the best Italian, Spanish, French, etc foods. Small towns is where your find foods that are culturally endemic; pasties from the northern Midwest region; grits and gravy from the South; PNW line-caught salmon.

Each state has it's own history and culture as well. Western frontier attitudes and ruggedness; the clannish but welcoming natures of small towns in the Midwest and south (where a family that's lived in the town for 2 generations is still known as "the new folks", but treated as extended family). Northern folks and their taciturn nature. These are stereotypes for a reason.

Peelee
2015-07-21, 10:00 AM
grits and gravy from the South

Do not have grits if you come to the south; it is a vile and cruel trick perpetuated on the people for little reason other than to enjoy the suffering of others. Do not fall into this trap.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-21, 03:22 PM
If you don't like grits, someone must've cooked 'em wrong. I love grits. With a little sawmill or redeye on top, and an egg; heck, I like grits with nothing but butter and some black pepper. And always make more than you need; one of my favorites growing up (I was raised in OR, but my family mostly hailed from Missouri) was leftover grits. They solidify some in the fridge; slice it thin and fry the slices in butter for a play on Johnny cakes. Delish.

Now, collard greens; whoever came up with that trash should be drug out into the street and shot for crimes against humanity. The same for marshmallows on sweet potatoes.

Peelee
2015-07-21, 03:27 PM
It's not the flavor, it's the consistency. Grits feel like vomit in my mouth, which you can imagine is a terrible experience. Same for cooked spinach. Raw abalone was similar, but felt like a huge wad of phlegm, which was honestly worse (though cooked abalone was amazingly delicious).

http://imgfave-herokuapp-com.global.ssl.fastly.net/image_cache/1390538256683296.jpg

Scarlet Knight
2015-07-21, 06:48 PM
Hmm, what would an Australian geologist like to see?

1) the Grand Canyon
2) the Badlands / Black Hills
3) Mount St Helen's ( I assume Hawaii is too much)
4) Finish with Yosemite for Old Faithful with the bonus of seeing some animals big enough to give a "salty" indigestion!

Or youse can visit just New York, but I warns ya... you probably won't wanna' leave.

Zrak
2015-07-21, 10:33 PM
Now, collard greens; whoever came up with that trash should be drug out into the street and shot for crimes against humanity. The same for marshmallows on sweet potatoes.

Whaaaaaaaat? Collard greens are the best. Just like grits, they can be made poorly, but if they're cooked right, they're delicious.

Marshmallows on sweet potatoes really are terrible, though.

It's not the flavor, it's the consistency. Grits feel like vomit in my mouth, which you can imagine is a terrible experience.

So it's more the sort of polenta-grits-&c. family of textures with which you take issue? If so, you can enjoy the high-flying world of delicious exotic grits recipes (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/fallen-grits-souffles-with-tomatoes-and-goat-cheese-233688).

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-21, 11:30 PM

1) the Grand Canyon
4) Finish with Yosemite for Old Faithful with the bonus of seeing some animals big enough to give a "salty" indigestion!

Or youse can visit just New York, but I warns ya... you probably won't wanna' leave.

Another bump for Crater Lake. (http://www.nps.gov/crla/index.htm) Volcano caldera turn lake, with a new cone growing in the lake.

If one can manage a trip to Big Island, it really is worth it. Just plain gorgeous.

SowZ
2015-07-22, 02:09 AM
Sounds like you won't see Colorado. And of course natural wonders are more interesting. (The Fairy Caves adventure tour is pretty neat.) But if you come out west and pass through Denver, Casa Bonita is a fun place to have dinner. If I'm on that night I could even give you a tour of Black Bart's Cave as the notorious outlaw himself.

Zrak
2015-07-22, 02:58 AM
Hey! Hey. Casa Bonita is in Lakewood, bub. Don't you take this away from us. Ever since the Chinese restaurant with fiber-optic Christmas trees hanging from the ceiling closed down, it's all we have.

For the uninitiated, Casa Bonita is, factually speaking, the best restaurant in America and also the world.

2015-07-22, 04:12 AM
Thank you everyone for all the responses!

Have a lot of geological sites and food now for my list! :smallsmile:

SowZ
2015-07-22, 10:36 AM
Hey! Hey. Casa Bonita is in Lakewood, bub. Don't you take this away from us. Ever since the Chinese restaurant with fiber-optic Christmas trees hanging from the ceiling closed down, it's all we have.

For the uninitiated, Casa Bonita is, factually speaking, the best restaurant in America and also the world.

Fair enough. If you decide to swing by I'll make it up to you by snagging you some free Sopapillas.

Zrak
2015-07-22, 02:19 PM
Sopapillas from Black Bart himself! This is the greatest day of my internet life.

Hbgplayer
2015-08-09, 12:24 PM

1) the Grand Canyon

You have your "Y" national parks mixed up. Old Faithful is in Yellowstone National Park, which is in Wyoming (with bits of Montana and Idaho mixed in), while Yosemite is famous for Half dome, is in California, and at best a 2 day 12-13 hour drive from Yellowstone.

smcmike
2015-08-09, 04:31 PM
First, check out NYC, particularly if you have a connection there. In the US, at least, it blows every other city out of the water in terms of whatever it means to be a city (citiness?). If citiness doesn't appeal to you, you can skip it, but otherwise it's a must-see if you are doing an east coast trip.

Beyond that it really depends on what you are interested in and what season you'll be here. Appalachia has nice (though small) mountains. The great smokeys are neat in the south, and if you like beer and small hippie cities, Asheville NC is worth checking out. There are also a lot of great beaches in the Carolinas.

DC is well worth seeing, but if you come in the summer prepare to be very hot and tired after a day of walking the Mall.

If natural wonder is what you are after, the east really is the wrong coast for you.

Scarlet Knight
2015-08-09, 08:51 PM
You have your "Y" national parks mixed up. Old Faithful is in Yellowstone National Park, which is in Wyoming (with bits of Montana and Idaho mixed in), while Yosemite is famous for Half dome, is in California, and at best a 2 day 12-13 hour drive from Yellowstone.

Ooops. :smallredface:

Coidzor
2015-08-09, 10:41 PM
Cumberland Falls in Kentucky is sorta East Coastish, but not really, and the Moonbow there is... fairly unique? IIRC there's only a dozen or so places with known, confirmed, regular moonbows in the world.

In West Virginia there's the NRAO National Radio Astronomy Observatory which is potentially interesting and located relatively conveniently to some skiing and snowboarding and hiking and camping and white water rafting and so on and so forth.

celephais
2015-08-09, 11:23 PM
oversized portions, for everything.

Havelocke
2015-08-11, 01:35 PM
Having served in the US Army, I have been to a lot of different parts of this country. Right now I am in Kansas City Missouri/Kansas (live on one side, work on the other). It is a pretty city, I like it more than NYC or Boston. Lots of fountains, history, great food (BBQ is amazing), and jazz music. I grew up in New England though (Maine, New Hampshire) and there is a lot to be said for it, but it does pale in comparison to what I call "home", that would be Alaska. Alaska is absolutely beautiful and there are not too many places that can be called "untouched" by man than the wilderness up there. Glaciers, snow capped mountains year round, moderate temperatures in the summer (which is only two months long), and some great geology to study. There is indeed still gold up in those hills and there are even people panning in the streams to this day. I would add Alaska to your list if it is within your budget.

The Fury
2015-08-12, 09:35 PM
Admittedly I'm not much help as you're planning on mainly going to the East Coast. I've never lived anywhere west of the Mississippi, and more specifically I've lived in Oregon for most of my life. I have no idea if you ever plan on going that far west though. That said, since you mentioned that you like geology Oregon has some interesting stuff. Maybe it'd be worth the trip? The Colombia River Gorge has some cool basalt formations and Multnomah Falls is really pretty. As mentioned previously, Portland has a lot of fun stuff too. Powell's Books and Voodoo Doughnut are our most popular tourist destinations, though our parks and rose gardens are also very nice.

Though if you want to experience something quintessentially American, I'd suggest peanut butter cookies. Sometimes you don't really notice odd things about your own culture because you experience them every day. Then someone from a foreign culture points it out and explains why it's weird and you have to concede the point-- it is kind of weird. In this case the weird thing is that generally Americans love peanut butter, and we eat a lot of it. To the point that it's a common flavor for various treats you can pick up. Also, the first food that American kids learn to make for themselves is usually a peanut butter and jam sandwich. So I guess it's no surprise that peanut butter cookies are such a beloved treat here. Most of us remember having our mothers make them for us and are still delighted by that cute criss-cross pattern on the top.

Archonic Energy
2015-08-13, 04:43 AM
Though if you want to experience something quintessentially American, I'd suggest peanut butter cookies. Sometimes you don't really notice odd things about your own culture because you experience them every day. Then someone from a foreign culture points it out and explains why it's weird and you have to concede the point-- it is kind of weird. In this case the weird thing is that generally Americans love peanut butter, and we eat a lot of it. To the point that it's a common flavor for various treats you can pick up. Also, the first food that American kids learn to make for themselves is usually a peanut butter and jam sandwich. So I guess it's no surprise that peanut butter cookies are such a beloved treat here. Most of us remember having our mothers make them for us and are still delighted by that cute criss-cross pattern on the top.
:smallconfused:
are you sure you are American?
you used Jam not Jelly, is that a regional thing?
/:smallconfused:

Cristo Meyers
2015-08-13, 09:36 AM

It's kinda like the Soda/Pop/Soda Pop divide. Can vary by region.

The Fury
2015-08-13, 09:38 AM

I use the word "jam" for two reasons-- Outside of the US "jelly" generally refers to gelatin, so "jam" might be a little more clear. Secondly, I always made them with strawberry jam. I am aware that Concord Grape jelly is probably the more traditional PB&J ingredient, but it's not what I prefer.

Rodin
2015-08-13, 09:43 AM
I'm never sure how people will react to the savory + sweet thing that America has going on. My English parents seem divided - my mother can't stand the idea of having pancakes and bacon and eggs at the same time - she has to eat all of the savory breakfast stuff, then move onto the pancakes for dessert. A lot of my other English relatives have been the same. My dad, on the other hand, will happily munch both at the same time.

They both are mystified by PBJs. Growing up here, I've always loved a good PBJ, although these days I've moved onto the "artisanal" version - fancy bread, unsweetened peanut butter, and good quality grape jelly.

Speaking for Louisiana, the places to see are New Orleans (not at Mardi Gras unless wild partying is your thing) and doing a bayou tour down in Cajun country.

For Texas, Big Bend National Park is pretty special although its WAY out in the middle of nowhere. Think Wile E. Coyote country. And yes, you will see roadrunners. San Antonio is also pretty neat. I don't have a lot to recommend about Houston - it's a nice enough place, but I don't think there's much special that you couldn't get elsewhere.

danzibr
2015-08-13, 05:51 PM
For those who have never been to America, gotta see our mega shopping centers.

Coidzor
2015-08-14, 03:33 AM
It's kinda like the Soda/Pop/Soda Pop divide. Can vary by region.

Jam exists in the U.S. and contains the pulp of the fruit. In the case of Blackberry Jam in particular it also contains the seeds of the fruit. I believe fig jam and blueberry jam also contain the seeds. Whenever I make habanero jam, while I could leave the seeds in, since I value my tongue, I make sure to remove all of them.

Jelly exists in the U.S. and is mostly just the juice of the fruit and pectin from what I recall.

Preserves include mostly intact or very large chunks of the fruit which are suspended in what is basically jelly, but there are also some other variants which slip my mind at the moment.

Then there's generic spreads and who knows what goes into those.

Jonzac
2015-08-18, 03:42 PM
Since you are on the East Coast near DC. You should take the 3 hour trip to Gettysburg. They have made the area match the landscape (farms, fields and trees) to closely match the terrain at the time. Additionally, the numerous state and unit statues REALLY show the combat lines and various attacks. If you like battlefields, its a MUST SEE.

Additionally, there is a battleship parked in Philly that looked interesting, as well as, the original Congress meeting place and the Liberty Bell.

Deified Data
2015-08-31, 09:25 PM
The best beer is the world, bar none.

Pluto!
2015-09-01, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind that the US is a big ****ing country. Many a foreign vacation has been ruined by plans to fly into Florida, catch a train to DC, drive to NYC and catch a ride down to the Grand Canyon within a week.

What part of the country are you headed and what timeframe are you working with?

The one rule of thumb I stand by is that the closer you get to a coast, the better the food gets.
(With the corollary to never get Chinese east of California.)

ThinkMinty
2015-09-01, 08:52 PM
Well, I'm in Providence, and I can't say this about the whole country per se, but a lot of my city is really goddamn gorgeous, aesthetically.

That, and I also dig a nice grilled cheese, which seem to be harder to get abroad, but I haven't been out of the country in about a decade, so this could've changed.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-09-01, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind that the US is a big ****ing country. Many a foreign vacation has been ruined by plans to fly into Florida, catch a train to DC, drive to NYC and catch a ride down to the Grand Canyon within a week.

What part of the country are you headed and what timeframe are you working with?

The one rule of thumb I stand by is that the closer you get to a coast, the better the food gets.
(With the corollary to never get Chinese east of California.)

That's up for debate. There's plenty of good Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, and Laotian grub in Texas; many people from those countries settled in Texas after the Vietnam conflict. There's also a strong German presence here. And there's strong communities of other ethnicities and ethnic foods in other parts of the country. However, one shouldn't come to America to eat Chinese, German, et all; one comes to America to eat American grub. Pasties from the northern Midwest, BBQ (Texan Brisket is king; the other varieties are too sauce-heavy); Southern cornbread, shrimp & grits, red beans and rice from New Orleans. All are "ono grinds". Every region has a cultural identity, influence by their unique blend of immigrants and local resources.

That being said, PNW line-caught wild salmon (I prefer coho; stronger flavor as vs Chinook) is where my gastronomic heart lies, though I have a soft spot for Hawaiian. I also love Italian, after spending every chance I could visiting while stationed in Germany. I blend them all together when I cook.

Ashen Lilies
2015-09-02, 02:05 PM
Define 'American'. Especially when you're speaking of older immigrant communities such as Japanese or Chinese, or sufficiently large, metropolitan communities like Koreans in LA, the cuisine has been corrupted significantly enough that the best examples of Japanese/Chinese food found in the United States cannot be found outside of it, especially not in Japan or China, since it's just too different. Many of the best celebrity sushi chefs in Japan, even, have had restaurants in NYC or California before moving back home, and they took the best examples of American-designed rolls with them.

I'll agree that American craft beers are quite good, at the very least. Anything commercial, especially if it comes with the word 'light' (or worse, 'lite') in the name is trash and deserves the rather thorough mocking it receives from countries outside the US. I'd say the US has a fairly robust culture for homebrew, craft, and small-batch production. Basically any local bar in most towns will have a decent selection of local and seasonal brews, mostly of beer, but occasionally of cider (especially in the northeast) and rarely mead. Moonshine is also becoming quite popular as well, and it shouldn't be hard to acquire, if you're into that, and of course we invented bourbon and rye whiskey, so I needn't mention that we have plenty of examples of that which can be found locally, especially further south (the north tends to prefer importing scotch or irish).

If wine's more your taste, the US has a very robust vintner community as well. Varietal based naming is ubiquitous in America, compared to appellation naming which (from what I understand) is still the tradition in Europe, so it's quite easy to find something you'll like. Look for Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfadel, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay from California; Merlot and Pinot Grigio from Washington; and Rieslings from Washington or New York. It's hard to go wrong with California wines in general, I just think that in particular some varietals do slightly better outside it.

Havelocke
2015-09-03, 11:04 AM
I agree with Kris here, the United States is very diverse. That is one of the best reason why I enjoy living here. The diversity of cuisine, beverages, crafts, and art are endless. That sort of creativity and imagination is found elsewhere in the world, but it mingles here in the USA. For some people, they want something specific, so they go to specific countries to experience that, not knowing they may be able to find it close to their own doorstep. I have been from one coast to the other, North to South, and I still have not experienced all that this place has to offer, enjoy!

Tvtyrant
2015-09-03, 04:00 PM
In my state of Oregon we have the painted hills, crater lake, and multnomah falls. The red woods just south of here are pretty cool, and seattle to the north is pretty if you like cities. Avoid Portland, it is one giant tourist trap. Almost the whole city has been remade in my lifetime to attract hip urbanites, and is pretty bland now.

Edit: Also, on the Americans vs. whatever else people want it to be. I consider it pretty rude to attempt to designate how someone defines themselves. Most people would agree calling Romani "Gypsies" is rude, and telling them they have to call themselves that much more so.

Grinner
2015-09-03, 05:35 PM
We have the Golden Corral. You have not truly experienced America until you've been to the Golden Corral.

Telonius
2015-09-03, 08:05 PM
If wine's more your taste, the US has a very robust vintner community as well. Varietal based naming is ubiquitous in America, compared to appellation naming which (from what I understand) is still the tradition in Europe, so it's quite easy to find something you'll like. Look for Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfadel, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc, and Chardonnay from California; Merlot and Pinot Grigio from Washington; and Rieslings from Washington or New York. It's hard to go wrong with California wines in general, I just think that in particular some varietals do slightly better outside it.

Gotta plug my current state: Virginia does some very, very nice Viogniers. Norton is another one that's native to the area. (Your mouth will probably be purple, but it's so, so worth it).

Seerow
2015-09-03, 09:00 PM
I live in Central Florida, so I really can't post without reitterating the theme parks. I've been to parks all over the country (outside of Florida I would recommend King's Island and Kennywood), but Disney stands out head and shoulders over others not due to the rides but for atmosphere. It's a great place to just walk around, especially if you manage to come during off-season when the parks aren't filled to capacity. Sure you'll want to get on some rides, but it's worth the price of admittance just to actually be there, especially if you have any children.

That said, if you're into thrill rides, other parks are more likely to scratch that itch (Busch Gardens over in Tampa or Universal in Orlando will both be better suited for thrill seekers). Also lots of Water Parks around, both Disney Water Parks (Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon) are fantastic, and there's probably another half dozen around you can find with a quick google (though a couple of big names like Wet and Wild have closed down recently).

Oh one last thing on the subject of parks: Sea World's Discovery Cove is a neat little resort type place where you can go swim with dolphins and such, and not quite as well known as Sea World itself or the other major parks in the area. I've never gone personally, but I have family who have and they insist it's a great experience.

....all right sorry about that. I live right in the middle of tourist trap central, so a topic like this I gotta talk about it.

I don't know about a big museum overall, but somewhere outside of Orlando is a museum with the largest collection of Dalí art in the world. It's pretty cool.

I went to that museum on a field trip in high school. I think it's in the Tampa Area. Pretty cool stuff there.

Also if you're interested in Architecture, over in Lakeland there's a college campus (Florida Southern College) designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, which I'm told is a big deal (I know nothing about Architecture, so dunno)

There's also MOSI, the Museum of Science and Industry in Orlando. Lots of interesting science type stuff there, but I remember it being more targetted at kids... or maybe I just remember it that way due to going there several times as a child and loving it then. It's been long enough I can't really be sure.

As far as beaches go, my favorite is Clearwater. Also the St John's River is pretty massive and there's a number of River Cruises that last like 3-6 hours and serve lunch and have some form of entertainment, that are generally great for blowing a day if you have the time. Last time I went out on one we got to see lots of Gators and even a few Manatees.

The gators remind me that Gator Land is a thing. It's more of a zoo than a theme park, but there's a few shows and if you want to go see the local wildlife (especially gators, but other stuff too), that's what 100% of their focus is on.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now. I will mention if you are interested in more the natural aspects of any area, check into State/National Parks. I don't have much to say about the ones local to me since I rarely go, but if that's your thing definitely check into it no matter where you visit.

SaintRidley
2015-09-04, 12:12 AM
I love the fact that even if you know nothing of how a university works, even if you are roundly considered to be utterly unsuitable for the job by more than 97% of faculty at the university, students, and community members, even if you lie on your resume and list a job working for a company that doesn't exist, and even if you think it's appropriate to list your love of hiking and travel as qualifications on your resume - if you have an MBA from Harvard and a history of working for mid-level companies in executive positions you too can become the president of an R1 university.

Just love it.

BannedInSchool
2015-09-04, 09:51 AM
I'm never sure how people will react to the savory + sweet thing that America has going on. My English parents seem divided - my mother can't stand the idea of having pancakes and bacon and eggs at the same time - she has to eat all of the savory breakfast stuff, then move onto the pancakes for dessert. A lot of my other English relatives have been the same. My dad, on the other hand, will happily munch both at the same time.
You must present them with chocolate-covered bacon, FOR SCIENCE! :smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-04, 10:01 AM
Come to scenic Wisconsin, land of 10 trillion mosquitoes and 2-week summers! :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2015-09-04, 10:48 AM
The best beer is the world, bar none.

Wait, we're really going to let this slide?

Chromascope3D
2015-09-04, 11:18 AM
If you like rocks, Chattanooga's Lookout mountain has a twofer for ya. On top of being a Civil War battle site, it also has Rock City (a neat little rock park) and Ruby Falls (a pretty dang big subterranean waterfall). Also they've got a pretty cool aquarium.

Meanwhile, my hometown of Huntsville has that US Space and Rocket Center (fancy name for Aerospace Museum), which is the home of Space Camp and also the Saturn V rocket (the one that carried Armstrong and Aldrin), which is not the one that's standing up (although on literally all of our promotional material, it is just a model), but the one that's suspended in midair in the large building next it, which is also visible from the highway. Other than that, Huntsville's a great place to live, but, other than a brief stop, not so much a grand place to visit.

Zrak
2015-09-05, 11:15 AM
Well, I'm in Providence, and I can't say this about the whole country per se, but a lot of my city is really goddamn gorgeous, aesthetically.

Providence is probably the prettiest city in America.

Wait, we're really going to let this slide?

Belgium would be a contender, were it not for its inexcusable failure to name a Belgian Strong ale "Muscles from Brussels" in honor of history's greatest Belgian, Jean-Claude van Damme.

I would also accept an apple lambic named after Magritte.

Moonshine is also becoming quite popular as well, and it shouldn't be hard to acquire, if you're into that

Which you shouldn't be, because the recent "popularity" of "moonshine" (and also moonshine) is an anomaly created by its recently increased commercial availability, which is in turn created by a lot of start-up distilleries needing to sell something while their product ages, so they sell some unaged white whiskey and call it moonshine. This has people erroneously convinced both that there is some inherently desirable quality of moonshine beyond the fact that it isn't taxed or regulated, which there really is not, and that something they make at home will be as good as the unaged product of a professional distillery, which it almost certainly won't be.

I mean, if it is your thing, don't let me deter you. But also, maybe let me deter you. :smalltongue:

ArlEammon
2015-09-05, 11:28 AM
Our freedoms are best. But to get into that would violate TOS.

The food is good. . . and there seems to be plenty of it.

Peelee
2015-09-05, 03:38 PM
We have the Golden Corral. You have not truly experienced America until you've been to the Golden Corral.

This. So much this. It's America on a stick. Actually, they probably have a dish called American on a Stick.

Anyway. If we're talking about regional foods, I'ma boutta have all y'all beat.

So a lot of states have restaurant chains that are only in that one state. Well, Birmingham, AL has the Milo's burger chain, which has like 30 or so locations, and is only in Birmingham. They used to have one in Tuscaloosa, but the burger gods decreed it was blasphemous for not being in Birmingham, and struck it down in their mighty tornado smiting of some years back.

Anyway. Delightful place, if you want to experience a ridiculously localized regional food, and want that food to be burgers. Their sweet tea got so famous that they sell ti in gallon jugs around the entire Southeast area (I've seen it as far west as Texas and I've heard of it as far north as Kentucky).

Amusingly, the Milo's restaurants, where the tea originated (Milo made some damn good burgers and tea. Seriously), no longer is allowed to serve Milo's Famous Sweet Tea - and they will let you know if you ever try to order it with your burger. Whole thing where the tea basically formed its own company, and were amicable until the restaurant made a big to-do about contract violations (the tea was being sold in more area than the restaurant wanted it to be), so the tea company dropped the burger joint because it didn't make as much money as the other markets.

We take our Milo's seriously 'round these here specifically small, intensively localized parts.

Hbgplayer
2015-09-07, 03:03 AM
If you come to California, and have to go to a fast food restaurant, make it In-n-Out. Best drive-through food ever. Their food is one of the only fast food chains that doesn't make me feel awful after eating it.

An Enemy Spy
2015-09-07, 08:33 PM
If you come to California, and have to go to a fast food restaurant, make it In-n-Out. Best drive-through food ever. Their food is one of the only fast food chains that doesn't make me feel awful after eating it.

I went there once with a group of over a hundred people. We were out the door in just ten minutes.

PallElendro
2015-09-11, 03:17 PM
Californian here. I much prefer Five Guys now that it has expanded west.
I suppose my favourite part about the States is that I'm not bogged down by taxes like some European states can be.

Gopher Wizard
2015-09-11, 03:32 PM
That you almost always have the option to put melted cheese on food.

Peelee
2015-09-11, 07:28 PM
Five Guys is indeed glorious, if a bit pricey.

Seerow
2015-09-11, 07:46 PM
Honestly I am not a fan of five-guys. They're a step up from McDonalds, but that doesn't say much. I'd honestly rather have a burger from Checkers or Burger King than Five Guys. Five Guys over charges by a lot, and their burgers are criminally underseasoned. They're bland and tasteless, with the only saving grace being fresh ingredients and made to order. But if I'm paying 10 bucks for a burger and fries I expect better than what I could make at home on my own grill, not worse.

Grinner
2015-09-11, 07:54 PM
Honestly I am not a fan of five-guys. They're a step up from McDonalds, but that doesn't say much. I'd honestly rather have a burger from Checkers or Burger King than Five Guys. Five Guys over charges by a lot, and their burgers are criminally underseasoned. They're bland and tasteless, with the only saving grace being fresh ingredients and made to order. But if I'm paying 10 bucks for a burger and fries I expect better than what I could make at home on my own grill, not worse.

On the other hand, their fries come by the shovelful.

Also, their cajun fries are very good.

Bobbybobby99
2015-09-12, 08:09 AM
Wait, someone doesn't like five guys? I declare blasphemy! (It may be that I live nearby where the original five guys was formed, so the one's that I go to are likely more 'authentic', while your area probably has cheap, franchised five guys. The one that I go to has hamburgers way better than anything I could grill, and the fries are divine.)

In any case, I have a whole boat-load of things that I like and dislike about the USA that I'm not allowed to say because they're political, so hmm... Well, I like five guys (burgers and fries), we have more local stores and restaurants than you can count, most of which are excellent, we aren't nearly as congested as most of Europe (overall), and we have decent cars.

Bulldog Psion
2015-09-14, 07:48 PM
A lot of really nice hiking trails in various states if you're into that kind of thing.

If you do go to Wisconsin, try to get to a Culver's restaurant and try a Butter Burger. It's probably not as overwhelming as stuff like Golden Corral or Five Guys, but it's at least a Wisconsin original. :smallwink:

Kymme
2015-09-14, 08:31 PM
I live in Montana, which is pretty far from the East Coast. Not really "day trip" material. That said, Glacier National Park has some of the most gorgeous (http://www.nationalparks.org/sites/default/files/styles/park_page_image/public/glacier.jpg?itok=e_7yY9jp) mountains (http://historictamaracklodge.com/files/2012/03/6.jpg) and vistas (http://gi365.co/adventure/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2013/08/Mount-Oberlin-GI-365-6.jpg) I've ever seen.

Razade
2015-09-15, 02:44 AM

In-And-Out is for serious the most overrated food chain out there. Their burgers are just alright. Carls Jr. has a better burger than In-And-Out.

MrZJunior
2015-09-15, 09:52 PM
For just general tourist stuff in the United States, it cannot be emphasized enough how truly magnificent and spectacular the US National Park system is.

That being said, I live in the DC area so I can give you some more specific advice about that.

1) DC has a generally quite good public transportation system, recent incidents not withstanding. I would recommend getting a SmarTrip card. This is a rechargeable fare card for usable on both the Washington and Baltimore public transportation networks. They only cost two dollars and you get charged extra to use paper fare cards these days, so they pay for themselves.

2) The museums are incredible. The Smithsonian Institution has the single largest museum collection in the entire world and it shows. Every one of the museums is worth visiting. However, since time is probably limited I will recommend three.

First, the Air and Space Museum is absolutely unmatched by anything else that I am aware of anywhere in the world. They have a piece of the moon which you are invited to touch, and lots of extra gear left over from the Apollo missions on display, the first aircraft, a couple full sized ballistic missiles and all kinds of other cool stuff.

Second, The National Museum of American History. This is a bit of an odd museum, containing everything from movie props, to cooking implements, to computers. The highlight is the Star Spangled Banner which flew over Fort McHenry when the British were driven back from Baltimore, the event which inspired the American National Anthem.

Third, you should visit the Museum of American Art. This is not downtown at the Mall but is a little bit to the North. The easiest way to get there is to go to the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro Station. The museum covers American art throughout the history of the Untied States, but its best collection is probably 19th to mid 20th century. It focuses on distinctly American styles of art and how that art was perceived and appreciated in broader society.

Also in that neighborhood is the National Building Museum. The museum is nice, but the exhibits cost money and are not really worth flying halfway around the world for. On the other hand, the building itself is absolutely spectacular. It was built soon after the American Civil War by Montgomery Meigs, an architect and engineer very important in the Washington area who is responsible for, among other things, setting up Arlington Cemetary, building the Washington Aqueduct, and building the current dome of the Capitol Building.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/National_building_museum_columns.png

3) The Potomac river is quite spectacular. I'm not certain how feasible it would be to work this in, but a little ways up the river from Washington are the Great Falls of the Potomac. The Potomac runs through a very dramatic gorge at that point and almost the entire length of that part of the river is park land. Unfortunately I don't think getting there on public transportation is very practical.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Great_Falls_Potomac_River_VA.JPG

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Peelee
2015-09-16, 10:22 PM
In-And-Out is for serious the most overrated food chain out there. Their burgers are just alright. Carls Jr. has a better burger than In-And-Out.

Hardee's is indeed delightful. I remember back when they were god-awful. I couldn't understand how they existed for so long. The rebranding really turned 'em around.

For the Brits: there is a burger chain with different names on the east coast and west coast, but the same food, decor, mascot, etc. Yes, America is weird.

Zrak
2015-09-17, 02:47 PM

I demand satisfaction. Name your second, sir.

Havelocke
2015-09-18, 11:35 AM
*makes popcorn and grabs a seat*

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-18, 12:33 PM
The fact that I can still complain about American government and society openly, without getting either disappeared or socially shunned, as long as I don't do it here.

MrZJunior
2015-09-18, 01:25 PM
The fact that I can still complain about American government and society openly, without getting either disappeared or socially shunned, as long as I don't do it here.

The question is more specifically about tourist things, like what sort of stuff he should do while visiting the US.

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-18, 01:55 PM
Oh.

Come to Texas and eat food. All of it. Steakhouse steak, barbecue, fried chicken, fried catfish, Tex-Mex cooked by people who know what they're doing, grits, fried okra, fried beer (it's a state fair food), everything.

MrZJunior
2015-09-18, 03:20 PM
Come to Texas and eat food. All of it. Steakhouse steak, barbecue, fried chicken, fried catfish, Tex-Mex cooked by people who know what they're doing, grits, fried okra, fried beer (it's a state fair food), everything.

He's focusing on the East Coast, mostly in the DC area iirc.

Okra is great and tex-mex can be good, but deep fried beer? That sounds revolting.

Peelee
2015-09-18, 04:19 PM
The question is more specifically about tourist things, like what sort of stuff he should do while visiting the US.

I hear taxation without representation is a big thing. He should try that while here.

Nerd-o-rama
2015-09-18, 04:56 PM
I hear taxation without representation is a big thing. He should try that while here.

Well technically all he has to do is buy something outside the airport and he'll be sales taxed without representation.

Anyway, on the East Coast, outside of DC, if you want to see American Heritage, hit up New York City and Philadelphia (...during the daytime). Back onto the food thing, though, seafood on the east coast is fantastic, as is basically anything you buy from a street vendor in New York City.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2015-09-18, 07:23 PM
As I have no data for the what it would be like to live in a different country, I cannot answer.

But I always thought it funny that our most famous city is not our capitol, instead it's New York City.

Most famous city for UK? London.
France? Paris.
Russia? Moscow.
Japan? Tokyo.
China? alright you got me there but 4 out of 5, still gets my point across.

Peelee
2015-09-21, 01:04 PM
As I have no data for the what it would be like to live in a different country, I cannot answer.

But I always thought it funny that our most famous city is not our capitol, instead it's New York City.

France? Paris.
Russia? Moscow.
Japan? Tokyo.

Hell, that same thing extends to a lot of states.

Most famous city for New York state? New York City.
Illinois? Chicago.
Michigan? Detroit.
Alabama? Birmingham.
Alaska? Anchorage.
California? Los Angeles and/or San Francisco.
Nevada? Las Vegas.
Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Texas, Oregon, Washington, etc. All the most recognizable and biggest cities are not the capitals. I mean, sure there are exceptions (Atlanta is massive, and no offense to people from Boise, but Boise ain't exactly a famed metropolis).

Archonic Energy
2015-09-23, 02:35 AM

France? Paris.
Russia? Moscow.
Japan? Tokyo.

Quick question. What is the most famous city of Australia? And what is the capital? It's not always the same.

MrZJunior
2015-09-23, 08:26 AM
Quick question. What is the most famous city of Australia? And what is the capital? It's not always the same.

Sydney and Canberra respectively.

This is not as uncommon as you might think. Arguably Shanghai is the most famous city in China while Bejing is the capital. Istanbul is the most famous city in Turkey but the capital is Ankra.

Peelee
2015-09-23, 09:34 AM
Istanbul is the most famous city in Turkey but the capital is Ankra.

Wasn't that Constantinople?

MrZJunior
2015-09-23, 09:45 AM
Wasn't that Constantinople?

Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople

Archonic Energy
2015-09-23, 10:53 AM
MrZ i can not like that post...

so i'm telling you i like that post!

Peelee
2015-09-23, 11:06 AM
Istanbul was Constantinople
Now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople
Been a long time gone, Constantinople

Why did Constantinople get the works?

Havelocke
2015-09-23, 11:51 AM
nobody knows but the Turks!

thorgrim29
2015-09-23, 12:06 PM
To make a clean break with the Ottoman Empire when they (they here being mainly Mustapha "Ataturk" Kemal) created the Republic of Turkey in the 30s apparently. The Ottoman Sultans kept the Constantinople name after they conquered in the 15th century.

Also, same thing in Canada, biggest/most well known city, Toronto. Capital: Ottawa. And in my home province of Quebec same thing again, the capital is Quebec city and not montreal (though with this one if you know that there is such a place as Quebec city you can probably figure it out).

Finally, not to start a tired debate again, but what I like about America is that it's a continent and not just a country.

Peelee
2015-09-23, 12:59 PM
(though with this one if you know that there is such a place as Quebec city you can probably figure it out).

You would think that. And then some silly people build a city in Missouri named Kansas City, and nothing makes sense anymore.

Oh! Another thing to love about America? Fine, quality Canadian tv. Like Corner Gas. That show was superb.

And thanks to all who sang with me. That song is just plain fun.

Havelocke
2015-09-23, 04:30 PM
Living in Kansas City I can agree with you! 3/4 of the city is in Missouri, but the last portion is wedged into Kansas....makes for a heck of a mess for roads, taxes, law enforcement, etc... At least we have great BBQ, Jazz music, and baseball (no comment on the american football, but our soccer/football team is pretty good too!)

Insane Trystane
2015-09-27, 05:58 PM
Being from DC, I highly recommend going there to do some tourist-y stuff. The museums are free, the monuments are free, and if you're the type who likes to read you could spend three days here without paying a cent for activities. It's great.

Some tips for anyone considering a trip: Find a hotel that's close to a Metro station, not necessarily close to something you're interested in. The Metro trains are fairly intuitive and contain many tourist-friendly people, so you'll be able to find your way around without staying at an uber-expensive hotel. Also, get a SmarTrip card, not paper farecards. The farecards add $1 each trip and the SmarTrip cards only cost $2 for the card; after two trips, you're saving money. And don't forget to look into the day/week passes if you're going to travel a lot.

Oh, and if you're going to spend money in DC, the Nationals baseball stadium is the place to be. Pack lunchboxes so you don't have to pay for the over-taxed food, though--check their website to see what's allowed to be brought in.

As for the rest of the country, Cincinnatti's a beautiful city. If you like classical music, check out their symphony. I have many fond memories of going there with my dad as a kid. The Midwest in general's a great place to live; the people are friendly and the culture is pretty chill.

Also: New Orleans. Street music, the French Quarter, Cafe du Monde, it's all high-energy. See if you can get a guided tour of the city, especially the graveyards; it's historically fascinating. Do the buffet brunch at the Court of the Two Sisters if you want authentic and delicious New Orleans food.

If you're headed out West, the Grand Canyon is majestic, Yellowstone is unbelievably cool, and the Petrified Forest is 100% worth the walk. There might be bison-related traffic delays, though, just a heads up. My family planned a month-long RV trip from DC to all these places and more, so I'm partial to self-planned vacations instead of travel agencies if you know the limits of you and the people you're with.

And as for the South, I'm partial to Tennessee, having spent four years there in undergrad. East TN is unbelievably gorgeous all year 'round, but especially in the spring and fall. It's the foothills of Appalachia (go on a hike if you're up for it!), and is the most beautiful place on Earth I've seen so far--although I might be biased due to the great time I had there at college.

tl;dr I don't think I've found a bad place to be in the USA.

Aedilred
2015-09-29, 07:57 AM
Sydney and Canberra respectively.

This is not as uncommon as you might think. Arguably Shanghai is the most famous city in China while Bejing is the capital. Istanbul is the most famous city in Turkey but the capital is Ankra.

It seems to be particularly common in modern federal republics, probably to avoid giving too much power to a single city/state/province/whatever, while also signifying a new start for the country. Pakistan's capital is in Islamabad, not Karachi or Lahore. India's is in Delhi rather than Kolkata/Calcutta or Mumbai/Bombay. Brazil's isn't in Rio. Back in the days of West Germany, the capital was in Bonn rather than any number of larger or better-qualified cities. South Africa has three capitals and none of them is Johannesburg.

It's not a new phenomenon, either, I think. By European standards, Madrid is not particularly old or well-established, and compared to Valladolid, Toledo, Granada, Zaragoza or Barcelona was in some ways a bit of a left-field choice when it became the Spanish capital in the 16th century.

Of course, where cities are of a similar size, the capital tends to become better-known anyway, just because it's the capital and therefore gets marked on maps and trivia questions and so on. In Russia, for instance, the only real reason Moscow seems more familiar than St. Petersburg, I suspect, is because it's the current capital.

Peelee
2015-09-29, 11:46 AM
OP, if you are in America currently, one of my favorite things about America is American cinema. And tomorrow, they are re-releasing The Iron Giant as a special edition, with two deleted scenes, in theaters. And since it's one of the best movies ever made (subjective, I know), and if you haven't seen it, OHMYGODGOSEEIT.

Velaryon
2015-09-30, 02:43 PM
I demand satisfaction. Name your second, sir.

I volunteer to be Seerow's second. Five Guys was the most overpriced burger I've ever had. Decent? Sure. Worth $12 for a burger, fries, and small drink? Definitely not.

With regard to the original question, I cannot offer much because I live in the Chicago suburbs and have never been to the east coast. That said, if you ever come to Chicago:

1. get a view from the top of the Sears Tower (some joker tried to rename it the Willis Tower but everyone around here knows what it's really called).
2. check out the Shedd Aquarium, especially if you like any sort of marine life.*
3. can't go wrong with the Field Museum either.*

*These two locations are doubly interesting if you happen to be a fan of The Dresden Files.

4. eat Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Seriously, best pizza in the United States bar none.
5. if you're a heavy metal fan (and honestly, even if you're not) get a burger from Kuma's Corner. Words cannot describe the awesomeness.
6. a Chicago suburb called Oak Park has Ernest Hemingway's home and a whole tour of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, if either of those are interesting to you.
7. catch a show at the Second City comedy club, the place where many of Saturday Night Live's America's greatest comedy talents got their starts.

There's plenty more, but that's a good list to get started.

Zrak
2015-09-30, 11:15 PM
Finally, not to start a tired debate again, but what I like about America is that it's a continent and not just a country.

America isn't a continent.

Peelee
2015-10-01, 01:12 AM
[list]

I can't hero but note a distinct lack of "re-enact the entirety of The Blues Brothers, which was truly our generation's Citizen Kane."

Also, $12? Are you sure you didn't get 2 burgers, with drink and fries? Or does Chicago have 40% food tax? Should run you 7 bucks, maybe 8.

Velaryon
2015-10-03, 09:11 PM
I can't hero but note a distinct lack of "re-enact the entirety of The Blues Brothers, which was truly our generation's Citizen Kane."

Well, that should go without saying, really.

Also, $12? Are you sure you didn't get 2 burgers, with drink and fries? Or does Chicago have 40% food tax? Should run you 7 bucks, maybe 8.

Nope, one burger. And it was in the suburbs, so not subject to any city taxes. We do have high taxes in Illinois, but not enough to add $5 to a single burger and fries. Maybe the chain's prices have come down in the three years since I've eaten there, or maybe this one location was gouging customers, I don't know. But it definitely did not cost me under $10.

Peelee
2015-10-04, 09:06 AM
Hmmm. Honestly, i think the cashier double charged you by mistake. Cone dine with me wife and me in birmingham, where its NOT twelve bucks. Still definitely on the pricey side, but not to ripoff levels.

We also have Milo's.

Zrak
2015-10-04, 05:11 PM
I don't know why I rushed to defend Five Guys' burgers. I haven o idea what their burgers are like. I'm a vegetarian, I just get their delicious fries and weirdly phenomenal grilled cheese.

Velaryon
2015-10-05, 01:06 AM
Hmmm. Honestly, i think the cashier double charged you by mistake. Cone dine with me wife and me in birmingham, where its NOT twelve bucks. Still definitely on the pricey side, but not to ripoff levels.

We also have Milo's.

I think what I'd save in burger price, I would more than make up for in the extra gas I'd spend coming to Birmingham. Thanks for the invite though. :smallbiggrin:

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 11:11 AM
Providence is probably the prettiest city in America.

We are the prettiest city in America. We're so pretty one of our Sister Cities is Florence. Yes, the Italian one. Let's take some time to bask in it, shall we?

http://i.imgur.com/s4gCtoq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e1IjNyW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KISYIw8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/p367pX7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RfnkxTS.jpg

Here's some Google Maps Streetview action to top it off. Benefit Street is one of the things people talk about when they say that. A little less so when it turns into North Main. Wickenden Street is pretty lovely, and there's a secret bar around there that I would tell you about/take you to if you were in town. I'll start you out in front of Geoff's (https://goo.gl/maps/KGRydVoFnzC2). They're good enough to be featured on Phantom Gourmet.

Generally, if you're from out of town, try to come in when we're doing a Waterfire at least once. It's the kind of thing you need to witness firsthand before you're dead.

4. eat Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Seriously, best pizza in the United States bar none.

What? Pff. New York-y flat pizza is what you want. Or, if I can brag about my hometown again, Providence has the kind of pizza selection that puts us at #1-#2 on most (if not all) lists involving pizza. If I had an out-of-state guest and the budget to do it (curse these frugal-by-necessities 20's years), I'd probably have you try a few pizza places out just to show off.

As far as food things in Providence are concerned, while we do have a lot of franchise food, local alternatives are great enough that I strive to eat 'em unless I flaked on their existence rather than merely local pride. Here's some recommendations from a native local's personal favorites, in no particular order (save for mentioning Newport Creamery first on purpose);

Newport Creamery. There's a few around as they're a state-chain (although one exists right on the other side of the Massachusetts border), so look one up that's near you. You want to order an Awful Awful, because it is the milkshake by which a Rhode Islander evaluates any other milkshake they will ever drink in their entire lives. When people want to mock us, they usually mention this at some point. I also personally like their mozzarella sticks, but I generally love mozzarella sticks.
In summertime, get a Del's Frozen Lemonade. They're a local delicacy, it's like if frozen lemonade was good.
Geoff's Sandwiches on Benefit Street, which I linked earlier in the post. Local secret: if you go in on a Tuesday and it's 2-for-1, which is great if you're with a group that's divisible by two. I personally get a Godfather and a little bag of chips (or crisps if you're from the UK) to make a very meat-crunch-cheese-yum sandwich. It was my Tuesday dinner for a good part of my senior year in High School because it was on the way home. You have a lot of options, though, so ask the people in there what they think you should try out based on what you look for in a sandwich.
Antonio's on Thayer Street; it's by the slice (although you can also do the pie-by-phone thing if you like) pizza. They're offering some California-y wacky-toppings pizza in addition to the classic New York flat pizza. You can get a plain cheese, pepperoni, or literally nacho pizza without any of the suffering in quality by the inclusion of the others. Their specialty is variety, and it works. Plus there's good Tex-Mexican food in the same room if you and/or yours want that in addition to or instead of pizza.
Wings Over Providence. I like their waffle fries enough that I walk to one to eat 'em about once every two or three weeks, and I hear their chicken is also really good.
Red Stripe on Angell Street. A touch pricey, but they're very, very good. I recommend the grilled cheese and tomato soup from experience because I am either a child or an old man at heart, but you've got a lot of choices.
We're apparently the only state that loves coffee milk. I'm not the biggest fan, but if you're curious, we have it.

We're also a reasonable city for walking to other stuff. Nothing's more than a few miles away at most. It's roomy enough not to feel crowded, but city enough that it's not sparse.

Grinner
2015-10-24, 11:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/KISYIw8.jpg

Pineapples have been considered a symbol of hospitality (and also affluence, I think) in some places, thus why it's hanging over the road. Which is weird, because I've always thought of it as a Southern thing, not a Northern thing. Maybe it's actually a pinecone?

ThinkMinty
2015-10-24, 11:54 AM
Pineapples have been considered a symbol of hospitality (and also affluence, I think) in some places, thus why it's hanging over the road. Which is weird, because I've always thought of it as a Southern thing, not a Northern thing. Maybe it's actually a pinecone?

I've heard it's a pine nut. The point is, Atwells Avenue has a pineapple arch that greets people coming in. How wacky and fun is that?

Peelee
2015-10-24, 02:22 PM
What? Pff. New York-y flat pizza is what you want.

If you hate pizza, that is.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-25, 03:50 AM
If you hate pizza, that is.

The flatter pizza can be folded to create dense pizza if you want dense pizza, or eaten bite by bite if you want to savor it. It's flexible, and easier to store as leftovers.

Might be valuing being able to eat while walking more than you, though.

Peelee
2015-10-25, 10:43 AM
Might be valuing being able to eat while walking more than you, though.

Ya know, i never thought about it that way. I do believe you are correct.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-25, 11:06 PM
Ya know, i never thought about it that way. I do believe you are correct.

Ultimately people's pizza preferences boil down to what they grew up with, most of the time. Or they found themselves enjoying a different regional pie when travelling.

Weirdly enough I've never tried New Haven style pizza even though Connecticut is right next door. I should ask my cousin about it.

Talya
2015-10-26, 02:58 PM
I am not American. I am Canadian, on that little penninsula on the south side of Ontario that is nestled in between Michigan and New York State, with Lake Erie all that separates us from the state of Ohio, so I have America on three sides of me.

I'm going to comment here because you probably don't think other countries love things about America. This is not true. We love LOTS of things about America. Sure, there may be things we prefer in our own country, depending where that is, but America has many things that I absolutely adore. I'll mention just a few of them. I could come up with many more if I tried harder.

1. The infectious culture of individual freedom that now permeates much of the world. America may not have invented the concept, or even perfected it, but nobody has preached it so well and caused the rest of the world to think, "This is a good idea."

2. Hollywood, California. Oh, I know most non-Californian Americans hate California, but you don't know what California given America and the rest of the world, here. The movie industry, television, they're the foundation of everything that makes modern society more enjoyable than living 100 years ago.

3. Your Interstate system. I've driven across much of the USA - and it's SO EASY. I'm probably more bullish on it because I've never experienced Europe's high-speed train system, but Canada has nothing to compare to the US Interstate system. It's well maintained, with reasonable speed limits, frequent and clean rest stops, welcome centers at every state with information... I love it. (I should also mention to go along with this - cheap fuel prices!)

4. Walt Disney World. 'Nuff said.

5. Baseball. Oh, sure, I prefer Hockey. (I'm Canadian, eh.) But Baseball is also great, and uniquely American.

6. America's open-border relationship with Canada. I only learned recently that people in other countries need more than a simple passport to visit America, and travel visas are not always easy to get.

I could list lots of stuff that irritates me. But why bother? It's the stuff I love that changes my life.

Peelee
2015-10-26, 03:16 PM
Man, I really love Canada, because of the relationship the U.S. and Canada have between them. Longest unprotected border in the world (militarily) and all. It's a great sense of trust and openness between the two nations. I mean, sure, you need a passport and have to go through border patrol or there's gonna be problems, but it's two sovereign states, so that's to be expected; I really like when countries maintain a best-buds-type relationship between them.

And yeah, while most everyone I know regards California as pretty much a joke of a state, we do recognize that Hollywood is an entertainment powerhouse. The flip side of this is that the people are extra crazy.

Talya
2015-10-26, 03:56 PM
Also: New Orleans. Street music, the French Quarter, Cafe du Monde, it's all high-energy. See if you can get a guided tour of the city, especially the graveyards; it's historically fascinating. Do the buffet brunch at the Court of the Two Sisters if you want authentic and delicious New Orleans food.

Forgot this. Absolutely everything here. (Although be prepared to shell out for the buffet at the court of two sisters - it's an expensive breakfast. Worth it, though.)

I adore New Orleans.

Let me explain everything that's right about the culture in New Orleans with one simple fact. Everywhere else in North America, Airports are named after boring political figures: Ronald Reagan Washington National (DC), George Bush Interncontinental (Houston), Douglas International (Charlotte), McCarran International (Las Vegas), Laguardia (New York), Dwight D. Eisenhower National (Wichita), Dulles (DC), Pearson International (Toronto), MacDonald-Cartier International (Ottawa), Pierre Elliott Trudeau International (Montreal)... I could go on for a while. They're all named after politicians.

Then we have....

Louis Armstrong International.

What a wonderful world, man. I love New Orleans. The difference in culture that inspires a city to name their airport after a great jazz musician instead of a politician permeates the entire city. New Orleans is music.

Peelee
2015-10-26, 04:17 PM
New Orleans is music.

Same for Nashville. Which is mostly why I don't like New Orleans or Nashville; unless you really love their specific brand of music, the whole city is kind of tacky.

Cafe du Monde is glorious, though. I thrive on them beignets.

nyjastul69
2015-10-26, 10:32 PM
Lots of great stuff about Providence.

I lived in Prov for 15 years, currently residing in Lincoln. The hidden bar you were speaking about, was it the Duck & Bunny perhaps?

I'm always afraid that darned pineapple is gonna drop on a car I'm in someday.

To add to what ThinkMinty said, the pizza here is excellent. Sicilia's Pizzeria is my favorite. Their thin crust, regular crust and stuffed pizza (Chicago style) are all superb.

ETA: I know the 'pineapple' *is* actually a pine cone, but don't tell anyone in RI, they probably won't believe you. ;) Apparently it's an Italian symbol of welcome, quality and abundance. The area in Providence that has that arch is federal hill, RI's 'little Italy'.

ThinkMinty
2015-10-27, 03:08 AM
The infectious culture of individual freedom that now permeates much of the world. America may not have invented the concept, or even perfected it, but nobody has preached it so well and caused the rest of the world to think, "This is a good idea."

Same here. We're one of the few places founded on a revolution that didn't turn around into an authoritarian cluster-**** in the immediate aftermath. That's damn impressive, is what that is.

I lived in Prov for 15 years, currently residing in Lincoln. The hidden bar you were speaking about, was it the Duck & Bunny perhaps?

Good guess, but...nope; Portuguese American Social Club. When I say secret, I mean secret.

Hollywood, California. Oh, I know most non-Californian Americans hate California, but you don't know what California given America and the rest of the world, here. The movie industry, television, they're the foundation of everything that makes modern society more enjoyable than living 100 years ago.

You'll find that's a lot less true outside the South. Or at the very least, I personally don't hate California or use it as a shorthand. I could take or leave the South, though.

Incidentally, the craziest state is Florida. Seriously, just Google "Florida Man" and get astounded.

And yeah, while most everyone I know regards California as pretty much a joke of a state, we do recognize that Hollywood is an entertainment powerhouse. The flip side of this is that the people are extra crazy.

Really, Alabama? Oh wait, Alabama. Nevermind.

Peelee
2015-10-27, 05:44 AM
Really, Alabama? Oh wait, Alabama. Nevermind.

Eh, I'm used to that. The small-town cities still carry on that legacy, though I think Birmingham would surprise you.

And while AL still has some stigma, we're not the national jokes that Caifornia and Florida are (I love Florida Man). I think at this point even California is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

nyjastul69
2015-10-27, 09:06 AM
Good guess, but...nope; Portuguese American Social Club. When I say secret, I mean secret.

Ahhh... I misunderstood. I post from my phone and a faulty memory. I thought you said on Wickenden, not near it, and you said secret, not hidden. Do you have to be a member to go there? Sometimes social clubs have membership rules.

Anywho, if anyone is in Providence the Duck & Bunny is a very cool and cute place. It's not a bar or eatery, it's a Snuggery. Which reminds me, I gotta get back there soon. ThinkMinty, thanks for reminding me.

Talya
2015-10-27, 04:00 PM
Incidentally, the craziest state is Florida. Seriously, just Google "Florida Man" and get astounded.

You won't surprise many people with this.

There's a contest on a local morning show every morning, where they ask a listener who calls in a few trivia questions and the winner gets a prize, pretty standard faire. One of their regular categories is called "Fake or Florida" - where they read a ridiculous headline, and the caller needs to guess where this is a real headline that happened in florida, or whether they completely made it up.

And I'm in Canada. :)

With that said, Florida is my most commonly visited state!

TheThan
2015-10-27, 08:25 PM
And while AL still has some stigma, we're not the national jokes that Caifornia and Florida are (I love Florida Man). I think at this point even California is known to the state of California to cause cancer.

I feel like I must defend California. If you get out of the two major metro areas you’ll find most people to be pretty normal. It’s just that the nut jobs have a tendency to congregate together which gives places like San Francisco its reputation. Granted there are some weird things like UC Santa Cruz, whose team mascot is a banana slug (feel free to look that up; I’m not linking it). But generally most people fall on the boring side of normal.

But there’s a lot to do in California

If you’re the outdoorsy type there’s coastal activities like deep sea fishing (check local regulations) and whale watching, sea kayaking, to surfing and just chilling on the beach. There’s hiking, camping skiing/snowboarding, white water rafting up in the mountains, fly fishing (again check local regulations) both in the valley and in the mountains, there’s gold mining in gold country and out in the desert; dirt biking/atving you name it.
There’s beautiful national parks to go and visit like Yosemite, Redwood national park, a beautiful rocky coast line, the Mohave desert, Joshua tree national park, Death valley; several national forests you can go visit, tons of stuff to do. There’s tons of sight seeing you can do, go wine tasting up in wine country, there’s a bunch of historical sites you can go visit. Just make sure the pack your sunscreen.

If the great out of doors isn’t for you don’t fret, there’s tons of things to do without leaving civilization behind. There are tons of amusement parks; Disney land, universal studios Hollywood, the San Diego Zoo, sea world San Diego, there’s Six Flags Magic Mountain, Great America, Nott’s Berry Farm. There’s plenty of touristy things to go see; the Monterrey bay aquarium, there’s the Exploratorium, San Francisco zoo, California academy of sciences, there’s fisherman’s Warf, the Hollywood walk of fame, all sorts of museums I can’t name them all, although my favorite is the California State Mining and Mineral Museum (if you’re going to Yosemite it’s worth the slight detour).

We’ve got four Five baseball teams, three (American) football teams, three soccer teams, five basketball team (including a women’s’ basketball team), and three hockey teams. We have tons of golf courses as well. So if sports is your thing, then California probably has you covered.

What most people don’t realize is that California is freaking huge. No it’s the third largest state in the union behind Alaska and Texas. It’s a six hour drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles (sans traffic) if that gives you an idea. Naturally because California is so big, things are quite spread out. So plan your trip accordingly, if you want to visit places down in the L.A basin, then you probably won’t be able to visit places elsewhere like say San Francisco bay area. That is unless you spend the time to fly or you’ve got plenty of time to travel about via car. So if you want to visit, feel free to, just remember to research and plan your trip thoroughly. You don't want to fly into L.A. when you should have flown into San Francisco.

[edit] five baseball teams. by bad

Peelee
2015-10-28, 12:01 AM
lots

Oh, I'm sure California is beautiful. That's why people have been flocking there for hundreds of years (well, that and the gold). It's mostly the government and the crazies that i find odd, and the crazies are very notable due to the richness and high-profile-ness.

Which isn't to say that other states for instance, aren't so notoriously corrupt that its major politicians keep going to prison, or have their own vocal minority that keep the stigma of inbred hillbillies alive and well. It's just that CA (and yes, also FL) are just simply more fun to pick on.

TheThan
2015-10-28, 12:56 PM
Yeah, it’s not like crazy people and government corruption is unique to California. I can certainly see why it’s easy to pick on though. There are a lot of bizarre laws on books all over the place, laws I’m sure made sense when they were created but now just seem bizarre and weird. So I don’t quite get it, maybe it’s because I’m from here.

Let’s see, I think it might be because unless said crazies are actually trying to draw attention, we don’t fixate on them; sure we spot them and then ignore them. Californians are a bit… stand offish… not so much rude (well ok I kinda take that back; there are a lot of rude people here. And yes it’s frustrating); but we’re less likely to strike up a conversation with a total stranger (internet anonymity yay).

True story: there’s a guy that lives near me, every weekend I see him out on the side walk dancing. He’s wearing a noise canceling headset and seems pretty oblivious to everyone and how he appears to others. I notice him, but I don’t stand there watching in shock and awe. I just notice him and keep on going. Heck I dunno if the guy’s crazy or not.

Another true story: I spend about a week in Tennessee (beautiful state), and the people I was staying with (family) would just strike up conversations in the supermarket with total strangers. Yeah it’s very friendly, which is great but it seems just weird to me. I don’t know these people, why do I want to tell them all the intimate details about my life. I just want to buy my food and go.

So I guess you can say we're used to the weirdos.

t209
2015-10-29, 10:13 PM
It seems to be particularly common in modern federal republics, probably to avoid giving too much power to a single city/state/province/whatever, while also signifying a new start for the country. Pakistan's capital is in Islamabad, not Karachi or Lahore. India's is in Delhi rather than Kolkata/Calcutta or Mumbai/Bombay. Brazil's isn't in Rio. Back in the days of West Germany, the capital was in Bonn rather than any number of larger or better-qualified cities. South Africa has three capitals and none of them is Johannesburg.

It's not a new phenomenon, either, I think. By European standards, Madrid is not particularly old or well-established, and compared to Valladolid, Toledo, Granada, Zaragoza or Barcelona was in some ways a bit of a left-field choice when it became the Spanish capital in the 16th century.

Of course, where cities are of a similar size, the capital tends to become better-known anyway, just because it's the capital and therefore gets marked on maps and trivia questions and so on. In Russia, for instance, the only real reason Moscow seems more familiar than St. Petersburg, I suspect, is because it's the current capital.
And the capital of Burma/Myanmar became Nay Pyi Taw (literally named as "The Palace") in 2006 instead of Yangon/Rangoon. Well, depends if rumors of "prevention of amphibious invasion" or "astronomers" were true.

kaufen
2015-10-30, 02:45 AM
My special acknowledgement goes to the Americans who have truly made a contribution to the world such as Bill Gate, Albert Einstein, the inventors etc... but absolute zero to those who tend to hide behind the success of other.

Aedilred
2015-10-30, 07:45 AM
And the capital of Burma/Myanmar became Nay Pyi Taw (literally named as "The Palace") in 2006 instead of Yangon/Rangoon. Well, depends if rumors of "prevention of amphibious invasion" or "astronomers" were true.

Sadly, I think it is almost impossible to discuss almost anything that's happened in Burma/Myanmar over the last half-century without breaching the forum rules on politics.

Peelee
2015-10-30, 12:28 PM
My special acknowledgement goes to the Americans who have truly made a contribution to the world such as Bill Gate, Albert Einstein, the inventors etc... but absolute zero to those who tend to hide behind the success of other.

I've often wondered how incredibly notable people who immigrated would be seen in this context. For instance, I still see Einstein as German rather than American, at least as far as classifying people who contributed to the world into their nationalisms.

Hbgplayer
2015-10-30, 01:00 PM
As a Northern California, I must say: please don't lump us all in with SoCal.
Without getting into politics, many of us are fed up with LA and SF dominating the State, and the only redeeming thing about LA is Disneyland.
http://s.quickmeme.com/img/93/9357048a8f1bdf4245c6476c90a16f74ac252082268d4a9314 fd2ed6c8f77c6d.jpg

Peelee
2015-10-30, 01:25 PM
Without getting into politics, many of us are fed up with LA and SF dominating the State, and the only redeeming thing about LA is Disneyland.
http://s.quickmeme.com/img/93/9357048a8f1bdf4245c6476c90a16f74ac252082268d4a9314 fd2ed6c8f77c6d.jpg

Oh my, that's pretty. Though I would say that LA also has Columbo going for it. He does his best to stem the tide of crime among LA's rich and powerful elite, who apparently commit murder at a shockingly high rate.

t209
2015-10-31, 03:08 PM
Sadly, I think it is almost impossible to discuss almost anything that's happened in Burma/Myanmar over the last half-century without breaching the forum rules on politics.
Well, just giving another example of "capital is not always major city".
Well, for me, I like US due to better than Burma by comparison; mostly in Internet connection, traffic, once-visited shooting range, and non-Burmese food.
But not interested in Disneyland anymore due to being grown up and not used to sweet things anymore.

MrZJunior
2015-11-02, 08:27 AM

LA also has an amazing museum of classical statuary.