PDA

View Full Version : Adding tick-base initiative to Legend/Runequest

Davout1806
2015-07-20, 08:32 PM
I love the tick-based initiative from Hackmaster 5e but like the other things from Legend/RQ. I was wondering if anyone has tried to add such a system to Legend/RQ. I'd like to hear what was done and how it worked out. Or any suggestions.

Thanks.

dream
2015-07-20, 11:20 PM
Hackmaster's combat system is very GURPS-like; attacks and movement measured in seconds, defenders rolling to avoid/parry attacks, the effect of reach weapons. I like the tick-based system period, although Hackmaster's is not exactly my favorite.

Villains & Vigilantes, an old-school superhero RPG, has my favorite; (1d10 + Agility score) - 15 second "ticks". Usually, PCs would have 3+ actions per round (15 seconds) and with 4+ PCs and a near-equal number of villains, combat was as dynamic as Hackmaster or GURPS.

The dated idea of "I go, you go, I go ..." initiative systems is so unlike any kind of combat we see in the fiction RPGs are trying to simulate. Some don't like the mechanical verisimilitude, but IME, D&D/PF combat has always left me a little flat.

I've used the V&V-inspired system for nearly every system, because it's very adaptable (1d20 + Agility/DEX) - round/turn seconds (6, usually), represented in "phases/ticks". So:

DEX 16 + 1d20; roll of 7 = 23 total; -6 second ticks = 23, 17, 11, 5; 4 actions for the PC inside of a 6-second round. Impressive & more than simulates the lightning-fast reflexes of fantasy heroes.

Just my take & great topic.