PDA

View Full Version : [Creatures] Back, back fowl fiends!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-02, 03:23 PM
Peafowl

http://www.castlebury.net/WebFowl/Bluecock%282%29.jpg

Small Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8 (9 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 40 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 15 (+2 dex, +2 natural, +1 size), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-6
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3-3 non-lethal)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3-3 non-lethal) and spurs -2 melee (1d3-3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Fanning
Special Qualities: Low-light vision
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment: Warm Forest and Plains
Organization: Solitary, Mates, or Pride (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

This beautiful creature appears as an extremely large pheasant whoes plumage can range from blue and green, to gold and green, to even pure white. The females of the species are much duller in color, often a lusterous brown, tan and gold with more colorful highlights. Brushing the ground behind the males are fantastic tails (trains) up to 3-6 feet in length, most with strange eye-like spots of scintilating blue, purples, oranges and blacks.

At the end of a small, sharp head is a curved beak. Its dark eyes are surrounded by white skin and sport elaborate lashes. From the top of its it head sprout a black crest.

Combat
Peafowl tend to flee creatures as large or larger than they, though small creatures they ward off with blows of their beaks and fluffing of their feathers.

Fanning (Ex): As a full round action a peafowl may spread their tail feathers to impressive heights, becoming much larger in appearance. While fanning, a peafowl is considered a Medium creature for the purpose of the Intimidation skill.

Peafowl as Familiars
Peafowl grant a +3 bonus on Diplomacy checks.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-02, 03:25 PM
Guineafowl

http://www.backyardbirdcam.com/gallery/guineafowl-lg2.jpg

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2d8+2 HD (4 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 30 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 dex, +1 natural, +2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3-4 non-lethal)
Full Attack: Bite +3 melee (1d3-4 non-lethal)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Limited flight, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +7, Escape Artist +7, Hide +15, Listen +3, Spot +5, Survival +6
Feats: Run, Weapon Finesse(B)
Organization: Solitary, Pair, Mob (3-6), Flock (8-20), Covey (21-40) Great Covey (41-100+)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Guineafowl appear as small pheasant-type birds of thick grey plumage speckled with black and white spots. They are streamlined in body and with featherless, wrinkled grey and white necks. From the top of their tiny, narrow heads is a large, bony protrusion. They have thick, hooked orange beaks with a pair of smooth wattles.

Guineafowl are swift, hyperactive birds who enjoy great congregations, though individual flocks stay together within their coveys. They are confrontational and agressive, chasing and attacking one another, and any other creatures that comes too close.

They are particularly raucuous in tone, and their screechings and whistlings can be heard for miles. If a guineafowl sees danger it lets loose a particularly grating call that all other guineafowl in hearing repeat.

Combat
Guineafowl tend to flog creatures en masse up to a size larger than themselves, pecking and slamming into them. If the creature is larger than themselves they tend to charge at their opponent and then swerve away, trying to intimidate it. If this does not prove successful the creature is normally left alone.

Limited Flight (Ex): A guineafowl may remain in flight for a number of rounds equal to twice their Constitution modifier before being forced to glide, descending 10 feet for each 30 feet forward.

Skills: Guineafowl gain a +2 racial bonus to listen and spot checks, a +4 bonus to balance, escape artist, hide, and survival checks bonus to survival checks. While in tall undergrowth this hide bonus increases to +6.

Guineafowl as Familiars
Guineafowl grant a +2 bonus to Initiative.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-02, 03:32 PM
Gamecock

http://www.judburkett.com/Cockblr.jpg

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2d8+1 (3 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 20 ft., fly 20 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 16 (+3 dex,+1 natural, +2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attacks: Flurry +5 melee (1d3-4)
Damage: Flurry +5 melee (1d3-4)
Special Attacks: Crow, pounce
Special Qualities: Ferocity, limited flight
Face/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 16, Con 12, Wis 12, Int 2, Cha 12
Skills: Balance +9, Bluff +3, Escape Artist +7, Hide +9, Intimidate +3, Listen +3, Spot +5, Survival +7
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Climate/Terrain: Any temperate or warm land
Organization: Solitary, 2-4 Clutch, 5-20 Flock
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 1-2 HD (Tiny)
Level Adjustment: --

A gamecock is a lithe, agile fowl bred for their quickness and ornery temperment for use in fights. Their heads are small and narrow to a curved beak, and their wattles and combs are very unpronounced, having mostly been bred out of the stock as to remove an object for the rooster's opponent to grab onto. Its legs are thickly scaled, and its talons sharpened. From the inner sides of the leg grow two vicious, several inch long spurs that have had razor-sharp bits of metal fitted over to inflict more cruel damage.

Combat
Gamecocks are naturally bluffers, pretending to peck the ground and search for food, sometimes even walking off, before suddenly flying into the air to strike its opponent with its flurry of beak, claws and spurs. They lift their feathers high and appear to increase in size to further intimidate.

Crow (Ex): As a full-round action, a gamecock can utter a piercing crow that will awaken those that slumber naturally within 100 feet and can be heard out to a mile or two.

Ferocity (Ex): A gamecock is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Limited Flight (Ex): A chicken is a poor flyer and generally can "fly" for short distances. It can use its flight ability to prevent taking falling damage or to fly upwards up to 20 feet. The chicken must always land at the end of its flight each round.

Pounce (Ex): When a gamecock makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack, including a spur attack (+5 melee, 1d3-4 damage, 19-20/x2).

Skills:
Gamecocks have a +2 racial bonus on intimidate and bluff checks, a +4 bonus to balance, escape artist, hide and spot checks, and a +6 bonus to survival checks. While in tall undergrowth this hide bonus increases to +6.

Gamecocks As Familiars
A gamecock grants a +3 bonus to Bluff checks.

InaVegt
2007-05-02, 03:34 PM
[roll0]

Otherwise, very nice.

jindra34
2007-05-02, 03:40 PM
[roll0]

Otherwise, very nice.

You forgot that he scored a crit on the PUN roll...

InaVegt
2007-05-02, 03:49 PM
You forgot that he scored a crit on the PUN roll...

That's factored in, a normal pun only deals 2d12 pun damage, as puns have a 18-20/X4 critical this was the result.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-05, 10:18 AM
Yup, you've all been pun-ished :smallamused:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-05, 06:47 PM
Baaad Puuun! Huuurt Pooor Gwyyyn"s Eeeaaars!

jindra34
2007-05-05, 07:04 PM
Baaad Puuun! Huuurt Pooor Gwyyyn"s Eeeaaars!

What you do not like being pun-ished.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-05, 07:16 PM
Nah, being pun-ished is just fine by me. At least it's not a PUN-CH

jindra34
2007-05-05, 07:21 PM
Nah, being pun-ished is just fine by me. At least it's not a PUN-CH

or a PUN-t

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-05, 07:28 PM
I really should cut out the witty titles, they seem to get more recognition than the actual content... :miko:

jindra34
2007-05-05, 07:28 PM
I really should cut out the witty titles, they seem to get more recognition than the actual content... :miko:

Remeber this time you started it...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-05, 07:41 PM
Nah, the witty titles draw attention. (which is probably why noones commened on my Inris stuff.

DracoDei
2007-05-06, 07:32 AM
Only peaCOCKs can fan, and I THINK they MIGHT only have the feathers during the mating season, but I don't know (check wikipedia, I am too lazy right now). peaHENs are rather drab and have MUCH shorter tails.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 07:55 AM
Only peaCOCKs can fan
I raise peafowl and beg to differ :smallwink:

Heres a hen doing it:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/12_18_2004_3_10_PM_0001.jpg

and I THINK they MIGHT only have the feathers during the mating season, but I don't know (check wikipedia, I am too lazy right now).
Mating season is 24/7 pretty much. Hens don't lay eggs in the winter, but the males are always ready to get it on reguardless. They also keep their tails all year.

mikeejimbo
2007-05-06, 08:00 AM
Ooh, I want a Dire Peacock!

DracoDei
2007-05-06, 02:10 PM
I raise peafowl and beg to differ :smallwink:

I am corrected... my most humble apologies.

bosssmiley
2007-05-06, 03:55 PM
Trainee Vrocks statted by the infamous VT?! :smalleek:

Run! Run for the hills! ... unless VT statted the hills too, in which case make for the boats.

lacesmcawesome
2007-05-06, 04:22 PM
Nice. I bet they make for good hunting, and it'd be cool if you could make the feathers into some headdress or another.

jindra34
2007-05-06, 05:16 PM
Trainee Vrocks statted by the infamous VT?! :smalleek:

Run! Run for the hills! ... unless VT statted the hills too, in which case make for the boats.

he's most definitely stated the boats...

martyboy74
2007-05-06, 06:09 PM
He's even stated a river.

jindra34
2007-05-06, 06:24 PM
He's even stated a river.

has he done the ocean yet?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 08:06 PM
has he done the ocean yet?
Err, well... yeah actually :smallredface:

Wai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10350)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-06, 08:08 PM
is there anything you haven't statted yet?

jindra34
2007-05-06, 08:14 PM

I was hoping for a no... but oh well...
How 'bout stating a forest?

mikeejimbo
2007-05-06, 08:22 PM

Vorpal Tribble, have I told you I loved you lately?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 09:08 PM
How 'bout stating a forest?
Memory of Trees (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11646) :smallamused:

jindra34
2007-05-06, 09:10 PM
Memory of Trees (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11646) :smallamused:

the mountains...?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-05-06, 09:30 PM
the mountains...?
Does this count?

Froutmooth (http://boards1.wizards.com/leaving.php?destination=http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D521431)

jindra34
2007-05-06, 09:37 PM
Does this count?

Froutmooth (http://boards1.wizards.com/leaving.php?destination=http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D521431)

Thankfully...NO!

Lykan
2007-05-07, 06:01 AM
I really need to resist applying any of the "half" someting templates to a chicken... It'd just be too messed up. >_<

XtheYeti
2007-05-07, 08:44 AM
VT has become the demi-god of homebrew. I here-by put forth an aplication to be his first preist

mikeejimbo
2007-05-07, 10:01 AM
Does he grant spells?

bosssmiley
2007-05-07, 11:26 AM
Does he grant spells?

Yeah. You choose any two of the Bitey, Parthenogenesis, Shade-wearing, Cuddly and Homebrew domains. :smallwink:

"A wizard Tribble did it."

mikeejimbo
2007-05-07, 11:52 AM
Yeah. You choose any two of the Bitey, Parthenogenesis, Shade-wearing, Cuddly and Homebrew domains. :smallwink:

"A wizard Tribble did it."

Even though I know what Parthenogenesis means, I'm still taking it.

And the Homebrew, I believe.

Now, back to serious topics, I meant to ask this, but wasn't there a fighting rooster statted up before?

jindra34
2007-05-07, 11:53 AM
Mine: Shade-wearing and Homebrew... come on whats cooler than wearing a set of midnight black shades...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-05-08, 05:02 PM
Definately Shade-Wearing and Homebrew. Wait, can anywhen make those domains, then we could actually make a Town Character.

Attilargh
2007-05-09, 05:54 AM
Have you statted a rhea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhea_%28bird%29) yet?

How about a Dire one?

bosssmiley
2007-05-12, 08:18 AM
Have you statted a rhea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhea_%28bird%29) yet?

How about a Dire one?

Crazy damn Finn! :smallbiggrin:

(to someday be called 'crazy like a Finn' - this is my enduring hope and sustaining dream)

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-12, 09:48 AM
awosm...
now to use them in a plage adventure

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-01, 09:47 AM
Inspired by this news article...

Peacock Beaten by NYC Man Who Claimed Bird Was Vampire (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287543,00.html)

-=-=-=-=-

Vampiric Peafowl

Small Undead
Hit Dice: 2d12 (13 hp)
Initiative: +8
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 40 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 23 (+4 dex, +8 natural, +1 size), touch 15, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+1
Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Slam +6 melee (1d4) and bite +1 melee (1d4 non-lethal) and spurs +1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blood drain, children of the night, create spawn, dominate, energy drain, fanning
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/silver and magic, fast healing 5, gaseous form, low-light vision, spider climb, resistance to cold 10 and electricity 10, turn resistance 4
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +9, Will +2
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 18, Con -, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +10, Hide +12, Listen +13, Move Silently +12, Search +5, Sense Motive +10, Spot +14
Feats: Alertness, Combat Reflexes(B), Dodge(B), Improved Initiative(B), Lightening Reflexes(B), Weapon Finesse(B)
Organization: Solitary, Mates, or Pride (3-8)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always evil neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +8

This appears much as a normal peacock except the entire creature is leaner, more predatory. Its eyes as well glow red with malevolence, and two long, sharp ridges extend down from its beak like fangs. Its claws are more like a raptor's, and its spurs jut out like twin daggers. The spots on its tail are black as pitch except for splashes of white that resemble a death's head.

Combat
Peafowl tend to flee creatures as large or larger than they, though small creatures they ward off with blows of their beaks and fluffing of their feathers.

Blood Drain (Ex): A vampiric peafowl can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points.

Children of the Night (Su): Vampires command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or a pack of 3d6 wolves as a standard action. (If the base creature is not terrestrial, this power might summon other creatures of similar power.) These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the vampire for up to 1 hour.

Create Spawn (Su): An avian or bird-like magical beast slain by a vampiric peafowl's energy drain rises as a vampire spawn (see the Vampire Spawn entry) 1d4 days after burial.

If the vampire instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD. In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the vampire that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. At any given time a vampire may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than twice its own Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit are created as free-willed vampires or vampire spawn. A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master vampire can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion. A vampire may voluntarily free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again.

Dominate (Su): A vampiric peafowl can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a DC 13 Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a vampiric peafowl's slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.

Fanning (Ex): As a full round action a peafowl may spread their tail feathers to impressive heights, becoming much larger in appearance. While fanning, a peafowl is considered a Medium creature for the purpose of the Intimidation skill.

Gaseous Form (Su): As a standard action, a vampiric peafowl can assume gaseous form at will as the spell (caster level 5th), but it can remain gaseous indefinitely and has a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability.

Spider Climb (Ex): A vampiric peafowl can climb sheer surfaces as though with a spider climb spell.

Turn Resistance (Ex): A vampiric peafowl has +4 turn resistance.

Poppatomus
2007-07-01, 09:50 AM
The idea of a vampiric Peacock, in cape and avian-style tuxedo of course, in command of a legion of humanoid vampires is so beautiful it has moved me to tears.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-01, 10:59 AM
How would a bird have fangs?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-01, 11:02 AM
How would a bird have fangs?
If you notice I said it had two fang-like ridges to its beak. Many birds have serrated beaks for cutting through vegetation. This one just has them for sucking blood.

And... how would a bird be undead? Or turn into vapor? Or summon swarms of bats? C'mon now :smallsigh:

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-01, 11:31 AM
If you notice I said it had two fang-like ridges to its beak. Many birds have serrated beaks for cutting through vegetation. This one just has them for sucking blood.

And... how would a bird be undead? Or turn into vapor? Or summon swarms of bats? C'mon now :smallsigh:

Well it could have an unusual metabolism, have some form of extrdimentional travel and call pats with a specific call.

storybookknight
2007-07-01, 11:31 PM
I could so totally see a sorcerer with a peafowl familiar. That's really quite useful.

F.H. Zebedee
2007-07-03, 02:06 PM
I've raised various fowl, and must say that I love the idea of having a guinea fowl as a familiar. They are so friggin' kick arse awesome, even if they're noisy as all get out. And yes, the initiative bonus is totally fitting for them.

Heck, maybe I'll make a ranger with one as a companion. Now THAT would be interesting.

Standard Ranger: I've got a pet wolf.

FHZ: I've got this noisy...birdy thingy that won't shut up.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-04, 11:56 PM
Dominate (Su): A vampiric peafowl can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes.

Can you think of anything that would be more pathetic than being mind-crushed by a peacock? I can't.