PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Grappling Tiger Mount?

diablodevil2
2015-07-21, 08:53 AM
Heya again!

I was curious, as I'm planning on playing a Druid in a while, and getting a Tiger eventually as a mount/AC.

You can still ride a tiger while it's grappling/raking, right? I'd assume raking is basically using it's back claws to tear someone up, while holding someone down. I haven't really seen anything in the RAW about riding a grappler, is why I ask.

Thanks a bunch!

Geddy2112
2015-07-21, 09:20 AM
Yes, the tiger can grapple while you are riding it. Keep in mind the tiger has to conform to all grapple rules, so unless you dismount you can't move(nor can the tiger) unless it succeeds on a grapple check and moves at half speed.

Psyren
2015-07-21, 09:27 AM
In Pathfinder this is an unequivocal yes, because grapplers don't have to share each other's space. Not sure about 3.5 as then you will have three creatures in the same space.

Hiro Quester
2015-07-21, 11:00 AM
I have always thought of a tiger (or other cat) raking as it holding on with bite and/or laws, then lying down (using improved grab to pull opponent into its space) and raking with back claws.

I am playing a forest gnome Druid with Tiger AC. I ride it often, but when combat situations loom, I'm usually wildshaping into a tiger myself, or if the tighter attacks telling it not to rake if I'm still riding. Or I make the ride check to jump off as the tiger goes into attack.

IMHO, staying in a saddle while the tiger rakes would probably pin you to the ground.

atemu1234
2015-07-21, 06:59 PM
I have always thought of a tiger (or other cat) raking as it holding on with bite and/or laws, then lying down (using improved grab to pull opponent into its space) and raking with back claws.

I am playing a forest gnome Druid with Tiger AC. I ride it often, but when combat situations loom, I'm usually wildshaping into a tiger myself, or if the tighter attacks telling it not to rake if I'm still riding. Or I make the ride check to jump off as the tiger goes into attack.

IMHO, staying in a saddle while the tiger rakes would probably pin you to the ground.

Reminded me of this...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9UrAYjXN_1M/UnoC8gT-x5I/AAAAAAAAA4o/BB-6iDVQYVo/s640/Pointy.gif

Debihuman
2015-07-22, 11:09 AM
Heya again!

I was curious, as I'm planning on playing a Druid in a while, and getting a Tiger eventually as a mount/AC.

You can still ride a tiger while it's grappling/raking, right? I'd assume raking is basically using it's back claws to tear someone up, while holding someone down. I haven't really seen anything in the RAW about riding a grappler, is why I ask.

Thanks a bunch!

While you can ride a tiger while it is grappling, if I were your DM, I would make you take a Ride check to stay seated while doing so. A normal DC to stay seated is DC 5. However, a grappling tiger would probably add another 5 or even 10 to that. Note you couldn't take 10 since there is a risk of failure and you can't take 20 because you'd fall off.

Riding a tiger can be difficult. First, you take a -5 penalty for riding a tiger because tigers aren't suited for riding (see Ride skill). If you ride your tiger without a saddle you take a - 5 penalty for riding bareback. (see Ride skill). To reduce the penalty, your tiger requires an exotic military saddle; this gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to ride checks. So riding a tiger gives you a -8 penalty over riding some more appropriate animal, just so you are aware of this when you decide which animal to ride into combat.

Debby