PDA

View Full Version : Do dragons poop?

The Shadowdove
2015-07-20, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

I was reading through the dragons bit on the MM and came across gold dragon.

It seems like every edition I eventually drag my legs through the long as heck dragon section...

WELL, Gold dragons are Devourers of wealth. Meaning that they enjoy a snack of mineral-type deliciousness from time to time. They don't need them to sustain themselves, I figure, but they do like eating things such as gemstones and coins.

Does this mean the things that they eat are simply.. gone, destroyed by their digestive system; Or do these priceless munchies turn into some form of steamy dragon fertilizer spotted in melted metals and colorful gems?

Thanks in advance! Not a super game-changing question... but the answer could lead to many interesting in-character discoveries or plot devices.

-Dove

Wartex1
2015-07-20, 04:17 PM
I'd say that the gold is stored in a secondary gizzard beneath the stomach. The gold stays there instead of being digested while food goes through the stomach. The gold (and gemstones and such) also provide a protective layer for the underbelly of the dragon.

j_spencer93
2015-07-20, 04:28 PM
Ya, use ^ his answer. That is awesome.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-20, 04:35 PM
Gold dragons poop lead.

Reverse alchemy!

j_spencer93
2015-07-20, 04:37 PM
Thats awesome too in a parody kind of way.

Flickerdart
2015-07-20, 04:40 PM
Gold dragons poop lead.

Reverse alchemy!
This makes sense in a perverse way - the dragons power their stupid metabolism by "digesting" normally-stable gold into its unstable isotopes (say, Au-198), which then produce radiation that the dragon can draw energy from. Eventually, this gold will dwindle to nothing (or decay into another element, why not lead?) and the dragon will need to eat more.

j_spencer93
2015-07-20, 04:43 PM
Well that would be a great way to explain it in a non magical campaign. In a magical campaign I wouldn't worry about such. I still they store it in a second gizzard as the first poster said. However, I think i now know how to explain dragons in my futuristic campaigns.

theMycon
2015-07-20, 05:01 PM
Yeah. Dragons poop diamonds.

Damn kids don't know your classics.

MrStabby
2015-07-20, 05:14 PM
Where do you think their gold colour comes from?

KillianHawkeye
2015-07-20, 05:17 PM
Yeah. Dragons poop diamonds.

Damn kids don't know your classics.

This brings back memories, LOL! :smallamused:

Daishain
2015-07-20, 05:21 PM
Using the metals to grow their golden scales seems to be the obvious answer. There probably wouldn't be much waste from this.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-20, 05:27 PM
This brings back memories, LOL! :smallamused:

Ancient wizard share your wisdom!!

Where does this reference come from?!?

1Forge
2015-07-20, 05:28 PM
I'd rule after a while it does come out in the form of a useless chunck of metal in blacksmithing we call slag (metal that has been heat hardened, and has bonded with other useless things at the bottoms of forges), but before it comes out I'd say the dragon could regurgitate it while molton.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-20, 05:37 PM
We are told that dragons have extremely efficient metabolisms and can survive on almost anything, including rocks. I'd say that the amount of poop would be quite small and composed mainly of the elements not used in draconic tissues.

Heavy metals, mostly.

Daishain
2015-07-20, 05:58 PM
We are told that dragons have extremely efficient metabolisms and can survive on almost anything, including rocks. I'd say that the amount of poop would be quite small and composed mainly of the elements not used in draconic tissues.

Heavy metals, mostly.
Huh, sounds like alchemists have yet another reason to hang around dragon caves. Can't get enough of that quicksilver or arsenic!

Coidzor
2015-07-20, 07:54 PM
They all have Mr. Fusions in their tummies. So they only extrude waste that's too heavy for them to fuse. Which I feel is going to vary from dragon type to dragon type based upon the draconic hierarchies within the chromatics and metallics.

Elbeyon
2015-07-20, 08:07 PM
What goes in must come out. Dragons "poop" air out of their skin.

Xetheral
2015-07-21, 02:44 AM
Wasn't there a mention in a previous edition that dragons have *perfect* metabolism? That they have no waste products at all, either converting what they eat directly to energy or incorporating it into their bodies? I was definitely under the impression that was D&D canon, but for the life of me can't remember the source.

Mr.Moron
2015-07-21, 03:31 AM
Obviously. Where exactly do you think Gnomes come from?

Malifice
2015-07-21, 04:17 AM
Hey guys,

I was reading through the dragons bit on the MM and came across gold dragon.

It seems like every edition I eventually drag my legs through the long as heck dragon section...

WELL, Gold dragons are Devourers of wealth. Meaning that they enjoy a snack of mineral-type deliciousness from time to time. They don't need them to sustain themselves, I figure, but they do like eating things such as gemstones and coins.

Does this mean the things that they eat are simply.. gone, destroyed by their digestive system; Or do these priceless munchies turn into some form of steamy dragon fertilizer spotted in melted metals and colorful gems?

Thanks in advance! Not a super game-changing question... but the answer could lead to many interesting in-character discoveries or plot devices.

-Dove

http://www.fox.com/sites/default/files/video-image-thumb/DAD_822_5_tagged_2500_1280x720_330861635560.jpg

Ghost Nappa
2015-07-21, 11:02 PM
I don't know if Dragons poop, but when a Dragon cries, it's tear turns into a Jelly Bean. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZA-m6u29rI)