PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Martial Archetype: Storm Knight

Submortimer
2015-07-22, 05:43 AM
Storm Knight
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that deos the work."
- Mark Twain

“If the storm underestimates your power, nothing happens to him; but if you underestimate the power of the storm, you sink!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan

http://orig11.deviantart.net/bf0e/f/2014/117/f/4/lightning_knight_by_victorgarciapq-d7g7wl4.jpg

(Fluff incoming)

Wrath of the Storm
At 3rd level, you learn the Shocking Grasp and Thunderclap Cantrips, using wisdom as your spellcasting modifier. Additionally, you can thunderously rebuke attackers. Whenever a creature within 5 feet of you hits you with an attack that you can see, you may use your reaction to force them to make a Dexterity saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency modifier + your wisdom modifier). On a failed save, the creature takes 2d8 thunder or lightning damage (your choice), or half as much on a successful save. A creature wearing Metal armor has disadvantage on this saving throw.
After you use this ability, you must complete a short rest before you can do so again. At 10th level and again at 15th level, you gain an additional use of this ability per short rest.

High Voltage
At 7th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon with the power of a storm. Once per turn, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can use a bonus action to deal an additional 1d8 thunder or lightning damage (your choice). At 15th level, this damage increases to 2d8.

Thunderstruck
At 10th level, whenever you deal thunder damage to a Large or smaller creature, you may also push them 10 ft. away from you.

Ride the Lightning
At 15th level, you gain a flying speed equal to your walking speed whenever you are not underground or indoors.

Stormlord
At 18th level, you learn to channel the full fury of a Thunderstorm. You gain the ability to cast Storm Sphere as an 8th level spell without using a spell slot, with a few minor changes: the spell's area is centered on you and follows you as you move, you are immune to the effects of your storm sphere, and you can designate any creatures you can see to also be immune to the effects. Your spellcasting modifier for this spell is wisdom. Once you use this ability, you must take a long rest before you can do so again.

This here is something I just tossed together quickly in response to this thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?429144-Grrrrrr-I-Have-A-Player-Who-Wants-to-Customize-a-Class). It's mostly a straight over conversion of the Tempest cleric abilities, adapted to the fighter frame, with a few changes and a different capstone. I am a LITTLE leery of giving someone flight at 15th level, but i don't think it's break too many games.

Ralanr
2015-07-22, 07:04 AM
Excuse me while I play some AC/DC.

I'd post a link to the song, but I am on a phone.

Submortimer
2015-07-22, 08:31 AM
Excuse me while I play some AC/DC.

I'd post a link to the song, but I am on a phone.

You've inspired me. The names of most of the abilities are changed to reflect the storm knight's innate ability to ROCK.

ZenBear
2015-07-22, 09:59 AM
My first instinct is to call OP on a couple things, namely High Voltage and Ride the Lightning, but then I think of full-casters' access to game breaking 6-9th level spells and I think, "you will still be crushed."

The bonus action damage makes dual-wielding and Polearm Master useless for this class, but oh well. It's raw damage probably out-classes any other melee build, might wanna run some math there.

Dragon Sorcs and other casters get flight, so why not a fighter?

Really cool concept!

Submortimer
2015-07-22, 01:09 PM
My first instinct is to call OP on a couple things, namely High Voltage and Ride the Lightning, but then I think of full-casters' access to game breaking 6-9th level spells and I think, "you will still be crushed."

The bonus action damage makes dual-wielding and Polearm Master useless for this class, but oh well. It's raw damage probably out-classes any other melee build, might wanna run some math there.

Dragon Sorcs and other casters get flight, so why not a fighter?

Really cool concept!

Thanks! The bonus action was an intentional design choice: on the cleric, they do this once per round and its fine, because they only get one attack. A fighter gets 4, so it'd get rather unbalanced. Also, the math is pretty sound: 2d8 is (avg) 9 extra points of damage, where a dual wielder would get 1d8+5 (avg 9.5) and a PM gets 1d4+5 (avg 7.5), with the potential to make that 1d4+15 (avg 17.5).

I felt the same way about the capstone and the level 15 feature: spellcasters are doing MUCH more by then, this won't break anything.

DracoKnight
2015-07-22, 01:09 PM
What is Storm Sphere? I can't find it in the PHB :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-22, 01:11 PM
Thanks! The bonus action was an intentional design choice: on the cleric, they do this once per round and its fine, because they only get one attack.

No matter how many attacks the Fighter gets it's still only once per round. And I don't think it's unbalanced leaving it the way it was in the Cleric's wording, because eventually the EK is casting spells and then attacking.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-22, 07:25 PM
but the EK gets 1 attack with his bonus action. Not really much in the damage boost area. personally i like the bonus action for extra damage because it limits an action economy. i think maybe should be reigned in to a d8 that ugrades to a d12 if it doesnt consume the bonus.

mainly because it your cleric is hitting things with a stick, he saving slots and providing very minor damage contribution. When the fighter hits things with a stick, he is supplying the enemy with a heavy dose of pain.

Submortimer
2015-07-22, 08:31 PM
What is Storm Sphere? I can't find it in the PHB :P

Elemental evil

DracoKnight
2015-07-22, 08:34 PM
Elemental evil

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh

paladin1818
2015-07-23, 11:34 AM
Ride the lightning doesn't seem OP at all. The air clerif gets climb air as a level 3 spell I think. In my opinion this fighter should get it earlier. I love this class already, even without the awesome heavy metal I will be making the bard play while I fight.

GandalfTheWhite
2015-07-26, 04:40 AM
You did a pretty damn good job :D

DracoKnight
2015-11-20, 05:22 AM
Gandalf is right. Damn fine job, sir.