PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Tiefling and Aasimar

DracoKnight
2015-07-21, 10:00 PM
If a Tiefling and an Aasimar were to have a child, what would that child be? How would you stat this out? Would it even be possible in your worlds? Would the Fiend and Celestial heritages cancel each other out giving you a human? How would you handle this?

JNAProductions
2015-07-21, 10:06 PM
If a Tiefling and an Aasimar were to have a child, what would that child be?

Very confused about his/her parenthood.

How would you stat this out?

Probably as a blend of the two, at the player's discretion and DM's approval.

Would it even be possible in your worlds?

I'd say yeah. Humanoid breeding in D&D is pretty rampant.

Would the Fiend and Celestial heritages cancel each other out giving you a human?

No, because that'd be boring. I want interesting.

How would you handle this?

By homebrewing a new race, of course! (Except I suck at homebrewing races.)

mephnick
2015-07-21, 10:19 PM
To preface my answers: I hate both races.

100% special snowflake

How would you stat this out?

Probably with the opposite stats the D&D starlet who asked about this would want. They lose any advantages and gain only disadvantages.

Would it even be possible in your worlds?

Sure, they'd probably just get killed on sight.

How would you handle this?

Killing on sight.

DracoKnight
2015-07-21, 10:20 PM
Probably with the opposite stats the D&D starlet who asked about this would want.

This hasn't been requested by a player. This is purely a DM musing.

zinycor
2015-07-21, 10:30 PM

Whatever he wants to be!!!:smallsmile:

How would you stat this out? Would it even be possible in your worlds? Would the Fiend and Celestial heritages cancel each other out giving you a human? How would you handle this?

I would make the player choose between the stats of Aasimar, Tiefling or Human for stats. Flavorwise, probably half Aasimar on the left, half tiefling on the right, or whatever you find cool.

Ghost Nappa
2015-07-21, 10:45 PM
50% Human, 25% Angel, 25% Demon.

Uhh...

Well, I guess it's definitely got a +CHA.

Give it demonic and angelic aspects but angelize the demon bits and demonize the angel bits. I'm talking about changing the color scheme (black wings?), rounding out horns, and other uh things that I'm sure could be thought of.

I suppose it would look like an angel of death.

Zevox
2015-07-21, 11:27 PM
50% Human, 25% Angel, 25% Demon.
Um, Tieflings and Aasimars aren't half-Fiendish/Celestial. They only have a small amount of Fiendish or Celestial blood in them. In 3e because they're more distant descendants of Fiends or Celestials, in 5e because they're descended of a Human who infused himself with Fiendish or Celestial blood.

Personally? I'd just have it potentially come out as a Human, Tiefling, or Aasimar - no need to come up with some weird cross-breed, just one element of the heritage is dominant enough that the child is effectively that race despite having traces of the other type of outsider in their blood as well, or both outsider heritages are dormant and the child seems entirely Human. For the 5e fluff I'd perhaps remove normal Human as an option, since I get the impression that Tieflings are always supposed to have other Tieflings as children even if they marry someone of another race in this version, and I'd assume that the same will be the case for Aasimars.

Naanomi
2015-07-22, 12:23 AM
And that is where variant humans come from

Dimolyth
2015-07-22, 05:09 AM
Personally? I'd just have it potentially come out as a Human, Tiefling, or Aasimar - no need to come up with some weird cross-breed, just one element of the heritage is dominant enough that the child is effectively that race despite having traces of the other type of outsider in their blood as well, or both outsider heritages are dormant and the child seems entirely Human. For the 5e fluff I'd perhaps remove normal Human as an option, since I get the impression that Tieflings are always supposed to have other Tieflings as children even if they marry someone of another race in this version, and I'd assume that the same will be the case for Aasimars.

That will be my solution too. Choose among Tiefling or Aasimar. The only changes could be languages spoken (depends on backstory) and appearence description (whatever player wants). Maybe reduced average age for fluff (conflicting bloodlines).
Reactions of NPC will be based on appearence mostly.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-22, 05:45 AM
If a Tiefling and an Aasimar were to have a child, what would that child be? How would you stat this out? Would it even be possible in your worlds? Would the Fiend and Celestial heritages cancel each other out giving you a human? How would you handle this?

If it happens in my campaign (one player plays Tiefling one Aasimar or something) I could say they can't get a child. But it's more fun to make a combination. +1 wis +2 cha. Aasimar spells with casting ability cha, hellish resistance and more of that.

+2 cha, +1 in one stat, new spells and res. to necrotic could be even better.

Ralanr
2015-07-22, 07:47 AM
This kid might have ADHD or asthma. At least I think so, that'd be hilarious.

In an ironic (not using the right definition probably) and non-malicious sort of way.

I've wondered the same with pathfinder genetics. The results being full blooded human with either celestial or infernal bloodlines, an Assimar with infernal bloodline, and a tiefling with celestial bloodline.

As special as those snowflakes sound, I think they'd make an interesting set of characters.

JellyPooga
2015-07-22, 08:11 AM

Abomination! None of the weaknesses of either bloodline, but all the strengths of both.

Oh wait, they don't have weaknesses...

If it were me, I'd go with something unusual; wings, claws, devil's sight, a palpable aura of grace...have the mixing of bloods multiply rather than cancel, sort of thing. I wouldn't make it a Player Race, but a unique monster; perhaps even plot-critical ("At the convergence of the three moons a child will be born of darkness and light and his birth will herald the beginning of the End Times" sort of thing). I'd maybe use the Cambion stats as a baseline and adjust slightly for angelic features.

Marlowe
2015-07-22, 08:16 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a1.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a2.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a3.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a4.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a5.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a6.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a7.jpg
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/Joncharlesspencer/a8.jpg

TheOOB
2015-07-22, 10:32 AM
It depends on what exactally tieflings and aasimar are in your world, but in most situations either a)they wouldn't be able to breed, or b) only the mortal portions of both would be compatible and the creature would resemble a mortal more than their semi-divine parents.

For the most part it's humans in D&D that can breed like rabbits with everything(draw what conclusions from that you will), other races tends to be less versatile.

I suppose the child could also be a tiefling or an aasimar. A half and half is just unlikely though.

Millface
2015-07-22, 01:55 PM
I let players do mix races pretty often. If you're Half-Elf or Orc I don't see a problem picking which half is what. It's pretty easy to homebrew a Half-Drow or a Tiefling Genesai. It doesn't come up often, but I can't see why a Water Genesai can't be descendant of a Devil somewhere down the line and get a couple things from both race feature lists and, more importantly, look really exotic.

You could also just say that anything "Planetouched" can't pass down their extra planar DNA unless the breed with a someone touched by the same plane if you don't want to allow it.

For me I would roll, 50/50 for whether the Celestial or Devilish DNA "won out" at conception. They are polar opposites, and I would not allow a creature to have both. The two bloodlines would sort of battle it out, one or neither would survive.

The hostility toward the "special snowflake" thing is atrocious to me. It's a fantasy game, it's the blasted POINT to play something more powerful/beautiful/smart/exotic than you are, I'm not going to punish a player for wanting to play something special as long as it doesn't come with any political or divine clout that would wreck the balance of out of combat scenarios.

I have a Tiefling-Genesai warlock at my table and she loves how the character looks, good for her. She's not any better than any of the other characters just because children stare at her.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-22, 02:15 PM
To preface my answers: I hate both races.

Probably with the opposite stats the D&D starlet who asked about this would want. They lose any advantages and gain only disadvantages.

How was this helpful?

And what is it with this forum and ****ting all over players who have interesting ideas? If you don't find it appealing, you don't have to reply. All you accomplish by putting down someone's idea is looking like an ******* and making someone feel bad about themselves. If the player and the table have fun, that's all that matters.

RazDelacroix
2015-07-22, 07:04 PM
As a veteran Planescape Baby, I would like to toss my two greens in. *ahem*

They had raised her well, even if their child did bring up somewhat... interesting questions.

"Mama, the voices in my head are giving me advice on how to handle the bullies at school. Should I listen to them?"

Mama Warlock, the Maiden (well once-maiden) of Hellfire sighed. "And what is the dark infernal voice telling you?"

"That I should raze all they hold dear and broil them alive before their peers as I exult in my dominance over the fools who perceived themselves to be the masters of my domain."

"As much as I would love to agree, these bullies are also children my Sweet. And are thus beneath your attentions most vile in vengeance. You should listen to that voice that is clear and celestial."

"Okay Mama!" Mama Warlock smiled to herself as her daughter skipped through the house. She was proud of herself, in her youth she would have had no qualms with petty murder. Happily she went back to making her favorite cak-

"PAPA! I NEED TO BORROW YOUR HOLY AVENGER!"

Mama Warlock groaned. For a moment, she forgot how violent the heavens could be in their childishness.

VoxRationis
2015-07-22, 07:52 PM
How was this helpful?

And what is it with this forum and ****ting all over players who have interesting ideas? If you don't find it appealing, you don't have to reply. All you accomplish by putting down someone's idea is looking like an ******* and making someone feel bad about themselves. If the player and the table have fun, that's all that matters.

Are you kidding? I've never seen a community so tolerant of people who want to make unique edge-case characters who by themselves force a total rewrite of the world.

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-07-22, 08:15 PM

Well, I guess it's definitely got a +CHA.

Call it whatever you want, it's using the Half-Elf stats. Because.

Naanomi
2015-07-22, 08:30 PM
Yeah half-elf with it's +1s in wisdom and intelligence; switch out elvish for fiendish, use free language for celestial, and bonus skills for religion and arcana maybe... Say the racial magic got 'muddled away in the mixing bloodlines'

zinycor
2015-07-22, 10:01 PM

Great idea

Ralanr
2015-07-22, 10:41 PM

They had raised her well, even if their child did bring up somewhat... interesting questions.

"Mama, the voices in my head are giving me advice on how to handle the bullies at school. Should I listen to them?"

Mama Warlock, the Maiden (well once-maiden) of Hellfire sighed. "And what is the dark infernal voice telling you?"

"That I should raze all they hold dear and broil them alive before their peers as I exult in my dominance over the fools who perceived themselves to be the masters of my domain."

"As much as I would love to agree, these bullies are also children my Sweet. And are thus beneath your attentions most vile in vengeance. You should listen to that voice that is clear and celestial."

"Okay Mama!" Mama Warlock smiled to herself as her daughter skipped through the house. She was proud of herself, in her youth she would have had no qualms with petty murder. Happily she went back to making her favorite cak-

Mama Warlock groaned. For a moment, she forgot how violent the heavens could be in their childishness.

This is something I'd bother to watch on TV.

Or just read in a book.

1Forge
2015-07-22, 11:24 PM
Live the scenario above, I'd say a mix far more interesting then saying they cancell out. (though saying its lethal would be interesting)

"Planetouched"
+2 cha
True vision: You can see anything alive in 60 ft and instantly know its alignment, a barrier an inch thick will stop this.
You know thameturgy and can cast protection from good/evil once a day. At 5th level you can cast darkness or daylight once per day.
You have resistance to radient and necrotic damage
Holy water harms you and ignores your resistances.
Because of your mixed blood you have two voices in your head that will try to direct your actions, roll a will save when you are dropped to 1 hp you may enter a avenging rage, roll your next damage dice twice and take the highest.

zinycor
2015-07-23, 07:36 AM
True vision: You can see anything alive in 60 ft and instantly know its alignment, a barrier an inch thick will stop this

Way too OP, in 5e there is barely anything that can tell you a creature's alignment, not even paladins can do it now.

Because of your mixed blood you have two voices in your head that will try to direct your actions, roll a will save when you are dropped to 1 hp you may enter a avenging rage, roll your next damage dice twice and take the highest.

this on the other hand is very underpowered. What would even help the character to be at 1 hp and survive? besides, the bonus is way too little to even be considered.

JNAProductions
2015-07-23, 07:40 AM
It's either OP ("Hey guys, our questgiver is actually 100% pure evil") or useless ("Hey guys, those goblins we were sent to kill are totally evil") and either way shouldn't really be there.

Inevitability
2015-07-23, 07:46 AM
I could imagine both parents' families wouldn't be too keen on the idea. Hm... might make for an interesting story hook.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-23, 07:54 AM
Call it whatever you want, it's using the Half-Elf stats. Because.Pretty much where I went with it too.

With horns, possibly.

Ralanr
2015-07-23, 07:55 AM
I could imagine both parents' families wouldn't be too keen on the idea. Hm... might make for an interesting story hook.

Feuding families, now with Angels and Demons.

It's like the Hatfields and McCoys!

Merellis
2015-07-23, 09:25 AM
I'd probably allow it with Half-Elf stat bonuses and changes to the languages known.

As for a character, I'd love for them to build up how hostile and dangerous the household was, just so the party would never want to visit. Sadly they end up in the PC's home village and figure they should pay a visit while there to see just how bad.

Apart from the holy avenger, the demonic blade, and the wrecked armor decorating the walls... The couple is perfectly lovey-dovey, functional, and talks on and on about how their child was so disappointed about the fact there was no big conflicts at home. The character lied the entire time, just to make a good backstory. :smalltongue:

It would just be hilarious to see happen.

1Forge
2015-07-23, 12:40 PM
Way too OP, in 5e there is barely anything that can tell you a creature's alignment, not even paladins can do it now.

this on the other hand is very underpowered. What would even help the character to be at 1 hp and survive? besides, the bonus is way too little to even be considered.

Yeah I guess its a little op... How about you can see celestials abberitions, undead, and fiends for 60 ft one foot of any solid material or one inch of lead blocks this sight.

As for the 1 hp thing instead how about once per long rest?

RazDelacroix
2015-07-23, 02:55 PM
I take a moment to think of any actual basis for any fiend and celestial actually having an offspring outside of mortal dalliances, and I shudder as I remember a particular Monster Manual from the edition of 3.5. The Concordant Slayer. The ultimate Neutral Assassin.

So I kick the idea of basing a homebrewed player race based off of THAT pit-fiend's nightmare to the curb and get back to some original thinking.

Libran

A tiefling's lot in life is filled with distrust and suspicion. An aasimar's lot in life is filled with expectations and alienation. Both benefit and suffer from their respective inheritance of planar bloodlines. Usually when the two meet there is enough tension created from bias bred to make elves and dwarves seemingly chummy. However, rarely something of a romance may blossom and bear fruit. Though usually a child of such unions is either fully an aasimar or tiefling, an uncommon possibility arises as the libran.

Concordant Heritage

Physically the libran appears similar to a human in build, though a particular set of traits from their ancestry may merge and proclaim to the world at large what they are. Usually this creates an appearance of conforming dichotomies. If the libran is pale of skin they would have dark hair, and vice-verse. It is far from unusual for a libran's eyes to be mismatched in colors as well, or for their iris to be composed of two colors.

Any features derived from their tiefling parent would be accented with traits from the aasimar's own. Thick tails can have a light plumage running down to the tip, horns can be bright in hue, etcetera. Skin tones range anywhere from dark red to normal human hues and even through pale blues and greens. Libran physiology lends itself to a generally pleasing symmetric aesthetic.

Opposing Thoughts

The mind of a libran is forged from the very direct conflicts of good against evil, and growing up a libran child often assigns names and personalities to these as a learning measure. A libran finds pleasure in a well-thought argument and derides self-deluding hypocrisies in others. Humor often comes from playing devil's advocate or pointing out rather obvious (if monstrous) solutions to a problem. When speaking with those unfamiliar to them, a libran will often refer to themselves as 'We' while reserving the personal 'I' for friends and family. For a libran, good and evil are black and white. It is the question of which is right or wrong that is intriguing.

Libran Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.

Age. Librans mature at the same rate as humans and usually live for a few years longer on average.

Size. Librans are the same build and size as humans. Your size is Medium.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. Thanks to your planar heritage you share the Darvision trait possessed by tieflings (PHB pg. 43)

Psychic Resistance. A libran's mind is fortified with the very irate at being interrupted personality complex that grants resistance against psychic damage do you mind I am trying to have a civil conversation with myself about the pro's and con's of whether or not to spare your miserable life!.

Concordant Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast dissonant whispers once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach you reach 5th level, you can cast calm emotions once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestia, and Infernal. You might quite often mix up Celestial and Infernal in the same sentence.

DracoKnight
2015-07-23, 03:32 PM
I take a moment to think of any actual basis for any fiend and celestial actually having an offspring outside of mortal dalliances, and I shudder as I remember a particular Monster Manual from the edition of 3.5. The Concordant Slayer. The ultimate Neutral Assassin.

So I kick the idea of basing a homebrewed player race based off of THAT pit-fiend's nightmare to the curb and get back to some original thinking.

Libran

A tiefling's lot in life is filled with distrust and suspicion. An aasimar's lot in life is filled with expectations and alienation. Both benefit and suffer from their respective inheritance of planar bloodlines. Usually when the two meet there is enough tension created from bias bred to make elves and dwarves seemingly chummy. However, rarely something of a romance may blossom and bear fruit. Though usually a child of such unions is either fully an aasimar or tiefling, an uncommon possibility arises as the libran.

Concordant Heritage

Physically the libran appears similar to a human in build, though a particular set of traits from their ancestry may merge and proclaim to the world at large what they are. Usually this creates an appearance of conforming dichotomies. If the libran is pale of skin they would have dark hair, and vice-verse. It is far from unusual for a libran's eyes to be mismatched in colors as well, or for their iris to be composed of two colors.

Any features derived from their tiefling parent would be accented with traits from the aasimar's own. Thick tails can have a light plumage running down to the tip, horns can be bright in hue, etcetera. Skin tones range anywhere from dark red to normal human hues and even through pale blues and greens. Libran physiology lends itself to a generally pleasing symmetric aesthetic.

Opposing Thoughts

The mind of a libran is forged from the very direct conflicts of good against evil, and growing up a libran child often assigns names and personalities to these as a learning measure. A libran finds pleasure in a well-thought argument and derides self-deluding hypocrisies in others. Humor often comes from playing devil's advocate or pointing out rather obvious (if monstrous) solutions to a problem. When speaking with those unfamiliar to them, a libran will often refer to themselves as 'We' while reserving the personal 'I' for friends and family. For a libran, good and evil are black and white. It is the question of which is right or wrong that is intriguing.

Libran Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.

Age. Librans mature at the same rate as humans and usually live for a few years longer on average.

Darkvision. Thanks to your planar heritage you share the Darvision trait possessed by tieflings (PHB pg. 43)

Psychic Resistance. A libran's mind is fortified with the very irate at being interrupted personality complex that grants resistance against psychic damage do you mind I am trying to have a civil conversation with myself about the pro's and con's of whether or not to spare your miserable life!.

Concordant Legacy. You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast dissonant whispers once per day as a 2nd level spell. Once you reach you reach 5th level, you can cast calm emotions once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common, Celestia, and Infernal. You might quite often mix up Celestial and Infernal in the same sentence.

I like this. It works. :)

RazDelacroix
2015-07-23, 04:06 PM
Huh, forgot to add in something about alignment...

Alignment. Libran's do not have an inborn tendency to neutrality, but after suffering through lectures on morality and ethics they usually throw their hands up in the air and say 'Fine whatever!'. Possessed of a natural inclination to think of both sides of an issue, libran's generally gravitate to some form of neutrality. However, if given proper reasoning a libran can be extreme in their outlook on life as well.

1Forge
2015-07-23, 10:04 PM

Libran

Concordant Heritage

Opposing Thoughts

Libran Traits

Darn it, I looked over my homebrew solution for this palne touched race and i gotta say...Yours is way better, im scrapping my old idea.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-23, 11:41 PM
Libran

This is really good. You should post this in the homebrew section!

Inevitability
2015-07-24, 04:21 AM

Libran

Concordant Heritage

Opposing Thoughts

Libran Traits

I really like how you don't try to stitch two different races together, but just give them a completely different theme. Especially as said theme makes a lot of sense.

DracoKnight
2015-07-24, 02:47 PM

Libran

Concordant Heritage

Opposing Thoughts

Libran Traits

I showed this to a fellow DM and he cracked up. He wants to use this whether or not it's actually a mix of the Aasimar and Tiefling in his world. He wants to watch a player RP this as a GOO Warlock: a character who is just ABSOLUTELY insane! :D

1Forge
2015-07-24, 03:09 PM
Yeah gotta say this race is practically UA quality

Belac93
2015-07-24, 03:42 PM
I think this is the best homebrew race I've ever seen.

RazDelacroix
2015-07-24, 04:02 PM
What? Is NO one going to give some criticism about how I have yet to edit in the alignment bit at least?! I mean really, I thought we were all here to give me scathing cruel re- hold on.

Okay, I just had a small chat with a nice person, who reminds me that I need to drink my soda before going to work, and that I should say thank you and probably later tonight I'll put this abomination/homebrew up in the appropriate homebrew section. Thank you for all of the positive feedback!

Whyrocknodie
2015-07-24, 07:47 PM
Aasling, surely.

JellyPooga
2015-07-24, 07:56 PM
Aasling, surely.

Well, that or Tieflimar...

RagingBluMunky
2015-07-25, 02:54 AM
I have an overly complicated solution.

Make it based on alignment/actions.

Born neutral, and starts with human racial traits. If they act (align) good, their celestial bloodline becomes stronger and they lose the human racial traits and gain the Aasimar ones instead.

Conversely, if they act evil, their fiendish bloodline becomes stronger, they lose the human racial traits and gain the Tiefling racial traits.

Passing from one extreme to the other requires passing through the human state. Their appearance matches their dominant bloodline.

Inevitability
2015-07-25, 04:15 AM
Yeah gotta say this race is practically UA quality

Hey, no need to get cruel. :smalltongue:

Seriously though, UA is less balanced than this.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-25, 07:16 AM
Go down the lists of Tiefling and Aasimar traits. For each one, you have a 1/4 chance it manifests.

Physically they look a little off but in a hard to describe way.

RazDelacroix
2015-07-25, 09:41 AM
There, posted at least my own answer for this thread to the homebrew section.

Millface
2015-07-27, 03:11 PM
There, posted at least my own answer for this thread to the homebrew section.

That homebrew is really, really good. It does seem like Wisdom should get a bonus somewhere, maybe.

You have both sides presented to you at all times and you grow up learning how to see which is which and make decisions objectively based on both arguments... that would create either a very insane, or very wise individual.

RazDelacroix
2015-07-27, 03:59 PM
I considered giving the Libran's a Wisdom bonus, but then I was like, 'Wait, you get both sides of the good/evil argument all the time because you keep arguing with yourself all the time... Would that not be really distracting?'

So Libran's are confident (perhaps overly so) and have forceful personalities. However, with that inner-monologuing tendencies they can be dismissive of the world at large until something interesting crops up. That, is my off-hand argument against a Wisdom bonus.

The other reason is that Wisdom is the Aasimar's forte. Bwuahahahahha!

1Forge
2015-07-27, 07:32 PM
Yeah I hope you dont mind if I use this in my game for an NPC. (cuz I already am)

Ouranos
2015-07-28, 10:35 AM

It hurt my sides I laughed so hard at this...

DracoKnight
2015-07-28, 02:47 PM
It hurt my sides I laughed so hard at this...

Ditto. I shared this with my D&D group, and they all cracked up. :D