PDA

View Full Version : More Efficient Summoning

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 11:18 AM
What are some non-class-feature ways are there to make Summon Monster a more efficient spell? I'm specifically looking for ways that A) provide more creatures per summon, B) make summoned creatures stronger, or C) let me summon as a standard action, all preferably without increasing the spell level.

For context, I'll be playing a gestalt Archivist 7/Thaumaturgist 3/ Fiendbinder +3/ Thaumaturgist +1/Fiendbinder +3/Thaumaturgist +1/Fiendbinder +1/Archivist +1//Factotum 8/Fiendbinder 1/Malconvoker 4/Fiendbinder +1/Malconvoker +2/Fiendbinder +1/Malconvoker +3, starting at level 8. It looks messy but all you need to know is that I get all ten levels of Fiendbinder, all nine of Malconvoker, and all five of Thaumaturgist, so anything those classes have to offer, I'll already be getting.

I'm also considering dipping one level of Conjurer instead of one of the Malconvoker levels to pick up Spontaneous Summoning and Rapid Summoning, but am not sure where to put the dip. Maybe at character level 11?

illyahr
2015-07-22, 11:21 AM
Epic Level campaign? Make something up and run it by the DM. Seriously. At that point, you're performing god-level shenanigans.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 11:27 AM
Epic Level campaign? Make something up and run it by the DM. Seriously. At that point, you're performing god-level shenanigans.

That's a double slash in the middle there. It's gestalt :smallbiggrin:

Also, starting at level 8.

illyahr
2015-07-22, 11:33 AM
That's a double slash in the middle there. It's gestalt :smallbiggrin:

Also, starting at level 8.

What? Where?

For context, I'll be playing a gestalt Archivist 7/Thaumaturgist 3/ Fiendbinder +3/ Thaumaturgist +1/Fiendbinder +3/Thaumaturgist +1/Fiendbinder +1/Archivist +1 -> // <- Factotum 8/Fiendbinder 1/Malconvoker 4/Fiendbinder +1/Malconvoker +2/Fiendbinder +1/Malconvoker +3, starting at level 8. It looks messy but all you need to know is that I get all ten levels of Fiendbinder, all nine of Malconvoker, and all five of Thaumaturgist, so anything those classes have to offer, I'll already be getting.

There it is! Who knew I'd be playing Where's Waldo with forum posts today? :smallbiggrin:

Ellowryn
2015-07-22, 01:49 PM
While extra actions are nice, i would sugguest swapping the 8 Factotum with Conjurer Wizard and grab the Rapid Summoning and Enhanced Summoning ACF's. There are actually a few other good things, most are in This (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ru6rjede4enh14dnqonu6bc1r2&topic=2791) handbook (with some links to other good handbooks), so check those out.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 02:03 PM
While extra actions are nice, i would sugguest swapping the 8 Factotum with Conjurer Wizard and grab the Rapid Summoning and Enhanced Summoning ACF's. There are actually a few other good things, most are in This (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ru6rjede4enh14dnqonu6bc1r2&topic=2791) handbook (with some links to other good handbooks), so check those out.

I have no interest in dealing with two separate casting progressions, and want to keep Factotum in the build. I'll edit the OP accordingly.

ETA: I could dip Wizard 1 at some point to pick up Rapid Summoning, though, because it's exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe swap it out for a level of Malconvoker at some point where I wouldn't lose any casting? Safe Summoning isn't a particularly stellar class feature.

Thanks for the link to the handbook, though. I'll be sure to take a look through it.

Darrin
2015-07-22, 03:09 PM
Until you get ahold of Rapid Summoning...

Get ahold of some Chaos Flasks (Planar Handbook), free action to make a Wis check DC 13, turn it into a half-pound of Golden Desert Honey (Complete Mage). Assuming the typical spell component weighs about an ounce, that's 8 summon spells that can be cast as a standard action.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 03:22 PM
Until you get ahold of Rapid Summoning...

Get ahold of some Chaos Flasks (Planar Handbook), free action to make a Wis check DC 13, turn it into a half-pound of Golden Desert Honey (Complete Mage). Assuming the typical spell component weighs about an ounce, that's 8 summon spells that can be cast as a standard action.

Oooh, that's a neat trick. The campaign will involve quite a bit of planar travel, so picking up some Chaos Flasks would not be out of line.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-07-22, 03:42 PM
Probably not exactly what you had in mind, but a Ring of the Best in Complete Champion makes Summon Nature's Ally summon creatures as though it was one spell level higher. SNA also gets buffed by Ashbound (ECS) and Greenbound Summoning (LEoF), and an Archivist can easily get access to every level of SNA.

Bullet06320
2015-07-23, 01:55 AM
I will add my vote to the Conjuror with the rapid summoning ACF

and its a pathfinder feat but if allowed you get more critters
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/superior-summoning