PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character build

DracoKnight
2015-07-22, 03:13 AM
So I rolled some god level stats while sitting down with one of my DMs: 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18. (Yes, we checked to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the dice)

What would you build?

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-22, 03:24 AM
I'd build a MAD character, maybe not optimal, but you're optimal because of your stats.

I always wanted to play a paladin/barbarian/monk/rogue/wizard.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-22, 04:33 AM
You could go for something where the build elements pull in different directions, like a lore-focussed Dragonborn moon druid, or a combination that only works with super stats, like a monk/wizard (only works with high Dex, Con, Wis and Int).

If it were me though, I might ask for a re-roll. Or homebrew up a race with stat penalties (like goblin... or housecat). It might be more fun that way.

rollingForInit
2015-07-22, 07:10 AM
Personally, I'd be happy to build on a concept without super-optimising, and just go for skills. A Paladin that also happens to be realy smart and very wise? A Wizard that happens to be quite beefy and also extremely charismatic?

If you want to optimise, any non-Charisma class with Warlock. Wizard/Warlock? Go ahead with Agonizing Blast. Wizard with some levels of Paladin?

Monk/Paladin?

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-22, 08:27 AM
Half Orc Barbarian or any kind of monk would have 20 AC by level 8. Then feats for days.

Most MAD multi-classes won't really work out for you as well as just getting a normal class and abusing your rolls to get feats out the wazoo.

To take best advantage of your boon, the most MAD classes are: Paladin, ranger, monk, barbarian. Then subclasses that increase MAD are Eldritch Knight, Arcane trickster and bladelock.

A bladelock wouldn't be a bad idea either. Half-elf. 20 Cha, 19 STR and Dex. Then 20/20/20 and Polearm mastery by level 8. Then with your three remaining ASI's... anything you'd like. More con if you'd like. Maybe Resillience (Con), Warcaster and maybe durable if you want to round off the score and gain a benefit of some use. Or if you don't mind an odd score, sentinel.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-22, 08:32 AM
I'd go with a different approach - your PC is clearly The Chosen One, sent by the gods (or fiends) to achieve Great Things.

Favored Soul if your DM will allow it. Wild Magic Sorcerer with Folk Hero background otherwise. You are gifted with so much power you can barely control it, and your destiny is to [insert something you work out with the DM here] - if you can, for the forces of evil (FOEs) are also mighty.

Millface
2015-07-22, 08:55 AM
I would probably nerf the crap out of myself because all 18s doesn't really sound fun at all.

An interesting character trait that ties a hand behind your back somehow could be fun. Someone who's so naturally gifted but squanders his talents more often than not.

The whole "Look how good I am at everything, the gods love me and I'm their HERO" bit is so tired for me, but if you haven't done that before it can certainly be fun for a while!

Fiend Pact Warlock who's pact master is actually present sometimes and in his face about everything he does could be fun too. You're his prized "collectible" and he doesn't want you getting hurt doing silly missions for people. That's on your DM though and whether or not they want to come up with a personality and role-play that with you. I drew up a Cambion for the Warlock at my table and it has been tons of fun trying to sway him to the dark side.

ZenBear
2015-07-22, 10:18 AM
Bard. Buff your allies and generally be a helpful guy/lazy bastard.

Mjolnirbear
2015-07-22, 04:44 PM
Spice it up

The gods gave you this power for a reason. They did not intend you to squander your strength. They intend that you use it.

Literally.

At any time during the game, but no more than once a session, you may sacrifice one stat point of your choice to guarantee the result of any d20 roll.

Charisma roll for the lord to accept peace talks? Called shot to decapitate the rampaging dragon? Breaking free from the illithid's mental hold? Destroying the artefact allowing cthulhu access to your plane? Done, done, done.

In addition to the cost of losing a point from a stat of your choice, your appearance ages by a decade. You suffer no penalties, but the cost is obvious to any with eyes to see.

This is not wish. It will not guarantee success nor failure; somethings are actually impossible. What it does is decide what number comes up. You can affect your roll, or the roll of any NPC who is targeting you or that is acting contrary to the interests of the gods whose powers you weild.

At some point you will reach a level where you no longer wish to sacrifice points. Or perhaps you never wish to. But the gods are unreasoning. If you are in a situation the gods wish to influence something, they may try to force you. You must make a constitution save. The DC is equal to the number of stat points over ten. Thus if you have sacrificed much it will be easier to resist than if you have not. If you fail, you must sacrifice--but the choice of number on the d20 is still yours. Are you spiteful enough to use the gods' power to thwart their ibterests?

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-22, 04:51 PM
So I rolled some god level stats while sitting down with one of my DMs: 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18. (Yes, we checked to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the dice)

What would you build?

Out of curiosity, what stat generation method did you use? Obviously not 4d6 drop lowest, so what was it?

Edit: And in terms of what I would build, probably a Ranger / Bard, who alternates between melee and ranged combat and thus needs Str, Dex, Con, Wis, and Cha. Int would be the dump stat with a 16. Ranger 5 / Bard 6 is one of my favorite MC combos at the moment, and you could do literally anything with the remaining levels and have a BA character with those stats.

Sigreid
2015-07-22, 06:49 PM
I'd go with an ancient's paladin. A shining beacon in the darkness.

Citan
2015-07-23, 07:53 AM
Oh my god. Did you buy a loto ticket on this fateful day when you rolled the dice? Because never seen a legit roll such as this before. XD

There are many many great MAD builds to play with such good stats. I'll post a few examples as soon as I can. :)

Anyways, as long as you stick with one stat for everything (CHA or WIS are obviously the best choices), you can manage easily with only 3 ASI/Feats so feel free to mix and match class abilities. :)

DracoKnight
2015-07-23, 10:36 AM
Out of curiosity, what stat generation method did you use? Obviously not 4d6 drop lowest, so what was it?

It was 4d6 drop the lowest. The 1st roll was two 5s and a 6. The second through sixth was some combination of three 6s and a lower number.

Jamesps
2015-07-23, 11:28 AM
Odds of rolling 5 18's in a row on 4d6 drop the lowest are about:

1 in 895 million.

Call me skeptical. I mean it's bound to happen eventually to someone I guess, I'm not sure how many DnD stats people in the world roll.

Eh.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-23, 11:30 AM

1 in 895 million.

Call me skeptical. I mean it's bound to happen eventually to someone I guess, I'm not sure how many DnD stats people in the world roll.

Eh.

Irrelevant for our purposes, of course. I don't care if his DM let him roll 8d6b3.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-23, 12:07 PM

1 in 895 million.

Eh.

The odds of the 6th stat being 16 or higher push it to 1 out of 6.8 Billion. The entire world could roll for D&D stats and not have it be statistically likely anyone had those. With a playerbase which likely is somewhere between 1 and 10 million, such results shouldn't happen *ever*. I flat out don't believe those stats were generated using that method using dice that weren't weighted. Did the dice happen to look like this?

https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice/6712/Koplow-Character-Builders-Set-of-3-Loaded-Dice

Again, not that it really matters. My belief or lack thereof of the validity of those results doesn't change the DM allowing the character to play using those stats, and is irreverent to the discussion.

Do you have a character concept in mind? With stats like that you'll vastly outshine all other players at the table pretty much regardless unless you're careful, so if you had a concept which you didn't want to use before since it is too weak, now's the time.

For example, a cobbler (one who makes shoes) renowned for the quality of his work, who goes into combat and hurls shoes at people, or while holding them beats his enemies to death with them.

N810
2015-07-23, 12:08 PM

What would you build?

you should be a BardBarian. :smallfurious:
Bonus points if you can get the DM to let you make an AX/Lute combo weapon. :smallbiggrin:
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140718144710/yakuza-mob-roleplay/images/c/c2/Battle_axe_guitar_by_monkeybro0.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8b/57/b5/8b57b51e0dad173f454e8a9dc393bf80.jpg