PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dark Sun Wizard School: School of the Preserver (PEACH)

Edge
2015-07-21, 06:37 AM
So, there's a 5e Dark Sun game recruiting in the Finding Players subforum at the moment. Now, I wasn't really familiar with Athas before I read that thread, and now I just might be in love. However, the character concept I wanted (preserver wizard) isn't exactly supported by the core 5e wizard schools, but the DM of the game is amenable to homebrew. And so this subclass happened, inspired quite heavily by the 4e Dark Sun Master Preserver paragon path.

This subclass assumes the defiling and preserving rules presented here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g-am_U_h7vWdX5uyUjMtMARUqoq6ZQjklhAh9k1Yx1w/edit?usp=sharing) are in play.

School of the Preserver

Level 2: Spirit Whispers
Beginning when you select this school at 2nd level, you may add spells on the druid spell list with a spell level equal to half your proficiency bonus or lower to your spellbook and thereafter treat them as wizard spells. If you find such a druid spell, you may also copy it into your spellbook for the double the normal time and cost requirements. In addition, when you learn a new cantrip from your wizard levels, you may also select cantrips from the druid spell list.

Level 2: Vital Magic
Starting at 2nd level when you choose this school, you gain the ability to redirect the vital essence of your foes to those more deserving of it. As a bonus action once per turn when you successfully damage one or more creatures with an arcane cantrip or spell you cast while preserving, you may cause you or one non-hostile creature within 30 feet of you regain hit points equal to twice the spell's level. A cantrip is considered to have an effective level of 0.5 for the purpose of this feature. You don't get this benefit for damaging constructs or undead.

Level 6: Blessing of the Land
Starting at 6th level, you may add half your proficiency bonus to any Nature or Survival check that doesn't already include your proficiency bonus, and you gain advantage on Nature and Survival checks. In addition, if you expend your inspiration when preserving whilst casting an arcane spell, you may ignore the penalties for casting arcane magic on defiled land for one minute per class level.

If you defile to cast an arcane spell, you lose all benefits of this feature until you accept a geas spell from a cleric or druid and go the spell's duration without defiling again.

Level 10: Vital Shield
Beginning at 10th level, you add your Intelligence modifier to the number of hit points your Vital Magic feature recovers. Furthermore, any excess hit points above the target non-hostile creature's maximum are gained as temporary hit points. Temporary hit points created by this feature stack with themselves (to a maximum of your class level + your Intelligence modifier), but not with other sources of temporary hit points, and last until the next time you take a short or long rest.

Level 14: Light of the Lost Sun
Starting at 14th level, you can call forth the former vitality of Athas' sun through your magic. You activate this feature as an action, and its effects last for 1 minute. Whilst Light of the Lost Sun is active, you radiate bright light in a 30ft radius, and dim light a further 30ft beyond that. Furthermore, every time you preserve whilst casting an arcane spell whilst this feature is active, hostile creatures within the bright light take 2d10 + your Intelligence modifier radiant damage and are blinded for 1 round. A Wisdom save against your wizard spell save DC halves the damage and negates the blindness.

In addition, allies within the bright light you radiate gain one of two benefits when they hit with an attack: they may either deal an extra 2d4 radiant damage on the attack, or regain hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier plus your proficiency bonus.

Once you have used this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

My main concern here is Vital Magic, which is effectively a superior version of the School of Necromancy's Grim Harvest feature, but I'm not sure if that's going to be offset by the fact that it requires a bonus action to use, rather than being automatic, and that any preserver will often be suffering a -1 penalty on their spell save DC and spell attack modifier.

Edge
2015-07-27, 05:16 PM
And a bump to try and get some comments and critique.

Princess
2015-07-27, 07:53 PM
It's hard to be sure about this without any idea what "defiling to cast a spell" and "preserving to cast a spell" actually do.

That said, the power level of this doesn't seem too off - these are useful things, but they don't scream "over powered" to me. However, giving wizards the ability to heal others at all steps on the toes of the classes that get heal spells without as much utility as wizard spells in other areas. That alone might be enough to throw off the balance of this. It definitely reflavors the Wizard from core *a whole bunch* but I figure you already knew that :)

Edge
2015-07-28, 01:51 AM
It's hard to be sure about this without any idea what "defiling to cast a spell" and "preserving to cast a spell" actually do.
There's a link in the first post, but to save you the effort:

When an arcane spellcaster, such as a Sorcerer or Wizard, casts a spell they decide whether they are Defiling or Preserving.
Defiling
When you cast a spell, you defile a radius around you equal to 5 feet for each level of the spell slot used, dealing 1d4 necrotic damage per spell level to all plant life in the defiled area. Cantrips are treated as 1st level spells for the purposes of defiling. A defiled area cannot support life and nothing will grow there for years. Whenever a spell is cast on defiled land, the spell save DC and Spell attack bonus both have a -2 modifier.
Defilers: When a spellcaster shows no reverence for nature and defiles it excessively, they are labelled a defiler and lose the ability to Preserve. When a Defiler defiles, their spell attack and spell save DC for the spell may be increased depending on the terrain. Fertile land yields a +2 bonus, while normal land has no bonus. When casting on defiled land, a Defiler increases the radius of defilement by 5 feet per spell level instead of having a negative modifier applied to their spells.

Preserving
You cast spells normally.
Preservers: When a spellcaster has devoted much of their life to preserving the natural balance of the world, they are labelled a preserver. Preservers only have a -1 modifier when casting on defiled land, but can not defile.

Most people in Dying Star worlds don’t know the difference between Defilers and Preservers, and will turn hostile against any arcane spellcaster.

That said, the power level of this doesn't seem too off - these are useful things, but they don't scream "over powered" to me. However, giving wizards the ability to heal others at all steps on the toes of the classes that get heal spells without as much utility as wizard spells in other areas. That alone might be enough to throw off the balance of this. It definitely reflavors the Wizard from core *a whole bunch* but I figure you already knew that :)
Yeah, this is very much a Dark Sun-specific School that builds on the unique position of arcane casters in that setting, and the healing is an extrapolation of that. Glad it at least seems reasonable balanced, though.