PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Homebrew Cosmic sorcerer?

Arcuriel
2015-07-20, 09:02 PM
I'm a fairly novice GM, and I have a group converting from 4e to 5e. One of my players would like to keep their Cosmic spell source. I was thinking of homebrewing something, but I really don't know where to start. Anybody have any ideas?

Scarab112
2015-07-20, 09:19 PM
Well, if I recall, the key idea of the Cosmic sorcerer was having 3 phases that they swapped through, which determined their resistances and the like, though I forget the exact method they switched.

Wild Sorcerer is probably a good starting point. Just replace some of the random effects with changing the phase they're in. For example, maybe give them fire resistance while in sun mode and cold resistance in moon.

Aside from that, take a page from the more recent sorcerer bloodlines and give them some bonus spells that fit the theme. Guided Bolt for a radiant attack, maybe some of the sun/moon spells from the druid list.

I can try and come up with something more thorough given time.

Arcuriel
2015-07-20, 09:45 PM
It looks like they chose their phase after each rest, and if they were bloodied they were forced into the next one. They could choose to advance after using a daily spell. The Wild Sorcerer might be a good way to choose when they advance, actually. Do you think it should be a variant Wild, or just take inspiration from it?

Also, would it make sense to give them the Sacred Flame cantrip for free as a 1st-level feature, for radiant damage at-will?

Scarab112
2015-07-20, 10:09 PM
It looks like they chose their phase after each rest, and if they were bloodied they were forced into the next one. They could choose to advance after using a daily spell.

Yeah, looking over it again I would recommend something like this.

Have Sun be Fire resistance, Moon be Cold resistance, and Stars be Radiant and Psychic resistance. When they finish a short or long rest they get to choose which phase they're in. When they roll a nat 1 on a spell attack roll, they move to the next one, and if they roll a 20, they can choose to move to the next one if they want.

To make this more interesting than just switching resistances though, I would go through and make a list of spells for each of the 3 phases, and have those spells be extra spells known as long as they're in that phase. To keep it simple a single spell of each level would be the best solution. This would give a good deal of versatility and let them play around with different spells.

The resistances should be enough for a 1st level benefit. At 6th level, you can copy the dragon sorcerer benefit and give him extra damage based on his current mode. At 14, I would give him the ability to swap phases mid-combat by expending a sorcery point. For 18th level, I'd upgrade the resistance of his phases to immunity and make it so when he rolls a 1 he can choose to stay rather than being forced to move.

As for the spells themselves, I'd recommend starting them at first level and progressing them up to around 6th or 7th level spells. Just pick out things that will be thematic for each category, but make sure each one has at least a few that can be used in combat.

Edit: For the cantrip, that too could be decided by the phase. Fire bolt for Sun, Ray of Frost for Moon, and Sacred Flame for Stars.

Safety Sword
2015-07-20, 10:10 PM
Thought this thread was Homebrew Comic Sorcerer.

Disappointed...

Arcuriel
2015-07-20, 10:17 PM
Thought this thread was Homebrew Comic Sorcerer.

Disappointed...

Papercut damage!

Arcuriel
2015-07-20, 10:22 PM
@Scarab, I like these ideas a lot! When you suggest giving them spells, I think you mean something like domain spells? It sounds interesting because they get 3 per spell level instead of two, but only have one at a time, fitting in very nicely with the phases mechanic.

EDIT: Any ideas on when to unlock the cantrips?

Scarab112
2015-07-20, 10:29 PM
@Scarab, I like these ideas a lot! When you suggest giving them spells, I think you mean something like domain spells? It sounds interesting because they get 3 per spell level instead of two, but only have one at a time, fitting in very nicely with the phases mechanic.

EDIT: Any ideas on when to unlock the cantrips?

The cantrips would probably be fine to give them at first level. You could either give them the cantrips and have the spells set up like domains, or make the spells more like the druid land circle and delay any bonus spells until level 3, just to keep things simpler for the first few levels.

I think the latter would work better, as resistances along with the free cantrip should be enough to keep it on par with other bloodlines, though it's a bit dependent on how often elemental damage will be showing up early on.

Arcuriel
2015-07-20, 11:49 PM
It might be a good idea to grant a change when an enemy save is a natural 1, and to force a change when they roll a natural 20, so that players can't ignore the mechanics by using only saving-throw spells.

Also, looking at the Sorcerer advancement table, I see that they get no features at all at 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th levels. They do get new spell levels, though, so perhaps these would be good points to grant access to spells. For consistency, 3rd level could grant 1st level spells, and maybe they get 2nd at 5th, 3rd at 7th, and so on, until 7th level spells at level 15.

Tenmujiin
2015-07-21, 01:00 AM
It might be a good idea to grant a change when an enemy save is a natural 1, and to force a change when they roll a natural 20, so that players can't ignore the mechanics by using only saving-throw spells.

Also, looking at the Sorcerer advancement table, I see that they get no features at all at 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th levels. They do get new spell levels, though, so perhaps these would be good points to grant access to spells. For consistency, 3rd level could grant 1st level spells, and maybe they get 2nd at 5th, 3rd at 7th, and so on, until 7th level spells at level 15.

Take a look at the Favored Soul (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes) and Storm (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf) origins. Some people think they are overpowered (compared to draconic and wild) but given that both get the bonus list of spells known I think WotC consider sorcerers too weak as is and the origins are intended as a buff.

Arcuriel
2015-07-21, 09:55 AM
Hm... do you think we should add the spells at 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 like the Storm and Favored Soul, or should we delay those by two levels since there's already cantrips at first level?

Arcuriel
2015-07-21, 01:42 PM
Here's what I have so far:

Cosmic Bloodline

Your innate magic comes from the unending cycles of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. Perhaps you were born during an eclipse, or an alignment of planets with constellations. Maybe you were imbued with otherworldy might when you came into contact with a fallen meteor. No matter how you gained your magic, the endless dance of sun, moon, and stars sings within your very blood.

Phases of the Sky

Three different phases are available to you. They are, in order, the Phase of the Sun, the Phase of the Moon, the Phase of the Stars, and then back to the Phase of the Sun. These phases grant you special benefits while you are in them.

Phase of the Sun: You have resistance to Fire damage. You can cast the Fire bolt cantrip at-will.
Phase of the Moon: You have resistance to Cold damage. You can cast the Ray of Frost cantrip at-will.
Phase of the Stars: You have resistance to Radiant and Psychic damage. You can cast the Sacred Flame cantrip at-will.

When you finish a short or long rest, you can choose one of these three phases and enter it. (You can only be in one phase at a time.) When you roll a natural 1 on a spell attack, or a creature rolls a natural 20 on a saving throw against your spell, you must enter the next phase in the cycle. When you roll a natural 20 on a spell attack, or when a creature rolls a natural 1 on a saving throw against your spell, you can choose to enter either of the other two phases, or you may remain in your current phase.

Otherworldy Talent

At 3rd level, then again at 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, and 15th level, you can use cast new spells depending on your current Phase (Refer to the table below.) These spells do not count against your spells known, nor do they prevent you from learning them as normal. These spells count as Sorcerer spells for you.

Sun
Moon
Stars

Level 3
Color Spray
Armor of Agathys
Guiding Bolt

Level 5
Continual Flame
Moonbeam
Darkvision

Level 7
Daylight
Tidal Wave
Melf's Minute Meteors

Level 9
Fire Shield
Control Water
Guardian of Faith

Level 11
Awaken
Cone of Cold
Dream

Channel the Cycle

Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of a type your Phase grants you resistance to, add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Guide the Flow

Starting at 14th level, you can spend a sorcery point as a bonus action to choose and enter a different phase.

Celestial Mastery

Starting at 18th level, your phases grant you immunities rather than resistances. In addition, when you would be forced to enter a new phase, you can instead remain in your current phase.

Scarab112
2015-07-21, 03:14 PM
Here's what I have so far:

snip

The bonus spells known should still match the levelthat the sorcerer is at. At 3rd level, the bonus spells should still be second level spells.

That said, I don't think the combination of cantrips and spells at 1st level would be too much. The cantrips are a mostly minor benefit that just mean he'll save a slot on picking out an attack cantrip.

Other than that, I think your choices are mostly solid. I would swap out Continual Flame for Fire Sphere, as it has a costly component and isn't useful at all in combat. Awaken is a similar issue. Invisibility might work better than darkvision, but that's just my personal preference.

Arcuriel
2015-07-21, 03:27 PM
The bonus spells known should still match the levelthat the sorcerer is at. At 3rd level, the bonus spells should still be second level spells.

That said, I don't think the combination of cantrips and spells at 1st level would be too much. The cantrips are a mostly minor benefit that just mean he'll save a slot on picking out an attack cantrip.

Other than that, I think your choices are mostly solid. I would swap out Continual Flame for Fire Sphere, as it has a costly component and isn't useful at all in combat. Awaken is a similar issue. Invisibility might work better than darkvision, but that's just my personal preference.

Fair enough on Continual Flame and Awaken; they might fit (practically unending light source and sunlight causing plant growth) but they don't have a whole lot going for them in combat, which is when you'd expect phases to matter.

Fire sphere is a great fit too, though, and Flame Strike would be a neat replacement for Awaken. I was thinking of starlight granting the ability to see when it would otherwise be dark, but Invisibility also has a good thematic feel and could have more tactical use. Either one would work with that, I think. Maybe Mirror Image, since unlike Sun and Moon, there are a lot of stars?

EDIT: Well, I guess the last sentence kinda depends on setting, but still.

Scarab112
2015-07-21, 03:54 PM
Fair enough on Continual Flame and Awaken; they might fit (practically unending light source and sunlight causing plant growth) but they don't have a whole lot going for them in combat, which is when you'd expect phases to matter.

Fire sphere is a great fit too, though, and Flame Strike would be a neat replacement for Awaken. I was thinking of starlight granting the ability to see when it would otherwise be dark, but Invisibility also has a good thematic feel and could have more tactical use. Either one would work with that, I think. Maybe Mirror Image, since unlike Sun and Moon, there are a lot of stars?

EDIT: Well, I guess the last sentence kinda depends on setting, but still.

I prefer invisibility over darkvision only because it benefits the sorcerer regardless of race. All of them could fit thematically, but it's really up to you.

Arcuriel
2015-07-21, 04:52 PM
I prefer invisibility over darkvision only because it benefits the sorcerer regardless of race. All of them could fit thematically, but it's really up to you.

Ah, good point... Yeah, the racial fairness is a good idea. Mirror Image would also serve that job but I think Invisibility is a bit more thematic.

Cosmic Bloodline

Your innate magic comes from the unending cycles of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars. Perhaps you were born during an eclipse, or an alignment of planets with constellations. Maybe you were imbued with otherworldy might when you came into contact with a fallen meteor. No matter how you gained your magic, the endless dance of sun, moon, and stars sings within your very blood.

Phases of the Sky

Three different phases are available to you. They are, in order, the Phase of the Sun, the Phase of the Moon, the Phase of the Stars, and then back to the Phase of the Sun. These phases grant you special benefits while you are in them.

Phase of the Sun: You have resistance to Fire damage. You can cast the Fire bolt cantrip at-will.
Phase of the Moon: You have resistance to Cold damage. You can cast the Ray of Frost cantrip at-will.
Phase of the Stars: You have resistance to Radiant and Psychic damage. You can cast the Sacred Flame cantrip at-will.

When you finish a short or long rest, you can choose one of these three phases and enter it. (You can only be in one phase at a time.) When you roll a natural 1 on a spell attack, or a creature rolls a natural 20 on a saving throw against your spell, you must enter the next phase in the cycle. When you roll a natural 20 on a spell attack, or when a creature rolls a natural 1 on a saving throw against your spell, you can choose to enter either of the other two phases, or you may remain in your current phase.

Otherworldy Talent

At 1st level, then again at 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 9th level, you can use cast new spells depending on your current Phase (Refer to the table below.) These spells do not count against your spells known, nor do they prevent you from learning them as normal. While you are in the corresponding phase, these spells count as Sorcerer spells for you.

Sun
Moon
Stars

Level 1
Color Spray
Armor of Agathys
Guiding Bolt

Level 3
Fire Sphere
Moonbeam
Invisibility

Level 5
Daylight
Tidal Wave
Melf's Minute Meteors

Level 7
Fire Shield
Control Water
Guardian of Faith

Level 9
Flame Strike
Cone of Cold
Dream

Channel the Cycle

Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that deals damage of a type your Phase grants you resistance to, add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

Guide the Flow

Starting at 14th level, you can spend a sorcery point as a bonus action to choose and enter a different phase.

Celestial Mastery

Starting at 18th level, your phases grant you immunities rather than resistances. In addition, when you would be forced to enter a new phase, you can instead remain in your current phase.