PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Raptoran archer with footbow

Gabrosin
2015-07-20, 02:33 PM
One of the players in an upcoming campaign is excited by the idea of playing a Raptoran archer and using a footbow. Problem is, we're starting from level 1, so it's going to be a while before this character even gains limited flying ability at 5 HD; early on she'll only be able to glide. Can anyone suggest a way to ensure that the footbow is usable in early level situations?

If she moves and makes a decent jump check, can she draw and fire a footbow in the same round as a standard action? What if she attached a Crystal of Least Return to give the footbow Quick Draw?

Are there any low-cost ways for her character to hover, or hang from a wall/ceiling with one hand and use the bow with the other?

Basically anything that can be acquired for minimal resources to help make her dream a reality sooner would be appreciated. She plans to be a Factotum, if that helps.

Thanks!

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-20, 02:37 PM
Just let her fly.

Hand out free fighter bonus feats or a spell known to the rest of the pcs for balance, if necessary.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-07-20, 02:38 PM
The Updraft spell from Spell Compendium. Swift Action gain 50+CL feet height and descend by 5 ft per turn if I remember correctly. On the Cleric list and I think Druid at level 1. Grab a wand as a Cleric of one of the Raptoran Diety, and enjoy Footbowing the second he can afford 750 gp.

Flickerdart
2015-07-20, 02:54 PM
Can't you explicitly fire a footbow while lying on your back?

torrasque666
2015-07-20, 02:57 PM
gets a -4 penalty though.

Gabrosin
2015-07-20, 03:00 PM
Just let her fly.

Hand out free fighter bonus feats or a spell known to the rest of the pcs for balance, if necessary.

I'm not the DM, just a fellow party member. It's possible the DM will go for this exact solution; this will be a low optimization character and letting flying kick in a little early won't cause any problems that I can imagine, especially since she'll only be able to fly for about two consecutive rounds and only a few total minutes each day.

The Updraft spell from Spell Compendium. Swift Action gain 50+CL feet height and descend by 5 ft per turn if I remember correctly. On the Cleric list and I think Druid at level 1. Grab a wand as a Cleric of one of the Raptoran Diety, and enjoy Footbowing the second he can afford 750 gp.

Ooh, that's the sort of thing that might work. The spell description says just 10' per CL, but even that might be enough to start gliding, especially if it's done after a solid jump check. She's not going to be doing much else with her swift actions.

I thought there was a -4 penalty for that? Also, it's about the visual as much as it is the mechanics.

Darrin
2015-07-20, 03:34 PM
Animal Devotion (Complete Champion) can give you 10 rounds of flight at level 1. More if you're a cleric with turn undead.

Troacctid
2015-07-20, 04:01 PM
Warlocks get Spider Climb at will as an invocation at level 1.

You could jump into a glide using that +10 racial bonus of yours. Maybe throw in a casting of Expeditious Retreat or Swift Expeditious Retreat for another +12. Remember, it's possible to draw a weapon as part of normal movement, so you can draw the footbow during your jump.

Gabrosin
2015-07-20, 04:06 PM
Warlocks get Spider Climb at will as an invocation at level 1.

You could jump into a glide using that +10 racial bonus of yours. Maybe throw in a casting of Expeditious Retreat or Swift Expeditious Retreat for another +12. Remember, it's possible to draw a weapon as part of normal movement, so you can draw the footbow during your jump.

So, a typical sequence could be:
Round 1, move 20' and jump at ~+16 (+10 racial, +4 ranks, +2 Str... maybe +2 more for a mwk tool). Assuming an average roll, that's going to wind up being 7-8' off the ground. Draw the footbow as part of the movement and fire with a standard action. Declare intent to glide... character doesn't fall?
Round 2, glide 20' forward and descend 5', take another shot with the bow, land. Prepare to repeat the next turn.