PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Maul of the Molten Sky, and other items I make in my spare time.

Ralanr
2015-07-22, 11:50 PM
So seeing a bunch of subclass homebrew in the last few days I've been feeling like sharing a few things (because I haven't made anything new in a while) that I made. I don't build classes ever since I can't think of the balance to work in.

Gladiators Gauntlets: Uncommon magic item (Requires Attunement)
-While attuned to these gauntlets (which are more like leather hand wraps) you may chose one fighting style off the fighter list excluding the defense style. You cannot chose a style you already know.

I think reattuning shouldn't allow you to change your choice. I made these (never used em) because I got annoyed with no fighting style choices for straight barbarian. Not the best reason, but it's better than the reason for this next monster.

Hammer of The Molten Skies
Legendary (or Artifact)
Base Weapon: Maul 2d6 bludgeoning damage.

Minor properties:
-Temperate: The bearer suffers no harm in temperatures as low as -20 F or as warm as 120 F
-Unbreakable: The item cannot be broken.

Requires Attunement: When attuning this item, fiery chains sprout from the base of the hilt and wrap around the forearm of the arm you use to fight. During the hour of attunement the character takes:
1d6 fire damage every ten minutes (Or just 1 hour worth of this if you have shorter short rests)
This damage cannot be reduced or avoided, bypasses immunity (redundant but still) and the damage cannot be healed during the process.
When finished the chains disappear, though their mark is burned into your skin.

While Attuned: The weapon is bound to you by soul, with just a thought it may return to you.
+3 to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon 1d6 fire damage on hit.

Thrown property: Normal range 20, max range 60 feet (Using Dwarven Thrower stats. Might increase distance)
As an action you can throw the weapon, when thrown the burning hot chain returns and connects the weapon to your arm, you take no fire damage despite the heat it releases. Any creatures hit by the hammer take an extra 1d6 bludgeoning damage and 2d6 fire damage. The hammer stays in place where it lands, whether it hit or not, until called back. You can call back the hammer as a bonus action. Any creature in the hammers path on return takes 1d4 bludgeoning and 1d4 fire damage. The chain deals 1d4 fire damage to anything that comes into contact with it, and cannot be broken. Its return cannot be stopped. The weapon takes the form of a small meteor when thrown.
You gain fire resistance.
You gain proficiency with smiths tools.

So this is kinda a monster made up of Flametongue, immovable rod, and dwarven thrower. When I first made it, it was due to ridiculous items teammates got (We were level 3...and the eldrich knight got the rod of lordly might. I was miffed. DM said she gave us powerful items (I got the iron flask...I'm playing a barbarian) for story reasons so it helps explain how we, "Survive this place" we end up at near the end of the year. Which was psuedo hell). The actual pull back mechanic was an idea I had in one combat session where I wanted to use the rope of the enemy to smash him into someone.

I'm thinking of marking it down to a +2 weapon due to it being, "incomplete" story wise. My character is currently using it and he'll be level 10 power level when the school year starts back up.

Also, why did I make it so the hammer hurts you during attunement? Because I think attunement is a damn cool mechanic and should be played with more. What if these weapons have built in defenses to make sure certain people don't use them? What if they have tests built in? This hammer tests you, it makes sure that you're worthy!

Lore wise: Still working out the kinks. Basics- Unfinished weapon forged by dwarves with metal from a fallen star (meteor). It's actually not truly a weapon, rather it is meant to create the true weapon. Need to run by it with my DM. I have a few abilities in mind for it being fully powered up, but it's late and I should sleep.

I have other magic items somewhere on my comp. A magical club that uses force damage, hates swords, and wants to become the most famous weapon ever (because screw swords) and a shield with four settings for controlling effects. If people are interested I'll look for those.

Submortimer
2015-07-24, 01:56 AM
Totally dig this stuff. The hammer is very legendary, the gauntlets are a great idea. I don't totally agree about the fighting style thing: I'd let the player choose a new one following a long rest, but they couldn't reattune in the middle of the day to get a new one.

Steampunkette
2015-07-24, 02:45 AM
I'm with Mortimer. Too cool for school.

Ralanr
2015-07-24, 08:08 AM
Thanks. I'll post some of my other ones later, and I might even make new ones on the spot.

Crafting magic items is my third favorite thing in world building, beaten only by building cultures and making gods.

Ralanr
2015-07-24, 08:21 PM
Introducing, Ripple!
I used artifact creation rules.
Ripple
Weapon (club) Artifact (requires attunement: Quest to set it on path to become a famous weapon/DM's discretion.)

+1 to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon.
Whenever you are attacked by an enemy with a sword, make a Strength check to bypass its hit roll. If successful then you take no damage (Ripple blocks it)
Gain advantage on attacks against enemies with swords.
When wielding this weapon you treat your melee weapon attacks as if you had 20 str. If you already had twenty strength then this need not apply.
When you hit a creature with a melee attack you may make it roll a DC 17 constitution save. On a failure, the target takes 6d6 force damage and stunned for a minute. On a successful save the target takes half damage The target may roll their constitution save each turn, decreasing the DC by 2 with every attempt, if it succeeds then the effects end. If it fails the effect repeats itself.
Sentience

Stats
Cha: 18
Wis: 8
Int: 10

Has hearing and darkvision (Based on sensing vibrations) up to 120 feet.
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Glory seeker: This item seeks renown as the greatest magical item in the world, as such it tends to focus on actions that lead its wielder to become a famous hero or legend. As boastful as it is, it will never claim a deed it or its wielder has not accomplished.
Talent: Great at impersonations
Mannerisms: Speaks loudly, usually without noticing it.
Traits: Arrogant and Hot tempered
Bond: Swords are jerks, they need to be brought down a peg.
Flaw: inferiority complex

The item can speak, read, and understand common.

Whenever one imagines heroes of legend, there is always one weapon that comes naturally to them. Swords. Swords, swords, and more swords. It seems that almost every hero of legend uses a sword rather than say an ax, a spear, or even a flimsy little club. They use swords so much that they come in so many different shapes and sizes! This wooden club hates swords, feeling that they're too overhyped. So they can stab or cut stuff, big deal! They're too flimsy to really last long in a “real” fight anyway. This club wants to show the world that swords aren't the best weapons, that they shouldn't be getting all the glory while other weapons seem to get covered in dust, or only get used by the hands of villains or thugs.
The club will do anything it feels it needs to gain a step over swords, and tends to pick fights (much to the displeasure of its wielder) with people who either A) wield a sword B) mock it C) mock its wielder or D) do all of the above. If its wielder backs away from confrontation it will usually try and start a fight. It also doesn't respond well to being asked to be quiet, unless asked politely. Secretly the club thinks that it and weapons like it are indeed worthless, and that it's only kidding itself by trying to prove otherwise, never changing anything.

And a shield that has four different settings. Yes, four settings.

Magical shield (Need a name)
Uncommon to rare
+1 to AC rather than +2
Requires Attunement
Design: Work on later
Ability: The shield has four settings, each setting showcasing a different symbol for its type. A star for Radiant, a skull for Necrotic, a cloud for Thunder, and an Arrow for Force pointed in the direction of firing. As a bonus action you can grab the edge of the shield to spin it, rolling 1d4 to choose the setting. 1 R, 2 N, 3 T, 4 F. If you do this you get +2 to the save DC of the ability it lands on for one round. Activating the ability takes up one action, but you can also manually set the setting within the same action.
Star: You fire a ball of light (Like a mini star) up to 45 (maybe 60) feet. When it hits the ground it explodes forward into a cone of 15 (maybe 30) ft of bright light. Creatures caught in the cone must make a dex save or be blinded for 1d4 (or 1d6) turns. The save DC is 8+your proficiency+Dex Mod. A creature can roll to break the DC on their turn, if successful the affects end immediately.
Skull: You fire a small skull that wails in sorrow as it flies up to 30 feet. Upon contact with the target, the skull melts away, covering a 15 ft radius in black shadows. Creatures standing in the shadows must make a will save or be frightened for 1d4 rounds. The DC is 8+your proficiency+Wis Mod. Frightened creatures must do anything they are able to remove themselves from the area and cannot approach the caster (shield barer). A creature can roll to break the DC on their turn, if successful the affects end immediately.
Cloud: Fire the Shatter spell with the following differences: 2d4 thunder damage and are deafened for 1d4 rounds, instead of 3d8 on a failed save, half on a successful save. The DC is 8+your Proficiency+ Con Mod. A creature can roll to break the DC on their turn, if successful the affects end immediately.
Arrow: Fire the Magic Missile spell with the following changes: 1 dart, 2d8 force damage, creature hit must make a strength save, on a failure the creature knocked prone (or stunned for 1d4 rounds). DC is 8+Your proficiency+ Str Mod.

Sentience: The item has four separate personalities, each taking hold depending on the setting. The item can only communicate empathically to those holding it and/or equipping it (The curse may remove this and make them talk).
Senses: hearing and normal vision out to 120 feet.
Radiant: 13 Cha, 10 Int, 11Wis.
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Personality: Radiant is incredibly sadistic, tingling in pleasure when it hears the screams of those it has blinded. It desires to blind as many people as possible permanently, encouraging the wielder to fire it off as many times as possible.
Necrotic: 14 Wis, 12 Int, 8 Cha
Alignment: Neutral Good
Personality: Sorrow emanates from the shield as Necrotic takes over, causing some wielders to even shed tears while holding it. Despite the other minds in the shield, Necrotic feels alone. Its desire is to seek the shields creator, for it feels there is something that it cannot remember, a time before the shield. Despite the mockeries of the others when told of it, Necrotic still desires to know. Necrotic often feels like a child in sorrow.
Cloud: 13 Int, 14 Wis, 14 Cha
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Personality: Thunder hates being contained, it wishes to be heard, loud and booming! ENEMIES SHOULD RUN AND HIDE! COWER IN FEAR AS THE THUNDER ROLLS ACROSS THE SKY! Hot-blooded and vigorous, Thunder often tries to push its wielder to go beyond their limits and prove their glory!
Arrow: 15 Int, 11 Cha, 13 Wis
Alignment: Neutral
Personality: WIP.

Curse: When equipped with this item, the wielder takes on traits of the personality that is set on the shield. When changing settings the traits change as well. A remove curse spell will remove this curse.

Ralanr
2015-07-29, 04:45 PM
Had ideas for new magic (or shall I say anti-magic) weapons.

The Philistine's Paperweight
Rarity: Very rare to legendary.
1d8 greatclub (requires attunement)

While attuned to this item, you have disadvantage on saving throws against spells

Whenever you are under the effects of/take damage from a spell from a hostile enemy, your strength increases depending on the slot level used to cast the spell (minimum one). This bonus disappears after you attack.

The Staff of Index.
Staff, legendary (requires Attunement and the ability to cast up to level 7 spells).

While attuned to this staff, once per day you may pick one spell of a level you can cast (up to level 7) from any spell list. You must do this when preparing your spells, but this spell doesn't cost a slot to cast unless casting it on a higher level than the spell is. You do not need material components for this spell, but otherwise you cast it normally (duration for casting is unchanged).
In addition, if you are the target of a spell you may cancel the spell. The spell is stored within your staff until you choose to caste it, when you do it is considered as the spell you prepared earlier. You can only do this once per long rest.

This...I don't normally think of caster items so I have no idea what to think here.

Thoughts?

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-31, 10:36 AM
Had ideas for new magic (or shall I say anti-magic) weapons.

The Philistine's Paperweight
Rarity: Very rare to legendary.
1d8 greatclub (requires attunement)

While attuned to this item, you have disadvantage on saving throws against spells

Whenever you are under the effects of/take damage from a spell from a hostile enemy, your strength increases depending on the slot level used to cast the spell (minimum one). This bonus disappears after you attack.

5e try's to steer away from the PC having to muss with the raw stats of there sheet on a frequent basis. The most I've seen is when they use the stats mod items. I would just give a + to hit and damage = to the spell slot used, or even just advantage on their next swing and add the slot level x2 as bonus damage.

The Staff of Index.
Staff, legendary (requires Attunement)

While attuned to this staff, once per day you may pick one spell of a level you can cast (up to level 7) from any spell list. You must do this when preparing your spells, but this spell doesn't cost a slot to cast unless casting it on a higher level than the spell is. You do not need material components for this spell, but otherwise you cast it normally (duration for casting is unchanged).
In addition, if you are the target of a spell you may cancel the spell. The spell is stored within your staff until you choose to caste it, when you do it is considered as the spell you prepared earlier. You can only do this once per long rest.

This...I don't normally think of caster items so I have no idea what to think here.

Thoughts?

The wording on this one was confusing enough that I had to reread it 3 times. But this is what I've got out of it.

After you finish a long rest, you can choose a spell from any spell list of up to 7th level.
You are considered to know/have prepared this spell.
1/day you can cast the selected spell without expending a slot or materials.
Additionally you can counter and store any spell, this countered spell is then copied and treated in the same respect as the spell prepared with this item, giving you 2 free spells. . .

Anyway more later.

I feel that this is a very powerful item, did you intend for it do be attuned by anyone?

Ralanr
2015-07-31, 02:08 PM
5e try's to steer away from the PC having to muss with the raw stats of there sheet on a frequent basis. The most I've seen is when they use the stats mod items. I would just give a + to hit and damage = to the spell slot used, or even just advantage on their next swing and add the slot level x2 as bonus damage.

The wording on this one was confusing enough that I had to reread it 3 times. But this is what I've got out of it.

After you finish a long rest, you can choose a spell from any spell list of up to 7th level.
You are considered to know/have prepared this spell.
1/day you can cast the selected spell without expending a slot or materials.
Additionally you can counter and store any spell, this countered spell is then copied and treated in the same respect as the spell prepared with this item, giving you 2 free spells. . .

Anyway more later.

I feel that this is a very powerful item, did you intend for it do be attuned by anyone?

First part: didn't know much into that.

Second: You've pretty much got the abilities down. I've meant this for only classes with spell slots, but know that I think about it it's broken on warlocks.

Steampunkette
2015-07-31, 11:07 PM
See... This thread makes me wish WotC would hire you on as a creative for a Magic Item Compendium. We need new blood in the Bazaar of the Bizarre.

Ralanr
2015-07-31, 11:26 PM
See... This thread makes me wish WotC would hire you on as a creative for a Magic Item Compendium. We need new blood in the Bazaar of the Bizarre.

That's a grand compliment, didn't think they were that interesting (I mean I hopped).