PDA

View Full Version : Even death may die

FabulousFizban
2015-07-22, 10:57 PM
I want to roll up a cthulhu cultist, a servitor of the great old ones. I was looking at the cleric class for it, but nothing seems to quite fit.

Any sort of deranged caster would be fine though.

What are your thoughts on build options for a CE cultist of Azathoth?

PhantomRenegade
2015-07-22, 10:59 PM
Wouldn't a Warlock with a great old one pact fit this to a T? Its abilities gifts given so the cultist could further it's god's agenda?

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-22, 11:00 PM
I want to roll up a cthulhu cultist, a servitor of the great old ones. I was looking at the cleric class for it, but nothing seems to quite fit.

Any sort of deranged caster would be fine though.

What are your thoughts on build options for a CE cultist of Azathoth?

Any particular reason not to go with a Great Old One Warlock?

Sigreid
2015-07-22, 11:01 PM
Well, the obvious answer is that this is literally what the Great Old One warlock is for. If that doesn't appeal, I would consider a diviner or abjuration wizard. either one could turn creepy really quickly.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-22, 11:29 PM
If you have access to the DMG there is a cleric death domain on page 96.

FabulousFizban
2015-07-22, 11:59 PM
Any particular reason not to go with a Great Old One Warlock?

Because i am dumb & have not looked at the class. That will be shortly rectified.

EDIT: sooo i looked at it. Warlock would defintely work, but i was looking for a manipulator, not a blaster.

What struck me immediately was the synergy between detect thoughts & awakened mind - thats the sort of thing im going for: making others believe theyre crazy cause theyre hearing voices that seem to read their mind, but the warlock spell list is so combat focused. I want like, divination & compulsion stuff. Any ideas here?

Also, i think i deserve an award for best runon sentence. That is all.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-23, 12:03 AM
Because i am dumb & have not looked at the class. That will be shortly rectified.

I don't mean to laugh, but this post goes perfectly with your avatar's expression.

As far as the Wizard idea, should 'lock not fit; wasn't there a mad, rhyming wizard in the first Neverwinter game?

Flashy
2015-07-23, 02:46 AM
What struck me immediately was the synergy between detect thoughts & awakened mind - thats the sort of thing im going for: making others believe theyre crazy cause theyre hearing voices that seem to read their mind, but the warlock spell list is so combat focused. I want like, divination & compulsion stuff. Any ideas here?

Have you considered Knowledge Cleric? That kind of mental manipulation/divination is pretty much exactly their thing. They don't technically have detect thoughts on their spell list, but their 6th level channel divinity is essentially a detect thoughts spell that gives you a free casting of suggestion at the end of it.

FabulousFizban
2015-07-23, 02:49 AM
Also, is there any way for the warlock to get thunderwave?

Flashy
2015-07-23, 02:59 AM
Also, is there any way for the warlock to get thunderwave?

Magic Initiate, or asking the DM if you can swap it out for a 1st level patron spell.

FabulousFizban
2015-07-23, 03:28 AM
Magic Initiate, or asking the DM if you can swap it out for a 1st level patron spell.

does magic initiate's casting at the lowest level supercede the warlock's casting at the highest level? How does that interact?

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-23, 04:08 AM
does magic initiate's casting at the lowest level supercede the warlock's casting at the highest level? How does that interact?

You can cast it once at its lowest level without using a slot. Casting it otherwise uses a slot, and would be just like any Warlock spell, of the highest level possible. You don't have to use the "free" casting before using it out of a slot.

Steampunkette
2015-07-23, 04:28 AM
Talk to your GM about swapping some lock spells out, to be less blasty, and bringing some cleric and wizard stuff in, for better control. Most are pretty cool about someone giving up damage for control, since it makes for interesting combats and reduces overall party damage.

Plus a lot of control is concentration based which kills hex as an option in control intensive fights.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-23, 06:35 AM
When I see "manipulator", I think "Enchanter". Cultist working subtly behind the scenes to prepare the world for the day when Great Cthulhu rises from Ry'leh. So, wizard. Ask your DM about some home brew rituals to add cultist flavor without being particularly powerful; 10 minutes of casting to cast a modified Conjuration spell that gives you a night gaunt for one minute isn't broken.