PDA

View Full Version : Your real party role

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 01:01 PM
Roleplay-wise, what position to you like to hold?

Leader
Party Face
Intimidating Thug/Big Gun (be it muscle or spell powered)
Loner
Voice of Reason

Something else?

Nevermore
2007-05-02, 01:03 PM
Voice of Reason, because most of the time unless my buddy Seine is playing, if I don't take up the role our party is entirely 100% doomed.

Jannex
2007-05-02, 01:08 PM
Voice of Reason, although occasionally that role is subsumed into the Leadership role, depending on the other players. I tend to play the "duct tape character" (a term derived from a gaming-table quote a few years ago: "PC cohesion is good; otherwise I would have to use duct tape.")--in other words, the character who keeps the rest of the party working together as a group and vaguely on-task. If there's another clear leader-type in the group, I usually end up as the second-in-command, which is usually the best position to duct-tape from.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-05-02, 01:09 PM
Comic relief.

silentknight
2007-05-02, 01:25 PM
As one of the regular DMs for our group and the most experienced gamer, the others naturally let me be the leader of the group.

Ali
2007-05-02, 01:26 PM
Well, I generally like to make sure everyone is alright in a situation.

I let someone else plan before we go into battle, then point out the weak-points that could be improved in their plan.

I also do a lot of the talking. I selected Party Face.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 01:26 PM
I lead, usually, whether by choice or by election.

InfiniteMiller
2007-05-02, 01:31 PM
Currently, I play a paladin, which means voice of reason, leadership and party face. My character is kinda overcautious and quiet, so I selected voice of reason because he does that the most often.

DrummingDM
2007-05-02, 01:32 PM
Leader. Although, I've been making a concerted effort to, when I get to play, RP a less dominant personality in my characters, allowing other characters to take the lead. Only because I used to frequently find myself OVER-leading the other players. I felt guilty.

DaMullet
2007-05-02, 01:41 PM
Thug, to be certain. While Casters have a certain appeal, nothing can outshine charging up to the enemy and dealing 1d12+a Gazillion damage, every round, particularly if you have a high Con for extra-long ragery.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 01:42 PM
I usually end up as the voice of reason whether I want it or not, and whether that means the leader or not. I'm surprised i haven't seen any "Loners" yet, since I know a lot of players like to play put-upon outcasts, maverics who like to work alone, go scouting by themselves, and do shady deals behind the other PCs backs.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 01:45 PM
I usually end up as the voice of reason whether I want it or not, and whether that means the leader or not. I'm surprised i haven't seen any "Loners" yet, since I know a lot of players like to play put-upon outcasts, maverics who like to work alone, go scouting by themselves, and do shady deals behind the other PCs backs.

Those also happen to be the kind of people who don't usually post on forums.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-05-02, 01:46 PM
I'm a big fan of Leading, and consequently tend to go for Party Face as well.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 01:51 PM
Good point, Fax. I sort of thought of that as I was posting, then thought, no, surely SOMEBODY on this forum plays that way...

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-02, 01:55 PM
Only when we're also crazy too, Juris.

Only when we're crazy.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 01:58 PM
If the pole can be trusted (maybe after a bit more data), it looks like the people that tend to post on this forum also tend to be the party glue/VoR. Not all that surprising when you think about it.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-02, 02:02 PM
It makes sense. I'm kind of surprised I'm the only "loner" type here at the moment. A lot of people like to pretend they're loners for some god awful reason usually involving the goth/emo/anime scenes. Surely those people would call themselves loners as well for the sake of their street cred.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 02:07 PM
Somebody else voted loner! Fess up!

I wish I'd included Comic Relief in the poll, but there's a 5 choice limit. Ce la vie.

Indon
2007-05-02, 02:09 PM
I fill whatever role is vacant, generally, in the group dynamic. I've been the crazy one before, even.

Lemur
2007-05-02, 02:13 PM
I'm kind of surprised I'm the only "loner" type here at the moment.

It makes sense, though, right? :smallwink:

My role is generally Crazy Guy/Loose Cannon. Oddly enough, I often end up being the voice of reason as well. It's kind of funny when the party turns to the most obviously unstable member of the group and asks, "what's the plan?"

Halfling_Daniel
2007-05-02, 02:26 PM
I chose "Voice of Reason" becuase that's the closest approximate to what my characters tend to be, although "Good Guy" would be a much more accurrate term.

Cyborg Pirate
2007-05-02, 02:43 PM
I can't pick one. I like all of the roles and I try to fill a different one each game :smallsmile:

Jimp
2007-05-02, 02:48 PM
I've played the role of Intimidating Thug recently. Although it's more of an Intimidating Guy Summoning Legions of Demonic Servants role, to be exactly.

Dire Cohort
2007-05-02, 02:49 PM
I tend to be the default face because I am usually one of the first to want to talk things out. I'd be a good face if we ever actually needed to make social skill roles, but we usually just RP it out and my maxed-out Diplomacy skill has been used once in the last year. I'd like to think of myself as the leader or the voice of reason, and have filled that role on occasion, but as a player I'm not quick-witted enough and as a character I tend to defer to others. My desire to talk keeps me from being a loner, and playing a non-CoDzilla cleric I'm not much of a thug.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-05-02, 03:01 PM
It makes sense that there aren't many loners, but come on- that few? Doesn't anyone else enjoy the freedom of outright ignoring the rest of the party? The giggles that can be had at the expense of everyone else? The love/hate relationship the other players have with your character because he's equally helpful to them and entirely self-serving?

mikeejimbo
2007-05-02, 03:05 PM
"Tagalong Surrogate Little Brother" to the party leader, whomever that may be.

Though I voted Loner.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 03:08 PM
It makes sense that there aren't many loners, but come on- that few? Doesn't anyone else enjoy the freedom of outright ignoring the rest of the party? The giggles that can be had at the expense of everyone else? The love/hate relationship the other players have with your character because he's equally helpful to them and entirely self-serving?

Sounds like the characters my wife plays.

axraelshelm
2007-05-02, 03:11 PM

boring! I grew up knowing very few loners and those are too many!
As Arch types go they dont appeal I prefer meglomanics good and bad craving power all the way either face or big gun and both in some cases.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2007-05-02, 03:14 PM
I usually play the loner, though OOC I and my friend (who I've never seen play anything but a Druid) are the only sane people at the table, so I'm also voice of reason.

Telonius
2007-05-02, 03:35 PM
Party Face, with a heavy dose of Comic Relief.

PlatinumJester
2007-05-02, 03:49 PM
Intimidating Fighter considering none my characters have ever died and generally kill first, kill later, kill some more and then when everybodies dead walk away to look for more people to kill. Good times.

By the way Ali you should have picked party leader due to the fact that me and you seem to control our party depending on the situation.

JadedDM
2007-05-02, 04:07 PM
No healer? Okay, I'll go with Voice of Reason then.

Ravyn
2007-05-02, 04:08 PM
Mine? Teambuilder, strategist and Primary Combat Evasion, with a dash of Voice of Reason when it's needed. Face as well, I suppose, since I tend to think and do about more about the group's social impact than most of the others.

...yeah, I'm a generalist. It's fun.

Dragor
2007-05-02, 04:16 PM
I used to be full on comic relief, but now I'm Leader with a tiny drop of comic relief. In practically all the quests we have done recently, my characters have been party leader.

Hamster_Ninja
2007-05-02, 04:26 PM
Leader/Voice of Reason. My party needs all the help it can get.

wowy319
2007-05-02, 04:56 PM
well, if you mean RP roles, I'd say more of the party face, somewhat the voice of reason. adventuring roles, I'm the secondary trapsmith/primary skillmonkey. I have levels in fortune's friend, so even if I set off a horrible trap o' death, I can easily survive it. yay, luck re-rolls!

Maxymiuk
2007-05-02, 04:57 PM
I used to be a loner, but then I got past puberty. :smalltongue:

Now I'm a voice of reason.

Morgan_Scott82
2007-05-02, 05:06 PM
The roles I gravitate towards tend to be leader and party face, I find it hard not to fall into that role. According to my gaming buddies Cha is my prime requisite and therefore I naturally fit those roles, this is all well and good execpt when I want to play the Low Cha half orc fighter for a change and for some reason I still find myself stepping in to the role of authority too naturally.

I guess I have difficulty playing characters too far removed from my own personality.

Sulecrist
2007-05-02, 05:26 PM
I used to be a bit of a loner, then realized gross manipulation was better and turned into a Voice/Party face. I'm generally the second-in-command, and usually I keep the leader moving, too. I'm the diplomatic one in the group.

I voted Face.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-02, 05:28 PM
depends on the game really. Hardcore RP game, pillar of support. Somewhat hardcore-crazy liablity

JohnnyPsycho
2007-05-02, 05:31 PM
My role tends to change depending on the situation... In battle, since I play a fighter I'm the Intimidating Thug, of course. In non-combat situations, my character feels pretty much out of place and tends to let the other players do their own thing, so in that regard he could be considered the Loner. Only recently have I been developing his Leadership and battle tactics skills (in Hackmaster, these would be Miliary: Battle Sense, Basic Leadership, Military: Small Unit Tactics), so he's very slowly starting to become more vocal about telling people where to go and what to do in a fight.

Orzel
2007-05-02, 05:33 PM
I usually play the role that says "Aw Hell Naw!" or "You are all crazy!".

admirableJ
2007-05-02, 07:01 PM
My roleplay needs serious help, so I'm out as far as most of that goes, but I can usually act as the voice of reason (and do it wihout metagaming). I've saved the party from doing some stupid things before, but the wizard had a nasty incident in which he tried to cast a cone spell of some sort (forget which one), while standing BEHIND the ranger. Oy. That was a tough crawl that one. :smallsigh:

Galathir
2007-05-02, 07:05 PM
I generally fall into the party leader role, although the party face and voice of reason are often included to a certain extent.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-05-02, 07:08 PM
Leader, at least I'd like to think. Depends on how the other characters are...

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 07:09 PM
Ravyn- Sounds like you dominate your table. Ever notice your friends giving you funny looks while you play every part?

the_tick_rules
2007-05-02, 08:17 PM
well our campaign was in a military setting and we somewhat arbitartialy assigned the squad sergant. even though i didn't get leader i did pretty much go leader/voice of reason since our leader was a bit over zealous on rank and fileness. he kept figthing my monk and scout breaking off to take advantage of our mobility.

DSCrankshaw
2007-05-02, 08:40 PM
I try to take a different role in every game. In one game I'm a dwarf knight taking a leadership role, in another I'm a human rogue mostly in the voice of reason/party face role (I'm the only one with a decent bluff skill), and in a third I'm a human diviner in the comic relief role (of course, in that game, every player, including the DM, is taking the comic relief role, so it's a little crowded). One of these days I'm going to try a bard, or perhaps a cleric, loner... that'll work well.

Ravyn
2007-05-02, 08:40 PM
I'll forgive you the slight this time, Juris, because we're operating in two different paradigms. But next time, if you must say something like that, can you try to sound a little less judgemental?

It's quite simple. For one thing, I'm in four different games and trying to keep my characters as different as possible--one of my characters leans more toward face, another towards teambuilding, yet another towards NPC puppetmastery--and I don't consider any one of them in particular "my" role. Besides, in my groups, everybody fills all of the roles at some point or another. (...okay, aside from the fact that I tend to dump-stat anything to do with combat because I got sick of stinking at it.) It's not so much "role" as "niche"--everyone's got the flexibility to be a skillmonkey, so we all make sure everyone has at least one interesting skill that gets used on a regular basis.

Human Paragon 3
2007-05-02, 10:07 PM
You took me a bit too seriously, I think, since tone is difficult to convey on a message board and I don't like emoticons. No slight intended.

...paradigms?

MisterSaturnine
2007-05-02, 10:11 PM
Party face.

'Cause it's fun, and I can say "I'm too pretty to die!"

SpatulaOfDoom
2007-05-02, 10:36 PM
At one point in time or another I've filled every RP archetype except possibly the loner. I've never really understood why that archetype is so popular, I blame Batman.

The role I preferr is comic relief, I have difficulty holding back the quips in my real-life games and I enjoy a good laugh.

The role I actually find my self in most often is Leader. We tend to make decisions by comitte, but often times I'll be the only one to suggest a course of action, or if multiple suggestions are offered mine seems to be picked more often than not.

Ravyn
2007-05-02, 10:45 PM
Yeah, paradigms; it's as good a term as any. You're seeing a game in which each person does one thing and does it well. I, possibly because of my tendency to play point-buys, am more used to a group in which everyone does a little of each of the traditional "roles" but has one or two specialties.

Koga
2007-05-02, 10:46 PM
Well sense "pain in the ass" is not an option The Koga will go with loner lol!

The Koga's the kindof guy that if he's a bard, he will sing Team America. Note that "buck" is not so much censorship as a play on words cause bards are just a sub category of pirate!

America...
America...
America, BUCK YEAH!
Coming again, to save the mother bucking day yeah,
America, BUCK YEAH!
Good alignment is the only way yeah,
Goblinoids your game is through...
cause now you have to answer too,
America, BUCK YEAH!
So lick my boots, and suck on poison arrows!
America, BUCK YEAH!
What you going to do when we come for you yeah!
it’s the dream that we all share; it’s the hope for tomorrow

BUCK YEAH!

Pelor, BUCK YEAH!
Sleight of Hand, BUCK YEAH!
Bluff checks, BUCK YEAH!
Fort or dies, BUCK YEAH!
Dodge bonus, BUCK, YEAH!
Exotic weapons, BUCK YEAH!
Criticals, BUCK YEAH!
Slavery, BUCK YEAH!

BUCK YEAH!

Inns, BUCK YEAH!
Alchahol, BUCK YEAH!
Commoners, BUCK YEAH!
Elves, BUCK YEAH!
Dwarves, BUCK YEAH!
Scrolls, BUCK YEAH!
Magic-weapons, BUCK YEAH!
Massive damage, BUCK YEAH!
Ponies, BUCK YEAH!
Underage npcs (Buck yeah, Buck yeah)

Poverty, BUCK YEAH!
Sidequests, BUCK YEAH!
Stereotypes, BUCK YEAH!
Band-aids, BUCK YEAH!
Hell Planes, BUCK YEAH!
Steampunk, BUCK YEAH!
Kobolds, BUCK YEAH!
Innitiative, BUCK YEAH!
Bonus feat, BUCK YEAH!
Skill Focus (Skill Focus)
(buck yeah, buck yeah)
Barbarians
Books

*Whails gutair*

Koga
2007-05-02, 10:53 PM
i haven't seen any "Loners" yet, since I know a lot of players like to play put-upon outcasts, maverics who like to work alone, go scouting by themselves, and do shady deals behind the other PCs backs.
Hahah! That's The Koga in a nutshell, guess he is a loner.

It's not that hates his comrades.

He just thinks they're stupid.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-05-02, 11:07 PM
I love playing the high CHA "wheeler and dealer" of the party. I'm the one taking "Mercantile" feats to get more $$ for selling items, the one with the Circlet of Persuasion and max ranks in social skills. It's so much more fun (for me) than the basher and crasher =_)

Although it was funny playing the Shock Trooper-ing (it's a word...now) Leap Attack-ing Raging/Frenzying Frenzied Berserker for a short time. he died quickly. Did not have enough space for Steadfast Determination. =(_

Tallis
2007-05-02, 11:08 PM
I like party face and leader roles. Though the group I play with now is a bit too chaotic to take much leadership, so I usually have to drag them into things as party face if I really want them to do something.

JackMage666
2007-05-02, 11:50 PM
Definately Leader... It just sort of happens that way.

Even when I was the least experienced player, I fell into the role of leader.

I once player a Stupid Half-Ogre with horrid mental stats all the way across - Still the leader, though. My players need to be more assertive.

JellyPooga
2007-05-03, 06:09 AM
Usually I play a Loner.

Whether its the mercenary Rogue or 'Caster who thinks he's using the party to his own means (though it's often more likely the other way around).

TRM
2007-05-03, 07:42 AM
I usually either drive the action (by doing something) or drive the action by taking on the leader role.

Chineselegolas
2007-05-03, 08:00 AM
My Str. 8 Monk would fall in the Thug. Even though he isn't very intimidating. But he does throw a good stunning fist, and with two rogues...

I think I would also be the antithesis to the voice of reason. Although I am a great trap finder. Monk saves and 20 dex...
And then there is his 18 touch AC and he wears Hammer Pants
U can't touch this.

Maybe I should get a warhammer to wield...

Aasimar
2007-05-03, 08:13 AM
I usually default to voice of reason. But I can cover being leader or party face in a pinch.

warmachine
2007-05-03, 08:16 AM
The poll is missing types in my group

Comic relief
Moaner
Secretary/accountant/cartographer
Foot soldier

I'm the voice of reason and healer. Some will contribute by taking the flak or tactical use of the big guns, one will 'contribute' by moaning when his character is in trouble.

jjpickar
2007-05-03, 09:11 AM
Party face, I haven't got a lot of chances to do this (I DM a lot and whenever I join a group there is alway someone doing it and they need something imporytant like a wizard or cleric anyway) but I love to talk, a lot. And its better when someone with diplomacy of 47 is talking to the npcs than one with a diplomacy of -3.

Incidentally, I've noticed that most party face type characters, high charisma maxed bluff and diplomacy, are played by new players who don't talk all that much or don't know all the rules (slight annoyance :smallconfused: ).

Diggorian
2007-05-03, 12:23 PM
Depends on the PC I'm playing: my paladin was Voice of Reason, my warlock was the party face, my ranger was leader, my fighter warblade is an intimidating thug. Since I prefer to tank, and look intimidating in real life, I choose that one for this pole.

Loner holds the least interest for me.

ghost_warlock
2007-05-03, 01:07 PM
I voted for "Voice of Reason," but I'm usually more of an "Optimizer." I tend to give other characters tactical suggestions as well as come up with plans to make the adventure either easier or more...unique...

"We know what the missing princess looks like. Instead of running around looking for her, why not just use Alter Self to pose as her long enough to get access to the Royal Treasury? By the time they suspect anything we'll be long gone with the loot!" :smallbiggrin:
(while playing a druid)

I tend to also offer build suggestions to my fellow players. :smallsmile:

Valairn
2007-05-03, 01:10 PM
Almost always either the voice of reason or the loner, but more often voice of reason, just the quiet kind. I don't really play "loner" characters though, I play quiet people. Its different.

Goldfish Lord
2007-05-03, 01:11 PM
Intimidating Thug, nothing like providing a charismatic party leader/face with some muscle.

LotharBot
2007-05-03, 06:16 PM
I play almost entirely support roles... the character everyone thinks isn't good at much of anything, only for some reason the party is far more effective when he's around. Carrying around random useful items, having a +9 bonus in a ton of skills (for Aid Another), just enough UMD or spellcasting to use healing wands, etc. Like a bard but without diplomacy.

PaladinBoy
2007-05-03, 06:19 PM
Leader. I'm the one that brought the party together, and I'm the only one that actually cares about what happens next.

Everyone else is content at the moment to go along for the ride, it seems.

huyneo
2007-05-03, 09:02 PM
is there such thing as the "Evil plan of doom guy"?

Dareon
2007-05-03, 09:19 PM
It changes depending on the campaign and the rest of the party.

My Warlock is the party face AND the leader, despite my not really liking being in either slot.

My Elven Artificer is... He's the weird guy in the party. He has his work cut out for him, since the rest of the party is an Ex-Paladin/Sorcerer casting in armor and a full-flavor Ninja in a campaign world with no Orient region. We didn't really coordinate our personalities when creating, so we all hit the weird slot, and wound up sub-slotting the other roles. The High-Cha-Wis-penalty Ex-Paladin has taken the face, leader, and thug roles, the Ninja, who happens to be the only one with a Wis bonus, has reluctantly become the voice of reason, and I'm taking most of the rest of the roles thanks to the Art's eclectic skillset.

My Athasian Human Fire Cleric is the intimidating thug.

jaqueses
2007-05-04, 02:55 AM
Easily the rules lawyer. Not because I want to but I am the only one that has it mostly remembered at any one time. So I guess Leader?

And we don't have a Voice of Reason. If we did we would probably all maul it like some hyena's finishing what lions leave behind. Or drive them crazy.