PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build!

Ralcos
2015-07-22, 12:14 PM
As above, I want some help making a character concept possible for gameplay Pathfinder.

I want to build a Dagger-Based Fighter, using mostly Fighter levels, and the use of dual-wielding or one-handed dagger fighting.

I've been told that this concept would be better suited to be a rogue, but I was wondering how I could make this build viable.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 12:57 PM
Fighter can sort of work for TWF, especially with the Mobile Fighter archetype. You'll be using kukris, though, because TWF fighter is a crit-fisher. Ask if you can take Deadly Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Deadly-Agility-Combat-) for dex to damage with finesse weapons. Take Piranha Strike ASAP and use it on every attack. Consider picking up Combat Reflexes and some way to get 10 feet of natural reach. Long Arm works well (a continuous item is 4000 GP); Enlarge Person is bad for you since you're dex-based. Spend some of your higher-level feats on Critical Focus, two of your favorite critical feats (Blinding is quite nice, and Stunning or Exhausting would be worth the investment in Staggering and Tiring respectively), and Critical Mastery.

Alternately, consider a Slayer. They get sneak attack (which is great with TWF), studied target (which is better than weapon training), and between the Style Feat, Finesse Training, and Combat Trick talents they keep up with a Fighter in terms of bonus feats until level 10 (level 12 is when they start to fall behind). Slayer is less focused on crits, so you probably won't bother with Critical Focus or its follow-ups (although you won't need to, thanks to sneak attack). Everything else (Deadly Agility, Piranha Strike, Combat Reflexes + continuous Long Arm) applies here just as much as it does to the Fighter.

Ralcos
2015-07-22, 01:36 PM
Fighter can sort of work for TWF, especially with the Mobile Fighter archetype. You'll be using kukris, though, because TWF fighter is a crit-fisher. Ask if you can take Deadly Agility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Deadly-Agility-Combat-) for dex to damage with finesse weapons. Take Piranha Strike ASAP and use it on every attack. Consider picking up Combat Reflexes and some way to get 10 feet of natural reach. Long Arm works well (a continuous item is 4000 GP); Enlarge Person is bad for you since you're dex-based. Spend some of your higher-level feats on Critical Focus, two of your favorite critical feats (Blinding is quite nice, and Stunning or Exhausting would be worth the investment in Staggering and Tiring respectively), and Critical Mastery.

Alternately, consider a Slayer. They get sneak attack (which is great with TWF), studied target (which is better than weapon training), and between the Style Feat, Finesse Training, and Combat Trick talents they keep up with a Fighter in terms of bonus feats until level 10 (level 12 is when they start to fall behind). Slayer is less focused on crits, so you probably won't bother with Critical Focus or its follow-ups (although you won't need to, thanks to sneak attack). Everything else (Deadly Agility, Piranha Strike, Combat Reflexes + continuous Long Arm) applies here just as much as it does to the Fighter.

Sweet! I'll keep that in mind!

Psyren
2015-07-22, 03:23 PM
My choice would be Brawler. You get plenty of combat feats and full BAB for that fighter feel, and while your sneak attack is lower you get to do it much more often, plus you get many more attacks thanks to flurry and many more feats since the TWF line aren't eating any of them.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 03:25 PM
My choice would be Brawler. You get plenty of combat feats and full BAB for that fighter feel, and while your sneak attack is lower you get to do it much more often, plus you get many more attacks thanks to flurry and many more feats since the TWF line aren't eating any of them.

You're talking about Snakebite Striker, yes? Either that or there's another Brawler archetype that provides sneak attack that I don't know of.

Not sure how a Brawler would get to apply SA more often than a TWF Fighter would, unless you're suggesting that OP use feints (which actually work pretty well on a Brawler).

Psyren
2015-07-22, 03:27 PM
You're talking about Snakebite Striker, yes? Either that or there's another Brawler archetype that provides sneak attack that I don't know of.

Well, Strangler (kind of) but yeah, I meant SbS.

Not sure how a Brawler would get to apply SA more often than a TWF Fighter would, unless you're suggesting that OP use feints (which actually work pretty well on a Brawler).

They get an ability that lets them flank with themselves, so it's even better than feinting.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 03:44 PM
They get an ability that lets them flank with themselves, so it's even better than feinting.

Hm. That is quite nice. Only from 15th level, though, and only when they're adjacent to the edge of a same-sized enemy's space (it doesn't work on larger foes or when you're adjacent via corners).

Regardless, they're better at flanking than pretty much everyone else starting at 11th level.

How about that archetype's sneak attack scaling, though? Levels 1, 6, 10, 12, and 20.

Psyren
2015-07-22, 04:09 PM
Hm. That is quite nice. Only from 15th level, though, and only when they're adjacent to the edge of a same-sized enemy's space (it doesn't work on larger foes or when you're adjacent via corners).

Sure it does - just designate one corner (on your target's left flank) and 5-foot-step to the other (on your target's right flank), then full-attack.

How about that archetype's sneak attack scaling, though? Levels 1, 6, 10, 12, and 20.

Yes, it's lower - but more of their hits will land (full BAB) so it evens out.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-22, 04:34 PM
Sure it does - just designate one corner (on your target's left flank) and 5-foot-step to the other (on your target's right flank), then full-attack.

Hm. Interesting way to read the ability. I was under the impression that the second and third designated spaces moved with you much like your first one (the one that you occupy) does, but there's nothing supporting that. I guess the designated squares stay in place until your next turn. Nice.

Yes, it's lower - but more of their hits will land (full BAB) so it evens out.

I was commenting on how weirdly uneven the scaling is.

Psyren
2015-07-22, 05:43 PM
Ah! Yeah, it's wacky. More ACG bad edits it seems

grarrrg
2015-07-22, 09:02 PM
Ah! Yeah, it's wacky. More ACG bad edits it seems

Not so much a "bad edit" as it is poorly thought out:
"Sneak Attack replaces 'Martial Flexibility' and these are the levels you would get Martial Flexibility bonuses, so we're going to make those the exact same levels you get +Sneak Attack".
I guess the real question is why Martial Flexibility goes 1, 6, 10, 12, 20 in the first place?

Strangler isn't much better, but at least follows similar logic.

Ralcos
2015-07-23, 12:34 PM
This is a lot of good advice! I'll keep this in mind when I build the character.