PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcanist to Technomancer- WHAT DO

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-07-21, 07:36 PM
So, there's a game I'm looking to play a Technomancer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/s-z/technomancer). I've had an idea for this character for a while, but I've never built an arcanist before, and I've been meaning to try one out. I'd rather choose this over a wizard, because... well, I want to play an Arcanist! Also since I am playing a very interesting homebrew race for the setting I am playtesting...

Mana Wight Characters
Ability Score Racial Traits: Mana Wights are physically resilient, being comprised of solidified mana, and they possess an impressive grasp of academics and arcane sciences. Being secluded from the rest of the world has taken its toll on them however. They gain +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Wis
Type: Mana Wights count as Humanoids with the half-undead and mana wight subtypes.
Size: Mana Wights are Medium creatures and thus have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Speed: Mana Wights have a base speed of 30ft.
Darkvision: Mana Wights receive Darkvision 60ft.
Undead Resistances: Mana Wights gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and mind-affecting effects.
Resist Level Drain: Mana Wights take no penalties from energy-draining effects, though they can still be killed if they accrue more negative levels than they have Hit Dice. After 24 hours, any negative levels they've gained are removed without any additional saving throws.
Negative Energy Affinity: Mana Wights are alive, but are healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if they were an undead creature.
Spell Resistance: Mana Wights receive Spell Resistance equal to 11+ their Character Level.
Glow of Magic: Mana Wights naturally glow as bright as a candle. They may suppress by holding their breath, following the same rules as described in the Swim skill.
Spell Like Ability: Mana Wights can use Detect Magic as a constant spell-like ability (the caster level is equal to the user's character level).
Languages: Mana Wights begin play knowing Common and Laquetan. A Mana Wight with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Elven, High Lycan, and Harpy.

Also, they have this alternate racial trait:

Magical Overdrive: Some Mana Wights are more susceptible to magic than their brethren. All spells cast on the Mana Wight function at +2 Caster Level. This trait replaces the Mana Wight’s Spell-Like Ability.

So, assuming this mana wight arcanist takes Potent Magic as his first-level exploit, he can boost a spell he casts on himself to CL 5. If he takes Repair Undead as a spell, he maxes the healing out already! However, beyond this is a bit murky for me. He'd be going into Technomancer at level 7, which surprisingly works, since arcanists just meet the skill and casting requirements just beforehand. However... he'll never be able to get the greater exploits, and his arcane reservoir will never be that big. The PrC requires basically a feat tax, but I don't fret too much since as a caster, less feats are required, and one of them (Technologist) is pretty useful in this world anyway. For the future, I'm not sure what to take; Point-Blank/Precise Shot actually seem pretty useful since- 1) gain proficiency with all firearms from the class, we have TWO gunslingers in the party (Sigh, but at the very least we have all the guns and inexpensive black powder explosives we'll ever need, and the campaign rules allow for advanced firearms... like revolvers!) and 2) tech weapons can be very nice, and I know we will run into several at least. If I nab Consume Items, a way to fuel that would take care of any problem I might have with the arcane reservoir. Scribe Scoll at lower levels works, and Craft Staff can be useful at higher levels (Also, if I place Recharge into a staff, that alleviates any problem with batteries ever). Possibly, I'd like to leave room for me to pick up a technology crafting feat.

For skills I think I have it down, but I need advice for traits. Anything to improve SR would be nice, but I doubt that exists. Actually, picking up Heal would round out the skills needed to identify tech items. I'm not shy about picking up drawbacks, either. Was thinking Caretaker and/or Precise Treatment (though the latter would only be if there isn't another good magic trait I could take).

So, does the playground have any advice?