PDA

View Full Version : Adapting the Ashworm Dragoon

ObsidianRose
2007-05-02, 05:24 PM
The Ashworm Dragoon is a pretige class in Sandstorm, dedicated to rearing and riding large worms. Anyways, a player of mine really likes the class, but we're playing in a Greek themed Sandalpunk campaign, where the worms wouldn't be available. Anyone have suggestions on a change of monsters and maybe some mechanics? Thanks in advance

Innis Cabal
2007-05-02, 05:26 PM
well what is a large desert creature in your world? replace it with the most exotic of them

ObsidianRose
2007-05-02, 06:19 PM
The most exotic feeling mounts I could think of would be an enlarged wolf (Romulan wolf?) or a hippogriff. Perhaps a lesser manticore.

Innis Cabal
2007-05-02, 06:23 PM
then just replace the creature, simple as that. i dont have book infront of me, though its one of my favorite 3.5 books, i forget if there is anything about burrowing, but if there is change it to the something unique to the mount

Fizban
2007-05-02, 06:51 PM
Hmm, Chimera? Manticore? (too strong) Giant Scorpion?

You just need a similar HD and CR creature with a special attack that allows a save. The class is still great even without the burrowing stuff, you could just toss in some increased speed if you want to make up for the loss.

A Large Monstrous Scorpion has 2 extra HD and 1 extra CR over an ashworm.

A Large Monstrous Centipede has the same HD and 1 less CR than an ashworm, and only has the one attack with poison. A Huge version has 3 more HD with the same CR, but the increased HD and climb speed should make up for the loss of the burrow speed.

Or, you could find a monster in Greek mythology that burrows and has a poison sting, and use the ashworm's stats for it.