PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Dnd Monster Hunter 3.5

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-21, 07:30 PM
Hello people of the playground! If you don't mind me, I'll be silently congratulating myself for getting my first post up on the site EVER after joining.

YAY!

Text is silent, yes? Anyway, I've been working a week or so trying to accurately translate Monster Hunter monsters into a DnD 3.5. I'm very nervous putting my stuff up here, being my first time and all, but I'm hoping you guys won't bulldoze me on my first post and be very insightful with your comments and such.

I've started with the simple (or not so simple, as I came to realize) Pack of Jaggi, Jaggia and Great Jaggi. I apologize if there are typos and redundancies. I got excited over this stuff as its my first true home brewed monsters from scratch and I love the franchise. I'm trying to keep it in the ballpark of Monster Hunter 3U, but I figured I would burn that bridge when I get to making other monsters. I do plan to get working on crafting all the signature items down and pat, but I figured I would start with the monsters for now since I'm the most excited about getting something down on them.

Mind you, I've only been playing for about two years ( I think ), so please be free to correct me on monster 101 formatting and building!

Jaggi
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26hp)
Speed: 40ft. (8 squares)
Initiative: +1, See Alpha's Authority
Armor Class: 14; touch 11; flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex, +3 Natural Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Full-Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2) and 2 Claws +0 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Sudden Hop
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Pack Mentality
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +5 Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 5
Skills: Jump* +13, Move Silently +4, Spot +6, Listen +6, Hide +4, Survival +6
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Temperate Forests and Plains
Organization: Solitary, Scout Group (2-4 Jaggi), Group (2-6 Jaggi with 1-3 Jaggia) or Pack (6-12 Jaggi, 2-4Jaggia and 1 Great Jaggi)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral
Advancement: 5-7 HD (Medium); 8-14 HD (Large);
Level Adjustment: -

Skills: Jaggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Jaggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Pounce (Ex): If a Jaggi charges, it can make a full attack.

Sudden Hop (Ex): As an Immediate Action, a jaggi may perform a self-preserving backwards hop to avoid one attack per round. The Jaggi makes a special Jump check, the result of which becomes the Jaggi’s AC against the attack made against it. If this check is higher than the attack roll made against it, the Jaggi then hops away from the attacker up to its movement speed in a straight line. The Jaggi must hop a minimum of 5 feet away from the attacker. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the attacker it is hopping away from, but may provoke attacks from other enemies. The Jaggi cannot use this ability if it is flat-footed or otherwise unaware of the attack or attacker. If the attacker succeeds at beating the Jump check, then the Jaggi is dealt damage normally and the usage of the hop is used up for the round.

Pack Mentality (Ex): Jaggi are very social creatures. When operating in a group, Jaggi communicate and report to other surrounding Jaggi constantly, allowing for uncanny organization uncommonly found with animals. Jaggi may report and relay information about anything they perceive as a free action to other Jaggi species, allowing other Jaggi able to hear or see it to be aware of prey and predator alike immediately. All Jaggi communicate as if using the skill trick Listen To This (see Complete Scoundrel), allowing precise information and no misunderstanding. Jaggi lose this ability if they cannot hear as they constantly communicate by barks and calls. Jaggi that are by some means silenced cannot update information to other surrounding Jaggi, but if they can still hear then they themselves can be updated and communicated with. For example, within the area of a Silence spell a Jaggi’s Pack Mentality would be rendered completely useless as it cannot be heard and it cannot hear. A solitary Jaggi gains no benefit from Pack Mentality.

Combat: Jaggi respond immediately to danger and developments in their surroundings. If encountering a singular element of prey, they tend to attack in two groups. The first group pounces in an attempt to surround and damage the target. If attacked, they will use Sudden Hop in an attempt to avoid damage. Then members of the second group will replace the ones that Sudden Hop away to keep the prey trapped. When fighting alongside Jaggia, Jaggi will pounce in, and then a Jaggia will Bull Rush in through a gap in the Jaggi to provoke attacks of opportunity. In the event of this, the second group of Jaggi will swarm the prey and attack it viciously in an attempt to kill it quickly.

Jaggia
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15; touch 11; flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 Natural Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full-Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Bull Rush, Sudden Hop
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Pack Mentality
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Jump* +14, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Listen +4, Hide +4, Survival +4
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush
Environment: Temperate Forests and Plains
Organization: Group (2-6 Jaggi with 1-3 Jaggia) or Pack (6-12 Jaggi, 2-4Jaggia and 1 Great Jaggi)
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Medium)

Skills: Jaggia get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Jaggia can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Sudden Hop (Ex): This works the same as the Jaggi Sudden Hop.

Pack Mentality (Ex): This works the same as the Jaggi Pack Mentality.

Combat: Jaggia have different roles than Jaggi due to be bulkier and slower in combat. Generally, Jaggia will follow up Jaggi pounces with Bull Rush attempts on their targets to provoke attacks of opportunity for the surrounding Jaggi.

Great Jaggi
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 8d8+45 (77 hp)
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Initiative: +6
Armor Class: 17; touch 12; flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural Armor, -1 Size)
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+15
Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5)
Full-Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5) and 2 Claws +5 melee (1d6+2), or Tail Whip +10 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Sudden Hop, Tail Whip, Bull Rush, Alpha’s Authority, Call of the Alpha
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +8 Will +2
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 14, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Jump* +20, Spot +8, Listen +8, Survival +8
Feats: Alertness, Track, Power Attack, Improved InitiativeB, Improved Bull Rush
Environment: Temperature Forests and Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pack (6-12 Jaggi, 2-4Jaggia and 1 Great Jaggi)
Challenge Rating: 6
Advancement: 10-14 HD (Large)

Skills: Great Jaggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Great Jaggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Alpha’s Authority (Ex): This works identical to the Jaggi Pack Mentality, in addition to some effects. All jaggi and jaggia that can hear the great Jaggia operate on its initiative count -1 as they wait for orders, if any. This also grants the great jaggi Improved Initiative feat as a bonus feat.

Call of the Alpha (Ex): A Great Jaggi has the outstanding ability to organize and order fellow pack mates and call for help using four different calls. The Great Jaggi may use one of these calls as a Full-Round Action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity.

Attack Order: The Great Jaggi can designate specific targets for its pack to focus their attacks on, be these targets prey of predator. All allied Jaggi and Jaggia gain the benefits of the Fleet of Foot feat (see Complete Warrior) and race their way toward their intended targets, doing their best to eliminate the targets for the duration of this order. They will chase the targets if targets flee, unless given an order otherwise by the Great Jaggi. If all targets are killed during the effect of this order, then all effected Jaggi and Jaggia resume acting normally. This order is usually used to coordinate an ambush against prey or designate a threat to attack. If Jaggi and Jaggia were under the effect of the Defend Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead.

Defend Order: A Great Jaggi orders its pack mates to defend it. All allied Jaggi and Jaggia do their best to surround the Great Jaggi with themselves, forming a blockade to protect their leader from threat. Allied Jaggi and Jaggia will attack any creature they perceive as a threat that enters of comes within striking distance with vicious ferocity. Any adjacent Jaggi or Jaggia to the Great Jaggi may also act as if using the Shield Ally (see Knight class feature in Player Handbook II) feature to take half of the damage dealt to the Great Jaggi if is attacked during the effect of this order. If Jaggi and Jaggia were under the effect of the Attack Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead. This order is normally used if the Great Jaggi is swarmed or is wounded and is planning a retreat.

Reinforcements Call: The Great Jaggi calls nearby members of its pack to it in the form of 1d4+2 Jaggi and 1d3 Jaggia. These arrive, and are ready to act, at the beginning of the next round under the effects of the current order, if one is present. Unlike the other orders, this order has a recharge time of 1d4+1 rounds. All attempts at using this order during this recharge time will have no effect.

Negate Order: The Great Jaggi cancels any standing orders. Allied Jaggi and Jaggia act normally.

Pounce (Ex): If a Great Jaggi charges, it can make a full attack.

Tail Whip (Ex): As a Full-Round Action, a great jaggi may attack all targets within 10 feet of it with its tail. The attacks are all made at the Great Jaggi’s highest attack bonus and using its full strength modifier in damage. It may even hit its own pack mates. However, Jaggi and Jaggia may Sudden Hop away if they are able.

Baggi
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+8 (26hp)
Speed: 40ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14; touch 11; flat-footed 13 (+1 Dex, +3 Natural Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2)
Full-Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+2) and 2 Claws +0 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pounce, Sleep Spit
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Pack Mentality, Cold Resistance 10, Vulnerability to Fire, Sudden Hop
Saves: Fort +6 Ref +5 Will +0
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 5
Skills: Jump* +13, Move Silently +4, Spot +6, Listen +6, Hide +4, Survival +6
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Cold Forests, Hills and Plains
Organization: Solitary, Scout Group (2-4 Baggi), or Pack (6-12 Baggi and 1 Great Baggi)

Skills: Baggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Baggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Saves: Baggi have a +4 racial bonus to saves against sleep effects.

Poison Spit (Ex): Once every 1d4 rounds, as a Standard Action, a Baggi can spit tranquilizing poison as a ranged touch attack up to 10 feet away. Baggi poison has a fortitude save DC 14 or be knocked unconscious for 1d4 rounds, however a creature resumes consciousness if successfully attacked. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Pounce (Ex): If a Baggi charges, it can make a full attack.

Sudden Hop (Ex): As an Immediate Action, a Baggi may perform a self-preserving backwards hop to avoid one attack per round. The Baggi makes a special Jump check, the result of which becomes the Baggi’s AC against the attack made against it. If this check is higher than the attack roll made against it, the Baggi then hops away from the attacker up to its movement speed in a straight line. The Baggi must hop a minimum of 5 feet away from the attacker. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the attacker it is hopping away from, but may provoke attacks from other enemies. The Baggi cannot use this ability if it is flat-footed or otherwise unaware of the attack or attacker. If the attacker succeeds at beating the Jump check, then the Baggi is dealt damage normally and the usage of the hop is used up for the round.

Pack Mentality (Ex): Baggi are very social creatures. When operating in a group, Baggi communicate and report to other surrounding Baggi constantly, allowing for uncanny organization uncommonly found with animals. Baggi may report and relay information about anything they perceive as a free action to other Baggi species, allowing other Baggi able to hear or see it to be aware of prey and predator alike immediately. All Baggi communicate as if using the skill trick Listen To This (see Complete Scoundrel), allowing precise information and no misunderstanding. Baggi lose this ability if they cannot hear as they constantly communicate by barks and calls. Baggi that are by some means silenced cannot update information to other surrounding Wroggi, but if they can still hear then they themselves can be updated and communicated with. For example, within the area of a Silence spell a Baggi’s Pack Mentality would be rendered completely useless as it cannot be heard and it cannot hear. A solitary Baggi gains no benefit from Pack Mentality.

Great Baggi
Large Animal
Armor Class: 17; touch 11; flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural Armor, -1 Size)
Full-Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5) and 2 Claws +5 melee (1d6+2), or Tail Whip +10 melee (1d6+5)
Special Attacks: Pounce, Tail Whip, Alpha’s Authority, Call of the Alpha, Poison Spit
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Cold Resistance 10, Vulnerability to Fire, Sudden Hop
Feats: Alertness, Track, Power Attack, Improved InitiativeB, Improved Bull Rush
Environment: Cold Forests, Hills and Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pack (6-12 Baggi and 1 Great Baggi)
Challenge Rating: 7
Advancement: 9-14 HD (Large)

Skills: Great Baggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Great Baggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Saves: Great Baggi have a +4 racial bonus to saves against sleep effects.

Poison Spit (Ex): This works like the Baggi Sleep Spit with the following exceptions.
The Great Baggi has a range of 15 feet and a fortitude DC of 19. This poison spit attack also has an increased area of effect due to the sheer amount of poison shot, resulting in a 5 foot radius splash from a successfully hit target. The save DC is Constitution based.

Alpha’s Authority (Ex): This works identical to the Baggi Pack Mentality, in addition to some effects. All Baggi that can hear the Great Baggi operate on its initiative count -1 as they wait for orders, if any. This also grants the Great Baggi Improved Initiative feat as a bonus feat.

Call of the Alpha (Ex): A Great Baggi has the outstanding ability to organize and order fellow pack mates and call for help using four different calls. The Great Baggi may use one of these calls as a Full-Round Action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity.

Attack Order: The Great Baggi can designate specific targets for its pack to focus their attacks on, be these targets prey of predator. All allied Baggi gain the benefits of the Fleet of Foot feat (see Complete Warrior) and race their way toward their intended targets, doing their best to eliminate the targets for the duration of this order. They will chase the targets if targets flee, unless given an order otherwise by the Great Baggi. If all targets are killed during the effect of this order, then all affected Baggi resume acting normally. This order is usually used to coordinate an ambush against prey or designate a threat to attack. If Baggi were under the effect of the Defend Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead.

Defend Order: A Great Baggi orders its pack mates to defend it. All allied Baggi do their best to surround the Great Baggi with themselves, forming a blockade to protect their leader from threat. Allied Baggi will attack any creature they perceive as a threat that enters of comes within striking distance with vicious ferocity. Baggi will shoot their Sleep Spit at any target within range they cannot reach with their natural weapons. Any adjacent Baggi to the Great Baggi may also act as if using the Shield Ally (see Knight class feature in Player Handbook II) feature to take half of the damage dealt to the Great Baggi if it is attacked during the effect of this order. If Baggi were under the effect of the Attack Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead. This order is normally used if the Great Baggi is swarmed or is wounded and is planning a retreat.

Reinforcements Call: The Great Baggi calls nearby members of its pack to it in the form of 1d4+2 Baggi. These arrive, and are ready to act, at the beginning of the next round under the effects of the current order, if one is present. Unlike the other orders, this order has a recharge time of 1d4+1 rounds. All attempts at using this order during this recharge time will have no effect.

Negate Order: The Great Baggi cancels any standing orders. Allied Baggi act normally.

Pounce (Ex): If a Great Baggi charges, it can make a full attack.

Sudden Hop (Ex): This works the same as the Baggi Sudden Hop with the following exception.
As part of a successful Sudden Hop, a Great Baggi may in addition also use its Sleep Spit ability if able. This Sleep Spit attack must be centered on one of the squares that the Great Baggi occupied before the Hop was made.

Tail Whip (Ex): As a Full-Round Action, a Great Baggi may attack all targets within 10 feet of it with its tail. The attacks are all made at the Great Baggi’s highest attack bonus and using its ful strength modifier in damage. It may even hit its own pack mates. However, Baggi may Sudden Hop away if they are able.

Wroggi
Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Speed: 30ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15; touch 11; flat-footed 14 (+1 Dex, +4 Natural Armor)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full-Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+3) and 2 Claws +2 melee (1d4+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Poison Cloud
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Pack Mentality, Vulnerability to Cold, Sudden Hop
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +5 Will +1
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Jump* +14, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Listen +4, Hide +4, Survival +4
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, TrackB
Environment: Warm Forest, Hills, Plains
Organization: Solitary, Scout Group (2-4 Wroggi), or Pack (6-12 Wroggi and 1 Great Wroggi)

Skills: Wroggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide, and Survival.
*A Wroggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Saves: Wroggi have a +4 racial bonus to saves against poisons.

Feats: Wroggi have Track as a bonus feat.

Poison Cloud (Ex): As a standard action a Wroggi can force a poison cloud from its mouth that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con. This concentrated poison cloud can be used once every 1d4 rounds at the range of a 5 foot cone (one 5-foot-square) with a Fortitude save DC of 14. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Sudden Hop (Ex): As an Immediate Action, a Wroggi may perform a self-preserving backwards hop to avoid one attack per round. The Wroggi makes a special Jump check, the result of which becomes the Jaggi’s AC against the attack made against it. If this check is higher than the attack roll made against it, the Wroggi then hops away from the attacker up to its movement speed in a straight line. The Wroggi must hop a minimum of 5 feet away from the attacker. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the attacker it is hopping away from, but may provoke attacks from other enemies. The Wroggi cannot use this ability if it is flat-footed or otherwise unaware of the attack or attacker. If the attacker succeeds at beating the Jump check, then the Wroggi is dealt damage normally and the usage of the hop is used up for the round.

Pack Mentality (Ex): Wroggi are very social creatures. When operating in a group, Wroggi communicate and report to other surrounding Wroggi constantly, allowing for uncanny organization uncommonly found with animals. Wroggi may report and relay information about anything they perceive as a free action to other Wroggi species, allowing other Wroggi able to hear or see it to be aware of prey and predator alike immediately. All Wroggi communicate as if using the skill trick Listen To This (see Complete Scoundrel), allowing precise information and no misunderstanding. Wroggi lose this ability if they cannot hear as they constantly communicate by barks and calls. Wroggi that are by some means silenced cannot update information to other surrounding Wroggi, but if they can still hear then they themselves can be updated and communicated with. For example, within the area of a Silence spell a Wroggi’s Pack Mentality would be rendered completely useless as it cannot be heard and it cannot hear. A solitary Wroggi gains no benefit from Pack Mentality.

Great Wroggi
Large Animal
Armor Class: 17; touch 11; flat-footed 16 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural Armor, -1 Size)
Special Attacks: Tail Whip, Alpha’s Authority, Call of the Alpha, Poison Cloud
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent, Vulnerability to Cold, Sudden Hop
Feats: Alertness, TrackB, Power Attack, Improved InitiativeB, Improved Bull Rush
Environment: Warm Forests, Hills and Plains
Organization: Solitary or Pack (6-12 Baggi and 1 Great Baggi)
Challenge Rating: 7
Advancement: 9-14 HD (Large)

Skills: Great Wroggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A Great Wroggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Saves: Great Wroggi have a +4 racial bonus to saves against poison.

Feats: Great Wroggi have Track as a bonus feat.

Poison Cloud (Ex): This works like the Wroggi Poison Cloud except that a Great Wroggi's poison cloud goes outward as a 10 foot cone with a fortitude save DC of 19. The save DC is constitution based.

Alpha’s Authority (Ex): This works identical to the Wroggi Pack Mentality, in addition to some effects. All Wroggi that can hear the Great Wroggi operate on its initiative count -1 as they wait for orders, if any. This also grants the Great Wroggi Improved Initiative feat as a bonus feat.

Call of the Alpha (Ex): A Great Wroggi has the outstanding ability to organize and order fellow pack mates and call for help using four different calls. The Great Wroggi may use one of these calls as a Full-Round Action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity.

Attack Order: The Great Wroggi can designate specific targets for its pack to focus their attacks on, be these targets prey of predator. All allied Wroggi gain the benefits of the Fleet of Foot feat (see Complete Warrior) and race their way toward their intended targets, doing their best to eliminate the targets for the duration of this order. They will chase the targets if targets flee, unless given an order otherwise by the Great Wroggi. If all targets are killed during the effect of this order, then all affected Wroggi resume acting normally. This order is usually used to coordinate an ambush against prey or designate a threat to attack. If Wroggi were under the effect of the Defend Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead.

Defend Order: A Great Wroggi orders its pack mates to defend it. All allied Wroggi do their best to surround the Great Wroggi with themselves, forming a blockade to protect their leader from threat. Allied Wroggi will attack any creature they perceive as a threat that enters of comes within striking distance with vicious ferocity. Wroggi will shoot their Poison Cloud at any target within range they cannot reach with their natural weapons. Any adjacent Wroggi to the Great Wroggi may also act as if using the Shield Ally (see Knight class feature in Player Handbook II) feature to take half of the damage dealt to the Great Wroggi if it is attacked during the effect of this order. If Wroggi were under the effect of the Attack Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead. This order is normally used if the Great Wroggi is swarmed or is wounded and is planning a retreat.

Reinforcements Call: The Great Wroggi calls nearby members of its pack to it in the form of 1d4+2 Wroggi. These arrive, and are ready to act, at the beginning of the next round under the effects of the current order, if one is present. Unlike the other orders, this order has a recharge time of 1d4+1 rounds. All attempts at using this order during this recharge time will have no effect.

Negate Order: The Great Wroggi cancels any standing orders. Allied Wroggi act normally.

Sudden Hop (Ex): This works the same as the Wroggi Sudden Hop with the following exception.
As part of a successful Sudden Hop, a Great Wroggi may in addition also use its Poison Cloud ability if able. This Poison Cloud attack must be centered on one of the squares that the Great Wroggi occupied before the Hop was made.

Tail Whip (Ex): As a Full-Round Action, a Great Wroggi may attack all targets within 10 feet of it with its tail. The attacks are all made at the Great Wroggi’s highest attack bonus and using its full strength modifier in damage. It may even hit its own pack mates. However, Wroggi may Sudden Hop away if they are able.

Inevitability
2015-07-22, 04:57 AM
Just a friendly reminder; creatures with only 2 intelligence are typically not playable. I am not sure if you intended this, but if you want to avoid people playing these the LA should be '-'.

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-22, 08:15 AM
Just a friendly reminder; creatures with only 2 intelligence are typically not playable. I am not sure if you intended this, but if you want to avoid people playing these the LA should be '-'.

Done! Thank you for making me aware of this!

Debihuman
2015-07-22, 08:21 AM
Congrats on your first post!. These are very good for someone new at this. Formatting makes it look nicer (bolding for example) but that will come with time. :-)

Now for the nitpicky stuff because I generally critique all monsters (and if I miss yours just PM me and I'll take a look). There are enough rules that something is bound to overlooked and the more pair of eyes, the better the final version will be. I didn't double check skill numbers because of time constraints.

Jaggi first.

Why do Jaggi have (+5) listed in their Initiative? You should probably add: See Alpha's Authority to explain it.

Jaggi are like dinosaurs which is why their bite is primary and not their claws. It really helps to provide a description for people who aren't familiar with the source material.

Full Attack for Jaggi have claws at +1 melee but it should be +0 melee. They take a -5 penalty for secondary attacks unless they have the multiattack feat (which reduces the penalty to -2 penalty; improved multiattack feat removes the penalty altogether).

Also, primary natural attacks are only 1 and 1/2 strength if they are the creatures ONLY attack. Since this has claws too, it only gets the straight strength modifier. Bite damage is +2 not +3.

Sudden Hop should be an Immediate Action (see here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#immediateActions). The online SRD is a valuable resource and I suggest that you bookmark it.

Here is how I'd reword it: I recommend you look at actions: An Immediate action is like a swift action. Since this can be done when it isn't the jaggi's turn this makes more sense. Also, this prevents the creature from making two immediate actions in one round.

Sudden Hop (Ex): As an Immediate Action, a jaggi may perform a self-preserving backwards hop to avoid one attack per round. The Jaggi makes a special Jump check, the result of which becomes the Jaggi’s AC against the attack made against it. If this check is higher than the attack roll made against it, the Jaggi then hops away from the attacker up to its movement speed in a straight line. The Jaggi must hop a minimum of 5 feet away from the attacker. This movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity from the attacker it is hopping away from, but may provoke attacks from other enemies. The Jaggi cannot use this ability if it is flat-footed or otherwise unaware of the attack or attacker. If the attacker succeeds at beating the Jump check, then the Jaggi is dealt damage normally and the usage of the hop is used up for the round.

You can put all the skills in a Skills section:
Skills: Jaggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival. *A Jaggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

I also applaud your use of skill tricks. Whenever you use material that isn't in the 3 core books, it helps to cite to the book (or online source). Skill tricks are found in Complete Scoundrel. A solitary jaggi gains no benefit from pack mentality.

Jaggi's advancement probably should be: 5-7 HD (Medium), 8-14 (Large). While not a rule set in stone, creatures usually gain a size when they double their HD. It also makes for good symmetry.

I concur that these are not playable as characters because of the Int 2. LA should be - not +0.

Next Jaggia.

See notes above for initiative as that applies here too.

Secondary attacks are -5 penalty (not -4) and because it has two attacks, its bite damage should be +3 not +4.

Great Jaggia

It looks like it has 2 primary attacks. Secondary attacks are -5 penalty (not -4) and because it has two attacks it only uses its strength modifier for damage for all its primary attacks.

I would have rather seen it gain Improved Initiative as a bonus feat by Alpha's Authority since that's what you are really doing.

Because it has multiple attacks its bite damage is only +5 (full strength). You need to state in the special ability that the tail whip damage is 1½ strength. Also, is it really necessary to mention whirlwind feat because that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d6+2) or tail whip +10 melee (1d8+7)

Good saves are +6/poor saves are +3 for 9 HD.

Here is how it looks with formatting and my edits. I moved a few things around for clarity more than anything else.

Great Jaggi
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 9d8+45 (86 hp)
Armor Class: 17 (+2 Dex, +6 Natural, -1 Size), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Full Attack: Bite +10 melee (1d8+5) and 2 claws +5 melee (1d6+2), or tail whip +10 melee (1d8+7)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Alpha's Authority, Bull Rush, Call of the Alpha, Pounce, Sudden Hop, Tail Whip (1d8+7)
Special Qualities: Low-light Vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +11 Ref +8 Will +3
Skills: Jump* +21, Spot +8, Listen +8, Survival +8
Feats: Alertness, Improved Bull Rush, Improved InitiativeB, Power Attack, Track
Environment: Temperature Forests and Plains
Organization: Solitary or pack (6-12 jaggi, 2-4 jaggia and 1 great jaggi)
Challenge Rating: 5
Advancement: 10-12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: —

Alpha’s Authority (Ex): This works identical to the Jaggi Pack Mentality, in addition to some effects. All jaggi and jaggia that can hear the great Jaggia operate on its initiative count -1 as they wait for orders, if any. This also grants the great jaggi Improved Initiative feat as a bonus feat.

Call of the Alpha (Ex): A great jaggi has the outstanding ability to organize and order fellow pack mates and call for help using four different calls. The great jaggi may use one of these calls as a Full-Round Action that provokes Attacks of Opportunity.

Attack Order: The great jaggi designates specific targets for its pack to focus their attacks on, be these targets prey of predator. All allied jaggi and jaggia gain the benefits of the Fleet of Foot feat and race their way toward their intended targets, doing their best to eliminate the targets for the duration of this order. They will chase the targets if targets flee, unless given an order otherwise by the great jaggi. If all targets are killed during the effect of this order, then all affected jaggi and jaggia resume acting normally. This order is usually used to coordinate an ambush against prey or designate a threat to attack. If jaggi and jaggia were under the effect of the Defend Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead.
Defend Order: A great jaggi orders its pack mates to defend it. All allied jaggi and jaggia do their best to surround the great jaggi with themselves, forming a blockade to protect their leader from threat. Allied jaggi and jaggia will attack any creature they perceive as a threat that enters of comes within striking distance with vicious ferocity. Any adjacent jaggi or jaggia to the great jaggi may also act as if using the Shield Ally feature to take half of the damage dealt to the great jaggi if is attacked during the effect of this order. If jaggi and jaggia were under the effect of the Attack Order, they lose the effects of that order and gain the effects of this order instead. This order is normally used if the great jaggi is swarmed or is wounded and is planning a retreat.
Reinforcements Call: The great jaggi calls nearby members of its pack to it in the form of 1d4+2 Jaggi and 1d3 Jaggia. These arrive, and are ready to act, at the beginning of the next round under the effects of the current order, if one is present. Unlike the other orders, this order has a recharge time of 1d4+1 rounds. All attempts at using this order during this recharge time will have no effect.
Negate Order: The great jaggi cancels any standing orders. Allied jaggi and jaggia act normally.

Pounce (Ex): If a great jaggi charges, it can make a full attack.

Tail Whip (Ex): As a Full-Round Action, a great jaggi may attack all targets within 10 feet of it with its tail. The attacks are all made at the great jaggia’s highest attack bonus and using 1½ its strength modifier in damage. It may even hit its own pack mates. However, Jaggi and Jaggia may Sudden Hop away if they are able.

Skills: Great jaggi get a +4 racial bonus to Jump, Move Silently, Spot, Listen, Hide and Survival.
*A great jaggi can always choose to take 10 on a Jump check, even if rushed or threatened.

Debby

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-22, 12:22 PM
Thank you, Debby, for the congrats! It means a lot!

My goodness, I really am new to this. Ill get right on these edits as soon as I can! I greatly appreciate the constructive feedback! Thank you!

Edit: I figured out the BB Code stuff, so that's a plus!

Fixed Jaggi and Jaggia initiative and attacks as well as Great Jaggi attacks and saves. Added "Skills:" panel for all three.
Fixed Sudden Hop to be an Immediate Action. Totally forgot about those when I was writing it up...
Fixed Listen to This to be referenced to Complete Scoundrel.
DID fix Fleet of Foot and Shield Ally references in the Great Jaggi Orders. Shield Ally is a class feature of Knight from Player Handbook II and Fleet of Foot is a feat from Complete Warrior.
Fixed Great Jaggi to be given Improved Initiative as a bonus feat.
Fixed Great Jaggi's Tail Whip.
Changed HD advancement for Jaggi and Great Jaggi.
Changed formatting a bit to be a bit easier to read.

I think that covers it so far, but I feel like I forgot something super, mega, stupid simple. I'll sleep on it and look at it again when I get up and I have fresh eyes and brain cells.

I do want to condense some of the more complex features like Pack Mentality and Sudden Hop so that they don't look like a huge splurge of explanation if I can help it.

I'd also like to know if my CRs are appropriate or not? How obnoxious would you guys think these would be in combat as a full pack? I have a few players on speed dial so I can play test this stuff as soon as this gets closer to the final product.

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-24, 06:53 PM
Monster bump? If there isnt anything else, then I'll start working on the other Jaggi subspecies and pit them up for critique.

Debihuman
2015-07-27, 01:52 AM
They look pretty good to me and I'm looking forward to your other homebrews. Good luck!

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-27, 07:37 AM
They look pretty good to me and I'm looking forward to your other homebrews. Good luck!

Thank you, I appreciate it, and it means a lot! If you're interested, I just put up Baggi and Great Baggi for critique. I will put up Wroggi and Great Wroggi very soon after if this goes well!

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-28, 06:23 PM
And now Wroggi and Great Wroggi are up. Also, I changed Tail Whip damage from (1d8+STR and a half) to (1d6+full STR) to avoid wanting to constantly Tail Whip.

I'm staring to really get concerned about the CRs for these... Is that normal?

Debihuman
2015-07-28, 09:37 PM
Judging CR is really hard. Vorpal Tribble's CR estimator can give a rough estimate.

Vorpal Tribble’s CR Estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5. 4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

Debby

ZenBear
2015-07-28, 10:15 PM
I really wish you made these for 5E cuz I'm a huge Monster Hunter fan but I don't play 3.5 and I don't have time or know-how to translate these amazing homebrew monsters to my preferred edition. Awesome job though!

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-28, 11:18 PM
Judging CR is really hard. Vorpal Tribble's CR estimator can give a rough estimate.

Vorpal Tribble’s CR Estimator

#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5. 4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

Debby

It would seem that getting a rough estimate or ballpark CR is the closest anyone can really do, from what I've been looking at. Doesn't seem too stable IMO when you compare Balor and Tarrasque against each other. Especially since a basic level 3 Wizard can beat a Tarrasque...

BUT, if my math is correct, I think I come to this...

Jaggi
#1. 26hp / 4.5 = 5.7(repeating). Dnd 3.5 rounds down, so I'll settle on 5.
#2. 5 + 0 (14AC) = 5
#3. 5 + 2 (Pounce and Sudden Hop) = 7
#4. 7 + 2 (Scent and Pack Mentality... Low-light vision is negligible) = 9
#5. 9 + 0 (No bonus feats to Jaggi) = 9
#6. 9 / 3 = CR 3

This should also put Jaggia at the same CR.
Great Jaggi should be upwards of CR 8.

I'm going to have to disagree with these as I'm absolutely positive that a 4-5 man party of ECL 5 characters can easily take the Great Jaggi in combat... I think I may have done something wrong by including things that could have possibly been ignored in my ignorance. Do I think a Jaggi is comparable to an Ogre? Not really.

Do I think a stocked and ready party of 4-5 ECL1 PCs can take a singular Jaggi? That depends on what the CR system gauges itself off of, either off of starting packages or actually well thought out level 1 PC characters. This also depends on the experience and familiarity the players of those characters.

As I continue to learn and play 3.5 more and more, the more I seem to disagree with CRs as an actual "Challenge" rating. I almost always look at them exclusively for EXP.

I apologize if my rant went a little too far...

Please let me know I'm wrong or out of line in any way?

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-28, 11:23 PM
I really wish you made these for 5E cuz I'm a huge Monster Hunter fan but I don't play 3.5 and I don't have time or know-how to translate these amazing homebrew monsters to my preferred edition. Awesome job though!

Thanks! I'm working pretty hard to make this somewhat accurate and balanced for 3.5. I've only heard 2nd hand about 5.0, how is it?

Actually, I got some inspiration from a 5th edition monster hunter supplement with info on the whole setting minus world layout. It's got a class, crafting details and MH4U monster manual included. I wouldn't call it a "complete" MH4U remake to 5th edition as it's missing a LOT of monsters, but it will certainly be a lot of fun when you're hunting that Brach and Jho shows up to stomp the show! I would always go off and solo Jho while everyone else did the quest though. Good times... Lemme know if you're interested and I'll be happy to send it your way!

Or if you want to try finding it yourself, google "Doodles and Dragons Monster Hunter Supplement", IF I remember it correctly.

ZenBear
2015-07-29, 11:33 AM
Thanks! I'm working pretty hard to make this somewhat accurate and balanced for 3.5. I've only heard 2nd hand about 5.0, how is it?

Actually, I got some inspiration from a 5th edition monster hunter supplement with info on the whole setting minus world layout. It's got a class, crafting details and MH4U monster manual included. I wouldn't call it a "complete" MH4U remake to 5th edition as it's missing a LOT of monsters, but it will certainly be a lot of fun when you're hunting that Brach and Jho shows up to stomp the show! I would always go off and solo Jho while everyone else did the quest though. Good times... Lemme know if you're interested and I'll be happy to send it your way!

Or if you want to try finding it yourself, google "Doodles and Dragons Monster Hunter Supplement", IF I remember it correctly.

5E is spectacular. I definitely recommend getting into it.

Please, drop me the link!

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-29, 12:39 PM
5E is spectacular. I definitely recommend getting into it.

Please, drop me the link!

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/32ds5k/

I'd PM it to you, but I can't do that from my phone. And I know how painful it is to be excited for something and have to wait, so there you go!
I'm sure the Comm_Nagrom and everyone here won't have a problem with this being up here though.

I'll have to get in touch with one of my buddies that just got the 5th book(s) and see about it again. I didn't like how relatively easy 4.0 was after 3.0/3.5, so I inherently wrote off 5th edition. But I'll be giving it a real chance now! Let me know what you think of the supplement after your first look!

Debihuman
2015-07-29, 12:39 PM
It would seem that getting a rough estimate or ballpark CR is the closest anyone can really do, from what I've been looking at. Doesn't seem too stable IMO when you compare Balor and Tarrasque against each other. Especially since a basic level 3 Wizard can beat a Tarrasque..

Really? Because no level 3 can in my campaign. What kind of power gamers do you play with? Because that seems to be really skewed. I'm thinking either you don't understand how to tactically use a monster in an encounter or you are far too lenient on your players if they can take down a tarrasque at level 3.

BUT, if my math is correct, I think I come to this...

Jaggi
#1. 26hp / 4.5 = 5.7(repeating). Dnd 3.5 rounds down, so I'll settle on 5.
#2. 5 + 0 (14AC) = 5
#3. 5 + 2 (Pounce and Sudden Hop) = 7
#4. 7 + 2 (Scent and Pack Mentality... Low-light vision is negligible) = 9
#5. 9 + 0 (No bonus feats to Jaggi) = 9
#6. 9 / 3 = CR 3

This should also put Jaggia at the same CR.
Great Jaggi should be upwards of CR 8.

That looks about right.

I'm going to have to disagree with these as I'm absolutely positive that a 4-5 man party of ECL 5 characters can easily take the Great Jaggi in combat... I think I may have done something wrong by including things that could have possibly been ignored in my ignorance. Do I think a Jaggi is comparable to an Ogre? Not really.

A 5 man party of ECL 5 is overpowered for CR 5. CR is designed for 4 standard class PCs. If your particular party is tougher than make tougher monsters but don't adjust the CR. A black bear is CR 2 and this is significantly more powerful than a black bear.

Do I think a stocked and ready party of 4-5 ECL1 PCs can take a singular Jaggi? That depends on what the CR system gauges itself off of, either off of starting packages or actually well thought out level 1 PC characters. This also depends on the experience and familiarity the players of those characters.

CR is ALWAYS based on standard 4 party and is only supposed to use 1/4 of a party's resources. What kind of games are you playing?

As I continue to learn and play 3.5 more and more, the more I seem to disagree with CRs as an actual "Challenge" rating. I almost always look at them exclusively for EXP.

First, when designing monsters, you have to think like a DM. I have no idea how much experience you have and whether or not your DM is any good at running monsters optimally.

What this does is attack at dusk when the light is low and it can see perfectly fine but it's prey can't necessarily. Then it uses its bite and claws to pick off party members. How many hit points do your first level PCs have? Because a full attack does on average 19 points of damage.

Debby

ZenBear
2015-07-29, 03:13 PM
Really? Because no level 3 can in my campaign. What kind of power gamers do you play with? Because that seems to be really skewed. I'm thinking either you don't understand how to tactically use a monster in an encounter or you are far too lenient on your players if they can take down a tarrasque at level 3.

It was debated in a thread some months ago. A Wizard casts Fly on themselves and casts from beyond the Tarrasque's reach. It has no ranged attack outside of improvised throwing which per RAW does 1d4 no matter what is thrown and the Tarrasque does not have proficiency to the attack roll. Jumping is an action so it can't attack in mid-air.

A simple ruling of "It throws a house, it does more than 1d4" easily solves the problem but you know how people are about RAW.

Edit: I'm talking about 5E. Whatever level a Wizard can get Fly, might be 5th, AFB.

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-29, 06:53 PM

I am definitely not too lenient when a level 3 Wizard can go find an Allip, cast Command Undead on it, cast invisibility and have it fight the Tarrasque with it's incorporeal-ness and wisdom damage to Touch AC. The Tarrasque drops due to a Wisdom of 0 and you suffocate it any way you want to keep it at -10 hp. Call over an npc to use Wish to keep it dead, or use a Ring of 3 Wishes, or just make a Tarrasque hotdog stand on its back until a villain lets the Tarrasque breath again for another story arc.

A 5 man party of ECL 5 is overpowered for CR 5. CR is designed for 4 standard class PCs. If your particular party is tougher than make tougher monsters but don't adjust the CR. A black bear is CR 2 and this is significantly more powerful than a black bear.

The only thing is that I don't want these to be more powerful than a bear. I want a pack of them to be more powerful than a bear. How can I easily lower their threat so that the correct CR then comes up as 1/2 or 1 for a standard Jaggi?

CR is ALWAYS based on standard 4 party and is only supposed to use 1/4 of a party's resources. What kind of games are you playing?

The breathless Tarrasque says it all. Sometimes I have to deal with crap like that.

First, when designing monsters, you have to think like a DM. I have no idea how much experience you have and whether or not your DM is any good at running monsters optimally.

What this does is attack at dusk when the light is low and it can see perfectly fine but it's prey can't necessarily. Then it uses its bite and claws to pick off party members. How many hit points do your first level PCs have? Because a full attack does on average 19 points of damage.

This is a problem... I want a singular ECL 1 character to be able to take on a Jaggi, but all I have to compare it to in my experience are optimized characters that are ready to murder. Should I be comparing to that, or lower-power characters?

Debihuman
2015-07-29, 09:39 PM
That's assuming that the Tarrasque is as dumb as a rock, which it actually isn't since it has a 3 Intelligence. It will use cover (trees, buildings etc.). It can also rush once per minute to move 150 feet (a fly speed is 60 feet) and then run at 60 feet so it can keep out of range of your fly speed most likely. It only has to deal with the fly spell for 5 minutes.

Where did you get the idea that improvised thrown weapons only did 1d4? That is NOT in the rules.

Improvised Weapons
Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat. Because such objects are not designed for this use, any creature that uses one in combat is considered to be nonproficient with it and takes a -4 penalty on attack rolls made with that object. To determine the size category and appropriate damage for an improvised weapon, compare its relative size and damage potential to the weapon list to find a reasonable match. An improvised weapon scores a threat on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. An improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10 feet. Emphasis mine.

So it can only throw a house 10 foot range increment (50 feet with penalties) or as it is 50 feet tall, it can also drop the house on you.

For each 200 pounds of an object’s weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage).

I am already less than a fan of 5e if thrown things only do 1d4 points of damage.

I am definitely not too lenient when a level 3 Wizard can go find an Allip, cast Command Undead on it, cast invisibility and have it fight the Tarrasque with it's incorporeal-ness and wisdom damage to Touch AC. The Tarrasque drops due to a Wisdom of 0 and you suffocate it any way you want to keep it at -10 hp. Call over an npc to use Wish to keep it dead, or use a Ring of 3 Wishes, or just make a Tarrasque hotdog stand on its back until a villain lets the Tarrasque breath again for another story arc.

Tarrasque is immune to ability damage. Did you even read the entry on a tarrasque? Allips cause ability damage not drain. Also, why do have your level 3 PCs have access to an NPC with a ring of 3 wishes? That is the problem. It's called Monty Haul. BTW, while wish can duplicate a polymorph any other spell, the Tarrasque has spell resistance 37 and the carapace has a 30% of reflecting the spell back at the caster. Good chance of wish still fizzling. Also, it's never good to allow an NPC be the Deus Ex Machina unless absolutely necessary. It takes the focus off the PCs. So the PCs are rather pointless if the NPC had the ring in the first place. I would award no experience for that encounter since it would all go to the NPC.

The only thing is that I don't want these to be more powerful than a bear. I want a pack of them to be more powerful than a bear. How can I easily lower their threat so that the correct CR then comes up as 1/2 or 1 for a standard Jaggi?

No easy way to do this. How many in a pack?

Here's the thing: you will never be able to have a creature from a video game match a tabletop game. It's an approximation.

This is a problem... I want a singular ECL 1 character to be able to take on a Jaggi, but all I have to compare it to in my experience are optimized characters that are ready to murder. Should I be comparing to that, or lower-power characters?

That is CR 1/4. I'm not sure what you REALLY want because there is nothing wrong with the jaggi as CR 3. A single one is a tough encounter for 4 first-level PCs but not impossible.

If you want a CR 1 then these should be Small not Medium and have fewer HD. Then you have to reduce the damage they do and adjust their special abilities accordingly. The problem with reducing them that much is that you'll end up with a wimpy version of what you have and you likely won't be happy with that either.

Debby

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-29, 10:35 PM
Tarrasque is immune to ability damage. Did you even read the entry on a tarrasque?

I apologise I need to watch my words better. I meant Wisdom Drain. Isnt ability drain different from ability damage? And I forgot that Ability Drain is permanent...
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ability_Score_Loss
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/allip.htm

No easy way to do this. How many in a pack?

Here's the thing: you will never be able to have a creature from a video game match a tabletop game. It's an approximation.
This I am finding to be true. I can try, but my inner perfectionist will have to cope. I'll settle for reducing organization group and pack numbers since the Greats can call in more.

That is CR 1/4. I'm not sure what you REALLY want because there is nothing wrong with the jaggi as CR 3. A single one is a tough encounter for 4 first-level PCs but not impossible.

If you want a CR 1 then these should be Small not Medium and have fewer HD. Then you have to reduce the damage they do and adjust their special abilities accordingly. The problem with reducing them that much is that you'll end up with a wimpy version of what you have and you likely won't be happy with that either.

I think you're right and I think the most I would really do is halve the HD for all Jaggi species and subspecies. They're alright as is, even if I may have felt a bit generous with the ability scores and racial bonuses.

Debihuman
2015-07-30, 04:19 AM
Removing Pounce ability from Jaggi would also help reduce CR.

Debby

Network
2015-07-31, 03:39 AM
If we use the Rules Compendium to clear an ambiguity in the SRD, then the Tarrasque can reliably (71.25% chance with Blind-Fight) hit an allip that is 50 feet away by tearing off and using one of its fangs as a thrown weapon (assuming the now detached fang still counts as an epic weapon, of course. Otherwise 20 feet). The allip's incorporeality and invisibility are both considered miss chance from concealment (then again, Rules Compendium), so they don't stack. And if the Tarrasque does hit, it has a good chance to one-hit-kill the allip.

Even assuming your allips do hit before being killed, they will do only 4 points of Wisdom drain at most, so you are going to need at least 4 allips to get the job done (and realistically at least 6). Allips are one of the few undead to not have the ability to reproduce, so good luck getting enough of them at level 3. Even if you do gather them, you are going to need more than Command Undead to get an intelligent undead to obey a suicidal order.

Having said that, I now need to comment on these monsters. I do think the animal type is odd given the mechanics of their pack mentality, but I suppose it has something to do with the source material, which I am not familiar with.

FUBARroflcopter
2015-07-31, 08:46 AM
If we use the Rules Compendium to clear an ambiguity in the SRD, then the Tarrasque can reliably (71.25% chance with Blind-Fight) hit an allip that is 50 feet away by tearing off and using one of its fangs as a thrown weapon (assuming the now detached fang still counts as an epic weapon, of course. Otherwise 20 feet). The allip's incorporeality and invisibility are both considered miss chance from concealment (then again, Rules Compendium), so they don't stack. And if the Tarrasque does hit, it has a good chance to one-hit-kill the allip.

Even assuming your allips do hit before being killed, they will do only 4 points of Wisdom drain at most, so you are going to need at least 4 allips to get the job done (and realistically at least 6). Allips are one of the few undead to not have the ability to reproduce, so good luck getting enough of them at level 3. Even if you do gather them, you are going to need more than Command Undead to get an intelligent undead to obey a suicidal order.

Having said that, I now need to comment on these monsters. I do think the animal type is odd given the mechanics of their pack mentality, but I suppose it has something to do with the source material, which I am not familiar with.
As per Rule Compendium, "An incorporeal creature can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural
abilities. It’s immune to all nonmagical attack forms."

By my look of it, it's not suicidal at all for the Allip, of which I only need one of. Plus, if you can't find one just wait a bit longer and Summon Undead one. The Invisibility is so the Tarrasque can't see the Wizard, but that's just in case he's within the encounter area.

But that was just an example I made to bash CRs. It's not important. The nature of Pack Mentality is supposed to be like theorized Raptor communication methods. Dinosaurs fall into the Animal type and animals always have INT 2, if I remember right. I believe INT 3 is where creatures gain sentience, but that's just how it was explained to me.

This reminds me of whether a Warforged had a soul or not (stemming from someone who wanted a Warforged Lich) in which we determined that they did since they had to be resurrected to come back to life and not just merely repaired.

Network
2015-07-31, 04:48 PM
As per Rule Compendium, "An incorporeal creature can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural
abilities. It’s immune to all nonmagical attack forms."
You must have forgot that part. As per the SRD, the Tarrasque's natural weapons strike as epic weapons (ie. magic weapons with a +6 enhancement bonus). The SRD doesn't state whether natural weapons that count as magic weapons (like the Tarrasque's) can overcome incorporeality, but the Rules Compendium (and MMIII) explicitely let them.

But that was just an example I made to bash CRs. It's not important.
Lots of people bash official content all the time, yet people still homebrew on a broken system. Balancing challenge ratings is one of the hardest parts of monster design, but it is one nonetheless.

The nature of Pack Mentality is supposed to be like theorized Raptor communication methods. Dinosaurs fall into the Animal type and animals always have INT 2, if I remember right. I believe INT 3 is where creatures gain sentience, but that's just how it was explained to me.
True, but then raptors don't have pack mentality in D&D. But since it is extraordinary, I guess it's fine.

This reminds me of whether a Warforged had a soul or not (stemming from someone who wanted a Warforged Lich) in which we determined that they did since they had to be resurrected to come back to life and not just merely repaired.
This depends on your campaign setting I suppose. I tend to treat all constructs as being made by trapping a soul into a body that isn't theirs (except maybe living constructs, which could rightfully have their own soul). But I also tend to allow lich and the like for any living creature, even those that are not considered to have a body/soul duality.

FUBARroflcopter
2015-08-01, 12:11 AM
You must have forgot that part. As per the SRD, the Tarrasque's natural weapons strike as epic weapons (ie. magic weapons with a +6 enhancement bonus). The SRD doesn't state whether natural weapons that count as magic weapons (like the Tarrasque's) can overcome incorporeality, but the Rules Compendium (and MMIII) explicitely let them.
"The tarrasque’s natural weapons are treated as epic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."

Therefore it only counts towards damage reduction, yeah? And doesn't actually count as magic weapons at all?

But we're both pretty good lawyers lol Anything to add on my creatures though? I'm seriously considering halving the HD for all these species current, but the DM I'm working with to put in her anti-magical campaign (of which I will be playing in as a wizard. :P) wants to playtest them. We will see how she likes them. I think she'll love Sudden Hop and Pack Mentality.

Network
2015-08-02, 01:17 AM
But we're both pretty good lawyers lol Anything to add on my creatures though? I'm seriously considering halving the HD for all these species current, but the DM I'm working with to put in her anti-magical campaign (of which I will be playing in as a wizard. :P) wants to playtest them. We will see how she likes them. I think she'll love Sudden Hop and Pack Mentality.
Thanks for the compliment, I could say the same of you. I think these creatures have enough special abilities to make them unique. WotC made an article once about how we should avoid creating new monsters that have too many abilities, not for balance reason but because of the bookkeeping involved (and the fact a monster can only ever use a few special attacks before being killed).

Their Challenge Rating is a bit off, but I would have to compare different analysis methods to be sure.

The MM method is to calculate the CR based on HD, size category, and special abilities. From this we would get the following:
Jaggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality)=3
Jaggia: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality)=2 (you didn't actually mention what the Bull Rush special attack does; if it is like the Push special attack of an earth elemental, add another +1, for a total of 3)
Great Jaggi: 2 (8 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's autority + call of the Alpha + sudden hop)=4 (possibly +1 from push)
Baggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality) +1 (poison spit)=4 (you incorrectly list poison spit as a special quality; it is quite clearly a special attack)
Great Baggi: 2 (8 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's stuff) +1 (poison spit)=5 (6 with push)
Wroggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality) +2 (poison cloud)=5
Great Wroggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's stuff) +2 (poison cloud)=6 (7 with push)

There is also another method that comes from a Dragon Magazine article (can't find which one at the moment), the Challenge Rating guesstimator:
Jaggi: effective HD of about 8, so CR 2.
Jaggia: effective HD of about 8 (9 with push), so CR 2 (or 3 with push).
Great Jaggi: effective HD of about 19 (20 with push), so CR 7.
Baggi: effective HD of about 9, so CR 3.
Great Baggi: effective HD of about 20 (21 with push), so CR 7.
Wroggi: effective HD of about 10, so CR 4.
Great Wroggi: effective HD of about 21, so CR 7.

You can tell this method is slightly less precise than the other one (it places an over-emphasis on hit points and downplays the role of special attacks). We'll average them out later.

Then there is Vorpal Tribble's method, which was already discussed in the thread. If we try it, we get that:
Jaggi: (5.777 (hp) +0 (AC) +2 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=almost 3.
Jaggia: (6.666 (hp) +1 (AC) +2 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Jaggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +5 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=7.
Baggi: (5.777 (hp) +0 (AC) +3 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Baggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +6 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=7.
Wroggi: (6.666 (hp) +1 (AC) +3 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Wroggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +6 (special attacks) -1 (special qualities))/3=7.

For easy comparison, here are the results:
Jaggi: 3/2/3-->average CR of 3. I suggest reducing it by halving the HD and removing pounce; this should make it CR 1.
Jaggia: 3/3/3-->average CR of 3. They aren't really more powerful than the Jaggi, but dropping push would make them like a jaggi with higher ability scores and no scent (is it intentional that they are the only race without scent and pounce?). I think you should just change the CR.
Great Jaggi: 5/7/7-->average CR of 6. Without playtesting, I tend to assume your CR estimation was accurate.
Baggi: 4/3/3-->average CR of 3. A cold region jaggi that spits stuff. I'm not really sure how to tweak it though, I can't even be sure of its current CR.
Great Baggi: 6/7/7-->average CR of 7. It has the ability to spit a small AoE poison, after all, so it is slightly better than the great jaggi.
Wroggi: 5/4/3-->average CR of 4. Poison Cloud is a killer. If you changed the CR to 4 and didn't do anything else, I think it's CR would be perfect.
Great Wroggi: 7/7/7-->average CR of 7. On a low-CR creature, Constitution damage is much more dangerous than sleep (like the baggi does). On the great wroggi, they are about equal.

If you decide to change a creature, you could totally change only the name and CR of the original, make a weaker version of the creature and just give the new creature the old name. That way, you end up with more diversity.

On the other things I noticed, you incorrectly list many special qualities on the special attacks line. Like sudden hop, cold resistance, and vulnerability to cold and fire, which are quite obviously special qualities (they don't let you attack an enemy with them, do not hurt your enemies directly, etc.). You also incorrectly listed one special attack on a special qualities line (sleep spit).

Other questions I have include: 1- how are you supposed to pluralize the nouns?
And 2- how would pack mentality function (if it functions at all) if there are more than one great Xggi in the pack, or if there are Xggi of many different species? Do they even need to be magically compelled to cooperate?

FUBARroflcopter
2015-08-04, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the compliment, I could say the same of you. I think these creatures have enough special abilities to make them unique. WotC made an article once about how we should avoid creating new monsters that have too many abilities, not for balance reason but because of the bookkeeping involved (and the fact a monster can only ever use a few special attacks before being killed).

Their Challenge Rating is a bit off, but I would have to compare different analysis methods to be sure.

The MM method is to calculate the CR based on HD, size category, and special abilities. From this we would get the following:
Jaggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality)=3
Jaggia: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality)=2 (you didn't actually mention what the Bull Rush special attack does; if it is like the Push special attack of an earth elemental, add another +1, for a total of 3)
Great Jaggi: 2 (8 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's autority + call of the Alpha + sudden hop)=4 (possibly +1 from push)
Baggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality) +1 (poison spit)=4 (you incorrectly list poison spit as a special quality; it is quite clearly a special attack)
Great Baggi: 2 (8 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's stuff) +1 (poison spit)=5 (6 with push)
Wroggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +0 (size M) +1 (pounce) +1 (sudden hop + pack mentality) +2 (poison cloud)=5
Great Wroggi: 1 (4 HD/3) +1 (size L) +1 (pounce + tail whip) +1 (Alpha's stuff) +2 (poison cloud)=6 (7 with push)

There is also another method that comes from a Dragon Magazine article (can't find which one at the moment), the Challenge Rating guesstimator:
Jaggi: effective HD of about 8, so CR 2.
Jaggia: effective HD of about 8 (9 with push), so CR 2 (or 3 with push).
Great Jaggi: effective HD of about 19 (20 with push), so CR 7.
Baggi: effective HD of about 9, so CR 3.
Great Baggi: effective HD of about 20 (21 with push), so CR 7.
Wroggi: effective HD of about 10, so CR 4.
Great Wroggi: effective HD of about 21, so CR 7.

You can tell this method is slightly less precise than the other one (it places an over-emphasis on hit points and downplays the role of special attacks). We'll average them out later.

Then there is Vorpal Tribble's method, which was already discussed in the thread. If we try it, we get that:
Jaggi: (5.777 (hp) +0 (AC) +2 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=almost 3.
Jaggia: (6.666 (hp) +1 (AC) +2 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Jaggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +5 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=7.
Baggi: (5.777 (hp) +0 (AC) +3 (special attacks) +1 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Baggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +6 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=7.
Wroggi: (6.666 (hp) +1 (AC) +3 (special attacks) +0 (special qualities))/3=3.
Great Wroggi: (15.4 (hp) +1 (AC) +6 (special attacks) -1 (special qualities))/3=7.

For easy comparison, here are the results:
Jaggi: 3/2/3-->average CR of 3. I suggest reducing it by halving the HD and removing pounce; this should make it CR 1.
Jaggia: 3/3/3-->average CR of 3. They aren't really more powerful than the Jaggi, but dropping push would make them like a jaggi with higher ability scores and no scent (is it intentional that they are the only race without scent and pounce?). I think you should just change the CR.
Great Jaggi: 5/7/7-->average CR of 6. Without playtesting, I tend to assume your CR estimation was accurate.
Baggi: 4/3/3-->average CR of 3. A cold region jaggi that spits stuff. I'm not really sure how to tweak it though, I can't even be sure of its current CR.
Great Baggi: 6/7/7-->average CR of 7. It has the ability to spit a small AoE poison, after all, so it is slightly better than the great jaggi.
Wroggi: 5/4/3-->average CR of 4. Poison Cloud is a killer. If you changed the CR to 4 and didn't do anything else, I think it's CR would be perfect.
Great Wroggi: 7/7/7-->average CR of 7. On a low-CR creature, Constitution damage is much more dangerous than sleep (like the baggi does). On the great wroggi, they are about equal.

THIS. THIS is why I love this site! I never would have thought to take an average of several different CR calculations. Derp.
I'm still juggling halving ALL these guys' HD. It would reduce save DCs and make them squishier and weaker that would demand organization in numbers to come to the same relative lethality.
Pounce is staying on the Jaggi. The DM already loves I'm making these for already loves the Pounce with the Great Xggi Attack Order's Fleet of Foot combo to target key threats.
If I halve HD, then I will add the Push attack to the Jaggia and the Great Xggi with the removal of the their Improved Bull Rush feat. Jaggia do not have pounce or scent because they are the females of the species while Jaggi and Great Jaggi are male. The Jaggi are the bulk of the work force while Jaggia will usually nest, care and defend their young by using their evolved bulk (due to not having to take a scout-like role and more of a defensive role in the pack) to push and maul intruders. Due to there different roles in their environment, they have evolved to fit their station. This can be seen in their intended combat routines as Jaggi swarm with Pounces and Jaggia charge for Bull Rush to move the target in order to provoke Attacks of Opportunity. Under the effect of an Attack Order this in intended to be ferocious as they act on the same initiative. Baggi and Wroggi evolved to other environments and are not subject to Jaggi sexism. However, Baggi developed their Poison that allows them to rush and put prey to sleep to kill easily. Though if their sleep doesn't work, then they have to be able to escape, so they keep thin and sleek frames. Wroggi (Jaggi's tropical cousin) on the other hand, have a poison cloud that kills their prey directly. This with their flamboyant coloring (signalling them as poisonous as a natural means of warding predators) they lose their sleek frames in favor of a stronger physique (Though while I typed this up, I realized that I should probably remove Pounce from Wroggi and Great Wroggi for that reason! Jaggia don't pounce like Jaggi do, so it would only be right to take Pounce away from them due to their Poison Cloud being their favored method of attack before following up with attacks. They wouldn't really charge anyway.). This is the reasoning I'm putting behind it, as these are monsters based from a game that doesn't actually explain in detail like this. But in the game, Baggi act like spitting Jaggi and Wroggi act like coughing Jaggia.

If you decide to change a creature, you could totally change only the name and CR of the original, make a weaker version of the creature and just give the new creature the old name. That way, you end up with more diversity.

I'd rather have one standing model for each species instead of having different ones. That and the DM wants this composed much like the Monster List from the game, of which there are one type of each creature. I like this idea, but I would really rather have something more than just Xggi (I like how you came up with this term!). I hope to be working on Arzuros (Large Bear-like Fanged Beast, should be fairly easy), Lagombi (Large Hare-like arctic subspecies that slides of ice and throws snow/ice balls) and Volvidon (Large Armadillo-like desert subspecies that rolls around and has paralytic spit) next.

On the other things I noticed, you incorrectly list many special qualities on the special attacks line. Like sudden hop, cold resistance, and vulnerability to cold and fire, which are quite obviously special qualities (they don't let you attack an enemy with them, do not hurt your enemies directly, etc.). You also incorrectly listed one special attack on a special qualities line (sleep spit).

Doh! Fixed. At least as far as I can find. I'm pretty sure that I missed something. There's probably something I'm going to edit in this post too, cuz I tend to only be able to work on this when I'm inspired and half asleep.

Other questions I have include: 1- how are you supposed to pluralize the nouns?
And 2- how would pack mentality function (if it functions at all) if there are more than one great Xggi in the pack, or if there are Xggi of many different species? Do they even need to be magically compelled to cooperate?

To pluralize Jaggi is similar to Deer. One deer, two deer, stalked by one Jaggi, two Jaggi, exc. Same goes for their other cousins and such.

Pack Mentality is meant to operate within a single allied pack. I separated Jaggi, Baggi and Wroggi Pack Mentality on purpose so their Pack Mentalities work separate from each others, though they can still communicate to each other as they are all Jaggi subspecies but none of them will be able to tap into each others' Pack Mentalities.

They will, however, rarely actually communicate to each other as they are all fiercely, and mostly stupidly, territorial. A Great Xggi WILL fight a dragon if it was standing of the Great Xggi's turf, so you could say that being in charge turns a Great Jaggi into a dumb bully with minions. For example, Jaggi grow into Great Jaggi. A singular Jaggi progresses to 7-8 HD where it is noticeably stronger than other Jaggi and may become strong enough to challenge it's alpha Great Jaggi pack leader. The Great Jaggi, if it takes notice to this, will either kill or run off the growing Jaggi to hold its station as pack leader. If it is run off and has taken the notice of some of the other Jaggi and Jaggia, it may take others with it to start it's own rival pack. It should only take a single meandering Jaggi pack to start an eventual infestation in an area. Two Great Jaggi will battle for dominance and the victor will win followers and kill any that don't as well as any rival young. This goes the same for Baggi and Wroggi. Should they clash, they would battle until one either flees or is killed, in which the losing pack is either assimilated or wiped out. Stragglers that defect may form a scavenging pack until they have a defined or temporary pack leader, unless they already had one to default to.

I suppose that they would NEED to be magically compelled to work with each other. Though the campaign setting that the DM is making for this is going to have HUGE handicaps to divine and arcane magic due to false pantheons and something that can only easily be explained as the known world being starved of mold-able energies that are normally in abundance to wizards and other arcane casters. I think I remember one of my buddies calling it similar to the "Time of Troubles"? Though, I'm not familiar with it formally.