PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Wizard wielding quarterstaff

Spike440
2015-07-20, 01:12 PM
My party's wizard has just acquired the Glass Staff (Staff of Defense) and wants to wield it as a weapon. A cursory google search indicates this is a matter of some controversy.

Am I correct in saying that he may wield it as a weapon with +1 to hit (proficiency bonus for quarterstaffs +2 and strength -1) and that on a hit it does 1d6-1 for one-handed or 1d8-1 for two-handed?

MadGrady
2015-07-20, 01:20 PM
I am AFB at the moment, but I believe that the rules outlined for Staves in the DMG do state that most (if not all) can be wielded as quarterstaffs. Some staves even provide additional hit/damage bonuses when wielded as such.

My gut is telling me that unless the entry says it can't be used as a quarterstaff, then you should be fine.

If so, then the numbers you list as your example are correct.

coredump
2015-07-20, 01:32 PM
The real question is why he wants to use it as a weapon, with only an 8 Str.... That is what cantrips are for...

Spike440
2015-07-20, 01:40 PM
The real question is why he wants to use it as a weapon, with only an 8 Str.... That is what cantrips are for...

Totally agree. It's a new group and I think he wishes he had rolled up a fighter.

Spike440
2015-07-20, 01:50 PM
Just checked the DMG (p. 140) and yes, it says that staves may be wielded as quarterstaves unless stated in the description. I'm tempted to teach him a lesson by having it shatter on a melee attack. No more free mage armor then.
:smallamused:

SharkForce
2015-07-20, 04:18 PM
you can just teach him a lesson by having the person he attacks use a cantrip that does more damage because it isn't dealing a maximum of 1d8-1 damage and hitting far more often. it's enchanted glass, i'd assume it works fine, but he really is clearly not cut out to be a weapon-user.

Paeleus
2015-07-20, 05:08 PM
I remember picking the Staff of Defense up. But, as my DM told me, it is made of glass and can be broken pretty easily. Not the best use for it imo.

Knaight
2015-07-20, 06:32 PM
Just checked the DMG (p. 140) and yes, it says that staves may be wielded as quarterstaves unless stated in the description. I'm tempted to teach him a lesson by having it shatter on a melee attack. No more free mage armor then.

I generally find that if your motivation for doing something is to teach someone a lesson* it's better not to do it. This is particularly true in the context of playing games with friends.

*Provided that it isn't a literal case of teaching or tutoring someone.

MadBear
2015-07-20, 06:54 PM
I generally find that if your motivation for doing something is to teach someone a lesson* it's better not to do it. This is particularly true in the context of playing games with friends.

*Provided that it isn't a literal case of teaching or tutoring someone.

^ what he said. All you're likely to do is cause hurt feelings and resentment for no reason.

JNAProductions
2015-07-20, 07:00 PM

It's magic glass. It won't shatter without some serious effort-a raging barbarian probably would, a scrawny wizard cannot.

More than that, "teaching him a lesson", as was said twice already, is a bad and just kinda mean idea.

Spike440
2015-07-21, 04:38 PM
Yeah I'm not actually that vindictive. Thanks for the help.

Glarnog
2015-07-21, 11:04 PM
"STAFF OF DEFENSE
This slender, hollow staff is made of glass yet is as strong
as oak. It weighs 3 pounds. You must be attuned to the
staff to gain its benefits and cast its spells.
While holding the staff, you have a +1 bonus to
your Armor Class.
The staff has 10 charges, which are used to fuel the
spells within it. With the staff in hand, you can use your
action to cast one of the following spells from the staff if
the spell is on your class's spell list: tnege armor (1 charge)
or shield (2 charges). No components are required.
The staff regains Id6 + 4 expended charges each day at
dawn. If you expend the staff's last charge, roll a d20. On a
1, the staff shatters and is destroyed."

So from my reading it should be as tough as any wooden staff. It doesn't confer a +1 to hit or damage. However It could easily count as magical for resistances.

VoxRationis
2015-07-22, 02:04 AM

I feel like he'll learn his lesson by noticing that he's doing less damage and getting hit more often by trying to mix it up in melee. There's a guy in my group who sometimes gets bizarre ideas in his head like this. He usually gets the idea after he underperforms for a while and gets scoffed at by the rest of us.

JellyPooga
2015-07-22, 07:11 AM
Totally agree. It's a new group and I think he wishes he had rolled up a fighter.

I had a fellow player like that; rolled up a Lvl.2 Warlock with Str 8, Dex 14, Cha 16 and Agonizing Blast. He complained throughout the game that he was useless in combat because the only weapon he had was a dagger doing a paltry 1d4+2 damage. He asked if he would be better off with a staff because it does 1d8 damage and almost rage-quit when I said he'd be doing less average damage, not to mention the to-hit ratios, with the Q.staff than the dagger!

Then again, this is the same guy who, when playing a Wizard in a PF game, complained that he had "no magic, except for his spells" when we came up against some wraiths and were asking around the table about who had anything that might actually hurt them...

Slipperychicken
2015-07-22, 10:05 AM
a dagger doing a paltry 1d4+2 damage. He asked if he would be better off with a staff because it does 1d8 damage and almost rage-quit when I said he'd be doing less average damage, not to mention the to-hit ratios, with the Q.staff than the dagger!

Actually, 1d4+2 averages 4.5, which is the same as 1d8. The quarterstaff does a little more on a crit (extra d8 instead of extra d4), so it would be a small improvement in average damage if tohit was the same. Still, I would have reminded him that his eldritch blast is better than both those weapons, doing 1d10+3 with a +5 to hit.

My group also suffers from players who don't realize how good their spells are. It's painful to watch. I've started passing notes to remind them that they don't have to use a crossbow anymore.

coredump
2015-07-22, 11:09 AM
Actually, 1d4+2 averages 4.5, .

Check again... he has Str8, so D8-1 is a 3.5 average.

Spojaz
2015-07-22, 11:24 AM
Wizard melee is not optimal until your party finds the gauntlets of ogre power. Watch in horror as that strength 8 becomes 19! Thrill as the wizard takes a few levels of fighter! Boggle as the spellcaster forsakes his arcane destiny to follow the real magic of PUNCHES!