PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to benefit from being feared?

danzibr
2015-07-22, 09:51 AM
Like a feat or item or PrC or race? And by feared I mean any of the fear effects. My google-fu is weak.

The question arose from an episode ot Dr Who in which they say fear can make you stronger, faster, et cetera.

Edit for typos (on phone).

Red Fel
2015-07-22, 09:56 AM
Like a feat or item or PrC or race? And by feared I mean any of the fear effects. My google-fu is weak.

The question arose from an episode ot Dr Who in which they say fear can make you stronger, faster, et cetera.

Edit for typos (on phone).

Dread Witch PrC comes to mind. Any time you're exposed to an effect that makes you shaken, frightened, or panicked, your CL increases (based on the severity of the effect); alternatively, instead of taking the bonus, you may cast an extra spell that doesn't take up a spell slot.

The class is built around basically studying and employing fear, so it makes sense.

hamishspence
2015-07-22, 10:00 AM
There's the Craven feat from Champions of Ruin.

BowStreetRunner
2015-07-22, 10:15 AM
The question arose from an episode of Dr Who in which they say fear can make you stronger, faster, et cetera.

That is a good point that I don't think ever gets treated properly in most RPGs. Fear gives you a boost of adrenaline that can make your fight or flight response that much more potent. It would be fun to add to all fear effects in the game something like +5 ft movement, +2 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON for the duration of the fear effect, regardless of whether you make or fail your save. Those who are actually immune to fear don't have to worry about the downsides, but also don't enjoy the benefits.

Psyren
2015-07-22, 10:23 AM
That is a good point that I don't think ever gets treated properly in most RPGs. Fear gives you a boost of adrenaline that can make your fight or flight response that much more potent. It would be fun to add to all fear effects in the game something like +5 ft movement, +2 STR, +2 DEX, +2 CON for the duration of the fear effect, regardless of whether you make or fail your save. Those who are actually immune to fear don't have to worry about the downsides, but also don't enjoy the benefits.

I think there's a difference between that sort of fear and what D&D considers a "fear effect." Remember that D&D fear starts at "Shaken", which suggests something severe enough to have slightly unhinged you, or at the very least made you less steady on your feet/sure of yourself. It's not the sort of galvanizing fear that can push you to fight better or even to flee better; rather, it's the sort that actively interferes with your self-control. It's nearly Lovecraftian in that respect.

The Viscount
2015-07-22, 01:38 PM
Do you mean benefit from others fearing you? If so, Adoration of the Frghtful is an amazing spell for this, and it's on many lists.

If you mean benefit from being afraid, Dread Witch is the only one I know of.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-07-22, 01:43 PM
Dread Witch PrC comes to mind. Any time you're exposed to an effect that makes you shaken, frightened, or panicked, your CL increases (based on the severity of the effect); alternatively, instead of taking the bonus, you may cast an extra spell that doesn't take up a spell slot.

The class is built around basically studying and employing fear, so it makes sense.

Add onto this the Skulker flaw (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30) that causes you to save vs being shaken every time you're in an opponent's threatened square, and you've basically got an unlimited number of cantrips. Furthermore, a spell with a metamagic feat applied still counts as the same level of spell (unless using Heighten Spell), so RAW you could cast something like Fell Frighten Sonic Snap as your free cantrip from this, since it's still considered a 0-level spell even though it would normally take a 2nd level slot to cast it.