PDA

View Full Version : Fun With Scrolls

Alistaroc
2015-07-21, 08:18 PM
So, before anything, I'd just like to say that this has been okayed by the me, the DM, as we are playing an irregular, high power D&D campaign with a lot of newer players.
Any books or dragon magazine issues are allowed, with approval. The same goes for homebrew.

I've been helping one of my players build a so-called "Scrollificer," for use in our level 16+ stronghold building campaign. It's based around making cheap items relatively quickly, especially scrolls, which are the main damage output for this class. However, I haven't found many more spells that suit my player's taste for blasting, as most Evocation spells are simply not as good as a select few that I've already found. However, I'm notorious for being blind as a bat, so, question #1:

What are good/great damaging spells for a Scrollificer besides Orb of Force, Channeled Sound Blast, Radiant Assault, Avasculate, and Disintegrate? Please keep in mind that only 1 metamagic is allowed to affect the spell, to prevent Orbs of Force being slung for 360 damage as a swift action.

The Build:
Unseelie Fey Silverbrow Human, Frail and Noncombatant
Artificer 5/Unbound Scroll 5/Legacy Champion 5/Maester 1

1: Artificer 1 Mercantile Background, Apprentice(craftsman), Extraordinary Artisan, Legendary Artisan
2: Artificer 2
3: Artificer 3 Exceptional Artisan
4: Artificer 4 Quicken Spell
5: Artificer 5
6: Unbound Scroll 1 Maximize Spell
7: Unbound Scroll 2
8: Unbound Scroll 3
9: Unbound Scroll 4 Fell-Drain Spell
10: Unbound Scroll 5
11: Legacy Champion 1
12: Legacy Champion 2 Sculpt Spell
13: Legacy Champion 3
14: Legacy Champion 4 Twin Spell
15: Legacy Champion 5 Extra Rings
16: Maester 1 Forge Ring

Due to extremely good roleplaying in our previous campaign, I let him get away with not being a gnome for the Unbound Scroll and Maester PrCs.
I allowed the Legacy Champion's level 4 bonus feat to be Twin Spell rather than a Legacy Feat.
He is a member of Darkspire College, The Guild of Starlight And Shadows, and The One And The Five, giving him 3500gp yearly guild dues, a 5% chance per month to be attacked by mercenaries, and the requirement to spend 1 month each year at the college campus. He has also read Chapter 2 of The Nether Scrolls, giving him Craft Wand, Rod, and Contingent Spell
This build allows him to craft scrolls for 14% gold and 26% XP in 37.5% of the time.
Any other magical items are crafted at 49% of the gold and 51% of the XP cost, also in 37.5% of the time.
Custom XP rules replace the XP cost with ten times its cost in gold.
So a Scroll of 6 Twinned Disintegrates cost around 3500 gold, and takes about a week to craft.
This is overpowered at first glance, but I use a LOT of creatures that have good Reflex saves, Fortitude saves, or are flat out unfazed by magic, such as golems(Demonflesh Golems are quite fun:smallamused:). However, this leads to Question #2:

What are some creatures(or items) that I can use that are difficult for the Scrollificer's spells, and preferably something that gives the melees a chance to shine?

And because powergaming is new and exciting for the entire group, what other classes, homebrew or otherwise, that would help this build using RALI(Rules As Loosely Interpreted:smalltongue:)?

And in closing, does anyone have tips about balancing encounters when one or two players are stronger than the others?

P.S. - I realize my writing can suck, so just ask if something doesn't make sense; I might have just wrote it wrong.

Alistaroc
2015-07-22, 08:49 PM
Bump?

Anyone?

Please?

atemu1234
2015-07-22, 09:10 PM
Bump?

Anyone?

Please?

Give me sources and I'll look into it.

Alistaroc
2015-07-26, 08:16 PM
Give me sources and I'll look into it.

By sources you mean this...?

Any books or dragon magazine issues are allowed, with approval. The same goes for homebrew.