PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Evil Party Character Ideas

kilatok669
2015-07-20, 09:09 AM
Hey, guys. Working on making a party of evil characters just for the heck of it. I'm interested in unique characters with interesting stories and flavor. The general idea of the campaign is that there is a great holy paladin on deity-level that is attempting to rid the world of all evil, so the characters generally need to work together for their own safety to preserve evil in the world before they are all wiped out.

So far I have a Great Old One lock that is, in a nutshell, a vengeful power-lusting human female warlock who was sold into prostitution when she was young, until she murdered a strange rich client to take the money and run but got alot more than she bargained for as he transferred his magical madness to her. However, she doesn't see it as madness, but a gift to exact vengeance on any and all who would wrong her and gain as much power as possible. She is lawful evil, and often manipulates or seduces others to get them to do the dirty work for her, and intimidates those she can't use otherwise. She sees all of this as her right of power. She is also more fond of ladies. At level one she uses crossbows, her cantrips are Eldritch Blast and Friends, and her spells are Hex and Witch Bolt.

But that's as far as I've gotten for an evil party. I have a few ideas, like a half-orc battle cleric of gruumsh who fights for blood and glory or an underdark drow druid but I don't really have much inspiration. What are your guys ideas? Have you played any evil characters you've liked before?

JellyPooga
2015-07-20, 09:41 AM
One thing to bear in mind for Evil parties is that they need some reason to be working together. Going down the "monster mash" route of Orc followers of Gruumsh and Drow Lolth-ites might fill party roles, but isn't exactly a recipe for cooperation; even Evil Humans have little love for those races considered "monstrous", let alone their deities.

A Half-Elf with hatred of either their Human or Elven parentage could work. A Half-Orc could do similar...come to think of it, I kinda like that one; a Half-Orc with a blind hatred of Orcs and their kindred. It's functionally along the same sort of lines as the Battle Cleric of Gruumsh, but rather than being a staunch Orc supporter, he's more of a "genocide the Orcs and anyone sympathetic to them so they can't do what they did to me" sort of guy. Sound a bit like any other "adventurer", Evil, Good or otherwise? Sure, but that only serves to help him blend in to "normal" society...at least until he encounters another Half-Orc...

The Shadowdove
2015-07-20, 10:14 AM
Tempest cleric of the storm God talos(who is an aspect of gruumsh in reality!)

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Talos

Make them use a combination of intimidation and the thaumaturgy can trip to make it look like the ground is trembling or the sky darkening.

snowman87
2015-07-20, 10:20 AM
I actually posted a thread very similar to this awhile back. I don't know how to link it but it's called "How to play a bad guy." I got lots of very neat advice and it'll probably help you a great deal. JellyPooga is right, though. They need a reason to unite. My group is currently just working under the motivation that working together is more profitable than working alone but I plan to set us towards a greater goal before much longer. There is a network of evil-doers that don't like us and spoiled our fun so we're going to do back and burn their operation to the ground. We also play the hero adventure party from time to time to both steal from people and then get the reward from rescuing them. Our DM has us clearing out a demon-infested castle to use as our own Legion of Doom right now.

Our party consists of a Changeling (me) who takes the appearance of anyone he kills, a Goliath (who was turned into a Dwarf by a curse) who hits his way out of everything and has a gambling addiction, a Tiefling who telepathically communicates with a Pit-Fiend, and an Elf who doubles as a prostitute/pimp in her downtime (she has also used prostitutes as decoys in dangerous situations before).

Our rival group has a Warlock that uses Arms of Hadar and Hunger of Hadar regularly and anytime an enemy makes its way free she'll blast them back into them with Eldritch Blast.

JellyPooga
2015-07-20, 10:21 AM
Tempest cleric or the storm God talos(who is an aspect of gruumsh in reality!)

Ah, angry, angry Talos...everyone's "go to" stroppy storm god! It's a solid idea, I won't deny and a lot more "acceptable" in civilised places than Gruumsh.

Ralanr
2015-07-20, 11:20 AM
A half-Orc battlemaster focusing on a shield and mace. Works for the highest bidder, but he's far from dumb muscle considering he tends to lead and direct forces through special tactics and outwitting opponents who often underestimate him.

Sounds more neutral and he probably his. He has a bleak view of his future, where he'll either die on the battlefield or get stabbed in the back by an Orc if he becomes a warchief.

Was raised in a human village with a drunk father and a mute mother. He doesn't like letting his anger get the best of him as it reminds him of the first time he killed. He doesn't regret it, he's just ashamed of losing control.

He's a character I've been wanting to write about for a while. A point of view story from the second in command of the BBEG.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-20, 02:31 PM
As I see it, 5e "EVIL" is generally anti-humanoid (the 'nice' ones, anyway) civilization.

So anybody who is banished, ticked off at the lawful types, legally oppressed as a slave or an ethnic or religious minority might be considered evil. Contextually, anyways.

I've invited my players to consider an 'evil' campaign. The goal is not to save a town or make a power base, because then you just become what you hated. Or maybe that's the point all along. The goal is to right a wrong, save a way of life, bring about an unpopular view of social justice, start the revolution, etc. So now you have like minded individuals working for a cause as the string that holds the PCs and pulls the plot.

Stop the Palladin Oppresion! Help, help, I'm being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system...

ZenBear
2015-07-20, 02:41 PM
Feylock half-elf or human child whose parents were Good aligned Nature Cleric and Druid, allies of the Paladin King. In a ritual of Commune With Nature they summon the Great God Pan. Offended by the unbalanced world they are trying to create, Pan kills the parents and possesses the child. Now they quest with the party seeking to keep evil alive, but always in balance with good (opportunities to work against the party when things are going a little too well). The boy, Peter, is a carefree child too naive to know right from wrong. When the boy, his party or the balance of nature is threatened, Pan takes over.

Millface
2015-07-20, 03:02 PM
First lets look at what types of Evil actually organize and work as a team.

Thieve's Guild: You don't have to be a rogue to join one, they have thieves, enforcers, swindlers, wizards, and priests. They are out to bolster their organizations power and wealth because that, in turn, bolster's their own. The party could start lowly but work their way up together as an elite task force. Pulling crazy heists and assassinations along the way. This is my favorite scenario, and the most open to different types of characters.

Cults: These work in tangent and can have members of all classes as well, but they usually have a singular purpose. The problem with this is that once they accomplish their task they are generally finished, and evil cults almost never get what they expect from completing said task, as evil gods/monsters/outsiders typically use cultists to do something, then devour them when they are no longer useful.

Drow Houses: If everyone is a drow from the same house on a surface excursion this could work. They would have to be careful, but it's not unheard of. You could be on the surface at first as a scouting party, but eventually have more and more missions to nab artifacts and build connections for your house back home.

As far as your "They're together to preserve evil!" thing... I hope you don't mind me offering my opinion here... but that doesn't make any sense to me. Evil doesn't exist for the same reasons Good exists, evil is a product of selfishness, greed, and ambition. You don't do it for it's own sake, nor do you care if other people survive. You're evil precisely because you don't care about consequences for other people insofar as it pertains to your goals.

If you don't all work for some sort of organization, at least at first, there is nothing at all keeping an evil party together. It's going to include enough PvP as it is, what with the occasional backstabbing being perfectly valid with those alignments.

Safety Sword
2015-07-20, 09:45 PM
First lets look at what types of Evil actually organize and work as a team.

Thieve's Guild: You don't have to be a rogue to join one, they have thieves, enforcers, swindlers, wizards, and priests. They are out to bolster their organizations power and wealth because that, in turn, bolster's their own. The party could start lowly but work their way up together as an elite task force. Pulling crazy heists and assassinations along the way. This is my favorite scenario, and the most open to different types of characters.

Cults: These work in tangent and can have members of all classes as well, but they usually have a singular purpose. The problem with this is that once they accomplish their task they are generally finished, and evil cults almost never get what they expect from completing said task, as evil gods/monsters/outsiders typically use cultists to do something, then devour them when they are no longer useful.

Drow Houses: If everyone is a drow from the same house on a surface excursion this could work. They would have to be careful, but it's not unheard of. You could be on the surface at first as a scouting party, but eventually have more and more missions to nab artifacts and build connections for your house back home.

As far as your "They're together to preserve evil!" thing... I hope you don't mind me offering my opinion here... but that doesn't make any sense to me. Evil doesn't exist for the same reasons Good exists, evil is a product of selfishness, greed, and ambition. You don't do it for it's own sake, nor do you care if other people survive. You're evil precisely because you don't care about consequences for other people insofar as it pertains to your goals.

If you don't all work for some sort of organization, at least at first, there is nothing at all keeping an evil party together. It's going to include enough PvP as it is, what with the occasional backstabbing being perfectly valid with those alignments.

Evil deities would surely band powerful followers together into infiltration teams to keep an eye on the doings of good temples, assassinating do gooders and generally striking fear into the general populace. Lawful Evil deities especially would organise the hell out of (or more likely, into) this sort of stuff. Evil worshippers can be cowed into cooperation by fear of displeasing their dark mistress (or lord, but women are way scarier, agreed?).

Evil deities probably do more planning than the good ones. Corrupting the right people, cowing the others, making examples of those who go against the tenants of Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil, that sort of thing.

Malifice
2015-07-21, 12:21 AM
The best bad guys are the ones that don't think they're bad guys.

Even Hitler though he was acting for 'the greater good'. He genuinely believed he was good, and that he was saving the world.

Look to Walter White, Tony Soprano, and Dexter for some TV examples of evil protagonists with moral ambiguity, complex motivations, or reasons for why they do what they do. 'Power for Powers sake is a DnD cliche of 'evil' PC's and its overused and dull, and it reflects precisely no-one accurately.

My LE Paladin was convinced he was doing good by serving Bane and bringing ruin to the church and forces of Torm (who for personal reasons, he viewed as 'evil' and 'false'). He was persuaded that by engaging on a pogrom against other religions, bringing the realms under the heel of Bane, and unifying all people into a fascist religious fundamentalist regime, he was helping to end war, bring about a lasting world peace and unify the various warring religions and nations into a single unitary State working for the betterment of mankind. It was 'unfortunate' that he had to resort to things like genocide, but it was necessary for the betterment of mankind.

;)

Incidentally, the 'good' Paladin Deity actually sounds kinda evil himself. Genocide on ideological grounds isn't exactly 'good'.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-21, 06:17 AM
A twist on JellyPooga's Half-Orc, and my standby character/alter ego.

Vincent di Savinien. Half-orc based on a blend of my childhood hero, Cyrano de Bergerac, and a modern parallel, Shrek. Normally, I build him as the offspring of an assault upon a noble's daughter during an orc raid; said noble devotes the remains of his fortune for Vince's education in fencing, philosophy, and the like. Has a hatred for orcs, for denying him the childhood and life he could have had as a full human. Lives in a swamp on the fringe of society, since his appearance tends to cause fear and disgust.

Normally a blend of DEX-Fighter and/or Ranger; maybe a little Rogue or Bard, depending on mood and finer points of build.

Since he has a damaged psyche, it's all too easy to make him evil. Have his hatred be towards humans; striking back against those who ostracized him. Go Beast Master, with a Swarm of Rats (another build idea I had for him) and incorporate Willard; a goal of reminding society of its true inner filth. Instead of suppressing his orcish nature, he can embrace it. When he inherits his grandfather's titles and lands, he can become a tyrannical despot; a Baron von Harkonnen.

With the noble heritage, he can also be easily done up as a bigot; a classist or xenophobe.

Another idea for you is a newer character concept I've toyed with; I planned it as a CN, but far too easily done as evil. Tomelock with a Pact of the Fiend. For reasons (so many options to choose from) a character made a pact with a Devil, to gain power to infiltrate and destroy a religion's organization. Said 'lock impersonates a Light Domain cleric with the spell selection and behavior. Portrays themselves as an expert on Demonology and Devils, and an exorcist. In reality, some exorcisms were prearranged with Patron and subordinate Devils; they build the 'lock's prestige within the church. Other exorcisms serve to inhibit influence from Patron's rivals.

Eventual goal is to reach higher council grade hierarchy, and begin influencing policy. Become more and more like the Spanish Inquisition (so unexpected); spreading fear and tyranny across the land. Replicate the Borgia's corruption, all with the goal of consolidation of power into his hands.

Millface
2015-07-21, 09:11 AM
Incidentally, the 'good' Paladin Deity actually sounds kinda evil himself. Genocide on ideological grounds isn't exactly 'good'.

For sure! I think the stereotypical Paladin is often times more evil than good. They see the world in black and white, no shades of grey. No patience, close-minded, quick to dole out "justice" in the form of a lethal stabbing. Following the tenants of their faith without ever questioning if each action is actually doing more harm than good.

Some of the worst disasters in our history have been manufactured by religious folks serving a god who teaches good lessons about love and forgiveness. It's so, so easy for a religious sect to become corrupt, and when it does the Paladin's continue following orders, never realizing what harm they're doing to the greater good.

On your other point, that's why I don't like the "Evil for Evil's Sake" storyline idea. Except in very rare cases you don't actually think you're evil. You do what is necessary and others may view you as such, but they're just ignorant to how things really work.

Hawkstar
2015-07-21, 09:13 AM
The best bad guys are the ones that don't think they're bad guys.

Even Hitler though he was acting for 'the greater good'. He genuinely believed he was good, and that he was saving the world.

But that's the least fun type to play. Over-the-top EVIL characters get all the best lines.

Millface
2015-07-21, 09:25 AM
But that's the least fun type to play. Over-the-top EVIL characters get all the best lines.

Can you imagine an entire party of those? The first 5 rounds of each combat will just be each player giving their EVIL speeches, lol.

This is partly why Evil Bards crack me up. They give the stereotypical evil speeches and one-liners, but they actually do it well.

Hawkstar
2015-07-21, 09:29 AM
Can you imagine an entire party of those? The first 5 rounds of each combat will just be each player giving their EVIL speeches, lol.
Absolutely glorious!

The biggest problem is getting a good enough supply of puppies, kittens, and babies to crush underfoot when moving. And bards make awesome villains, due to their emphasis on debuff spells.

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-21, 09:30 AM
. 'Power for Powers sake is a DnD cliche of 'evil' PC's and its overused and dull, and it reflects precisely no-one accurately.

Not precisely no-one. Just very few people of any import. Numerous tribal warlords/gang leaders don't believe they are doing good to the people they subjugate/steal from. They believe it is their right because they are strong and their opponents are weak. Whilst they don't see themselves as evil, they believe they are neutral and everyone else would do the same in their position.

Millface
2015-07-21, 09:53 AM
Not precisely no-one. Just very few people of any import. Numerous tribal warlords/gang leaders don't believe they are doing good to the people they subjugate/steal from. They believe it is their right because they are strong and their opponents are weak. Whilst they don't see themselves as evil, they believe they are neutral and everyone else would do the same in their position.

The problem is that Power attracts attention. A BBEG who wants to conquer and nothing more is just assuring his own early death. Conquerors never last, there's always a bigger fish, and once you have the power you just become a target. Especially in D&D when there's always a high level adventuring party out to get you.

In the D&D setting trying to be a conqueror is blatant suicide. This is why Malifice and I are suggesting some alternate, deeper goal for an evil adventuring party. Being evil and viable is hard, you have to watch your back for good people AND evil people.

Darth Sidious comes to mind here. THAT was an evil scheme, he didn't conquer, he manufactured a plot in which he would be freely given his power. Had he not overextended and become arrogant to the point of weakness he would have kept it, too.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-21, 09:58 AM
Xaltix the Dying.
Gnomish Necromancer

Xaltix was born to the Klositar family, a cabal of gnomish necromancers, warlocks, and sorcerers devoted to the exploration of the limits of magic in all its forms. They sought to redefine the nature of existence itself, for themselves and all other creatures on the material plane, and cared little about who might get hurt in the process. After all, it's all in the name of progress. However, in the course of their experimentation upon a cleric of Tyr, specifically their attempts to figure out how to circumvent the normal process of the soul moving to the afterlife upon death, they managed to affront the gods themselves. For their crimes, they were stricken with a horrible, wasting disease.

Xaltix is one of very few who yet survive, and he does so only barely. He has completely lost the use of his limbs and cannot speak. He must have Remove Curse and Lesser Restoration cast on him once per year, merely to stave off the worsening of the disease, or else he shall perish. The disease can only be cured through the power of a Wish spell or equivalent magic. Yet he has managed to develop variants of two spells in particular which allow him to still function, to an extent. Some say they were gifts from Talona, as an act of petty revenge against Tyr for some petty grievance or another. Others say the Patron of the warlocks granted them so that through Xaltix he or she might gain revenge against Tyr. Still others say that as with many Gnomish things, raw necessity was the mother of invention. Regardless, Xaltix has learned to cast the spell Minor Illusion, and the Ritual Unseen Servant, with no components whatsoever.

Using Minor Illusion (refreshed every minute at the cost of an action), he generates the sounds through which he communicates, and through which he creates the verbal components of his spellcasting. By ordering around his Unseen Servant (refreshed every hour, consumes his bonus action every turn to give it orders), he has it carry him from place to place, and has it puppeteer his body so as to provide the Somatic components of his spells. His useless claw of a hand is taped shut around his Arcane Focus. He strives to eventually command a retinue of undead, that they might more effectively serve him and carry him around, and hopes to one day cast off this useless shell and attain lichdom. Meanwhile, in his eyes burns a malignant resentment of all that is healthy and whole. He is a cursed, half dead being who would love nothing more than to drag all those around him down to the same level of misery that is his existence.

Millface
2015-07-21, 10:02 AM
Xaltix the Dying.
Gnomish Necromancer

Xaltix was born to the Klositar family, a cabal of gnomish necromancers, warlocks, and sorcerers devoted to the exploration of the limits of magic in all its forms. They sought to redefine the nature of existence itself, for themselves and all other creatures on the material plane, and cared little about who might get hurt in the process. After all, it's all in the name of progress. However, in the course of their experimentation upon a cleric of Tyr, specifically their attempts to figure out how to circumvent the normal process of the soul moving to the afterlife upon death, they managed to affront the gods themselves. For their crimes, they were stricken with a horrible, wasting disease.

Xaltix is one of very few who yet survive, and he does so only barely. He has completely lost the use of his limbs and cannot speak. He must have Remove Curse and Lesser Restoration cast on him once per year, merely to stave off the worsening of the disease, or else he shall perish. The disease can only be cured through the power of a Wish spell or equivalent magic. Yet he has managed to develop variants of two spells in particular which allow him to still function, to an extent. Some say they were gifts from Talona, as an act of petty revenge against Tyr for some petty grievance or another. Others say the Patron of the warlocks granted them so that through Xaltix he or she might gain revenge against Tyr. Still others say that as with many Gnomish things, raw necessity was the mother of invention. Regardless, Xaltix has learned to cast the spell Minor Illusion, and the Ritual Unseen Servant, with no components whatsoever.

Using Minor Illusion (refreshed every minute at the cost of an action), he generates the sounds through which he communicates, and through which he creates the verbal components of his spellcasting. By ordering around his Unseen Servant (refreshed every hour, consumes his bonus action every turn to give it orders), he has it carry him from place to place, and has it puppeteer his body so as to provide the Somatic components of his spells. His useless claw of a hand is taped shut around his Arcane Focus. He strives to eventually command a retinue of undead, that they might more effectively serve him and carry him around, and hopes to one day cast off this useless shell and attain lichdom. Meanwhile, in his eyes burns a malignant resentment of all that is healthy and whole. He is a cursed, half dead being who would love nothing more than to drag all those around him down to the same level of misery that is his existence.

This makes me very, very afraid of a Stephen Hawking who has magic.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-21, 10:05 AM
Sure. Guy started out as a Paladin of Vengeance and got a little carried away and kept expanding the list of people he needed to be avenged upon, until now it's pretty close to "human society". Somewhere along the line he crossed over to Blackguard and never looked back. To play against type, he's a halfling.

Hawkstar
2015-07-21, 10:10 AM
The problem is that Power attracts attention. A BBEG who wants to conquer and nothing more is just assuring his own early death. Conquerors never last, there's always a bigger fish, and once you have the power you just become a target. Especially in D&D when there's always a high level adventuring party out to get you.More XP! Once you eat the bigger fish, you become the bigger fish!

In the D&D setting trying to be a conqueror is blatant suicide. This is why Malifice and I are suggesting some alternate, deeper goal for an evil adventuring party. Being evil and viable is hard, you have to watch your back for good people AND evil people. It may be suicide, but it's a glorious and memorable way to go. And, double the enemies, double the XP!

Darth Sidious comes to mind here. THAT was an evil scheme, he didn't conquer, he manufactured a plot in which he would be freely given his power. Had he not overextended and become arrogant to the point of weakness he would have kept it, too.
But what did he actually manage to do? Anakin was the one who was having all the fun.

Millface
2015-07-21, 10:20 AM
But what did he actually manage to do? Anakin was the one who was having all the fun.

You'd have to go into books, beyond movies to see what it was he was doing. He essentially became the most powerful Sith who ever did or ever will live. His death, in all honesty, was total BS.

Having said that, I'm really starting to love the way you think. XP is God.

Most of my evil character ideas are built around surviving in a non-evil party. I'm having trouble coming up with something for a group of bad guys. Seems to take the individuality out of it when everyone is evil. You have to be working toward the same end game or else everyone's goal will just be "Use the party to get from A to B then kill the party off one by one until only I remain in power."

PvP Fest.

Hawkstar
2015-07-21, 11:00 AM
You'd have to go into books, beyond movies to see what it was he was doing. He essentially became the most powerful Sith who ever did or ever will live. His death, in all honesty, was total BS.

Having said that, I'm really starting to love the way you think. XP is God.

Most of my evil character ideas are built around surviving in a non-evil party. I'm having trouble coming up with something for a group of bad guys. Seems to take the individuality out of it when everyone is evil. You have to be working toward the same end game or else everyone's goal will just be "Use the party to get from A to B then kill the party off one by one until only I remain in power."

PvP Fest.

Or be brothers in wicked arms. "Come, my brothers! There is bloodshed to be had! Together, we can tromp even MORE orphans!"

On that note:

Soulblight the Destroyer, Tromper of Kittens, Kicker of Puppies, torcher of Orphans, Wearer of The Black Armor of Menacing Spikes
Black (or Red)Dragonborn Bard (Valor, of course!). Strength-based - in fact, dump DEX, and grab Heavily Armored at level 4.
No object in his path is safe from his tromping and stomping! An all around jovial chap, with a love for bloodshed, violence, and mayhem. He has little thought for those who are not him and do not choose to join him in his rampages... and when confronted by any authority more powerful than him, he draws upon his magic (Particularly Suggestion, if Friends won't cut it) to make them go away long enough for him to locate his rampage to another vicinity. Despite his love of destruction, he does highly value friendship - especially if his friends have as sick a sense of humor as himself. He's prone to giving himself long, ridiculous titles to cement his EVIL reputation... and he will adamantly refuse and shut down any complaints about him being impractical... and laughs at and embraces accusations of being unbelievable! He also has plans to take over the world. Given his loyalty and honesty (For a complete psychopath), he actually does end up with a number of followers who'd rather not die for the entertainment of this outrageous character.
(Mechanically, he has great strength, terrible Dexterity, good constitution, average INT, some sort of WIS, and excellent CHA. The end I had was 15, 8, 14, 10, 12, 16. He has Friends and either Presdigitation or Minor Illusion as Cantrips, and Heroism, Bane("Inflict Comical Incompetence"), Longstrider (For dramatic exits), and Healing Word as First level spells, and Suggestion as a level 2 spell. He is trained in Athletics, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Intimidation, and Performance, and expertise in Athletics and Acrobatics. How the hell someone who can hardly walk in a straight line can run up walls is yet another baffling never answered, but it helps him make his getaways when things go south.)

kilatok669
2015-07-25, 08:08 AM
Thanks so much for the ideas, guys! I had no idea I would get so many responses. I appreciate all your comments. I agree that the characters need to have a stronger reason to fight together, so I really like the idea of a deity or greater force banding these characters to fight good for survival. I'll have to look into Throm for the half-orc. I also like the idea of some of the characters not necessarily considering themselves evil; it seems like it would help to reduce the cheese. Maybe one of them could be a druid looking to restore balance.

kilatok669
2015-07-27, 08:15 AM
What kind of ideas do you guys have for an evil ranger?

Hawkstar
2015-07-27, 08:24 AM
One that treats human(oids) as just another prey, obviously. He may not even be cruel - just remorseless. Orphan? Ded. Baby? Ded. Mother? Don't care - ded.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-27, 08:37 AM
A ranger that views humanoid life as a form of aberration; everything above the level of beasts, plants, and oozes ought not be here.

Ralanr
2015-07-27, 08:39 AM

Depends on what he or she hunts and why they do it.

Focuses too much into the ranger, but if the class is important to the character then that's what you get.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-27, 09:39 AM

The first one I shared in my previous post; Vincent. Usually done as a Ranger, a Fighter/Ranger, and can possibly be done as Rogue or Bard. Loads of reasons for him to go Evil; being the mixed race offspring of an assault and the scion of a ruined/bankrupt noble house provides plenty of motivation; either is used for film/novel villains all the time. The standard -/G version of the character is built around personal acceptance, or proving himself worthy of the family name, or forging/finding his own niche in society. Take away that motivation, and there's a slew of -/E pathways the character can take in life.

KnightOfV
2015-07-28, 04:48 AM
Evil Ranger- Someone with no attachment to society, who believes only in survival of the fittest. "The strong live, and the weak die." Finds animals better company than people, loner type, thinks people that aren't as ruthless as him only weaken the group.

Not really power-hungry, greedy, fanatical, or any of the other things that usually make one Evil. Only motive is Survival- but what makes him evil is he will do ANYTHING to survive and has no problems ditching companions the moment they aren't useful. But, he is a team player if everyone is useful and contributes to keeping him alive.

Think Bishop from NWN2 pretty much.

Or Darryl from The Walking Dead in early seasons.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-28, 10:03 AM
The easiest mindset to get into when making any evil character, is to think in extremes and absolutes. Star Wars oversimplifies this point, but you see it as a theme in many religions and philosophies for a reason (Qabalah and Buddhism spring immediately to mind). The ideal is a balance; being strong-willed, without being tyrannical; being calm without being placid or timid; finding a harmonious balance, seeking the "Middle Path". Making any viewpoint a black or white, all or nothing absolute instead of understanding nuance and shades of grey.

A nature-themed character: instead of just preferring life in the wild, seeking to eradicate society as a concept; forcing (another element of evil; forcing your worldview upon others) civilization to reduce itself to small, less impactful hamlets. No cities over a certain size. Or maybe they decide to only eat sapient species since they see animals as being defenseless.

A religious character; going beyond being devout to zealotry.

A martial character: disdain, bullying behavior towards anyone weaker; "might makes right".

Another theme I touched on in my previous post; the effects of trauma. Everyone in their life goes through some form of hardship, physical or mental. Growth is about surviving trauma, and letting scar tissue heal. If a character instead makes their behavior revolve around that trauma, without finding acceptance and inner peace, it's all too easy to become evil.

Ralanr
2015-07-28, 10:08 AM
The easiest mindset to get into when making any evil character, is to think in extremes and absolutes. Star Wars oversimplifies this point, but you see it as a theme in many religions and philosophies for a reason (Qabalah and Buddhism spring immediately to mind). The ideal is a balance; being strong-willed, without being tyrannical; being calm without being placid or timid; finding a harmonious balance, seeking the "Middle Path". Making any viewpoint a black or white, all or nothing absolute instead of understanding nuance and shades of grey.

A nature-themed character: instead of just preferring life in the wild, seeking to eradicate society as a concept; forcing (another element of evil; forcing your worldview upon others) civilization to reduce itself to small, less impactful hamlets. No cities over a certain size. Or maybe they decide to only eat sapient species since they see animals as being defenseless.

A religious character; going beyond being devout to zealotry.

A martial character: disdain, bullying behavior towards anyone weaker; "might makes right".

Another theme I touched on in my previous post; the effects of trauma. Everyone in their life goes through some form of hardship, physical or mental. Growth is about surviving trauma, and letting scar tissue heal. If a character instead makes their behavior revolve around that trauma, without finding acceptance and inner peace, it's all too easy to become evil.

Hence pride in ones own sense of importance (and I mean a lot of pride, above normal amounts) in themselves or their beliefs is a common trait for a villain?

Humble villains are...are they a thing?

ZenBear
2015-07-28, 11:06 AM

The High Sparrow from A Song of Ice and Fire. No personal aspirations for wealth or power, just a zealotry that permits violence and cruelty.

Ralanr
2015-07-28, 11:12 AM
The High Sparrow from A Song of Ice and Fire. No personal aspirations for wealth or power, just a zealotry that permits violence and cruelty.

Isn't zealotry a form of pride? Unquestioning the belief no matter what it makes you do for its cause.

Edit: unfamiliar with the fire and ice setting (I don't watch the show or read the books. Yes I'm uncultured).

ghost_warlock
2015-07-28, 01:03 PM
I'm using this for the background for my Old One warlock for a game starting this Sunday. I decided on Neutral alignment, but really considered Neutral Evil.

For much of his life, Julian led a humble and mundane life as a simple scribe and historian. His days were spent puttering among the stacks in an unremarkable library in a small city along a seldom-traveled road.

Then, one day, a stranger came to town and, with him, brought an ancient book the likes of which Julian had never seen before. It meant nothing to Julian to barter away the majority of his life's savings to add the tome to his collection.

Bound in a strange, slippery substance only vaguely similar to leather, and penned in a language that could barely be considered Common, the book told of an advanced civilization of inhuman beings pre-dating accepted notions of creation.

Julian spent his days pouring over the book, puzzling out the crisp, yet near-indecipherable, script in a feverish yearning to understand these alien and wonderful beings and the fantastic society they had build before the understood dawn of time who constructed entire cities devoted to serving as one massive library.

Then, one day, Julian finally pieced together a passage in the book that he had several times been forced to give up on and move past. The dense paragraph told of a complicated ritual that could be used to transport one's mind back in time through the nether to experience the glory of the elder things' civilization first-hand.

With calm, yet mad, certainty, Julian locked the doors to his library for the final time that night, went home for a fitful night of sleep, and departed town in the morning to seek the components and isolation needed to complete the ritual.

Almost a year later, Julian had finally acquired all of the necessary components - some by less than legal means - and found the perfect spot to cast the ritual undisturbed.

By the dim light of the new moon, Julian used the ritual to cast his mind back through the shadows of time to view the amazing society of the Yithians first-hand.

But time is a two-way street, and the ritual left a void where Julian had vacated. Perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of Julian's story is what came forward in time to wear his skin.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-28, 01:12 PM
Another evil ranger: someone who believes themselves to be a species as far above humanoids as humanoids are above cattle. That's a mind flayer mind set, but what you have is a normal human / elf / dwarf / gnome / halfling / dragonborn / tiefling / half-elf / half-orc that has somehow become convinced of their own specialness.

Popzspa
2015-08-04, 02:30 PM
Three words: tiefling, fiddler, bard.

Daishain
2015-08-04, 02:48 PM
Sure they are. Now, they aren't very common in mainstream media, but they're out there.

-The almost stereotypical evil vizier who is content to remain the power behind the throne and doesn't make the foolish mistake of wanting the recognition of the throne as well (seriously, its the humble ones that stay successful)
-The person who believes that his evil actions are the only way to serve the greater good
-The person who commits acts of great evil, not for his own sake, but because he serves another

ZenBear
2015-08-04, 03:36 PM
Isn't zealotry a form of pride? Unquestioning the belief no matter what it makes you do for its cause.

Edit: unfamiliar with the fire and ice setting (I don't watch the show or read the books. Yes I'm uncultured).

If that belief is in yourself, then it's pride.

From my Webster app:
: a feeling that you respect yourself and deserve to be respected by other people
: a feeling that you are more important or better than other people
: a feeling of happiness that you get when you or someone you know does something good, difficult, etc.

The High Sparrow is only called such by his followers, not himself. He wears rags and no shoes, which he gave away. He spends his days feeding the hungry and caring for the sick. When his status is raised by a conniving noble woman to an equivalent of Pope, he uses his status to enforce religious law. His zealotry and that of his followers isn't strictly evil, but it is extreme and vicious. He is widely considered a villain.

KorvinStarmast
2015-08-04, 04:34 PM
@ghost warlock.
Love the way you put that together. Nice back story.

==

Evil Ranger ~ Vigilante and Bounty Hunter

The model is a riff on Clint Eastwood's Man with no Name (fistful of dollars, a few dollars more, good/bad/ugly) but with

a. no desire to help anyone

b. a with a score to settle with a whole bunch of people, including anyone who gets in his way

Preferred weapon is a bow.

@ZenBear: some folks may consider the High Sparrow evil, but plenty of his followers consider him righteous and an inspired leader.

Where ya sit determines what ya see.

ZenBear
2015-08-04, 04:39 PM
@ZenBear: some folks may consider the High Sparrow evil, but plenty of his followers consider him righteous and an inspired leader.

Where ya sit determines what ya see.

Thank you Captain Obvious

Vercingex
2015-08-04, 05:25 PM
For me, the trick with evil characters is to make sure they play nice with the party. Personal friendship and trust is probably best, although shared threats or goals work in a pinch.

Here;s an idea- a diviner wizard who is a student or teacher of a small magical school or academy. He was apprenticed to the school at an early age, and is very close to the people who teach and study there. Several nobles have attempted to take over the school for various reasons, but the wizard uses blackmail, and occasional murder, to protect the tight-knit school community. Any threat to the school or it's members would be cause for him to adventure. His only motivation is to protect his surrogate family, no matter the cost to anybody else.

2015-08-04, 05:31 PM
Kinda obvious build: Cleric of the Death domain. You can make it interesting by MCing to Warlock (either fiend or a homebrew Death patron), and having your backstory be a cleric devoted to death who died, and was returned to life by Death itself to serve as Death's champion. I'm doing this as a straight Warlock build in a high-level game elsewhere; straight Bladelock with a Greataxe. It's gonna be awesome!

Ogre Mage
2015-08-04, 07:52 PM

An idea I had for an evil character is a warlock with the urchin background. She grew up under the most squalid urban conditions imaginable and was subject to terrible physical violence, filth and disease. She had to fight for every scrap of bread. So she sold her soul to Mammon to gain the wealth and luxurious comfort she had always been denied. Now she is convinced it is a dog-eat-dog world and the only way to stay on top is to take what she wants and brutally oppress others. And she intends to stay on top.