PDA

View Full Version : Custom Epic Spell: Insert Witty Name Here

carrdrivesyou
2015-07-22, 12:34 AM
I am working on an epic spell for the final campaign ending BBEG, and need some help. The PCs are all vet players that know their stuff. The end goal of this spell is to roll a crap ton of damage dice, but using the average damage dice rules from ELH. The BBEG has +97 total in Spellcraft. The book says that an epic spellcaster may take 10 on this roll, but not take 20. So effectively, I could just cast this on the go without a chance of failure? This is what I have so far. I think my math is right. Anyone know the average roll on 40d20?

Ouch, That Hurts
Seed: Destroy *2 times
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 107
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round (+20DC)
Range: 12,000 ft.
Target: One creature, or up to a 10-foot cube of nonliving matter
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude half DC20+INT bonus
Spell Resistance: Yes
Backlash: 11d6 to self, -11DC
Increase damage die by one step +10DC *4 = +40DC
You deal 40d20 points of damage to the target. The damage is of no particular type or energy—it is a purely destructive impulse. For each additional 1d6 points of damage dealt, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. If the target is reduced to –10 hit points or less (or a construct, object, or undead is reduced to 0 hit points), it is utterly destroyed as if disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. Up to a 10-foot cube of nonliving matter is affected, so a spell using the destroy seed destroys only part of any very large object or structure targeted. The destroy seed affects even magical matter, energy fields, and force effects that are normally only affected by the disintegrate spell, such as Bigby’s forceful hand, wall of force, globe of invulnerability, and antimagic field. Such effects are automatically destroyed. Epic spells using the ward seed may also be destroyed, though you must succeed at an opposed caster level check against the other spellcaster to bring down a ward spell.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 12:39 AM
You could cast it with taking 10, yes.

Average for XdY is (X/2)*(Y+1). For example, average of 40d20 is (20)*(21) = 420. Blaze it up, yo

carrdrivesyou
2015-07-22, 12:48 AM
You could cast it with taking 10, yes.

Average for XdY is (X/2)*(Y+1). For example, average of 40d20 is (20)*(21) = 420. Blaze it up, yo

So the average of the backlash 11d6 would be (11/2)*(6+1) = 5.5*7 = 38.5?