PDA

View Full Version : Specific Metamagic Reductions?

The Glyphstone
2007-05-02, 03:59 PM
Is there any way to reduce the spell adjustment for a specific metamagic feat, permanently or otherwise? I know there's the PHBII feat that reduces it for a single spell, and the CMage feat that reduces metafeats applied to a chosen school, but is there a feat out there that, say, could make Maximize Spell add +2 lvls instead of +3? Or something similar?

Ikkitosen
2007-05-02, 04:02 PM
If you're happy with magazine sources there's Easy Metamagic (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Easy_Metamagic,all).

Jasdoif
2007-05-02, 04:09 PM
Metamagic rods (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#metamagicRods) allow you to apply a particular metamagic feat without using a higher-level spell slot, even if you don't know the feat in question. They're only usable three times per day.

The epic feat Improved Metamagic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMetamagic) reduces the spell slot increaes for all your metamagic feats, to a minimum of +1.

Tellah
2007-05-02, 04:19 PM
Another way to reduce metamagic adjustments is to take the Faerūn PrC Incantatrix through all ten levels. Like most of Forgotten Realms, it's very powerful, so talk to your DM.

Turcano
2007-05-02, 04:34 PM
I know of an Improved Metamagic feat that brings down all metamagic adjustments down by one (to a minimum of +1) but that's epic.

Edit: Wow, that was a long ninja.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-02, 10:08 PM
While this thread is up, I have a question.

If you used say, Lord of the Uttercold, and/or Born of the Three Thunders, and you had Arcane Thesis, could you then apply another metamagic(like Maximise, which is +3, IIRC) at 2(3, if you used both) levels less than it would be?

Felius
2007-05-02, 10:13 PM
On the realms of the epic feats, there is a few feats that give automatic metamagic for a certain level of spells. If I remember right, you would need take three feats for each metamagic feats so it goes for all 9 spells levels.

Jasdoif
2007-05-02, 10:54 PM
While this thread is up, I have a question.

If you used say, Lord of the Uttercold, and/or Born of the Three Thunders, and you had Arcane Thesis, could you then apply another metamagic(like Maximise, which is +3, IIRC) at 2(3, if you used both) levels less than it would be?No. Arcane Thesis lowers the slot needed by the spell, not by each feat on it.

Since this is also in the FAQ, I'll just quote it here:
If a character with Arcane Thesis (Player’s Handbook II, 74) applies multiple metamagic feats to the chosen spell, is the spell’s slot reduced by one level, or by one level per metamagic feat applied?

Arcane Thesis reduces the total spell level of a metamagic-affected spell by one, regardless of the number of metamagic feats applied. An empowered (+2 levels), still (+1 level), silent (+1 level) fireball would be 6th level.

Can the Arcane Thesis feat (Player’s Handbook II, 74) reduce a spell’s level below the normal level for the spell?

No.

Jacob Orlove
2007-05-02, 10:59 PM
I think the feat you're looking for is Practical Metamagic, from Races of the Dragon. It may have some obnoxious prerequisite about being dragonblooded, though.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-03, 03:56 AM
I think the feat you're looking for is Practical Metamagic, from Races of the Dragon. It may have some obnoxious prerequisite about being dragonblooded, though.

Ahh yes. The "big brother" of Arcane Thesis. Would the trick work with that?

The Glyphstone
2007-05-03, 05:11 AM
Practical Metamagic is probably what I'm looking for...I have a friend who owns it, I'll go ask him.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-03, 06:09 AM
Yeah, you've got to be dragonblooded and able to spontaneously cast level 3 spells... which makes the feat almost completely worthless.

InaVegt
2007-05-03, 06:17 AM
There's also the wu jen class, allowing you to premanently still/silent/extend/enlarge on of your wu jen spells when you cast it, without cost.

@^ if you're a spellscale sorcerer it's quite a good feat to pick up. And despite sorcerers being less powerful than wizards they are still very powerful.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-05-03, 06:46 AM
Easy Metamagic (as previously mentioned) reduces a single metamagic feat's level adjustment by 1 (but with a minimum of +1 level adjustment). You can take it multiple times, but have to apply it to a different metamagic feat each time.
It's in DR 325, and in the CrystalKeep feat index.

AtomicKitKat
2007-05-03, 10:43 AM
Bah. Practical Metamagic has a minimum of +1 as well. Looks like I'm SOL on the abuse then. ;(