PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to portray a PC Magical Frankenstein ?

CyberThread
2015-07-21, 07:24 PM
What would be the best class and race combo do you think to portray a sort of magic experiment creation that has magical abilties in a sort of brutish nature. Am not thinking something that would be learned but I also don't want to go the stealth or sorcerer route.

JNAProductions
2015-07-21, 07:29 PM
Goliath, with some refluffing.

BoardPep
2015-07-21, 07:36 PM
Perhaps a Warforged Warlock?

Lockforge!

But yeah, you could say that you died in a valiant battle (perhaps as a common guard) and woke up in the middle of nowhere in this strange metal body with fragmented memories of your past, including those of a cloaked wizard tinkering with your body.

Perhaps upon some investigation, you'll find out that you still have a human heart/brain, but they are inside the metal/wooden shell of the warforged body.

Daishain
2015-07-22, 08:28 AM
Well, a flesh golem is the actual magical Frankenstein of this setting. I'd start there.

MrStabby
2015-07-22, 09:13 AM
Totem Barbarian.

Rage, physical damage resistance and superhuman abilities can all be attributed to a magical nature.

Ritual casting adds a little more magical flavour on top.

WickerNipple
2015-07-22, 09:20 AM
I played a character with a very similar concept and used Genasi. Class doesn't really matter much.

FatherLiir
2015-07-22, 09:26 AM
There was a Homebrewed Race on the 5e Wiki for D&D, which has exactly what you are looking for here

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soul_Stitched_(5e_Race)

The Link has a bunch of fluff information going on about the race's creation and societies attitudes toward them and a whole series of traits for those that don't wanna click, the mechanics are mostly below =)

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Soul Stitched "live" for only a short amount of time, mostly powering down after 20 years due to losing the supple of electricity that reanimated them. Soul Stitched can be recharged however, by a new lightning strike, which can reset their life expectancy to another 20 years.
Alignment. Soul Stitched alignment is varied. They have no natural tendencies but many times the environment after their creation can lead them down one path or another.
Size. Soul Stitched are around the same size as humans but usually weigh more.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Living Construct. Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Corpse Born. You have vulnerability to fire damage. You also cannot be healed by healing spells of any level nor by class features such as Lay on Hands.
Undead. You count as an undead creature as well as a living construct for the sake of effects that specifically target undead; however, you have advantage on saving throws against such effects.
Lighting Absorption. Whenever you are subjected to lightning damage, you take no damage and instead regain a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt.
Languages. Common and a choice of one other.

CyberThread
2015-07-22, 03:21 PM
There was a Homebrewed Race on the 5e Wiki for D&D, which has exactly what you are looking for here

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soul_Stitched_(5e_Race)

The Link has a bunch of fluff information going on about the race's creation and societies attitudes toward them and a whole series of traits for those that don't wanna click, the mechanics are mostly below =)

Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 2. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Soul Stitched "live" for only a short amount of time, mostly powering down after 20 years due to losing the supple of electricity that reanimated them. Soul Stitched can be recharged however, by a new lightning strike, which can reset their life expectancy to another 20 years.
Alignment. Soul Stitched alignment is varied. They have no natural tendencies but many times the environment after their creation can lead them down one path or another.
Size. Soul Stitched are around the same size as humans but usually weigh more.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Living Construct. Even though you were constructed, you are a living creature. You are immune to disease. You do not need to eat or breathe, but you can ingest food and drink if you wish. Instead of sleeping, you enter an inactive state for 4 hours each day. You do not dream in this state; you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
Corpse Born. You have vulnerability to fire damage. You also cannot be healed by healing spells of any level nor by class features such as Lay on Hands.
Undead. You count as an undead creature as well as a living construct for the sake of effects that specifically target undead; however, you have advantage on saving throws against such effects.
Lighting Absorption. Whenever you are subjected to lightning damage, you take no damage and instead regain a number of hit points equal to the lightning damage dealt.
Languages. Common and a choice of one other.

Big enough venruabilties to warrent the endless self healing through shocking grasp.

-Jynx-
2015-07-22, 03:33 PM
Big enough venruabilties to warrent the endless self healing through shocking grasp.

I disagree. Who needs healing magic if lightning heals you anyways (and you have the luxury of shocking grasp which scales anyways) when you could just cast it continuously after each battle until you are at full health without using spell slots. Sure fire vulnerability sucks but free heals all day is well worth that and more.

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-22, 03:44 PM
For Frankenstein: An intelligence based class with human/variant human. Be sure to dump wisdom.

For Frankenstein's Monster: Eldritch Knight, probably with a goliath. Dump dex. Make sure to get high Str, Con and Int.

FatherLiir
2015-07-22, 03:46 PM
I disagree. Who needs healing magic if lightning heals you anyways (and you have the luxury of shocking grasp which scales anyways) when you could just cast it continuously after each battle until you are at full health without using spell slots. Sure fire vulnerability sucks but free heals all day is well worth that and more.

I mean you're also a monster to all who gaze upon you should they recognize what you are, trying to shock yourself in an Inn might draw attention and if you have or find a Cleric or Paladin who will turn/destroy every undead they see you got a serious problem there.

-Jynx-
2015-07-22, 03:55 PM
From an RP standpoint even teiflings should get at least some if not a lot of grief but in my experiences DMs rarely give you hardship based on your racial choice. Considering you can shocking grasp at any time you'd likely do it before you got into town, or away from an audience anyways which is not hard at all.

Sure you're subject to turn undead and all, but you do still have a party that's there to help, and you have advantage against that roll. Compared to free infinite heals, the occasional zealous cleric/paladin is a negligible issue.

CyberThread
2015-07-22, 03:56 PM
From an RP standpoint even teiflings should get at least some if not a lot of grief but in my experiences DMs rarely give you hardship based on your racial choice. Considering you can shocking grasp at any time you'd likely do it before you got into town, or away from an audience anyways which is not hard at all.

Sure you're subject to turn undead and all, but you do still have a party that's there to help, and you have advantage against that roll. Compared to free infinite heals, the occasional zealous cleric/paladin is a negligible issue.

lol ......

FatherLiir
2015-07-22, 04:26 PM

I suppose we just agree to disagree, maybe it really is as broken as it sounds or the checks and balances all work. Right now I'm not playing a "Soul Stiched" race and won't have an opportunity to anytime soon. It was just an option for the OP.

ThermalSlapShot
2015-07-24, 07:20 AM
What would be the best class and race combo do you think to portray a sort of magic experiment creation that has magical abilties in a sort of brutish nature. Am not thinking something that would be learned but I also don't want to go the stealth or sorcerer route.

Then you don't want Frankenstein, you want Frankenstein's monster.

I would say, for Frankenstein's Monster, go with Earth Genasi or Goliath and then take Monk (Open Hand)

Fluff the Monk and Barbarian levels as growing as a monster and not things learned. Like... When FM gains flurry of blows... That is just a *rage* mechanic.

Barbarian doesn't make you magical monster in the right way as you aren't always a magical monster or I would suggest Barbarian. With a bit of refluff the Monk will work fine.

Plus the Monk can be made Strength based, just not optimal.

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-24, 09:27 AM
Then you don't want Frankenstein, you want Frankenstein's monster.

I would say, for Frankenstein's Monster, go with Earth Genasi or Goliath and then take Monk (Open Hand)

Fluff the Monk and Barbarian levels as growing as a monster and not things learned. Like... When FM gains flurry of blows... That is just a *rage* mechanic.

Barbarian doesn't make you magical monster in the right way as you aren't always a magical monster or I would suggest Barbarian. With a bit of refluff the Monk will work fine.

Plus the Monk can be made Strength based, just not optimal.

Frankenstein's monster was a very, very intelligent, sensitive individual. He learnt two languages within a year of "birth" and was able to speak a third by the end of the novel. He was consistently better at chess than his creator and was able to dress himself almost immediately after getting up. Essentially "a Frankenstein" is as correct as him being an unlearning brute.