PDA

View Full Version : Does Draconic Bloodline AC stack with Unarmored Defense?

Millface
2015-07-22, 11:42 AM
Title says it all. On the one hand, Natural AC was just ruled to be considered not wearing armor.

On the other hand the wording might suggest otherwise as they both say "Your Armor Class becomes 10+Con+Dex" and "Your armor Class becomes 13+Dex".

Logically they should stack, but the way it's worded suggest that you have to pick one or the other.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-22, 11:51 AM
You do indeed pick one or the other. You can of course switch between them freely, should your con rise to where it's better to use, or drop to where it's better to use draconic resilience.

I think you'll find the answers to this question spelled out in detail here:
www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?426921-Sorcerer-Barbarian

Marcelinari
2015-07-22, 11:52 AM
Yes. You pick one or the other. They each calculate your AC based on set equations, in order to cut back on armor-stacking shenanigans.

Millface
2015-07-22, 11:54 AM
I don't see how using Unarmored Defense lessens your natural armor at all, but I understand the need for keeping armor stacking in check, especially this edition. Thanks for the info!

Daishain
2015-07-22, 12:48 PM
I don't see how using Unarmored Defense lessens your natural armor at all, but I understand the need for keeping armor stacking in check, especially this edition. Thanks for the info!
I've been considering a houserule granting one third of a creature's natural armor (rounded down, no minimum) as a bonus while using armor or unarmored defense. (so dragon sorcerer would get a +1 bonus to AC). This keeps natural armor a relevant thing without allowing too much in the way of shenanigans

But still, the only way I'd actually deploy it is with players who aren't going to abuse it.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-24, 06:46 AM
Title says it all. On the one hand, Natural AC was just ruled to be considered not wearing armor.

On the other hand the wording might suggest otherwise as they both say "Your Armor Class becomes 10+Con+Dex" and "Your armor Class becomes 13+Dex".

Logically they should stack, but the way it's worded suggest that you have to pick one or the other.

Of course not, otherwise every monk wants a one sorcerer dip (the lv. 20 monk feature is stupid anyway).
Logically they would stack, but this is 5e, not 3.5.

Ardantis
2015-07-24, 09:38 AM

If Natural Armor was just ruled as "Not Wearing Armor," what, if anything, does it stack with?

I get that Draconic Resilience doesn't stack with Unarmored Defense (from Monk or from Barbarian) but do those abilities stack with Natural Armor, since it's "not armor?"

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-07-24, 09:50 AM
If Natural Armor was just ruled as "Not Wearing Armor," what, if anything, does it stack with?

I get that Draconic Resilience doesn't stack with Unarmored Defense (from Monk or from Barbarian) but do those abilities stack with Natural Armor, since it's "not armor?"

The likely case where this would come up is a wildshaping druid/barbarian or druid/monk build.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-24, 05:16 PM
The likely case where this would come up is a wildshaping druid/barbarian or druid/monk build.

This. It doesn't prevent you from using your Unarmored Defense in place of the natural armor. Also, Mage Armor can still target you, Monk and Barbarian fast movement abilities still apply, the Bracers of Defense still apply, etc.